Subject: dselect -- how to use with partial distribution tree?

From: Oliver Schoett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 13:58:02 +0200

I have been trying to use dselect 1.2.3 on a partial 1.1beta
distribution tree obtained as an FTP mirror:

   dpkg --clear-avail
   dpkg-deb -AR binary-i386

[I did not want to point dselect at the packages file of the partial
tree, because that contains also those packages that I do not have.]

When I then call dselect, I get packages displayed in status

 - obsolete: installed packages not in my partial tree

 - "need upgrade" (or so): installed packages with a newer version in
   the partial tree

 - up-to-date: installed packages equal to the version in
   the partial tree

All this is ok, but I do not get displayed the packages in my partial
distribution tree that are not yet installed on my system.  I have
looked into /var/lib/dpkg, and information about the new packages has
been registered there.

Is there a way to make dselect display the new packages also?

-- 
Oliver Schoett  |s |d&|m |  software design & management GmbH & Co. KG
                |  |  |  |  Thomas-Dehler-Str. 27       81737 Muenchen
[email-masked]       |  |  |  |  Germany         +49 89 63812-302, Fax -150