Subject: dselect returns error code

From: "Heiko R. Selber" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 12:22:38 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi Net,

(thanks for the help with nfs.o)

here is the next problem:

I started dselect in order to install various packages after I had the base 
system running.

I reached the nfs server, selected gcc-2.7.2 amongst others, resolved the 
occasional conflict, and started install...

But the first package fails already:
(again quoted by heart)

  gcc-2.7.2-8 could not be installed (depends on binutils-2.6-2 which is 
  not installed)

  installation script returned error status...
  (abort|retry|ignore)

Needless to say, binutils *is* installed (at least it is selected for 
installation).

When I tried it once more I got the cryptic message:

  internal error at -e line 12 <P> chunk 16

advthanksance

Heiko

PS:
I am slowly approaching the point where I expect a
"general protection violation(TM)" from Debian.
I consider this a bad sign.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heiko Selber (Fritz-Haber-Institut Berlin)   | Vs lbh pna ernq guvf       |
http://www.fhi-berlin.mpg.de/~selber         | lbh unir jnfgrq lbhe gvzr. |
email: [email-masked]              | Urvxb Fryore               |
Phone:+49-30-8413-4574, Fax:+49-30-8413-4686 |____________________________|

---

From: [email-masked] (Heiko Schlittermann)
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 15:44:18 +0200 (MET DST)

Heiko R. Selber wrote:
: 
: I started dselect in order to install various packages after I had the base 
: system running.
: 
: When I tried it once more I got the cryptic message:
: 
:   internal error at -e line 12 <P> chunk 16

Yes, I saw this too ...

My private solution: changed to the debian top level binary
(stable/binary) and called ``dpkg -iGROEB'', run this twice and most of
the conflicts were resolved ...

    Heiko
--
email : [email-masked] [email-masked] [email-masked]
pgp   : A1 7D F6 7B 69 73 48 35  E1 DE 21 A7 A8 9A 77 92 
finger: [email-masked]         [email-masked]

---

From: "Heiko R. Selber" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 18:50:28 +0200 (MET DST)

> the conflicts were resolved ...

Yes, "dpkg -iGROEB." (with a dot) worked.

I think this bug deserves a bug number.

Heiko