Subject: Re: output of shutdown -h now

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Perens)
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 96 21:57 PDT

From: Justin Ennis <[email-masked]>
> I am using the original Debian 1.1 release (kernel 2.0.0), and when
> I issue a "shutdown -h now" command, I get the following:
> System halted
> general protection: 0000
> CPU: 0
> EIP: 0010: [<00173257>]
> EFLAGS: 00010046
> eax: 00005307  ebx: 00000001  ecx: bfff0003  edx: 00000000
> esi: bfffff0c  edi: 08000e4a  ebp: bfff0003  esp: 005a5f80
> ds: 0000  es: 0000  fs: 0000  gs: 0000  ss: 0018
> Process halt (pid: 220, process nr: 6, stackpage=005a5000)
> Stack:  00000246 0000002b 0011002b 00000018 00710018 00714810 bfffff0c 08000e4a
>         bffffdc0 0011231e 00000003 ffffffff 00000009 001cc40a 0010a482 fee1dead
>         28121969 cdef0123 bfffff0c 08000e4a bffffdc0 ffffffda 0803002b 0010002b
> Call Trace:  [<0011002b>] [<0011231e>] [<0010a482>]
> Code: 2e ff 1d 2c b8 20 00 0f 92 c0 9d 0f a9 0f 91 07 1f 89 c5 84

My fault. I put the APM driver in the generic kernel. If you get a later
kernel (or build your own custom one) it will get better. It's trying to
call the APM power-off function to turn off your system.

	BrucE

---

From: Bill Bumgarner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 96 03:44:51 -0500

Howdy!

	I just picked up the LAN adapter mentioned in the subject;  it  
replaces a Cogent BusMaster 960 that sporadically locked up under heavy load  
[ick!].
	
	It works perfectly under my primary OS-- NEXTSTEP-- but I can't  
find a driver that works for Linux.  The driver that drives the Pro/100 does  
NOT work with this card.
	
	The card uses an 82557 Intel Ethernet Controller.
	
	Anyone know of a working driver for it or someone who is  
developping said driver and needs an alpha/beta tester?  I have a second,  
very slow Linux system with a full-blown development environment, so  
building a custom kernel to whatever version is necessary is not a problem.
	
	thanks,
	b.bum

---

From: Stormy Henderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 09:46:26 -0500 (CDT)

I  just picked  up  the  LAN adapter  mentioned  in  the subject;  it
   replaces a  Cogent BusMaster  960 that  sporadically locked  up under
   heavy load [ick!].

   It works perfectly under my primary  OS-- NEXTSTEP-- but I can't find
   a driver  that works for Linux.   The driver that drives  the Pro/100
   does NOT work with this card.

As  far as  I have  been able  to ascertain,  the EEPRO  driver in  the 2.0
kernels  is only  for the  ISA  adapters, not  PCI.   I find  it more  than
slightly annoying, as until I find a driver,  I have to use Win95 9 hours a
day instead of Debian.  )c:

                                                     Stormy Henderson,
                                                     Sparco Communications