Subject: Re: PPP problem w/ 1.1 install

From: Amos Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 1996 21:58:23 +0300

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> >>"Brian" == Brian C White <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> >> There is indeed a Debian-ized version of the kernel. The package
> >> is >> called kernel-image.

I'm still looking for this kernel-image package.  Can't find it in the ls-lR
files.

> 
> >> You could also grab the raw source and use kernel-package package
> >> to generate your new image package.  This is the recommended method
> >> for generating custom kernel images.

This sounds much more like it.

Now what about support for multiple kernels?  Is it possible to have a
rule to install the new kernel *near* (instead of over) other kernels, or
even near other compiles of same kernel?  You must know the urge to keep
at least one prooven kernel around in case the new one crashes.

As it is now, it looks like ytou have to manually shift /System.map and
/vmlinuz and add entries to lilo.conf, or am I missing something?

Cheers,

-- 
--Amos Shapira                  | "Of course Australia was marked for
                                |  glory, for its people had been chosen
[email-masked]                  |  by the finest judges in England."
                                |                         -- Anonymous

---

From: [email-masked] (Kai Henningsen)
Date: 02 Jun 1996 19:12:00 +0200

[email-masked] (Brian C. White)  wrote on 30.05.96 in <[email-masked]·2>:

> > >> There is indeed a Debian-ized version of the kernel. The package is
> > >> called kernel-image.
> >
> >         You could also grab the raw source and use kernel-package
> > package to generate your new image package.  This is the recommended
> > method for generating custom kernel images.
>
> Could you point me to exactly where this is recommended?
>
> In any case, though, I have no desire to follow this path.  I like
> building my kernel directly from the main sources.  I don't want to
> have to wait for a package to get built or apply patches to the
> debian sources.

I think you misunderstand something here. The beauty of the current scheme  
is that you can do exactly that!

Just unpack the main kernel sources, unpack the kernel-package (not kernel- 
source or kernel-image) on top of it, make config, debian.rules  
kernel_image, and dpkg -i kernel-image-whatever (but check the docs for  
the spelling, this is off my head!).

There's no need to wait for someone making a kernel-image-*.deb for you.  
You can make one yourself.

> But neither I nor some others install the Debian kernels.  We like
> building our own.

Again, there's no conflict. Really. Just have a look at it.

MfG Kai

---

From: Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
Date: 03 Jun 1996 02:11:37 -0400

Hi,
>>"Amos" == Amos Shapira <[email-masked]> writes:
Amos> I'm still looking for this kernel-image package.  Can't find it
Amos> in the ls-lR files.

	It should appear in the mirrors soon, it was moved out of
incoming recently.

Amos> Now what about support for multiple kernels?  Is it possible to
Amos> have a rule to install the new kernel *near* (instead of over)
Amos> other kernels, or even near other compiles of same kernel?  You
Amos> must know the urge to keep at least one prooven kernel around in
Amos> case the new one crashes.

	The recent kernel packages (headers, sources, and image),
being build from the package kernel-package (or a close ancestor), do
not overwrite older versions. They allow you to keep as many versions
of images or sources on your system as you desire (you, then, have to
explicitly delete them to have them go away).  I always have tow
versions myself ...

Amos> As it is now, it looks like ytou have to manually shift
Amos> /System.map and /vmlinuz and add entries to lilo.conf, or am I
Amos> missing something? 

	Yes, the newer kernel-image-X.X.XX packages (which handle all
these details for you).

	manoj
--
"Can you imagine what it would be like if there had been ``look and
feel'' lawsuits over automobiles?"  -- Mark Diekhans ([email-masked])
%%

Manoj Srivastava               Systems Research Programmer, Project Pilgrim,
Phone: (413) 545-3918                A143B Lederle Graduate Research Center,
Fax:   (413) 545-1249         University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003
<[email-masked]> <URL:http://www.pilgrim.umass.edu/%7Esrivasta/>