Subject: Re: dpkg-ftp or installing via FTP

From: Ricardo Kleemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 14:00:23 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks!

I've actually tried running dselect with ftp, but it didn't work. 

It looks like my version of perl may have some problems as can be seen in 
the error messages below. Since I'm still using Debian-0.93 and am trying 
to upgrade, I'm not sure how to upgrade perl because all the packages in 
the ftp site are newer packages dependent on newer libcs, etc.

I choose ftp under dselect, this is what I get:

Socket 1.3 required--this is only version (undef) at /usr/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp/perl/Net/FTP.pm line 41
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp/perl/Net/FTP.pm line 41.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp/setup line 8.
 
query/setup script returned error exit status 2.

Any ideas/suggestions??

Ricardo

On Fri, 2 Aug 1996, Michael Karafotis wrote:

> I always take the easy way out and run dselect .. then select my method
> from there.  It is quite nice .. set to ftp then select the server and
> packages you want.
> 
> Enjoy,
> Michael
>

---

From: "Susan G. Kleinmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 1996 06:52:28 -0400

[To those who will get this message twice, my apologies; nonetheless, I
think this is worth bringing to the attention of the developers.]

Hi Ricardo --

You said:
> the error messages below. 

If you are really having a chicken-and-egg problem (need dselect + dpkg-ftp
to upgrade, but can't use dselect + dpkg-ftp without having upgraded), then
I believe the project needs to make a note of that on the FTP sites.

Meanwhile, my only suggestion for you is that you use the instructions
in upgrade_manual.doc (this text file is found in the directory 
"upgrades" at any debian mirror).

Good luck,
Susan Kleinmann

---

From: "Susan G. Kleinmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 1996 06:52:28 -0400

Hi Ricardo --

Good luck,
Susan Kleinmann