Subject: Re: LILO vs LOADLIN (was Re: LILO and W95)

From: [email-masked] (Bernd Eckenfels)
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 1996 04:18:27 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

> The DOS+LOADLIN solution is in my opinion a very practical and safe one.
Yes, that is true. And I would suggest everyone who starts with Linux to use
this combination, if:

- he has a Dos system
- she doesnt need the additional boot password security
- has a minute more time

> I read 
> "much safer than LILO" somewhere and some time ago, but I cannot recall why nor 
> if it has changed with the last versions of LILO for which horror histories 
> abound. Anybody knows?

Well, with lilo you can mess up your configuration if you do it wrong. On
the other hand lilo is very flexible and supports the fanciest situations
(like booting dos from drive d:).

I'm just trying to upload a new lilo package. My auto config script is not
yet finished, o the upload is basically a new upstream version, until I'm
finisched with "liloconfig", which should help a little bit.

Greetings
Bernd