Subject: problem with traceroute

From: Scott Barker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 15:09:25 -0600 (MDT)

Since upgrading netstd to version 2.03-1, I'm getting the following error out
of traceroute:

traceroute: IP_HDRINCL: Protocol not available

Is this because I'm still running a 1.2.13 kernel? Is the above protocol
something new in 1.3.xx?

-- 
Scott Barker
Linux Consultant
[email-masked]
http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~barkers/   (under construction)

[ I try to reply to all e-mail within 5 days. If you don't  ]
[ get a response by then, I probably didn't get your e-mail ]
[ (we have a sometimes sporadic connection to the internet) ]

"It takes a long time to understand nothing."
   - Edward Dahlberg

---

From: Mark Eichin <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Jun 1996 00:59:57 -0400

> traceroute: IP_HDRINCL: Protocol not available

I've also noticed this under 1.2.13. (the same package works fine on
my 1.3.79 machine, and I should really update both kernels...)

There are actually a number of "unstable" packages that don't work
under 1.2.13 -- most have explicit dependencies (diald used to, for
example) but some don't. BIND, for example, needs the "ip_options"
support that was added in 1.3 (though I've submitted a reasonably
clean fix for that, I understand if there isn't much interest in it.)
Certainly once 2.0 comes out I'll give up and upgrade :-)

---

From: Scott Barker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 1996 01:03:55 -0600 (MDT)

> clean fix for that, I understand if there isn't much interest in it.)

Interesting. I've had no problems at all with BIND... 
Guess I may have to bite the bullet and use a development kernel if 2.x
doesn't come out real soon...

"What we call 'Progress' is the exchange of one nuisance for another
   nuisance."
   - Henry Havelock Ellis

---

From: Mark Eichin <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Jun 1996 19:38:53 -0400

> Interesting. I've had no problems at all with BIND... 

If you're running a 1.2.x kernel and an unstable bind, zone transfers
from your machine will fail (because it attempts to get the ip
options, something not supported in 1.2.x, and on failure drops the
connection.) This only matters if you're the primary DNS for some
domain (which my 1.2.13 machine is.)