Subject: Linux-Activists Digest #271
From: Digestifier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 93 21:13:10 EDT

Linux-Activists Digest #271, Volume #6           Tue, 28 Sep 93 21:13:10 EDT

Contents:
  Re: WordProcessor (~=TEX) for Linux (Mark A. Davis)
  Re: ET4000 and 32K or more colors on X (Jon Tombs)
  Re: Trantor support in Linux (Drew Eckhardt)
  NET-2 Configuration ?? (Dan Hadad)
  PCI-Board and Linux (Heiko Krupp)
  Re: PC for linux (Philippe Steindl)
  Cannot load font error message (John Fauerbach)
  Re: How does Linux compare to SUN IPC? (the stupid one)
  Colorado streamer (nicolas olle)
  **WARNING: EXPO computers won't work with TCP/IP, NCSA, Linux, ...
  Changing filesystem size???
  dip source code (Sanjoy Mishra)
  Re: Stealth VRAM support for Linux? (Andy Schwalb)
  Re: Linux won't boot from HD (HELP !!) (Julian Day)
  Re: **WARNING: EXPO computers won't work with TCP/IP, NCSA, Linux, ... ("Alex R.N. Wetmore")
  [HELP] Problems with Slackware Linux and 'hostname' (Ian Clysdale)
  Re: SoftLanding Message (William S. Kaster)
  Re: Can't umount! (David Lesher)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Mark A. Davis)
Subject: Re: WordProcessor (~=TEX) for Linux
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1993 18:01:41 GMT

[email-masked] writes:

>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Steef S.G. de Bruijn) writes:
>> |> a la WordPerfect for Linux. 

>I think he means Framemaker for Linux, or 'Word for Linux' :-)

>> Wordperfert sucks (it's no misspell!)

>Don't u mean worddefect, as its know here. We have it one the Vomit Making
>System.

Kindly keep your personal and unproductive comments to your self.  We find
the software to be extremely productive, flexible, cost effective, and
open.  Perhaps you two should tell us which wordprocessors you use and like
so others can say yours suck.  

Also, perhaps you should enlighten us as
to a better wordprocessing system under Unix?  Framemaker isn't bad, but
TERRIBLY expensive.
-- 
  /--------------------------------------------------------------------------\
  | Mark A. Davis    | Lake Taylor Hospital | Norfolk, VA (804)-461-5001x431 |
  | Sys.Administrator|  Computer Services   | [email-masked]   .uucp |
  \--------------------------------------------------------------------------/

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x.i386unix
From: [email-masked] (Jon Tombs)
Subject: Re: ET4000 and 32K or more colors on X
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1993 18:14:46 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (JEFF EPLER) writes:
>Cc: [email-masked]
>
>[email-masked] (Stavros Sotirchos) writes:
>
>>I would like to use more than 256 colors in my X session.
>>Is this possible and if yes how?
>>I must mention that I have a MegaEva/2 card with ET4000 and TruaColor DAC.
>
>As far as I know, no support for greater than eight bits color depth
>is supported by Xfree, and will not be in the next release.

Currently xfree86-2.0 is still using the standard vga 6 bits per color 256
color (8 color plane) mode. There was talk of getting 8 bits per color (for
the ramdacs that support it) before 2.0 but I don't think this is so likely
now - but this is slightly of the subject.

>However, I think that sometime in the future this capability will be
>supported.  (I saw one comment that said, basically, "Wait for 2.1")

To get > 256 colors on an ISA based card then first we require somebody to
port the MIT newcfb 16 bit framebuffer code to the SVGA banked video model.
This is pretty nasty although quite possible. I would expect that a "wait for
2.2" would probably be more accurate time scale. To do 24 bit would require
writing from scratch the framebuffer code. The MIT newcfb code has support
for 32 bit but not 24 bit packed pixels which is unfortunatly what almost
all SVGA cards use (the expection I know of is the S3-928 cards with the
BookTree ramdac which can do 32 bit truecolor - possibly the ATI mach32 can
aswell).

Jon.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Drew Eckhardt)
Subject: Re: Trantor support in Linux
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1993 17:56:27 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Tony White) writes:
>Is there support for the Trantor T130 SCSI card available
>for Linux? I'd really like to use my Panasonic CDR-25!

No.  The Trantor T130 boards are built arround a more integrated,
incompatable version of the chip used in the supported (ALPHA)
Trantor T128/T128F/T228 boards.

