Subject: More groff weirdness

From: Branden Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 13:46:36 -0500 (EST)

A couple of people have given me pointers to some docs for troff/groff, so
let me say thanks to them.

Additionally, check this out:

::::::::::::::
groff.postinst
::::::::::::::
#! /bin/sh
rm -f /usr/bin/geqn /usr/bin/gtbl /usr/bin/gpic
ln -s eqn /usr/bin/geqn
ln -s tbl /usr/bin/gtbl
ln -s pic /usr/bin/gpic
#
# Fix bug #623
# Previous versions may have set the permissions of /usr/doc/groff 
# wrongly. Set permissions here to be sure.
#
chmod 755 /usr/doc/groff
exit 0

Now poke yer nose into groff.list and just see if you can find a directory
called /usr/doc/groff.  Nope, hain't there.

Again, I'm using 0.93R6.  If this has been fixed since, I'd love to hear
about it.  I'm poor and would have to suck the new distribution through a
14.4 line, so please cry for me.  :)

-- 
 "I am sorry, but what you have mistaken for          | G. Branden Robinson
  malicious intent is nothing more than sheer         | Purdue University
  incompetence!"    -- J. L. Rizzo II                 | [email-masked]

---

From: Rob Browning <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jun 1996 18:43:24 -0500

> 14.4 line, so please cry for me.  :)

I have all the docs, but I'm using the new Debian 1.1 package.  Time
for the kleenex...

--
Rob

---

From: Martin Alonso Soto Jacome <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 10:59:00 -0500 (EST)

> I have all the docs, but I'm using the new Debian 1.1 package.  Time

Well, I'm using an unmodified 0.93R6, and have a nice /usr/doc/groff
directory with several documents:

total 106
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root         1182 Jul  2  1995 BUG-REPORT.gz
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root        54908 Jul  2  1995 ChangeLog.gz
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          803 Jul  2  1995 Makefile.gz
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root         8714 Jul  2  1995 NEWS.gz
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root         7039 Jul  2  1995 PROBLEMS.gz
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          318 Jul  2  1995 PROJECTS.gz
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           18 Feb 28 21:49 README.DEBIAN -> ../copyright/groff
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          883 Jul  2  1995 README.gz
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          380 Jul  2  1995 TODO.gz
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root        14160 Jul  2  1995 meintro.me.gz
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root        12902 Jul  2  1995 meref.me.gz

The installed groff package status is:

Package: groff
Status: install ok installed
Priority: important
Section: text
Maintainer: Alvar Bray <[email-masked]>
Version: 1.09
Revision: 4

I'm not sure, but it is possible that the particular package file you
installed is corrupted.  When I first installed my Debian system, I
used the Yggdrasil Internet Archives distrib, which, by the way, was
corrupted.  In particular, the groff package was broken, and, despite
it installed aparently well, it didn't work correctly (unfortunately,
I never checked to see if the documentation had been installed).

I fixed the problem by simply downloading a fresh package file from
the archive, and installing it using the --force-install option to
dpkg, so that it replaced the broken package completely.  Things are
now ok.

Regards,

M. S.
------------
Martin A. Soto J.                           Profesor
Departamento de Ingenieria de Sistemas y Computacion
Universidad de los Andes      [email-masked]