Subject: rlogin localhost

From: Mark Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 02:09:46 +1000

I tried to rlogin to my own machine, but got:

>rlogin localhost
localhost: Connection refused

Why was this?  Is there something I need to do to allow rlogin
connections, or doesn't it make sense to rlogin to localhost?
(Nor can I do telnet, finger or ftp - I can do ping though.)

Also, what is the relationship between a machine name and IP
addresses?  As I understand it, a single machine may have more than
one IP address if it is on several networks, and yet often the machine
name is an alias for one of these addresses - I'm a bit confused about
the role of the machine name.

Mark Phillips.  ([email-masked])

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Jun 1996 18:23:29 +0200

>>>>> On Mon, 17 Jun 1996 02:09:46 +1000, Mark Phillips
>>>>> <[email-masked]> said:

  Mark> Why was this?  Is there something I need to do to allow rlogin
  Mark> connections, or doesn't it make sense to rlogin to localhost?
  Mark> (Nor can I do telnet, finger or ftp - I can do ping though.)

Maybe the services are commented out in /etc/inetd.conf?

I think ping uses the echo protocol which is built in to inetd, so
maybe the entries in /etc/inetd.conf that say to run telnetd, rlogind
and similar stuff are wrong?  Check the file and see if you have the
executables in the right paths.

kai
-- 
Life is hard and then you die.

---

From: Amos Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 22:51:33 +0300

In message <[email-masked]> you write:
|>>>>> On Mon, 17 Jun 1996 02:09:46 +1000, Mark Phillips
|>>>>> <[email-masked]> said:
|
|  Mark> Why was this?  Is there something I need to do to allow rlogin
|  Mark> connections, or doesn't it make sense to rlogin to localhost?
|  Mark> (Nor can I do telnet, finger or ftp - I can do ping though.)
|
|Maybe the services are commented out in /etc/inetd.conf?

Probably.

(if I'm linking the original question to a "Connection refused"
message right) - you get "Connecion refused" when the machine is
reachable and functional, but there is nobody listening on that
particular port.

|I think ping uses the echo protocol which is built in to inetd, so
|maybe the entries in /etc/inetd.conf that say to run telnetd, rlogind
|and similar stuff are wrong?  Check the file and see if you have the
|executables in the right paths.

Ping uses ICMP-ECHO packets.  So you can get "elvis is alive" while
elvis has just configured the network card but before anything is
running.  That would comply with the "connection refused" message too.

Just make sure your inetd is running, take a look at your inetd.conf
file and return to us.

Cheers,

--Amos

--Amos Shapira                    | "Of course Australia was marked for
133 Shlomo Ben-Yosef st.          |  glory, for its people had been chosen
Jerusalem 93 805                  |  by the finest judges in England."
ISRAEL             [email-masked] |                     -- Anonymous