Subject: RE: Local area talk protocal (LAT)?

From: Dick Sudbury <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 17:10:16 -0700

Hi there,
  It's my understanding that this LAT is sort of like a Chat setup. If you want to connect to an NT network, I would suggest using the Simba package. There is 
a real good article on it in this months Linux Journal. I'm no Expert on this, but it sounds like the way to go to me.

Yours,
Dick Sudbury
[email-masked]

----------
Craig Harmon Craig Harmon[SMTP:[email-masked]] writes:
<Stuff deleted>

On the Windows NT network, I am trying to connect to another machine.  
Using the Windows Fro Workgroups there is a terminal emulation/connection 
software called SmarTerm that uses a LAT protocal to connect to the other 
machine through the Windows NT net.  I know the address of the other 
machine and it seems to absorb all my pings and telnet doesn't work 
either.  I can't find anything in the network software that says anything 
about this sort of protocal.  Does anyone know any linux software that 
will allow me to connect in this way?

Thanking you in advance,

Craig

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Perens)
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 96 17:51 PDT

> I would suggest using the Simba package.

That's "samba". There's also "smbfs". Samba provides file and printer
services, and a printer client to systems that run the Lan Manager protocol
over TCP/IP, which is what NT and Windows 95 use for their native network.
"smbfs" makes the Linux system a client of a Lan Manager file server.

My wife runs Window 95 on her system, and my system serves files to it via
Samba and sends print jobs to the printer on her system. This works extremely
well, and has done so for more than a year.

	Thanks

	Bruce

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Perens)
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 96 12:58 PDT

> machine through the Windows NT net.

Sorry if my previous answer was off-topic. I think I was answering an
answer, not the question.

Use telnet. Hardly anyone uses or supports LAT any longer. It was
designed as a lightweight protocol for DEC terminal servers before they
were powerful enough to execute the telnet or rlogin protocols.

	Thanks

	Bruce