Subject: Wrong SCSI-Adaptor detected

From: Ulrich Guenzel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 13:28:59 +0200

Help!!

I've got a funny  >:(( little problem with Debian 1.1.2 (July 96).

My system consists of

Motherboard Chaintech 5IFM 
64 MB RAM (non-EDO)
Graphics Board ELSA WINNER Trio 1000V
SCSI Adaptor  Asus SC200 with NCR 53c810
IBM DORS 32160 Harddisk
Mitsumi CD-ROM FX400 (IDE)

First I tried to install Linux using the Debian 1.1.2 Installation
Bootdisk (Kernel 2.0.6). This version detected while booting a
NCR 53c460A (!!), resulting in an error message like

NCR 53c406A: No available ports found

Second attempt: Using one of the special Kernels with the
NCR53c460A-Option deactivated, I got the system correctly booted,
detecting the installed 53c810. But... the modules.tgz of this Version
is corrupted (e.g., the NCR 53c460A driver is missing).

Third, fourth, fifth attempt: Trying Slackware 2.3, 3.0, 3.1 (Kernel
V2.0.0). All versions correctly detected the SCSI-Adaptor.
BUT I INSIST IN INSTALLING DEBIAN!!

I`ve read all HOWTOS etc. and news, but got no idea to solve this
problem.

Is there any way to boot with a specified SCSI-Adaptor without
recompiling the kernel? Somebody out there who was confronted with the
same problem and got through? Or, if there is no way, which parts of my
system (libraries, compiler ...) most be up to date for compiling a
custom kernel? 

Please help, I think I'm going nuts!! Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!
-- 
Ulrich Guenzel

Geophysikalisches Institut der
Universitaet Karlsruhe
Hertzstrasse 16
D-76187 Karlsruhe

Tel.: 0049 (0)721 608 4594
Fax : 0049 (0)721 71173