Subject: Reorganizing linux.* hierachy

From: [email-masked] (Christoph Lameter)
Date: 28 Aug 1996 18:19:17 -0700

I think we should do the following.

1. Map all high traffic groups / mailing lists linux.xxx to
   comp.os.linux.*

2. reorganize the linux.* groups to throw obsolete things out.

3. Make all groups non-moderated. The current setup is a major
   speed problem.

Anyone who wants newsgroup access to linux.* right now is invited to 
access the newsserver news.fuller.edu.

---

From: [email-masked] (Miquel van Smoorenburg)
Date: 30 Aug 1996 00:58:12 +0200

In article <[email-masked]>,
>1. Map all high traffic groups / mailing lists linux.xxx to

No, *please* don't do this with, for example, linux.dev.kernel. It has
enough junk in it as it is; spreading this through all of usenet will make
the group useless. The real kernel hackers will find a new mailinglist
and use that instead (in fact that's already happening at the moment,
as I understand) and it will leave you with another group with lots of
traffic and no actual content.

>2. reorganize the linux.* groups to throw obsolete things out.

Some FAQ or document that says which groups exist and which are obsolete
would help; I would like to remove disfunctional groups on our newsserver
ASAP.

>3. Make all groups non-moderated. The current setup is a major

Remember linux.* is really a gateway to a mailing list. BTW, do you
have your moderators file set up right? When I post something in linux.*,
it shows up on our news server within a matter of _minutes_. You do have
"linux.*:[email-masked]" in your moderators file, right?

Mike.
-- 
+   Miquel van Smoorenburg   + Cistron Internet Services +  Living is a     |
|  [email-masked] (SP6)  | Independent Dutch ISP     |   horizontal     |
+ [email-masked] + http://www.cistron.nl/    +      fall        +

---

From: [email-masked] (Christoph Lameter)
Date: 30 Aug 1996 06:53:18 -0700

Miquel van Smoorenburg ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]>,
: Christoph Lameter <[email-masked]> wrote:
: >I think we should do the following.
: >
: >1. Map all high traffic groups / mailing lists linux.xxx to
: >   comp.os.linux.*
: 
: No, *please* don't do this with, for example, linux.dev.kernel. It has
: enough junk in it as it is; spreading this through all of usenet will make
: the group useless. The real kernel hackers will find a new mailinglist
: and use that instead (in fact that's already happening at the moment,
: as I understand) and it will leave you with another group with lots of
: traffic and no actual content.
It has content even if the "real kernel hackers" find other ways of discussing
the issues. The group is appearently needed otherwise it would not have that
high a volume. You cannot avoid junk.
: 
: >2. reorganize the linux.* groups to throw obsolete things out.
: 
: Some FAQ or document that says which groups exist and which are obsolete
: would help; I would like to remove disfunctional groups on our newsserver
: ASAP.
That would be nice.
: 
: >3. Make all groups non-moderated. The current setup is a major
: >   speed problem.
: 
: Remember linux.* is really a gateway to a mailing list. BTW, do you
: have your moderators file set up right? When I post something in linux.*,
: it shows up on our news server within a matter of _minutes_. You do have
: "linux.*:[email-masked]" in your moderators file, right?
Exactly. And I have had repeatedly problems with that host rejecting e-mail and
delaying delivery for hours. I have never had a message show up within
minutes. 
The reason for the delays might also be my NNTP access.
Is there any location I can draw a faster NNTP feed for linux.* from?
I currently get linux.* via PSI.

---

From: [email-masked] (Miquel van Smoorenburg)
Date: 31 Aug 1996 21:36:52 +0200

In article <[email-masked]>,
>high a volume. You cannot avoid junk.

But you can try to avoid having too much groups around; the equivalent
of linux.dev.kernel _is_ comp.os.linux.development.system. What now
happens on linux.dev.kernel used to go on on colds, until most real
developers moved away from it (for a reason..). You don't want to have
someone asking how to use "Z" modem if he has a "Hayes" modem in
linux.dev.kernel ;)

This point comes up every once in a while; eventually after a lot
of discussion it is decided that creating extra newsgroups under c.o.l
is a bad idea (I think it wouldn't get through the RFD either)

>I currently get linux.* via PSI.

Ah. We get it from ratatosk.yggdrasil.com directly, that might explain
the difference. If you're a few hops away and the hosts in between run
innxmit every hour or so a delay of a couple of hours is not unusual.
But making the groups unmoderated is not going to change that in any way.
It just shows up on your _local_ site immideately.

Perhaps you can find out (through the Path: header) who the intermideate
sites are, and try to get a feed from a host higher up in the hierarchy.
It would be even nicer if they'd use nntplink or innfeed, then you would
have almost no delay at all.

Mike.