Subject: libtiff?

From: "Larry 'Daffy' Daffner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 02:29:46 -0500

Trying to install libtiff3-gif says it depends on libtiff3, but the
dependency listing says libtiff3 doesn't appear to be available.
What's the deal here and how can I fix it?

-Larry

--
  Larry Daffner        |  Linux: Unleash the workstation in your PC!
  [email-masked] / http://web2.airmail.net/vizzie/
	Technology is a way of organizing the universe so that man
	doesn't have to experience it.  --Max Frisch

---

From: "Susan G. Kleinmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 14:17:12 -0400

Hi Larry --

> What's the deal here and how can I fix it?

This means that the list of available packages in dselect's memory does
not include libtiff3.  I believe you can fix this by executing

dpkg --update-avail <Packages file>

where the last argument is the full path name to a recent Packages
file on your file system (or on a remote system if you're using dpkg-ftp),

or you can use dselect, and choose the Access method again.  This will
cause dselect to run off and re-read the Packages file again.

HTH,
Susan Kleinmann

---

From: "Larry 'Daffy' Daffner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 19:50:40 -0500

Well, it would seem that the problem is that the libtiff package is
not in the released version, only the unstable.  So installing the
stable version sort of failed to find the libtiff package :)

Thanks for the response tho :)

-Larry

--
  Larry Daffner        |  Linux: Unleash the workstation in your PC!
  [email-masked] / http://web2.airmail.net/vizzie/
It is important to keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall
out.  --Stephen A. Kallis, Jr.