Subject: Problem with Debian amd and Solaris server

From: Christian Hudon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 22:27:00 -0700 (PDT)

We're trying to automount home directories exported from a Solaris 2.5
server onto a set of Debian boxes... And we're having problems.

We got the amd maps set up correctly (I checked from another site which is
also using amd to automount home dirs). But when I start amd and try to cd
to a home dir, the 'cd' just hangs. And syslog shows amd retrying the
mount repeatedly.

The 'share' entry on the Solaris machine looks like this:

share -F nfs -o rw=debian-machine -d "home dirs" /.home.a

Has anyone got amd to work on Linux boxes with directories NFS-exported
from a Solaris 2.5 machine? Any suggestions as to stuff I could try or
place where I could go for amd-related advice? We really need this
working... Help!

Thanks in advance..

   Christian

---

From: Amos Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 05:45:03 -0700

> place where I could go for amd-related advice? We really need this

As a first step - I'll test a static mount and check the list of
exported filesystems on the Sun.  Does a simple "mount" work?
What about "showmount -e sun-machine"?  "rpcinfo -p sun-machine"?
What about logs on the sun machine?  Does it mention your Debian
box?

Another thing - as far as I remember (last time I ran amd on Linux was
about 4 years ago on Linux 0.99p?? :-), amd can be extremly verbose
if you ask it to - check the options for debugging info.

Hope this helps,

--Amos