Subject: Anyone want xanim as a deb package

From: Shaya Potter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 12:35:44 -0400 (EDT)

I just got xanim compiled on my system with full for cinepack and indeo 
enconding, I also compiled in sound, but I have no idea if it works since 
I don't have a sound card on my linux box.  If anyone want it, I will try 
to put it together as a package.  It should be pretty easy just one file 
is neccesary to run it.  

Shaya Potter
[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Alan Dorman <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Aug 1996 09:19:17 -0400

> to put it together as a package.  It should be pretty easy just one file 

Please be sure to check on the redistributability of the cinepak and
indeo code---I'm not sure it can be redistributed _at all_, and I'm
fairly certain that it would have to go in non-free.

Which isn't to say I wouldn't like to see the package---just that this
is one that probably needs all its proverbial ts crossed and is dotted.

Mike.

---

From: Shaya Potter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 16:34:16 -0400 (EDT)

> is one that probably needs all its proverbial ts crossed and is dotted.
I talked to Mark Podlipec, the author, and he said that there should be 
no problem of just giving the binary away, the only problem is if you 
give away the .o files that you download form Mark's ftp site and compile 
in.  If I were to give those away I would have to distribute the copyright 
notices also.  

However, it still has to be in the non-free section because Mark's copyright 
says that only non-commercial use is permitted.

I will include the copyright notices for all the included software 
though, to be on the safe side, even though Mark said it isn't neccessary.

Shaya
--
Shaya Potter
[email-masked]

---

From: "Larry 'Daffy' Daffner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 19:26:27 -0500

Michael Alan Dorman writes:
-> Shaya Potter <[email-masked]> writes:
-> 
-> > I just got xanim compiled on my system with full for cinepack and indeo 
-> > enconding, I also compiled in sound, but I have no idea if it works since 
-> > I don't have a sound card on my linux box.  If anyone want it, I will try 
-> > to put it together as a package.  It should be pretty easy just one file 
-> > is neccesary to run it.  
-> 
-> Please be sure to check on the redistributability of the cinepak and
-> indeo code---I'm not sure it can be redistributed _at all_, and I'm
-> fairly certain that it would have to go in non-free.

xanim compiled with the cinepack and indeo codecs would almost
certainly have to go in as non-free.  As a matter of fact, the
cinepack and indeo codecs are not distributed as source, but as object
files.  Not sure what the 'rules' are regarding that.

-Larry

--
  Larry Daffner        |  Linux: Unleash the workstation in your PC!
  [email-masked] / http://web2.airmail.net/vizzie/
"I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to
 waste any of mine running around doing exercises."  --Neil Armstrong