Subject: X11 problems

From: [email-masked] (Jens Decker)
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 96 02:31:59 +0200

Hello,

I have once again tried to install the debian distribution and
I have once again failed to get X11 running. This time with
a Hercules Stingray Pro and the SVGA server.

The monitor gets black and after CTRL-ALT-F4 I get:

TRANS(SocketUNIXConnect) () can't connect: errno = 111
giving up.
xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

Does someone have an idea what's going wrong?

Thanks a lot,

Jens Decker

---

From: Ed Donovan <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Aug 1996 13:00:35 -0400

> xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

Re: this output -

It'd help to see more of the stderr output from X. This is the tail end
of what scrolled by.  The X server probably found no valid modes,
according to its assessment of the hardware, in your XF86Config.  If
this was run by startx, try 'startx 2> X_Startup &', just sending that
output to a file.

You'll see a lot of stuff in there; lines beginning (**) report info
specified in your XF86Config, those beginning (--) show what the server
is determining on its own.  These will include the lines where it
excludes possible configurations found in that file, like these:

(--) SVGA: Mode "640x480" needs vert refresh rate of 69.98 Hz. Deleted.
(--) SVGA: Mode "800x600" needs vert refresh rate of 60.32 Hz. Deleted.
(--) SVGA: Mode "800x600" needs vert refresh rate of 72.19 Hz. Deleted.

and later these:

(--) SVGA: There is no defined dot-clock matching mode "800x600"
(--) SVGA: Removing mode "800x600" from list of valid modes.

(not that I'm having trouble getting my Cirrus 5420 to do 800x600 ;-)

This could give you some start into what's not working in your
XF86Config settings.  I don't know your hardware & am not enough of a
general expert, so I should let others take it from there.  They'll want
(parts of) your XF86Config, and perhaps the results from running
Superprobe.  Right now, either the settings don't match the hardware, or
you have to specify more to force the server to realize that they do.

HTH a little,

-- 

Ed Donovan			[email-masked]