Subject: Linux-Activists Digest #277
From: Digestifier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 93 20:13:09 EDT

Linux-Activists Digest #277, Volume #6           Thu, 30 Sep 93 20:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  A few problems with LINUX (Nicholas Johann Oddson)
  video driver for orchid 1280 (jeremy milikow)
  Looking for info about MacLinux (Johnathon Suker)
  LILO and MBR (dikui021)
  Re: SoftLanding Message (Miguel Alvarez Blanco)
  Re: Kernel taking 2 meg of ram?? (Frank Lofaro)
  Please use the real linux (comp.os.linux.*) groups (Frank Lofaro)
  Re: WordProcessor (~=TEX) for Linux (David Wright)
  Re: Looking for info about MacLinux ([email-masked])
  Re: Installing Linux ([email-masked])
  Re: Please use the real linux (comp.os.linux.*) groups (Carl Johnson)
  Re: ATI Graphics Ultra Pro X problems (Bao Chau Ha)
  Re: HARDWARE: Mitsumi LU005S CD-ROM anyone? (Grant R. Guenther)
  Ethernet error message  (Russell Nelson)
  Re: WHAT HAVE I TO DO TO SET UP THE .PROFILE (Douglas Henke)
  Installing Linux from Hard Drive (Dave Mueller)
  how getting XENIX-Support (J”rg Bowinkelmann)
  Re: Dead DIP (Gary Anderson)
  #### PLEASE, DON'T CROSSPOST ##### (Karsten Steffens)
  Re: Oakdriver for X (Wobutt)
  NE600 ethernet board (Wobutt)
  Re: Forward: QIC-80 (A Wizard of Earth C)
  Re: kermit drop lines on exit (Andrew R. Tefft)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Nicholas Johann Oddson)
Subject: A few problems with LINUX
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1993 16:35:45 GMT

I just installed LINUX for the first time yesterday, and I've ran across
a few problems with it and my machine... maybe someone can give me a clue
to what's going on.

First of all, I tried to use LINUX with a 100MB partition, which it didn't
seem to like.  It complain that it wouldn't be able to use something like
70000 sectors, so I divided it up into two 50MB partitions.  What could
be the problem there?

Also, EVERY single time I boot LINUX, my keyboard is fried.....  it will
type approximately 3-4 characters each time I hit a key (ie.  it repeats
quite rapidly).  I thought it was typematic rate problem so I changed all
my CMOS settings to try and correct the problem, but it didn't seem to
help.  However, if I unplug my keyboard after LINUX has booted and then
plug it back in, then the keyboard is totally fine.

Anyone have any idea what that could be?

Thanks to all.

==============================================================================
Nicholas Johann Oddson
178 Sunview Street
Waterloo, ON
(519)747-4852

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (jeremy milikow)
Subject: video driver for orchid 1280
Date: 30 Sep 1993 17:26:37 GMT

 I'm trying to get Xwindows working but 
I don't know what driver will work with my system. I've got
an orchid 1280 vga video card and a sony multiscanHG monitor. 
please e-mail me.

                                          Thanks.

                                                 -Jeremy

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Johnathon Suker)
Subject: Looking for info about MacLinux
Date: 30 Sep 93 15:44:12 GMT

Netters,

        Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I am looking for 
any information about a Macintosh port of Linux.  I am interested even if it
is in alpha testing or not for general release.

                                        Thanks in advance,

                                                Johnathon
--
Johnathon Suker                   |   Thats SULTAN vile betrayer to you!
University of California, Irvine  |  
University Library                |             Iago
[email-masked]                   |             Aladdin

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (dikui021)
Subject: LILO and MBR
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1993 17:41:06 GMT

Hi Linuxers,

I've installed lilo on my two-disk SCSI system on which i also run
(ran) OS/2 and occasionally DOS. LILO has installed itself on the
Master Boot Record and is unable to boot OS/2. It can, however,
occasionally boot OS/2's Boot Manager, but that seems to have 
crashed, why I dont know.

