Subject: Floppy won't boot with internal cache enabled

From: Steve Gaarder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 17:33:42 -0400

I am installing Debian 1.1.1 on a generic clone with an AMD 486 on an
Opti-based motherboard.  If I have the internal cache enabled in setup,
I get the error "invalid compressed format" after the "uncompressing
Linux" message.  If I disable the cache, it boots fine.  It boots ok
from the hard drive either way.  Anyone know what is going on?

thanks,

Steven Gaarder                              Network and Systems Administrator
[email-masked]                          A C Technology, Ithaca, N.Y., USA

---

From: Dan Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 01:33:57 +0200

Guy Maor wrote:
> 
> On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Steve Gaarder wrote:
> 
> I don't see how this could happen with an L1 cache (internal), but it
> could with an L2 (external).  Were you perhaps enabling and disabling
> the external?  Try to enable it but make the timings more
> conservative.  You're probably seeing hardware problems; your L2 cache
> is being addressed too quickly.
> 
> Guy

I had problems like this a couple years back when I was installing OS/2
on a Dell Machine (486,66mhz).. The installation would fail if I didn't
disabel both L1 and L2 caches.. But I ripped out the TsengLab GFX card
(VLB)
and all troubles went away.. Ripping out gfx card is often not a option 
but the Dell MB had a Cyrrus Logic Chip on it...

---

From: Guy Maor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 10:14:36 -0500 (CDT)

Guy

---

From: "Michael J. Cotherman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 14:15:32 -0700

> from the hard drive either way.  Anyone know what is going on?

I had this problem when I used EDO RAM on a motherboard that did not
support EDO...just a thought

mike cotherman