Subject: Re: ftp.debian.org problems

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Perens)
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 96 08:55 PDT

From: Martin Konold <[email-masked]>
> 1.) I do not hink it is a good idea to mount the /pub areas on a heavily 
> used ftp server via nfs. (especially performace wise)

This is currently done because of a hardware/driver problem. We'll get 
that resolved eventually.

> 2.) A lot of simple mirror scripts tend to delete the local copy of the 
> files when they succed in connecting to the ftp  server but find the 
> directory empty.

We suggest you use the same mirror script we use, and set it so that if
more than 10% of files go away at once it won't delete them.

We did have problems with debian.org - the system it was running on
was taken away, and we had to put a system we never intended to be
debian.org in its place. Our first priority now is to keep the mirror
systems updated.

	Thanks

	Bruce

---

From: Martin Konold <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 18:08:33 +0200

> more than 10% of files go away at once it won't delete them.

Which one do you use? Where to get it? 10% seems reasonable.

> debian.org in its place. Our first priority now is to keep the mirror

Good point!

Thanks for your tremendous work,
-- martin

// Martin Konold, Muenzgasse 7, 72070 Tuebingen, Germany  // 
// Email: [email-masked]            // 
//    http://www.schwaben.de/linux                        // 
Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistributing this work in any form, in
whole or in part.   License to distribute this post is available to Microsoft
for $299. Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to these terms.

---

From: Rob Browning <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Jun 1996 11:48:11 -0500

> Which one do you use? Where to get it? 10% seems reasonable.

Isn't it the one in the Debian mirror package?

--
Rob

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin Schulze)
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 22:28:37 +0200 (MET DST)

Hallo Martin!

}> We suggest you use the same mirror script we use, and set it so that if
}> more than 10% of files go away at once it won't delete them.
}
}Which one do you use? Where to get it? 10% seems reasonable.

It is the mirror program that is shipped with Debian, mirror 2.8 from
Lee McLaughlin in Camebridge.  As I told you, just ad a line similar
to the following into your configuration file.

max_delete_files=20%

Regards,

	Joey

-- 
  / Martin Schulze  *  [email-masked]  *  26129 Oldenburg /
 /                 Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only /
/          proved it correct, not tried it.  -- Donald E. Knuth /