Subject: Re: Unidentified subject!

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Perens)
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 96 12:03 PDT

> What should I try next to get the hard drive to boot
> the kernel on the second partition?  I may have ruined
> it by writing a boot record onto the second partition.

Try re-installing the LILO package, and answer _yes_ to all of the questions
it asks you. This will put Debian's MBR program on your MBR, and our standard
LILO configuration on your partition, and will get you
in a known state that will help us diagnose any subsequent problems.

	Thanks

	Bruce

---

From: "Carlo U. Segre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 00:53:58 -0500 (CDT)

> in a known state that will help us diagnose any subsequent problems.

Alternatively, boot the system from a floppy and make the second 
partition the active one.  This will then boot LILO properly without 
having to write to the MBR.  It works...

Carlo

    ***********************************************************************
    *                            Carlo U. Segre                           *
    *      Department of Biological, Chemical and Physical Sciences       *
    *        Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL 60616          *
    *   Voice: (312) 567-3498                      FAX: (312) 567-3494    *
    *                      [email-masked]                      *
    ***********************************************************************