Subject: FAQ: Work-Needing and Prospective Packages

From: Sven Rudolph <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 22:00:42 +0200

Work-Needing and Prospective Packages for Debian Linux
  Sven Rudolph, [email-masked]
  $Id: packages.sgml,v 1.18 1996/06/11 19:54:00 sr1 Exp sr1 $
  ______________________________________________________________________

  Table of Contents:

  1.	General Questions

  1.1.	What is Debian Linux

  1.2.	Purpose of this document

  1.3.	What do I need to know in order to become a package maintainer
  ?

  1.4.	Feedback

  2.	Packages that have no current maintainer

  3.	Packages that the maintainer wants to give away

  4.	Packages that someone is working on

  5.	Programs that aren't available yet in Debian

  5.1.	Programming and development:

  5.2.	Mail software:

  5.3.	USENET news software:

  5.4.	Math packages:

  5.5.	Graphics:

  5.6.	Misc Tools:

  5.7.	Editors:

  5.8.	Games:

  5.9.	X11:

  5.10.	Communication

  5.11.	TeX

  5.12.	Networking

  5.13.	System Tools

  5.14.	Text utilities

  6.	Programs that someone should write

  7.	Beyond packages
  ______________________________________________________________________

  1.  General Questions

  1.1.	What is Debian Linux

  Please read the Debian Linux FAQ.  The Debian Linux WWW server is at
  http://www.debian.org/ , the FAQ is located at
  http://www.debian.org/FAQ/ . The FAQ is available via FTP at
  ftp.debian.org:/debian/doc .

  1.2.	Purpose of this document

  This document is intended to identify areas that need your
  contributions. It provides information that hopefully changes quite
  often, so it supplements the Debian Linux FAQ.

  1.3.	What do I need to know in order to become a package maintainer ?

  Please read the documents at ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/doc/package-
  developer/ .

  The packaging guidelines are included in the dpkg-1.1.0 package.

  You should subscribe to the debian-devel mailing list, details are
  given in the FAQ.

  1.4.	Feedback

  Please send additions, corrections, suggestions and wishes to Sven
  Rudolph [email-masked].  Please mention to which version of
  this document your comments refer.

  2.  Packages that have no current maintainer

  Packages listed in this section are still part of Debian (unless they
  have too many bugs), but the maintainer had reasons to not continue
  maintaining it. (Remember: Debian is mainly produced by volunteers who
  are not paid for maintaining Debian packages.)

  If you find that you need to discontinue maintaining a package, send
  me an e-mail.

  If you believe that the following list is incomplete, i.e., that there
  are other packages in the Debian distribution that currently have no
  active maintainer, send me an e-mail.

  If you would like to maintain one of the packages listed here, send me
  an e-mail.

  previously maintained by Ian Murdock [email-masked] :

  o  acm

  o  aout-librl (this package might be unnecessary now)

  o  elisp-manual

  o  glibcdoc

  o  metamail

  o  pmake

  previously maintained by Ian Jackson [email-masked] :

  o  trn

  3.  Packages that the maintainer wants to give away

  Packages listed in this section are still part of Debian, but the
  maintainer wants to find a new maintainer. It isn't as urgent to find
  a new maintainer as in the previous section.

  If you maintain Debian packages that you would like to hand off, send
  me an e-mail, then I will add this package to this section.

  If you would like to maintain one of the packages listed here, write
  to the current maintainer of this package.

  currently maintained by Sven Rudolph [email-masked] :

  o  seyon

  currently maintained by David Engel [email-masked] :

  o  tclX

  currently maintained by Christian Linhart [email-masked] :

  o  statserial

  o  tgif

  o  xarchie

  currently maintained by Ian Jackson [email-masked] :

  o  m4

  o  cron

  currently maintained by Jim Robinson [email-masked] :

  o  pari

  currently maintained by Michael Meskes [email-masked]
  Aachen.DE :

  o  xsysinfo

  o  xcolors

  o  xautolock

  4.  Packages that someone is working on

  Programs listed in this section aren't yet available as Debian
  packages, but someone is working on providing a package.

