Subject: More questions on upgrading...

From: Ricardo Kleemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 11:59:22 -0700

Hi!

I've mirrored most of the debian distribution, and I've gone thru the 
select process in dselect. Basically I'm ready to perform a full upgrade 
to Debian-1.1 now.

But I'm still weary of doing it because I don't want to have much 
downtime since my server is used for others dialing in.

My main question is: Debian-1.1 is all ELF. My current system is a.out, 
including the kernel. If I go ahead with the upgrade from dselect, will 
my current 1.2.13-a.out kernel still be useable once the upgrade is complete?
Or will I have to upgrade the kernel as well (which means I'd have to 
immediately reboot the server).

I want to be able to go thru with the upgrade but not reboot immediately. 
I want to keep the server running while I go thru the kernel upgrade 
process (like compiling a new 2.0.x kernel).

Also, will the current mgetty and pppd I have (a.out) work with the 
upgraded Debian? I will still upgrade those, but, similar to the kernel 
issue, I'd like to be able to continue using my current mgetty/pppd setup 
and upgrade those in a timely fasion.

Suggestions are welcome! :)

Ricardo