Subject: Re: XServer for ET4000/W32p hangs!!

From: Stuart Lamble <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 15:45:23 +1000 (EST)

Syrus Nemat-Nasser wrote:
: On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Mark Phillips wrote:
: 
: > Hi,
: > 
: > I have a friend who I am trying to help install debian 1.1.  He has an
: > ET4000/W32p graphics card.  I installed the appropriate server, went
[snipped]
: 
: There are many problems with the ET4000/W32 cards.  You can try a beta
: version from XFREE or try my solution--replace the card with one that
: works under the present XFREE86 distribution.

To clarify the situation: 3.1.2 had a few problems that caused them to
not work with ET4000/W32 revisions A or B. (I have a revision A at home,
FWIW.) These bugs have been fixed, and 3.1.2E works fine on my home
system.

I would suggest that you install 3.1.2, but not configure it, from the
debian packages; move it to another directory (or tar it up), and replace
it with the 3.1.2E distribution from ftp.xfree86.org or its mirrors. This
should rectify the situation.

-- 
Windows is not the answer. Windows is the question. Linux is the answer.
http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/ for all your PC software requirements.

---

From: [email-masked] (Digge � �)
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 13:05:27 PST

Hey everyone,

Ught.. Ummmm... Ohhh...

Heh, I  have a problem.
I got a virus on my Windows partition ( And YES I did scan it first with
norton ).
But After I debugged, and fixed as much as I could, everything looked
good...
But now on boot up - LILO dosent show... It just boots into win - blows (
oops, I meant Wondows ;). Is there some string or sommand I enter in
somewhere ? any advice ?
( Please take in mind I have only had Linux for about 3 weeks ).

Aron 
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (J.H.M.Dassen)
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 13:50:55 +0200 (MDT)

> oops, I meant Wondows ;).

Hmm. Looks like something (the virus, windows95 during a reinstall or perhaps
your anti-virus software) overwrote your master boot record.

> Is there some string or sommand I enter in
> somewhere ? any advice ?

Here's what should work:
- Get or remake the Debian boot disk (first disk of the 6-set) 
  using rawrite.
- Boot with that disk. On the lilo prompt, press tab and say
  Linux root=/dev/hda4 ro
  (presuming /dev/hda4 == 4th partition on first drive) is your Linux
  root partition.
- Linux should boot more or less normal now. Log in, and rerun "lilo".
 
Hope this helps,
Ray   
-- 
UNFAIR  Term applied to advantages enjoyed by other people which we tried 
to cheat them out of and didn't manage. See also DISHONESTY, SNEAKY, 
UNDERHAND and JUST LUCKY I GUESS.     
- The Hipcrime Vocab by Chad C. Mulligan

---

From: Mark Eichin <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 Aug 1996 12:41:27 -0400

note that some anti-virus software will decide that lilo *is* a boot
sector virus :-) so you may want to just give up and use loadlin...

---

From: Shaya Potter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 09:48:18 -0400 (EDT)

> ( Please take in mind I have only had Linux for about 3 weeks ).
Lilo probably got erased from the boot sector of your hard disk when you 
disinfected it.  Reinstall lilo from the base disks and you should be fine.

Hope this helps,

Shaya
--
Shaya Potter
[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Karafotis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 07:48:45 -0500 (CDT)

Well .. a common feature of most virus tools (Norton) is to clean up the
boot block .. it looks like your boot block got swiped.  Best thing to do
is get a boot disk .. if you don't have one .. download one from a linux
ftp site .. my guess is any version will do the trick.  Mount your hard
drive and rerun lilo.

I know these probably aren't the best directions .. but it has been a while
since I used lilo.

-- Michael