Subject: ALPHA: pe package - periodic execution

From: Christian Schwarz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 17:27:10 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi!

I just rewrote my pe program and made a debian package. Here is what it's
for:

       pe is meant to be a simple replacement for cron(8) on sys
       tems that don't run 24 hours a day. On such  systems,  you
       can't  normally specify a certain time when a job is to be
       executed. If you use pe you don't specify a time to run  a
       command but how often the command should be executed. This
       period is given in days.

       Normally, pe is started after bootup. Since  you  probably
       don't want all your jobs running at the same time directly
       after bootup (that's the time when you normally log in and
       start  your  programs) you can specify a delay in minutes.
       pe waits this long before starting your program.

       pe has its own log files the tell it, when the  jobs  were
       executed  last  time so it always knows, which jobs it has
       to run.

       Best way of using pe is to add a cron entry that starts pe
       right  after  midnight,  so in case your system is running
       for several days, the jobs still get executed on the right
       intervall.

If this is useful for others too, I want to include it in the Debian
distribution. I just tried to upload it to ftp.debian.org, but there is a
note, that uploads should go to the /home/Debian/... directory which
doesn't exist and I didn't had permissions to enter the
/pub/debian/project/Incoming directory.

So for now I had just placed it on my web space. Every one can get it via
	http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/pe_0.2-1_all.deb
and the source is
	http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/pe_0.2-1.tar.gz

Just contact me about bugs, spelling or grammar errors, or about any
future enhancements.

It would be nice if someone can give me some hints about how it can be
included in the main distrib. Yes, I read all the FAQs/HOWTOs but they
seem pretty old and I didn't find any information.

Cheers,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz
           / o \__   [email-masked], [email-masked]
           !   ___;    
           \  /        PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
  \\\______/  !         http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/
   \          /
-.-.,---,-,-..---,-,-.,----.-.-
  "DIE ENTE BLEIBT DRAUSSEN!"

---

From: Michael Meskes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 11:07:58 +0200 (MET DST)

Christian Schwarz writes:
> ...

The site is master.debian.org anyway. If you have problems like this you
should write to debian-devel not debian.users.

> =09http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/pe_0.2-1_all.deb
> and the source is
> =09http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/pe_0.2-1.tar.gz

Unfortunately it's not possible to get them. There's a permission problem.

Michael

-- 
Michael Meskes                   |    _____ ________ __  ____
[email-masked] |   / ___// ____/ // / / __ \___  __________
[email-masked]                  |   \__ \/ /_  / // /_/ /_/ / _ \/ ___/ ___/
[email-masked]                |  ___/ / __/ /__  __/\__, /  __/ /  (__  )
Use Debian Linux!                | /____/_/      /_/  /____/\___/_/  /____/

---

From: "Susan G. Kleinmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 15:20:36 -0400

Hi Christian --
Your pe package sounds very interesting.  

>seem pretty old and I didn't find any information.

If you get any version of dpkg newer than 1.3.3, you'll find a lot of
helpful info.  Meantime, below is the same info in recipe format,
gleaned mostly from the dpkg documentation, etc.

Regards,
Susan Kleinmann

================================================================
How to Become a Debian Package Developer

In the text below, DM means "Distribution Maintainer"

They are currently:
Guy Maor <[email-masked]>
Ian Jackson <[email-masked]>

0.  Subscribe to debian-devel.
    To do this execute   
        mail [email-masked] -s Subscribe
    That is, send mail to the above address with the subject set to 'Subscribe'.

1.  Set up your pgp key.

    Install the PGP package.
    Read /usr/doc/PGP.
    Generate a public-secret key pair by typing
	pgp -kg
    and answering the questions.  Be prepared to write some arbitrary text 
    when asked.  PGP generates its true random numbers by measuring the 
    intervals between your keystrokes.

2.  Shake hands with the project administration, as it were:
    Send emails to:
        The Project Leader.  Bruce Perens 
        The Administrator of master.debian.org:  Simon Shapiro.
        The Mailing List Administrator:  Anders Chigstrom.
        The dpkg maintainer:  Ian Jackson.

        i.e., To:
        [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], \
        [email-masked]

    with this content:
    -- what you've done,
    -- who you are, 
    -- request for an account on master,
    -- request to be subscribed to debian-private (the developers-only 
       mailing list). 
    -- your PGP key, obtained by executing 'pgp -kxa'.

3.  Make the programs:  .deb, .diff, .tar.gz, .changes.
    Use these files for guidelines:  
    hello*deb (use most recent version, currently 1.3.9).
    The dpkg man pages, of which there are many as of dpkg-1.3.3.
    The documentation in /usr/doc/dpkg, including the programmers and policy
    manuals.

4.  Upload the files:
    A.  Use user-name and password to upload to:
    ftp://master.debian.org/home/Debian/ftp/private/project/Incoming

     OR
    B.  Use anon-ftp to upload to:
    ftp://chiark.chu.cam.uc.uk/

        For instructions to upload to chiark, read this file at chiark:
        /pub/debian/private/project/README.how-to-upload

    chiark then sends the files it gets to master.

==================================================================