Subject: Socket destroy delayed (r=0 w=1340)

From: Gerd Bavendiek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 1996 07:02:54 +0200

Hi, 

on a quite recently installed Debian-1.1 box I sometimes encounter the
following.

koko:/root>>> ping us1by-6
PING us1by-6 (156.53.107.26): 56 data bytes

--- us1by-6 ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

Socket destroy delayed (r=0 w=1340)
||||||||||||||||||||||

I never saw this before ! Anything to worry about ? 
My netbase is version 2.02-1.

Gerd

---

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 96 11:35 BST

>Socket destroy delayed (r=0 w=1340)

This is a kernel problem, well known about by the kernel
developers. The very latest kernels seem not to have this problem, so
they may have fixed it.

What kernel version are you running? (uname -a will tell you)

I used to have this problem, but it went away when I switched to
kernel version 1.99.5.

Try installing the kernel-image-1.99.7-0.deb package (when it is moved
out of the Incoming directory).

Austin

---

From: "Peter Tobias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 17:17:17 +0200 (MET DST)

> Socket destroy delayed (r=0 w=1340)

It's a kernel problem. If you just get a few of these messages it's
ok. If you get a lot of them you should update your kernel.

Thanks,

Peter

-- 
 Peter Tobias                                EMail:
 Fachhochschule Ostfriesland                 [email-masked]
 Fachbereich Elektrotechnik und Informatik   [email-masked]
 Constantiaplatz 4, 26723 Emden, Germany     [email-masked]

---

From: Rob Browning <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Jun 1996 03:36:06 -0500

> Socket destroy delayed (r=0 w=1340)

We had this on the machines in the lab for a short while.  I believe
it went away when we changed to a newer kernel version.  (I can't
remember for sure though, it could have been some newer debian
package.)

--
Rob

---

From: Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Jun 1996 05:06:07 -0400

Hi,

	I have seen this with the latest net packages in most version
since 1.3.95, I think.  Still happens at 1.99.8, but less so than some
earlier kernels. I have yet to boot 1.99.10.

	Hasn't caused my any problems, but YMMV.

		manoj
--
"Bond reflected that good Americans were fine people and that most of
them seemed to come from Texas."  - Ian Fleming, "Casino Royale" %%

Manoj Srivastava               Systems Research Programmer, Project Pilgrim,
Phone: (413) 545-3918                A143B Lederle Graduate Research Center,
Fax:   (413) 545-1249         University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003
<[email-masked]> <URL:http://www.pilgrim.umass.edu/%7Esrivasta/>