Subject: minimal nfs

From: Mark Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 00:27:59 +1000

Hi,

What is the minimal set of packages needed to get nfs working (other
than the base packages)?

I have the debian packages on one computer and I want to install
debian 1.1 on another computer connected to the first via ethernet.
What packages do I need to install before the new debian system can
access the filesystem of the system with the debian packages on it?

Thanks,

Mark Phillips.  ([email-masked])

---

From: Michael Meskes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 08:43:47 +0200 (MET DST)

> What is the minimal set of packages needed to get nfs working (other

netbase and netstd. netstd needs cpp/gcc to install.

Michael

-- 
Michael Meskes                   |    _____ ________ __  ____
[email-masked] |   / ___// ____/ // / / __ \___  __________
[email-masked]                  |   \__ \/ /_  / // /_/ /_/ / _ \/ ___/ ___/
[email-masked]                |  ___/ / __/ /__  __/\__, /  __/ /  (__  )
Use Debian Linux!		 | /____/_/      /_/  /____/\___/_/  /____/

---

From: Rick Hawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 11:47:15 CDT

> access the filesystem of the system with the debian packages on it?

netstd will definitely do it, but that might be more than you need.  

Just as a hunch:  using alt-f2 gives you a (restricted) shell.  boot the
first two disks, copy over the nfs module, activate it with insmod, and
then try mounting the file system.

if that doesn't work, go through the base install, and try mounting nfs.

failing that, netstd will definitely do it.  I don't know if you need to
uncomment the start-stops in /etc/init.d/netstd_nfs or not . . .

(Now why didn't i think of that first method yesterday when i was doing
a clean install on the 2d machine???)

rick