Subject: where is wish ?

From: [email-masked] (Hubert FAUQUE)
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 14:07:40 GMT

I have tried 
  make xconfig
to generate a new config file for the kernel but it gives an error
   wish not found
Could somebody tell me what is wish and in which package it is?
thanks
Hubert Fauque
[email-masked]

---

From: "Susan G. Kleinmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 13:24:01 -0400

Hi Hubert --

> Could somebody tell me what is wish and in which package it is?

To find which package contains a file, try something like this:

# zgrep wish buzz-fixed/Contents.gz
usr/bin/mfv_wish                                             tkmail
usr/bin/scwish                                               scotty
usr/bin/wish4.0                                              tk40
usr/bin/wish4.1                                              tk41
usr/bin/wishx                                                tclX
usr/doc/examples/python/Demo/tkinter/guido/wish.py           python
usr/man/man1/scwish.1                                        scotty
usr/man/man1/wish4.0.1                                       tk40
usr/man/man1/wish4.1.1                                       tk41

Good luck,
Susan Kleinmann

---

From: [email-masked] (David Engel)
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 13:45:23 -0500 (CDT)

> Could somebody tell me what is wish and in which package it is?

Wish is the base-level Tk interpreter.  Install either the tk40 or
tk41 packages.  if you install both, the wish from tk41 will be used
by default.

David
-- 
David Engel                        Optical Data Systems, Inc.
[email-masked]                      1101 E. Arapaho Road
(214) 234-6400                     Richardson, TX  75081

---

From: Juha Ylitalo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 22:11:15 +0300 (EETDST)

> Could somebody tell me what is wish and in which package it is?

You need tcl/tk packages. In plain english its tk41 and that file (tcl75
?) which is requests for dependencies. One useful way for tracking down
needed packages is to download those Contents files and then grep for
program that you wish to get, i.e. grep wish Contents on Debian
distribution would have pointed out tk40 and tk41 as packages which have
it.

--
Juha 'Ylis' Ylitalo	[email-masked]		<work e-mail>
+358 0 511 23313	http://www.helsinki.fi/~jylitalo	<public www>
     "True friendship is never serene." - Marie de Rabutin-Chantal

---

From: Martin Alonso Soto Jacome <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 11:55:28 -0500

> tk41 packages.  if you install both, the wish from tk41 will be used 

By the way, this days I tried to compile some Tcl extension package (namely 
ctk) and its configure script wasn't able to find the Tcl library.  
Investigating the problem, I found out that Debian doesn't install a libtcl.a 
or libtcl.so but libtcl7.4.a and and libtcl7.4.so.  

I know that is done to allow for the simultaneous installation of Tcl 7.4 and 
7.5 (and possibly other future versions).  However, I just wonder if it should 
exist a link to one of those libraries from /etc/alternatives (and, of course, 
one from /usr/lib/libtcl.so to it) so that configuration scripts can find the 
real library easily.  I can see that the packages are doing that already for 
wish and tclsh, but not for the library.  Am I missing something?

M. S.
------------
Martin A. Soto J.                           Profesor
Departamento de Ingenieria de Sistemas y Computacion
Universidad de los Andes      [email-masked]