Subject: /etc/passwd migration between systems

From: Jim Worthington <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 20:49:02 -0400

I tried copying the /etc/passwd file from a Sun workstation to a Linux
machine in order to create common user accounts.  

Linux, however would not decrypt the Sun passwords when correctly
entered.  Thei technique works fine between Solaris and Sun Unix.

Does Linux use a different encryption algorithm than Sun?  (obviously it
is different) Is there any Sun compatability login software for Linux
that would allow me to use a common password database between the two
systems?

Jim

---

From: [email-masked] (Christoph Lameter)
Date: 23 Aug 1996 20:17:42 -0700

Jim Worthington ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I tried copying the /etc/passwd file from a Sun workstation to a Linux
: machine in order to create common user accounts.  
Use NIS. Copying /etc/passwd can cause a lot of problems keeping it up to date.

: 
: Linux, however would not decrypt the Sun passwords when correctly
: entered.  Thei technique works fine between Solaris and Sun Unix.
: 
: Does Linux use a different encryption algorithm than Sun?  (obviously it
: is different) Is there any Sun compatability login software for Linux
: that would allow me to use a common password database between the two
: systems?
NIS is available on both systems and will allow the Linux box to use the
passwd etc contents on the sun.

: 
: Jim
:

---

From: Steffen Mueller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 14:14:41 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 23 Aug 1996, Jim Worthington wrote:

Hi Jim,

> that would allow me to use a common password database between the two

When both machines are attached to the same LAN the use of NIS would help.
Works perfectly here with serveral different UNIX types like
BSD/Linux/Solaris/SunOs. The NIS Server runs on a SunOS Machine.

Greetings,

Steffen

PGP Key is available under : http://www.xlink.net/~steffen/steffen.asc
-----
Steffen R.Mueller               __  ___ _       _     email: [email-masked]
NTG Netzwerk und Telematic GmbH \ \/ / (_)_ __ | | __ fax  : +49 721 9652 210
Geschaeftsbereich Xlink          \  /| | | '_ \| |/ / phone: +49 721 9652 211
Vincenz-Priessnitz-Str. 3        /  \| | | | | |   <  RIPE : SM25-RIPE
D-76131 Karlsruhe, Germany      /_/\_\_|_|_| |_|_|\_\ WWW.Xlink.net/~steffen

---

From: Bill Wohler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 10:53:17 -0700

Jim,

  My binary of Crack v4.1f that I compiled a couple of years ago (with
  ufc-crypt I believe) works fine under Debian 1.1.  I haven't tried
  to recompile it though.  I'd be happy to ship the binary to you in a
  pinch if you trust me (MH viamail or ftp preferred).

Bill Wohler <[email-masked]>   ph: +1-415-854-1857  fax: +1-415-854-3195
Say it with MIME.  Maintainer of comp.mail.mh and news.software.nn FAQs.
If you're passed on the right, you're in the wrong lane.