Subject: /dev/psaux problems

From: Robert Resendes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 20:37:42 -0400

Hello All,

   I finally got around to upgrading my 93R6 syatem upto 1.1.5 (at least
that's what the I-Connect CD says). The X11 install went fine (used a saved
copy of XF86Config) until I try to start X. It complains that it can't open
the mouse which is set to /dev/psaux. This files exists and has the right
permissions, major and minor numbers:

> ls -al /dev/psaux
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys       10,   1 Dec 31  1969 /dev/psaux

   If I try to "cat" the file, though, I get the following error:

> cat /dev/psaux
cat: /dev/psaux: No such device

   I think I'm missing a driver, but I certainly don't see anything
resembling "PS/2 mouse driver" during the "Configure Drivers" portion of the
install. I would have expected this to be built into the Standard kernel
(which is the one I selected). Does anyone know what I'm missing and how to
install it?

Thanks in advance,

Bob
----------------------------------------
[email-masked]

---

From: Mike Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 23:36:21 -0400 (EDT)

> cat: /dev/psaux: No such device
I don't think cat works here because /dev/psaux is not a regular file.

> (which is the one I selected). Does anyone know what I'm missing and how to

I beleive that Bruce has posted that this was omitted by mistake.  One
solution (although maybe not the best or easiest) is to complie a
kernel yourself.

Mike

---

From: "David C. Winters" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 14:34:38 -0400 (EDT)

> I don't think cat works here because /dev/psaux is not a regular file.

	No, IMHO this error in this instance results from the /dev/psaux
file not existing.  cat'ting an existing /dev/psaux file gives you a
screenful of unreadable gibberish, but it gives you SOMETHING if the file
exists.

David [email-masked]
Office: 3503 WeH, x86720
MTFBWY

---

From: Amos Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 23:26:41 +0300

David Winters <[email-masked]> wrote:
|> On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Robert Resendes wrote:
|> >    If I try to "cat" the file, though, I get the following error:
|> > > cat /dev/psaux
|> > cat: /dev/psaux: No such device
|
|On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Mike Taylor wrote:
|> I don't think cat works here because /dev/psaux is not a regular file.
|
|	No, IMHO this error in this instance results from the /dev/psaux
|file not existing.  cat'ting an existing /dev/psaux file gives you a
|screenful of unreadable gibberish, but it gives you SOMETHING if the file
|exists.

You usually get this error when the device driver for this device
isn't compiled into the kernel (or no loadable module for it was
found?).

If the file didn't exist at all then you would have recieved a "No
such file or directory" error (otherwise, how would cat(1) know that
it is supposed to be a device? :-)

Try looking at your kernel's configuration and see if you have psaux
there.

Cheers,

--Amos

--Amos Shapira                    | "Of course Australia was marked for
133 Shlomo Ben-Yosef st.          |  glory, for its people had been chosen
Jerusalem 93 805                  |  by the finest judges in England."
ISRAEL             [email-masked] |                     -- Anonymous