Subject: dpkg-ftp or installing via FTP

From: Ricardo Kleemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 08:09:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hi guys,
 
I grabbed and installed dpkg-ftp. But I see no mention of any ftp usage
when I run dpkg --help.  Is there supposed to be a separate binary called
dpkg-ftp? Because I can't find any...
 
I'm trying to download the latest Debian distribution via FTP, but I've
had problems both with ncftp and with dftp. I was hoping dpkg-ftp would
be a better solution...
 
Another suggestion was to mirror debian. How much space is required to 
mirror? Can a mirror be partial?

Lastly, once I've gotten all that's required from FTP, is dselect a good 
method to use for performing the install?

Thanks,
Ricardo

---

From: Christian Hudon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 12:34:20 -0700 (PDT)

> dpkg-ftp? Because I can't find any...

No dpkg-ftp provides a 'ftp' method for dselect. Install dpkg-ftp, start
dselect and go in the 'Access' screen. You'll see a new installation
method called 'ftp'...

  Christian

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 96 16:10 EDT

Ricardo>  Hi guys, I grabbed and installed dpkg-ftp. But I see no mention
  Ricardo> of any ftp usage when I run dpkg --help.  Is there supposed to be
  Ricardo> a separate binary called dpkg-ftp? Because I can't find any...

It is meant to be used from within _dselect_. It gives you a new line in the
	* 0. [A]ccess      Choose the access method to use.    
menu.

  Ricardo> I'm trying to download the latest Debian distribution via FTP, but
  Ricardo> I've had problems both with ncftp and with dftp. I was hoping
  Ricardo> dpkg-ftp would be a better solution...

What's wrong with ncftp? Maybe your networking is not setup correctly.

  Ricardo> Another suggestion was to mirror debian. How much space is
  Ricardo> required to mirror? 

Depends on how many files and directories you select in the mirror parameter 
file /etc/mirror/packages/<site>

  Ricardo> Can a mirror be partial?

Sure, see the example /etc/mirror/packages/ftp.debian.org, but please not
that it was written with the old directory structure in mind.

  Ricardo> Lastly, once I've gotten all that's required from FTP, is dselect
  Ricardo> a good method to use for performing the install?

Yes.

--
Dirk Eddelb"uttel                             http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd

---

From: Andy Guy <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Aug 1996 16:30:01 -0600

> method to use for performing the install?

dpkg-ftp provides a new 'method' to dselect.  After installing
dpkg-ftp run dselect and when you choose the Access function it will
prompt for a method .... select ftp, it will then prompt for ftp
site/dir etc.  After that run Update, Select, Install etc.

Andy.