Subject: Re: Problems doing compiles.

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Perens)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 96 19:55 PDT

It looks as if you aren't getting the definition of wchar_t.
To kluge around the problem put "typedef unsigned long wchar_t;" before
line 333 in stdio.h . The correct way to fix this is to get the latest
libc and libc-dev packages and install them. If the problem doesn't go
away, tell us.

	Bruce

---

From: Evan Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 23:08:15 -0500 (CDT)

Thanks for your reply.

As far as I know, I have the latest packages...  I got them from the
mirror a few days ago.

The ones I have installed are:

libc5-5.2.18-6.deb dated May 1
libc5-dev-5.2.18-6.deb dated May 1
gcc-2.7.2-8.deb dated May 2

In fact, I have reinstalled them (and others, "just in case") several
times in the course of trying to get this working.

A few days ago, I tried kludging around the problem like your
suggestion, and then everything compiles fine, but on the link step, of
larger packages (like the kernel) I get back a bunch of "undefined
reference to `_ctype'" messages on the link step, although my "hello,
world" test program will compile and link (but nothing else will).

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

Evan

| Evan Harris - [email-masked] - All flames to /dev/nul
|
| RIP Bill Hicks - "I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or vicious... but I
|                   am, so that's the way it comes out."

---

From: [email-masked] (David Engel)
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 08:56:50 -0500 (CDT)

> world" test program will compile and link (but nothing else will).

Please send the output from 'dpkg -l' and from compiling your program
with 'gcc -v'.

David
-- 
David Engel                        Optical Data Systems, Inc.
[email-masked]                      1101 E. Arapaho Road
(214) 234-6400                     Richardson, TX  75081