Subject: gcc can't find termcap library

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 96 17:55:27 PDT

I recently installed Debian 1.1, including termcap.compat.  Since then
I've installed a custom version of the kernel (2.0.7) successfully, so
I figure that gcc is reasonably well set up.

However, I tried to compile kermit 5A(190) and the make failed,
complaining that it couldn't find -ltermcap.

There is definitely a file of the form /lib/libtermcap.so.?, but I
guess gcc is looking for a *.a file.

How should I go about fixing this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Danny Heap, UCSF, 3333 California St., Room 102, SF CA, 94122
[email-masked], voice:	(415) 476-8910, fax: (415) 476-1508
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Gilbert Ramirez)
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 22:55:52 -0500 (CDT)

> guess gcc is looking for a *.a file.

Are you sure? Perhaps it's looking for /lib/libtermcap.so   
(without the '.?' extension)

> How should I go about fixing this?

If so, use ln -s

--gilbert
______________________________________________________________________
Gilbert Ramirez Jr.                     [email-masked]
University of Texas                     http://merece.uthscsa.edu/gram
Health Science Center at San Antonio    University Health System

---

From: [email-masked] (David Engel)
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 10:13:25 -0500 (CDT)

> complaining that it couldn't find -ltermcap.

The Debian termcap package is only intended for run-time use to allow
old and non-Debian programs compiled with termcap to work.  Any new
programs should be compiled with ncurses.

> How should I go about fixing this?

You should convert the source and/or Makefile to use ncurses.

David
-- 
David Engel                        Optical Data Systems, Inc.
[email-masked]                      1101 E. Arapaho Road
(214) 234-6400                     Richardson, TX  75081

---

From: "Larry 'Daffy' Daffner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 00:23:10 -0500

David Engel writes:
-> [email-masked] writes:
-> > I recently installed Debian 1.1, including termcap.compat.  Since then
-> > I've installed a custom version of the kernel (2.0.7) successfully, so
-> > I figure that gcc is reasonably well set up.
-> > 
-> > However, I tried to compile kermit 5A(190) and the make failed,
-> > complaining that it couldn't find -ltermcap.
-> 
-> The Debian termcap package is only intended for run-time use to allow
-> old and non-Debian programs compiled with termcap to work.  Any new
-> programs should be compiled with ncurses.

This is not necessarily always possible. The one case I know about is
when a program uses "varargs" instead of the newere, ANSI-standard
"stdarg".  Since the ncurses headers include stdarg, any program which
uses varargs (nn is the example I can think of offhand) will not work
with ncurses.

Although, I agree that when possible ncurses' termcap emulation should
be used, since the old termcap/curses libraries are considered
somewhat obsolete.

-> > There is definitely a file of the form /lib/libtermcap.so.?, but I
-> > guess gcc is looking for a *.a file.
-> > 
-> > How should I go about fixing this?
-> 
-> You should convert the source and/or Makefile to use ncurses.

Or, if that's not possible, make a symbolic link in /lib libtermcap.so
-> libtermcap.2.0.8

-Larry

--
  Larry Daffner        |  Linux: Unleash the workstation in your PC!
  [email-masked] / http://web2.airmail.net/vizzie/
C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot.  C++ makes it harder, but
  when you do, it blows away your whole leg.  -- Bjarne Stroustrup on C++