Subject: System.map

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 96 18:08:52 PDT

I've compiled custom kernels that weren't part of any debian
distribution yet (2.0.7 patched with aic7xxx fixes).  In
/var/adm/messages there's a complaint that the booting kernel couldn't
read the map.  Checking old /var/adm/messages, it appears that what's
wanted is the file System.map which appears to be in the directory
where I built the kernel.

How should I set things up so this file is found?  Also, how serious
is it when it's not found?

A third question.  I noticed a file called "debian-rules" in  the
source directory for one of the distribution kernels.  Should I use
this to make a debian-style installation of my custom kernel, or only
if I want to make a particular custom kernel into a debian package?
If I should use it, what extra files (besides kernel-2.x.x.tar.gz) do
I need?

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Danny Heap, UCSF, 3333 California St., Room 102, SF CA, 94122
[email-masked], voice:	(415) 476-8910, fax: (415) 476-1508
--------------------------------------------------------------------