Subject: problem using DC fonts in latex

From: Eric Delaunay <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 18:27:59 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello all,

  I have upgraded my Debian system using latex_2e-7 and mflib_1.0-8 as
described in an earlier message I read from this mailing list.
However, when I tried to use T1 font encoding, I got a lot of errors
regarding font availability.

Running latex on a document that requires DC fonts (\usepackage[T1]{fontenc})
generates errors when it looks for fonts to be included in the document.

I don't have exact logs to put in my mail (I test new packages at my home, not
at my office, sorry :-( ) but I can try to explain what latex do:

when loading fontenc, latex selects T1 encoding by then load the upright font
at the desired size (10, 11 or 12pt, I tried all of them).
Name of font (for 10pt, for instance) is dcr1000.mf.
However, this font isn't available in my system, then latex run MakeTeXTFM to
build it and store a new description in /var/spool/texmf/fonts/source.

In the followind step, latex (or maybe MakeTeXTFM ?) run MakeTeXMF on that
source to generate a bitmap font. However it doesn't find the font.
Apparently, /var/spool/texmf/fonts/source isn't in the default MFINPUTS path :-(
Therefore I added it and reran latex (by setenv MFINPUTS <thisfontpath>:).

Latex then generate all the fonts I needed in my document but all are ugly
under xdvi (characters strokes are very, very thin).

Apparently, this new distribution uses DC fonts v1.2 but the old one
(latex_2e-4) uses a previous version.
I heard that I should also upgrade fonts. Should it fix my problem ?
I also heard that mf program should be designed to run with DC-1.2 fonts :-\
BTW, I didn't find a newer package than mfbasfnt_1.0-3 and textfm_1.0-3 that
I already have installed.
Does a new font package will be planned ?

Thank in advance for all replies I could receive.

-- 
 Eric Delaunay                 | "La guerre justifie l'existence des militaires.
 [email-masked] | En les supprimant." Henri Jeanson (1900-1970)

---

From: Rich Deighton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 19:42:38 +0100

The other day I removed the package dpkg-ftpd (the perl script) as
dselect reported it as an 'Obselete/Local package'; this seemed sensible
at the time, however I now can't utilise ftp as an install method. As I
understand it there is an alternative way of doing this... but I
couldn't find any packages on a debian mirror, and I'm not sure how to
integrate the dftp-1.5 script I found in the tools directory.

Pointers to documentation regarding this or even a solution would be
much appreciated.

Rich
-- 

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| Rich Deighton <[email-masked]>        79 Radcliffe Road, West
Bridgford|
| (0115) 9455059                                 Nottingham, England.
NG2 5HE.|
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

---

From: Christian Hudon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 18:04:56 -0700 (PDT)

> integrate the dftp-1.5 script I found in the tools directory.

'Obsolete/Local' is just dselect's way of saying it found the package
installed on your system but not in the Debian distribution. You certainly
don't need to uninstall packages in there... unless you want to, that is.

Just reinstall dpkg-ftp and the 'ftp' method of dselect will work again.

  Christian

---

From: Michael Meskes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 09:07:48 +0200 (MET DST)

> regarding font availability.

Yes, that's because the dc fonts are way too old. The way I hear it Erick is
working on new release but there are copyright problems, so it may take a
while.

I did manually upgrade mfbasfnt and put it on
ftp://feivel.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/debian.local/binary-i386/local/mfbasfnt-1.0-3.deb   

Please try this and tell us if it works. It did for me.

Michael

-- 
Michael Meskes                   |    _____ ________ __  ____
[email-masked] |   / ___// ____/ // / / __ \___  __________
[email-masked]                  |   \__ \/ /_  / // /_/ /_/ / _ \/ ___/ ___/
[email-masked]                |  ___/ / __/ /__  __/\__, /  __/ /  (__  )
Use Debian Linux!                | /____/_/      /_/  /____/\___/_/  /____/