Subject: RE: kernel size

From: Casper BodenCummins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 16:06:51 +0100

Hamish,

>One thing I find a bit annoying with dselect/dpkg is the way it checks
>the version of EVERY package when you pick Install. Last night I did
>an NFS installation (and the remote source was from CD-ROM), and this
>step was very slow. Can anything be done about this, eg trusting
>the packages list instead of looking for newer versions, or whatever?

You could run through these packages in dselect typing =. This makes the
process run a little faster, but has the disadvantage that it doesn't
automatically install upgrades.

The version checking process is is a bit slow, I agree, but the tradeoff
in flexibility is probably worthwhile. At least for now.

>Also, how does dselect cope if it doesn't have the root debian tree?
>For the past few days I've been fiddling a lot and I've had the
>Debian CD in my CD-ROM drive all the time, but I'm about to lend it
>to someone. Will dselect still work with nothing but a local directory,
>or should I just use dpkg by hand?
>
Without a debian package tree it just presents you with a list of
installed packages. However, you can set the access method to use a
>local or NFS-mounted directory (and I think ftp - dunno offhand).

>Casper Boden-Cummins.