Subject: Re: A few stupid(?) questions...

From: "Daniel Lynes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 22:14:23 +0700

On Mon, 12 Aug 1996 17:10:24 +0200, Dominik Kubla wrote:

>> 1.  The Bourne Again SHell seems to require a '.\' before the
>                                                 |
>I guess you mean "./", don't you? ---------------+

Oops. :(

>Check your PATH setting: is "." part of the search path?

Yes.  Thanks...received replies from Sasha(?) et al on this one.

>.bashrc is only loaded by non-interactive shells. Put the following at
>the top of your .bash_profile:
>
>  if [ -r $HOME/.bashrc ]
>  then
>    source $HOME/.bashrc
>  fi
>
>And .bash_aliases is not an autoloaded file too, use the same
>construct as above.

Ah...thanks.  That explains a lot. :)

---

From: "Daniel Lynes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 96 14:53:27 +0700

On Tue, 13 Aug 1996 08:31:04 -0400, Susan G. Kleinmann wrote:

>/usr/doc/fileutils.  You will see a file called "color-ls.gz" with more
>details.  Briefly, you can simply execute

Ah...that might explain why I don't get the 'ls -o' ability.  Didn't
realize
Debian just copied it in, and never bothered to install it. :)

>Also, it is a *bad* idea to execute mv's and ln's on files that have been
>installed with dselect and/or dpkg.  If you don't confuse the package
>management system, you'll confuse yourself when you try to upgrade or
>install new packages.  It is fine to manipulate files in /usr/local

Ah, ok.  I was wondering why there was a /usr/bin and a /usr/local/bin.
:)

Thanks.  This really explains a lot.  I've been using OS/2 and DOS for
long enough, that I've gotten used to just being able to install my
programs
wherever I saw fit.  (Besides, it makes it easy to confuse the hell out
of
anyone that tries to read my directory structures...it's organized for
me,
but everyone else gets lost. :))