Subject: help with debian perl installation

From: "James D. Freels" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 96 14:29 EDT

I get the following error messages every time perl starts up
on my debian-linux machines (perl and return with do it!)
This is the current perl-5.003 release.  Any idea how I can
rid my system of this problem?  (The perl scripts all run 
fine, I am not that familiar with perl).

warning: setlocale(LC_CTYPE, "") failed.
warning: LC_ALL = "(null)", LC_CTYPE = "(null)", LANG = "de",
warning: falling back to the "C" locale.

-- 
/------------------------------------------------------------------\
| James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D.  | Phone:  (423)576-8645  |   | L |
| Oak Ridge National Laboratory   | FAX:    (423)574-9172  | H | I |
| Research Reactors Division      | Internet: [email-masked] | F | N |
| P. O. Box 2008                  | Reactor Technology     | I | U |
| Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37831-6392 | world's best neutrons! | R | X |
|------------------------------------------------------------------|
| out the 10Base-T, through the router, down the T1, over the      |
| leased line, off the bridge, past the firewall...nothing but Net |
\------------------------------------------------------------------/

---

From: Christian Hudon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 18:01:37 -0700 (PDT)

> warning: falling back to the "C" locale.

1. Have you installed the wg-locale (or something like that) package? You
need to if you want to use locales.

2. Even then, I doubt 'de' is a valid locale name. Try 'de_DE' (or any
other one of the de_* locales that come with wg15-locale.deb

  Christian

---

From: [email-masked] (Erick Branderhorst)
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 10:18:26 +0100

> need to if you want to use locales.

Perhaps this package needs higher priority.

> other one of the de_* locales that come with wg15-locale.deb

de should be valid.

Erick

---

From: Dale Scheetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 10:03:17 -0400 (EDT)

> warning: falling back to the "C" locale.
Try perl_5.003-2.deb from the updates directory.

Dwarf

------------                                          --------------

aka   Dale Scheetz                   Phone:   1 (904) 877-0257
      Flexible Software              Fax:     NONE 
      Black Creek Critters           e-mail:  [email-masked]

------------ If you don't see what you want, just ask --------------