Subject: Re: Cannot compile mouse support - help!

From: John Juergensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 20:49:00 -0500

Hi again all,

  This is a narrowing-down question to my earlier post.  What does it
mean when gpm gives me the following error message:

  gpm: /dev/inportbm: No such device

  The file /dev/inportbm clearly exists, it is character special (10,2) and
it does have appropriate ownership and permissions.  So what does the error
"No such device" mean?

  Thanks.

-jj

---

From: Mark Eichin <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 Aug 1996 12:29:05 -0400

>it does have appropriate ownership and permissions.  So what does the error

"No such device" means that while the name exists in the filesystem,
the kernel doesn't have any idea what c/10/2 actually *is*. Perhaps
you don't have the needed support in the kernel, or the needed module
loaded?