Subject: RE: catch 22?

From: [email-masked] (Crow, Owen)
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 19:36:54 -0500

> I've managed to get myself in a catch-22 kind of dilemma.  In an effort
> to get a working 2.0.0 kernel with the proper options to support IP
> masquerading, somehow or other both my kernel-image and kernel-source
> packages have gotten to a state where I'm stuck fast!

Before you try anything drastic, check the #!/... line of the
post-install scripts for the kernel. Mine pointed to a non-
existent perl. Either modify the script(s) or create a link
to the correct Perl. Once I had created the link, the install
went forward without a hitch.

Good luck,
Owen

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 21:41:23 -0400 (EDT)

>went forward without a hitch.
Owen,

Thanks for suggesting caution.  Others have suggested the
scripts having that error also.  However, I have managed to
resolve the dilemma.  I tried Heiko's suggestion and edited
my status file.  I changed the kernel-source and image status
to "purge ok not-installed".  Then ran dselect, since I wanted to
install a few other packages as well.  All went fine!  Except that 
now the postinst script fails.  This is not dibilatating however as
the source is now intact and the original kernel image (and the
compressed) are where they should be.  I believe this same error
occured on the initial install of the kernel stuff
as well.

Paul