Subject: routing problem solved

From: Rick Hawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 10:12:19 CDT

OK, i've got it.  but i think this means i've found a bug, or at least
something that needs fixing.

Under the beta releases with 1.3.9x, the following file is created:

#!      /bin/sh
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add 127.0.0.1
IPADDR=129.186.31.38
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=129.186.31.38
BROADCAST=129.186.31.255
GATEWAY=129.186.31.254
ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
route add -net ${NETWORK}
route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

these last two lines simply aren't working with the variable names.  I
added 

route add -net 129.186.31.0
route add -net default gw 129.186.31.254 metric 1

explicitly naming the devices, and it works fine.

Also, the original file continues to work under the old kernel; this
seems to be a difference between the kernels.

SO who do i report this to?

rick

---

From: Gerry Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 13:46:03 -0600 (MDT)

> these last two lines simply aren't working with the variable names.  I

The reason the last "route add -net ${NETWORK}" is not working is that it
is expecting a network address (ending in .0) and it is getting a host
address instead.  In the above example, change the "NETWORK=129.186.31.38" 
line to "NETWORK=129.186.31.0" and things should work.  If this is indeed
getting created this way by a Debian script, it needs to be changed
immediately.  I don't think 0.93 had this bug, so perhaps people 
upgrading from that release won't experience this problem.

Gerry
[email-masked]

---

From: Rick Hawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 15:13:37 CDT

> upgrading from that release won't experience this problem.

i'll swap this in and see what happens.

This was created by the debian script of June 22 . . .