Subject: Question about dependencies ...

From: "Richard G. Roberto" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 08:54:07 -0400 (EDT)

Hi!

I tried dselect's ftp method last night for the first time.
It's pretty nice.  However, I tried to install the mosaic
package and I got a dependency error.  Mosaic needs libpng
and zlib1.  I have libgr installed.  Although libgr does not
conflict with these two other packages, they conflict with
it.  As libgr provides the functionality of zlib and libpng,
I guess these should conflict, but shouldn't this be mutual?
I mean shouldn't libgr conflict with zlib1 and ligpng?
Also, couldn't there be a couple of virtual packages that
these could provide (mutually exlisive) that things like
mosaic could depend on instead of depending on the actuall
packages?  I'm not sure that libgr is a fully functional
replacement for zlib1 and libpng, I'm just guessing.  But
I'd sure like to know what to do to get mosaic installed
without having to force the depencies.

Thanks in advance.

Richard G. Roberto
[email-masked]
201-739-2886 - whippany, nj

--
*******************************************************************************
Bear Stearns is not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, offer or
agreement or any information about any transaction, customer account or account
activity contained in this communication.
*******************************************************************************

---

From: Guy Maor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 12:21:23 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Richard G. Roberto wrote:

> it.

libgr is an obsolete package.  Its functionality is replaced by
libtiff, zlib1, libpng, and a few others.

Guy