Subject: Re: XFree86 3.1.2[DE]

From: Christian Schwarz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 12:44:42 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi!

> My understanding is that the currently available Debian X11R6 packages
> are from XFree86 3.1.2 and to upgrade I will need first to install the
> 3.1.2D distribution from ftp.xfree86.org then to install the upgrade
> files for 3.1.2E.  Can anyone confirm this?  I would prefer an
> unnecessary upgrade.

I use an ATI Win Turbo with Mach 64 Chip (I think). Therefore I needed
XFree86 3.1.2E (release D is expired). This is what I did and it might
also work for you:

1. Install Debian as usual, with all X stuff and the Mach64 Server. 

2. Install the XFree86 3.1.2E Mach64 Server Binary (this is only the
/usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_Mach64 file!) over the old server.

Using the new server with the old libs/binaries works fine. I think it is
the best way to first install the old server and then overwrite it, so
debian thinks that the depencies are correct. Otherwise it will complain
about not having a X server installed.

Cheers,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz
           / o \__   [email-masked], [email-masked]
           !   ___;    
           \  /        PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
  \\\______/  !         http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/
   \          /
-.-.,---,-,-..---,-,-.,----.-.-
  "DIE ENTE BLEIBT DRAUSSEN!"

---

From: Guy Maor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 10:14:06 -0500 (CDT)

> about not having a X server installed.

A better way would be to install the new server somewhere in
/usr/local.  Then edit the file /etc/X11/Xserver so it refers to the
new server.  It's best to install local software in /usr/local and not
in /usr.

I'm not sure, but you may need to install the package termcap-compat
for the XFree beta servers to work.

Guy