Subject: linux2.0

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 17:11:18 -0400

Would the release of debian 1.1 use the new stable Linux (v2.0)?

--Derek Lee

---

From: Derek Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 14:54:13 -0400

Rob Browning wrote:
> 
> I'm not sure if it'll be packaged in time for the initial 1.1 release,
> but it'll certainly be available shortly thereafter.
> 
> Anyway, using the new kernel-package package, it's pretty trivial to
> do it yourself.
> 
I am afraid I am not familiar with the kernel-package package.
Is this a package to build any kernel version and install it in
a debian way?

Derek

---

From: Rob Browning <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Jun 1996 13:47:24 -0500

--
Rob

---

From: Rob Browning <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Jun 1996 16:12:11 -0500

> Is this a package to build any kernel version and install it in

Bingo.  I'm using it as we speak.  I'm not sure if it has made it to
the unstable tree on all the mirrors yet, but it should soon.

When you get it, the docs are /usr/doc/kernel-package, as expected.
--
Rob

---

From: Austin Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 96 22:08 BST

> Would the release of debian 1.1 use the new stable Linux (v2.0)?

Yes, Debian 1.1 will ship with a 2.0 kernel.

(In fact, the latest available kernel will generally be made available
as the kernel-image-2.0.xx-0.deb).

Austin

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Perens)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 96 15:30 PDT

Kernel-package seems to be in the project/experimental directory of the
archive. I don't know why...

	Bruce

---

From: Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jun 1996 02:50:52 -0400

Hi,
>>"Bruce" == Bruce Perens <[email-masked]> writes:

Bruce> Kernel-package seems to be in the project/experimental
Bruce> directory of the archive. I don't know why...

	It's there because I wasn't sure that the user interface was
 stable enough to let it on the wide public just as we went into a
 code-freeze -- I have some ideas I've been holding off till after the
 1.1 release that would make the process a lot easier (at the expense
 of changing user interaction).

	The package will move out of the experimental directory after
 the new version is released (but please go ahead and use it; I am
 looking for suggestions to make the kernel build process easier, and
 feedback on the current package is invaluable).

	manoj

-- 
 An executive will always return to work from lunch early if no one
 takes him.
Manoj Srivastava               Systems Research Programmer, Project Pilgrim,
Phone: (413) 545-3918                A143B Lederle Graduate Research Center,
Fax:   (413) 545-1249         University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003
<[email-masked]> <URL:http://www.pilgrim.umass.edu/%7Esrivasta/>