Subject: Re: "Netiquette" of requesting package updates

From: Mr Stuart Lamble <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 11:09:24 +1000 (EST)

Brian C. White wrote:
: >> I spend close
: >> to 50% of my Linux time using two programs, an editor and
: >> a WWW browser, and in both cases the current Debian version
: >> is several months out of date.

[...]

: I was being purposely vague because I didn't want to single anyone
: out, but no, they're both popular text-only programs. One of
: them is behind by a minor version, the other by a major +  2 minors.

If you're referring to "vim" in the latter case, I chose not to package
vim 4.2 (leaving the current version at 3.0) because it has the restriction
that, if it's put on a CD-ROM, you must send the author a copy of the CD.
I have contacted the author, and he has indicated that 4.3 will not have
this restriction; when it comes out, I'll package it up.

Just to let you know that I'm well aware of the situation. :-)

If I get enough hate mail, I'll package it up and stick it in non-free,
but I don't particularly want to do this.

Oh, and in case earlier versions didn't have this restriction - I only
recently took over maintaining vim. :-)

-- 
Windows is not the answer. Windows is the question. Linux is the answer.
http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/ for all your PC software requirements.