Subject: rcp/permission/nfs problems

From: Rick Hawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 19:10:07 CDT

i'm having rcp problems with nfs.  unfortuneately, i have now idea what
rcp is.

ONe of the machines gets a response of 

# /etc/init.d/netstd_nfs start
Starting remote filesystem services: nfsd mountd ugidd pcnfsd bwnfsd
rpc: RPC: U
nable to receive; errno = Connection refused

while starting ( i tried manually doing it).  however, it happily mounts
the other--manually, not automatically.  i have the following fstab: 

 <file system>     <mount point>   <type>  <options>   <dump>  <pass>
/dev/hda2               /               ext2    defaults    0       1
/dev/hda1               none            swap    sw          0       0
proc                  /proc             proc    defaults    0       0
/dev/hdb1             /usr              ext2    defaults    0       2
pc3138.econ:/      /pc3138.econ         nfs     defaults    0       3

but i have to manually mount.

i can't mount the other direction, though:

# mount -t nfs pc3140.econ:/ /pc3140.econ/
rpc mount: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused

both are mountable by ALL: .iastate.edu in hosts.allow.

help ! :)

rick

more particularly, what does this rpc stuff mean:

---

From: Michael Meskes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 11:14:52 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi Rick,

> nable to receive; errno = Connection refused

Is your rpc.portmap running? It should be started from /etc/init.d/netbase.

> the other--manually, not automatically.  i have the following fstab: 

These daemons are needed for exporting a FS.

> i can't mount the other direction, though:

That's it.

Michael

-- 
Michael Meskes                   |    _____ ________ __  ____
[email-masked] |   / ___// ____/ // / / __ \___  __________
[email-masked]                  |   \__ \/ /_  / // /_/ /_/ / _ \/ ___/ ___/
[email-masked]                |  ___/ / __/ /__  __/\__, /  __/ /  (__  )
Use Debian Linux!		 | /____/_/      /_/  /____/\___/_/  /____/