Subject: loss of routing info with 2.0.0

From: Rick Hawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 15:25:24 CDT

I have compiled the 2.0.0 kernel (successfully), but lost my routing
info in the process (coming from 1.3.95).  "route" only shows the
machine itself.

If i manually add the missing router & gateway, it works fine, but i
lose this on reboot. 

help! :)

rick

---

From: Rob Browning <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Jun 1996 17:35:50 -0500

> If i manually add the missing router & gateway, it works fine, but i

I don't know if this is related, but I lost all net connectivity on
one of my ethernet connected machines today when I upgraded to 2.0.
It turned out that the difference was that the machine had
NETMASK="255.255.0.0" instead of NETMASK="255.255.255.0".  When I
changed this in /etc/init.d/network, the problem went away.

--
Rob

---

From: Martin Konold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 11:30:23 +0200

> If i manually add the missing router & gateway, it works fine, but i

Please look at /etc/init.d/
probably some files did change within this directory.
Look at the file dates and for backups within this directory.

Yours,
-- martin

// Martin Konold, Muenzgasse 7, 72070 Tuebingen, Germany  // 
// Email: [email-masked]            // 
//    http://www.schwaben.de/linux                        // 
Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistributing this work in any form, in
whole or in part.   License to distribute this post is available to Microsoft
for $299. Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to these terms.

---

From: Kevin M Bealer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 02:13:46 -0400 (EDT)

> If i manually add the missing router & gateway, it works fine, but i

I had to add a default gateway to one of the files in /etc/init.d also:

route add default gw (my gateway's ip)

NOTE: I don't know if this has been fixed or where the problem is .. I'm not
sure how up-to-date my system is.  Also this may not be the correct fix.

This happened around the same Kernel versions you mention.  However at the
same time I also had to reinstall the entirety of Debian due to disk
corruption... (fsck actually hanged the system) so I thought it was just me.

[email-masked]
Pascal, n.:  A programming language named after a man who would turn over in
his grave if he knew about it.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 09:58:32 -0500 (CDT)

> If i manually add the missing router & gateway, it works fine, but i

I'm not sure if this is related at all.. but, I noticed looking
through the upgrade notices for 2.0.0 that the following was listed:

Network errors with recent kernels
==================================
 
   Many default network scripts are set up to add a route to the
localhost at 127.0.0.1 at startup.  However, they do this incorrectly.
To fix the error, which is now spotted by the kernel (causing many
daemons to quit working), look for a line like `route add -net
127.0.0.1' in your network configuration files and change it to `route
add -net 127.0.0.0'.
 
   This error is present in all Red Hat distributions (and derivative
distributions like Caldera).  If you're running one of these, edit
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-lo, changing the line `route add
-net $(IPADDR)' to `route add -net 127.0.0.0' and you should be fine.

Since I haven't yet installed 2.0.0 myself, I can't test out what
the problem might be.  But, perhaps this may help.

Cheers!
Richard..

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Dansereau
Email: [email-masked]          Home page:  http://pobox.com/~rdanse
Electrical and Computer Engineering - University of Manitoba - Canada
---------------------------------------------------------------------