Subject: Re: How do I get GATEWAY2000 PS/2 mouse to work

From: John Juergensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 09:46:31 -0500

There is a package called bin86 in the devel area which contains the 
as86 and ld86 binaries, which are necessary for kernel-compilation.
Once you have these, the compilation should proceed smoothly.

I don't know if this is properly a bug in the distribution, though, because
you don't need the x86 assembler for compiling on, say, a PowerPc.  But I
definitely agree with you that somewhere there should be a x86 README or
something that makes it easier to figure this out.

>Ideally, however, I would have liked to compile a kernel which supported 
>the PS/2 mouse, as well as some other features of the GATEWAY 2000, such 
>as APM, and use that. I downloaded and installed the kernel source 
>package from 1.1.3, configured it, and tried to make the image by doing
>	./debian.rules
>
>This did not work, however - the make failed (after the best part of an 
>hour had elapsed) when it was unable to find "as86". I could not find 
>as86 anywhere on my system, and so was stuck.
>
>Am I doing something wrong, or is it the case that the kernel-source 
>package is flawed ?
>