Subject: XServer for ET4000/W32p hangs!!

From: Mark Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 14:27:47 +1000

Hi,

I have a friend who I am trying to help install debian 1.1.  He has an
ET4000/W32p graphics card.  I installed the appropriate server, went
through the xbase-configure program to create an XF86Config file, and
then ran "X -probeonly 2> out.txt" to try and get a clock line.  The
system just hung and I had to do a Ctr-Alt-Del to get out.

I couldn't work out what the problem was.  Any ideas?  I include the
out.txt file below.

Thanks,

Mark Phillips.  ([email-masked])

XFree86 Version 3.1.2 / X Window System
(protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6001)
Operating System: Linux
Configured drivers:
  ET4000W32: accelerated server for ET4000W32 graphics adaptors
(Patchlevel 0):
      et4000w32, et4000w32i, et4000w32p_rev_a, et4000w32i_rev_b,
      et4000w32i_rev_c, et4000w32p_rev_b, et4000w32p_rev_c,
      et4000w32p_rev_d
(using VT number 7)

XF86Config: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config
(**) stands for supplied, (--) stands for probed/default values
(**) Mouse: type: Microsoft, device: /dev/cua1, baudrate: 1200
(**) ET4000W32: Graphics device ID: "Hashem's Video Card"
 There are 11 lines left (71%). Press <space> for more, or 'i' to
return.
Message 4/476  From Hashem Najafi
  Page 2

(**) ET4000W32: Graphics device ID: "Hashem's Video Card"
(**) ET4000W32: Monitor ID: "Hashem's Monitor"
(--) ET4000W32: Mode "1280x1024" needs hsync freq of 64.25 kHz.
Deleted.
(--) ET4000W32: Mode "1280x1024" needs hsync freq of 78.86 kHz.
Deleted.
(--) ET4000W32: Mode "1280x1024" needs hsync freq of 81.13 kHz.
Deleted.
Warning: The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/" does not
exist.
         Entry deleted from font path.
Warning: The directory "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/" does not
exist.
         Entry deleted from font path.
(**) FontPath set to
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75
dpi/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
(--) ET4000W32: ET4000: Initial hibit state: low

---

From: Syrus Nemat-Nasser <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 22:16:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, Mark Phillips wrote:

> >On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Mark Phillips wrote:
> >
> >There are many problems with the ET4000/W32 cards.  You can try a beta
> >version from XFREE or try my solution--replace the card with one that
> >works under the present XFREE86 distribution.
> 
> Hmm, I thought it was supposed to work.  Anyway, what cards would you
> recommend as being good and reliable, working well under the present
> XFree86?

I have used several versions of the Diamond Stealth 64 cards.  I replaced
a Stealth 32 (ET4000) with a Stealth 64 (S3 868 with 2M VRAM).  I use a
VLB Stealth 64 864 DRAM at home.  I've also used the PCI version of the
Stealth 64 DRAM with the Trios64 chipset at work--this one is now selling
locally for as little as $77 in San Diego.  The problem with Diamond is
that they change their hardware versions almost every month, but all of
the above work well and are accelerated with the S3 sever.  I think it is
probably possible to do better and/or go cheaper, but I've stuck with
these cards on all of my machines.

I spent about a day trying to get the W32 server to work with that Stealth
32.  That was several months back.  I read the postings on the Linux news
groups and found that people were having limited success with the beta
versions of XFREE, but they could not even get more than 256 colors.  That's
when I decided to swap the card with someone at work who doen't run Linux.

Good luck.

Syrus.

----------------------------------------------------------
Syrus Nemat-Nasser <[email-masked]>    UCSD Physics Dept.

---

From: Mark Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 09:27:34 +1000

Thanks,

Mark.

---

From: Syrus Nemat-Nasser <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 10:41:52 -0700 (PDT)

Syrus.