Subject: 1.1 Beta Install (11 June 1996 disks)

From: Andy Dougherty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 11:04:27 -0400 (EDT)

I tried a fresh install of 1.1 Beta using the 11 June 1996 disks.

The installation disks worked quite well, including modules configuration.
The core dump in configuring the net/ modules is indeed gone.  My
/etc/modules file is also now properly populated with the modules I selected.
Good job.  Thanks.

My remaining complaints are two-fold:

1.  My PS/2 mouse no longer works.  I'll try to track this down today.

2.  Several packages in the buzz/ directory probably ought to be updated.
    In particular, I find dselect-1.2.6 much nicer than 1.2.3.  Less 
    important, but more jarring, is that the system is installed with
    kernel 2.0.0, but all the devel/ stuff is still 1.99.7.

---

From: Chris Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 17:40:12 +0100

> 1.  My PS/2 mouse no longer works.  I'll try to track this down today.

Try compiling the kernel with PS/2 mouse support in the kernel, rather than
as a module. I can't use the kernel-image-1.99.7 for this reason, as lack of
mouse support seems to cause X to hang the computer. I've reported this
(Bug#3265), and if you can throw more light on it, I'm sure it would be
welcome. I'm beginning to wonder whether this problem is a kernel bug.

Chris

---

From: Andy Dougherty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 15:00:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 14 Jun 1996, Chris Walker wrote:

> as a module.

The problem is that the psaux module wasn't available on the 11 June 
installation disks (unless I goofed up somewhere in the installation).

In my case, the fix was simple, if rather long-winded. I obtained the
kernel 2.0.0.tar.gz sources, configured, built, and installed a new kernel
with PS/2 mouse support using the nifty kernel-package package (from
project/experimental). 

Back to the installation issue . . . is there room on the root diskette 
to include the psaux module?  I doubt I'm the only Debian user with a 
PS/2-style mouse.  That one only thing I needed to add.

    Andy Dougherty		[email-masked]
    Dept. of Physics
    Lafayette College, Easton PA 18042

---

From: Scott Barker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 13:00:40 -0600 (MDT)

> welcome. I'm beginning to wonder whether this problem is a kernel bug.

I am using kernel 2.0, and I have the ps/2 mouse compiled as a module. It
works just fine. When I start X, a module 'misc' is loaded, which seems to be
a pre-depend for the psaux module.

-- 
Scott Barker
Linux Consultant
[email-masked]
http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~barkers/   (under construction)

[ I try to reply to all e-mail within 5 days. If you don't  ]
[ get a response by then, I probably didn't get your e-mail ]
[ (we have a sometimes sporadic connection to the internet) ]

"My way of joking is to tell the truth; it's the funniest joke in the world."
   - ???