Subject: Re: color ls

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 96 11:48 EDT

Dirk> > color-ls was removed here when I installed fileutils-3.13-1.
                                                               ^^^^^^

  Michael> Strange. On my site it wasn't.

  Robert> same here. i installed fileutils-3.12-4. the color-ls package still
	                                   ^^^^^^
  Robert> remains and wasn't removed

Sure, 3.12-4 is not 3.13-{1,2}. Try a newer version of fileutils.

--
Dirk Eddelb"uttel                             http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 96 15:35 EDT

Guy>  I will add that `--color' is equivalent to `--color=yes', which is
  Guy> probably not what you want.  If you make any aliases, use
  Guy> `--color=tty'.  You don't want nasty escape codes if it's not a tty.

Those are the old style options implemented by color-ls (which is a patched
version based on fileutils-3.12). The new form is, according to ls --help

[...]
      --color[=WHEN]         control whether color is used to distinguish file
                               types.  WHEN may be `never', `always', or `auto'
[...]
    By default, color is not used to distinguish types of files.  That is
    equivalent to using --color=none.  Using the --color option without the
    optional WHEN argument is equivalent to using --color=always.  With
    --color=auto, color codes are output only if standard output is connected
    to a terminal (tty).                                                   

By the way, the man page distributed with fileutils-3.13-2 still documents
the old form (ie --color={yes,tty})

  Guy> Try `ls --color | less' to see what I mean.

That would now be 'ls --color=always | less' and is why --color=auto is a
better choice.

  Guy> And fileutils does have a bug with regards to color-ls.  It should
  Guy> conflict and replace with it so that it will be removed automatically.
  Guy> I'll file a report.

Yes, please add that it has Pre-Depends: and not Depends:, and that the
manpage needs an update.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 96 08:35 EDT

Michael> I like to see that the standard ls is now colorized. But I wonder
  Michael> why the old one isn't removed automatically? Is there a reason for
  Michael> this?

  Wichert>  Some monitors make text unreadable (cheap laptops for example)
  Wichert> when you use colors. Maybe a postinst-script could ask if color-ls
  Wichert> should be the new default, move ls to ls-normal and make ls a link
  Wichert> to color-ls.

Don't worry. It is one and the same binary, bin/ls, which has no color as the
default. You have use the --color option to enable color.

---

From: Adrenolin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 11:27:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, Michael Meskes wrote:

> > color-ls was removed here when I installed fileutils-3.13-1.
> 
> Strange. On my site it wasn't.
> 
> Michael
> 
same here. i installed fileutils-3.12-4. the color-ls package still
remains and wasn't removed

	/---------------------------------------------------------\
	|   	        Robert "Adrenolin" MacQuarrie             |
	|		     [email-masked]                  | 
	|=========================================================|
	|     ProvisioNet Distributions at New Jersey Branch      |
	|	   Email: [email-masked]           |
	\---------------------------------------------------------/

---

From: Guy Maor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 11:43:12 -0500 (CDT)

I will add that `--color' is equivalent to `--color=yes', which is
probably not what you want.  If you make any aliases, use
`--color=tty'.  You don't want nasty escape codes if it's not a tty.

Try `ls --color | less' to see what I mean.

And fileutils does have a bug with regards to color-ls.  It should
conflict and replace with it so that it will be removed automatically.
I'll file a report.

Guy

---

From: Michael Meskes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 10:37:00 +0200 (MET DST)

[email-masked] writes:
> Oh yes, it was aliased to do that. Just start the dircolors (the old one from
> the color-ls package, that is) from the shell and you'll see.

I like to see that the standard ls is now colorized. But I wonder why the
old one isn't removed automatically? Is there a reason for this?

dpkg -L color-ls leaves me with:

/.
/usr
/usr/bin
/usr/bin/color-ls
/usr/man
/usr/man/man1
/usr/man/man1/color-ls.1
/usr/doc
/usr/doc/copyright
/usr/doc/copyright/color-ls
/usr/doc/color-ls
/usr/doc/color-ls/color-ls.log
/usr/doc/color-ls/color-ls.README
/etc
/etc/DIR_COLORS

Michael
-- 
Michael Meskes                   |    _____ ________ __  ____
[email-masked] |   / ___// ____/ // / / __ \___  __________
[email-masked]                  |   \__ \/ /_  / // /_/ /_/ / _ \/ ___/ ___/
[email-masked]                |  ___/ / __/ /__  __/\__, /  __/ /  (__  )
Use Debian Linux!		 | /____/_/      /_/  /____/\___/_/  /____/

---

From: Michael Meskes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 10:38:49 +0200 (MET DST)

[email-masked] writes:
> Erick, is there a way that you can persuade/hack dircolors to do what the old
> one did? Or put a note in the package to ease transition?

