Subject: Soundblaster 32 pnp kills ethernet card

From: Jim Worthington <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 23:58:35 -0400

I have a SoundBlaster 32 pnp audio card.  When this card is installed,
my 3Com 3C509B ethernet card is not recognized by Linux at boot time.

The 3C509B is also a pnp device, but pnp is turned off and the card is
manually configured.  There aren't any interrupt or I/O conflicts that I
can identify.  I tried changing both of these settings on the 3COM
card.  It made no difference.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

What is the current level of pnp support by Linux?

Any work arounds?

Jim <[email-masked]>

---

From: Alastair Gregory <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 09:12:43 -0400

I don't know if I can really help you here, except to relate my 
experiences:

A while back I attempted to install a SB AWE32 PnP sound card, with
absolutely no success. It didn't appear to affect any of my other
cards, but it didn't work. It didn't work under Win95 either, and Creative
Labs' "support" was worse than useless. I exchanged it - the replacement
didn't work any better. I returned it and bought another SB-compatible
PnP card for about 40% less. It installed effortlessly under Win95.

Now the bad news: I'm afraid I haven't tried it with Linux. Drop me a
line if you want me to.

Regards,
Alastair Gregory

---

From: Jim Worthington <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 23:19:59 -0400

> PnP card for about 40% less. It installed effortlessly under Win95.

The card works fine under windowd 95 -- almost -- I can't kill the on
board ide port.
I don't need another cdrom port and it consumes interrupt 10.  I can
kill it with win95's device manager but pnp brings it back every time
that I reboot.

Any recommendations for a Linux compatable sound card?  I'd like
wavetable and full duplex capabilities.

Jim