Subject: Installing Linux over a LAN

From: [email-masked]
Date: 11 Aug 1996 03:15:04 GMT

Is it possible to install Linux over an ethernet Lan?

I have two computers at home which I hope to connect together 
into a mini-Lan. 

The first computer is a notebook with an ethernet card.

The second computer does not have an monitor, it has a cpu, ram, 
hard-drive, floppy drive, and ethernet card.

Does anyone know if there some way I can boot the second computer 
from it's floppy, and use the screen and keyboard on the notebook 
to interact with and install Linux on computer 2?

thanks

Alan

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Perens)
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 96 22:43 PDT

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
> When I installed Debian 2 days ago, I was wishing that instead of the 3
> "base" floppies, it could at least use a .tar.gz file containing
> the same stuff somewhere on an existing ext2 partition. A small change (?)
> like that would make the install a lot easier.

It will look for /*/base1_1.tgz and /*/*/base1_1.tgz when it goes to
install the base archive. base1_1.tgz is in the same directory as the
boot floppy images on the FTP server, and is a gzip-compressed tar
archive. You can mount a disk containing it before selecting "install
the base system", or you can boot with a CD or disk cartrige root
containing it. If it finds base1_1.tgz, it will not ask for the 3 base
floppies.

	Thanks

	Bruce