Subject: Re: Debian 1.1 will include the Linux 2.0 kernel

From: Rick Hawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 11:14:55 CDT

> From:    Martin Konold <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: Debian 1.1 will include the Linux 2.0 kernel

> 1.) There are distributions which only need to rawrite one singel disk.
>     versa five!

beg pardon?  debian requires two, root & boot.   It also requires either
the 3 disks, or a file (base1_1.tgz) be available in the top two levels
of the file system.

Given a CD packaging, i suspect that the requirement for the root disk
could be eliminated, making it one disk (but i don't know enough about
file systems; don't hold me to this :).  

Similarly, a pair could be made with nfs support in the boot kernel,
which would require an nfs source for the rest of the files.

---

From: Martin Konold <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 18:27:58 +0200

> which would require an nfs source for the rest of the files.

You are right this _could_ be made. 
But I do think that this should be considered for the new unstable aka 
1.2 Release.
The documentation of 1.1 tells the user to prepare boot, root, base[1-3]
this sums up to 5 disks.
Actually I do think it is more important to support most of the standard 
hardware components than to change the install procedure for 1.1.
(Not beeing able to install on a P5 with a NCR 810 is a petty)

Yours,
-- martin

// Martin Konold, Muenzgasse 7, 72070 Tuebingen, Germany  // 
// Email: [email-masked]            // 
//    http://www.schwaben.de/linux                        // 
Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistributing this work in any form, in
whole or in part.   License to distribute this post is available to Microsoft
for $299. Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to these terms.