Subject: Re: joe and lynx on a short terminal

From: [email-masked] (renald loignon)
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 11:38:15 -0400 (EDT)

>Here's what I have in /ect/profile to do what I think you want;
>--------------------------cut---------------------------------
>TTYTYPE=`tty|cut -f 3 -d /|grep -f - /etc/ttytype|cut -f 1 -d " "`
>  if [ "$TTYTYPE" = "" ]; then
>   :
>  else
>   TERM=$TTYTYPE
>  fi
>
>unset TTYTYPE
>-------------------------cut----------------------------------
>
>/etc/ttytype looks like this;
>-------------------------cut----------------------------------
>vt100 ttyS0
>vt100 ttyS1
>vt100 ttyS2
>vt100 ttyS3
>-------------------------cut----------------------------------
>
>In this case I set all the serial ports to vt100 and leaving
>everything else alone. I forget where the ttytype idea came from but I
>ripped it off from somewhere.

Well, SCO Unix, SCO Xenix and (waaay back when...) Tandy Xenix all do it
that way, except for the device coming first, and the term type second, on
the line...