-- 
Boycott USL/Novell for their absurd anti-BSDI lawsuit. | Drew Eckhardt, 
Condemn Colorado for Amendment Two.                    | Professional Linux 
Use Linux, the fast, flexible, and free 386 unix       | Consultant
Will administer Unix for food                          | [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Dan Hadad)
Subject: NET-2 Configuration ??
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1993 18:32:51 GMT

I have Slackware 1.0.3 and have tried to configure NET-2  TCP/IP software as in the

NET-2 HOWTO.  When I try to ping something however, the error is :
   
    sendto: Network is unreachable.

When I try to query the status of the interface, ('ifconfig eth0'),  the error is:

    eth0: Unknown interface.

At boottime, the errors produced by 'ifconfig eth0 131.194.137.0 netmask 255.255.255.0' :

 SIOCSIFADDR: Invalid Argument
 SIOCGIFFLAGS: Invalid Argument
 SIOCGIFNETMASK: Invalid Argument

 I'd appreciate any assistance any gurus wish to give.

  - Dan Hadad, at Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas.

  

  "It can only be attributed to human error" 
             -- HAL-9000, 2001: A Space Odyssey.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Heiko Krupp)
Subject: PCI-Board and Linux
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1993 18:24:39 GMT

Hiho...

I couldn't find any article about Linux and PCI-Bus-Boards...
So if anyone knows something about this PLEASE tell me for
I'd like to use a PCI-Board AND Linux...

        Heiko.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Philippe Steindl)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help.misc,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: PC for linux
Date: 28 Sep 1993 19:49:49 +0200

Hello,

well, what follows is my opinion and not an order :-)

Oki, there are some things that this PC *must* be:

- It must have a processor 386sx/16 or higher (intel, amd .. whatever)
- I think you must have at least 2 MB RAM
- A Harddisk bigger than 20 MB (for basic systems)

You will not get very far with these minimum requirements. I would suggest
you get a 486dx or dx2. A 386 can do it, too, but as you will need to
compile a lot with linux (kernel updates all the time), you better go for a
486, since 386 are not much cheaper. For memory: get 8 MB if you will not use
X windows and 16 MB if you want to. You can run X with 8 MB (even with 4 I
heard), but it won't be very pleasant. Harddisk: get at least a 245 MB drive,
IDE or SCSI. Get SCSI if you want to use several disks, cdroms, scsi tapes
or if you simply want to ensure you can move the HardDisk when switching to
another computer system (which will support scsi for most cases). Note: IDE
drives are not slower than scsi ones (well, depends on what model of course).
Monitor: get at least a 15" model .. I would go for a 17" monitor, which is
ideal for 1024x768. The video card: get an accelerated one. Linux runs
with most cards, X with many. I would suggest an S3 chip based cards, since
they offer good speed at good prices. Avoid diamond cards (well, not all are
bad, but you won't get into trouble hopefully without a diamond card).
Especially don't buy a viper: this one is fast, but will maybe never get
drivers in Xwindows. I'm using an orchid VA vlb, and it gives me great speed
under Xwin (there are a *lot* of other nice S3 cards, the best are the S3 928
based ones). Floppy drives: at least a 3.5" drive. Buy a 5.25 drive only if
you need compatibility to your friends 5.25" disks or similar. Then, get a
mouse (needed for Xwin or selection, a cut'n'paste "driver" for terminal use).
Linux supports many mice, even bus mice.
Note that I didn't cite a minimal konfiguration, but with this system you
will have no problems originating from hardware. An estimated price would
be ranging from 2000 to 3000 US$, you may even find it for less (also for mor
:)). If you need more details, send me a mail or ask people on #linux in IRC.
Hope I helped you a bit.

Philippe

PS: I would not buy anything less than the above :) It's more expensive at the
    start, but you won't regret it.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (John Fauerbach)
Subject: Cannot load font error message
Date: 28 Sep 1993 18:59:44 GMT

When I try to run several differnt X programs, I keep getting simular error
message:

XView warning: Cannot load font '-b&h-lucida-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*' (Font package)
XView warning: Cannot load font '-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-*-120-*-*-*-*-*-*' (Font package)

I have loaded all the fonts I can find.  When I do a xlsfonts  I get:

(partial listing)

-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-0-0-75-75-p-0-iso8859-1
-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-10-100-75-75-p-58-iso8859-1
-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-12-120-75-75-p-71-iso8859-1
-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-14-140-75-75-p-81-iso8859-1
-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-18-180-75-75-p-106-iso8859-1
-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-19-190-75-75-p-108-iso8859-1
-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-24-240-75-75-p-136-iso8859-1
-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-8-80-75-75-p-45-iso8859-1

In my Xconfig I have:

FontPath        "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"

What am i doing wrong or missing?  Thanks for any help.

