Subject: Re: Installing Linux over a LAN

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Perens)
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 96 20:58 PDT

For Debian, you can do the installation using the 5 floppies, and then all
other software can be auto-loaded by "dselect" via FTP. We can do better
than that, and will in 1.2 if I get time (or a volunteer to work on the
installation system).

	Thanks

	Bruce

---

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 00:39:50 -0400 (EDT)

> than that, and will in 1.2 if I get time (or a volunteer to work on the

When I installed Debian 2 days ago, I was wishing that instead of the 3
"base" floppies, it could at least use a .tar.gz file containing
the same stuff somewhere on an existing ext2 partition. A small change (?)
like that would make the install a lot easier.

-- 
#!/usr/bin/perl -pl-                                      ,,ep) ayf >|)nj,,
$_=reverse lc$_;s@"@''@g;y/[]{A-R}<>()a-y1-9,!.?`'/][}        Joey Hess
{><)(eq)paj6y!fk7wuodbjsfn^mxhl5Eh29L86`i'%,/;s@k@>|@g#   [email-masked]
                      "He. He. He." - - Herman Toothrot

---

From: Steffen Mueller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 08:48:08 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi everybody,

> than that, and will in 1.2 if I get time (or a volunteer to work on the

That's indeed no problem at all. The only thing I had to do is to manually
install dpkg-ftp and the perl package after I've set up the base system
using the 5 floppies. Worked like a charm. No problems at all !

BTW :

Another two collegues convinced of DEBIAN 8-) !

Greetings,

Steffen
-----
Steffen R.Mueller               __  ___ _       _     email: [email-masked]
NTG Netzwerk und Telematic GmbH \ \/ / (_)_ __ | | __ fax  : +49 721 9652 210
Geschaeftsbereich Xlink          \  /| | | '_ \| |/ / phone: +49 721 9652 211
Vincenz-Priessnitz-Str. 3        /  \| | | | | |   <  RIPE : SM25-RIPE
D-76131 Karlsruhe, Germany      /_/\_\_|_|_| |_|_|\_\ WWW.Xlink.net/~steffen

---

From: Dominik Kubla <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 12:05:59 +0200

> than that, and will in 1.2 if I get time (or a volunteer to work on the

But using NFS is more fun and it used to work!  Could we please ensure
that the provided Boot/Root disks have the same Kernel- and Module-Version
than needed by the rest of the system?

I hate it if it takes me 1 day to install a system over the network!

Dominik