Subject: problems with P-120

From: C M Marka <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 21:56:42 +0000 (MET)

Three weeks ago I finally got Debian Linux 1.1 up and running rock solid on
my 486 DX4-100. Well, a week ago I upgraded to Pentium and couldn't wait to
see Linux performance boot, but... Continuous *random* crashes. I thought I'd
re-install, but the installation broke as well... for many times. When I got
through the installation (once), the thing broke while setting the root pass-
word. The crashes are trully random, the only thing I noticed is that it
always breaks when HD is accessed. I thought it was because the partition
was above the 528 Mb limit, then I moved it down, but nothing changed.
Here's my setup:

CPU: Intel Pentium 120 MHz
m/b chipset: Intel 430FX (Triton)
BIOS: Award 4.51PG with Pnp extension 1.0A
HDD: WD Caviar AC21200

I never heard of Triton related problems with Linux, actually the 486 I had
before had buggy CMD 640B and I got past that, but now... Maybe it's PnP BIOS
or some other weird BIOS Setup setting or maybe it's that my HDD is set to
LBA mode... Or maybe it's something in the Debian Linux configuration? I 
tried both versions that install kernel 2.0.0 and 2.0.6, both break. I 
installed from floppies BTW.

Please help me, I got the taste with the 486 and now I want a full 
satisfaction with my Pentium. I love Linux. I've downloaded LOADS of stuff
ready to be installed, just need to get the base system running... 

*PLEASE* write to me directly as I am not subscribed to the list.
Please help me if you have experienced similar problems. Is my hardware 
defective? Windows and DOS run well (as well as Win and DOS can run anyway).
I know people are very friendly on this list, last time someone mailed me
the kernel with CMD 640 support the very next day. PLEASE HELP ME, I REALLY
WANT LINUX....

Martynas