John Fauerbach

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (the stupid one)
Subject: Re: How does Linux compare to SUN IPC?
Date: 28 Sep 1993 20:02:11 GMT

[email-masked] (Rick Kelly) said:

>In article <[email-masked]>
>[email-masked] s.philips.nl (Kees Metzger) writes:

>>My Gateway 2000 4DX2-66V (running Linux) is about 3 times faster than
>>the SS 1+ on a compilation job of about 100,000 lines (in 150 files).

>Of course you really need to document the processes that were running
>on the two systems at the time.

to which [email-masked] (Terje Eggestad) replied:

>I fail to see the purpose, or the sanity of this argument.
>How can you compare hardware to software??

>This is like arguing about how this VCR tape compares to that VCR
>ot how the Cosby show compares to my TV!

i think Rick's point was that we cant tell from Kees's comments whether
there was another user on one of the systems doing a 10^6 point fourier
transform or deconvolving a blurry image with the camera's point spread
function or running a large magnetohydrodynamic simulation or something
even more time-consuming in the background and affecting the speed of
the system

-- 
Bela Lugosi's dead, Jim!

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (nicolas olle)
Subject: Colorado streamer
Date: 28 Sep 1993 21:08:09 GMT

Hello

I would like to obtain informations on the following
subject: I have a 250 Mb streamer (Colorado) connected 
on my pc (IDE). And i would like to use it under Linux.
Then i would like to know :

                1- If it's possible.
                
                2- Then how to proceed.....etc.

Sorry for my english....

                        Thanks.

                                        ||\|\|\|
                                        |      |
===============================         C (o)(o)    "There are things known
- E-Mail : [email-masked]    -         |      _)    and things unknown and 
===============================         |  ,___|  in beetween are the doors..."
                                        |     /          J.M.
                                        |----/

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1993 14:13:33 MST
From: <[email-masked]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware
Subject: **WARNING: EXPO computers won't work with TCP/IP, NCSA, Linux, ...

   A few netters reported networking problems with EXPO computers. It
seems that Expo Computers Inc. is not committed to making their computers
compatible with LINUX, TCP/IP, etc.  Here is a summary of my telephone
conversation with one of their Tech-Support people:

  1.  Expo Computers are not guaranteed to work with Linux, TCP/IP,
      NCSA software.  The only network software they tested are:
             NOVELL, Windows/NT
  2.  Expo computers uses 8-bit SIMM and 8-bit Cache.  They will NOT
      exchange 9-bit SIMM and 9-bit Cache for you even if this is
      highly suspected to be causing the problems.
        **NOTE**  8-bit SIMMs are usually used in MACs.  Very few 486
                  PCs use them.
  3.  EXPO computers are designed for the general public ONLY, NOT for
      scientific/computing people.
  4.  EXPO Computers Inc. will not do any exchange if the machine is
      not working with TCP/IP, LINUX, NCSA.  In other words, they
      will not do any exchange if you are running into problems with
      software which is not tested by their lab.

If you don't consider the above appropriate, please either email me or
call Dan Swanson at (800)-288-3243 (Tech Support). I will forward any
comments from the network community to EXPO Tech and post their response
later.

Thank you very much for your support.  If you are also having problems
with an EXPO computer, please send me your name, phone number, and Email
address.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Changing filesystem size???
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1993 21:26:52 GMT

Hi all,

I was wondering whether it is possible in Linux to increase the size of a
filesystem without having to recreate the entire filesystem.  

Tom

-- 
===============================================================================
\ Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception  /
\ of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.                              /
===============================================================================
\\\\\\\\                        Thomas  Otake                         /////////
\\\\    [email-masked]    \\_//    [email-masked]     ////
===============================================================================

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Sanjoy Mishra)
Subject: dip source code
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1993 19:48:37 GMT

Hello:

  DIP program seems to be a nice interface for dial out and slip
  connections. Does anyone know where I can find source code for
  the DIP. I would like to try on my PC running SVR4. If not ported
  yet I will try to port it.

  Thanks for all your help.
--

______________________________________________________________________________
Sanjay K. Mishra                      Work: 407-242-4333       
[email-masked]                 Home: 407-242-4333
The opinions expressed are my own and do not in any way represent Harris Corp.
==============================================================================

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Andy Schwalb)
Subject: Re: Stealth VRAM support for Linux?
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1993 22:35:42 GMT

Diego A. Aranda ([email-masked]) wrote:
:    After hearing some very positive comments about Linux, I decided to go
: ahead and install it on my system.  Before doing so, I read all the FAQs
: and information I could find, and I discovered that Diamond cards are not
: supported.

