Subject: jave applets don't work in netscape 3.0b5a

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 21:22:37 +0300

i have two hosts, a and b, running debian 1.1.  in a that i upgraded
from debian 0.93, java works fine in netscape 3.0b5a.  in b where debian
1.1 was installed from scratch, java applets don't work. not even the
java console shows up.  there are no error messages.

i suspect that the problem is with X, since java works if i'm on a and
start netscape remotely on b and doesn't work if i'm on b and start java
remotely on a.

any idea what might be going wrong?  in a X runs in 16 bit mode and in b
in 24 bit mode, but i have also tried 16 bit mode in b.  ldd output is:

lohi:~% ldd `which netscape`
        libXt.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6.0
        libSM.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6.0
        libICE.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6.0
        libXmu.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6.0
        libXpm.so.4 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4.7
        libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6.0
        libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.0
        libdl.so.1 => /lib/libdl.so.1.7.14
        libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5.2.18

-- juha