Subject: Re: Novell-Internet question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 01:14:36 -0400

>Let's say I have a server with one of Micorsoft operating systems, let's say
>Windows NT, that is connected to the internet directly and a lot of other
>machines connected to this server via a Novell net. Now one of these
>machines is a Linux box. Is it possible to use the Linux box as if it were on
>the internet, too? That is can I e.g. telnet from this machine or send mail?
>If so what software do I need? The ipx package?

It seems to me the question you need to be asking is does the server
route IP frames.  You will not get to the internet by adding IPX to the
linux unless you do a remote login to the server.  (Which so far as I
know is not possible with Novell.)

---

From: Gerry Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 10:33:34 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 31 Jul 1996, Michael Meskes wrote:

> Gerry Jensen writes:
> > This is a problem for your NT machine, not the Linux machine.  If you have
> > a valid Internet IP address for the Linux machine, then the NT machine
> > needs to be set up to act as a router for the rest of your LAN and then
> > the Linux machine would be on the Internet.  Or, if you don't have a valid
> > IP address for the Linux machine, then you need to set up the NT machine
> > to act as a firewall and a proxy server.  I'm not familiar at all with NT
> > to know what software is available or included with that OS to do either
> > of these.
> 
> So it doesn't matter whether it's a Novell net or anything else?

Correct.  A Novell (IPX) network and a TCP/IP network can co-exist on the
same physical network.

Gerry