Subject: How can I submit packages to be included in the distribution?

From: [email-masked] (Christoph Lameter)
Date: 2 Aug 1996 00:37:13 -0700

We needed to produce some .deb packages when our site began utilizing debian. We would
like to offer them to the public, but we cannot find a way to submit them anywhere.

Could someone please tell us what to do? The documentation on how to submit packages
or become an official maintainer are in total disarray right now. Here is a list of
packages available from ftp.fuller.edu/Linux/debian today:

mgetty-0.99-1.deb	Adds PPP autodetect to mgetty.
ppp-2.2.0fx-1.i386.deb	Adds Remote configuration ability for DNS information
        for dialin Win95 and WinNT users.
apache-1.1.1-1.deb	Upgraded Apache Package with proxy Cache support etc.

verse-0.12.deb		Daily Inspiration through a verse from the King James Bible

Planned .deb package from our site (Please tell us if this is anywhere already available!)
We are running a full Campus Setup here and we will produce the following packages for our setup:
- Harvester		Caching Daemon
- SmartList		ListServer with Full Sendmail integration
- procmail		with Full Sendmail Integration
- fwtk			Firewall Toolkit
- hylafax		Fax Receive and Send with Sendmail Integration
- sac			System Accounting tools
- strobe,tcpspray	Probe other systems
- ircd			IRC Daemon
- 3270 Telnet
- Hytelnet

---

From: Dermot Bradley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 14:21:13 +0100 (BST)

On 2 Aug 1996, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> Planned .deb package from our site (Please tell us if this is anywhere
> already available!) We are running a full Campus Setup here and we will
> produce the following packages for our setup:

Look at Squid instead - an old version can be found in rex/unstable. It's 
a few version behind.

> - procmail		with Full Sendmail Integration

Isn't this part of buzz/stable?

> - hylafax		Fax Receive and Send with Sendmail Integration

You could also use efax which is part of buzz. Someone is working on qfax 
(multi-user extensions to efax).

I've also been working on a few packages myself:

- analog			WWW stats program
- apache + php + webcounter	Apache with several additional modules

I'm hoping to do the following:

- merit radius
- nocol				Network monitoring package
- ldap
- gated				(for internal use - Gated have strict
				redistribution policies!)

Dermot

-- 
Dermot Bradley                                Email: [email-masked]
Communications Director                       Tel: 01232 560552
Genesis Project Ltd                           Fax: 01232 560553
Belfast & Derry, Northern Ireland             WWW: http://www.gpl.net/

---

From: Christoph Lameter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 08:47:00 -0700 (PDT)

> Look at Squid instead - an old version can be found in rex/unstable. It's 
Never heard of Squid. Speedwise I have seen no other software that could
compete with Harvester.
> Isn't this part of buzz/stable?
Yes but its not set up as the local mailer. Sendmail uses deliver under
Debian as far as I can see.
> (multi-user extensions to efax).
I need an integration with Sendmail and the ability to control the time
period and where those faxes are sent.
> - apache + php + webcounter	Apache with several additional modules
There are webcounter cgi-bin thingies that we are using on our site.

The most important stuff for you will probably be the apache source code.
I'd really like to see someone maintaining it and keeping it current.

> 				redistribution policies!)
I know. Perhaps you can just publish the patches and have debian.rules do
an automatic ftp from the gated site?

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
{}    Snail Mail:   FTS Box 466, 135 N.Oakland Ave, Pasadena, CA 91182        {}
{}    FISH Internet System Administrator at Fuller Theological Seminary       {}
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
PGP Public Key  =  FB 9B 31 21 04 1E 3A 33  C7 62 2F C0 CD 81 CA B5

---

From: Dermot Bradley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 16:47:45 +0100 (BST)

> Never heard of Squid. Speedwise I have seen no other software that could

Squid started out as patches for Harvest whenever its (free) development 
stopped. However squid now has more functionally than Harvest cached - in 
the same way as Apache started from NCSA's httpd. Have a look at
http://www.nlanr.net

> There are webcounter cgi-bin thingies that we are using on our site.

