Subject: bable won't configure

From: Shaya Potter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 12:32:25 -0400 (EDT)

I just upgraded to the newest Babel (3.6-4) and it seems to have gotten 
screwed.  It won't configure because it says it doesn't know how to 
generate manfnt.mf, and then it says it can't find manfnt.mf.  It then 
writes a huge log file to disk, which has crashed my machine already 
because it filled up the disk, so now I kill it before it writes too 
much.  
I had installed some new TeX packages right before I installed Babel, 
could that be the reason it is messed up right now.  I have included all 
the output from the configure and the end of this message in case that 
can help anyone figure out what happened.  

Thanks

Shaya
--
Shaya Potter
[email-masked]

--Output from configuration of Babel

# dpkg --configure babel
Setting up babel (3.6-4) ...
Building new format(s) with babel support using install-fmt-base(8)
Rebuilding `latex' format ... done
Rebuilding `tex' format ... kpathsea: Running MakeTeXTFM manfnt.tfm
Running MakeTeXPK manfnt.tfm
mf \mode:=nullmode; mag:=1; scrollmode; input manfnt \</dev/null
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71 (C version 6.1)

kpathsea: Running MakeTeXMF manfnt.mf
I don't know how to generate manfnt.mf!
! I can't find file `manfnt.mf'.
<*> ...=nullmode; mag:=1; scrollmode; input manfnt

Please type another input file name:
! Emergency stop.
<*> ...=nullmode; mag:=1; scrollmode; input manfnt

Transcript written on mfput.log.
Metafont failed for some reason on manfnt.tfm
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
dpkg: error processing babel (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script killed by signal (Interrupt)

---

From: "Carlo U. Segre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 00:51:07 -0500 (CDT)

> can help anyone figure out what happened.  

Ditto here, I noticed the same problem this afternoon!

    ***********************************************************************
    *                            Carlo U. Segre                           *
    *      Department of Biological, Chemical and Physical Sciences       *
    *        Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL 60616          *
    *   Voice: (312) 567-3498                      FAX: (312) 567-3494    *
    *                      [email-masked]                      *
    ***********************************************************************