Subject: Re: superuser telnet login refused

From: Paul Wade <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 19:15:32 -0400

Thanks to all who replied. I only do this with systems that
are not connected to the internet. This one is experimental,
but I like to have an old 386 system for making kernels or
whatever. I edited the /etc/passwd file to set paul and root
to have no password. Now, I just telnet in as paul and do an
su. If the machine was connected to the Internet, I would
only allow telnet logins of "guest" type. The reason for this
crude setup is that I have virtual IP running and the Win95
box is getting web, ftp, samba, and telnet services from the
Linux server. I can jump over to the telnet window to change
a cgi script and then go to the browser window and test it.
I would like to convert to a Linux client. Has anybody had
good results running X on a 486DX-66 with 8mb? The 386's
are working great as test servers! I am seeing a 2 mbit/sec
ftp rate on a machine built from "leftovers".

Paul Wade
Backwoods Hacker E-Zine - "Roughing it in a digital world"