Subject: dselect ftp through fire-wall

From: Martin Fehlhaber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 09:52:55 +0200

I sure hope this is not a FAQ...

How is it possible to use the ftp access from within dselect to reach
through a fire-wall system? Alternatives?

Thanx,
-- 
Martin Fehlhaber
[email-masked]

---

From: Shaya Potter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 09:16:30 -0400 (EDT)

It really depends on what firewall you are using.  Where I am we are 
using TIS's (the maker's of the Firewall Toolkit) Gauntlet firewall, it 
allows for transparent access if you make the firewall the default 
gateway of your computer.

However, if your firewall doesn't allow transparent access, then you need 
to do a little experiment.  When we ran the Firewall Toolkit, it required 
you to do a three step process.  
	1.  Ftp to the firewall
	2.  connect to ftp sight by typing [email-masked]
	3.  type in the needed password.

This matches up well with the normal ftp method.
	1.  Ftp to what.sight.you.want
	2.  type in username
	3.  type in password

So what might work for you is to set the ftp sight to your firewall, set 
the username to "[email-masked]" (or whatever ftp sight you use) 
and set your password as your "[email-masked]".  
It might be a little different for your firewall, but if it would take 
you manually three steps to get out, you should be able to automate for 
dselect.

Hope this helps,

Shaya
--
Shaya Potter
[email-masked]

---

From: "Richard G. Roberto" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 09:21:32 -0400 (EDT)

> through a fire-wall system? Alternatives?

Some firewalls allow you to log in with a coded login/passwd
pair so it can make the proxified connection for you
transparently.  Check with your firewall administrator to
see if yours supports this.  If so, just enter the proper
information when dselect asks you for your login and passwd,
and then tell it the firewall system name as the ftp server.
That should do it.  We don't support that functionality
here, so I can't test it, but let us know if it does work.

> Thanx,

Good luck!

Richard G. Roberto
[email-masked]
201-739-2886 - whippany, nj

--
*******************************************************************************
Bear Stearns is not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, offer or
agreement or any information about any transaction, customer account or account
activity contained in this communication.
*******************************************************************************

---

From: "Brian C. White" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 13:04:13 -0400

> through a fire-wall system? Alternatives?

I don't know about dpkg-ftp, but 'dftp' can run through a firewall.  The
only firewall I ever tested it with was the "Eagle Secure Gateway", but
I suspect most function similarly.  Note, however, that I haven't run
than piece of the code for many months and may not be as stable as the
rest of 'dftp'.
                                             
                                          Brian
                                 ( [email-masked] )
                                             
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 the difference between theory and practice is less in theory than in practice