Subject: Non debian packages

From: Pablo Bianucci <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 14:27:45 -0300 (ARST)

Hi!

I've upgraded to Debian 1.1 two days ago and have some doubts...

I used to have installed lots of packages I couldn't find in a debianized
form (fetchpop, ImageMagick, and lots more). I see several alternatives,
but I'd like a recommendation...

 1) Wait till somebody releases a debianized package (I don't think this
will be the best, though)

 2) Install everything as it comes under /usr/local, and keep the mess
confined there. (A last resort, isn't it?)

 3) Make an attempt to 'debianize' the packages, installing them under
/usr/local with dpkg (my 'own debianization', in fact).

 4) Try to debianize the packages in a FSSTND compliant way, to
eventually install them with dpkg. (I'd need a spare year... <g>)

Of those four, I like best the 3rd, but I've got to learn how to make a
good debianized package (I've already updated to lynx 2.5 and xwpe 1.4.2,
byt that was just a matter of 'manual diffing')
  
Any recommendations?

Bye & Good Luck!

Pablo B.

---

From: Ian Jackson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 96 19:56 BST

Pablo Bianucci writes ("Non debian packages"):
...
> /usr/local with dpkg (my 'own debianization', in fact).

If you use dpkg it's perfectly acceptable to put the files in /usr,
rather than /usr/local.

Ian.