Subject: Re: help me?

From: Syrus Nemat-Nasser <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 15:04:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 11 Jun 1996, Chris Nielsen wrote:

> I just downloaded what I think is Debian Linux v.93R6.... And I need help installing 
> it. I have three files called "1440_base_floppy_[1|2|3]", as well as what appear to be 
> root and boot files on my d:.  I have created a seperate partition on my C: for MS-DOS, 
> and left an un-partitioned area of about 100 meg for debian.  What do I do now?  the 
> three main files don't fit on one floppy disk, at least not one formatted by Windows 
> 95, and neither will the boot floppy (after it's un-gziped).  Also, Should I go ahead 
> and partition that 100 meg I left on c:, and Should I wait for the Beta 1.1 to become 
> stable before I install?  Thanks for you help, it's really appreciated!

Hi Chris.  Whether you choose to install 0.93R6 or Beta 1.1 (which now resides
in the "unstable" directory), you will need to use a program called rawrite.exe
in msdos to write the files you mentionned directly to pre-formatted floppies. 
You cannot copy the files using the dos "copy" command, or the disks will not
work for the installation.  The program, rawrite, should be available on the ftp
site where you found the floppy images, perhaps in a directory called "tools" or
something.  You may find that 100MB will not be enough to create more than a
simple system, but that depends on what you choose to install.

I suggest that you use the 1.1 Beta version.  In the directory with the floppy
disk images, you will find a document which explains in detail how to intall the
1.1 Beta system from floppy disks.  This information is also available at the
Debian www page http://www.debian.org under the 1.1 Beta link near the top of
the page.

Good Luck.  Syrus.

----------------------------------------------------------
Syrus Nemat-Nasser <[email-masked]>    UCSD Physics Dept.

---

From: Chris Nielsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 16:19:14 -0400