Subject: I can't configure my Ethernet card

From: "Pedro I. Sanchez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 15:01:20 -0400

Hello,

I've been unable to configure my Ethernet card under Debian 1.1.
The documentation that comes with the card says "Software Driver
compatible to existing NE-2100/AM-1500T". My first guess was to
use the ne driver but it doesn't work.

The ethercard uses the AMD 79C961 chip. From the Ethernet-HOWTO:

  "AMD 79C961 (PCnet-ISA+)
   Status -- Supported
   This is the PCnet-ISA+  -- an enhanced version of the 79C960.  It has
   support for jumper-less configuration and Plug and Play.  See the info
   in the above section."

This fits my ethercard. The "above section" mentions the LANCE driver
as the one to use with this card. However, even though the driver
"lance.c" is listed in the net-modules.txt file, I can't find the lance.o
file in my system. If I give the command "insmod lance" I get

	Cannot open /lib/modules/misc/lance.o

Actually, there's no such directory "misc" under lib/modules. Why is then
ismod looking for that? Anyway, I have a directory /lib/modules/current/net
with several net drivers on it except "lance".

My questions are then:

1. How do I get this lance module to work? (where is lance.o?)
2. How do I configure this driver? (My ethercard is set to use irq=5,
   dma=3, address=0x2E0).

Thanks for any help on this matter.
___________________________________________________________________________
Pedro I. Sanchez	|Phone:(514) 683-6363 x31 |2250 Pl. Transcanadienne
Internetworking Systems	|Fax:  (514) 683-7997     |Dorval, QC., Canada
CTI Datacom Inc.	|			  |H9P 2X5
---------------------------------------------------------------------------