:    I was told by an expert Linux user that the video drivers necessary
: for using a Diamond Stealth VRAM with Linux are available somewhere
: on the net.  I'd like to know where I might possibly find them, how solid
: they are, and how to go about installing them (being new to Linux, I
: haven't the slightest).

:   If you have any information, please e-mail me, as I'm rather anxious to
: try out Linux with X-Windows.  Thank you.
:  
: -- 

: +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
: | Diego A. Aranda | [email-masked] | Texas A&M University | CS | U-3 |
: +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Likewise for a VIPER VLB 2 meg card from diamond.  It uses the Weitec 9000
graphics chip

[email-masked]

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Julian Day)
Subject: Re: Linux won't boot from HD (HELP !!)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1993 22:43:39 GMT

Jesper Honig Spring ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Hello,

: I've just installed Linux for the first time. When I try to
: boot Linux from my HD (214 Mb allocated for Linux) the
: system halts with the following message printed in CGA-mode:

:  "NO ROM BASIC - SYSTEM HALTED"
You need to make your linux partition active using fdisk. 

Julian Day
=====
no sig.                 ([email-masked])

------------------------------

From: "Alex R.N. Wetmore" <[email-masked]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware
Subject: Re: **WARNING: EXPO computers won't work with TCP/IP, NCSA, Linux, ...
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1993 19:31:28 -0400

Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware: 28-Sep-93 **WARNING:
EXPO computers w.. by [email-masked] 
>   2.  Expo computers uses 8-bit SIMM and 8-bit Cache.  They will NOT
>       exchange 9-bit SIMM and 9-bit Cache for you even if this is
>       highly suspected to be causing the problems.
>         **NOTE**  8-bit SIMMs are usually used in MACs.  Very few 486
>                   PCs use them.

Not only macs, but just about every workstation on the market as well. 
In fact PC's are the only machines that I know of that have a parity bit
anymore.  If you think that 8-bit SIMMS are causing you problems why not
get a good memory checker (like QAPlus or testext) and run it for a few
hours.  I strongly doubt that the simms are causing you any problems,
and if they are most simm manufactures warrant their stuff for life now.

I agree with the rest of what was said though, and I would agree that if
the above is true that people shouldn't buy their machines.

alex

------------------------------

From: Ian Clysdale <[email-masked]>
Subject: [HELP] Problems with Slackware Linux and 'hostname'
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1993 18:26:23 GMT

        Recently I set up Slackware Linux running on my PC, and have it
pretty much running well right now, except for one small problem --
it refuses to define my hostname; it came defined as 'darkstar' in
the distribution that I got, and refuses to change.
        I did a little reading, and found out that apparently the command
"hostname -S elanon" should change the name of my system to "elanon",
but whenever I do that, it responds with "unknown system "elanon" ".
Even when I tried hostname -S darkstar for a test, it still responded
'unknown system "darkstar" '.  
        If anyone can help, please reply via e-mail to 
[email-masked]  Thank you very much.

                                                                                -Ian!

Ian Clysdale                                    |  |    One .sig file to rule them all,
Co-Op, Bell Northern Research   |  |    One .sig file to find them,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.        |  |    One .sig file to bring them all,
#include<stdisclaim.h>                  |  |    And in the memory bind them.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (William S. Kaster)
Subject: Re: SoftLanding Message
Date: 29 Sep 1993 00:30:25 GMT

Yes.  getty displays /etc/issue.

--
=====
William S. Kaster        
email: [email-masked]   

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (David Lesher)
Subject: Re: Can't umount!
Date: 28 Sep 1993 20:43:02 -0400
Reply-To: [email-masked] (David Lesher)

>umount won't work if the target directory (of a subdirectory thereof) is
>the current directory of at least one process (including your shell).

I've also found that if you mount the same partition more than
once, as I did while screwing around with bootutil, umount won't
no matter how hard you try.

-- 
A host is a host from coast to [email-masked] 
& no one will talk to a host that's close............[301] 56-LINUX
Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433
is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

------------------------------

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

The service address, to which questions about the list itself and requests
to be added to or deleted from it should be directed, is:

    Internet: [email-masked]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux) via:

    Internet: [email-masked]

Linux may be obtained via one of these FTP sites:
    nic.funet.fi				pub/OS/Linux
    tsx-11.mit.edu				pub/linux
    tupac-amaru.informatik.rwth-aachen.de	pub/msdos/replace

The current version of Linux is 0.99pl9 released on April 23, 1993

End of Linux-Activists Digest
******************************