Subject: Re: Using dpkg to install Debian?

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Perens)
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 96 23:47 PDT

From: Barid Bel Medar <[email-masked]>
> Is it possible to install *components* of Debian without having to totally 
> blast away all of the Slackware garbage I have now?  The version I have 
> is old enough that it's due upgrading anyway, and I'd like to switch to 
> Debian piecemeal 'cause of the package stuff being so much easier.  But I 
> don't want to overwrite everything, because I don't want to break the 
> stuff I have right now and because I don't want to spend thirty hours on 
> the net downloading everything. :)

It is much more trouble than it is worth to install the system piecemal
over Slackware. We _can't_ ever support that, even if we wanted to. Sorry.

More stuff will go wrong than would if you did a "cold" install, and you
will end up spending much more time on the project.
If you can add disk or have an extra partition available, we suggest you
install Debian on one partition and have Slackware on another so that you
can copy things from your old partition.

If 30 hours on the net isn't do-able, you might patronize one of the
CD vendors and spend $30 instead. See our web page www.debian.org for
a few vendors.

	Thanks

	Bruce