Subject: Re: Real Audio

From: Derek Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 10:59:11 -0400

I have Real Audio working on my debian box. I am running 2.0.0 kernel
which contains the appropriate Voxware sound driver. There was no need
to install USSLite.

Are your other sound utilities working?

--Derek Lee

---

From: "Richard G. Roberto" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 17:51:44 -0400 (EDT)

> Are your other sound utilities working?

I'm having a problem getting anything to do with sound to
work.  I get this at boot time:

Starting the Network Audio System
Checking quotas: Done
Making quota files sparse: Done
Turning on quotas
starting /usr/sbin/snmpd ...
starting /usr/sbin/watchdog ...

Fatal server error:
could not create audio connection block info

I don't know how to test the card.  Its an Audiotrix Pro
card that's configured correctly under windows.  I used the
same settings in the kernel config, but I'm not sure what
first and second audio mean.  I took it to mean 1st=play_dma
and 2nd=rec_dma.  I'd appreciate any help with this too.

Thanks

Richard G. Roberto
[email-masked]
201-739-2886 - whippany, nj

13 days with no sleep and counting ...

--
*******************************************************************************
Bear Stearns is not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, offer or
agreement or any information about any transaction, customer account or account
activity contained in this communication.
*******************************************************************************

---

From: Christian Lynbech <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 12:05:37 +0200

>>>>> "Richard" == "Richard G Roberto" <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Are your other sound utilities working?

Richard> I'm having a problem getting anything to do with sound to
Richard> work.  I get this at boot time:

Richard> Starting the Network Audio System
Richard> Checking quotas: Done
Richard> Making quota files sparse: Done
Richard> Turning on quotas
Richard> starting /usr/sbin/snmpd ...
Richard> starting /usr/sbin/watchdog ...

Richard> Fatal server error:
Richard> could not create audio connection block info

Hmm, which kernel version are you running? 

I upgraded to 2.0.0 and found much to my pleasant surprise that my
soundblaster card had started to work. Then I upgraded to 2.0.6 and it
stopped working again (I haven't had time to properly report it yet,
so I haven't the error message at hand but it was something about
allocating an IRQ). Downgrading back to 2.0.0 fixed things.

The "Fatal server error" you get is just the Network Audio System
(NAS) telling you that it can't connect to the sound device.

---------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
Christian Lynbech          | Computer Science Department, University of Aarhus
Office: R0.32              | Ny Munkegade, Building 540, DK-8000 Aarhus C
Phone: +45 8942 3218       | [email-masked] -- www.daimi.aau.dk/~lynbech
---------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
Hit the philistines three times over the head with the Elisp reference manual.
                                        - [email-masked] (Michael A. Petonic)

---

From: Rob Browning <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Aug 1996 10:46:40 -0500

> allocating an IRQ). Downgrading back to 2.0.0 fixed things.

Same problem here with a CrystalLake card, but it was again fixed in
2.0.11.

--
Rob

---

From: Gerry Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 11:43:58 -0600 (MDT)

> allocating an IRQ). Downgrading back to 2.0.0 fixed things.

Although this might not be your problem, there is a major bug with the
sound driver (at least with Sound Blaster16) in some of the 2.0.x kernels
(sorry, I don't remember which ones).  I think 2.0.0 is ok, and it may
have been fixed by now in the latest 2.0.x kernels but I don't know.  The
usual effect is that it completely locks up your system the 2nd time the
sound module is loaded (or autoloaded via kerneld).  This can be fixed by
not including MIDI support in the sound driver when compiling your kernel
(of course if you need MIDI support you're SOL).  Like I say, this *may*
have been fixed by now in the latest 2.0.x kernels.

Gerry