Subject: RE: mailing list

From: [email-masked] (Ninoles, Fabien: DGSE)
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 10:20:41 -0400

Two things I would like to see in the Debian Mailing Lists:
First... An added [Debian:] tag before the suggest for those
like me who receive from mush than one list.

A good thing to see is some news mecanism. Aren't time to put
Debian list on news groups? They aren't enought users? I think
that we got so more users and be more accessible if we put
almost Debian-Users on news (mostly a moderate one but we can do
without). I receive near to 50 mails by day just from this list
and it's not the only one I'm suscribed! News group will help
to keep track of which mail was already replied and will avoid
some traceback.

About other news mecanism, I was thinking about some web-news
service such the one from O'Really. I'm not really good in doing
CGI but I can try to do something (or let this to someone else)
if you're interested.

 ----------
From:  Mike& Candy List[SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:  Tuesday, August 27, 1996 6:09 PM
To:  debian-user
Subject:  mailing list

I don't want to complain too much, especially since group members have
been so much help,but this mail is out of control.Single messages are
totally acceptable although many, but multiple entries get very tiresome
I'm willing to tough it out (easier than figuring out this OS for this
semi literate dos user)but ........just my $.02 worth

Mike List

---

From: [email-masked] (Bernd Eckenfels)
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 17:30:22 +0200 (MET DST)

> Debian list on news groups?

linux.debian.users. Go and get the Linux Hierachy.

Greetings
Bernd

---

From: Lars Wirzenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 19:53:48 +0300

> like me who receive from mush than one list.

The mailing list software adds the following header to all
messages on this list:

	Resent-from: [email-masked]
	
This is good enough to filter this list to its own folder.
If you have heavy mail traffic, you _need_ mail filters.  They're
the only thing that lets me process up to 300 letters per day.

Mangling the subject is out of the question, as far as I'm
concerned. It isn't useful, unless you insist on not filtering
your mail.

> Debian list on news groups? 

This list exists as a newsgroup, though I'm not sure of the name
at the moment, something like

---

From: Shaya Potter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 13:24:50 -0400 (EDT)

Not everyone's news server carries the linux.* hierachy, such as mine.  
Would it be possible to instead of having linux.debian.*, have 
comp.os.linux.debian.*.  

Just wondering,

Shaya Potter
--
Shaya Potter
[email-masked]

---

From: Philippe Troin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 11:44:25 -0700

> like me who receive from mush than one list.

Why ? Use procmail or mh or whatever to split your incoming mail.
I've goit a .maildelivery file that I can share with you.

> to keep track of which mail was already replied and will avoid

Can you elaborate on that ?

> CGI but I can try to do something (or let this to someone else)

Where can we see this stuff ?
There's already the debian mailing list archives on the Debian 
homepage.

Phil.

---

From: Lars Wirzenius <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 21:58:16 +0300

> Not everyone's news server carries the linux.* hierachy, such as mine.  

You could talk your news admin into arranging a special feed for it.
(I think one of the FAQ's or HOWTO's has contact information. If not,
I vaguely remember that Yggdrasil may be involved.)

> Would it be possible to instead of having linux.debian.*, have 

You might want to read news.announce.newgroups and start an RFD.
(It's not all that difficult, but it _will_ take time, and you
_will_ be flamed, for no reason at all.) Until someone does the
RFD work, all discussion about it is rather futile.

Not that comp.os.linux.debian will solve problems with this mailing
list, since it makes no sense at all to gateway this list and a
newsgroup in the Big 8. Newsgroups attract flamers, this list is
mostly civilised.

-- 
Please read <http://www.iki.fi/liw/mail-to-lasu.html> before mailing me.
Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 14:10:42 -0500 (CDT)

> > linux.debian.users. Go and get the Linux Hierachy.

	Where would one be able to get a feed for the Linux Hierarchy?

				Mike Mattice

---

From: Bill Wohler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 12:41:39 -0700

> Would it be possible to instead of having linux.debian.*, have 

  Just ask your system admin or ISP to add the linux hierarchy.
  That's what I did, and my ISP was happy to do so.

  I agree, we should propose that the linux hierarchy be moved to
  comp.os.linux hierarchy. Any Usenet heads want to take up the torch
  and CFD?

Bill Wohler <[email-masked]>   ph: +1-415-854-1857  fax: +1-415-854-3195
Say it with MIME.  Maintainer of comp.mail.mh and news.software.nn FAQs.
If you're passed on the right, you're in the wrong lane.

---

From: [email-masked] (Christoph Lameter)
Date: 28 Aug 1996 16:06:18 -0700

Here (news.fuller.edu). We have free NNTP access worldwide to the
comp.os.linux and the linux.* hierachies.

[email-masked] wrote:
: > On Wed, 28 Aug 1996, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
: > 
: > > > A good thing to see is some news mecanism. Aren't time to put
: > > > Debian list on news groups?
: > > 
: > > linux.debian.users. Go and get the Linux Hierachy.
: > > 
: 
: 	Where would one be able to get a feed for the Linux Hierarchy?
: 
: 				Mike Mattice
: