Subject: inconsistency between base and sysvinit packages!

From: Carlos Carvalho <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 08:46 EST

I tried to send this to debian-bugs, but it hasn't been delivered for
2 days, so I'm posting it here as well.

Carlos
------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <[email-masked]>
Subject: Returned mail: Cannot send message for 2 days
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 1996 16:26:50 -0700

   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
451 [email-masked]... timeout waiting for input
421 master.debian.org (TCP)... Deferred: Connection reset by peer during greeting wait with master.debian.org

[headers trimmed]

The newer base packages create /dev/tty* with permission rw-rw----.
This causes an error when you try to open an xterm/rxvt window. They
quit with "couldn't open a pseudo-terminal" msg. I don't know whose
fault it is.

However, the newest sysvinit has this command in the boot script:

chmod 666 /dev/tty[pqrs]*

So there seems to be a disagreement between the maintainers, no?

Carlos
PS: please Cc: me, I don't get debian-bugs.

Carlos
------- end -------