Subject: Consensus about /bin/perl.

From: Rob Browning <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Aug 1996 11:17:20 -0500

So what was the decision about /bin/perl, and the packages that depend
on it right now (kernel-*, etc).  Should it be a symlink, or should
these packages just be fixed?

Just wanted to know so know whether or not I should create the link or
patch the scripts on my systems.

Thanks
--
Rob

---

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Quinlan)
Date: 08 Aug 1996 20:21:21 -0400

> patch the scripts on my systems.

The Linux FSSTND 1.2 clearly says:

    /usr/bin/perl, /usr/bin/python, and /usr/bin/tcl should reference
    the perl, python, and tcl shell interpreters, respectively.  They
    may be symlinks to the physical location of the shell interpreters.

It would make sense to have scripts access it where you can expect it.
FSSTND compliant Perl scripts would definitely use /usr/bin/perl.

Dan
-- 
Daniel Quinlan <[email-masked]> / Member of the LPF
http://www.bucknell.edu/~quinlan      / http://www.lpf.org

---

From: Christian Hudon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 20:08:27 -0700 (PDT)

> these packages just be fixed?

In a nutshell, all perl scripts should use /usr/bin/perl, *not* /bin/perl.

  Christian

---

From: Ian Jackson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 96 00:31 BST

> these packages just be fixed?

Both.

> patch the scripts on my systems.

Create the link - it's the quickest short-term fix.  The scripts will
be updated later, and Perl will come with the link.

Ian.