Subject: mounting other file systems (novell & afs)

From: Rick Hawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 12:06:15 CDT

I strongly suspect that there are how-to's for this, but i have no idea
what the names are . . . so even a pointer would help.

There are two types of foreing file systems we have interest in
mounting.  The first are thte novell type used by our departmental
servers.  I recall such options in the kernel, but then what? I would
need to automate the logon to the servers.

The second is the AFS file system for the campuswide workstations.  I
would like to both get acces to things such as man pages, and to the
individual student direcotories, allowing editing on linux, and
compile/execute on an alpha.

where do i look?

thanks

rick

---

From: David C Winters <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 14:57:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 18 Jun 1996, Rick Hawkins wrote:

[Wants to be able to mount Novell and AFS filesystems on Linux.]

> The second is the AFS file system for the campuswide workstations.  I

	Linux-AFS is apparently somewhat arcane at the moment.  There's
a (very) limited amount of information on AFS on Transarc's AFS homepage 

http://www.transarc.com/afs/transarc.com/public/www/Product/AFS/FAQ/faq.html

basically, Transarc acknowledges the existence of the AFS port to Linux, 
but they don't distribute or support it.  About the extent of their page 
is to mention the mailing list ([email-masked]).  Send mail to 
[email-masked] to sign on; I joined it a couple of days ago 
myself.  Only a couple of messages have come across it since, one saying 
that a port to the 2.0.0 kernel will be worked on soon.  (And it could be 
a really big help to me when it arrives.)  I can't provide more than just 
this pointer, because I'm a total newbie to the Linux-AFS thing.

David [email-masked]
http://www.pitt.edu/~winters/
http://www.pitt.edu/~dcwst8/

---

From: Max Hyre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 96 15:58:50 EDT

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

   Dear Mr. Hawkins:

   Re your need for Novell connectivity, I'm acquainted with two
packages of interest (neither Debianized yet):

   ncpfs (Netware Core Protocol Filesystem) makes your Linux box a
Novell client.  I got version 0.21 running with minimial hassle last
week, on my 0.93R6 box; I think the code's up to 0.24 now---it's a
fast-moving target.  I can read and write disks, which is everything
desired; I'm a happy camper.  An old LSM entry is:

	Title:          ncpfs
	Version:        0.17
	Entered-date:   29. February 1996
	Description:    With ncpfs you can mount volumes of your netware
			server under Linux. You can also print to netware
			print queues and spool netware print queues to the
			Linux printing system. You need kernel 1.2.x or
			1.3.54 and above. ncpfs does NOT work with any 1.3.x
			kernel below 1.3.54.
	Keywords:       filesystem ncp novell netware printing
	Author:         [email-masked] (Volker Lendecke)
	Maintained-by:  [email-masked] (Volker Lendecke)
	Primary-site:   linux01.gwdg.de:/pub/ncpfs
	Alternate-site: sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/system/Filesystems/
			   ~81k ncpfs-0.17.tgz
			   ~ 1k ncpfs-0.17.lsm
	Copying-policy: GPL

   mars-nwe (???-NetWare Emulator) lets your Linux box be a server to
NetWare clients.  I have no further info on it since that's not
anything I need.

   You can join the Linware mailing list for more info on either:

            To join, send mail to "[email-masked]" with the following
            command in the body of your email message:

                add <your email address> linware

   Hope this helps.

			    Sincerely yours,

					Max Hyre

---

From: Gerry Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 14:13:10 -0600 (MDT)

> desired; I'm a happy camper.  An old LSM entry is:

Ncpfs *is* available as a Debian package.

Gerry

---

From: Max Hyre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 96 16:35:26 EDT

> Ncpfs *is* available as a Debian package.

   You mean I compiled and monkeyed with it for nothing :-)?  Oh,
well....

			    Max Hyre