Subject: libwww-perl installation incomplete

From: Bill Wohler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 17:49:41 -0700

I downloaded checkbot <http://dutifp.twi.tudelft.nl:8000/checkbot/>
  which is used to verify links in Web pages, but the current version
  of the libwww-perl package:
  
	libwww-perl  <none>      5.00-1

  is incomplete.  In particular, it does not install the HTML
  sub-package.  Running checkbot reveals and undefined reference to
  the HTML methods (unfortunately, I no longer have the error
  message).  Could this be user headroom on my part or shall I submit
  a bug report?  After obtaining the sources to libwww-perl and
  installing, I got past the errors above (although now it's dying
  from an internal bug--sigh).

  Is anyone out there familiar with checkbot?  Or do you use a better
  link-checker?

Bill Wohler <[email-masked]>   ph: +1-415-854-1857  fax: +1-415-854-3195
Say it with MIME.  Maintainer of comp.mail.mh and news.software.nn FAQs.
If you're passed on the right, you're in the wrong lane.

---

From: Rob Browning <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Aug 1996 21:02:19 -0500

Bill Wohler <[email-masked]> writes:

>   the current version of the libwww-perl package is incomplete.  In
>   particular, it does not install the HTML sub-package.  After
>   obtaining the sources to libwww-perl and installing, I got past
>   the errors above.

Hmm.  So did you have to do anything special when you built
libwww-perl to get this sub-package, and did you do this with the real
upstream sources, or the debian source package?

>   Could this be user headroom on my part or shall I submit a bug
>   report?

This sounds like a bug to me.  Go ahead and submit a bug report so I
don't forget to look in to it.

Thanks
--
Rob

---

From: Bill Wohler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 14:44:51 -0700

> upstream sources, or the debian source package?

  [cleaning up my mailbox...]

  Rob, it was relatively straightforward.  I got the libwww-perl
  sources from the "official" place (forget where)--not the Debian
  source--and simply followed the directions (pretty much just "make"
  as I recall).  Could be the Debian source package needs to be
  updated?