Subject: Re[2]: DEBIAN Linux on floppy disks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 96 10:53:53 EST

use a cable to transfer the files to the laptop from the machine with 
     the cdrom. Dont forget to use a proper cable setup...
     
     It'll save your ass a ton-o-time. and you wont have to be splitting 
     files across floppies.
     
     I use xtgold's "xtlink" which works great...
     
     BUT - if you dont have xtlink...
     
     MS-DOG provides the software called "interlnk", which does the same 
     thing - more or less.

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________
Subject: Re: DEBIAN Linux on floppy disks
Author:  [email-masked] at INTERNET-PUB
Date:    6/12/96 10:34 AM

>>>>> Fritz Ilg <[email-masked]> writes:
     
> I am a Linux novice and I have a Slackware Linux distribution installed
> on my Toshiba 105CS Satellite, which works fine. I am planning to install 
> DEBIAN Linux on to my Laptop. Unfortunately I have no CD-ROM drive avail- 
> able with this Laptop which make this attempt impossible.
> I have one CD-ROM with the DEBIAN Linux distribution on it. As I am able 
> to run this CD on a Windows-based PC-System WIN95 on a seperat computer I 
> thought it might be possible to make floppys, like I did with the 
> Slackware distribution. I soon realized that a lot of files are too large 
> to fit onto the disk.
     
> Is there anybody out there ...who can give me some advises how I can 
> solve this problem.

---

From: Kevin M Bealer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 18:56:38 -0400 (EDT)

>      MS-DOG provides the software called "interlnk", which does the same 
(clip)

The linux kernel has PLIP (parallel line ip) which can do this once you get
a base system installed... look in /usr/src/linux/Documentation or in the
/usr/doc/HOWTO/PLIP-HOWTO (names may be garbled)... you need a laplink cable
and possibly a version 2 kernel on both ends.

This will provide an IP connection I believe ... you could then NFS mount or
FTP the stuff across.  If you NFS mount you can just install from those
directories... *warning* but I haven't tried any of these things.

[email-masked]
"The C Programming Language -- A language which combines the
flexibility of assembly language with the power of assembly language."