Subject: RE: Two Questions

From: [email-masked] (Tim O'Brien)
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 11:39:08 -0500

>1. How do I set up a boot so I can boot Debian or Win95? 
> Now I have to use a boot disk to get debian to boot...

I believe there's a command line linux loader you can use to boot linux. 
I suppose the easiest thing to do would be set a batch file to present 
you a menu and allow a selection of either 95 or linux. I can't remember
the name of the command line loader though, I use LILO on a machine that
runs just Linux.

>2. How do I change the diplay mode in XF86 from 8bit to 16bit
>color? I have a Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM w/ 2MB and use 
>16bit color in win95 so there shouldn't be any probs to get
>it in X too..

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there is a problem with the
Diamond card. If memory serves me well, Diamond does not publicize code
to drive their cards without signing a non-disclosure agreement. Since 
Linux includes all source code under GNU, this would break the NDA and 
cause all sortsa trouble. 

Good luck with it, and like I mentioned, I think what I just said is 
accurate, but check me on this one, I may be thinking about a different
video card. 

Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
  I am Pentium of Borg. Division is futile. You will be APPROXIMATED! 

  [email-masked]      <-- (Primary email)
  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Shaya Potter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 16:48:16 -0400 (EDT)

> accurate, but check me on this one, I may be thinking about a different
That's the way it used to be, but diamond has become much more friendly 
to the linux community and they don't force the xfree group to sign the 
non disclosure aggrements anymore.

Shaya Potter
[email-masked]