Subject: MBONE crashes

From: fabrizio carraro <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 12:10:09 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

in case some MBONE maniac is out there...

I've just modified the 2.0.6 kernel for multicast support, and I started
mrouted ver 3.8. It looked fine, and we manage to establish a "tunnel"
with another remote machine connected with the rest of MBONE. But every
time I start vat or nv on a machine in the same local network where the
Linux mrouted runs, the Linux box crashes leaving a lot of messages in
/var/log/messages, starting with: 

Aug  9 10:59:28 smallLinux kernel: general protection: 0000
Aug  9 10:59:28 smallLinux kernel: CPU:    0
Aug  9 10:59:28 smallLinux kernel: EIP:    0010:[<00143c9b>]
Aug  9 10:59:28 smallLinux kernel: EFLAGS: 00010202
...
Aug  9 10:59:28 smallLinux kernel: Aiee, killing interrupt handler
Aug  9 10:59:28 smallLinux kernel: kfree of non-kmalloced memory:
...

Can somebody help me?

fabrizio

---

From: "Susan G. Kleinmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 1996 09:36:35 -0400

Hi --
I searched DejaNews for "mbone & linux" and got many "hits".  
Rather than repeat all of them here, I think it would be better if you
repeated the search yourself and picked the responses that are most
relevant to you.  The upshot seems to be that there were multicast 
problems in kernels preceding 2.0.8.
HTH,
Susan Kleinmann

---

From: "James D. Freels" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 96 12:44 EDT

>Aug  9 10:59:28 smallLinux kernel: kfree of non-kmalloced memory:
Wow! This sounds interesting.  I had been thinking about installing
MBONE on my Linux box.  If you get this to work, will you consider
creating a .deb?

There is a group, and a particular leader of that group, that are into
MBONE, and I believe have installed MBONE on Linux.

Please see hi home page and contact directly if you are interested.

see

http://www.epm.ornl.gov:80/~dunigan/

Keep up the good work...

-- 
/------------------------------------------------------------------\
| James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D.  | Phone:  (423)576-8645  |   | L |
| Oak Ridge National Laboratory   | FAX:    (423)574-9172  | H | I |
| Research Reactors Division      | Internet: [email-masked] | F | N |
| P. O. Box 2008                  | Reactor Technology     | I | U |
| Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37831-6392 | world's best neutrons! | R | X |
|------------------------------------------------------------------|
| out the 10Base-T, through the router, down the T1, over the      |
| leased line, off the bridge, past the firewall...nothing but Net |
\------------------------------------------------------------------/