Subject: Apache server

From: "' ALLAN W. BART" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 23:23:17 -0400 (EDT)

hello,

i havew an old 386dx pc and i was thinking about learning about http 
servers, it has 4mb of ram and iwas wondering if it would be possible to 
use this a a learning platform?

allan

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin Schulze)
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 96 18:50 MET DST

Good day Butch!

}i havew an old 386dx pc and i was thinking about learning about http 
}servers, it has 4mb of ram and iwas wondering if it would be possible to 
}use this a a learning platform?

What speaks against this?  It'l be a little bit slow, but it should
work.  I have had a machine with 4MB running Linux, sometimes as
experimental nfs server, or experimental irc server, or http
server.  (I think think this was the last job before I lost the Linux
disk.)

But you'll be unable to install Debian on that machine, I suppose.  At
least dselect want's to have much of RAM.

Regards,

	Joey

-- 
  / Martin Schulze  *  [email-masked]  *  26129 Oldenburg /
 /                 Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only /
/          proved it correct, not tried it.  -- Donald E. Knuth /

---

From: "' ALLAN W. BART" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 18:49:47 -0400 (EDT)

I dont understand if i cant install debian then which flavor of linux 
would permit me to do the job?

allan

---

From: Rick Hawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 17:59:09 CDT

> would permit me to do the job?

"only" 4M isn't a problem; go ahead and do it.  Besides, the virtual
memory will kick in to give you more than 4 anyway . . .

but don't try to run X stuff :)

rick

---

From: "' ALLAN W. BART" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 22:28:22 -0400 (EDT)

hello,

i was wondering about alternatives to the apache server, cern ncsa and 
others and why is everyone using apache now?

allan

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim 'The Unslept' Sailer)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 10:03:48 -0400 (EDT)

> others and why is everyone using apache now?

Everyone's not! :)  Apache became popular because it was fast. I used it
for a while. For the ISP I run though, I switched to Spinner. Although
this is still beta, I have a stable version which performs better than
Apache in my configuration. The configuration method is via your browser
(like Netscape has), and doesn't need 10-15 copies of itself forked off
to maintain performance under load..

Tim

-- 
		       [email-masked]
                     "Time flies like an arrow...
                      Fruit Flies like a Banana!"
** Disclaimer: My views/comments/beliefs, as strange as they are, are my own.**