Not only that. Shouldn't we add /etc/DIR_COLORS into fileutils?

Michael

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 96 08:20 EDT

Dirk> Oh yes, it was aliased to do that. Just start the dircolors (the old
  Dirk> one from the color-ls package, that is) from the shell and you'll
  Dirk> see.

edd@miles:~> dpkg -l color-ls fileutils
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
| Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name            Version        Description
+++-===============-==============-============================================
pn  color-ls        <none>         (no description available)
ii  fileutils       3.13-2         GNU file management utilities.

---

From: [email-masked] (Wichert Akkerman)
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 14:24:17 +0200 (MDT)

> old one isn't removed automatically? Is there a reason for this?

Some monitors make text unreadable (cheap laptops for example) when you use
colors. Maybe a postinst-script could ask if color-ls should be the new
default, move ls to ls-normal and make ls a link to color-ls.

Wichert.

---

From: Michael Meskes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 14:25:55 +0200 (MET DST)

> default, move ls to ls-normal and make ls a link to color-ls.

I do not understand the problem. If you're monitor doesn't like the colors
why don't you simply not call dircolors? Then the new ls doesn't have colors
at all.

Michael

---

From: Michael Meskes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 14:23:43 +0200 (MET DST)

Michael

---

From: Michael Meskes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 10:37:26 +0200 (MET DST)

> Sure, 3.12-4 is not 3.13-{1,2}. Try a newer version of fileutils.

Sorry Dirk but

147) dpkg -s fileutils
Package: fileutils
Essential: yes
Status: install ok installed
Priority: required
Section: base
Maintainer: Erick Branderhorst <[email-masked]>
Version: 3.13-2
         ^^^^^^
Replaces: color-ls
Pre-Depends: libc5 (>= 5.2.18-9)
Description: GNU file management utilities.
 The utilities: chgrp chmod chown cp dd df dir dircolors du install ln
 ls mkdir mkfifo mknod mv rm rmdir sync touch vdir.

Michael

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 96 09:01 EDT

Dirk>  Sure, 3.12-4 is not 3.13-{1,2}. Try a newer version of fileutils.

  Michael> Sorry Dirk but

I never said that _you_ were using 3.12. Robert said he did, and I was only
pointing out that wasn't the right one to begin with.

---

From: Adrenolin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 20:59:05 -0400 (EDT)

> pointing out that wasn't the right one to begin with. 
hmm ok well i have checked 5 sites now and fileutils-3.12-4.deb IS the
newer version. if i am wrong about this please tell where there is a newer
version.

---

From: Christian Hudon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 18:00:14 -0700 (PDT)

>  ls mkdir mkfifo mknod mv rm rmdir sync touch vdir.

Shouldn't it both conflict and replace color-ls, so that color-ls gets
completely overwritten when the new fileutils it replaced? Otherwise stuff
like /usr/doc/copyright/color-ls (for instance) won't get removed... And
dpkg -l will still show a color-ls package.

  Christian

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 96 21:12 EDT

Robert> hmm ok well i have checked 5 sites now and fileutils-3.12-4.deb IS
  Robert> the newer version. if i am wrong about this please tell where there
  Robert> is a newer version.

You have to look in the "rex" aka "development" aka "unstable" tree, not in
"Debian-1.1-fixed" aka "Debian-1.1.3" aka "buzz-fixed" aka "stable". You'll
find fileutils-3.13-2 in the base section.

Maybe wait a few days until fileutils-3.13-3 gets moved in which Erick
uploaded this morning to the developers site.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 09:00:17 +0200 (MET DST)

> newer version. if i am wrong about this please tell where there is a newer

Check unstable for 3.13-3, if not found try a few days later.

Erick

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 08:59:27 +0200 (MET DST)

> dpkg -l will still show a color-ls package.

done in 3.13-3

Erick