Subject: Sound card IRQ

From: Eric Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 23:09:23 -0600

Me: New user of Debian Linux on 486.

Problem: sound module insists on looking at IRQ 7 ("sb: Interrupt test
on IRQ 7 failed - device disabled" or something like that).  Need it to
look at IRQ 5.

Hardware: unknown brand 8-bit Soundblaster-compatible mono... jumper-set
to IRQ 5 by choice.  Port 220, DMA 1.

Tried: adding arguments to module (eg. insmod sound irq=5), searching on
web, reading old debian-user list archives, reading Linux HOWTO on
soundcards (they say recompile kernel... but this is such an easy thing
there's got to be something I missed, right?).

Asking for: pointers to man pages, documents or web pages I missed,
please?  Or a simple answer.  :)

Thanx for all replies in advance!

--
  Eric Liu ([email-masked]) [ENERGi http://www.ucalgary.ca/~eliu/]

---

From: "Susan G. Kleinmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 06:19:28 -0400

Hi Eric --

> there's got to be something I missed, right?).

No, you didn't miss anything.  I, too, wonder why the default IRQ for
sound cards seems to be 7, especially since that's the defualt IRQ for
the parallel port on PC clones.  I believe this ought to be fixed in
the versions of the kernel-* packages that are distributed by the
Debian project.  

Regards,
Susan Kleinmann

---

From: Eric Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 18:57:47 -0600

Hello!

Thanks to Susan Kleinmann for her response:

> > Problem: sound module insists on looking at IRQ 7 ("sb: Interrupt 
> > test on IRQ 7 failed - device disabled" or something like that).  
> > Need it to look at IRQ 5.

>>From reading another article in this list, I finally found out the
solution to the above problem!

The argument to pass to the sound module is sound=[thing].  The details
for [thing] is found at:
	http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/BootPrompt-HOWTO-7.html#ss7.3

For eg., my sb-clone's on port 220, IRQ 5, DMA 1, and under the details
of that page, classifies as a type 2.  This would work:
	insmod sound sound=0x222051