Subject: Solved: mouse problem (running both gpm and X)

From: Mark Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 00:04:30 +1000

Hi - just a little note to say that I solved the problem with getting
X to work with gpm still running.

You may recall I posted, complaining that I had to kill gpm before I
could get X to run.  I solved the problem by changing the mouse device
over to /dev/ttyS0 (whereas before it was /dev/cua0).  Now things work
fine!

Am I right in thinking that the cua devices are now obsolete and that
ttyS devices are the way to go?

Mark.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ervin D. Walter)
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 21:22:42 -0500

> ttyS devices are the way to go?

This is sort of right.  /dev/cuaxxx are in most cases the wrong choice
because they implement kernel level locking.  What was happening was
that once one process (gpm) opens /dev/cua0, the kernel does not allow
another process (X) to use the same device.  The /dev/ttySxx are
specifically not designed this way.  They are designed with the idea
that intelligent programs will take care of their own locking (which
gpm and X do nicely) so more than one program can share the same
devices.

Erv

-- 
                                ____
----==-- _                     / /  \         
---==---(_)__  __ ____  __    / / /\ \	                  - Erv Walter
--==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /   / /_/\ \ \             - [email-masked]
-=====/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\  /______\ \ \   - [email-masked]
   http://www.linux.org     \_________\/

---

From: Rob Browning <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Aug 1996 21:27:38 -0500

> ttyS devices are the way to go?

That's what I was told.  I found that switching solved my modem
problems.

--
Rob

---

From: "Charles A. Schuman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 21:16:29 -0500 (CDT)

> ttyS devices are the way to go?

I can't get my logitech serial mouse to work under X on any of the three
machines where I've attempted to use X.

Should I "ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/mouse" if my serial mouse is connected to
the first serial port?

Charles

---

From: "Susan G. Kleinmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 06:12:41 -0400

Hi Charles --

> Should I "ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/mouse" if my serial mouse is connected to

That ought to work.  

I also have a Logitech serial mouse.  I have the link you mention,
and this is my Pointer section in /etc/X11/XF86Config:

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "MouseMan"
    Device      "/dev/mouse"

HTH,
Susan Kleinmann

---

From: Shaya Potter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 09:48:03 -0400 (EDT)

> gpm and X do nicely) so more than one program can share the same

Supposdly that should be true, but it seems for some reason, on my 
system, ttyS's also get locked and the only way I can get gpm and X to 
work is to run gpm and gpm -R and point X to /dev/gpmdata and call it a 
MouseSystems mouse.

Shaya
--
Shaya Potter
[email-masked]