Subject: ldso package and perl

From: Douglas Bates <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 96 09:17 CDT

When using dselect to install several upgraded packages today I
suddenly started receiving error messages from perl.  Here is part of
the transcript.
 ...
 Preparing to replace ldso (using .../base/ldso_1.8.2-1.deb) ...
 Unpacking replacement ldso ...
 Preparing to replace modules (using .../base/modules_2.0.0-8.deb) ...
 perl: can't load library 'libdl.so.1'
 perl: can't load library 'libdl.so.1'
 ...

Running /sbin/ldconfig -p indicates that the required library is there.

 bash$ /sbin/ldconfig -p
 50 libs found in cache `/etc/ld.so.cache' (version 1.7.0)
	  1 - ELF libvgagl.so.1 => /usr/lib/libvgagl.so.1.2.8
         ...
	 28 - ELF libdl.so.1 => /lib/libdl.so.1.7.14
         ...

The installation eventually finished and now I can run perl again.
Three packages (linux-util, gcc, and another that I forget) did not
install correctly.  On the second time an installation was attempted
it was successful for these three.

Is it possible that I need to clean up from other packages for which
the post.inst scripts did not run when perl was temporarily
unavailable?

---

From: [email-masked] (David Engel)
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 13:41:54 -0500 (CDT)

> suddenly started receiving error messages from perl.  Here is part of

This due to a packaging problem in ldso.  It will be fixed in a few
days.

David
-- 
David Engel                        Optical Data Systems, Inc.
[email-masked]                      1101 E. Arapaho Road
(214) 234-6400                     Richardson, TX  75081