Subject: using filter

From: Shaya Potter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 17:12:44 -0400 (EDT)

How could I use filter to filter the mail from mailing lists (such as 
this one) into different folders.  The only thing, I could think of is if 
there would be a way to do it based on the CC: line, but I didn't see an 
option in there to do filter based on the CC: line.  

Also, I was wondering if it is possible to filter the mail, and forward 
it to anoter computer.  i.e. I want it stored on one machine, but also 
sent to the machine I read my mail on, just in case something happens to 
my machine.

One more thing, has anyone had pgp and pine work well together.  Elm 
works great with pgp, but I prefer pine.

Thanks,

Shaya Potter
[email-masked]

---

From: Vatiainen Heikki <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 10:41:39 +0300

I use procmail for this. There are also other mail filtering programs but I 
have no experience of them. There is also a FAQ about filtering mail and it 
can be found from http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/mail/top.h
tml

> this one) into different folders.  The only thing, I could think of is if 
[snip]

The second example of procmailex (5) man page does this.

-- 
Heikki Vatiainen                  * [email-masked]
Tampere University of Technology  * http://www.cs.tut.fi/~hessu/
Tampere, Finland

---

From: Ed Donovan <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Aug 1996 18:58:46 -0400

Shaya - 

I hate to badmouth, (can that be used intransitively?) but, since the
mail filtering faq's been mentioned, I'll quote it on the topic of
filter:

"IMPORTANT NOTE
==============
If your system has both procmail and filter installed then you should
use procmail which is *much* more robust and powerful than filter.  This
recommendation is almost universal; even the developers of Elm and
Filter recommend procmail over filter.  IT IS POSSIBLE TO LOSE MAIL
MESSAGES WHEN USING FILTER; this is rare but it has happened."

I'm not sure why they leave filter out there, then, but...

If you've already assessed this situation, then excuse me.

-- 

Ed Donovan			[email-masked]

---

From: Shaya Potter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 09:55:54 -0400 (EDT)

I know about the problems with filter, and that is why I am using 
procmail on my linux box.  However, I don't wan't to be e-mailed directly 
to it, because it is not always here.  On the machine I get my 
mail, the only filtering tool they have is filter.  Therefore, I had hoped 
that since filter was a package in the distribution, some one out there 
might have experience with it.

Thanks,

Shaya
--
Shaya Potter
[email-masked]

---

From: Nick Busigin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 10:39:28 -0400 (EDT)

> sent to the machine I read my mail on, just in case something happens to 

Why not look at using procmail as a mail filter.  It can do everything
that you have mentioned above. 

Best regards,

                                     Nick

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nick Busigin                                                [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------