Subject: Problem with telnet login

From: Brian Sulcer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 09:59:16 -0500 (CDT)

I recently upgraded one of our machine's base packages and other packages
to the latest 1.1 versions.  Now when attempting to telnet to the machine,
a connection is established, the issue file is printed and then we see this:

You must exec login from the lowest level shell.
Connection closed by foreign host.

Anyone have a clue on what might be the cause of this?  Any suggestion
would be helpful.  Thanks.

-- 
Brian Sulcer <[email-masked]>  |  Gibson USA
System Administrator               |  Nashville, Tennessee
Worldwide Net Services             |  (615) 871-4500 ext 275

---

From: Guy Maor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 16:19:41 -0500 (CDT)

> Connection closed by foreign host.

There appears to be some utmp corruption and login isn't checking for
it.  login-1.0.5 should fix this (it just checks if the entry is stale;
there's still a race condition somewhere corrupting it).

You can get this package off master.debian.org in /debian/Incoming.  I
will do a dinstall run later today so if it's not there, look in
/debian/unstable/binary/base.  Or wait a day or 2 for it to hit your
mirror.

Temporarily you can fix the problem by starting an xterm and killing it.
That will clear out the dud utmp entry.

Guy

---

From: Gerry Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 09:33:18 -0600 (MDT)

I remember seeing in the kernel mailing list that pre2.0.13 breaks
incoming telnets.  Are you by chance using this kernel? 

Gerry
[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Sulcer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 12:10:14 -0500 (CDT)

> incoming telnets.  Are you by chance using this kernel? 

It turns out that the problem was with the version of login I had installed.
The maintainer pointed me to the newest version and that fixed the problem.
Thanks to all who responded.