Subject: dns

From: [email-masked] (Mahoney, Hugh M.)
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 12:51:54 -0400

I would like to set up a dns on linux.  This  name server will serve a 
private domain encompassing a wireless network.

I will very shortly have dial-in access to a ISP to provide internet 
visibility to wireless network users.

 Is it possible to configure a  private dns to resolve a name query and in 
the event the query fails  forward the query to the Internet Service 
Providers domain name server ?   Private names must be  resolved locally by 
the linux dns and never require resolution over the internet.

The private domain,  at this time is not recognized by the internet 
community and names specific to the private domain cannot be resolved.  Each 
private name would  be entered manualy into a  private dns cache.

Any suggestions ?

---

From: Paul Traina <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 18:55:28 -0700

sure, just specify:

primary	my.private.domain	file.db

and all dns lookups for my.private.domain will work.  If you're talking about
your "customers'" machines, that's a little tougher... the easiest trick is
to set them up to have cacheing DNS nameservers, and set:

forwarder 	<ip address of your nameserver>
slave		(this is the obsolete keyword, look in the docs for the new
		 keyword)

I mention using cacheing DNS servers on your customer boxes.  Since you're
on a radio network, this is a good idea.  If you can't do that, then make
sure your customers always point ONLY to nameservers that can speak
authoritatively for my.private.domain.

Paul

  From: [email-masked] (Mahoney, Hugh M.)
  Subject: dns

  

  Any suggestions ?