Subject: need help with kernel packages :-(

From: "Arup Mukherjee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 12:58:53 -0400

Hi, 

	I seem to be having a lot of trouble installing or removing
the kernel image/header/source packages. dpkg fails, and then the
packages get marked as needing reinstallation before they can be
configured or removed. This happened with both the 1.99.7 and the
2.0.0 packages :-( 

	I tried to forcibly remove the 1.99.7 package(s) using
-force-remove-reinstreq, and most of the files were removed, but
dselect still considers the packages to be brokenly installed. How can
I get them to go away? 

Here's what happens when I try to install 2.0.0 

# dpkg --install kernel-source-2.0.0-0.deb 
Selecting previously deselected package kernel-source-2.0.0.
(Reading database ... 27285 files and directories currently
installed.)
Unpacking kernel-source-2.0.0 (from kernel-source-2.0.0-0.deb) ...
Setting up kernel-source-2.0.0 ...
dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute post-installation script: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing kernel-source-2.0.0 (--install):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
 kernel-source-2.0.0

(Same error message when I'm dealing with the image or the headers.) 

This is on a Debian 1.1 system initially installed a few days before
the official release, and then upgraded after the release
happened. All of the other packages I installed have behaved just
fine. 

I'd really appreciate any thoughts on how to fix this. 

Thanks, 

-Arup

---

From: "todd \(t.\) harper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 14:03:00 -0400

> (Same error message when I'm dealing with the image or the headers.) 

I believe this is the same problem I had.  I got around it by creating
a symlink to /usr/bin/perl in /bin.

# ln -s /usr/bin/perl /bin/perl

Good luck,

Snoopy

--
Todd Harper         "Actually, God goofed off for six days, then pulled
[email-masked]      an all-nighter"   -- unknown