Subject: Adaptec corruption relieved! (so far)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 96 11:29:44 PDT

I posted earlier that my 2.0.0 kernel, using aic7xxx, corrupted my
superblock, whereas my previous 1.2.13 kernel (aha274x) didn't.

On the advice of Dan Eischen, I got linux kernel 2.0.7 plus a patch
for aic7xxx.  I compiled the patched kernel, installed it, and now I
can reboot with impunity.  The superblock stays clean.  Here's where I
got the source and patch:

ftp.teleport.com:/pub/users/deang/Linux/aic7xxx/Experiment/

I still need to try some device-stressing stuff (big tars to and from
floppies, for example) to see whether the fix holds up.  But so far,
so good.

Other correspondents suggested other fixes which I haven't tried out:

1.	Downgrade to kernel 1.3.97
2.	Get a firmware revision from Conner (I think this may apply
	only to the 1060S, my disk is a 1080S).
3.	One correspondent had the same problem, but it only occurred
	with reboots, not halts.  They were able to fix the superblock
	with an emergency floppy using an alternate superblock (8193,
	for example).

Many thanks to the following:
=============================

Dan Eischen
Holger Kemper
Fredrik Lundholm
Allan K. Smith
Bernd Melchers

(I apologize if I forgot anybody).

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Danny Heap, UCSF, 3333 California St., Room 102, SF CA, 94122
[email-masked], voice:	(415) 476-8910, fax: (415) 476-1508
--------------------------------------------------------------------