Subject: kernel-package and perl, without perl package

From: Ed Donovan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 96 22:20 EDT

I'd like to continue to have a working perl binary without installing
the full package; disk space is a big issue.  The base set of 0.93 gave
me perl 5.001m as /usr/bin/perl (and /bin/perl symlinked to it).  To
dpkg it's orphaned; and I can't dig up an old Contents file now to see
if any old package 'fesses up.  All of the 'base' packages on my system
are current, but I still have that a.out perl and nothing more recent.

This has become a foreground issue since kernel-package requires perl
5.002.  Do I have to install the whole perl package, or can I get a
no-frills, dpkg-recognized 5.002 binary?  (and then force-depends
kernel-package?  Or can I just force it now?  I'm presuming Manoj had
his reasons.)

Does everybody else just have the perl package installed?  :-)

-- 

Ed Donovan			[email-masked]

PS - Repeat question, sorry; in May this was part of a long
letter, but slipped through the cracks.

PPS - Congratulations, Bruce and everybody, on Debian 1.1.  Thanks.