Subject: vfat/msdos depend on fat

From: Hamish Moffatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 20:08:06 +1000 (EST)

I compiled a custom kernel last night, and made fat, msdos and vfat all
modules. msdos and vfat depend on fat to operate, and it seems that
/etc/modules gets processed later than mounting all file systems;
vfat gets inserted before fat, and hence doesn't work. I notice that
the precompiled Debian kernel compiles FAT support in, not as a module.

Is there any way to fix this for me besides recompiling the kernel?

Also, is a package of a later kernel [2.0.13 for example] in the works,
with NFS fixed? I'm back with 2.0.0 now because I need NFS.

thanks,
Hamish

---

From: Michael Meskes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 13:26:42 +0200 (MET DST)

> /etc/modules gets processed later than mounting all file systems;

That's what the auto option is for.

> the precompiled Debian kernel compiles FAT support in, not as a module.

Ah, please upgrade to modules_2.0.0-8. There's is a bug in depmod in version
-6 and -7. Unfortunately -8 is still in incoming, but you can get it from
feivel.informatik.rwth-aachen.de:/pub/debian.incoming.

Michael

-- 
Michael Meskes                   |    _____ ________ __  ____
[email-masked] |   / ___// ____/ // / / __ \___  __________
[email-masked]                  |   \__ \/ /_  / // /_/ /_/ / _ \/ ___/ ___/
[email-masked]                |  ___/ / __/ /__  __/\__, /  __/ /  (__  )
Use Debian Linux!                | /____/_/      /_/  /____/\___/_/  /____/

---

From: Jean Orloff <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 16:43:45 +0200

>> /etc/modules gets processed later than mounting all file systems;

 Michael> That's what the auto option is for.

 >> vfat gets inserted before fat, and hence doesn't work. I notice that the
 >> precompiled Debian kernel compiles FAT support in, not as a module.

 Michael> Ah, please upgrade to modules_2.0.0-8. There's is a bug in depmod in
 Michael> version -6 and -7. Unfortunately -8 is still in incoming, but you can
 Michael> get it from feivel.informatik.rwth-aachen.de:/pub/debian.incoming.

Thanks to both of you! I have the same problem and didn't dare to ask. 'will
report in case this doesn't work though. 

Since I'm there: `ps` is also broken in my custom 2.0.0 kernel. It complains
about being unable to find libproc.so. Any chance this may be cured at the same
time? I got into the trouble of making a custom kernel because of the PS/2
mouse problem amply mentionned before...

---

From: Michael Meskes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 09:09:38 +0200 (MET DST)

> mouse problem amply mentionned before...

Try re-installing the proc package. There may be a bug in the postinst.

Michael

---

From: Doug Federman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 22:00:43 -0400 (EDT)

> Try re-installing the proc package. There may be a bug in the postinst.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Douglas J. Federman, M.D.			Phone 419-381-4909
Medical College of Ohio 			Fax   419-382-0354
3000 Arlington Ave.				Email [email-masked]
Toledo, OH 43699