  If you would like to work on one of these packages please contact the
  responsible person listed below.

  Chris Fearnley [email-masked] :

  o  dome (http://www.netaxs.com/ cjf/jpegs.html)

  o  and probably : xli, Tix, povray

  [email-masked] (Karl R. Sackett) :

  o  CLX - Common Lisp Xlib implementation

  o  PCL - Portable Common Loops for GCL

  Dale Miller [email-masked] :

  o  lclint (ftp://larch.lcs.mit.edu/pub/Larch/lclint/ )

  Richard Kaszeta [email-masked] :

  o  xmotd

  Mike Wilson [email-masked] :

  o  mule

  Sven Rudolph [email-masked] :

  o  xbill

  o  NCSA Mosaic (waiting for 2.7)

  "behan (b.) webster" [email-masked]

  o  sxpc (Simple Xwindows Protocol Compresser)

  o  qfax (multi-user e-mail extension to efax).

  [email-masked]:

  o  tkHTML

  Darren [email-masked] :

  o  netpbm, mew, giftool

  "Prud'homme Christophe" [email-masked] :

  o  Xemacs

  [email-masked] :

  o  BBDB (for Emacs: Big Brother Data Base, a rolodex with hooks into
     VM, GNUS, and RMAIL)

  Michael Alan Dorman [email-masked] :

  o  glimpsehttpd

  Warwick Harvey [email-masked] :

  o  mercury (a purely declarative logic programming language with
     strong modes, strong types, and strong determinism)

  [email-masked] :

  o  PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules) (
     http://www.pilgrim.umass.edu/pub/osf_dce/RFC/rfc86.0.txt )

  [email-masked] :

  o  CLISP

  David H. Silber [email-masked] :

  o  dbackup - A Debian-specific backup program.

  o  lockstep - A program to keep various directory trees in sync.

  o  uucpconfig - A configuration program which will become part of my
     uucp package.

  o  latex2html

  Karl R. Sackett [email-masked] :

  o  wily - work-alike of Acme programming environment for Plan9

  o  9term - terminal emulator similar to 8-1/2 windows

  o  libXg - UTF-2 fonts for Sam and 9term

  o  exmh - X user interface for MH mail

  o  faces - visual list monitor

  Brian Sulcer [email-masked] :

  o  vile (vi-like editor)

  o  rogue

  o  umoria

  Martin Schulze [email-masked] :

  o  vtwm: Virtual Window Manager for X11

  Michael Shields [email-masked] :

  o  amanda, the University of Maryland's free network backup system.

  o  nntplink

  Bdale Garbee [email-masked] :

  o  spice (circuit simulation package)

  o  gforth

  Billy Chow [email-masked] :

  o  koules

  o  xbomb

  o  dos2unix unix2dos

  Alan Bain [email-masked] :

  o  gpc (GNU Pascal)

  Ed Petron [email-masked] :

  o  tkps (tk-based "top")

  Christophe Le Bars [email-masked] :

  o  Caml (A small, portable implementation of the ML language.)

  o  Objective Caml: Caml dialect extended with a complete class-based
     object system

  o  MMM: a WWW browser implemented in Caml

  Mike Coleman [email-masked] :

  o  nn (newsreader)

  o  jdk (Java development kit, no source available)

  Yves Arrouye [email-masked]> :

  o  gs-ppd (a set of PPD files for my Ghostscript drivers)

  o  adobe-ppd	Adobe-supplied PPD files (found on ftp.adobe.com)

  o  psptools (tools for PS printers making advantage of PPD files)

  o  compress-package (a package for packaging compress)

  o  btoa

  Erick Branderhorst [email-masked] :

  o  awk2c

  Emilio Lopes [email-masked] :

  o  ratfor77

  Jon Rabone [email-masked] :

  o  SISCAD

  5.  Programs that aren't available yet in Debian

  Programs listed in this section aren't yet available as Debian
  packages, but there has been an expressed desire to include them.

