Subject: Three Probs

From: Me <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 13:50:17 -0600

I have everything running but two things didn't work out. 
My root login, well I don't have one. When I boot from LILO I go
straight to linux without going into a login and password prompt. I am
the user root. I would like to have a root login and personal login just
to save my machine from its user mainly me.

Also I can't use my mouse pad (Linux is on my laptop) without linux
locking up. I have to suspend the computer then come back into it for
things to work again. Is there a way to tell Linux to ignore output from
the mouse pad.

One more thing how do I make sure I have the most recent version of
everything. Web base, ftp doc? I know about ftp.debain.com/buzz but do I
have to install things from /fixes too.

Thanks

Marcus Hightower

---

From: "Susan G. Kleinmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 19:07:32 -0400

Hi Marcus --

You asked:
> the user root. 

It's hard to see how this happened.  In any case, if even root isn't
asked to log in, then add this line to /etc/passwd:

root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

Then (as root) execute the command

passwd                 <- really.  Don't execute "password".

Then, when you are prompted, specify a new password.

>I would like to have a root login and personal login just
In order to set yourself up as a user, you need to execute the
command (as root)

adduser your_user_name

You will be asked for some information, just respond as required.

> things to work again. Is there a way to tell Linux to ignore output from

More information is needed to diagnose this I think.  
Are you using X?  gpm?  

> have to install things from /fixes too.

Well, you should get the files in buzz-fixed.  They were put there to
upgrade bugs, not to provide enhance functionality (that kind of 
improvement will come in the next Debian release).

OTOH, it sounds as if you have some exploring to do.  You might want
to stick with what you've got -- if you can get it working to your 
satisfaction -- since Debian 1.2 should be out in only a couple of months.

Good luck,
Susan Kleinmann