Subject: duplicate gs and gsfonts

From: "Carlo U. Segre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 12:44:04 -0500 (CDT)

Hello All:

It appears that there is a duplication of gs and gsfonts in the Debian 
tree.  The 2.62-2 versions of both packages appear in the 
/stable/binary/text and /unstable/binary/text directories but the 3.53-3 
version of gsfonts and the 4.0-1 version of gs appear in the 
/non-free/binary directory.  There is a problem with the latter item 
since gs version 4.0-1 requires the 4.0-1 version of gsfonts, which is 
not available.

When dselect finds this kind of arrangement it uses the highest version 
number and therefore tries to install the packages which are in the 
non-free part of the tree, with unfortunate results.  It might be a good 
idea to rename the packages to distinguish the normal copylefted versions in 
the stable and unstable directories from the versions in the non-free.  
This could be done in much the same way as for tk40 and tk41 and 
conflicts could be established so the two would not be loaded together.

Cheers,

Carlo

    ***********************************************************************
    *                            Carlo U. Segre                           *
    *      Department of Biological, Chemical and Physical Sciences       *
    *        Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL 60616          *
    *   Voice: (312) 567-3498                      FAX: (312) 567-3494    *
    *                      [email-masked]                      *
    ***********************************************************************