I'm using the webcounter module as it's neater.

> I'd really like to see someone maintaining it and keeping it current.

Creating a debian package of apache1.1.1 is simple - I just used the 
debian.* files out of the old package as a basis. That's when I started 
added extras like the webcounter.......

> an automatic ftp from the gated site?

Can do. I haven't started on it yet - hopefully within the next week. A 
few header files gated needs seem to be missing (like 
/usr/include/netinet/ip_var.h) and I believe that libc5.3.x should have 
them so I may need to upgrade parts of my system to "unstable".

Dermot

---

From: Craig Sanders <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 1996 17:21:29 +1000 (EST)

> Look at Squid instead - an old version can be found in rex/unstable. It's 

I hope to release a new version of squid sometime in the coming week.

> Isn't this part of buzz/stable?

yep, procmail's been part of debian for ages.

> You could also use efax which is part of buzz. Someone is working on
> qfax (multi-user extensions to efax).

hylafax would be great!

> - nocol				Network monitoring package

that sounds interesting.  where can i find information on what exactly it
does?

> 				redistribution policies!)

if you do create a package for this, could you distribute your debian.*
files? maybe in a package which contained just the debian.rules etc,
and either a pointer to where to get the source from, or a script to
fetch the source...it would be great if it were possible to make the
build/install process as simple as:

    dpkg -i gated-install.deb
       ## displays message about gated redistribution policy.
    cd /usr/src/gated
    ./debian.rules fetch_src
    ./debian.rules unpack_src
    ./debian.rules binary
    dpkg -i ../gated.deb
    dpkg -r gated-install.deb

:-)

Craig

---

From: Craig Sanders <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 1996 17:27:38 +1000 (EST)

> Never heard of Squid. Speedwise I have seen no other software that could

harvest went commercial. squid is the non-commercial successor to
harvest...development of squid started where free development of harvest
left off.

> Yes but its not set up as the local mailer. Sendmail uses deliver
> under Debian as far as I can see.

add

    FEATURE(local_procmail,/usr/bin/procmail)dnl

to your /etc/mail/sendmail.mc file.

sendmail can use any local mail delivery agent you want.  It would be nice
to see a new release of the sendmail package which asked whether you wanted
to use deliver or procmail.

> period and where those faxes are sent.

yes, that would be good.

Craig

---

From: "Susan G. Kleinmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 1996 06:06:15 -0400

Hi Craig --

> that sounds interesting.  where can i find information on what exactly it

Try this resource: ftp://ftp.navya.com/pub/vikas/

Cheers,
Susan Kleinmann

---

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Date: 3 Aug 1996 21:43:33 +0100

In article <[email-masked]>,
>an automatic ftp from the gated site?

The patches contain actual lines of gated code. So the advice on that
appears to be "be careful". However you shouldn't need any patches for
the very latest gated

Alan
-- 
--------------------------------.----------------------------------------------
UKUU free UUCP Project Swansea  |   Alan Cox, <[email-masked]>
+44 1792 422028 (Cabletel)  	|   Custom Linux Software Projects.
Sonix 33.6K  24x7	 	|   Linux Consultancy. Linux Networking.

---

From: Dermot Bradley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 16:50:44 +0100 (BST)

---

From: Dermot Bradley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 17:11:13 +0100 (BST)

> hylafax would be great!

Started work on it last night - just a bit confused with libgr/libgr-dev 
versus libtiff3/libtiff3-dev/zlib1 needed for building it.

> that sounds interesting.  where can i find information on what exactly it

Have a look at ftp.navya.com in /pub/vikas

> build/install process as simple as:

Sounds fine..........just have to find out in which linux distrib/source
/usr/include/netinet/ip_var.h lives as gated needs it.

Dermot

---

From: Rob Browning <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Aug 1996 19:55:53 -0500

> versus libtiff3/libtiff3-dev/zlib1 needed for building it.

libgr is dead.  Use the individual libs.

--
Rob