Subject: Adding a Lilo boot

From: Noam Rettig <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 12:02:35 -0500

I have msdos on /dev/hda1 and linux on /dev/hda2.  I know that lilo can be
configured to boot with either one at startup by pressing the TAB key.  How
can I add the DOS image to my startup.

TIA,

Noam Rettig
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 96 13:10 EDT

Noam Rettig writes:
  Noam>  I have msdos on /dev/hda1 and linux on /dev/hda2.  I know that lilo
  Noam> can be configured to boot with either one at startup by pressing the
  Noam> TAB key.  How can I add the DOS image to my startup.

You have to read the LILO documentation in /usr/doc/lilo, or in a decent book
as "Running Linux". If you are _really_ lost, email me in private.

--
Dirk Eddelb"uttel                             http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd

---

From: Craig Sanders <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 09:09:58 +1000 (EST)

On Sat, 15 Jun 1996, Noam Rettig wrote:

> I have msdos on /dev/hda1 and linux on /dev/hda2.  I know that lilo
> can be configured to boot with either one at startup by pressing the
> TAB key.  How can I add the DOS image to my startup.

in /etc/lilo.conf

other = /dev/hda1
   label=dos
   table=/dev/hda

then run lilo again.

BTW, the answer to this (and also to your previous question) is well
documented and easy to find in the man pages & other documentation which
comes with debian.  If you want to get the full benefit of running a
unix OS you've got to be willing to RTFM - just having a notebook full
of 'magic tricks' isnt good enough, you have to understand what you're
doing.

'man' is an essential command.  get to know it, try 'man man' for more info.

'info' is for reading the manuals in /usr/info contains GNU info
documents.  IM0 it is an ugly and clumsy format but for some programs it
is the only on-line documentation available. The 'emacs' editor can also
view info documents and, according to emacs users, is a lot nicer to
use.

/usr/doc is a directory containing compressed documentation files and
examples for every debian package.  Lots of good stuff in here!

Craig