Subject: PPP link kills routing table

From: Mark Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 17:52:53 +1000

Hi,

Thank's to all the people who have helped me recently.  Every time I
solve one problem, another appears.

I tried establishing a ppp link and found it didn't work.  To find out
what was going on, I ran route and got:

# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref Use Iface

and then route just hung.

When pppd was not connected, I got:

# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
localnet        *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0 1 eth0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0 6 lo
default         *               0.0.0.0         U     1      0 12 eth0

or, doing route -n:

# route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.1.1.0       0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0 1 eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0 6 lo
0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         U     1      0 12 eth0

I tried several things to try and get it to work.  Previously ppp had
worked when I had nothing in my /etc/modules file, so I tried
commenting out the entries and rebooted.  PPP now works (as you can
see by the fact that I am typing this), however I think ppp working is
the result of a side effect: namely, that as a result my local
ethernet network wasn't setup.  If I now type route, before running
pppd, I get:

# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
localhost       *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0 2 lo

And with pppd running I get:

# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
localhost       *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0 2 lo
annex05.cc.flin *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0 0 ppp0
default         annex05.cc.flin 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0 3 ppp0

So the question is: what is wrong?  Why can't I run the ethernet
network and pppd at the same time?  I could with my old slackware
system.

Thank's for your help,

Mark Phillips.  ([email-masked])

P.S.  I'm not convinced it is a problem with the ethernet network
because I think (but am not sure) that I may have previously had a
debian system working with both pppd and ethernet running
simultaneously, though, if I remember rightly, I routed ethernet
manually that time.

---

From: Eric Hoeltzel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 17:54:04 -0700 (PDT)

I have had the same problem, I think, for some time. After
connecting to my isp's dialup with ppp route will just hang
as Mark mentioned. I have just merrily ignored it and manually
typed 'route add -net default ppp0' and then it works. Not a
big inconvienence, but I have been curious why this happens.
I do have defaultroute in my /etc/ppp/options.

Eric Hoeltzel ([email-masked])

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Jun 1996 16:54:11 +0200

>>>>> On Tue, 18 Jun 1996 17:52:53 +1000, Mark Phillips
>>>>> <[email-masked]> said:

  Mark> I tried establishing a ppp link and found it didn't work.  To
  Mark> find out what was going on, I ran route and got: [...]

There is a `defaultroute' option for pppd.  You might want to try
fiddling with that in /etc/ppp/options and see if it does something.
In any case, you should be able to put any `route' commands you need
in the /etc/ppp/ip-{up,down} scripts.  This would be just a kluge but
it would work, I guess.  Not that I have actually ever tried something
like this, nor that I know anything about routing :)

kai
-- 
Life is hard and then you die.

---

From: Dale Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 08:26:14 -0400

>>>>> "Eric" == Eric Hoeltzel <[email-masked]> writes:

Eric> I have had the same problem, I think, for some time. After
Eric> connecting to my isp's dialup with ppp route will just hang as
Eric> Mark mentioned. I have just merrily ignored it and manually
Eric> typed 'route add -net default ppp0' and then it works. Not a big
Eric> inconvienence, but I have been curious why this happens.  I do
Eric> have defaultroute in my /etc/ppp/options.

Eric> Eric Hoeltzel ([email-masked])

Try doing a "route -n".  This will list the routing table numerically
- if you have no route to the nameserver listed in /etc/resolv.conf,
then you can at least still get some feedback on routes that DO
exist.  Sorry that I can't help on your REAL problem of getting
default routes right...

Later,
	Dale

---

From: Mark Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 08:16:13 +1000

>fiddling with that in /etc/ppp/options and see if it does something.

I do use this option.

I would like to solve this problem, but in the mean time, can someone
please tell me what I should do to manually setup the routing table
correctly.  Thanks.

Mark.

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Jun 1996 17:55:53 +0200

>>>>> On Wed, 19 Jun 1996 08:16:13 +1000, Mark Phillips

  Mark> I do use this option.

Hm.  I already thought so.  I thought maybe *taking it out* would do
something useful.

  Mark> I would like to solve this problem, but in the mean time, can
  Mark> someone please tell me what I should do to manually setup the
  Mark> routing table correctly.  Thanks.

Like I said, I don't really know what I'm talking about, but there are
scripts /etc/ppp/ip-{up,down}.  Just put the necessary `route'
commands in there.  I assume you know how to `route' manually as you
said you have done this in the past.  Sadly, I *don't* know how to use
`route'.

hth,
kai

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim 'The Unslept' Sailer)
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 15:50:41 -0400 (EDT)

> please tell me what I should do to manually setup the routing table

Bear in mind that the pppd default route will *not* overwrite the
eth0 (or any other) default route.

Tim

-- 
		       [email-masked]
            "Very Pete Townshendish." "Who?" "Exactly."
 -- Anon
** Disclaimer: My views/comments/beliefs, as strange as they are, are my own.**

---

From: Bengt-Ove Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1996 16:07:15 +0200 (MET DST)

> what was going on, I ran route and got:

What exactly happens when you try to run pppd? Any messages in
/var/adm/messages or /var/adm/debug?

[...]
> ethernet network wasn't setup.  If I now type route, before running

Remove the eth0 entries by using ifconfig and try to run pppd. It could be
as simple as an interrupt conflict between your ethernet card and the
serial port pppd is using.

I had that problem a while ago. My ethernet and my ppp link was mutually
exclusive.

/Bengt-Ove Johansson!

---

From: Mark Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 14:51:03 +1000

>/var/adm/messages or /var/adm/debug?

Yes, and even more instructive were messages from /var/adm/daemon.log

Eg:

Jul  1 20:38:15 destiny pppd[560]: pppd 2.2.0 started by root, uid 0
Jul  1 20:38:15 destiny pppd[560]: Using interface ppp0
Jul  1 20:38:15 destiny pppd[560]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/cua1
Jul  1 20:38:15 destiny pppd[560]: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <mru 1006> <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x52f38034> <pcomp> <accomp>]
Jul  1 20:38:15 destiny pppd[560]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x7 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x9710b401> <pcomp> <accomp>]
Jul  1 20:38:15 destiny pppd[560]: sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x7 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x9710b401> <pcomp> <accomp>]
Jul  1 20:38:15 destiny pppd[560]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x8 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x9710b401> <pcomp> <accomp>]
Jul  1 20:38:15 destiny pppd[560]: sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x8 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x9710b401> <pcomp> <accomp>]
Jul  1 20:38:15 destiny pppd[560]: rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <mru 1006> <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x52f38034> <pcomp> <accomp>]
Jul  1 20:38:15 destiny pppd[560]: sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr 192.1.1.1> <compress VJ 0f 01>]
Jul  1 20:38:42 destiny last message repeated 9 times
Jul  1 20:38:45 destiny pppd[560]: IPCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

>serial port pppd is using.

There are still problems with eth0 removed.  Besides my ethernet card
uses interrupt 5 whereas my modem uses interrupt 3.

No one seems to be able to help me with my PPP problems.  Though I am
thankful to those who have tried.