Subject: Math-Emu 1.22 on NexGen-90?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 1996 16:07:04 -0400 (EDT)

Howdy folks!

I've been experiencing a problem booting newer kernels on a system
with a NexGen-90 processor.  This CPU does not have a FPU.  I've
configured *all* of my attempts with:

CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION=y

I've configured most of my attempts with:

CONFIG_M386=y
# CONFIG_M486 is not set
# CONFIG_M586 is not set
# CONFIG_M686 is not set

Using M486 or M586 get's me a Kernel Panic sooner in the boot process.
A PANIC is what I'm getting when I say Y to Math_Emu and M386.  The error
message (sorry haven't ever written it down...) says Panic: no mathemu.
or some-such.  It's as though I've *not* got the emulator code in the
kernel.

I'm not much of a C programmer - what little I did was 5-6 years ago -
but I have determined that kernel versions that include Math-emu 1.21 do
boot on this system, while those with 1.22 do not.  I did try putting
1.21 in the kernel's source-tree (2.0.10) but the build failed.  I wasn't
surprised.

I've heard it said that there exists an "easy" fix for this problem.
Can someone point me to it?  I've looked on the Web, starting at www.linux.org
and www.debian.org but have not been successful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Chuck

--
Chuck Stickelman, Owner			E-Mail:	<[email-masked]>
Practical Network Design		Voice:	(419) 529-3841
9 Chambers Road				FAX:	(419) 529-3625
Mansfield, OH 44906-1302 USA
--