Subject: A few stupid(?) questions...

From: "Daniel Lynes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 04:22:11 +0700

Ok, I've got a few questions for problems that are for the most part
annoying the hell out of me.

1.  The Bourne Again SHell seems to require a '.\' before the
executable name in order
to be able to execute the program (all programs in the /usr/games
directory).
2.  I've created .bashrc, .bash_profile,  and .bash_aliases in my /root
directory,
and /home/dbl home directory.  However, bash does not seem to load
these up.
I've modified the files to allow for an easier transition from DOS/OS2
command
prompts.
3.  How would I specify to use -o (--colors) as a default option for
color-ls?  (I also
wish to use color-ls when I use the 'ls' command.  So, I would assume I
would
do an

mv /bin/ls /usr/lib
ln -sf /usr/bin/color-ls /usr/bin/ls
ln -sf /usr/lib/ls /usr/bin/old-ls

to replace ls with color-ls?)
4.  Is there any shells for Linux similar to the Rexx shell for OS/2
and AIX, or
is this simply dreaming?
5.  Will the Slackware distribution of Abuse from Crack-Dot-Com work
with
the Debian installation?  (I'm assuming yes, but you never know...)

TIA.

---

From: Dominik Kubla <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 17:10:24 +0200

> 1.  The Bourne Again SHell seems to require a '.\' before the
                                                 |
I guess you mean "./", don't you? ---------------+

> executable name in order to be able to execute the program (all
> programs in the /usr/games directory).

Check your PATH setting: is "." part of the search path?

> 2.  I've created .bashrc, .bash_profile, and .bash_aliases in my
> /root directory, and /home/dbl home directory.  However, bash does
> not seem to load these up.  I've modified the files to allow for an
> easier transition from DOS/OS2 command prompts.

Read the bash manual: 

.bashrc is only loaded by non-interactive shells. Put the following at
the top of your .bash_profile:

  if [ -r $HOME/.bashrc ]
  then
    source $HOME/.bashrc
  fi

And .bash_aliases is not an autoloaded file too, use the same
construct as above.

Dominik

---

From: [email-masked] (Erick Branderhorst)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 07:39:24 +0100

BTW only unasked questions are stupid.

> to replace ls with color-ls?)

install fileutils 3.13-3 and look in /usr/doc/fileutils/color-ls.gz

Erick

---

From: "Susan G. Kleinmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 08:31:04 -0400

Hi Daniel --

> to replace ls with color-ls?)

No, that's not the right thing to do.  First of all, color-ls is
no longer supported by Debian.  Instead, color support is built directly
into ls itself, by way of the fileutils package (to be found in section
misc on the FTP archive).  After you install fileutils, then look in
/usr/doc/fileutils.  You will see a file called "color-ls.gz" with more
details.  Briefly, you can simply execute
    ls --color
to see your directory listing look like a peacock.

Also, it is a *bad* idea to execute mv's and ln's on files that have been
installed with dselect and/or dpkg.  If you don't confuse the package
management system, you'll confuse yourself when you try to upgrade or
install new packages.  It is fine to manipulate files in /usr/local
however.  

Good luck,
Susan Kleinmann