Subject: Re: Some initial problems

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Perens)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 96 09:04 PDT

From: Jens Peter Lindemann <[email-masked]>
> The $TERM Environment-Variable is set to "con80x25" on my system

This is a symptom of an antique kernel. Are you running Debian 0.93? Debian
1.1.4 is on our FTP site ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/stable . Did you change
the kernel in some other way?

	Thanks

	Bruce

---

From: Jens Peter Lindemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 10:54:42 +0200

> the kernel in some other way?

All my installation-disks (including boot&root) are taken from 
ftp://feivel.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/debian/Debian-1.1.4/disks-i386/

The bootdiskfile is
-r--r--r--   1 root     root      1474560 Jul 14 22:06 boot1440.bin

The kernel claims to be 2.0.6 - which can't be the kernel from debian 0.93?!

Still wondering what went wrong...

Jens Peter

---

From: Nils Rennebarth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 16:40:21 +0200 (MET DST)

>Still wondering what went wrong...
Did you install the lshell? There had been a version that scrambles the
TERM variable

Try to set the shell to /bin/bash

--
Coming again: Best quotes of the net. Today:          | Nils Rennebarth
Kristian Köhntopp <[email-masked]            | Schillerstr. 61 
>>I'd also be interested in the comparison [of Linux] | 37083 Göttingen
>>with a cisco router. I assume a factor of about ten.| ++49-551-71626
>What? faster or slower?                              | http://www.nus.
Cheaper!                                              | de/~nils