Subject: Ok where are the disks?

From: "' ALLAN W. BART" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 09:12:06 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

Now i would like to install debian, so where do i get the system ?

allan

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Jun 1996 15:14:06 +0200

>>>>> On Sun, 16 Jun 1996 09:12:06 -0400 (EDT), "' ALLAN W. BART"
>>>>> <[email-masked]> said:

  Allan> Now i would like to install debian, so where do i get the
  Allan> system ?

You get all of this from ftp.debian.org, or one of its mirrors (the
message listing the mirrors will be printed when you connect to the
site).  Debian needs a boot disk, a root disk, and three base disks.
Everything else is installed from a local disk partition, or an NFS
mounted partition, or from CD, or via FTP (for this you will need
dpkg-ftp which I think is in the tools directory).

On the WWW site there is a document explaining the installation
process.

hth,
kai
-- 
Life is hard and then you die.

---

From: Rick Hawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 1996 13:23:28 CDT

> site).  Debian needs a boot disk, a root disk, and three base disks.

or you can use just the first two files, and the base1_1.tgz file, which
must be in either / or an immediate subdirectory.  IE, if you will keep
a dos partition, leave the file in c:\, and mount c:\ as /dos (or whatever)

> dpkg-ftp which I think is in the tools directory).

you no longer need dpkg-ftp; it (or at least enough of it) is included
in the 5 disks/ 2disks+file.

(note:  for versions prior to tomorrows, there are about 5 missing
files, so it doesn't work unless you install perl, or add these five
files.  I manually added them, confirmed that worked, and Bruce is
adding them.)