Subject: logging in takes ages

From: [email-masked] (Erick Branderhorst)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 11:42:33 +0100

Hi all,

Some dos oriented machines can acces my Debian box via a wd network
card connected via coax. For some time this went pretty well, the login
prompt showed up in 1 or 2 seconds. This isn't the case anymore, it takes
approx 15 to 30 seconds before the login prompt shows up. any body having
a clue why this is taking so long?

Erick

---

From: Paul Wade <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 08:26:11 -0400

> a clue why this is taking so long?

Here's a clue:

I built a 2.0.0 kernel that used dynamically loadable modules whereever
possible. I get delays during system startup and sometimes when I use
other network-related processes. It's not killing me, but I will be
getting around to building kernels that are "tuned" for the typical role
of each machine. I haven't analyzed it, but suspect that some longer
delays are caused because more than a single kernel module needs to be
loaded. This is just an opinion based on disk sound. 

Paul Wade - Greenbush Systems

********************************************
* http://www.wtop.com/ - THE OTHER WEBSITE *
********************************************