Subject: Re: X with an ET4000/W32 PCI card

From: Syrus Nemat-Nasser <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 23:39:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 11 Jun 1996, Carlo U. Segre wrote:

> I have been helping out a colleague with a Linux installation on a Cyrix 
> 5x86 system on a combination PCI/VLB motherboard.  Everything works fine 
> except for X.  We have tried running the ET4000/W32 server and the SVGA 
> server as per the README.W32.  No Luck!  Basically, the symptoms are that 
> the video is placed in some funny mode where nothing is visible on the 
> screen even though the X-server has exitted.  It is hard to judge blindly 
> whether the machine is in reality back at a virtual console (Ctrl-Alt-Del 
> works for rebooting).  No matter what attempts to switch video modes are 
> made, the card is stuck in this funny mode.  This happens for both the 
> W32-specific driver ans the SVGA driver.  

The limitations of XFREE86 3.1.2 for the ET4000/W32 cards are known.  I got
rid of the card I had at work (traded it for a S3 with a friend at work
who doesn't use Linux on his PC).  I've read in the linux.x newsgroup that
the 3.1.2D Beta server works somewhat better.  For me, it wasn't worth the
time I was spending trying to get rid of the blank screen problem.

Cheers.  Syrus.

----------------------------------------------------------
Syrus Nemat-Nasser <[email-masked]>    UCSD Physics Dept.

---

From: "Carlo U. Segre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 23:18:03 -0500 (CDT)

Hello all:

Any suggestions?  We are reluctant to throw away this video card but the 
frustration level is rising.

Carlo

    ***********************************************************************
    *                            Carlo U. Segre                           *
    *      Department of Biological, Chemical and Physical Sciences       *
    *        Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL 60616          *
    *   Voice: (312) 567-3498                      FAX: (312) 567-3494    *
    *                      [email-masked]                      *
    ***********************************************************************