Subject: IPX and loopback

From: Pablo Bianucci <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 14:20:36 -0300 (ARST)

Hi!

Why does kerneld load the IPX module while the localhost's loopback
interface is being set up? (ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1)
I see no need to it... stracing ifconfig shows that it makes an IPX call
(and also an AX.25 and some other calls). This didn't happened with and
old Slackware based installation, and, altough harmless (the module gets
cleanly unloaded) annoys me a bit.
Any ideas?

Bye & Good Luck!

Pablo B.

---

From: Dominik Kubla <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 15:42:43 +0200

Hello Pablo,

> cleanly unloaded) annoys me a bit.

This on is easy: ifconfig checks for the supported protocol families.
That's what is triggering kerneld.  ifconfig should be fixed to check
just for availability of IP since it can not handle either IPX or
AppleTalk.

Dominik