Subject: Debian on a Compaq Prosignia 4/66

From: David Power <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 12:45:02 -0500

We were just given a Compaq Prosignia 4/66 with 40 MB RAM and a 1.05 GB
SCSI drive to user as a DB Server.  Our preference is to run it under
Linux.  However, it has a built-in SCSI controller.  So far we have
tried
Debian 1.1, 1.1.6, and all of the Debial 2.0.5 alternate boot disks with
no luck in detecting and working with the SCSI controller...

DOS does work on the system as did Novell 3.12.  The system arrived
without
documentation.  So far the email to Compaq asking for the SCSI
controller
equivalent has not been answered.

Any suggestions?  

TIA,

Dave

---

From: "Christopher R. Hertel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 15:15:31 -0500

David,

(Original message quoted below.)

I asked around and got two suggestions:

1) If it's an EISA machine, use the EISA config to find out more about
   the controller.  In particular, you want to know if there is an
   "emulation" mode.  If so, you may want to play with this to see if
   there is a Linux driver for either the emulated or non-emulated
   controller.

2) Check their web site for software that will let you view the
   configuration.  I took a look at the web site.  From your
   description I *guessed* that you have a Prosignia VS.  The docs say
   only that it's a 32-bit integrated controller.  (Helpful, arent'
   they?)

I hope that's some help.

Chris -)-----

On Aug 23, 12:45pm, David Power wrote:
> Subject: Debian on a Compaq Prosignia 4/66
: We were just given a Compaq Prosignia 4/66 with 40 MB RAM and a 1.05
: GB SCSI drive to user as a DB Server.  Our preference is to run it
: under Linux.  However, it has a built-in SCSI controller.  So far we
: have tried Debian 1.1, 1.1.6, and all of the Debial 2.0.5 alternate
: boot disks with no luck in detecting and working with the SCSI
: controller...
:
: DOS does work on the system as did Novell 3.12.  The system arrived
: without documentation.  So far the email to Compaq asking for the
: SCSI controller equivalent has not been answered.
>-- End of excerpt from David Power

-- 
Christopher R. Hertel -)-----                   University of Minnesota
[email-masked]              Networking and Telecommunications Services