Subject: can't ifconfig dummy

From: [email-masked] (Bill Roman)
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 22:11:01 -0700 (PDT)

Why doesn't `ifconfig dummy songdog' work?  It tells me:
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device

Am I the dummy here?

--
Bill Roman  ([email-masked] / [email-masked])   running linux

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 96 14:38 EDT

Bill Roman writes:
  Bill>  Why doesn't `ifconfig dummy songdog' work?  It tells me:
  Bill> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device

Try
	ifconfig dummy0 <hostname>
	route add <hostname> 

and if you use kerneld to load modules, add this in /etc/conf.modules:

	alias   dummy0  dummy    

--
Dirk Eddelb"uttel                             http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd

---

From: "Larry 'Daffy' Daffner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 14:59:07 -0500

You gotta tell it which dummy:

ifconfig dummy0 songdog

-Larry

--
  Larry Daffner        |  Linux: Unleash the workstation in your PC!
  [email-masked] / http://web2.airmail.net/vizzie/
	The great tragedy of science, the slaying of a beautiful
	theory by an ugly fact.  --Thomas Henry Huxley

---

From: Pablo Bianucci <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 01:35:54 -0300 (ARST)

Hi Bill!

> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device

The same happened to me, until I realized that the interface should be
called 'dummy0' (or 1, 2, etc...)

Bye & Good Luck!

Pablo B.

---

From: Michael Meskes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 14:06:08 +0200 (MET DST)

> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device

Try dummy0 instead!

Michael

-- 
Michael Meskes                   |    _____ ________ __  ____
[email-masked] |   / ___// ____/ // / / __ \___  __________
[email-masked]                  |   \__ \/ /_  / // /_/ /_/ / _ \/ ___/ ___/
[email-masked]                |  ___/ / __/ /__  __/\__, /  __/ /  (__  )
Use Debian Linux!                | /____/_/      /_/  /____/\___/_/  /____/

---

From: Dominik Kubla <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 15:50:33 +0200

> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device

Try 'dummy0' when it is loaded as a module ...

> Am I the dummy here?

No, this one is really a stupid bug (needs just ONE changed line in
the kernel to be fixed!)

Dominik