Subject: Netscape Library Error

From: [email-masked] (Eric Liu)
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 00:43:23 -0600

Hi!  This new user has another unsolved problem.  *grin*

Background: Got and installed motifnls_2.1-1.deb and
netscape_3.0-beta6-1.deb.  Got the right tar.gz file off of Netscape's
site and put it in /tmp, and the installation said that it found the
file, so I assumed everything's right.

Problem: Typing 'netscape' yields
        netscape: can't load library 'libXpm.so.4'

The installations did not complain of missing dependencies.  I can't
find the file called 'libXpm.so.4' on my root partition either.  If
someone could point out which package (or
should-have-read-documentation) I'm missing, I would much appreciate it!
Thank you in advance!

--
  Eric Liu ([email-masked]) [ENERGi http://www.ucalgary.ca/~eliu/]

---

From: Juha Ylitalo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 16:10:20 +0300 (EETDST)

>         netscape: can't load library 'libXpm.so.4'

You are probably missing xpm4.7. Its among standard packages in section
x11. FVWM* are also needing this package, so in that sense its worth of
installing.

--
Juha 'Ylis' Ylitalo	[email-masked]		<work e-mail>
     "True friendship is never serene." - Marie de Rabutin-Chantal

---

From: Juha Ylitalo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 22:11:08 +0300 (EETDST)

On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Jean Orloff wrote:

> 1) I have /usr/local/bin/netscape as a script:
> 
> #! /bin/sh
> # netscape startup script, to get around uggly config problems
> 
> XKEYSYMDB='/usr/local/lib/netscape/XKeysymDB'; export XKEYSYMDB
> XNLSPATH='/usr/local/lib/netscape/nls'; export XNLSPATH

Do those XKeysymDB and XNLSPATH really provide something useful or have
you used them only because they are provided ?

Reason for wondering this is that for sometime, I used to untar those
netscape packages and copy only netscape image to /usr/local/bin. Later I
have started to copy that java_30 to /usr/local/lib/netscape, even though
I have Java as disabled. Anyway, so far I haven't got any error messages
and I am using pretty much default Debian package (compiled FVWM '95 and
done some work on Xresources, but only for Xterm and Emacs).

--
Juha 'Ylis' Ylitalo	[email-masked]		<work e-mail>
+358 0 511 23313	http://www.helsinki.fi/~jylitalo	<public www>
     "True friendship is never serene." - Marie de Rabutin-Chantal

---

From: Jean Orloff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 15:07:20 +0200

>>>>> On Tue, 20 Aug 1996 00:43:23 -0600, [email-masked] (Eric Liu) said:

 Eric> Hi!  This new user has another unsolved problem.  *grin* Background: Got
 Eric> and installed motifnls_2.1-1.deb and netscape_3.0-beta6-1.deb.  Got the
 Eric> right tar.gz file off of Netscape's site and put it in /tmp, and the
 Eric> installation said that it found the file, so I assumed everything's
 Eric> right.

 Eric> Problem: Typing 'netscape' yields netscape: can't load library
 Eric> 'libXpm.so.4'

Get the package xpm4.7.

However, given the amount of problems seen recently on the list about Netscape,
and matching the right debian Netscape package with the right Netscape tar
file, let me tell you how I do it for myself without netscape.deb package.

#! /bin/sh

exec /usr/local/lib/netscape/netscape $*

2) I make a directory /usr/local/lib/netscape where I put the
netscape-vxxx.tar.gz file

3) cd /usr/local/lib/netscape; tar -zxf netscape-vxxx.tar.gz

That's all... When I switch to a new version, I just have to rename
/usr/local/lib/netscape to /usr/local/lib/netscape.old (or delete it if you
have faith in Netscape...) and go back to 1).  I have done it several times,
and it works smooth! Simple enough, and you don't have to rely on debian
versions to be perfectly in sync with those Netscape bastards...

Speaking of those, you can get rid of those bloody Netscape frames forever by
just issuing this as root:

perl -i.orig -pe '              \
                s/\bnoframes\b/noFrames/g;  \
                s/\bframeset\b/frameSet/g' `which netscape`

and you'll never see a frame again! (see
http://reality.sgi.com/grafica/framefree/index.html for more infos, and 
http://swissnet.ai.mit.edu/wtr/stable-user-interface.html to be convinced why
you should do that...).

---

From: "James A. Robinson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 10:38:49 -0400

> netscape_3.0-beta6-1.deb.  Got the right tar.gz file off of Netscape's

Well, you need libXpm.  Which you can get in the xpm4.7 package.
netscape should probably be fixed to depend on this package.

Jim

---

From: Michael Meskes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 18:22:30 +0200 (MET DST)

>         netscape: can't load library 'libXpm.so.4'

Install xpm4.7. That'll help.

> The installations did not complain of missing dependencies.  I can't

Should we add one here? I think so.

Michael

-- 
Michael Meskes                   |    _____ ________ __  ____
[email-masked] |   / ___// ____/ // / / __ \___  __________
[email-masked]                  |   \__ \/ /_  / // /_/ /_/ / _ \/ ___/ ___/
[email-masked]                |  ___/ / __/ /__  __/\__, /  __/ /  (__  )
Use Debian Linux!                | /____/_/      /_/  /____/\___/_/  /____/

---

From: "Brian C. White" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 10:42:14 -0400

> file, let me tell you how I do it for myself without netscape.deb package.

There are no problems.  People just have to be a little patient while
I get around to building the latest version and while Debian gets it
into their distribution.

> 3) cd /usr/local/lib/netscape; tar -zxf netscape-vxxx.tar.gz

There are a few problems with this...

1)  Java will not be functional.
2)  Debian "mime-support" will not be supported by default

                                        Brian
                               ( [email-masked] )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In theory, theory and practice are the same.  In practice, they're not.

---

From: Rick Macdonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 09:19:45 -0600 (MDT)

> you used them only because they are provided ?

The following info has been in the Netscape README file since at least
version 1.12N. It used to say "SunOS 4.1, Linux, and BSDI:", but Linux was
taken out of the title during the 3.0 beta releases. The cut and paste
error certainly occured for me back with v1.1, and was fixed by installing
the NLS stuff as indicated in the README. I haven't quoted the details of
the NLS installation.

---snip---snip---

SunOS 4.1 and BSD/386:
          These distributions also includes a directory called "nls". This
          directory is a standard part of the MIT X11R5 distribution, but
          is not included with X11R4- or X11R6-based systems (such as
          OpenWindows 3.0 or earlier, and XFree86 3.1 or later.)

          On these systems, Netscape has been linked against X11R5 (because
          Motif 1.2.4 has some bad bugs in conjunction with X11R6.)
          Unfortunately, X11R5 has one rather serious bug, which is that if
          this "nls" directory does not exist, the program will dump core
          any time you try to copy, or paste to or from a text field!

---snip---snip---

...RickM...

---

From: "Brian C. White" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 13:33:27 -0400

> the NLS stuff as indicated in the README. I haven't quoted the details of

Actually, the XKeysymDB that comes with Linux is more advanced than the
one distributed with Netscape.  Thus, pointing the env var to the one
that comes with the netscape distribution is actually a detriment.

The "nls" problem is a bit different.  If not set properly, a paste into
one of the text fields will cause netscape to crash.  Again, the "nls"
that comes with linux is fine.  Netscape just needs to know where to
find it.  By default, it look under /usr/X386/lib/X11/nls instead of
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/nls.

                                        Brian
                               ( [email-masked] )