Subject: StarOffice under Debian

From: [email-masked] (Christoph Lameter)
Date: 17 Aug 1996 21:14:08 -0700

Is anyone running StarOffice under Debian?

If so how and where did you get the Motif Libraries?

---

From: Shaya Potter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 09:38:17 -0400 (EDT)

> If so how and where did you get the Motif Libraries?
I haven't got it running yet,(I have heard that right now it is very buggy) 
but supposdly they include a large set of Motif2.0 in one of the shared 
libraries they include in the program, so all you have to do is install 
it (w/ the StarInst script, I have it if anyone needs it)  and then copy 
the shared library to /usr/X11R6/lib and rename libXm.so.2 and you should 
be fine.  Another way that suppodly works is to get LessTif, but that 
never worked for me because I wasn't able to get ldconfig to recognize 
libXm when I renamed it from libXm.so.0 to libXm.so.2

If anyone knows why that didn't work, I'd appreciate some insight.

Hope this Helps,

Shaya
--
Shaya Potter
[email-masked]

---

From: Rolf Obrecht <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 11:15:29 +0200 (MET DST)

> it (w/ the StarInst script, I have it if anyone needs it)  and then copy 

Look at http://www.stardiv.de/download/sites/README.staroffice !

It tells you that StarOffice needs Motif2.0 Libs, which are _NOT_
included. You have to buy them for real money.

The guys at StarDivision are considering making a version with statically
linked Motif :) but "...cannot promise any release date for these 
versions..." :-(

Hope that helps
Rolf

---

From: Shaya Potter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 09:25:40 -0400 (EDT)

Do an 'nm' on libso312.so, it supposdly has a large amount of Motif 2.0 
inside it.

Shaya
--
Shaya Potter
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Bernd Eckenfels)
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 16:05:53 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

> linked Motif :) but "...cannot promise any release date for these 

I read some articles that it runs with lesstiff (well, at lest it starts
with it after some patching..) Sorry, can't rember the location of the page
about that topic.

Of course this software needs a high end PC to run. If you dont have 32MB
you will find yourself sleeping in front of the 'puter very often.

Greetings
Bernd

---

From: Shaya Potter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 16:06:17 -0400 (EDT)

AGH, I hate having to reply to my own messages.

I don't think it is livso312.so.  But I did try something else.  To 
install you have to use StarInst script, which is a perl script which 
will install Star Office. (can't use their installation -- need motif 
2.0)  You then make a link or copy any shared library to libXm.so.2 and 
you should be set.  If that doesn't work you can try using lesstif.  
lesstif 0.5 is very easy to compile.

Hope this helps,

Shaya
--
Shaya Potter
[email-masked]

---

From: "Christopher R. Hertel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 16:39:33 -0500

Can someone point me toward the FAQ or HOWTO that will explain the
issues with Motif?  Why is Motif hard to come by and what is Lesstif?

Thnax!

Chris -)-----

-- 
Christopher R. Hertel -)-----                   University of Minnesota
[email-masked]              Networking and Telecommunications Services

---

From: "James A. Robinson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 02:48:29 -0400

> issues with Motif?  Why is Motif hard to come by and what is Lesstif?

Motif is a set of "proprietary" libraries licensed by OSF.  So it
costs money to get them.  I've bought them for $99.00 at InfoMagic
(http://www.infomagic.com), but I've heard some people quote and
amazingly low price of $40.00.  Normally one sees them going for
$200.00 or so.

Lesstif is an attempt to duplicate the API of Motif, without using the
proprietary source code.  They want to allow anybody to compile and
run Motif programs using Lesstif.  Lesstif is free, and is put out by
the Hungry Programmers (http://www.hungry.com).  As far as I can tell,
it is still very unstable, and not usable for something like
StarOffice.  But others who have actually used it should speak up.

Jim

---

From: [email-masked] (J.H.M.Dassen)
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 13:05:10 +0200 (MDT)

> issues with Motif?

Please clarify what you mean by "the issues".

> Why is Motif hard to come by 

Because it is commercial software. You have to pay for it.
Several vendors sell Motif for Linux. See the "Linux Commercial HOWTO",
section "Product groups", subsection "X Windows related products" for 
details.

> and what is Lesstif?

Lesstif (http://www.hungry.com/products/) is a freeware clone of Motif
1.2. Once it is finished, you can use it to compile or run code that
requires Motif.

Hope this helps,
Ray
-- 
PATRIOTISM  A great British writer once said that if he had to choose 
between betraying his country and betraying a friend he hoped he would
have the decency to betray his country.                                      
- The Hipcrime Vocab by Chad C. Mulligan

---

From: Shaya Potter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 10:06:23 -0400 (EDT)

> issues with Motif?  Why is Motif hard to come by and what is Lesstif?

(Anybody should jump in here if I make a mistake)

Motif is a widget set made by the Open Software Foundation.  They then 
license out the right to the source code to different sources (they also 
have a seperate license to use the name "Motif").  Those sources include 
companies like HP, sun and others who then include motif in the regular 
operating system.  

For linux, where most people get it for free (or very cheaply) it is 
possible to get Motif through programs like MooTeeth, which is compiled 
from the Motif sources, but they haven't licensed the name so they can't 
call it Motif.  

Another project which is going on is the lesstif project.(less and mo, 
get it :) ). They want to provide a free library that is source code 
compatible with Motif 1.2.  i.e. you compile the libraries drop them in 
/usr/X11R6/lib and all programs that require Motif 1.2 will look and act 
the same as if they were using the real libraries.  So far the project 
looks very promising.  

Hope this clears things up.

Shaya
---
Shaya Potter
[email-masked]

---

From: "Larry 'Daffy' Daffner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 01:04:29 -0500

"James A. Robinson" writes:
-> 
-> > Can someone point me toward the FAQ or HOWTO that will explain the
-> > issues with Motif?  Why is Motif hard to come by and what is Lesstif?
-> 
-> Motif is a set of "proprietary" libraries licensed by OSF.  So it
-> costs money to get them.  I've bought them for $99.00 at InfoMagic
-> (http://www.infomagic.com), but I've heard some people quote and
-> amazingly low price of $40.00.  Normally one sees them going for
-> $200.00 or so.

To be more explicit, it's a proprietary implementation of an 'open'
API. The name 'Motif' is a trademark, and the actual code is
copyright, but the API is 'open'.  The going rate I've seen is
generally $99-$199.  The only way you might see it for $40 is if it's
the runtime package only (just the shared libs) as vendors have to pay
$40 for each development pachage they ship to OSF (Development package
is libs and header files - source is on the order of $15,000, I
think). If I understand the licencing correctly, the shared lib may be
shipped without the header files without charge, which would allow you
to use dynamically linked Motif programs, but not compile Motif apps
on your own.  I'm not a lawyer, so I could be wrong on this.

-> Lesstif is an attempt to duplicate the API of Motif, without using the
-> proprietary source code.  They want to allow anybody to compile and
-> run Motif programs using Lesstif.  Lesstif is free, and is put out by
-> the Hungry Programmers (http://www.hungry.com).  As far as I can tell,
-> it is still very unstable, and not usable for something like
-> StarOffice.  But others who have actually used it should speak up.

It's made lots of progress, and certain apps run OK with it.  However,
it's still not quite there yet for larger apps.

-Larry

--
  Larry Daffner        |  Linux: Unleash the workstation in your PC!
  [email-masked] / http://web2.airmail.net/vizzie/
C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot.  C++ makes it harder, but
  when you do, it blows away your whole leg.  -- Bjarne Stroustrup on C++