Subject: Re: EXT2-fs warning (device 16:0n)...

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Perens)
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 96 12:10 PDT

> The first question is this: which device are 16:02 and 16:01 ?
> I looked in /dev searching for devices whith major number 16 but
> I didn't found any. Shouldn't hda and hdc correspond to major 3 and 22 ?

The message is in hex (which is probably a mistake). It's hdc2 and hdc1.

> I've tryed to e2fsck /dev/hdc2 (thinking that device 16:02 corresponds
> to /dev/hdc2) and it found a lot of errors, but it seemed that e2fsck
> was able to correct them all; after rebooting similar messages appeared
> again after some hours.

> Any clue about this? 

Any random core dumps? This is going to sound stupid, but check for bad RAM.
Any bad block (I/O error) messages?

	Bruce

---

From: Luca Maranzano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 09:07:58 +0200 (MET DST)

> Any bad block (I/O error) messages?

Not at all, I've recompiled several times the kernel (even under X) and
all went fine, so I *think* it shouldn't be a RAM related issue. 

I've reformatted /dev/hdc2 yesterday with the -c option and all
was good, and today the same message has appeared again, besides some
files has been lost. How can I investigate further in the problem
in your opinion?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Luca.

---

From: "Carlo U. Segre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 13:01:27 -0500 (CDT)

> files has been lost. How can I investigate further in the problem

Luca:

I have had similar problems on a Triton 430FX motherboard.  The errors 
seemed to go away once I forced the IDE interface to use a more 
conservative setting than it would normally choose automatically.  I 
suspect that my problem was because one disk was older and less capable 
than the other disk.  The interface chose the MODE 3 of the more recent 
disk and since the 430FX chipset cannot handle different modes for two 
disks on the same interface, the second disk which should have been set 
to MODE 2 (and was detected as such by the BIOS) was causing problems.

As I said, this seems to have fixed the problems so far (I am keeping my 
fingers crossed!)

Carlo

    ***********************************************************************
    *                            Carlo U. Segre                           *
    *      Department of Biological, Chemical and Physical Sciences       *
    *        Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL 60616          *
    *   Voice: (312) 567-3498                      FAX: (312) 567-3494    *
    *                      [email-masked]                      *
    ***********************************************************************