Subject: make-kpkg...and other things...

From: Jeff Mickey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 16:13:51 -0500 (CDT)

Im haveing module problums.....SIGH....I installed 1.1..kernel 
2.0.0..since this is going on my thinkpad 500..4Megs of memory...i built 
myself a real lean kernel....:).

...........................well in the "old" way..make 
clean,dep,zImage.modules,module_install....and got

................................. "insmod:Loading 
failed! the module symbols (from linux-2.0.0) don't match your 
linux-2.0.0"

..............so i hack about a bit..and i find "debian.rules"...AH 
Ha!..."./debian.rules kernel_image"...12 hours later i have a 
kernel."stuff".deb file...i install and configure..reboot and.....

insmod: unregister_8022_client undefind
insmod: unregister_snap_client undefind
insmod: unregister_8022tr_client undefind
insmod: register_8022tr_client undefind
insmod: make_EII_client undefind
insmod: make_8023_client undefind
insmod: destroy_8023_client undefind
insmod: destroy_EII_client undefind

insmod:Loadingfailed! the module symbols (from linux-2.0.0) don't match your 
linux-2.0.0

modprobe: can't locate module net-pf-5

	I had a look through the messages i had saved from the list,and came 
up with "make-kpkg kernel_image"..which seems not to be on my 
system.....nether find nor a serch through the relivent files seem to 
reveale it. 
	I have clearly missed somthing...help.
jeff

---

From: Manoj Srivastava <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Aug 1996 02:00:52 -0400

Hi,

	I'm not sure why the module problems exist (I only had those
 problems with old modules lying around), but I can explain the
 make-kpkg stuff.

	Older versions of what is now called kernel-package used to be
 part of the kernel-source package (I think that kernel-source
 packages continue to be released with the kernel-package package
 built in for historical reasons).  The older kernel-{source,package}
 packages did not contain the make-kpkg command.

	The kernel-package package is designed to work with bare
 kernel sources, so you could update your sources ny backing up and
 removind debian* stuff from your kernel sources tree, and installing
 kernel-package_2.03 (which provides make-kpkg).

	Unfortunately, I can't guarantee that the newer kernel-package
 will build a kernel that would not be problematic, since I don't
 understand what is causing it (I think that ./debian.rule
 kernel_image should have produced a kernel that worked).  

	I hope this helps.

	manoj
>>"Jeff" == Jeff Mickey <[email-masked]> writes:

Jeff> Im haveing module problums.....SIGH....I installed 1.1..kernel
Jeff> 2.0.0..since this is going on my thinkpad 500..4Megs of
Jeff> memory...i built myself a real lean kernel....:).

Jeff> ..............so i hack about a bit..and i find
Jeff> "debian.rules"...AH Ha!..."./debian.rules kernel_image"...12
Jeff> hours later i have a kernel."stuff".deb file...i install and
Jeff> configure..reboot and.....

Jeff> I had a look through the messages i had saved from the list,and
Jeff> came up with "make-kpkg kernel_image"..which seems not to be on
Jeff> my system.....nether find nor a serch through the relivent files
Jeff> seem to reveale it.  I have clearly missed somthing...help. jeff

-- 
 If something's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well.
Manoj Srivastava               Systems Research Programmer, Project Pilgrim,
Phone: (413) 545-3918               A143B Lederle Graduate Research Center,
Fax:   (413) 545-3203         University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003
<[email-masked]> <URL:http://www.pilgrim.umass.edu/%7Esrivasta/>

---

From: Jeff Mickey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 08:32:39 -0500 (CDT)

On 12 Aug 1996, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

	Hello..

>  problems with old modules lying around), but I can explain the

	It seems to be that the kernel was looking for..as mr. Perens has 
pointed out..8093.o..as i *thaught* i had removed the network cards from 
the kernel, infavor of pcmcia, i suspect a slip of the configuration on my 
part.

>  kernel-package_2.03 (which provides make-kpkg).

	Ok..im running 1.1 "out of the box" as it were..so kernel 2.0.0.. im 
not shure of the minor numbers...but what was on the ftp site in late 
july...
	Ill look for make-kpkg when i update my kernel in the future...
thanks	

>  kernel_image should have produced a kernel that worked).  

	I think it did exactly as i told it..:)...ill go hunting it later 
today..for now it is solved by explicitly loading 8390.o....

> 	I hope this helps.

	It did...thank you vary much..
jeff