Subject: Netscape Mail & /var/spool/mail permissions

From: Derek Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:08:18 -0400

Hi,

I am wondering how I should set the permissions for /var/spool/mail
if I want to use Netscape Mail. The debian base system has it set to
drwxrwsr-t (user=root group=mail). However, this does not work with
Netscape Mail. Netscape suggests setting it to mode 01777 ie drwxrwxrwt. 

What is the suitable arrangement which satisfies debian concerns of
security?

--Derek Lee

---

From: "Brian C. White" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 1996 13:48:12 -0400

> What is the suitable arrangement which satisfies debian concerns of

First, use the "Netscape" debian package.

Second, do _not_ change the permissions of /var/spool/mail.  The permissions
that Netscape suggests introduce a small security hole where one user could
potentially gain complete access to another's mail.  (It's small, but true.)
The permissions in the Debian system are correct.

Third, under "Mail & News Preferences", select the "external movemail
program" and set it to "/usr/lib/netscape/movemail".

                                        Brian
                               ( [email-masked] )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In theory, theory and practice are the same.  In practice, they're not.