Subject: Using dump output from Sun under Debian

From: [email-masked] (John D. Amidon)
Date: 28 Aug 1996 00:41:46 -0400

Anyone know how to make Debain's `restore' command correctly read a DAT tape
written on on a Sun?  The backup was made with the following command:

dump 0bdsf 126 54000 6000 /dev/rst1 /home

I've tried various things, I even read the SCSI-HOWTO and still no joy.  I
believe the drive is working fine, since I can read `cpio' backups from a
Sun just fine.

Any help would be appreciated...

-- 
==================================================================
John Amidon                               jhk & Associates
(770) 447-6831                            3500 Parkway Ln, Ste 600
[email-masked]                               Norcross, GA 30092
==================================================================
Opinions expressed in this posting do not represent the views of
jhk & Associates or Science Applications International Corporation

---

From: Amos Shapira <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 05:16:43 -0700

> believe the drive is working fine, since I can read `cpio' backups from a

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the format used by "dump" isn't
cross-platform compatible.  You should stick to tar or cpio.

Hope this helps,

--Amos