Subject: Cannot compile mouse support - help!

From: John Juergensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 23:06:59 -0500

Hi all,

  I'm trying to compile mouse support into my kernel (2.0.6), but for the
life of me I can't get the mouse to function.  I have a busmouse on an
ATI Graphics Ultra + card (which the HOWTO says is a regular busmouse,
NOT an ATI busmouse).  When I run MSD under dos, it reports a busmouse
using IRQ4.  So far, so good.

  When I try to use the mouse (gpm -m /dev/inportbm) I just get the
message "/dev/inportbm - No such device".  So I tried removing the
inportbm and recreating it (mknod /dev/inportbm c 10 2); running the
"file" command on the new inportbm indicates that it is a character
special (10, 2).  Still no luck - no such device.

  I've tried compiling with busmouse support and NO serial support,
compiling with serial support and NO busmouse support, and compiling
with both busmouse AND serial support.  In all cases I get "no such device"
when using /dev/inportbm.  On the two kernels with serial support, the
gpm -m /dev/ttys0 command does not fail with an error, but it does not
provide any visible mouse support either.  And I have checked that
busmouse.h #defines MOUSE_IRQ = 4.  I set both serial and busmouse support
to be in the kernel, not in modules.

  I've read the busmouse-HOWTO and the FAQ and have not been able to
solve this problem.  Does anybody have any ideas what I'm doing wrong here?
The mouse works fine under DOS/Windows, so it shouldn't be a hardware problem.

  Thanks all.

-jj