Subject: critical :) nethack question

From: Rick Hawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 15:16:41 CDT

this may seem silly, but i haven't had a working nethack since law
school . . .

Is there a way to open the chests other than kicking them?  would this
stop the potions from shattering?

if i recompile, can i add monsters?  or is there already a graduate
students version out there with assorted undergraduates & professors as
monster?  (oh, no!  the deparment secretary! :)

rick

---

From: Syrus Nemat-Nasser <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 14:49:32 -0700 (PDT)

> stop the potions from shattering?

This is the wrong forum, but you can use a skeleton key or credit card.

There are many references for this game on the net such as the nethack
home page: http://www.win.tue.nl/games/roguelike/nethack/.  One thing
worth mentioning on debian-user however:  The debian nethack package has
a bug at present: when objects are thrown or certain wands zapped, etc.,
garbage is drawn on the screen.  The maintainer(s) are aware of this
already.

Syrus.

----------------------------------------------------------
Syrus Nemat-Nasser <[email-masked]>    UCSD Physics Dept.

---

From: Craig Sanders <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 09:20:53 +1000 (EST)

> garbage is drawn on the screen.  The maintainer(s) are aware of this

Version 3.20 is out (current debian package is 3.13), and apparently there
is a patch for it to use the Qt X user interface libraries to make it look
really good under X. 

http://student.uq.edu.au/~s002434/nhqt/ 

It would be nice to see a debian package of this (although i probably
still wont have time to play it...nethack is still my all-time favourite
game, even though i rarely play computer games these days). 

Craig

---

From: Kevin M Bealer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 20:26:07 -0400 (EDT)

> This is the wrong forum, but you can use a skeleton key or credit card.
(clip)
> Syrus.

A good place to discuss this (or anything really) is debian-talk... That's
what it is for... (anything which is not debian only but is debianated ;)

"If you want to learn about computer programming, the best book to read is
Lewis Caroll's "Alice in Wonderland" -- but that's just because it's the
best book to read on _any_ subject."
				-- fortune cookie

[email-masked]
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

---

From: Dale Scheetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 21:13:13 -0400 (EDT)

> what it is for... (anything which is not debian only but is debianated ;)
So, how do we subscribe to this list Kevin?

Dwarf

------------                                          --------------

aka   Dale Scheetz                   Phone:   1 (904) 877-0257
      Flexible Software              Fax:     NONE 
      Black Creek Critters           e-mail:  [email-masked]

------------ If you don't see what you want, just ask --------------

---

From: Kevin M Bealer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 20:00:28 -0400 (EDT)

> So, how do we subscribe to this list Kevin?

Send a message containing "subscribe" in the body to:

[email-masked]

[email-masked]
Two men looked out through prison bars;  One saw mud, the other stars.