Subject: X11 and LaTeX minimal install

From: Billy Chow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 96 17:04:24 BST

Dear debianers,

A minimal X (and LaTeX) installation requires several debian packages,
but most people either do not want X or want at least a minimal
installation, right?  So what are the justifications of splitting a
minimal X and LaTeX the way it is?

Thanks.

-- 
Billy C.-M. Chow          [email-masked]          Debian Linux

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 01:23:34 -0400

>minimal X and LaTeX the way it is?

The developers may have their own reasons for breaking up the packages
but I can suggest a couple.

If people are pulling the packages over a phone line there is an advantage to
limitting the size of individual packages.  That way they can hang up the
phone periodically.  Also, if a bug shows up that needs to be fixed they
only have to download the package that is broken.

Nathan

---

From: [email-masked] (Erick Branderhorst)
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 10:26:43 +0100

> only have to download the package that is broken.

There is a plan to split all packages in parts of 460k if they are 460k or
bigger.  However the installation tools aren't supporting this yet.

Erick