Subject: caffiene-free netscape

From: "David Morris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 13:42:30 -0500

I have installed Netscape 3.0 (had to pull the deb package from the
incoming directory since for some reason the packages file still has the
last beta as the current version) on my debian system.

The browser works fine, but I can't get any java applets to work. I have
the setting set right and used the package setup that Brian put together,
but something still isn't working. I don't receive any errors when I aim
at a page that I know has an applet on it, it just doesn't work. The
applet space is blank.

I am wondering if there is anything else I would need to do to get java to
kick in. I am not ready to start developing applets yet, I just want to
have them work.

I have the 2.0.6 kernel installed (compiled myself).

Any ideas on where to look for settings that aren't right?

--
David Morris  [email-masked]
---
The fundamental question in life is whether we live it from the
outside in or from the inside out. - Fritz Perls (founder, Gestalt therapy)
---
   Home Page: http://www.netins.net/showcase/dmorris/
   PGP Public Key available there or via Finger.
---

---

From: Gerry Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 14:59:47 -0600 (MDT)

> at a page that I know has an applet on it, it just doesn't work. The

A possibility is that you're not waiting long enough.  In my experience,
it looks like the page is loaded (Netscape will indicate that the document
is loaded) and there is just a blank where the applet is supposed to run,
but in reality, either the applet is still loading or it is just taking a
long time to initialize or whatever.  The delay will probably be longer if
you do not have a lot of RAM as the applets seem to use lots of memory. 

Gerry