Subject: can't open xconsole

From: Ken Gaugler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 13:45:43 -0700

Hello folks.

I am having a strange problem trying to have an xconsole window
working under my own login.  I use a .xsession file to set up
certain windows and apps I like to have available when I log in.

Seems that because I have this .xsession file in there, I cannot
get an xconsole window to work.  The window comes up, but in the
window is the message "Couldn't open console".  If I remove the
.xsession file, the xconsole comes up fine.  Here is the important
stuff from the .xsession file:

#!bin/bash
DISPLAY=:0.0
export DISPLAY
xconsole -g 490x200-20-50 &
...

Has anyone else encountered and solved this problem?  A kind reader of
this group suggested I might need to define and export the DISPLAY
variable in my .bashrc, which I plan to try ASAP.  Any other ideas
out there?

TIA!

---
Key fingerprint =  D6 A7 D7 8C 92 CB 42 FD  60 D5 62 1C D7 B9 EA 8E 
Ken Gaugler  N6OSK         Hybrid Networks, Inc.  Cupertino, Calif.
URL: www.hybrid.com (home: [email-masked]  URL: users.aimnet.com/~keng)
"The life of a Repo Man is ALWAYS INTENSE..."

---

From: Dominik Kubla <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 15:51:52 +0200

>>>>> Ken Gaugler writes:

> Hello folks.  I am having a strange problem trying to have an
> xconsole window working under my own login.  I use a .xsession file
> to set up certain windows and apps I like to have available when I
> log in.

Look at /dev/console. On a stock system it should be a symbolic link
pointing to /dev/tty0. Systems with serial console have it pointing to
the serial device and xconsole does not like that ...

Dominik