Subject: Problems with X-windows Install

From: "Walter A. Birriel-Calas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 15:49:28 -0400

Has everyone been able to install x-windows with little pain?  I have 
been trying to install x-windows for the last 3 weeks.  Whenever I 
dselect xserver, etc, etc and select install it follows the entire setup 
procedure when it has completed all the steps it says that it's missing 
elf###### package.  I have searched for a package that looks anything 
like this and I can't find it.

I would greatly appreciate any information regarding this error.

Walter A. Birriel
[email-masked]

---

From: "Susan G. Kleinmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 17:45:03 -0400

Hi Walter --

> like this and I can't find it.

It sounds as if the missing package is elf-x11r6lib.  That library is one
of 3 libraries provided by the package xlib.  You can tell if you've got
xlib installed by issuing the command:
   dpkg -l xlib

You'll need several other packages to make X work also:
xbase
xserver-<whatever_is_right_for_your_video_card>, e.g., xserver-s3 for
   most Diamond cards
xfntbase
and possibly some other xfnt files (I just load all of them)

and one of the window managers:  either twm (this is provided by
xbase, so you needn'e load a new package), fvwm, fvwm2, 9wm, or gwm.
I use fvwm, but am meaning to migrate to fvwm2.  I think one of these
is the most popular in the Debian world.

If you need more help than this, just send me private email.  I'll be
happy to help.

Good luck,
Susan Kleinmann