  If you want to create a Debian package, send me an e-mail.

  5.1.	Programming and development:

  o  GNU Pascal.

  o  UPS - the X-based debugger.  Probably not worth building until
     we've switched to ELF. (There are Linux-specific patches around.)

  o  checker

  o  Scheme->C

  o  SCM - Scheme interpreter which will soon be the basis of the GNU
     extension language.

  o  SLIB.

  o  CLISP - Common Lisp interpreter

  o  ECoLisp - a Common Lisp compiler that produces faster code but
     isn't as widely used as GCL

  o  CLiCC - Common Lisp compiler that generates stand-alone apps
     (rather large ones, though)

  o  GNAT (GNU Ada Translator)

  o  Postgres95

  5.2.	Mail software:

  o  mailtool

  5.3.	USENET news software:

  o  strn.

  5.4.	Math packages:

  o  SC (the spreadsheet). (oleo is already available)

  o  GNU calc (see the Emacs list ...).

  o  SNNS Stuttgart Neural Network Simulator (ftp.informatik.uni-
     stuttgart.de)

  o  SciLab

  o  Yorick

  o  MuPAD (computer algebra tool from University of Paderborn, Germany
     http://gauss-mb.uni-paderborn.de/ cube/ , please look at the
     license conditions.)

  o  calctool

  o  felt

  o  LAPACK and BLAS (numerical libraries,
     http://nils.wustl.edu/schiotz/lapack-linux.html )

  5.5.	Graphics:

  o  Kubota Graphics Corporation's now-PD 3-D visualization system,
     Dore'.

  5.6.	Misc Tools:

  o  zoo/unzoo (packer)

  o  binhex

  5.7.	Editors:

  o  NEdit ( http://fnpspa.fnal.gov/nirvana/nedit.html , requires Motif)

  o  jed (small emacs-like)

  5.8.	Games:

  o  rocks and diamonds

  o  xgalaga (space-invaders style game)

  o  xibc (backgammon)

  o  xevil

  o  xjewel

  5.9.	X11:

  o  Andrew

  o  ImageMagick (image viewer) (This package would belong into the non-
     free section if it provides the creation of GIF files.)

  o  XView (at least a library package--the full XView distribution,
     with window manager, etc. would also be nice, but not as important)

  o  plan (calender with many functions)

  o  grok (database with many functions)

  o  xmem

  o  xidle

  o  xmcd (ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib/applications/xmcd/xmcd-2.0.README)

  5.10.	Communication

  o  BBS (Bulletin Board System) Software

  o  hylafax (http://www.vix.com/hylafax) a fax server with add-ons for
     alphanumeric paging

  5.11.	TeX

  o  tmview (svgalib DVI viewer) Kpathsea support should be added and
     the original author is already aware of this. Contact him first.

  5.12.	Networking

  o  other www servers (Spinner ( http://spinner.infovav.se/ ), WN (
     http://hopf.math.nwu.edu/docs/overview.html) )

  o  xinetd (replacement for inetd with many enhancements)

  o  ftptool (This requires the not-yet-available XView libraries.)

  5.13.	System Tools

  o  IBCS2 emulator

  5.14.	Text utilities

  o  HTML editors (tkHTML, asWedit, auc-html.el)

  o  mpage (genscript is already available)

  o  texi2html

  6.  Programs that someone should write

  This section contains suggestions/wishes for programs. There is no
  known implementation of such a program for Linux.

  o  amspell (ms-dos) like spell checker, i.e. a spell checker what
     checks the complete text first, searching for alternatives (on the
     fly) and asking for user action at the very end of the checking
     process. This saves much time on low memory machines.

  7.  Beyond packages

  This section lists some areas of future development of Debian that
  cannot be assigned to specific packages.