How do I boot OS/2 from LILO? OS/2 and Linux Swap is on disk 1
and Linux fs and DOS is on disk 2. I dunno where the MBR is,
presumably on disk 1, but DOS FDISK says the disk is not
startable and furthermore Linux FDISK and DOS FDISK swap
the drives such that /dev/sda == disk2 and /dev/sdb == disk2.

What's going on?

maz
([email-masked])

------------------------------

Subject: Re: SoftLanding Message
From: [email-masked] (Miguel Alvarez Blanco)
Date: 30 Sep 93 19:06:07 +0100

Brett Michaels ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Thanks for the help.  The file /etc/issue contains this message.  You can
: edit it or remove to your liking.  

: Anyone know whta program/script calls displays this file?

I've deleted it sometime ago, but I think it should be in /etc/rc or
/etc/rc.local

     Miguel Alvarez Blanco           "All that is gold does not glitter,
[email-masked]      not all those who wander are lost."
  [email-masked]                   Bilbo Baggins.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
From: [email-masked] (Frank Lofaro)
Subject: Re: Kernel taking 2 meg of ram??
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 93 05:15:56 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Mr KAA. Smith) writes:
>G'day,
>  I recently compiled my pl11 kernel with the net2 stuff installed. No probs
>  with net2, btw.  I implemented plip and slip in the linux/net/inet/CONFIG
>  file and compiled.  No errors, but when I rebooted, I found the kernel
>  was taking around 2 megs of my ram! (1.6 meg data, if I remember rightly).
>
>  Does anyone have any clues?
>
>Keith

        Ouch! Did you enable kernel profiling when you compiled the kernel? 
If so, that's probably it; recompile without it if you want the kernel to be a 
more reasonable size. Kernel profiling takes a _*LOT*_ of RAM indeed!

(I know from what I heard on the net, and from personal experience! ;)

P.S. It would be a good idea to put this in the FAQ, since not many people 
are aware of it, and it does make such a difference, especially on machines 
with little RAM.

P.P.S. I'm moving this to comp.os.linux.help; comp.os.linux is being phased 
out. Follow-ups are directed to comp.os.linux.help.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Frank Lofaro)
Subject: Please use the real linux (comp.os.linux.*) groups
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 93 05:18:58 GMT

Please try to migrate to the new comp.os.linux.* groups, it is easier for 
all when posts are made in those groups. Thanks.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (David Wright)
Subject: Re: WordProcessor (~=TEX) for Linux
Date: 30 Sep 93 13:01:14 GMT

=====BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE=====

>>>>> "MAD" == Mark A Davis <[email-masked]> writes:
  MAD> We have over 40 printers in use with over 6 models.  We have never had ANY
  MAD> printing problems.  (Use "Other Spooler", works just fine here for 1 year).

        I have to agree. If someone can't get WP to work on their system, THEY
are doing something wrong, NOT WP. We have been using various incarnations of
WP for Unix since the very early 5.0 versions, after using MS Word for Unix
very briefly, and Lyrix 5 & 6 before that. WP is the best WP on just about ANY
platform, as long as what you want to do is WP, *NOT* desktop publishing or
something like that.

        I can only WISH that the "normal" system spooler worked as well as the
one in WP. I love being able to tell what is queued up where, what page it is
currently printing, how many more to go, etc.

  MAD> (AND AT NO CHARGE). Etc....   My hat goes off to WordPerfect Corp. for being
  MAD> a long-term supporter of Unix.  Their text version is EXTREMELY stable
  MAD> and yes, they are having a few problems with their FIRST X piece of
  MAD> software; of which 3/4 of the problems were corrected with the 4/93 release.

        Hear Hear. Except that the text version of 5.1 for SCO has some real
bugs with regards to using "view document" (it likes to lock up the
VT beyond recovery, and you can't ALT-Fx to another one), and with the formula
and table creation features (which also use graphics mode). But overall, you
would have a real hard time finding something that gave you ALL the features
you get with WP, with the level of support you get from WP, for the price of
WP.
        Most of the time people complain it seems to be from people who don't
like WP at all anyway, but are forced to use it for office-political reasons.

