Subject: manpage compression

From: Derek Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 22:23:07 -0400

Hi,

I notice that the debian packages install man pages without
compression.  If I would like to gzip all my man pages to save space,
is there some way ask the install scripts to do so? I cannot just go
in and gzip all the files in my /usr/man directories because:

(1) If all my man pages have .gz suffices, then they won't be
overwritten when I upgrade packages.

(2) There are symbolic links which assume that the man pages are not
compressed.

--Derek Lee

---

From: Rob Browning <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Jun 1996 21:41:25 -0500

> is there some way ask the install scripts to do so? I cannot just go

This issue has been discussed, but not resolved.  It was decided to
wait until after the 1.1 release to deal with it.  For now you would
probably be better off to try and just live with the uncompressed
pages.  Compressing them yourself would, as you accurately surmised,
probably cause more problems than it solves.

--
Rob