Subject: stty vs setserial

From: Dale Scheetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 13:21:30 -0400 (EDT)

I can point setserial at a particular port, but can't seem to tell it to
set the stop bits to two.
I can tell stty to set the stop bits, but can only seem to use it while on
the tty in question. Is there any way to point stty at the port I want
changed?

TIA,

Dwarf

------------                                          --------------

aka   Dale Scheetz                   Phone:   1 (904) 877-0257
      Flexible Software              Fax:     NONE 
      Black Creek Critters           e-mail:  [email-masked]

------------ If you don't see what you want, just ask --------------

---

From: Rob Browning <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Jun 1996 16:07:34 -0500

> the tty in question. Is there any way to point stty at the port I want

Unless I'm mistaken, the paradigm is

stty options < /dev/tty-whatever

Hope that helps.
--
Rob

---

From: Steve Preston <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 14:56:45 -0400

> set the stop bits to two.

By the way, having 7 data bits and 2 stop bits should be equivalent to
having 8 data bits without parity generation and 1 stop bit.  This is
because the data bits are sent least significant bit first, and a stop
bit is the same as a zero data bit.

You might therefore want to try
  stty cs8 -parenb -cstopb

One reason you may want to have it set up this way, is if your
terminal has a meta key, and you use emacs.  A true meta key simply
turns on the msb of a generated character.

-- 
Steve Preston ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill Roman)
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 08:00:51 +0100 (PDT)

>  ...

I don't think this is correct -- stop bits are ones.  

-- 
Bill Roman  ([email-masked] / [email-masked])   running linux