Subject: digested mailing list available?

From: John Cook <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 96 12:11:00 PDT

Does this mailing list offer the option of receiving periodic
message digests as e-mail instead of every inidividual message?

John Cook
(just signed on)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 96 15:25 EDT

John Cook writes:
  John>  Does this mailing list offer the option of receiving periodic
  John> message digests as e-mail instead of every inidividual message?

No, but you can use mailagent or procmail (both available as Debian packages)
to filter you mail into different folders which IMHO is better than digests.

I use procmail the following regexp in ~/.procmailrc to filter debian-user:

:0:                             # mail To or CC debian-user
* (^To|^CC|^Resent-).*debian-user@(.*pixar.com|.*yggdrasil.com|.*debian.org)
in.debian-user   

It is not as complicated as it looks. The ":0:" line starts a new rule, and
"in.debian-user" ends it by saying that debian-user is my incoming mail
folder. Any mail that has a To:, CC: or Resent: which contains debian-user@
followed by any of the three possible lists (our old one, our new one, and
yggdrasil's gateway) get sorted into that folder. I use similar ones for
other mailing lists.

--
Dirk Eddelb"uttel                             http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd