Subject: floppy set

From: [email-masked] (Tim 'The Unslept' Sailer)
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 23:15:45 -0400 (EDT)

Is there a way with a 2 floppy set, to get a basic linux kernel
booted up and to 'see' any of the compiled-in ether cards, and 
detecting any PCMCIA cards? I think this is too big to fit on the
2nd floppy...

Tim

-- 
 (work) [email-masked] / (home) [email-masked] - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
			"You mind if I smoke?"
   Joan D'Arc
** Disclaimer: My views/comments/beliefs, as strange as they are, are my own.**

---

From: Mark Eichin <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Aug 1996 20:36:06 -0400

The way I've found to do a PCMCIA install most easily was 8 floppies:
	2: standard boot+root
	3: base.tgz 3 disk set
	3: pcmcia-2.3.18_2.0.7.deb, then dpkg --split kernel-image_2.0.7

You can probably fit the last 3 onto 2, the pcmcia code is small and
kernel-image is only a little bit larger than one floppy.  I could
only find the kernel-image_2.0.7 on master.debian.org in Incoming,
though, which implies that it should show up *somewhere* soon but may
be hard to find in the meantime.  (You don't need special support for
pcmcia network cards in the kernel -- the pcmcia package ships with
the appropriate new modules (and everyone uses the 8390 anyway :-))

As for compiled-in ether cards: look in the "special-kernels"
directory with the boot disks for alternate boot disks; I don't know
if there is documentation other than the config files there to tell
you which one you want.

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim 'The Unslept' Sailer)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 10:35:45 -0400 (EDT)

> if there is documentation other than the config files there to tell

OK... what I'm trying to do is have a 2 disk set that will give me
a # prompt, and be able to see and configure just about any of the
common ethernet cards out there. This means the shared libs ( I guess)
and a bunch of other bins. I don't think this will fit onto the 2nd
floppy. 

Tim

-- 
 (work) [email-masked] / (home) [email-masked] - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
       "It is a damned poor mind indeed that can't think of at
		least two ways of spelling any word."
   Andrew Jackson
** Disclaimer: My views/comments/beliefs, as strange as they are, are my own.**