Subject: kernal-image-2.0.0-0 + stuff...

From: Andy Heroff <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 00:31:30 -0500

Okay, first off, thank you much for helping me out with the dselect probs I
was having. Mounting my D drive before running dselect worked wonders. :)

Now, while configuring stuff, I ran into about 4 packages, including
kernal-image-2.0.0-0, that complained that while running --configure or
whatever, that it couldn't find a directory or file. I included the latter
because it said in the package selection option that it was required. Is
this true? And is there any reason in particular that dpkg is having
problems finding the right directories? I know I wasn't very descriptve of
the problem, but as none of the packages are that important to me to get
installed (except for kernal-image?) I didn't write down every single
message thrown at me.

Next, I'm curious if the editor Pico is anywhere in the Debian distribution.
I use it frequently at school, and have found it fast and convenient. If
it's not anywhere in the distribution, is anyone currently working on it?

And finally, I seem to have lost the XF86Config program... I recognized it
when I was configuring one of the X11 packages, but I didn't have time to
set it up properly, so I skipped it. I found XF86Config somewhere in
/etc/<something> but it was just a symlink to a file that didn't exsist. Is
XF86Config in one of the packages, or do I have to run a configuration
script again? (If so, which one?) Thanks for any help given on the above.
---                                                                         ---
Andy Heroff <[email-masked]>                  "Remember who you are..."
Iowa State University                                                --- Mufasa
Ames, IA                                 http://www.public.iastate.edu/~aheroff

---

From: Christian Hudon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 02:15:46 -0400 (EDT)

> was having. Mounting my D drive before running dselect worked wonders. :)

Hear, hear, Ian!

> installed (except for kernal-image?) I didn't write down every single

Just guessing wildly, make sure you have /bin/perl as a symlink pointing to
/usr/bin/perl... It's a known problem with the Perl package in 1.1. There
should be a new perl package in 1.1-fixes fixing this. Or you can just make
the symlink yourself.(If you want more than wild guesses, you really must
provide more info.)

> it's not anywhere in the distribution, is anyone currently working on it?

There is a pico package. But version 3.93 is in non-free.

> And finally, I seem to have lost the XF86Config program... I recognized it
[snip]

Can't help you here, I don't use XFree86.

   Christian

---

From: Maarten Boekhold <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 12:34:41 +0200 (MET DST)

> script again? (If so, which one?) Thanks for any help given on the above.

Try the 'xf86config' program. /etc/XF86Config is your config-file, ie.
where all parameters and setting are stored.

Maarten

_______________________________________________________________________
| Maarten Boekhold, Faculty of Electrical Engineering TU Delft,   NL  |
|   [email-masked] [email-masked]   |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Dale Scheetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 13:04:42 -0400 (EDT)

> installed (except for kernal-image?) I didn't write down every single

This sounds like the perl problem: the current version of perl installs
without a necessary sym link. The simple solution is to make this link.
Try:

ls -s /usr/bin/perl /bin/perl

The install should proceed properly.

> it's not anywhere in the distribution, is anyone currently working on it?
Because of a more restictive distribution license, I was force to put
pine, imapd, and pico into the non-free section. You should be able to
find them there.

> ---           
My memory says that when you install the x stuff (xbase I think) you are
walked through a question and answer session that results in a properly
configured system. (I believe you must install at least the server package
you will need before you can install the base packages. Don't forget the
fonts.)
                                                              ---
Hope this helps,

Dwarf

------------                                          --------------

aka   Dale Scheetz                   Phone:   1 (904) 877-0257
      Flexible Software              Fax:     NONE 
      Black Creek Critters           e-mail:  [email-masked]

------------ If you don't see what you want, just ask --------------

---

From: Debian mailing list <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 15:11:18 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi!

> the symlink yourself.(If you want more than wild guesses, you really must

Of course, making a symlink is the easiest way to solve this problem, but
wouldn't it be better if the installation scripts, that depend on
/bin/perl, were changed to reference /usr/bin/perl?

IMHO, we would someone need to have perl in /bin, if it is symlinked to
/usr/bin/perl and therefore *ONLY* available, if /usr is mounted? And /bin
should only contain "Essential user command binaries".

Thanks

Chris