Subject: Unidentified subject!

From: Noam Rettig <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 21:20:35 -0500

I'm rather new to Debian, so this may seem trivial.  It certainly is
frustrating.  I was in an X session and wanted to switch to another console.
I figured out that Ctrl+Alt+Fn will work.  However, I can't switch back.
'who' says that I am using the ttyp0 console.  How do I switch to it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks In Advance,

[email-masked]

---

From: Syrus Nemat-Nasser <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 19:43:50 -0700 (PDT)

>From console mode, Alt+F7 returns you to your X session.

Cheers.  Syrus.

----------------------------------------------------------
Syrus Nemat-Nasser <[email-masked]>    UCSD Physics Dept.

---

From: Dale Scheetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 08:11:58 -0400 (EDT)

> 'who' says that I am using the ttyp0 console.  How do I switch to it?
Try the first VC above the assigned ones. For Debian this is F7.

Luck,

Dwarf

------------                                          --------------

aka   Dale Scheetz                   Phone:   1 (904) 877-0257
      Flexible Software              Fax:     NONE 
      Black Creek Critters           e-mail:  [email-masked]

------------ If you don't see what you want, just ask --------------

---

From: Max Hyre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 96 10:45:08 EDT

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

   Dear Debianists:

   While we're on the subject, does anyone have any suggestions as to
why ctl-alt-bs might not kill X?

   I was running a 0.93R6 system, started X with xdm from a (non-root,
I think) command line, but could't get out as advertised.  I tried both
the backspace key above the return, and ctl-alt-H (just in case ctl-H
might have something to do with it).  I ended up doing ctl-alt-Fx to a
virtual terminal, ps to find X's pid, then killing that.

   Any thoughts welcome.

		Thanks in advance,

				Max Hyre