Subject: sysklogd problems

From: Richard Lovison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 22:21:53 -0400 (EDT)

I just discovered that my system logging utilities stopped functioning two
days ago after I did some upgrades.  I attempted to reinstall sysklogd
1.3-6 but received the following error message:

warning: /etc/init.d/sysklogd doesn't exist during rc.d setup.  Error
processing sysklogd

I don't recall all the packages I upgraded but sysvinit comes to mind.  I
also purged the old syslogd from the system when I installed dpkg 1.2.6.
Any ideas on this one?

TIA, ---Richard

---

From: Richard Lovison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 10:09:59 -0400 (EDT)

> warning: /etc/init.d/sysklogd doesn't exist during rc.d setup.  Error
I managed to solve my own problem. :)  I extracted the files from
the sysklogd package into a "work" directory and then copied the sysklogd
file to /etc/init.d.  I was then able to reinstall the sysklogd package
and have the logging utilities working once again.  I am still not sure
how the original /etc/init.d/sysklogd disappeared---maybe when I purged
the old version of syslogd. ---Richard