Subject: Re: /dev/console and headless computers

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Perens)
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 96 20:26 PDT

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
> Has anyone had expereince with setting up debian on a headless meachine?
> I've run into one strange problem since I pulled the monitor, mouse, and
> keyboard off a computer here last night. When it boots up, it symlinks
> /dev/console -> /dev/console. I haven't been able to track down what
> script is doing this -- does anyone know, and is this a known problem?

/etc/init.d/console, /etc/rc.boot/0kbd . Look at /etc/config/console and
/etc/config/kbd .

	Bruce

---

From: Joey Hess <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 00:10:24 -0400 (EDT)

> /etc/init.d/console, /etc/rc.boot/0kbd . Look at /etc/config/console and

Hmm.. I seem to be lacking an /etc/config/ directory. I'm running
debian 1.1.6, what package have I neglected to install?

-- 
#!/usr/bin/perl -lisubstr($_,39+38*sin++$y/9,2)=$s # [email-masked]
for($s='  '||McQ;$_='JOEY HESS 'x8;print){eval$^I} #         Joey Hess
                      "He. He. He." - - Herman Toothrot

---

From: [email-masked] (Miquel van Smoorenburg)
Date: 25 Aug 1996 13:30:07 +0200

In article <[email-masked]>,
>debian 1.1.6, what package have I neglected to install?

Uhm no that should be /etc/kbd/config, if you have it. For some reason the
kbd package creates its own directory for just one config file.

I think later kbd packages do not link /dev/console anymore because
that's not the job of the kbd package. If any script should do it it's
/etc/init.d/boot, and then only if my serial console patches get integrated
into the kernel (needs a rewrite first).

Mike.
-- 
+   Miquel van Smoorenburg   + Cistron Internet Services +  Living is a     |
|  [email-masked] (SP6)  | Independent Dutch ISP     |   horizontal     |
+ [email-masked] + http://www.cistron.nl/    +      fall        +