Subject: Amd (or other problems)

From: Richard Kaszeta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 08:28:26 -0500

Ok, I've got an interesting problem with my debian 1.1 machine.

Pertinent packages
------------------
Customized kernel, 1.99.11
amd upl102-3 (using NIS maps)
netbase 2.03-1
netstd  2.04-1
nis 1.10-2

In general, the system works well.  However, at various, semi random
times, the system will partially hang and refuse to let anyone log in
locally or remotely (remote machines are given 'hostname already in
use' errors).  The only way to recover is the big red switch. I say
'semi-random' because I believe it is tied to the daily cron jobs,
although I have cleaned them up to not access the automount points
(/stage and /home).

Nothing really shows up in the logs, although nfs error messages
sometimes show up on one of the fileservers around the time of death.

I have noticed one pertinent bug, (from /usr/doc/amd/README), but I
have done my best to make sure the daily cron jobs stay out of /amd,
/stage, and /home

2868    amd hangs on tcsh hostname completion   unresolved

Any ideas or suggestions on debugging this?

-- 
Richard W Kaszeta 			Graduate Student/Sysadmin
[email-masked]			University of MN, ME Dept
http://www.me.umn.edu/0h/home/kaszeta/www.html
--
Sleep is a symptom of caffeine deprivation