Subject: re: X11 and LaTeX minimal install

From: Joshua Stockwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 07:15:47 -0400

Different people maintain different packages. One of the main
strengths of debian is that there is an "expert" who is in control of
a package. A minimal X installation is quite large. It would be very
unfair to expect someone(who donates their time) to be able to
maintain such complex programs as xdm, fvwm, and and several xservers
all at once.

	-Josh Stockwell

>>> A minimal X (and LaTeX) installation requires several debian packages,
>>> but most people either do not want X or want at least a minimal
>>> installation, right?  So what are the justifications of splitting a
>>> minimal X and LaTeX the way it is?
>>> 
>>> Thanks.
>>> Billy C.-M. Chow          [email-masked]          Debian Linux

---

From: [email-masked] (Ninoles, Fabien: DGSE)
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 12:13:37 -0400

<SNAP ON>

 ----------
From:  salwen[SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:  Wednesday, August 21, 1996 1:23 AM
To:  billy.chow
Cc:  debian-user
Subject:  Re: X11 and LaTeX minimal install

>minimal X and LaTeX the way it is?

The developers may have their own reasons for breaking up the packages
but I can suggest a couple.

If people are pulling the packages over a phone line there is an   
advantage to
limitting the size of individual packages.  That way they can hang up the
phone periodically.  Also, if a bug shows up that needs to be fixed they
only have to download the package that is broken.

Nathan

<SNAP OFF>

And what about Floppy Installation like myself !
I can install most of the debian package with single floppy
(1.44M although :) and only have to split few ones...

It can be a good thing if you can set a more pratical multiple
floppy installation scheme for those who needs space to install...
But I think you already discuss about it! :)