                                                        Dave

=====BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE=====
Version: 2.3a

iQCVAgUBLKrYgm++A+T9du0zAQEiFgQAku2SynQNuNmWFqvHJMT+1u7bySUlwwuJ
NeBpkeVGGxuiOteRl78021o0e8r+YhrvltAvxEUtgzOLHU5AK5Vm/l8Ov+Ouv8pp
oI/oX41SR+CJ/wzzVY8hNwjXrbDLi83mBOVJCX11BHdHVEGHYBzzqE/UEQY29pQb
Mp5iIYVunuE=
=Rto8
=====END PGP SIGNATURE=====

--
  ____________________________________________________________________________
 |        /\ /          | Prism Computer Applications        |  David Wright  |
 |      -/--\--         | 14650 Detroit Ave, Suite LL40      | [email-masked] |
 |      /____\          | Lakewood, OH 44107  USA            |  216-228-1400  |

------------------------------

From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Looking for info about MacLinux
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1993 19:08:47 GMT

Johnathon Suker ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Netters,

:       Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I am looking for 
: any information about a Macintosh port of Linux.  I am interested even if it
: is in alpha testing or not for general release.

   Ask Dan Quinlan.  I believe he has even ported Linux to his
refrigerator.

;-)

-- 
Rich Mulvey                 Amateur Radio: N2VDS              Rochester, NY
[email-masked]         "Ignorance should be painful."

------------------------------

From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Installing Linux
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1993 19:09:53 GMT

A.S.Williams ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I've just come across this group and I was wondering what files I need to
: install Linux.
: Also, what can Linux do?  Can it run DOS programs via a shell?  Does it require
: its own partition like xenix?

   The FAQ's are posted on a regular basis.  

-- 
Rich Mulvey                 Amateur Radio: N2VDS              Rochester, NY
[email-masked]         "Ignorance should be painful."

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
From: [email-masked] (Carl Johnson)
Subject: Re: Please use the real linux (comp.os.linux.*) groups
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1993 20:06:51 GMT

[email-masked] (Frank Lofaro) writes:
: Please try to migrate to the new comp.os.linux.* groups, it is easier for 
: all when posts are made in those groups. Thanks.

Not only that, but many of us will remove comp.os.linux when the rmgroup
message comes through in a few weeks.  So you should switch to the new
groups if you want your messages to be read in the future.
-- 

Carl Johnson              [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Bao Chau Ha)
Subject: Re: ATI Graphics Ultra Pro X problems
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1993 19:40:50 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Stefan Wolf) writes:
>Hi,
>i had the same problem with my ATI GUP. What solved my problem was 
>reconfiguring the Card to seperated VGA and accelerator mem.
>My card was set to mem=shared and X messed up the screen on leaving.
>With setting VGA ram size to 256, 512 or 1024 byte my screen is now
>ok. This change can be done with the install utility that came with the
>ATI card.

Thanks.  It works.

Bao

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Grant R. Guenther)
Subject: Re: HARDWARE: Mitsumi LU005S CD-ROM anyone?
Date: 30 Sep 1993 16:09:19 -0400

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] 
(Tom Reynolds) writes:
>Thus spake SEAN MICHAEL SCOGGINS :
>>Is anyone using the Mitsumi LU005S CD-ROM with Linux?  I found no

>Configuring the Mitsumi to work with Linux is a snap.   In fact, pl13 has
>Mitsumi support in the kernel code (pl12 may, too).  If you're working with
>some older kernel (?)  UPGRADE! No, seriously, there is a patch somewhere
>on tsx to your kernel sources for support.  It's by a guy name Martin Harris.
>It's called, I think mcd-somtheting.tar.z 

Watch out, though, the patches on tsx-11 DO NOT support the LU005S.  The
code in pl13 does.  I'm using pl10, so I used the kernel patches from 
mcd-0.3 and modified them for the mcd.c and mcd.h that are in the pl13 
source kit.

