Subject: NFS module insertion failed

From: "Heiko R. Selber" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 17:01:36 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi there,

I have just tried to install Debian-1.1.5 which I got via ftp from
ftp.inka.de. 

I used the disk set 1996-07-14 to make the base installation. 

The problem is that I can't insert the nfs module into the kernel. Which
of course is the end of the story so far because I want to install via
nfs. 

When running insmod, I get the following error message (more or less, I
quote by heart, since the machine I'm writing this on is literally
remote): 

  installation of nfs module failed.
  symbols from Linux-2.0.6 don't match the definition from Linux-2.0.6

  nfs_mknod: can't resolve ...
  nfs_<this and that, some 10 more symbols>

For me this looks like an inconsistency in the disk set.

What do you think?

Heiko
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heiko Selber (Fritz-Haber-Institut Berlin)   | Vs lbh pna ernq guvf       |
http://www.fhi-berlin.mpg.de/~selber         | lbh unir jnfgrq lbhe gvzr. |
email: [email-masked]              | Urvxb Fryore               |
Phone:+49-30-8413-4574, Fax:+49-30-8413-4686 |____________________________|

---

From: Mr A Birdi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 18:40:06 +0100

Dear [email-masked]

>   nfs_<this and that, some 10 more symbols>

This topic has been in the list lately. Until a new version of the
kernel image package is available, you have two options.

1) Recompile the kernel using the kernel-source package.
2) Use my without-any-promises recompiled package which has a working
nfs.o module in it. This package is in 

   ftp.mcc.ac.uk:/pub/linux/distributions

and is called 

   kernel-image-2.0.6-custom-1.0.i386.deb

The problem appears to be with the nfs.o module which does not match
the kernel!

Alvin

-- 
    -------------------------------------------------------------
   | Alvin Birdi                    Email: [email-masked] |
   | School of Economic Studies     Tel: 0161 275-4791           |
   | University of Manchester       Fax: 0161 275-4812           |
   | Manchester M13 9PL  UK                                      |
    -------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Christoph Lameter)
Date: 14 Aug 1996 16:57:05 -0700

Again: Why is the broken installation disk not taken off ftp.debian.org? This
is a very ugly trap to run into as a newbie.

: This topic has been in the list lately. Until a new version of the
: kernel image package is available, you have two options.
: 
: 1) Recompile the kernel using the kernel-source package.
Which you probably cannot do unless you have installed the debian firstd.

: 2) Use my without-any-promises recompiled package which has a working
: nfs.o module in it. This package is in 
: 
:    ftp.mcc.ac.uk:/pub/linux/distributions
: 
: and is called 
: 
:    kernel-image-2.0.6-custom-1.0.i386.deb
Good! Shall I set up a webpage with current debian fixes?