Subject: Re: Debian 1.1 man & more

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Perens)
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 96 19:46 PDT

I think "more" won't scroll back when it is reading a pipe, only when
it is reading a file. Man drives it with a pipe.

	Bruce
--
     Clinton isn't perfect, but I like him a whole lot more than Dole.

Bruce Perens AB6YM          [email-masked]            http://www.hams.com/

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Perens)
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 96 09:29 PDT

You can define $PAGER as something like
"cat >/tmp/$$;more /tmp/$$;rm /tmp/$$" to get the back-scrolling at
the cost of somewhat reduced speed. You won't see the first page until
the last has been formatted (which is why we don't do this by default).

	Bruce

--
Pixar's Toy Story: Over 1/3 Billion dollars world box office so far.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 Jun 1996 16:03:45 -0000

Ian Jackson:
> How about having each pager program use update-alternatives to provide
> a possible variant of /usr/bin/pager, and then having man configured
> by default to use /usr/bin/pager ?

Another possibility would be to fix more so that it can scroll
backwards.  This shouldn't take more than 20 lines of code (copy stdin
to a temporary file if it's not seekable), and would work on smaller
systems.

[There are a couple optimizations that could be made, but I'd hate to
see them get in the way.]

-- 
Raul