Subject: Sob!

From: [email-masked] (Tim 'The Unslept' Sailer)
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 12:10:56 -0400 (EDT)

Here I thought that last night (Fri) I was gonna get my system out of
the stone age (ISA 486-50) and into the bronze age (PCI 486-133)..
I believe I *hate* Adaptek 2940 controllers.... :( The old system
had a 1542b... everything worked fine. I recompiled the 2.0.11 to
include the aic7xxx drivers and the PCI support, swapped everything 
over, watched as the system booted, and watched the errors scroll
across the screen... :( I'm getting alternating (abort_reset) and
Warning-No command for SCB0 messages. I've never gotten the system
to get past trying to mount the partitions.

Does *anyone* have a clue as to what could be wrong? I'm back up
on the old system now, but would really like to see the 2940 and the
Stealth64 running...

Tim

-- 
 (work) [email-masked] / (home) [email-masked] - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
              "Paranoia is a heightened state of awareness."
  -- Anon
** Disclaimer: My views/comments/beliefs, as strange as they are, are my own.**

---

From: Craig Sanders <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 09:08:55 +1000 (EST)

On Sat, 10 Aug 1996, Tim 'The Unslept' Sailer wrote:

> I recompiled the 2.0.11 to include the aic7xxx drivers and the PCI
> support, swapped everything over, watched as the system booted, and
> watched the errors scroll across the screen... [...deleted...]
>
> Does *anyone* have a clue as to what could be wrong? I'm back up on
> the old system now, but would really like to see the 2940 and the
> Stealth64 running...

my machine at work is a p100 with a trio64 card and an adaptec 2940W.
It works fine, and has worked fine since I installed it (about 8 weeks
ago).  it currently has about 7 gig of scsi disk space.

i remember reading in the documentation for the motherboard that with
some combinations of pci cards (including some graphics & some scsi
cards) that you had to set certain m/b jumpers and put the pci cards in
specific slots.

check your hardware manuals to see if your m/b has any similar caveats.

if that fails, try it with a different graphics card (an old ISA bus
card if you have one lying around)...

Craig