Subject: problems with talk and ytalk

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Quinlan)
Date: 02 Aug 1996 15:37:06 -0400

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not so I'm not reporting it as one
yet.

1. Both ytalk and talk work talking on the same machine.
2. Neither ytalk nor talk will talk to other machines.
3. talk just sits (no talk request is transmitted), ytalk prints an

   find_daemon: recv() failed
   Connection refused

   sendit: recv() failed
   Connection refused

   sendit: recv() failed
   Connection refused

4. mesg has been set to `y', so that's not it.
5. I can receive talk requests from other machines, but cannot accept
   them.
6. The machines I am trying to talk to are an OSF/1 2.1 machine,
   a Solaris 2.4 machine, and a Linux box running RedHat 3.0.  The
   RedHat box also has the same problem.

Either I'm clueless or something is wrong with Linux talk.  I'm aware
of the various flavors of talk, but ytalk should be able to talk to
most of them.  Actually, Linux `talk' should be able to talk to all
common flavors of talk.

Dan
-- 
Daniel Quinlan          Member of the League for Programming Freedom
[email-masked]