Subject: Re: module cdu31a fails on insert

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Perens)
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 96 16:49 PDT

From: [email-masked] (renald loignon)
> May I ask, in all seriousness, and without a trace of sarcasm, where in the
> world (BUT preferably in the Debian installation instructions) one is
> expected to find this information?  I was used to the old
> "cdu31a=0xPORT,IRQ" syntax from the boot prompt, or as an "append=..." line
> in /etc/lilo.conf....

I don't see that it is documented at all outside of the kernel source.
And if you think that this is a serious problem in Debian, it is. And it's
not going to be helped unless more people like you volunteer to work on the
documentation.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
       Clinton isn't perfect, but I like him a lot more than Dole.
            Please register to vote, and vote for Democrats.
Bruce Perens AB6YM          [email-masked]            http://www.hams.com/

---

From: "Susan G. Kleinmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 06:38:39 -0400

> I don't see that it is documented at all outside of the kernel source.

I'm getting confused.  Isn't the purpose of /usr/lib/module_help/arguments
to document the arguments that can be given to a module when it is activated?

?,
Susan Kleinmann

---

From: Todd Tyrone Fries <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 13:46:35 -0500 (CDT)

> > May I ask, in all seriousness, and without a trace of sarcasm, where in
> > the world (BUT preferably in the Debian installation instructions) one
> > is expected to find this information?  I was used to the old
> > "cdu31a=0xPORT,IRQ" syntax from the boot prompt, or as an "append=..."
> > line in /etc/lilo.conf....
> 

Is there any chance you have checked the bootparm-howto?

http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw ??  If it is not in there, I would suggest that
would be the best place for it.
--
Todd Fries .. [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 96 22:44 EDT

Todd>  Is there any chance you have checked the bootparm-howto?
  Todd> 
  Todd> http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw ??  

If you install Debian's doc-linux package, they are also at
        /usr/doc/HOWTO/*

As the doc-linux package is updated monthly with the upstream HOWTOs, you
should always look for the newest one in unstable/binary-all/doc. Safe to
install on any system as it's only text. Hard to put a bug into that :-)

--
Dirk Eddelb"uttel                             http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd