Subject: pine 3.94's Copyright

From: "Richard G. Roberto" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 10:20:28 -0400 (EDT)

Why is this in non-free?  It sounds like they _want_ to be
included in linux distributions!  What about this copyright
is keeping it out of the Debian distribution?  I obviously
need to familiarize myself with Debian's rules and regs, but
it seems strange that this copyright is keeping pine in
non-free.

-------- included copyright from PINE3.94 -------------------

Pine and Pico are registered trademarks of the University of Washington.
No commercial use of these trademarks may be made without prior written
permission of the University of Washington.
 
Pine, Pico, and Pilot software and its included text are Copyright
1989-1996 by the University of Washington. 
 
Use of Pine/Pico/Pilot:  You may compile and execute these programs for
any purpose, including commercial, without paying anything to the
University of Washington, provided that the legal notices are maintained
intact and honored.

Local modification of this release is permitted as follows, or by mutual
agreement: In order to reduce confusion and facilitate debugging, we
request that locally modified versions be denoted by appending the letter
\"L\" to the current version number, and that the local changes be
enumerated in the integral release notes and associated documentation.

Redistribution of this release is permitted as follows, or by mutual
agreement:
 (a) In free-of-charge or at-cost distributions by non-profit concerns;
 (b) In free-of-charge distributions by for-profit concerns;
 (c) Inclusion in a CD-ROM collection of free-of-charge, shareware, or
     non-proprietary software for which a fee may be charged for the 
     packaged distribution.

UW encourages unrestricted distribution of individual patches to the Pine
system.  By \"patches\" we mean \"difference\" files that can be applied
to the UW Pine source distribution in order to accomplish bug fixes, minor
enhancements, or adaptation to new operating systems.  Submission of these
patches to UW for possible inclusion in future Pine versions is also 
encouraged.
 
The above permissions are hereby granted, provided that the Pine and Pico
copyright and trademark notices appear in all copies and that both the
above copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting
documentation, and that the name of the University of Washington not be
used in advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of the
software without specific, prior written permission.  This software is
made available \"as is\", and
 
THE UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED,
WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ALL IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND IN
NO EVENT SHALL THE UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL,
INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM
LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT
(INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE) OR STRICT LIABILITY, ARISING OUT OF OR IN
CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE. 

---------- end copyright from PINE3.94 ---------------------

Richard G. Roberto
[email-masked]
201-739-2886, whippany, nj

--
*******************************************************************************
Bear Stearns is not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, offer or
agreement or any information about any transaction, customer account or account
activity contained in this communication.
*******************************************************************************

---

From: Dale Scheetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 12:40:00 -0400 (EDT)

> -------- included copyright from PINE3.94 -------------------
The primary reason, is that the version in non-free is 3.93.

The major difference that I can see between the 3.93 copyright and

> enumerated in the integral release notes and associated documentation.

The paragraph in the 3.93 version reads:

We request that any local modifications be denoted by appending the letter
\"L\" to the current version number, and that the changes be enumerated in
the integral release notes and associated documentation. Re-distribution
by for-profit organizations requires permission from the University of
Washington. 

It is the last line of this paragraph that lands this package in non-free.

If there is nothing else troublesome about the new copyright (Bruce?) you
may look for 3.94 as soon as I can get some time to build it.
 
Luck,

Dwarf

------------                                          --------------

aka   Dale Scheetz                   Phone:   1 (904) 877-0257
      Flexible Software              Fax:     NONE 
      Black Creek Critters           e-mail:  [email-masked]

------------ If you don't see what you want, just ask --------------

---

From: Guy Maor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 18:19:50 -0500 (CDT)

>      non-proprietary software for which a fee may be charged for the 

It can't be bundled with proprietary software.  That's a not uncommon
restriction of packages in non-free.

Guy