Subject: debian v1.1 probs

From: "Jeffery S. Coy Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 14:05:35 -0700 (MST)

i hope this is the right place, if not please tell me where i should be
posting.

i've recently decided to switch to debian linux, i don't need to, my
current system is up to date and works well, but everything i've seen &
heard about debian has been really good, so i want to switch over.

i have had a few problems tho, and wanted to share them (with
suggestions).

the first problem was with the sound module.  for people with a true sb16,
the sound module makes a lot of noise (hissing).  when talking with hannu
about this in the past, he suggested using ``setmixer igain 0 ogain 0'',
which works great.

perhaps right after loading the sound module the install script it could
ask "do you hear a loud hiss from the speakers?"  and if the user answers
yes you could run /usr/bin/setmixer igain 0 ogain 0, then add

	post-install sound /usr/bin/setmixer igain 0 ogain 0

to the /etc/modules.conf file.  i wouldn't complain, but it _really_
is bad, and the setmixer binary is only about 4k.  with the post-install
line in /etc/modules.conf the user will never have to hear it again, as it
would be turned down whenever the module is loaded.

also, i couldn't find pine/pico anywhere on the debian tree.  i was
wondering if i was looking in the wrong place?  this is the mail program
linus uses, it's quite user friendly, and the only real problems i've run
into with pine were in dealing with the file-locking mechanism used by
slocal, which is something i don't think a lot of people probably use.
comments?

lastly, i live in arizona, USA.  AFAIK, we are the only state that finds
the idea of having to reset our clocks twice a year rediculous (we don't
go on daylight savings time).  but the debian installation tree doesn't
have a timezone for us.  there's Pacific and Mountain, but no Arizona.  so
twice a year, everyone from Arizona will be an hour off when the system
setup automagically resets our clocks for daylight savings time.

basically, we are just mountain time but we don't use daylight savings
time.

other than the above, i was quite impressed with the install, it looks
sharp, was really simple, and i think i'll be quite happy with it.

keep up the good work!

jeff
---
Why Linux?  source code. POSIX. tcpip. job control. support from the authors.
drivers for most hardware.  because one terminal or process is never enough.
    forget the other O/Ss, i use Linux- the choice of a gnu generation.

---

From: Dale Scheetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 17:26:44 -0400 (EDT)

> also, i couldn't find pine/pico anywhere on the debian tree.  i was

Because of a new, restrictive copyright, the pine package now lives in the
non-free section :-(

Luck,

Dwarf

------------                                          --------------

aka   Dale Scheetz                   Phone:   1 (904) 877-0257
      Flexible Software              Fax:     NONE 
      Black Creek Critters           e-mail:  [email-masked]

------------ If you don't see what you want, just ask --------------

---

From: Rick Hawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 17:41:32 CDT

> Because of a new, restrictive copyright, the pine package now lives in the

what about including the older, free, version as a package?

rick

---

From: "Jeffery S. Coy Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 15:56:25 -0700 (MST)

> what about including the older, free, version as a package?

no, please don't afflict people with pine v3.91.  3.93 is _so_ much nicer
there is just no comparison.  a pine.README would be nice as a pointer
(sort of like you are doing for kermit)  :^)

jeff
---

---

From: Dale Scheetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 20:00:35 -0400 (EDT)

> what about including the older, free, version as a package?
As I understand it, there can not be two versions of the same package in
the same archive.
Also, the non-free section IS part of the archive. You are perfectly free
to use any of the packages there.
WRT Pine, you may freely use it, and can even put it on CD, if you get
permission from Pine, which they say they will give. It is the permission
requirement that restricts distribution freedom, thus putting the product
into non-free.
You are completely free to use the Pine package in non-free (or any other
packages found there). It is only the distribution of these package that
is not free. Check the copyright in all cases if you want to put them on a
cd or something.

Enjoy,

Dwarf

------------ If you don't see what you want, just ask --------------

---

From: Martin Konold <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 13:21:26 +0200

> As I understand it, there can not be two versions of the same package in

Ok, how about the same solution Debian uses for gnu gs versa Alladin gs?

Yours,
martin