Subject: Do you use SLIP or a variant with Debian?

From: Mike Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 12:47:57 -0400 (EDT)

If so, I'd appreciate a short note from you.  I'd like to know if you
use SLIP because PPP is unavailable, more expensive, or otherwise
inconvenient.

Thanks
Mike

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 18:58:56 -0400 (EDT)

>use SLIP because PPP is unavailable, more expensive, or otherwise
Yes, I do.  At home I use SLIP (slattach) to connect two other machines
(both running MiniLinux :) to my Debian box.  Also, I do use SLIP to 
access our network at work.  Actually I use both for that, but since some
of the terminal servers I have there do not support PPP I use SLIP.  The
only real advantage I see with PPP is its a bit simpler to configure as far
as the provider of the connection is concerned.  The protocol does the
work, for the most part.  Not so with SLIP.  For the uses I make of it the
authentication is not an issue, nor is the support of protocols other than
tcp/ip.  So I use SLIP.  As for the Debian box, the changes with PPP and
its implementation on Linux over the past two years have been a little
difficult at times, but once its working, its fine.  The real advantages it
offers over SLIP are not very important if you don't need or use them.
Performance wise, there's little difference.

Paul

---

From: Mark Eichin <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Aug 1996 22:25:40 -0400

I use SLIP because I have been using it for years and would need to
reconfigure things to use ppp.  Also, SLIP is easy to set up: you set
five parameters, and it works -- with PPP, it only really needs one
(the phone number) but if it doesn't work, the debugging problem is
harder.  (SLIP is also more available on unix systems - I run older
systems too, and some of them don't have PPP.)