Subject: ELF-x11r6lib in a debian package?

From: "Michael J. Cotherman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 1996 17:02:51 -0700

I don't mean to sound sstupid, but do I install X11R6 like I do for 
other distributions..or is it in a .deb package?

I have installed X11R6 before (3.1.2D/E). are there any bugs
or peculiarities that I should be aware of?

Are there other common freeware items that are not in packages?

thank you very much.

Mike Cotherman
[email-masked]

---

From: "Susan G. Kleinmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 1996 07:11:47 -0400

Hi Mike --

You asked:
> ... do I install X11R6 like I do for 

Debian users can install X11R6 from a series of Debian packages.
They are in section "buzz/binary/x11" or "buzz-fixed/binary/x11"
at any Debian mirror.  You need xlib*.deb, xbase*.deb, whatever
font packages you want, whatever xserver*.deb is appropriate
for your video card, and fvwm*.deb or fvwm2*.deb.  You'll probably
also want xmanpages*.deb.

> or peculiarities that I should be aware of?

(Now that's really an unanswerable question :-).  

If you had a setup that was working in Slackware, and if you did not
require ActiveX to get it working, then chances are extremely high
that you can get the same setup working with the Debian packages.
However, note that the Debian packages that exist right now do not
refer to X11R6 3.1.2D or E.  Those were/are beta versions.  The earlier
version was packaged for Debian.  If you require D or E, then I would
suggest that you install the Debian packages, then go get what you
need for D or E, put them in your /usr/local, and cause the scripts
in /etc/X11 to point to your files (particuarly your xserver) in 
/usr/local.

> Are there other common freeware items that are not in packages?

Lots of freeware programs have already been packaged for Debian.
But the field is hardly exhausted.  Every month of so, Sven Rudolph
sends out an email with a list of 
"Work-Needing and Prospective Packages for Debian Linux", which
is a kind of "to-do" list for Debian package developers.

Hope that helps.
Susan Kleinmann