Subject: simple but useful debian enhancement

From: Jeppe Sigbrandt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 18:58:52 +0100

Hi all,

Following the thread about how to enhance dselect/dpkg to ease 
re-installation, I would like to suggest my idea:

A menu item in dselect to store the present configuration on the
base diskettes.

One of the main uses for the root, boot and base 
diskettes is in case there is serious damage to your system or
in case you need to install on multiple machines.

It would be cool to be able to recreate the exact configuration based
on info stored on these diskettes.  The /var/lib/dpkg/status file is only
152 Kbytes in my case.  Surely it would fit on the base diskettes.

This sounds as if it would be easy to implement too.
Users, would simply need to be encouraged to update their base 
diskettes after any major status changes.

Regards,
jay

---

From: [email-masked] (renald loignon)
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 22:23:21 -0400 (EDT)

>A menu item in dselect to store the present configuration on the

Or on a separate diskette reserved for that purpose...