Subject: procps 1.01a-1 problems

From: Hakan Ardo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 15:42:05 +0200

Hi,
I tested to install procps 1.01a-1, but after that all I get out of ps is:

ps: can't load library 'libproc.so.1.01a'

The libriry I have is libproc.so.0.99, which package contains the new version,
and shouldn't the dependency infomation in procps have told me that?

---

From: "Susan G. Kleinmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 15:03:21 -0400

Hi Hakan --

> and shouldn't the dependency infomation in procps have told me that?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "tested to install".  It looks like
you failed to install the version of procps which is in the unstable 
(a.k.a. rex) tree, but instead have installed on your system the version
of procps which comes in the stable (a.k.a. buzz-fixed) tree.

Exactly what happened when you tried to install 
    /rex/binary/base/procps_1.01a-1.deb ?

And what do you see now when you execute
    dpkg -l "procps"

Susan Kleinmann

---

From: Hakan Ardo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 22:37:46 +0200

>     /rex/binary/base/procps_1.01a-1.deb ?

Well, it seemed to work just fine. What I ment by "tested to install" was that
I afterwards reinstalled to older version form the stable distrobution, 
because it did not work.
> And what do you see now when you execute

hmm, when I now tried to reinstalle the unstable version to recreate the 
porblem, ps works just fine! Sorry to bather you, I must have made some
foolish mistake.

---

From: "Carlo U. Segre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 19:29:31 -0500 (CDT)

> and shouldn't the dependency infomation in procps have told me that?

I had the same problem and it went away after reinstalling the procps 
package by hand.  I think that the library is in the package itself.

HTH

Carlo

    ***********************************************************************
    *                            Carlo U. Segre                           *
    *      Department of Biological, Chemical and Physical Sciences       *
    *        Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL 60616          *
    *   Voice: (312) 567-3498                      FAX: (312) 567-3494    *
    *                      [email-masked]                      *
    ***********************************************************************

---

From: Michael Meskes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 21:37:05 +0200 (MET DST)

> ps: can't load library 'libproc.so.1.01a'

This is a bug in the postinst. I don't know if it has been reported yet.
Will check that.

You should be able to work around it simply by installing it once again.

Michael

-- 
Michael Meskes                   |    _____ ________ __  ____
[email-masked] |   / ___// ____/ // / / __ \___  __________
[email-masked]                  |   \__ \/ /_  / // /_/ /_/ / _ \/ ___/ ___/
[email-masked]                |  ___/ / __/ /__  __/\__, /  __/ /  (__  )
Use Debian Linux!                | /____/_/      /_/  /____/\___/_/  /____/