Subject: Installing Netscape with dpkg

From: Ken Gaugler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 08:58:34 -0700

Hello;

I have been getting lots of warning messages about the nls directory
and about XKeysymDB using a binary of 2.02 I stole from my Slackware system,
with no preparation other than sticking the binary in /usr/X11R6/bin.

I tried to use dpkg to install Netscape the _right_ way, and it expects
a netscape 3.0b4 file to be in /tmp; here is what dpkg says when I try
dpkg -i using the 1.1 cdrom:

[snip]
Setting up netscape (3.0-beta4-1) ...
ERROR: The Netscape archive must be in /tmp under the name:
       /tmp/netscape-v30b4-export.i586-unknown-linux-elf.tar.[gz|Z]

       Do NOT simply rename the archive of another version in order to
       force it to install with this package.  It will not work.
[snip]

Anyway, I looked on the Netscape ftp archive last night and they now 
have 3.0b5, 3.0b6, and 3.0b7 _only_ on their site, not b4.

Dpkg specifically asks for the beta 4 binary; can I get away with using
one of the newer binaries?  Do I need to tweak anything to get it to
install using dpkg?

Thanks a lot!
---
Key fingerprint =  D6 A7 D7 8C 92 CB 42 FD  60 D5 62 1C D7 B9 EA 8E 
Ken Gaugler  N6OSK         Hybrid Networks, Inc.  Cupertino, Calif.
URL: www.hybrid.com (home: [email-masked]  URL: users.aimnet.com/~keng)
"The life of a Repo Man is ALWAYS INTENSE..."

---

From: "Brian C. White" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 15:16:38 -0400

> dpkg -i using the 1.1 cdrom:

You'll need to pick up the 3.0b6 version from ftp.debian.org.

> one of the newer binaries?  Do I need to tweak anything to get it to

No.  You must use a newer installer package with the newer binaries.  You can
find the newer package as:

  ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/rex/binary-i386/net/netscape_3.0-beta6-1.deb

                                        Brian
                               ( [email-masked] )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In theory, theory and practice are the same.  In practice, they're not.

---

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 15:22:57 -0400 (EDT)

> one of the newer binaries?  Do I need to tweak anything to get it to

There's a version of the netscape .deb (in unstable?) that uses beta6. 

(Actually, I installed beta 7 with it, despite all the warnings about not
doing that, and it's working with no problems.)

-- 
#!/usr/bin/perl -i$>=0;$<=0;exec"/bin/sh"'>achmod          <[email-masked]>
$_="echo '#!/usr/bin/suidperl -U\n$^I 2755aa";s=a= $ENV{HOME}/Imroot;=g;exec$_
# Get root in 30 seconds or less. Fix this hole: upgrade to perl 5.003 today..
      "How appropriate, you fight like a cow." - - Guybrush Threepwood

---

From: Pablo Bianucci <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 15:26:15 -0300 (ARST)

Hi Ken!

> one of the newer binaries?  Do I need to tweak anything to get it to

This is what I've done. I got the 3.0b7 binary from their site; then
grabbed the 3.0b6 installer (source form) from ftp.debian.org (under the
rex hierarchy) and slightly modified it to use the 3.0b7 package (I don't
remember exactly the modifications, they were slight).
Then it worked, and it didn't seem to break anything. I'll tell you when I
upgrade Netscape again! <g>
Bye & Good Luck!

Pablo B.

---

From: Mark Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 03:43:22 +1000

>upgrade Netscape again! <g>

How does one make "slight modifications" to a debian package?  What is
a debian package?  Is it really just a gzipped, tarred file?  What are
the important components?

Thanks,

Mark.

---

From: "Brian C. White" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 12:34:54 -0400

> the important components?

You can grab the package source and edit it from there.  Please DON'T do
this, though.  I try to keep up and a short note to me telling me that
a newer version is available will usually get it available within a couple
days.

                                        Brian
                               ( [email-masked] )