Subject: Re: Strange IP address...

From: Branden Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 11:21:32 -0500 (EST)

[...]
> Anyway, the intranet is a Window NT net and while goofing around I 
> discovered that my machine has two IP addresses.  One is the one 
> assigned, 172.16.18.5 and the other is 127.0.0.1.  I think I have gone 
> through all the config files in /etc and I can't find out where this 
> address is being sent out from.  When I reboot with just the Windows for 
> Workgroups the address disappears so I am assuming it is an artifact of 
> one of the network items I installed on the Linux side.  
> 
> Can someone tell me which package has this generic address and where I 
> can find it and kill it?

127.0.0.1 is the generic loopback address for all machines that use IP
addressing.  On every machine it means "myself".  Don't try to wipe it out
or you may find some of your software doesn't work.

Any IP packets addressed to 127.0.0.1 should never leave the machine they
originate from (unless maybe they're source-routed????) -- if you find
packets with that destination address getting off your machine and onto the
wires then you have a big problem.  But I doubt that is the case -- some
stuff would have to be pretty broken to permit that.

In a nutshell: this is normal.  You don't have a problem.

-- 
 "Human beings rarely imagine a god that behaves any  | G. Branden Robinson
  better than a spoiled child."                       | Purdue University
                    -- Robert Heinlein                | [email-masked]

---

From: Craig Harmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 09:03:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I have recently installed the beta version of Debian on a Gateway that is 
connected on an intranet at work.  (The installation was flawless by the 
way.)

I have recompiled the kernel and added all the network support and apache 
as I will be running an intranet-based website with teaching files for 
radiology residents.  It is actually pretty cool, we save the images in 
bitmap form and using MS Frontpage very quickly write teaching files.  
The doctors in the hospital can then view the images with netscape.

Regards,
Craig

---

From: Andreas Kerzmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 18:19:13 +0200

> Can someone tell me which package has this generic address and where I 

The 127.0.0.1 address is the so-called localhost-address. Linux uses this 
address if it is running standalone, no network available, and for local
purposes. Thus you should not remove this address, which normally is found
int /etc/hosts. 

Andreas.

---

From: Rob Browning <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jun 1996 13:00:46 -0500

> In a nutshell: this is normal.  You don't have a problem.

I'm not sure if this is related, but there was one problem with the
*configuration* of the loopback interface that was fixed in the latest
package.

The original /etc/init.d/network read:

# Configure the loopback device.
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add 127.0.0.1
 
It should read:

# Configure the loopback device.
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0 dev lo 

This is mentioned in the Changes file for the new kernel (among other
places).

--
Rob

---

From: Craig Harmon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 17:34:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hello again,

Firstly thank you to all those that responded to my first question.  
Hopefully this one will not be as trivial.

On the Windows NT network, I am trying to connect to another machine.  
Using the Windows Fro Workgroups there is a terminal emulation/connection 
software called SmarTerm that uses a LAT protocal to connect to the other 
machine through the Windows NT net.  I know the address of the other 
machine and it seems to absorb all my pings and telnet doesn't work 
either.  I can't find anything in the network software that says anything 
about this sort of protocal.  Does anyone know any linux software that 
will allow me to connect in this way?

Thanking you in advance,

Craig

---

From: "Richard G. Roberto" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 12:16:47 -0400 (EDT)

LAT is a DEC protocol!  There used to be a commercial package available
for unix called SuperLAT that emulated lat over TCP/IP and allowed
incoming LAT conections, but I don't know of anything available for
linux.  I don't think SAMBA has LAT capabilities.  It would be nice
though, telnet and rlogin/rsh send one character at a time over the wire
and LAT sends larger (configureable?) chunks.  Try using another protocol
in the Window$ emulator (like telnet?).

bye ...

> will allow me to connect in this way?

***************************************************************************
*Richard G. Roberto		*	"until we extend the realm of our *
[email-masked]			*	 compassion to all living things, *
*201-739-2886               	*	 we will not ourselves have peace"*
*Whippany, NJ			*	- Albert Schweitzer 		  *	
***************************************************************************

-- Disclaimer Below --

--
*******************************************************************************
Bear Stearns is not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, offer or
agreement or any information about any transaction, customer account or account
activity contained in this communication.
*******************************************************************************