Subject: Squid 1.0.9 available at ftp.fuller.edu

From: [email-masked] (Christoph Lameter)
Date: 24 Aug 1996 19:48:35 -0700

For all those who run the beta version of squid in unstable: There is
the release 1.0.9 available at ftp.fuller.edu/Linux/debian.

I tried to contact the author but no response meanwhile our Webcahce
was crashing every other day.

If you are in the same boat...

---

From: Miquel van Smoorenburg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 12:46:45 +0200

>If you are in the same boat... 

OK, then I guess it's time to upload my "interim" version to master.
I have packaged squid-1.0.9 and have it running on a couple of
machines. I'll upload it to master in a few minutes but in the mean
time you can get it from

ftp://ftp.cistron.nl/pub/people/miquels/alpha/

Mike.

-- 
   Miquel van      | Cistron Internet Services   --    Alphen aan den Rijn.
   Smoorenburg,    | mailto:[email-masked]          http://www.cistron.nl/
[email-masked] | Tel: +31-172-419445 (Voice) 430979 (Fax) 442580 (Data)

---

From: Christoph Lameter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 07:15:16 -0700 (PDT)

?? Why double the work. This was an ad for the debianized version.

On Sun, 25 Aug 1996, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

miquels>In article <[email-masked]> you write:
miquels>>For all those who run the beta version of squid in unstable: There is
miquels>>the release 1.0.9 available at ftp.fuller.edu/Linux/debian.
miquels>>
miquels>>I tried to contact the author but no response meanwhile our Webcahce
miquels>>was crashing every other day.
miquels>>
miquels>>If you are in the same boat... 
miquels>
miquels>OK, then I guess it's time to upload my "interim" version to master.
miquels>I have packaged squid-1.0.9 and have it running on a couple of
miquels>machines. I'll upload it to master in a few minutes but in the mean
miquels>time you can get it from
miquels>
miquels>ftp://ftp.cistron.nl/pub/people/miquels/alpha/
miquels>
miquels>Mike.
miquels>
miquels>-- 
miquels>   Miquel van      | Cistron Internet Services   --    Alphen aan den Rijn.
miquels>   Smoorenburg,    | mailto:[email-masked]          http://www.cistron.nl/
miquels>[email-masked] | Tel: +31-172-419445 (Voice) 430979 (Fax) 442580 (Data)
miquels>

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
{}    Snail Mail:   FTS Box 466, 135 N.Oakland Ave, Pasadena, CA 91182        {}
{}    FISH Internet System Administrator at Fuller Theological Seminary       {}
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
PGP Public Key  =  FB 9B 31 21 04 1E 3A 33  C7 62 2F C0 CD 81 CA B5

---

From: [email-masked] (Miquel van Smoorenburg)
Date: 26 Aug 1996 09:28:51 +0200

In article <[email-masked]>,
>?? Why double the work. This was an ad for the debianized version.

Oh I am sorry. I misunderstood. I've been keeping a debianized version of squid
since squid 1.0.3 at least, and I've been emailing with the original maintainer
(Craig Sanders) about it. It has been my intent for quite some time to make
the Interim release but I didn't hear anything anymore from Craig.

Oh well.

Mike.
-- 
+   Miquel van Smoorenburg   + Cistron Internet Services +  Living is a     |
|  [email-masked] (SP6)  | Independent Dutch ISP     |   horizontal     |
+ [email-masked] + http://www.cistron.nl/    +      fall        +

---

From: [email-masked] (Christoph Lameter)
Date: 26 Aug 1996 17:21:48 -0700

Miquel van Smoorenburg ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]>,
: Christoph Lameter  <[email-masked]> wrote:
: >?? Why double the work. This was an ad for the debianized version.
: 
: Oh I am sorry. I misunderstood. I've been keeping a debianized version of squid
: since squid 1.0.3 at least, and I've been emailing with the original maintainer
: (Craig Sanders) about it. It has been my intent for quite some time to make
: the Interim release but I didn't hear anything anymore from Craig.
: 
: Oh well.
Your version is much better than mine. Running your squid now and have removed mine
from ftp.fuller.edu. Thanks.

