Subject: Installation-problem

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 12:28:01 -0400

Hello

I'm a new user of the Linux-system especially Debian-Linux. I recieved a CD
from you from July.
I've got a problem if a want to install other programs on my system:
I already installed the base-system and that's all. Now I want to install
X11, but if I start 'dselect` and say, that I want to install from CD the
program doesn't find a path on CD. The program want to know the top level of
the Debian system. If I enter a path (for example: /contrib), the program
says that the directory `/contrib/stable/binary-i386' doesn't exists. So I
look on the CD and there's no directory called `.../stable/...'. What have I
done wrong or what's  wrong with the program/CD?
Is there another way to install other programs (like the (Win-)DOS-emulator
or editors...)

Oliver Resch

---

From: Will Waites <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 14:59:44 -0400

>Is there another way to install other programs (like the (Win-)DOS-emulator
dselect, which I don't like at all, uses the program dpkg to install,
remove, etc., packages. You must first mount the cdrom with a command
like

mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt 

and then find the package that you want in on the cdrom (in the /mnt
tree)
and then do 

dpkg -i package_to_install.deb

Will

---

From: Dale Scheetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 22:01:33 -0400 (EDT)

> Is there another way to install other programs (like the (Win-)DOS-emulator

You need to specify the path as:

/YourCDMountPoint/contrib

for the contrib sections. You might also want the updates directory:

/YourCDMountPoint/updates

Luck,

Dwarf

------------                                          --------------

aka   Dale Scheetz                   Phone:   1 (904) 877-0257
      Flexible Software              Fax:     NONE 
      Black Creek Critters           e-mail:  [email-masked]

------------ If you don't see what you want, just ask --------------

---

From: Dale Scheetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 22:13:22 -0400 (EDT)

> /YourCDMountPoint/updates
Sorry, I realized almost immediately after pressing send that I had
misunderstood your question. (It's what follows 'contrib' in the path that
dselect is not finding) I remember some discussion of this...try:

dpkg -i /YourCDMountPoint/updates/binary-i386/base/dpkg_1.2.11elf.deb

and let me know if that resolves the issue.

On the other hand, you could copy the relevant directories off of the CD
and put them into the path structure that this version of dselect wants to
find them.

Hope this helps more than the last post,

Dwarf

------------ If you don't see what you want, just ask --------------