Subject: Latex (Quite long)

From: Kari Davidsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 13:35:06 +0300

Hi there,

	I was just installing again Latex, after some accidental purging
of my old Latex setup. Among the things that I installed are:

	latex		2e-7
	kpathsea	2.6-2	Path searching "tool".
	mfbasfnt	1.0-4	Tex default fonts.
	mfbin		2.71-4	Metafont.

What happens now is that when I try to Latex the following,

\documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{article}
\usepackage{t1enc}
\usepackage{amstex}
\usepackage{algorithmic}
\usepackage{epsfig}
\author{Kári Davíðsson.}
\date{\today}
\title{Unknown yet.}
\begin{document}
\maketitle
\input{introd.tex}
\end{document}

I get the following error from MetaFont, which I did not get before:

                    .
                    .
                    .
>(/usr/lib/texmf/tex/latex/base/t1enc.stykpathsea: Running MakeTeXTFM >dcr1200.tfm 
>Running MakeTeXPK dcr1200.tfm
>mf \mode:=nullmode; mag:=1; scrollmode; input dcr1200 \</dev/null
>This is METAFONT, Version 2.71 (C version 6.1)
>
>kpathsea: Running MakeTeXMF dcr1200.mf 
>! I can't find file `dcr1200.mf'.
><*> ...nullmode; mag:=1; scrollmode; input dcr1200
>                                                  
>Please type another input file name: 
>! Emergency stop.
><*> ...nullmode; mag:=1; scrollmode; input dcr1200
>                                                  
>Transcript written on mfput.log.
>Metafont failed for some reason on dcr1200.tfm
>kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.

When doing a soft link (ln -s)  from dcr1200.tfm to dcr12.tfm in
/usr/lib/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/dc, I get the same error later in the
"latex startup/premable" for font dcr2074.tfm and after the \maketitle
command for font dcr1440.tfm. I am completly clueless about what is 
happening, as I said it worked before this unfortunate reinstall.
Neadless to say, these font files  dcr1200.tfm, dcr2074.tfm and
dcr1440.tfm do not seem to excist any where on the system.

I even zapped the nev installation compleatly and installed it once
more with no luck. I was going to use the ln -s trick for all the fonts
but, I am not shure which font files are the correct one to link to
dcr2074.tfm and dcr1440.tfm, besides I don't belive that to be the
correct solution.

Thanks in advance

	K.D.
--
  *********************************************************************
  * Kári Davíðsson                    *                               *
  * Opiskelijankatu 4 C 151           *                               *
  * 33720 Tampere                     *     Your advertisement here.  *
  * Finland                           *     Low prices.               *
  * Tel: + 358-(9)50-5225153          *                               *
  * [email-masked]                 *	                              *
  *********************************************************************

---

From: Michael Meskes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 15:22:47 +0200 (MET DST)

> ><*> ...nullmode; mag:=1; scrollmode; input dcr1200

This is a well known problem with mfbasfnt. Please upgrade to version -5.
Note, that you have to install mfdcfnt, too, since the dc fonts are no
longer free.

That'll do it.

Michael
-- 
Michael Meskes                   |    _____ ________ __  ____
[email-masked] |   / ___// ____/ // / / __ \___  __________
[email-masked]                  |   \__ \/ /_  / // /_/ /_/ / _ \/ ___/ ___/
[email-masked]                |  ___/ / __/ /__  __/\__, /  __/ /  (__  )
Use Debian Linux!                | /____/_/      /_/  /____/\___/_/  /____/