  Please note that you may need to know a lot about the specific topic
  and the current Debian architecture, so this probably shouldn't be
  your first Debian related contribution.

  o  internationalization / localization

  o  documentation and translations

  o  Debian Linux for other platforms (m68k, alpha, sparc)

  o  shadow passwords ( ftp://ftp.ists.pwr.wroc.pl/pub/linux/shadow/ )

-- 
Sven Rudolph <[email-masked]> ; WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/

---

From: Sven Rudolph <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 22:00:42 +0200

Table of Contents:

  1.	General Questions

  1.4.	Feedback

  5.2.	Mail software:

  5.4.	Math packages:

  5.5.	Graphics:

  5.6.	Misc Tools:

  5.7.	Editors:

  5.8.	Games:

  5.9.	X11:

  5.10.	Communication

  5.11.	TeX

  5.12.	Networking

  5.13.	System Tools

  5.14.	Text utilities

  7.	Beyond packages

  1.  General Questions

  1.4.	Feedback

  o  acm

  o  elisp-manual

  o  glibcdoc

  o  metamail

  o  pmake

  o  trn

  o  seyon

  o  tclX

  o  statserial

  o  tgif

  o  xarchie

  o  m4

  o  cron

  o  pari

  o  xsysinfo

  o  xcolors

  o  xautolock

  o  xmotd

  o  mule

  o  xbill

  o  tkHTML

  Darren [email-masked] :

  o  netpbm, mew, giftool

  o  Xemacs

  o  glimpsehttpd

  [email-masked] :

  o  CLISP

  o  latex2html

  o  vile (vi-like editor)

  o  rogue

  o  umoria

  o  nntplink

  o  gforth

  o  koules

  o  xbomb

  o  dos2unix unix2dos

  o  gpc (GNU Pascal)

  o  tkps (tk-based "top")

  o  nn (newsreader)

  o  btoa

  o  awk2c

  o  ratfor77

  o  SISCAD

  o  GNU Pascal.

  o  checker

  o  Scheme->C

  o  SLIB.

  o  Postgres95

  5.2.	Mail software:

  o  mailtool

  o  strn.

  5.4.	Math packages:

  o  SciLab

  o  Yorick

  o  calctool

  o  felt

  5.5.	Graphics:

  5.6.	Misc Tools:

  o  zoo/unzoo (packer)

  o  binhex

  5.7.	Editors:

  o  jed (small emacs-like)

  5.8.	Games:

  o  rocks and diamonds

  o  xibc (backgammon)

  o  xevil

  o  xjewel

  5.9.	X11:

  o  Andrew

  o  xmem

  o  xidle

  5.10.	Communication

  5.11.	TeX

  5.12.	Networking

  5.13.	System Tools

  o  IBCS2 emulator

  5.14.	Text utilities

  o  texi2html

  7.  Beyond packages

---

From: Michael Meskes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 08:49:09 +0200 (MET DST)

Sven Rudolph writes:
>   [...]

Has been released a while ago.

>   o  nn (newsreader)

Just released the other day.

>   o  ratfor77

Hmm, this is already available. It's pretty old though and still aout.

>   o  GNAT (GNU Ada Translator)

I believe this was released the other day, too.

Michael

-- 
Michael Meskes                   |    _____ ________ __  ____
[email-masked] |   / ___// ____/ // / / __ \___  __________
[email-masked]                  |   \__ \/ /_  / // /_/ /_/ / _ \/ ___/ ___/
[email-masked]                |  ___/ / __/ /__  __/\__, /  __/ /  (__  )
Use Debian Linux!		 | /____/_/      /_/  /____/\___/_/  /____/

---

From: Mark Eichin <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jun 1996 14:22:23 -0400

: >   o  GNAT (GNU Ada Translator)
: I believe this was released the other day, too.

Cool, I didn't even notice that it was on the wanted list when I
uploaded it. (I better put together -2, since -1 is missing a few
files...)

---

From: Gerry Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 13:12:32 -0600 (MDT)

> Has been released a while ago.

Really?  Where is it?

Gerry
[email-masked]