---

From: [email-masked] (Gudmundur Ragnar)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 01:57:29 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,

Re: 2 "versions" of squid 1.0.9

> >?? Why double the work.

We should not do that but I have used 1.0.7 from Miquel.
It runs under RunCache as the user "proxy" with the logfile
paths compiled in e.t.c.

What I am trying to say (my native language is Icelandic :-)
is that we could have a consensus about configuration and
deal with problems relating to the install scripts together.
For example I have the cache partitions mounted in the root
but would be willing to move them for compatibility.

Also things relating to md (RAID), performance and kernel
hacking could be things we should work on and possibly end
up with a special kernel and/or a HOWTO.

> This was an ad for the debianized version.

So then this is an ad for a squid optimized debian :-)

Best Regards
Gudmundur Ragnar
[email-masked]
this.is/ragnar

---

From: Craig Sanders <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 11:48:34 +1000 (EST)

On 26 Aug 1996, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> Oh I am sorry. I misunderstood. I've been keeping a debianized version
> of squid since squid 1.0.3 at least, and I've been emailing with the
> original maintainer (Craig Sanders) about it. It has been my intent
> for quite some time to make the Interim release but I didn't hear
> anything anymore from Craig.

sorry, i'm a bit snowed under at work and am finding it difficult to keep
up with my mail.

when we last spoke on this subject you were going to release your interim
version of the squid package. 

In the meantime I've made a package for 1.0.9 but havent released it
because I can't seem to get dpkg to recognise that version 1.0.9 is newer
than 1.0beta16.  I have it working on one of my systems, but getting it
running was nowhere near as simple & straightforward as it should be.

setting the epoch ':1' in the debian.rules file didn't seem to help
- in fact, it made things worse. dselect is still not recognising
1.0.9 as being newer than 1.0beta16. dpkg seemed to get confused about
the version number and thought it was installing version 0.9 when i
installed it by hand.  

This did something weird to /var/lib/dpkg/status, which prevented
dselect from Updating available packages (bombed with a comment about
corrupted status file), which meant that dselect could not upgrade the
system either.  I had to vi the status file to fix it up.

**   NOTE TO IAN J: it looks like there should be some sanity checking
**   of version/epoch numbers, to prevent package maintainers from doing
**   stupid things which will corrupt the status file.

this is probably due to my misunderstanding of how to use epochs in
version numbers.

In debian.rules, I'm doing:

    package=squid
    version=1:1.0.9
    debian=1

this is obviously wrong.  i should re-read the documentation to find out
what i'm doing wrong.

one thing i'm sure of, though: in any future packages of mine which have
'beta' or similar string in the version number, I'm going to add extra
characters to force it to sort lower than any subsequent version. e.g.
instead of version "1.0beta16" i'll use something like "1.0..beta16"

If you want to take over maintaining the package for debian, you're quite
welcome. It seems obvious that I really don't have the time at the
moment to give the squid package the attention it deserves. It's an
important and useful package and my inability to keep it up to date
is causing the debian version to fall farther and farther behind the
upstream release.

I'll mail you what I have done so far (there's probably only one thing
that you might like to merge into your package...my postinst script now
checks if apache is installed, and then checks whether cachemgr.cgi is in
/var/web/cgi-bin.  if it isn't, it offers to make a sym link from
/usr/lib/squid/cachemgr.cgi). 

Craig

---

From: [email-masked] (Miquel van Smoorenburg)
Date: 30 Aug 1996 13:17:25 +0200

In article <[email-masked]>,
>version of the squid package. 

Yeah, though I waited for an OK from you (I thought you wanted to have
a look at it first). Anyway I've uploaded 1.0.9 to master

>running was nowhere near as simple & straightforward as it should be.

That's one of the problems I have too; dselect with distribution
pointed to "stable" downgrades squid-1.0.9 to squid-1.0beta16, alas...
I don't quite understand the epoch stuff either.

>moment to give the squid package the attention it deserves. It's an

I don't really have the time either, but I think I can take it as we
use it on our site ourself and it is important for us to have the latest
(well most stable actually) squid running

>/usr/lib/squid/cachemgr.cgi). 

OK.

Mike.