Subject: Re: Installing Debian (fresh) from Linux????

From: Dale Scheetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 08:23:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 18 Jun 1996, Hal Brand wrote:

> I'd like to install the latest Debian on a new SCSI disk (just partitioned).
> I already have Linux running from a second SCSI disk. I'd like to avoid
> the hassles of boot floppies, etc. as I already have a working Linux
> running. (Note: my Linux is kernel 2.0.0, a.out, manually upgraded from
> SLS Linux kernel 0.93. I'm tired of manual upgrades so I'd like to
> go to Debian and ELF in one shot). I haven't found any documentation
> on installing Debian without using boot floppies. Can anyone provide
> assistance (including pointers to documentation)?
> 
Try the base...tar.gz file (in the disks section). Untar it onto your
partition, set up a kernel and lilo (or whatever boot method you use) ,
edit passwd and modules, inittab and fstab to fit your conditions and you
should have a base system you can boot into and install the rest of the
packages.

Luck,

Dwarf

------------                                          --------------

aka   Dale Scheetz                   Phone:   1 (904) 877-0257
      Flexible Software              Fax:     NONE 
      Black Creek Critters           e-mail:  [email-masked]

------------ If you don't see what you want, just ask --------------

---

From: Rick Hawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 11:00:20 CDT

> assistance (including pointers to documentation)?

that tar solution a couple back sounds great.  that's what i'll try next
time.  the filename is "base1_1.tgz".  

what i've been doing as a partial solution is putting base1_1.tgz in the
file system, and booting from the first two disks.  These find tha
base1_1.tgz file if it is in the first two levels of the mounted
filesystem.

rick

---

From: [email-masked] (Hal Brand)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 21:57:38 -0700

Hal R. Brand
					[email-masked]