==========================================================================
Grant R. Guenther,  Math & Comp. Sci., Laurentian U, Sudbury, Ont., Canada
[email-masked]                          We are everywhere
==========================================================================

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Russell Nelson)
Subject: Ethernet error message 
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 93 19:04:55 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:

   I keep getting ethernet error messages:
   
   eth0: transmit timed out, TX status 0x3, ISR 0x3.
   eth0: Possible IRQ conflict on IRQ3?
   
   but TCP/IP seems to be OK.  Are there something wrong with my setup?
   I am using 3c503 (AUI, 8 bit), SLS 1.03 (0.99.13).

How many serial ports?  COM2 usually uses IRQ 3.  IRQ 5 is usually
safe if you must use a lower one.

-russ <[email-masked]> What canst *thou* say?
Crynwr Software           Crynwr Software sells packet driver support.
11 Grant St.              315-268-1925 Voice  |  LPF member - ask me about
Potsdam, NY 13676         315-268-9201 FAX    |  the harm software patents do.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc.help,comp.os.linux
From: [email-masked] (Douglas Henke)
Subject: Re: WHAT HAVE I TO DO TO SET UP THE .PROFILE
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1993 21:36:37 GMT

[Various people ask about how to get their shell to work right, and in
particular what the bash equivalent of csh's .cshrc and .login files are.]

The file /etc/profile is sourced by bash. Put things in here that everyone
will want to do (like setting a default path, etc.). Bash then looks in
your home directory for a file called .bash_profile and sources that on
login.

To find out how to write bash scripts, see the manual page for bash.

For example, to set an environment variable, you would write:

MYVAR=some_value
export MYVAR

Note that although /bin/sh is actually bash, bash looks at the name used to
invoke it and behaves differently depending on that name.

                                        -DGH

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Dave Mueller)
Subject: Installing Linux from Hard Drive
Date: 30 Sep 93 21:56:11 GMT

I'm trying to install Linux from my Hard Drive instead of having to put
everything on floppies.

But, I can't seem to get sysinstall to do this!  Could someone give me the
steps necessary to do this!  Including what directories/files you need on
the C: drive.

Thanx a bunch!

Dave

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (J”rg Bowinkelmann)
Subject: how getting XENIX-Support
Date: 30 Sep 1993 22:30:51 GMT

Hi Linux-Freaks,
SLS 1.03 runs realy wunderful (mostly), creating a new kernel is no
problem, mostly, except if you want the promised Xenix-Filesystem
support.
Is there anybody who know how I can create a kernel with Xenix-File-
system support...?

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Gary Anderson)
Subject: Re: Dead DIP
Date: 30 Sep 1993 23:01:40 GMT

Brett Michaels ([email-masked]) wrote:

: I have been working with DIP and SLS 1.0.3.  I followed all of the latest
: NET-2 instructions.

: When I use DIP I can not get it to talk to the modem.  I have a 14.4 modem
: attached to /dev/cua1.  

: I use:

:       dip -t

:       >port /dev/cua1
:       >speed 9600
:       >reset          (nothing happens to the modem)
:       >dial xxxxxxx   (no string is sent)

: Then when I exit dip via a ^C, the modem line is frozen for use by other
: comm. programs.  I have to reboot.  No processes seeem to be runningnas
: shown by ps.

: The /dev/cua1 and moem work fine for normal telecom.

: Any clues?

Brett,
If I remember correctly, the old NET2-FAQ, and the new HOWTO for NET2 give a DIP
script somewhere near the end of the document.  Some modems have trouble with the
'reset' command.  What I did to make the script reliably wake up my modem is added
a couple of lines right after the 'reset' command:
ATZ0\r\n
wait OK 3
Also note the old method of setting the remote and local IP addresses is changed in
the newer flavors of DIP.  You now have to use 'get $remote x.x.x.x' and 
'get local x.x.x.x' where 'x' is the appropriate IP address.  Other than that, the
script in the document seems to work for me.
Good Luck.

