Subject: Re: help getting X and openwin to work?

From: "Jim Worthington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 16:15:29 -0400

> I really prefer running openwin, so I created the directory
> /usr/openwin and copied all the stuff from my Slackware system over
> to there (bin, lib, etc.)  I can get openwin to start, display the

As a Sun workstation user, I also prefer running openwin.  I was under the
impression that this product was owned by Sun and not available for other
platforms but I heard that some Linux distributions provided it (Redhat). 
I've looked on the internet for openwin, but could never find anything. 
Where can I find a version that will run under Debian? - something that is
easily transportable.   Can we expect to see a Debian distribution of
openwin anytime soon?

Jim  <[email-masked]>

---

From: Sven Rudolph <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 00:04:50 +0200

> platforms but I heard that some Linux distributions provided it

A long story ...

OpenLook is a user interface specification, looking like what Sun
offered years ago (pre-X11 times) as SunView.

XView is an implementation of the SunView API (with enhancements) and
looks very much like OpenLook. In order to say that it looks like
OpenLook you need a licence from Sun, this seems to cost money.

XView is available under a BSD-style licence. The XView distribution
includes the library and some client programs, the most advanced are
texttool and cmdtool.

OpenWindows is the whole toolset as offered by Sun. This includes
XView and more client programs (filetool, some calender and
others). It isn't freely available.

(Mistakes are mine ...)
 
> I've looked on the internet for openwin, but could never find

You should have looked for XView, since OpenWindows isn't freely
available.

> Where can I find a version that will run under Debian?

On ftp.debian.org, but you have to wait some days. I will upload xview
including the XView-included client programs next week. 

	Sven
-- 
Sven Rudolph <[email-masked]> ; WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/