Subject: new to debian; some questions

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 15:59:53 -0400 (EDT)

I'm switching over to debian from red hat. I've not used it much yet,
just a quick install to get the feel of it, but I do have some questions.

Is there shadow password support for debian yet? (Or PAM?)

Does debian use the "user groups" system that redhat uses, that makes each
user be in a group containing only themselves, so the umask can be set to
002? I see in /etc/group that each user does get placed in their own
group. But I see in /etc/profile that the umask is set to 022.. Can I
change that to 002 safely? 

Does dpkg have any way to verify a package? If anyone's familiar with rpm
-V, that's what I'm looking for.. something that can list what files in a
package have been modified since it was installed. I think I'm out of
luck here :-( 

-- 
#!/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj -RSA-3-lines-PERL-
$/=unpack('H*',$_);$_=`echo 16dio\U$k"SK$/SM$n\EsN0p[lN*1#     Joey Hess
lK[d2%Sa2/d0$^Ixp"|dc`;s/\W//g;$_=pack('H*',/((..)*)$/)  # [email-masked]
      "How appropriate, you fight like a cow." - - Guybrush Threepwood

---

From: [email-masked] (J.H.M.Dassen)
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 13:32:19 +0200 (MDT)

> Is there shadow password support for debian yet? (Or PAM?)

Yes. There is an experimental shadow package, and a libpam has
recently been uploaded (expect it to be visible in a few days).

> group.

If you want to, you can change this behaviour. (USERHOMES var in 
/etc/adduser.conf)

> package have been modified since it was installed. I think I'm out of

dpkg does know about "configuration files" per package. If you've modified
them, and upgrade to a package with a new version of that config file,
dpkg will prompt you to choose between keeping your current file, or
switching to the new default.
You can do "dpkg -s <package>" to list its conffiles.
E.g. adduser has /etc/adduser.conf as a conffile.

Hope this helps,
Ray
-- 
Obsig: developing a new sig

---

From: Ian Jackson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 96 17:59 BST

Joey Hess writes ("new to debian; some questions"):
...
> change that to 002 safely? 

Yes, you can, but adduser will edit it when it installs people's
.profile's anyway.

Ian.

---

From: Michael Meskes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 18:45:08 +0200 (MET DST)

> Is there shadow password support for debian yet? (Or PAM?)

shadow is under project/experimental. libpam was uploaded a few days ago.

Michael

-- 
Michael Meskes                   |    _____ ________ __  ____
[email-masked] |   / ___// ____/ // / / __ \___  __________
[email-masked]                  |   \__ \/ /_  / // /_/ /_/ / _ \/ ___/ ___/
[email-masked]                |  ___/ / __/ /__  __/\__, /  __/ /  (__  )
Use Debian Linux!                | /____/_/      /_/  /____/\___/_/  /____/