Subject: Unidentified subject!

From: Lan Ha <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 22:58:29 -0700

I've just upgraded my web server and also switched from Slackware to Debian
Linux.  I must admit Debian is definitely a very impressive package.

There are problems even in a wonderful land, though.  I have only one
registered hostname (one IP address for this machine).  Is it possible for
me to leave the old server running on Slackware and setup a new web site on
the new system?  Does anybody know what is the best thing to do make this
migration possible?

Many thanks,
Lan Ha
SFSU Career Center

---

From: Jim Pick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 08:18:54 -0700

> the new system?  Does anybody know what is the best thing to do make this

Assuming you have two machines, one Slackware and one Debian.  The Slackware 
one
has a staticly assigned IP address from your ISP, and the Debian one is on a 
separate subnet which is not accessable from the Internet.  If you are using an
unassigned subnet, you should use one reserved for private use by the Internet
Assigned Numbers Authority (ie. 192.168.0.0).  You can set up masquerading on
the Slackware box so that the second PC can access the Internet.  To do this,
you need to compile masquerading support into the kernel, and use ipfwadm.

But you want to set up a new web site on the new system?  Accessable from the
internet?  Well I think you can also use masquerading to make it appear that
the web server that is really on the Debian box appear to be located at
port 80 on the Slackware box.  I have never tried this though, but it looks
technically feasible.  If you want to run two web-servers, one on each machine,
you could run one on a non-standard port.

Of course, if you already have the option of using another IP address, set the
Debian machine up on that, and set the DNS to point at it for www.____.com.

Hope this helps,

 - Jim