Subject: Re: DEBIAN-Re: logging in takes ages

From: Jim Rush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 18:06:42 -0600

My problem, since upgrading is similiar.  I get the prompt, enter username
and password and then wait.  It seems to be account related.  I can go to
other virtual terminals and log in as other users, but if I try the same
user, that
terminal will also hang.  Typicall hang times seem to be as bad as 30 seconds.

Note, I almost always log in as root, so my problem may be root specific.

                Jim

At 08:26 AM 6/18/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Erick Branderhorst wrote:
>> 
>> Hi all,
>> 
>> Some dos oriented machines can acces my Debian box via a wd network
>> card connected via coax. For some time this went pretty well, the login
>> prompt showed up in 1 or 2 seconds. This isn't the case anymore, it takes
>> approx 15 to 30 seconds before the login prompt shows up. any body having
>> a clue why this is taking so long?
>> 
>> Erick
>
>Here's a clue:
>
>I built a 2.0.0 kernel that used dynamically loadable modules whereever
>possible. I get delays during system startup and sometimes when I use
>other network-related processes. It's not killing me, but I will be
>getting around to building kernels that are "tuned" for the typical role
>of each machine. I haven't analyzed it, but suspect that some longer
>delays are caused because more than a single kernel module needs to be
>loaded. This is just an opinion based on disk sound. 
>
>
>Paul Wade - Greenbush Systems
>
>********************************************
>* http://www.wtop.com/ - THE OTHER WEBSITE *
>********************************************
>
>
>
  .oooO Oooo.    
  (   ) (   )    [email-masked]
   \ (   ) /     
    \_) (_/      Wake me when it's over

---

From: Paul Wade <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 21:45:18 -0400

> Note, I almost always log in as root, so my problem may be root specific.

Let me clarify what I did:

	I downloaded the new kernel from Finland before it was mirrored
in the US. I built it, booted it and got the new delays. I usually log
in via telnet from a Windoze system and then su to root with no delay.
If you have an user account that responds fast, log in with it and then
su root. It will be interesting to see if you get the delay on root that
way.

***********************************************************************
* http://www.wtop.com/ - THE OTHER WEBSITE forever under construction *
***********************************************************************

---

From: Michael Meskes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 14:25:15 +0200 (MET DST)

Dale Scheetz writes:
> I had this same problem on my R6 system, even after upgrading base and
> devel the problem continued. After upgrading some of the admin (I don't
> remember which, but cron was among them) packages, the problem went away.
> Seems to be some longwinded bookkeeping going on.
> 
> Try upgrading the admin section and see if that fixes it.

Not the complete section. Just sysklogd. This seems to be the well known
sysklog problem again. Simply removing the /dev/xconsole in /etc/syslog.conf
may work, too.

Michael

-- 
Michael Meskes                   |    _____ ________ __  ____
[email-masked] |   / ___// ____/ // / / __ \___  __________
[email-masked]                  |   \__ \/ /_  / // /_/ /_/ / _ \/ ___/ ___/
[email-masked]                |  ___/ / __/ /__  __/\__, /  __/ /  (__  )
Use Debian Linux!		 | /____/_/      /_/  /____/\___/_/  /____/

---

From: Dale Scheetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 08:16:55 -0400 (EDT)

Luck,

Dwarf

------------                                          --------------

aka   Dale Scheetz                   Phone:   1 (904) 877-0257
      Flexible Software              Fax:     NONE 
      Black Creek Critters           e-mail:  [email-masked]

------------ If you don't see what you want, just ask --------------

---

From: Kevin M Bealer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 01:04:10 -0400 (EDT)

> Paul Wade - Greenbush Systems

This looks exactly like a well-known bug .. possible in syslogd or
sysklogd.  It no longer happens for me -- perhaps upgrade things some.

I keep up with the mirrors so I am usually only a week or so behind the
distribution.

My current Kernel is 2.0.0 and my sysklogd package is 1.3-6.
My libc is 5.2.18-8 and sysvinit is 2.62-1.

(hope this helps.)

[email-masked]
Error: this signature should not appear.  If you see this signature, ...