Subject: minimal system

From: Mike& Candy List <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 00:03:57 -0700

can anyone advise a new debian user on a scenario in which a useable
system can be installed on a 120 meg hard drive with a 20 meg swap
on another disk? If I can't use it for much then it seems that I would 
be better off going back to microstuffit- not all bad but........
thanks 1&all    Mike List

---

From: "Brian C. White" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 11:32:29 -0400

> be better off going back to microstuffit- not all bad but........

Luxury!

On a 20MHz 386 with 6MB Ram, 60MB Disk (8 Swap, 52 System) we ran:

 - fax server
 - source code repository
 - dial-in server
 - bug-report tracking

No X-Windows or anything, but a very functional system and the hub of
our development team at the time.
                                             
                                          Brian
                                 ( [email-masked] )
                                             
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Want to get it together?  We can help!  http://www.verisim.com/coordinator/

---

From: Mike Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 14:24:05 -0400 (EDT)

> system can be installed on a 120 meg hard drive with a 20 meg swap

If this were my system, I would install linux, but not X.  You didn't
say, but I suspect that you are also low on memory and your swap drive
is fairly old.  If my assumptions are correct, and you installed X,
your system would swap to disk often and slowly.  Not fun.

I like emacs, but I would learn to like vi if I had your system.  If vi
is too unfriendly, try some of the other small editors available in
Debian.

Virtual consoles (cntrl-alt-F1, cntrl-alt-F2, ...) and job control
(cntrl-z, bg, fg, ...) can make a non-X system more fun.  If the
preceeding sentence is gibberish to you, send me private email and I
will explain in more detail.

Hope this helps
Mike