Subject: Packages need libc.so.4

From: "Larry Loos" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 16:01:53 -0600

I'm doing my first install of Debian Linux using the 1.1-Beta. I have 
the initial system installed and now I'm trying to install the 
packages that I want.  When I tried I got many errors that say it 
needs libc.so.4. Where is it?

I'm obviously a newbie to Debian and appreciate any help some kind
soul will give me.

Larry Loos                   E-Mail: [email-masked]
Show-Me Net, Inc.            http://www.showme.net/
  573/334-9322  or  573/431-1245 (Work)

---

From: Dale Scheetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 10:18:09 -0400 (EDT)

> needs libc.so.4. Where is it?
This is in the libc4 package in section devel.

Luck,

Dwarf

------------                                          --------------

aka   Dale Scheetz                   Phone:   1 (904) 877-0257
      Flexible Software              Fax:     NONE 
      Black Creek Critters           e-mail:  [email-masked]

------------ If you don't see what you want, just ask --------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim 'The Unslept' Sailer)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 10:02:15 -0400 (EDT)

> I'm obviously a newbie to Debian and appreciate any help some kind

Dselect can search for it... just do '/libc' and you'll find it.

Tim

-- 
		       [email-masked]
                 "Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try."
  -- Yoda
** Disclaimer: My views/comments/beliefs, as strange as they are, are my own.**

---

From: Christian Hudon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 12:54:54 -0400 (EDT)

> needs libc.so.4. Where is it?

Hmm... Many packages need libc4? Are you sure you've got 1.1-beta, (i.e. 
from the unstable tree)? Because very few packages in there still depend
on libc4.

Anyhow, the package that contains libc.so.4 is "libc4" and it is in the
devel section.

   Christian

---

From: Rob Browning <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Jun 1996 13:12:14 -0500

> needs libc.so.4. Where is it?

Where did you get the packages you're installing?  Most of the new
packages depend on libc5, the ELF libc.  It should have been installed
when you upgraded to Debian 1.1.  If you have old packages which
depend on libc4, and you still need to use for some reason, you can
get the libc4 (not libc4-dev) package from the development tree.  It
provides libc4 binary compatibility.

--
Rob