Subject: OS/2 HPFS File System - Is this a Bug?

From: Jim Worthington <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 00:42:13 -0400

I'm running OS/2 Warp with HPFS on several of my drives.

I noticed that Linux 1.1 fdisk reveals two different file system
identifiers for these
HPFS partitions:

  /dev/sda5  id 7  OS/2 HPFS

  /dev/hda2  id 17 Unknown

The Unknown partition type (id 17) was created by OS/2 Warp fdisk during
the installation process.  It is also a primary partition.

The HPFS partition type (id 7) was created by OS/2 Warp after
installation.  Note that this is an extended partition.

Has anybody else observed the two different identifers for HPFS
filesystems?  Is this a Bug?  Linux produces some error messages when
mounting the id 17 filesystem but it everything seems to work ok.  I
didn't observe any error messages when mounting the id 7 filesystem
which also works fine.

OS/2 Warp doesn't complain at all.

---

From: Shaya Potter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 09:46:32 -0400 (EDT)

> I noticed that Linux 1.1 fdisk reveals two different file system

This a little bit of a guess, (I have never used os/2 and linux on the 
same machine, and I never got os/2 to run right either) but I am think 
that /dev/hda2 might be your os/2 boot manager partition.  Are you using it?
If you are, and linux's fdisk says it only 1 or 2 MB large, then I would 
just remove it from your /etc/mtab and /etc/fstab files.

Hope this helps (just a guess)

Shaya
--
Shaya Potter
[email-masked]

---

From: Todd Tyrone Fries <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 14:10:32 -0500 (CDT)

> that /dev/hda2 might be your os/2 boot manager partition.  Are you using
> it? If you are, and linux's fdisk says it only 1 or 2 MB large, then I
> would  just remove it from your /etc/mtab and /etc/fstab files.

your suggestion doesn't hold water considering below he says it complains but
mounts the filesystem id 17 fine.

> > OS/2 Warp doesn't complain at all.

Of course OS/2 shouldn't complain.  But are you sure you have OS/2 Warp or
the Merlin beta?  I installed os/2 warp myself and never got this particular
'id 17' partition.  Still, could you use os/2's fdisk and see what kindof
partition os/2 thinks the partition on the ide hard drive is?

Perhaps this is another id number we should add to the types that fdisk/linux
recognizes.

Especially if you can mount the os/2 volumes correctly, you should not worry
but wonder when os/2 started using the new id and how to get the maintainers
of fdisk to realize this fact, perhaps even to name it appropriately.

BTW, there is available a rw os2 ext2 driver.  It allows os/2 to mount ext2
read-write.  Worked fine when I had os/2.  But I ran out of space and lost the
hd (shock therapy doesn't work with hd's :-) os/2 booted from, so I never
re-installed.

--
Todd Fries .. [email-masked]

---

From: Jim Worthington <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 12:10:57 -0400

> just remove it from your /etc/mtab and /etc/fstab files.

I am using OS/2 Boot Manager to select between Windows 95, OS/2 Warp and
Linux.  The boot manager partition has it's own unique identifier and is
being identified correctly. 

The HPFS partitions in question are in the 120 to 300 meg range.  I
checked the SCSI drive on a second machine and the OS/2 Warp (version 3)
partition has a 17 id.

Do you think that IBM created a new partition type with the release of
Warp (OS/2 version 3.0x)?

Jim