Subject: Re: module cdu31a fails on insert

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Perens)
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 96 11:10 PDT

From: [email-masked]
> Things go OK until I try to add the cdu31a module to support the CDU33A CDROM
> drive in the Gateway: it fails to insert.
> The drive is defaulted onto 0x340; when I try to add a parameter to the module
> insertion it either fails the same way or gives me an invalid parameter
> message.

Use the argument "cdu31a_port=0x340" when you install the module. It also
understands "cdu31a_irx=N".

	Bruce
--
       Clinton isn't perfect, but I like him a lot more than Dole.
            Please register to vote, and vote for Democrats.
Bruce Perens AB6YM          [email-masked]            http://www.hams.com/

---

From: [email-masked] (renald loignon)
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 18:12:01 -0400 (EDT)

>understands "cdu31a_irx=N".

May I ask, in all seriousness, and without a trace of sarcasm, where in the
world (BUT preferably in the Debian installation instructions) one is
expected to find this information?  I was used to the old
"cdu31a=0xPORT,IRQ" syntax from the boot prompt, or as an "append=..." line
in /etc/lilo.conf....

---

From: [email-masked] (renald loignon)
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 01:12:41 -0400 (EDT)

>Susan:
>> I'm getting confused.  Isn't the purpose of /usr/lib/module_help/arguments
>> to document the arguments that can be given to a module when it is
>> activated?

>I don't think the cdu31a information is in there - we must have missed
>it when we created modconf. Also, not everyone uses modconf, which is the
>only thing that displays the module_help files.
>
>We don't have a person who follows the kernel and keeps an accurate list
>of module arguments. Also, Lars took on "modconf" when I had too much to
>do, but he was less than enthusiastic about it. We could use another
>volunteer to be the module mayven.

I hear you Bruce.  I most certainly do not wish to put down the fine efforts
that you and the rest of the Debian group are putting in.  Also, I consider
it quite likely that I will eventually get involved (again) in some
non-profit group or other having to do with computer software and/or the
Internet. (In fact, "been there, done that", if you will give some
consideration to some 5 years of involvement in Fidonet at many levels).
Honesty, whether I join the Linux camp or another will depend on the success
of my current efforts to bootstrap myself into this community.

For now, most of my on-line interactions are done with Eudora for Windows
(email), Free Agent (news) , WsFTP and Netscape for Windows.  Thus, as a
example of obstacle to my progression, I cannot easily grab a set of
HTMLized FAQs from the Net for local perusal because they use long
filenames.  Also, I am constrained to getting the msdos-i386 branch of the
distribution sites, even though dselect seems to be somewhat reluctant to
use these DOS filenames...  And if I start seriously considering the
purchase of a CD copy of the distribution, to give dselect the long
filenames it prefers, I have to face a non-documented module argument...

<taking on the whining voice of Gilda Radner's Roseanne Roseannadanna>

"When it's not one thing, it's another..."   ;-)))

Hey, don't let me spoil your fun.  Whenever I point out a flaw in the Debian
distribution, I do it in the spirit of providing useful feedback, and with
no malice whatsoever.  Consider it my first level of contribution to your
fine work.  Hopefully, in the fullness of time I will feel confident and
knowledgeable enough to participate in more significant ways.  In the
meantime, I'm still here, so despite my setbacks, I haven't given up....

Regards,

renald

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Perens)
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 96 23:38 PDT

Lars:
> Ilucius ([email-masked]) took it from me
From: llucius <[email-masked]>
> Yep, your right.  I neglected to inform anyone.  (face red in shame)  
> I've been playing around with this architecture independence stuff that I 
> COMPLETELY forgot about it.

Leland, of course I'm happy to get any work you do on this now. You
are also one of the lead programmers on the 68k port, and you are a lead
programmer on the issue of architecture independence for Debian.
One of our problems is that a few key volunteers do a _lot_ of stuff,
and tasks should be distributed better so that those key people can continue
to have lives and health :-) So I won't frown if you eventually find someone
else to take on the job of tracking modules.

	Thanks

	Bruce