Subject: Re: What am I doing wrong?

From: [email-masked] (Tim O'Brien)
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 15:01:32 -0500

2> Here is my diald line:
>                diald /dev/ttyS0 -m slip local 192.168.86.20 remote 10.0.2.15\
>                defaultroute modem crtscts connect "chat -f /etc/slipchat: mtu\
>                1024

I've not done this with SLIP, but I assume it's similar to PPP... Anyhow, a few
things you might check:

        1. Not to be picky, but I noticed there's no closing quotes on the
'chat' section of your diald line.. Is that supposed to be that way? May wanna
check it. 
        2. Do you have a dynamic IP address at your ISP? This was the case with
my account and was causing a problem very much like yours.
        3. Can your ISP accept a PPP connection? From what I understand, if
you do have a dynamic IP address, it can be dealt with more easily from PPP,
though
it is possible with SLIP I think.

Just my 2 cents.. Hope it helps!

Tim

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 < I am Pentium of Borg. Division is futile. You will be APPROXIMATED! > 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please direct Email to: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim O'Brien)
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 10:02:42 -0500

>Hi Tim,
>        Thanks for responding. The closing quotes is a typo. ( Sorry ). Yes
>my ISP uses dynamic IP's. The problem is the system never dials out. The

Ok, find out from your ISP if they can handle PPP. You might want to consider
PPP since by my understanding, it can negotiate a dynamic IP address with 
relative ease.

I assume you are set up to the point that you can manually connect to the
net with the Linux box, and that diald is the only problem, right? 

Try adding this to the end of your diald command line: 

        -daemon

It will appear like it's just hung and doing nothing, but don't worry. (You've
just started a daemon but not let it go into the background).

After that, use a different virtual console and log in and telnet somewhere 
that's not on the local lan. After issuing the telnet command, go back to 
the original virtual console and let me know what messages it gives. I have 
a feeling you might see something like 

Connecting 
connect: script failed
waiting 30 seconds for clear to dial 

Anyhow, let me know what happens!

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
  I am Pentium of Borg. Division is futile. You will be APPROXIMATED! 

  [email-masked]      <-- (Primary email)
  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------