Subject: Re: kernel header files

From: Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jun 1996 04:48:32 -0400

Hi,
>>"Lawrence" == Lawrence Chim <[email-masked]> writes:

Lawrence> I don't know why there is a libc5-dev.

	This provides all kinds of libraries in /usr/lib/* and headers
 in /usr/include; without which it is impossible to compile any
 program.

Lawrence> If I install a new kernel, it comes with its only kernel
Lawrence> headers.  Is it necessary to install lib5-dev in order to
Lawrence> compile programs.

 Yes.

Lawrence> Also, if I install libc5-dev, can I still install a newer
Lawrence> version of linux kernel whenever it is available.
 
 Yes.

	manoj
-- 
 If a student has to study, he will claim that the course is
 unfair. Johnston
Manoj Srivastava               Systems Research Programmer, Project Pilgrim,
Phone: (413) 545-3918                A143B Lederle Graduate Research Center,
Fax:   (413) 545-1249         University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003
<[email-masked]> <URL:http://www.pilgrim.umass.edu/%7Esrivasta/>

---

From: [email-masked] (J.H.M.Dassen)
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 12:16:05 +0200 (METDST)

> I don't know why there is a libc5-dev.  If I install a new kernel,
> it comes with its only kernel headers.  Is it necessary to install
> lib5-dev in order to compile programs. 

Yes. The kernel headers are not enough to compile even a normal "Hello, world!"
program. <stdio.h> etc are libc headers, and are in the libc5-dev package.

> Also, if I install libc5-dev,
> can I still install a newer version of linux kernel whenever it is
> available.

Yes. As I understand it, the kernel source does not use the /usr/include/asm
etc; it uses its own linux/include/asm.

The only reason that libc5-dev contains kernel headers is that the kernel
headers change quite often, and have broken normal compilation a couple
of patchlevels back.

Hope this helps,
Ray
-- 
POPULATION EXPLOSION  Unique in human experience, an event which happened 
yesterday but which everyone swears won't happen until tomorrow.  
- The Hipcrime Vocab by Chad C. Mulligan

---

From: Lawrence Chim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 18:09:10 +1000

I don't know why there is a libc5-dev.  If I install a new kernel,
it comes with its only kernel headers.  Is it necessary to install
lib5-dev in order to compile programs.  Also, if I install libc5-dev,
can I still install a newer version of linux kernel whenever it is
available.

libc5-dev: The Linux C library version 5 (development files).
 -  Includes libc headers, kernel headers (v2.0) and static libraries.

---

From: Rob Browning <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jun 1996 03:34:04 -0500

Lawrence Chim <[email-masked]> writes:

> Is it necessary to install lib5-dev in order to compile programs.

Yes

> it comes with its only kernel headers.

Install libc5-dev and read  /usr/doc/libc5-dev/FAQ.gz.

> Also, if I install libc5-dev, can I still install a newer version of
> linux kernel whenever it is available.

Yes, use the kernel-package package if you want to roll your own.
It's still in the experimental section because the user interface may
change, but it works great.  You can also just use the debian
kernel-source pakages if you are happy recompiling the version that
debian has available.

--
Rob