Subject: ftp.debian.org

From: Branden Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 12:49:05 -0500 (EST)

Has anyone noticed that today ftp.debian.org is being particularly vicious
about booting people from the server?

I go to /pub/debian/buzz/bianry-i386/base and do a mget * and I don't get
any further than diff before the connection is dropped.

Pretty rude.  And it said I was user 50 out of 100 when I logged in

-- 
 "To stay young requires unceasing cultivation of the | G. Branden Robinson
  ability to unlearn old falsehoods."                 | Purdue University
                    -- Robert Heinlein                | [email-masked]

---

From: Bill Bumgarner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 96 14:19:20 -0500

It appears that the site hosting the AfterStep pages is down-- AfterStep  
being the NeXTSTEP like window manager taken one step beyond bowman.

Anyway;  anyone have a mirror of the site available?  Or the source to the  
latest version?  Or a binary?

Also;  is it relatively easy to create debian packages?  If so, I'd  
consider putting together a 'install this and you'll have a usable,  
relatively powerful, bowman/afterstep based X environment' package.

thanks,
b.bum

---

From: "Neil A. Rubin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 18:23:27 -0400

> being the NeXTSTEP like window manager taken one step beyond bowman.

Check out:

	http://mango.sfasu.edu/~frank/afterstep/

> latest version?  Or a binary?

At the moment, everything you need can be ftped from:

	ftp://oak.sfasu.edu/pub/AfterStep
 
> relatively powerful, bowman/afterstep based X environment' package.

Interesting that you should mention that...  I have basically finished an
AfterStep package myself and will try to get it uploaded tonight.  At the
moment, it just comes with the author's default system.steprc, which may or
may not be the best starting setup for the typical Debian user.

I would certainly be interested in help designing a good configuration
system and just generally working on the package.  If you are interested,
Bill, please send me some e-mail.

In answer to the question of how hard it is to create Debian packages, it's
really not that hard.  You just need to know a little bit about make and maybe
shell/perl scripting, and there are plenty of examples to look at and learn
from.  It just took me most of a Saturday afternoon to go from ftping the
packaging guidelines and the "hello" package to having my first installable
package.

I hope that this helps.

-- 
Neil A. Rubin <[email-masked]> - Physics/Mathematics - CWRU '98, IMSA '94
WWW Homepage:  http://b62724.student.cwru.edu/~nrubin/
PGP Public Key available from above page and from good Key Servers.