Subject: Kernel headers

From: [email-masked] (Miroslav Ruda)
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 11:32:24 GMT

I'm really mazy from kernel headres in Debian distribution. I have installed
libc5, kernel_source and kernel_headers and I have 3 different headers!

I think old Slackware idea (/usr/include/{linux,asm,net} are links to 
/usr/src/linux/include/{linux,asm,net}) is more better. I can simly upgrade 
kernel_source and not yet libc5 to have same version of kernel headers.

Is any reason why not to use this schema in Debian too?

-- 
                                     Mirek Ruda

---

From: Rob Browning <[email-masked]>
Date: 22 Aug 1996 16:47:25 -0500

> Is any reason why not to use this schema in Debian too?

Read /usr/doc/libc5/FAQ.gz

--
Rob

---

From: [email-masked] (Heiko Schlittermann)
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 08:07:32 +0200 (MET DST)

Miroslav Ruda wrote:
: 
: I think old Slackware idea (/usr/include/{linux,asm,net} are links to 
: /usr/src/linux/include/{linux,asm,net}) is more better. I can simly upgrade 
: kernel_source and not yet libc5 to have same version of kernel headers.
: 
: Is any reason why not to use this schema in Debian too?

libc5 is compiled with e.g. the 2.0.0 headers.  So it's absolutly
correct to use these headers for `user' development.

For kernel development you'd probably need the most current headers as
found in /usr/src/linux/include/linux ...

Some weeks ago I'd a similar question like you, but now I think, the
current solution is the most approbiate.

    Heiko
--
email : [email-masked] [email-masked] [email-masked]
pgp   : A1 7D F6 7B 69 73 48 35  E1 DE 21 A7 A8 9A 77 92 
finger: [email-masked]         [email-masked]