Subject: Group purchage of REAL 2GB DAT drives - $375

From: rspangle@merope (Randy Spangler)
Date: 2 Dec 1993 22:44:14 GMT

I am setting up a group purchase of Wangtec 6200HS 2GB DAT drives.
These drives differ from the other group purchases (HP 35470, Wangtec
6130HS) in that the 6200HS drive was designed as a 2GB drive from the
ground up.  The 35470 and 6130HS are 1.3GB DAT drives with a firmware
update for 2GB 90min cartridges.  However, the _tensioning_ systems
were not designed to handle the thinner 90min tapes.  Several people
on the net have reported that this may eventually cause the 90min
tapes to stretch and/or break.  This won't happen with the 6200HS.

Normally, these drives are $529.  If we order 10 or more drives, they
are $395 each.  If we order 20 or more, they are $375 each.  This is
about $30 more than the 6130HS - a small price for peace of mind when
using the 90min tapes.

I will be ordering the drives from 

	Corporate Systems Center
	1294 Hammerwood Ave.
	Sunnyvale, CA 94089
	(408) 734-3475 

(the same place the previous group purchase ordered from)

Some specs from the Wangtec fax-back service for the 6200HS:

	Tape length:		90 or 60 meters
	Formatted capacity:	2.0 or 1.3 gigabytes
	Recording format:	DDS

	Interface:		SCSI-1 or SCSI-2 (8 bit)
	Data buffer size:	512KB

	Data transfer rate:
		Asynch		2.8 MB/sec
		Synch		4.8 MB/sec
	Average sustained rate:	183 KB/sec to the tape

	Dimensions:		half-height 5 1/4" drive bay

You can get the full spec sheets and jumper settings from the Wangtec
fax-back service at (805) 582-3381 - documents #3014 (6130HS) and
#3015 (6200HS).

If you are interested in going in on this group purchase, please send
me e-mail at [email-masked].  Do NOT send any money yet -
I need to confirm that enough people are interested.  If there is
adequate interest, I would like to order the drives by the end of next
week.  If you have any questions, you can reach me by e-mail (I check
it frequently) or at (818) 792-1765.

- Randy Spangler

--
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Randy Spangler              |  Author of HOWITZER (386 tank game), available
[email-masked]  |  via anon. ftp at wuarchive.wustl.edu as
CNS grad student            |  /pub/MSDOS_UPLOADS/games/hwitz095.exe