Subject: Re: Help needed using Sun 'automount' map with Debian's amd.

From: Dominik Kubla <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 15:30:33 +0200

Look at /usr/doc/amd there is a (untested!) script to convert automount to
amd maps.

Dominik Kubla
(Maintainer)

---

From: Christian Hudon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 08:48:07 -0700 (PDT)

We have a Sun lab where all the home directories are automounted using
Sun's 'automount' command. Now we're adding 20 Debian boxes to this lab.

The home directories are all 'automounted' under /home/users (so user
'foo' has home dir /home/users/foo). Where to get each home dir is
described by the NIS map 'auto.home'. Entries in the map look like this:

foo	orion.ee.mcgill.ca:/.home.9/&

where user 'foo' is the NIS key for the map and
'orion.ee.mcgill.ca:/.home.9' is where foo's home dir is located.

How do I get amd to work with that setup?

Please help... We need to get this working... and we need it bad.

  Christian

---

From: Christian Hudon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 10:26:27 -0700 (PDT)

> Look at /usr/doc/amd there is a (untested!) script to convert automount to

Err. doesn't seem to be in my /usr/doc/amd:

sysadmin@chloe:[/usr/doc/amd] #ls -la
total 5
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root         1024 Jun 13 09:37 ./
drwxr-xr-x 105 root     root         3072 Aug  2 13:50 ../
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          635 May 18 16:31 KNOWN_BUGS

sysadmin@chloe:[/usr/doc/amd] #dpkg -l amd
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
| Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err:
uppercase=bad)
||/ Name            Version        Description
+++-===============-==============-============================================
ii  amd             upl102-3       The 4.4BSD automounter.

... And 'upl102-3' is the most recent version on ftp.debian.org (and
there's no amd waiting in Incoming). A script would nice... what would
have been nicer is if they had been compatible with each other. But hey,
this is Unix. They *had* to be incompatible, just for the princple of the
thing. <sigh>

Btw, could explain to me the format of amd's map... The manpage isn't very
verbose on the topic:

       Lookups within the speci
       fied directories are handled by amd, which  uses  the  map
       defined by mapname to determine how to resolve the lookup.
       Generally, this will  be  a  host  name,  some  filesystem
       information  and some mount options for the given filesys
       tem.

The last sentence is all we get for a description of the format. (In fact
I'm very much tempted to file that as a bug against amd. Can I? :-) ) It's
a bit like saying the fstab format is a "generally a device, a mount point
and some mount options"... *not* good enough if you've never seen a fstab. 

 Thanks in advance for your help...

     Christian

---

From: Dominik Kubla <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 1996 13:42:40 +0200

> Err. doesn't seem to be in my /usr/doc/amd:

Ah, silly me. That should have been /usr/doc/examples/amd ...

As for the documentation, try 'info amd'.

Yours,
  Dominik Kubla