Subject: ncr-810 support?

From: Dale Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 15:36:42 -0400 (EDT)

It would appear that the boot disks for debian 1.1 beta don't have
generic ncr-810 SCSI support - the .93 disks did.  Are there
alternative boot disks available with this support?  I perused the
installation document and saw no mention of it.

Thanks,
	Dale

---

From: Sebastian Kuzminsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 12:36:39 -0600

Dale Martin <[email-masked]> wrote:
] It would appear that the boot disks for debian 1.1 beta don't have
] generic ncr-810 SCSI support - the .93 disks did.  Are there
] alternative boot disks available with this support?  I perused the
] installation document and saw no mention of it.

   I ran in to this same problem.  I made a custom boot disk with the 
NCR driver.  It's available at:
ftp://ftp.cs.colorado.edu/users/kuzminsk/boot-disk.gz

   It's not the latest and greatest version kernel, and it doesnt mimick
the Debian boot disk exactly, but it's worked well for me.

Sebastian Kuzminsky
[email-masked]

---

From: Peter Pregler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 96 08:46:31 +0200

>>>>> On Mon, 10 Jun 1996 15:36:42 -0400 (EDT), Dale Martin <[email-masked]> wrote:

DM> It would appear that the boot disks for debian 1.1 beta don't have
DM> generic ncr-810 SCSI support - the .93 disks did.  Are there
DM> alternative boot disks available with this support?  I perused the
DM> installation document and saw no mention of it.

This is an official bug with the number xyz (sorry forgot). I am not
aware of any boot disks. I had quite some troubles because of this
because I had to install 0.93 and then upgrade to 1.1. I do have a
1.3.100 kernel and it shouldn't be that hard to make a debian boot for
you. But I think the support should be in the official
release. Actually, an NCR-810 isn't a very special kind of hardware.

-Peter.

-------------------------------
How like us those animals were, walking patiently they knew not where.
-------------------------------
Email: [email-masked]
WWW:   http://www.risc.uni-linz.ac.at/people/ppregler