Subject: Linux-Activists Digest #281
From: Digestifier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 93 13:13:05 EDT

Linux-Activists Digest #281, Volume #6            Sat, 2 Oct 93 13:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Forward: QIC-80 (Denis Fortin)
  Re: how getting XENIX-Support (Joe Portman)
  DLL Jump 4.4pl (Chris Fuller)
  Re: IDE Support ([email-masked])
  Re: WHAT HAVE I TO DO TO SET UP THE .PROFILE (Savio Lam)
  How can one switch between DOS and LINUX? ([email-masked])
  Re: Oakdriver for X (Rick D. Hochhalter)
  .xinitrc problem. (Maciej Otreba)
  How set time zone? (Jim Matthews)
  Adeptec 1542 w. 2GB Micropolicer harddisk? (Johan Sultan)
  >Re: Forward: QIC-80 (Gareth Bult)
  Re: Dead DIP (Gareth Bult)
  Re: ps doesn't work (Gareth Bult)
  Re: A few problems with LINUX (Gareth Bult)
  telnet hangs... (Brett Michaels)
  Yggdrasil cdrom problem booting (Frederick J. Goodrum)
  Welcome to the comp.os.linux.* hierarchy! (Matt Welsh)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.386bsd.bugs,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.misc
From: [email-masked] (Denis Fortin)
Subject: Re: Forward: QIC-80
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1993 05:07:29 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> Kostas Kourakis writes:
>       I've seen your suggestion regarding the creation of support
>for the Mitsumi CD Rom Drive [on 386BSD], and certainly it's a wise move, I 
>could never understand why very popular and cheap hardware was kind of
>"snubbed at" my most of the recent OS (including Unixware, NT etc.).

Actually, Windows NT now has a shareware (cheap, $20 I think) driver for
the Mitsumi CDROM drive written by a fellow in Germany (Email: 
[email-masked])...  Which means I may buy one if I can find 
one for cheap again (a local store had them for about $200 recently).

Windows NT also supports some inexpensive floppy-based tape drives 
(QIC-40/QIC-80), such as the CMS Jumbo-250...  (I have the Hardware
compatibility list somewhere)

Anyway, my intent is not to start another "my O/S is better than
your O/S" war, but just to point out something I'd just discovered.
(Yay! I may be back in the market for a CDROM and tape drive soon.)

(For the record, I run both NT and FreeBSD at home, so I'm not biased ;-)
--
Denis, [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Joe Portman)
Subject: Re: how getting XENIX-Support
Date: 1 Oct 1993 19:04:59 -0700

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (J”rg Bowinkelmann) writes:

>Hi Linux-Freaks,
>SLS 1.03 runs realy wunderful (mostly), creating a new kernel is no
>problem, mostly, except if you want the promised Xenix-Filesystem
>support.

Umm, Xenix FS support is still alpha. For the older kernels you can
get a set of patches from tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/ALPAH/xenixfs
I don't recommend them, as during my testing with PL11,PL12 and PL13 kernels
they consistenly fried my test file system. Your mileage may vary.

For a more up to date set of patches you can contact:
Bruno Haible, [email-masked] and ask him for
the latest set of patches that implements Xenix, Coherent and SysV file
system. I am using them with a clean PL13 kernel and they seem to work fine.

NOTE: These patches are still considered ALPHA software, so you will be
using them at your own risk.

As a side note, there was no support for the Xenix Divvy Table or the
Xenix bad-tracking/aliasing. I have implemented clean patches for both
and am using them daily in product to produce backups. Mail to me if you
would like to have these.

> Is there anybody who know how I can create a kernel with Xenix-File-
>system support...?
Yup. :-)

-- 
=============================
Joe Portman (Westin Hotels & Resorts)
NOTE: These opinions are my own and not those of my employer

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Chris Fuller)
Subject: DLL Jump 4.4pl
Date: 1 Oct 1993 22:11 CST

I originally tried to install SLS, but after installing the first series,
the system started reporting an incompatibility on boot-up.  It struck me
as funny that an entire distribution package would have such an incompat-
ibility.... but I managed to find TAMU and have used it without trouble,
but I still get this same sort of error and a core dump every single time
I try to run something like the DOSEMU package.  What the heck is wrong
and how can I fix it?

[email-masked]  (Chris Fuller)

p.s.:  If this is in the FAQs, I'm sorry.... but I looked and I couldn't
      find it....

