Subject: 1.1 install bootdisk problems

From: Chris Wage <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 00:36:41 -35900

Hi. I recently attempted to install debian 1.1 on my machine, and 
encountered some problems early on. After I hit enter at the boot: 
prompt, it gets about halfway through loading before it locks up.
The last few messages I see are:

Aiee, killing interrupt handler
Started kswapd v 1.4.2.2

Also, at the top of the screen, I can see:

Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 
c00004d7

My computer is a 486dx-66 with 8M of RAM. The drive I had planned to 
install debian on is 230M

If anyone has any idea what might be wrong, I'd appreciate the help..

Thanks, --Chris Wage
[email-masked]
http://www.telalink.net/~cwage

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Perens)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 96 23:28 PDT

There are some reported problems with the Linux 2.0 kernel. We'd need
a better description to figure out what's going wrong with your system.
Try removing non-essential hardware cards and see if it boots.

	Thanks

	Bruce