Subject: No terminal capabilities after upgrade

From: [email-masked] (Gerry Jensen)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 96 21:08 MDT

HELP!  I just upgraded to Debian 1.1 from .93.  Now whenever I try to
run anything that requires any terminal capabilities, I get something
like "xterm: unable to find usable termcap entry", or "Terminal type
vt100 is unknown".  I have ncurses-base-1.9.9e-1,
ncurses-bin-1.9.9e-1, and ncurses3.0-1.9.9e-1 all successfully
installed.  Strangely, I had an /etc/termcap file which belonged to no
installed package (by running dpkg -S /etc/termcap) on the system.
Does anyone have any idea what might have gone wrong?

Thanks,

Gerry

---

From: Gerry Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 22:37:24 -0600 (MDT)

> installed.

I solved my problem, but I still don't know the cause.  Re-installing the
above 3 packages restored my terminal capabilities.  This is strange
because it had shown that they were all successfully installed before.  I
also installed libc4, libc5-dev and ncurses-developer before re-installing
the packages which may have had some effect (but probably not).

>  Strangely, I had an /etc/termcap file which belonged to no

Still don't know where this termcap file comes from.  It's also on my
Debian system at home and also belongs to no installed package.

Gerry
[email-masked]

---

From: Guy Maor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 09:00:24 -0500 (CDT)

> Debian system at home and also belongs to no installed package.

It was a conffile of 0.93r6 base.  It's not used by any package, and
it's safe to delete it.  If you need termcap compatibility for old
non-debian programs, install the termcap-compat package, which includes
libtermcap and a better /etc/termcap.

Guy