Subject: Re: mailagent and MH

From: [email-masked]
Date: 23 Aug 1996 16:20:18 -0400

Hi,

	Actually, some of the delay is there by design ;-).  You see,
 if a flurry of messages comes in (like, when one runs popclient),
 then we don't want to spawn as many copies of mailagent as there are
 messages (well, perl is a rather large binary). What is done is that
 a number of copies of the c filter (very small footprint,
 comparatively) are run, and they all synchronize with each other (for
 example for writing to the log file), but only one mailagent will be
 started (maybe after all the messages are read); this lone copy of
 the mailagent then works on all the messages and filters them
 appropiately.  This is a feature, folks.

	Oh, and this message is, I guess, au revoir, for the
 nonce. I'll talk to you guys from my new machine, I guess, some time
 mid sept. 

	manoj
-- 
One week left in  the frozen northlands.
Manoj Srivastava               Systems Research Programmer, Project Pilgrim,
Phone: (413) 545-3918               A143B Lederle Graduate Research Center,
Fax:   (413) 545-3203         University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003
<[email-masked]> <URL:http://www.pilgrim.umass.edu/%7Esrivasta/>