Subject: Re: PS/2 mouse

From: "Susan G. Kleinmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 1996 06:14:45 -0400

Hi --

You asked:
> I am trying to run Debian-1.1 on my Compaq Deskpro 66M and the kernel is
> not regognizing my PS/2 mouse nor can I find "psaux.o" (and related files)
> to load the module. I tried boot disks for kernel version 2.0.0 and 2.0.6.
> Is this an error in the boot disk distribution and is there a way to fix
> this short of recompiling the kernel.

(I hope you've already gotten an answer to this.)

Yes, you need a kernel with special support for the mouse compiled in.  
Reading the 'config-?' files in 
    buzz-fixed/disks-i386/special-kernels
it appears that all of the special kernels there have support for the 
PS/2 mouse incorporated as a module.  Several other types of bus mice 
are supported as well.

HTH,
Susan Kleinmann

---

From: Graham Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 12:18:38 +1000 (EST)

Susan G Kleinmann wrote  on 03 Aug 1996 20:14:45 +1000:

    Susan> ...

    Susan> Yes, you need a kernel with special support for the mouse
    Susan> compiled in.  Reading the 'config-?' files in
    Susan> buzz-fixed/disks-i386/special-kernels it appears that all
    Susan> of the special kernels there have support for the PS/2
    Susan> mouse incorporated as a module.  Several other types of bus
    Susan> mice are supported as well.

Apart from doing a diff on these config-? files, is there any
documentation on what each version of the kernel-image contains.  Is
it also correct to assume that the -0 one is the default that ships
with Debian?

Thanks

---

From: Guy Maor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 00:46:47 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 4 Aug 1996, Graham Williams wrote:

> documentation on what each version of the kernel-image contains.

The script which creates them is buzz-fixed/disks-i386/make-floppes.
It has this blurb:

echo "  0 - Almost standard distribution Kernel"
echo "  1 - All Adaptec SCSI + AdvanSys + Always + AM5379c974 + BusLogic"
echo "  2 - DTC + eata_dma (DPT), eata_pio (OLD DPT) + Future Domain"
echo "  3 - NCR5380/53c400 + NCR53c406a + NCR53c7/8xx"
echo "  4 - Iomega Parallel + PAS16 + Qlogic + Seagate + Trantor + UltraStor"
echo "  5 - Special NCR53c400 only Kernel"
echo "  6 - Special NCR53c8xx only Kernel"

>  Is

Yes.

Guy