Subject: Multiple pp configurations

From: Shawn Asmussen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 14:20:17 -0500 (CDT)

I use my debian machine for connecting to the internet via ppp,
however I also want to set it up to use the ppp access at work (We're
behind a firewall at work, so I can't just connect to my ISP and telnet to
work.) I can configure it for either way, but it seems kind of unwieldy to
reedit the hosts file and the resolv.conf file and etc each time I want to
log into one or the other. What's the best way to set it up so that I can
be properly configured for whichever one I want to dial into at the time.
If it makes a difference I'm using a static address both for my personal
ISP connection and a different static address assigned to me at work.

							Shawn

---

From: Gerry Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 18:40:17 -0600 (MDT)

> be properly configured for whichever one I want to dial into at the time.

There probably isn't a reason to re-edit the hosts file.  Just list all
the hosts you want in your hosts file.  As for the resolv.conf files, you
could have 2 files (resolv1, resolv2), then make 2 script files to start
your PPP connections for each ISP.  At the start of each have a line like: 

cp /etc/resolv1 /etc/resolv.conf
  or
cp /etc/resolv2 /etc/resolv.conf

However, you may want to try just putting both nameservers into a single
resolv.conf and just trying that.  I have a similar situation and both
providers' nameservers seem to provide name service no matter which
provider I'm connected to.  If one will not provide service when you're
connected to the other ISP, and that namerserver is the first one listed
in resolv.conf, then the first will time out and the second will kick in. 
But this will be quite slow. 

Gerry