Gary Anderson
[email-masked]

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Karsten Steffens)
Subject: #### PLEASE, DON'T CROSSPOST #####
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1993 18:14:09 GMT

Hello fellow Linuxers, please take a decision: the decision where to post
your messages. I find it rather annoying, when I see many articles in
COL  and the same in COL.* (except COL.Announce, because its moderated). The
list is split up that long now, most sites now should carry all the COL.* now.
Or am I wrong there?

Best regards, and happy Linuxing! Karsten
-- 
==================>         Karsten Steffens        <=====================
   [email-masked]          |      [email-masked]
Marl - close to Recklinghausen     |         Institut fuer Kernphysik
  North of the Ruhrgebiet          |   Westf.Wilhelms-Universitaet Muenster

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Wobutt)
Subject: Re: Oakdriver for X
Date: 30 Sep 1993 17:32:51 -0600

Yes,I'd also like to find a driver for this card,so if anyone has any
ideas..please email me or reply here...

Thanks.

Robert Franklin
[email-masked]

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Wobutt)
Subject: NE600 ethernet board
Date: 30 Sep 1993 17:35:42 -0600

is this type of ethernet board compatible with linux?
I have SLS 1.03 is that helps any...

thanks

Robert franklin
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.386bsd.bugs
From: [email-masked] (A Wizard of Earth C)
Subject: Re: Forward: QIC-80
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 93 23:34:56 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Holger Veit)
forwards for [email-masked] who writes:
>
>       I've seen your suggestion regarding the creation of support
>for the Mitsumi CD Rom Drive, and certainly it's a wise move, I could
>never understand why very popular and cheap hardware was kind of
>"snubbed at" my most of the recent OS (including Unixware, NT etc.).
>       There's though an area that needs even more attention (in my
>opinion at least), namely  the support for the most popular (and cheap)
>streamers.  I'm sure very few can afford QIC-02 or SCSI-based tape strea-
>mers, however, almost everybody I know has a Colorado or Irwin model
>(that can be had for less than a _third_ of the price of a QIC-02 or
>a SCSI model) (thanks to Microsoft, due to the inherent instability of 
>Windows it made everybody buy a streamer ;-) ).

There are beta drivers that have been posted both for the Mitsumi CDROM
and for the streaming floppy tape devices.  The Mitsumi is a good addition
to the drivers, although it contributes to "kernel bloat" in many cases,
since the majority of people don't have a Mitsumi CDROM drive and thus
supporting it by default in an already tight-on-space kernel can be
argued to be a bad thing.

The Streaming floppy tape support is an altogether different issue, and is
based on some bad architectural choices by the designers of the devices.
The most serious of these, the timing constraints, almost invariably end
with drivers with buzz-loops in them for timing because the system clock
can not be trusted to force rescheduling sufficiently quickly, given its
10mS "tick" frequency (HZ for LBOLT is 100, in explict terms).

This tends to be bad; just like the original Archive/Computone tape
drivers for SCO systems, actively running the tape drive kills everything
else on the system as the tape driver buzz-loops so as to not miss its
timing window and nothing else is allowed to run.  Among other things,
this results in QIC-40/80 drives being totally useless for network
backup, and extremely slow because the archiving programs (like tar and
cpio) are not allowed to interleave their execution with that of the tape
drive -- nor is the disk driver, for that matter.

DOS doesn't have a problem with this because all DOS programs, by definition,
eat the machine.

The cannonical soloution is to either up the LBOLT clock resoloution to
1 or 2 mS (there is a 2.5mS timing window for a particular operation) and
add a real-time scheduling queue that gets exampined before all other run
queues.  This is the soloution taken by several UNIX variants, mostly those
with real-time extensions intrinsic to the OS.  This works, but is, all
things considered, an unsatisfactory approach, since timing differences
still must be resolved by buzz-looping at about 30% of your system (at 1mS
resoloution -- HZ=1000) or 60% of your system (HZ=500).

