Subject: Re: dosemu

From: Miro Torrielli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 10:31:59 +0200

Dale Scheetz wrote:
> 
> Try installing the xcompat package. It probably has the a.out library
> dosemu is looking for.
> 
> Luck,
> 
> Dwarf
> 
> ------------                                          --------------
> 
> aka   Dale Scheetz                   Phone:   1 (904) 877-0257
>       Flexible Software              Fax:     NONE
>       Black Creek Critters           e-mail:  [email-masked]
> 
> ------------ If you don't see what you want, just ask --------------

Thanx for the info, I should have thought of it myself.
However, I can't get dosemu to boot with the -A switch, and
can't therefore install it. It always crashes giving me:
ERROR: can't get floppy parameter in /dev/fd0.

My floppy drive usually works, and the boot disk is fine.
Whats up??

Thanks for your time...

---

From: Dale Scheetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 09:00:22 -0400 (EDT)

> My floppy drive usually works, and the boot disk is fine.
I remember seeing this discussed on the list, but I don't remember the
specifics. It has to do with making a copy of your boot disk on the hard
disk and then booting from that. You might check out the HOWTO for
details.

Luck,

Dwarf

------------ If you don't see what you want, just ask --------------

---

From: Shaya Potter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 10:45:23 -0400 (EDT)

> My floppy drive usually works, and the boot disk is fine.
 
This seems to be a bug in the version of DOSEMU that has been packaged 
for debian.  The way to get around this is to edit the dosemu.conf file 
in /etc and replace
	floppy { device /dev/fd0 }
with
	floppy { file /var/lib/dosemu/diskimage } 
you will then take the floppy that has all the files you were supposed to 
put on it and run
	dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/var/lib/dosemu/diskimage }
you will then be able to boot off the image of drive A: and when ever you 
access drive A:, it will be the image file.

This is a workaround, not a fix.  However, this bug does seem to be fixed 
(at least on my system) in the development releases, which I am using on 
my system.

Hope this helps

Shaya
--
Shaya Potter
[email-masked]

---

From: Miro Torrielli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 18:30:41 +0200

> disk and then booting from that. You might check out the HOWTO for

Thanx again for the help, I managed to boot from a floppy image and
got it up and running. However, it seems that as I solve one problem,
another arises: I cab't seem to get the graphics support working.
When I run vgaon, it says that the BIOS is not mapped. I tried changing
all the parameters in the config file, bu to no avail. You know, I feel
like trashing DOS once and for all!!
Appreciate your help, 'later...

---

From: Shaya Potter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 15:11:06 -0400 (EDT)

> Appreciate your help, 'later...

What video card do you use? 

Shaya
--
Shaya Potter
[email-masked]

---

From: Miro Torrielli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 11:17:57 +0200

> What video card do you use?

Well, I'm currently using a Cirrus Logic GD5434, which works fine
with XFree in 8 bit mode, but produces streaks at higher bpp's. Anyway,
I'm getting a Matrox soon, a real speedster. Thanx for your time...

---

From: [email-masked] (Dave Holland)
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 96 09:28 BST

>I'm getting a Matrox soon, a real speedster. Thanx for your time...

I'd suggest not getting a Matrox card -- I believe they're not supported
by XFree86 because Matrox won't release technical details of their
cards. Go for something S3-based instead...

Regards,

Dave Holland

---

From: Steffen Mueller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 13:43:02 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 19 Aug 1996, Dave Holland wrote:

Hi Dave,

> cards. Go for something S3-based instead...

True that it isn't supportet by the generic XF86 package but it IS
supportet by the accelerated servers and have a great performance.

The accelerated X servers are commercial though but are effordable !

Greetings,

Steffen
-----
Steffen R.Mueller               __  ___ _       _     email: [email-masked]
NTG Netzwerk und Telematic GmbH \ \/ / (_)_ __ | | __ fax  : +49 721 9652 210
Geschaeftsbereich Xlink          \  /| | | '_ \| |/ / phone: +49 721 9652 211
Vincenz-Priessnitz-Str. 3        /  \| | | | | |   <  RIPE : SM25-RIPE
D-76131 Karlsruhe, Germany      /_/\_\_|_|_| |_|_|\_\ WWW.Xlink.net/~steffen

---

From: Shaya Potter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 09:23:57 -0400 (EDT)

> I'm getting a Matrox soon, a real speedster. Thanx for your time...

IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT

If you plan to continue to use XFree, then I hope you don't buy a matrox 
video card.  They do not work with XFree and probably never will.  

They don't give away the information on how to use their cards, so the 
only way XFree could use their cards would be if XFree signed a 
non-disclosure agreement with them, which is kind of hard when you give 
away the source code to your product.  

