Subject: Can't remove sendmail with dselect/dpkg

From: "John Houwen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 14:22:38 -0500

In my original installation, I incorrectly selected sendmail (among 
other things <g>) to be installed.  Upon further investigation, smail 
would appear to be the preferred mail transport device.

However, dselect/dpkg refuses to remove it, or any part of it.  
"smail not installed, cannot remove sendmail"  is part of the error 
message.  Conversely, attempting to install smail generates the same 
type errors..

Can anyone help with this?

************************************************************
*                     |          [email-masked]       *
*  J.P. Houwen        |    PGP Key available upon request  *
*                     |       [email-masked]    *
************************************************************

---

From: Miro Torrielli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 22:01:56 +0200

> Can anyone help with this?

Sounds strange. Anyway, the simplest way would probably be to
install smail, and then remove sendmail :-)

---

From: Dale Scheetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 16:07:35 -0400 (EDT)

> Can anyone help with this?
Did you try dpkg with the --force-depends?

Dwarf

------------                                          --------------

aka   Dale Scheetz                   Phone:   1 (904) 877-0257
      Flexible Software              Fax:     NONE 
      Black Creek Critters           e-mail:  [email-masked]

------------ If you don't see what you want, just ask --------------