Subject: Re: NFS trouble

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 20:07:18 -0400 (EDT)

Sherwood,

>> I keep getting the following message when trying to NFS mount any of the
>> exported filesystems.
>> 
>> 	mount clntupd_create: RPC: Program not registered
>> 
>
>Check that on the nfs server that mountd is running. This one is usually
>NOT started from inetd but instead is started from one of the rc files
>

Thanks!  I think you're right!  Just got your repsonse, and looked, and no
mountd...There are four nfsiod's running, but no mountd.  Also, I tried the
old Debian 0.93R6 last nite, and it still works with that system, so this is 
probably it.  

Thanks alot for your answer!
Paul

PS: My distribution came from I-Connect; the CD was cut on Jun 16.  Your
    suggestion led me to the problem; thanks again.  I found all the lines
    that execute the daemons commented out in the script in /init.d.  The
    script was there, and being called on entry to runlevel 2 by the link
    S25netstd_nfs, but all the daemons were not executed by init because
    they were all commented out!

---

From: "Scott J. Geertgens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 08:17:57 -0600 (MDT)

> >NOT started from inetd but instead is started from one of the rc files

   I realize this is most likely the correct answer, but I will add
another solution just for the sake of completeness. At one point I _did_
have all the correct daemons running (nfsd, mountd), and still came up
with this error. It turned out that I had fiddled around with
/etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny too much and shut off nearly
everything. This generates the same error as not having mountd running.
Wonderfully descriptive :)

                             SJG

---

From: Lindsay Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 16:57:39 +0800 (WST)

> Wonderfully descriptive :)

My 2 cents' worth on this one is that my (new) system had full NFS
capability until I installed the netstd package, at which point I got the
above message. 

Poking around showed that /etc/init.d/netstd__nfs had all 5 of the _start_
lines commented out.  I am a Unix dumbkov but uncommenting the nsfd and
mountd lines got things going again.  This may not be the way to fix it.

HTH

Lindsay

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 20:40:35 -0400 (EDT)

>mountd lines got things going again.  This may not be the way to fix it.
That is precisely what my problem was also!!!!  None of the daemons were
started 'cause they were all commented out............

Paul