Subject: How to make dselect shut up?

From: Randy Gobbel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 01:04:56 -0700

I've installed xpaint on my system, and every time I run dselect it complains
about pbmplus being unavailable--even though pbmplus has been superseded by
netpbm, and I have netpbm installed.  Is there some way to get deselect to
stop complaining about this non-problem?  I could go and hack on some files in
/var/lib/dpkg, but that would only work until the next time I do an upgrade
via ftp.  It would be nice to have an option in dselect/dpkg to mark something
as "yeah, I know, enough already" or something like that.

Also: there doesn't seem to be any straightforward way to downgrade a package
using dselect.  There are times when this could be important, like when you
upgrade and it unexpectedly breaks something vital.

-Randy
-- 
http://cogsci.ucsd.edu/~gobbel/

---

From: Ian Jackson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 03:31 BST

> as "yeah, I know, enough already" or something like that.

Which package is it that wants pbmplus ?  The real solution is to get
that fixed so that dselect has the right information.

I agree that an `I know already' option would be a good idea.  Don't
hold your breath waiting for me to implement it.

> upgrade and it unexpectedly breaks something vital.

Use dpkg by hand.

Ian.

---

From: Randy Gobbel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 22:56:05 -0700

>>>>> On Mon, 12 Aug 96 03:31 BST, Ian Jackson <[email-masked]> said:
>> netpbm, and I have netpbm installed.

> that fixed so that dselect has the right information.

It's xpaint.  Yes, all that really needs to be done is to have xpaint suggest
netpbm instead of pbmplus.  Should be utterly trivial.

-Randy

NOTICE: I DO NOT ACCEPT UNSOLICITED COMMERCIAL EMAIL MESSAGES OF ANY KIND.  I
CONSIDER SUCH MESSAGES PERSONAL HARRASSMENT AND A GROSS INVASION OF MY
PRIVACY.