Subject: Re: xdm problem

From: Rob Browning <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Jun 1996 23:41:51 -0500

Zachary DeAquila <[email-masked]> writes:

> I can't seem to log in through xdm into my newly upgraded from .93 to 1.1
> system.  I log in, the screen freaks out as it swaps video modes to
> the correct one that I'm running (or is it restarting the X server?
> whatever) and then... it comes back to the xdm prompt.

Check out the contents of ~/.xsession-errors after an unsuccessful
login (use a console).  xdm's whole setup changed from .93 to 1.1, so
you may need to edit the files in /etc/X11/xdm to bring your stuff up
to date.

--
Rob

---

From: Zachary DeAquila <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 18:26:05 -0500

I can't seem to log in through xdm into my newly upgraded from .93 to 1.1
system.  I log in, the screen freaks out as it swaps video modes to
the correct one that I'm running (or is it restarting the X server?
whatever) and then... it comes back to the xdm prompt.  I can log in
fine if I do a ctrl-alt-F4 and get back to the text prompt, and
if I kill xdm, I can do a startx just fine...

I'm running kernel 1.2.13, xserver_svga, and fvwm2, using config files
that worked fine under .93r6.

 ideas?

 --Zachary

---

From: Stephen Early <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 16:06:20 +0100 (BST)

> that worked fine under .93r6.

Are you sure that, when you updated the xbase package you EITHER kept all 
the old config files OR installed all the new ones? A mix will probably 
not work.

Look for errors in ~/.xsession-errors and /var/log/xdm-errors. If you 
can't get it working yourself, mail the contents of these files to me and 
I'll have a look.

Check that your ~/.xsession file is executable as well - this might have 
worked before if it wasn't, but won't now.

Steve Early
[email-masked]

---

From: Rick Hawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 12:12:05 CDT

> the old config files OR installed all the new ones? A mix will probably 

hmm.  i moved /etc/init.d/xdm to a safe place, rebooted, copied the new
kernel & modules from the other machine, rebooted & made minor changes,
put the xdm file back, and all was well.

(also, i reran xf86config while it was gone, and made some progress.  At
least i have 800x600 now, but it can't find a clock for 1024x? . .)