A more correct soloution is to move the lbolt clock to one of the other
clocks and use the current LBOLT clock (since it is a better clock) to
implement queued timer events for a high resoloution timer (the highest
resoloution event being used as the discriminator).  This allows the
driver to schedule processing a set interval after the last set of
processing, and in general will result in a vastly reduced system load.
Since the TQE's are resolved in kernel space, there is not an issue of
scheduling a user process at sufficient resoloution.

There are two other (minor) fixes that need to be implemented to complete
the "lowest overhead" scenario.  The first is to allocate a minimum of a
32k buffer in kernel space (again, like the Mitsumi driver, an expensive
proposition) to be used by the tape driver, and another 32k buffer as a
user-to-kernel transfer area (if you are willing to block the user process
in the driver, the second area is unnecessary assuming some even factor of
32k as the transfer block size).  The 32k buffer is then used for a single
continuous transfer without intervention; this will allow the driver to
stream on an unloaded system.

The next fix is related to the first, in that 32k is the minimum hunk to
allow timer initiated seeks or transfers within the second timing window
of 200mS.  The important point is that if data is not ready, the drive
can be kept happy without losing its place by issuing a seek operation
on 200mS boundries; it is critical that neither the "keepalive seek" or
the 2.5mS window require a particular process context to be active --
that is they should be kernel triggered events -- to minimize the impact
on the scheduler code.  Since this context may be swapped at the time
(being that it is in an I/O wait) this provides another rationale for the
second kernel transfer buffer.

Finally, no matter what implementation is used, it should be noted that each
vendor is not sufficiently constrained by the wording of the standard; this
means that it is nearly impossible to write a single driver that operates,
for instance, a Colorado Systems Jumbo 250, and some other vendors QIC-40/80
drive without rewriting, at a minimum, the initialization code.  This adds
a *large* amount of complexity to the project, namely because some vendors
believe that other vendors may want to adopt their way of doing things (fat
chance) and so won't let out programming info without non-disclosure... and
since source code constitutes disclosure... you get the drift.  It's exactly
the Diamond dot clock problem all over again.  Someone needs to hit the
hardware vendors over the head and tell them we don't care who can better
optimize boot code, it's how fast it runs that matters.

Just because something is ubiquitous, doesn't mean that it is standard...
QIC-40/80 drives are just the best example we have so far.

                                        Terry Lambert
                                        [email-masked]
---
Any opinions in this posting are my own and not those of my present
or previous employers.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
From: [email-masked] (Andrew R. Tefft)
Subject: Re: kermit drop lines on exit
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1993 23:23:50 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Laurent Chavey) writes:
>escape sequence back to kermit on linux
>kermit>!term </dev/modem >/dev/modem &
>kermit> exit
>
>here is the problem, my connection is dropped.

Yes, there is the problem -- the exit. When you exit kermit, it
drops dtr which hangs up the modem. If you don't want to "waste"
the shell that's running kermit, then after (or before) you
start term, suspend kermit -- at the kermit> prompt hit ctl-Z.
Then after you kill your term process, fg to get back to kermit
(you may have to CONnect back to the remote).

I always suspend kermit rather than running term (or rz/sz)
via !, so that I don't accidentally quit and drop my connection.
Instead I just have to remember there's a kermit in the background :-)
-- 

Andy Tefft               - new, expanded .sig -     [email-masked]

------------------------------

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

The service address, to which questions about the list itself and requests
to be added to or deleted from it should be directed, is:

    Internet: [email-masked]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux) via:

    Internet: [email-masked]

Linux may be obtained via one of these FTP sites:
    nic.funet.fi				pub/OS/Linux
    tsx-11.mit.edu				pub/linux
    tupac-amaru.informatik.rwth-aachen.de	pub/msdos/replace

The current version of Linux is 0.99pl9 released on April 23, 1993

End of Linux-Activists Digest
******************************