Subject: Supported fast graphics cards?

From: "David M. Cooke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 14:01:25 -0400

I've been asked which graphics card to get for a purchase of 5
systems to run Linux.  There are a lot of new cards out there
and new versions of cards I was familiar with but enough has
changed that I'm not sure exactly what to specify.

I and some friends have Mach64 cards at home that we bought about
a year ago and are very hapily running Debian Linux on but what
would I specify to get a XFree86 X-Server compatible graphics
card now?

If you have a recomendation for a _specific_ model of graphics
card that you know works (1280x1024x256), please let me know.
It will speed my search.

Thanks.

-- 
________________________________________________________________________
David M. Cooke                                   [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 10:52:19 -0500 (CDT)

> card that you know works (1280x1024x256), please let me know.

I have one of the newer Mach64 cards.  From what I've heard basically
all of the Mach64 cards are supported by the latest versions of
XFree86.  I must point out though that the Mach64 cards that are
about 1 year old work just great with the current release of
XFree86 but that the ones that are about 6 months old or so are
only supported by the newest current beta release of the server.
So, if you are planning to get Mach64 cards.. you shouldn't have
a problem getting them to work but you will have to use the newest
beta release of XFree86 which I don't believe is currently available
in the Debian release.

Cheers!
Richard..

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Dansereau
Email: [email-masked]          Home page:  http://pobox.com/~rdanse
Electrical and Computer Engineering - University of Manitoba - Canada
---------------------------------------------------------------------