If you are willing to buy a commercail X server from X inside or Metro X then 
it shouldn't be a problem.  But then again you will have to install it by 
hand, because their is no debian package for it, and dpkg won't know 
about it.

What might be good for you, is that if someone ever comes up with a 
rpm --> deb utility, you can buy a redhat cd, from cheapbuytes for around 
$30-40 and it comes with Metro X.  But if you wan't to be able to get all 
the source code for your programs you are still stuck.

Hope this helps,

Shaya
--
Shaya Potter
[email-masked]

---

From: "Richard G. Roberto" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 13:25:10 -0400 (EDT)

> video card.  They do not work with XFree and probably never will.  

I'm not sure this is true.  What source gave you that
information?

> the source code for your programs you are still stuck.

Now I'm pretty sure this is not true.  Last time I checked,
redhat linux came with a beta version of the Metro X
software that was pretty buggy and very slow.  The same beta
was available from Metro X directly as well.  You don't have
to get it in .rpm format.  Accelerated X has a demo of their
server available too, and I don't think theirs is beta.

> Shaya

You may be right on both counts, but I'd still like to be
sure.  Please let us know.

Thanks

Richard G. Roberto
[email-masked]
201-739-2886 - whippany, nj

--
*******************************************************************************
Bear Stearns is not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, offer or
agreement or any information about any transaction, customer account or account
activity contained in this communication.
*******************************************************************************

---

From: Barry Hughes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 18:42:25 +0100 (BST)

>From experience Cirrus cards and chipsets work very well with XFree86, and
I would tend to recommend them.

>the source code for your programs you are still stuck.

Um, FYI Matroax *HAVE* now allowed the source code to be released, and the
drivers for their cards are being worked on, (at last) so, you can use
this to tell what card to get ;)

-Barry Hughes

-- 
Lord grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.The courage
to change the things I can.And the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people
               *I had to kill because they pissed me off*
webmaster					     URL: http://www.gpl.net
Genesis Project Ltd                                  voice:  +44-1232-560552 
Belfast, BT15 1AQ                                      fax:  +44-1232-560553 
Northern Ireland                                     email:  [email-masked]
           Bazza/Rakoth on DALnet, the best IRC network there is
                          irc.dal.net port 7000
                          http://www.bazza.com/

---

From: Shaya Potter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 15:26:36 -0400 (EDT)

> I'm not sure this is true.  What source gave you that
Put it this way, from what I have read on usenet, and have been told from 
friends who have called Matrox, they do not intend ever to give out the 
information needed to program their cards without a non-disclosure 
agreement.  However, they could do the samething Diamond did after many 
people complained to them about the practice and change their policy 
toward Linux.  But as I said before, Matrox seems pretty set in their 
ways right now.

> server available too, and I don't think theirs is beta.
This I didn't know.  However, is the demo of Accelerated X fully 
functioning, or is it really just a demo.

Shaya
--
Shaya Potter
[email-masked]

---

From: Shaya Potter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 15:38:50 -0400 (EDT)

> this to tell what card to get ;)

When did this happen?  I talked to a friend, just a couple of weeks ago, 
and he said he just talked to Matrox and they were pretty dead set 
against giving their support away like that.  However, if I am wrong I 
admit it, and apologize for the wrong advice I gave.

Shaya
--
Shaya Potter
[email-masked]

---

From: Barry Hughes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 22:02:22 +0100 (BST)

>admit it, and apologize for the wrong advice I gave.

Actually just last week, keep an eye on the various linux newsgroups and
you'll see the cool stuff like this :) but they definately are now letting
the stuff out, we just have to wait for the drivers to be written

-Barry Hughes

---

From: Dan Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 01:56:13 +0200

> admit it, and apologize for the wrong advice I gave.

Atleast so far you can't get a XFree accel'ed Xserver.. I and a friend
installed
debian on his machine and then we came to that conclution.. And running
Xwin
in 640x480x8bit isn't all that fun.. so we scrapped that project.. (for
a while
atleast...)

-- 
****************************************************************
*       Dan Bergman                                            *
*       [email-masked]                         *
*   http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/4052/                 *
*   http://home1.swipnet.se/~w-13736/                          *
*                                                              *
*   Lister: Love is what separates us from the animals.        *
*   Rimmer: No, Lister - what separates us from animals is     *
*    that we don't use our tongues to clean our genitals.      *
*                              Red Dwarf                       *
****************************************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (Dr A.C. Norman)
Date: 20 Aug 1996 00:10:27 GMT

While it is good news is Matrox are now releasing the details of their
millenium card and xfree86 will in due course support it, I can confirm
that the X-inside server installed VERY easily on a debian system
(regardless of lack of debian-specific package magic) and appears to
work quite well enough for me. Arthur
ps I hope somebody will post when there is a worthwhile testable beta of the
xfree for the millenium to try...