Subject: install disk with aic7xxx patch

From: [email-masked] (Danny Heap)
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 96 16:03:44 PDT

I want to install debian 1.1 on a pentium with an adaptec 2940 UW scsi
controller.  Unfortunately, my installation seems to be stymied by the
aic7xxx driver that comes with kernels 2.0.0 through 2.0.6, resulting
in completely corrupted filesystems once I've gotten to the point of
installing the base system and rebooting.

On another machine I have compiled kernel 2.0.7 plus the aic7xxx patch
(Jul22/96) that seems to fix this problem (for an older VLB with
aha2842).

What I would like to do is use this patched kernel on my "boot"
installation disk.  As far as I can tell, none of the current boot
disks incorporate this patch.

How do I either modify an existing boot installation disk, or make my
own, to incorporate this patch?

Failing that, does anybody have any ideas on how to work-around the
driver problem?  I tried installing debian 0.93R6, but it doesn't
recognize this (rather new) controller at all.

Thanks for any ideas

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Danny Heap, UCSF, 3333 California St., Room 102, SF CA, 94122
[email-masked], voice:	(415) 476-8910, fax: (415) 476-1508
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Perens)
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 96 21:05 PDT

> own, to incorporate this patch?

Boot floppies for 1.1 are MSDOS filesystems. The file "linux" contains
the kernel. Just replace it.

	Bruce