Subject: Re: mirror

From: Ricardo Kleemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 13:47:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hi!

First, thanks for the pointers... But I'm still having problems.
I've done an unpack and install on mirror-2.8-0.deb (that's the version 
that I have here for 0.93), but there's nothing under /etc/mirror (as a 
matter of fact, that directory didn't even exist). There's also no 
README.debian under /usr/doc/examples/mirror.

I've run into problems unpacking newer version packages into 0.93 because 
my system is a.out and has old libraries. As a matter of fact, I've 
actually killed some of my apps (like emacs, for example), because the 
unpack changes things before checking dependencies, it looks like. So 
I've killed some stuff by attempting to upgrade packages... :(

Where can I get sample copies of the mirror package "ftp.debian.org" and 
also the README for mirror?

Thanks,
Ricardo

On Fri, 2 Aug 1996 [email-masked] wrote:

> 
>   Ricardo> Here's the output:
>   Ricardo> TS1:/packages/debian# mirror -n -gsite:ftp.debian.org:/pub/linux/distributions/debian/stable/
> 
> The Debian package is set up to use the 2nd method of mirror invocation, ie
> 	mirror /etc/mirror/packages/ftp.debian.org
> 
>   Ricardo> not loading mirror.defaults
>            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 
> This happens when you call it with the  -gsite:  method. See the manpage.
> 
>   Ricardo> Scanning local directory .
>   Ricardo> Connecting to site:ftp.debian.org
>   Ricardo> Failed to connect
>   Ricardo> Pausing between retries
>   Ricardo> Cannot connect, skipping package
> 
> Check out some of the doc I provide with the package, for example
> 	/usr/doc/examples/mirror/README.debian
> 	/etc/mirror/packages/ftp.debian.org
> This example package file was created in December for the 0.93R6 structure on
> the Debian site, you will have to change it a bit. Read the manpage, and you
> will understand it all, I hope.
> 
> Best regards, Dirk
> 
>  
> -- 
> Dirk Eddelb"uttel                             http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 96 17:11 EDT

Ricardo>  Hi!  First, thanks for the pointers... But I'm still having
  Ricardo> problems.  I've done an unpack and install on mirror-2.8-0.deb
  Ricardo> (that's the version that I have here for 0.93), but there's
  Ricardo> nothing under /etc/mirror (as a matter of fact, that directory
  Ricardo> didn't even exist). There's also no README.debian under
  Ricardo> /usr/doc/examples/mirror.

I was referring to the newest mirror package, mirror-2.8-6.  As it's written
entirely in perl, this is an "Architecture: all" package so that you can
fetch it from
	Debian-1.1.3/binary-all/net/mirror-2.8-6.deb

That should work with 0.93R6, but you should update to Debian-1.1 as many,
many things have improved. See the "upgrades" directory for hints and notes.