Subject: Installation disk kernel decompression failure.

From: "Christopher R. Hertel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 17:02:37 -0500

We're still trying to resolve the kernel decompression failure problem,
and we need some help:

  * from anyone who has experienced this problem on their system
  * from someone who can do a small amount of assembler coding

The problem:
  On some systems, when attempting to boot from the installation boot
  disk (boot1440.bin, etc), the kernel fails to decompress following
  the 'boot: ' prompt.  This is usually solved by turning off the
  internal cache via the bios.

One possible solution:

  On Aug 27,  2:40pm, Bruce Perens wrote:
  > Subject: Re: Kernel decompression failure.
  : I know what the next test should be, but I have not had time to
look
  : up the appropriate instruction and code it up. Nor am I any sort of
  : expert on 486 assembler.
  : In /usr/src/linux-2.0.14/arch/i386/boot/setup.S, the cache must be
  : invalidated before and after the "lmsw    ax" instruction.
  >-- End of excerpt from Bruce Perens

Please let me know if you can help us out.

Chris -)-----

-- 
Christopher R. Hertel -)-----                   University of Minnesota
[email-masked]              Networking and Telecommunications Services