Subject: anybody seen this?

From: Brian K Servis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 07:56:05 -0500 (EST)

Just thought I would start here to see if I can find a solution.  I
have a Micron PCI Pentium-90 PNP system with the EIDE controllers on
the mother board.  On the primary controller I have two 1.2G Western
Digital HD's.  The master is partitioned into 2 drives all for
Win95. The slave is partitioned into 2 drives for Debian, swap and
everything else(it is a home machine).  I have a EIDE CD-ROM on the
secondary controller.  Here is the situation/problem.  If I am in
Debian and then warm boot into Win95, Win95 forgets about my CD-ROM
drive.  I have to cold boot the machine to get it back.  I have it set
as G: just in case Win95 is trying to assign the linux partitions, it
knows the second drive is there.  I am using  LILO to boot manage and
have Win95 as the default(other non-linux family members use it).

I think this is kind of a catch 22 situation.  The Linux folks will
tell me to look at the Win95 side of it and the Win95 folks will tell
me to look at the Linux side of it.

Any pointers?

Thanks

Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering
Purdue University
[email-masked]
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis

---

From: "Carlo U. Segre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 12:48:20 -0500 (CDT)

> have Win95 as the default(other non-linux family members use it).

Your problem might be with the way Windows95 is set up.  I had a problem 
with Windows95 and a Hitachi CDROM on the second controller.  Windows95 
would not recognize it unless I changed the driver to the standard IDE 
controller as opposed to the bus-mastering controller.  The hard disks 
work fine with the bus-mastering controller on the primary interface.  
The fix is to go into the registry editor and work your way to:

MyComputer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\hdc

This will contain 4 entries

Entry 0000 is always set to the "Standard IDE/ESDI hard Disk Controller"

Entry 0001 describes the overall dual port IDE controller and is probably 
set to something like "Intel 82371FB Bus Master IDE Controllers"

Entry 0002 is the setting for the primary interface and is probably set to 
the following:
	Devloader:	*IOS
	DriverDesc:	"Primary Bus Master IDE Controller"
	InfPath:	IDEATAPI.INF
	InfSection:	BMIDE_Child
	PortDriver:	ideatapi.mpd

Entry 0003 will probably be set up exactly as 0002 but I have changed it 
as follows to accomodate the CDROM problem:
	DevLoader:	*IOS
	DriverDesc:	"Standard IDE/ESDI Hard Disk Controller"
	InfPath:	IDEATAPI.INF
	InfSection:	BMIDE_Child
	PortDriver:	ESDI_506.pdr

This fix has solved my problem and it might be that you are seeing the 
same kind of effect when you warm boot, since Linux handles the CDROM 
with no problems at all times.  The only difference is that on a cold 
boot to Windows95, the CDROM was never visible before the change.

Cheers,

Carlo

    ***********************************************************************
    *                            Carlo U. Segre                           *
    *      Department of Biological, Chemical and Physical Sciences       *
    *        Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL 60616          *
    *   Voice: (312) 567-3498                      FAX: (312) 567-3494    *
    *                      [email-masked]                      *
    ***********************************************************************