Subject: Debian-1.1 "Packages" file sync problem

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Perens)
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 96 09:28 PDT

I ran a Packages file update yesterday but it apparently did not complete.
I am running one now.

	Bruce

---

From: David Gaudine <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 96 12:36 EDT

> I ran a Packages file update yesterday but it apparently did not complete.

That should be a pretty popular download.  What worries me is whether
the market is going to be flooded with CDROMs with bad Packages files.
With Slackware that always seems to be a problem; the moment a new
release is announced everyone wants to be the first to release a CD,
without waiting a few days for last-minute fixes.

---

From: Kai Grossjohann <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Jun 1996 19:40:04 +0200

>>>>> On Wed, 19 Jun 96 09:28 PDT, [email-masked] (Bruce Perens)
>>>>> said:

  Bruce> I ran a Packages file update yesterday but it apparently did
  Bruce> not complete.  I am running one now.

I suggest throwing away the Packages thingy completely and always
telling dselect to update its info based on the actual contents of the
directory.  People have been hit too often by that problem, I think.

Whatcha all think?
kai
-- 
Life is hard and then you die.

---

From: David Gaudine <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 96 13:49 EDT

> directory.  People have been hit too often by that problem, I think.

This could be combined with the "update" option in deselect, or a new
"scan packages" option could be added.

I tried using "dpkg --scanpackages".  When that didn't work I tried
every variation I could think of (Scanpackages, ScanPackages, scan-packages...)
It looks like I'll have to wait for the update.

---

From: Dale Scheetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 19:24:21 -0400 (EDT)

> It looks like I'll have to wait for the update.
The script name is dpkg-scanpackages.

Dwarf

------------                                          --------------

aka   Dale Scheetz                   Phone:   1 (904) 877-0257
      Flexible Software              Fax:     NONE 
      Black Creek Critters           e-mail:  [email-masked]

------------ If you don't see what you want, just ask --------------