Subject: aout svgalib problem

From: "Jeffery S. Coy Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 20:44:39 -0700 (MST)

i just installed the aout-svgalib-1.28-6.deb package, and noticed it
installs to /usr/i486-linuxaout rather than /usr/lib/i486-linuxaout, so
the system can't find it.

i tried writing the maintainer ([email-masked]), but the host
appears not to exist.

on a side note, has anyone made a doom package for debian?

jeff
---
Why Linux?  source code. POSIX. tcpip. job control. support from the authors.
drivers for most hardware.  because one terminal or process is never enough.
    forget the other O/Ss, i use Linux- the choice of a gnu generation.

---

From: Richard Kettlewell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 96 01:26:58 +0100 (BST)

>the system can't find it.

No, /usr/i486-linuxaout/lib is the correct place; I'd expect the
problem to be something else.  I don't really have time to maintain
the svgalib packages any more and it would be good if someone else
would take over.

>i tried writing the maintainer ([email-masked]), but the host

Circumstances beyond my control and all that, I'm afraid.  I hadn't
realized that that address had made its way into package maintainer
fields.

We do have a bug tracking system for a good reason, BTW.

- Richard

-- 
http://www.elmail.co.uk/staff/richard/
GCS d- s+:- a-- C++ ULVS+++$ P+++ L++ E++ W(++,--) N(++,+) o? K w---
O? M- V? PS(+,+++) PE Y+ PGP+ t- 5++ X+@ R tv--- b++>++++ DI+ D+ G e++
h r% y++

---

From: [email-masked] (David Engel)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 21:56:30 -0500 (CDT)

> the svgalib packages any more and it would be good if someone else

This is partly my fault.  In the last libc4 package, I moved libdb.so*
from /usr/i486-linuxaout/lib to /usr/lib/i486-linuxaout.  I did this
so users who didn't install any a.out development packages
(eg. libc4-dev, aout-gcc, etc.) wouldn't have a /usr/i486-linuxaout
directory cluttering up /usr.

David
-- 
David Engel                        Optical Data Systems, Inc.
[email-masked]                      1101 E. Arapaho Road
(214) 234-6400                     Richardson, TX  75081

---

From: Richard Kettlewell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 96 15:39:03 +0100 (BST)

>directory cluttering up /usr.

Oh.  I wasn't aware of the change, though I think it a good one.  If
it was announced anywhere then I missed it.  It would have been a good
idea to tell the runtime linker to continue searching the old place,
though.  Doing this should be an adequate workaround for the time
being, I believe.

I think I've quite a bit of catching up to do on change file formats,
package uploads and so on, so (if no-one else does the job) it could
be a while before an updated version appears.

- Richard