Subject: kernel size (was: How do I get GATEWAY2000 PS/2 mouse to work?)

From: Casper BodenCummins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 10:04:04 +0100

This is an interesting issue. You might use similar justification for
leaving all but the essentials out of the distributed kernel. This would
encourage users to learn how to recompile the kernel, and demonstrate in
doing so that it's surprisingly simple.

On the other hand, new users might think, 'This kernel doesn't even
support mice [or whatever]. What a crummy kernel!'. Many are liable to
come to this conclusion on discovering that only serial mice are (have
been just recently) supported.

Since the project's maintainers have decided to compile in a fair range
of support in the distributed kernel, it's quite reasonable to expect
something as simple as support for a range of mice to be included.

The real question is whether the default kernel should be bloated with
features, or pared down.

Casper Boden-Cummins.

>----------
>From: 	[email-masked][SMTP:[email-masked]]
>Sent: 	14 August 1996 22:51
>To: 	[email-masked]
>Cc: 	The recipient's address is unknown.
>Subject: 	Re: How do I get GATEWAY2000 PS/2 mouse to work ?
>
>As Mark Rahner said:
>> Todd, I'm sure that you're the neatest computer guy on your block, but
>> I think that you missed the original poster's point.  Users shouldn't
>> have to recompile their kernels to get their PS/2 mice to work.  Such a
>> requirement is enough to keep many potential Debian users from successfully
>> making the leap from MSStuff to Debian.
>
>I will unfortunately continue this thread with nothing but opinions. I
>think that any person wanting to run Unix on their own computer should
>be
>able to 1) download files, 2) uncompress and untar files, 3) type 'make
>config', and the least 4) make a boot floppy. They don't even have to
>understand LILO.
>
>Making a new kernel is not that difficult.
>
>--gilbert
>______________________________________________________________________
>Gilbert Ramirez Jr.                     [email-masked]
>University of Texas                     http://merece.uthscsa.edu/gram
>Health Science Center at San Antonio    University Health System
>
>

---

From: Sherwood Botsford <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 11:57:06 -0600

> The real question is whether the default kernel should be bloated with

I would think off hand that it would make sense to add another tier to 
the install layering.

1'st tier. Floppy set.

2'nd tier. You have a system that will boot off the hard disk.  Note
This means that you need to include lilo on the boot floppy system.  
Much as I like debian, my experience with slackware was a lot more
transparent for getting through this stage.  At this point you are
booting with a minimal kernel.  Since you aren't working with mice
the kernel has no mouse support.  However to boot off the hard disk
the kernel must have hard disk support.  This probably means support
for numerous scsi cards too.

3'rd tier. Configure to specific hardware.  This is where you would
tell it what type of sound card, cd-rom, network card.  Some of this
can be done by autodetect scripts. At the end of this tier you should
have a system that can ftp, mount nfs, mount cd-roms. 

4'th tier. Add rest of basic package.  Note:  At present dselect
allows you to pick and choose too early I think.  The basic required
stuff should be done as an automated install.  At the end of this you
have a minimalist, but basic unix machine. 

5'th tier. Normal dselect, where you can pick out what you want.
One of the recommended packages would be kernel builder, which would
guide you through the steps to either select one of a standard set,
or help you to roll your own.

Sherwood Botsford |Unsolicited email that advertises commercial 
Physics Dept      |activities will consitute a request for 
U of Alberta      |spellchecking of all words of less than three 
Edmonton, AB,     |characters.  I charge $US500 for this service. 
T6G 2J1		  |There is no warranty of correctness of this service.