Subject: installing with the new floppies

From: Pino Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 1996 21:58:07 +0200

I fetched the new disks (June 2nd version) and they do not seem to
work as they should. Here is my report.

 + module configuration (most remarks are trivial ...):

  fs   - binfmt_java and ufs lack an explanation
  ipv4 - there is just one module called `*', no explanation.
  misc - serial lacks explanation

  ... but this is not:

  net - no modules are detected; however modprobe from the shell seems
        to detect the network modules. I had this problem with the
        previous version as well.

 + when I execute a shell the input is not echoed back (cannot see
   what I'm typing)

 + after reboot I never get the message to set the password and login
   (the system seems to hang after the message "Starting base
   networking daemons"). I cannot login from the virtual consoles. If I
   reboot via ctrl-alt-delete, the while the system shuts down all the
   messages appear on the screen (too late now :-). This happens the
   first time aftre installation. Upon rebooting again, after a few
   minutes I'm logged in as root, no questions asked. The system seems
   to work though.

Any input for me? I can run a few tests if you tell me what to try.

Cheers,

pino

---

From: [email-masked] (Attila Megyeri)
Date: 6 Jun 1996 18:25:01 GMT

>        previous version as well.

I have the same problems. Choosing the net menu point
for a moment I see 'Segmentation fault' and I'm not able to choose any
net module. For 'lp' module everything work OK. 

At time zone configuration I cannot see what I'm typing.

After rebooting the sytems works well but no net driver so the network
is unreachable.

I boot with boot1440.bin. 

Thank you for any kind of help. 

Attila

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Perens)
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 96 12:39 PDT

From: [email-masked] (Attila Megyeri)
> net module. For 'lp' module everything work OK. 

OK. That's two people with the same problem. This does not happen on my
test system. I'll download and try again, just to make sure something
did not go awry before the upload.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
Pixar's "Toy Story": Over 1/3 Billion dollars world box office so far.

Bruce Perens AB6YM          [email-masked]            http://www.hams.com/