Subject: dvips/metafont and Stylus 800

From: Dirk Bernhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Aug 1996 23:24:19 +0200

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hi!

I just installed the whole tex stuff. I now am trying to configure it
to make the fonts for my Epson Stylus 800 printer.

I've changed the dvips-file config.ps:

D 360
M epstylus

and added to Metafont's modes.mf

mode_def epstylus =                     % Epson Stylus (360dpi)
  mode_param (pixels_per_inch, 360);
  mode_param (blacker, .35);
  mode_param (fillin, 0);
  mode_param (o_correction, .8);
  mode_common_setup_;
enddef;

I have these definitions from my former teTeX installation, which
worked fine. However, it does not work. Whenever I want to dvips a
.dvi-file, the following is output:

=====================================================================
This is dvipsk 5.58f Copyright 1986, 1994 Radical Eye Software
' TeX output 1996.08.21:2318' -> ede.ps
kpathsea: Running MakeTeXPK cmr12 360 360 1+0/360 epstylus
Running MakeTeXPK cmr12 360 360 1+0/360 epstylus
Running mf \mode:=epstylus; mag:=1+0/360; scrollmode; input cmr12
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71 (C version 6.1)

(/usr/lib/texmf/fonts/source/public/cm/cmr12.mf
(/usr/lib/texmf/metafont/base/cmbase.mf)
(/usr/lib/texmf/fonts/source/public/cm/roman.mf
(/usr/lib/texmf/fonts/source/public/cm/romanu.mf
The letter A [65]
The letter B [66]
The letter C [67]
The letter D [68]
The letter E [69]
[..cut..]
Opening quotes [92]
En dash [123]
Em dash [124]) ) )
Output written on cmr12.2602gf (128 characters, 254596 bytes).
Transcript written on cmr12.log.
MakeTeXPK failed to make cmr12.360gf.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
dvips: Font cmr12 not found, characters will be left blank.
<texc.pro>. [1] 
===============================================================

Strange, mktexpk tells me every single letter it makes, and saves the
font in a wrong file!?

When I use the nechi-printer (also an 360dpi printer) definitions,
everything works fine, except that the fonts are not printed very
nicely (too thin...)

Any ideas? Is it a known bug? Am I doing wrong something? What can I
do? Thanks for reading.

Ciao,
	- Krid -

---

From: Nils Rennebarth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 14:18:48 +0200 (MET DST)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

>I've changed the dvips-file config.ps:
O.K.

>  mode_param (o_correction, .8);
Did you remake metafonts base file?

(as root say
  mfmakemfbase
  mfmakecmmfbase
)

>Output written on cmr12.2602gf (128 characters, 254596 bytes).
Appears to create a font with standard definitions (which have a fairly
high resolution)

- --
Coming again: Best quotes of the net. Today:          | Nils Rennebarth
Kristian Köhntopp <[email-masked]            | Schillerstr. 61 
>>I'd also be interested in the comparison [of Linux] | 37083 Göttingen
>>with a cisco router. I assume a factor of about ten.| ++49-551-71626
>What? faster or slower?                              | http://www.nus.
Cheaper!                                              | de/~nils