------------------------------

From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: IDE Support
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1993 03:51:07 GMT

Dave Rasmussen ([email-masked]) wrote:

: Does Linux support hard drives on a IDE VLbus controller?

   Yes, I used it ( temporarily ) on a Compudyne 486DX2-66 with
an IDE Vesa LB.

- Rich

-- 
Rich Mulvey                 Amateur Radio: N2VDS              Rochester, NY
[email-masked]         "Ignorance should be painful."

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc.help,comp.os.linux
From: [email-masked] (Savio Lam)
Subject: Re: WHAT HAVE I TO DO TO SET UP THE .PROFILE
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1993 03:01:19 GMT
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Bryan E. Glancey Jr ([email-masked]) wrote:
> Rachid BELMOUHOUB <[email-masked]> ([email-masked]) wrote:
> : Hi,
> :  I have succefully now installed the SLS 1.03 release, on my 486DX50 clone,
> :  I went through the Linux user's guide in search of informations about how to
> :  configur my system but haven't found lot of things about the file .profile
> :  I tryed to set the PATH environment variable to run X11, I did like in my
> :  .cshrc file on a sun at work but after sourcing the .profile, I have run
> :  printenv and none of the changes I've made was taken, I tryed unset PATH
> :  and I had an answer that the systen can't unset PATH. Is there any document
> :  that explains how to do this, or any one here that could help me.

> :  Thanx

> :  Rachid 
> :  

>       ME TO!! Also, any information anyone can give me on which are
> the auto running shell files (I am used to the .cshrc and .login) would
> be apreciated.

cshrc, .login are files read by csh, tcsh. .profile is read by bash
when it's started up as a login shell. SLS uses bash by default, so
profile should be used. See the man pages for the shells may help.

Regards,
Savio Lam.

--
###############################################################################
#                                 |        _                                  #
# ------------------------------- |      _| |_                                #
# Lam Lai Yin, Savio              |     |_   _|                               #
#                                 |       | |                                 #
# Internet: [email-masked]     |     /     \     Can't live with DOS?      #
# Department of Computer Science  |    |  DOS  |                              #
# Chinese University of Hong Kong |    |       |    Try Linux...              #
# ------------------------------- |    |       |                              #
#                                 |  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^                            #
###############################################################################

------------------------------

Subject: How can one switch between DOS and LINUX?
From: [email-masked]
Date: 2 Oct 93 03:35:34 -0600
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Dear everybody,
I would like to know how one can switch from DOS to LINUX at different time.
Like if I want to use DOS for one thing, later on I want to use Linux. Do I have to reboot the computer and insert the boot disk to do that? Please help me on that.

New to Linux,
Gabriel

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Rick D. Hochhalter)
Subject: Re: Oakdriver for X
Date: 1 Oct 93 10:06:52

Same with me.  I have an SVGA card that uses the OAK 077 SVGA chip and
I don't want to have to buy another video card just to be able to use
X on my system.

TIA.            Rick Hochhalter

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Maciej Otreba)
Subject: .xinitrc problem.
Date: 2 Oct 1993 07:48:59 -0500

Hi everybody,

 I have the following problem running XFree mono from SLS 1.03 at 386DX/40.
The server properly starts when my private .xinitrc is empty or doesn't
exists. If I want to run xterm or xclock from this file, X server shuts
down with error message : "client error: coudn't open display for .0". 
   Could anyone tell me what's going on? Any ideas?

Tnx,
Maciej

PS. Please, reply by email.
M.
-- 

                        ___________________________________________________
                       |                          /                        |
                       | Maciej Otreba           / E-MAIL:                 |
                       |------------------------/--------------------------|
                       | 87-116 Torun, POLAND  /  [email-masked]   |
                       | Dzialowskiego 4/4    /   [email-masked] |
                       | phone +48-56-485645 /    [email-masked]  |
                       |____________________/______________________________|

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Jim Matthews)
Subject: How set time zone?
Date: 2 Oct 1993 09:29:18 -0400

Well, I poked around in the FAQs and HOWTOs and didn't find anything, so...

How do I set the time zone in linux?  I'm in Maryland, so I need the date
displayed in EDT format.  Right now linux does an /etc/clock -s in my
rc.local, which sets the time to the local HHMMSS but with the GMT zone.
Then, when utilities convert that to EDT to calculate the actual local time,
they end up eight hours off!

Thanx!                                                  -Jim
-- 
 ____                           |
(   /      [email-masked]    |       University of Maryland
   /._ _         eng.umd.edu    |          Computer Science
\_/// X \         ni.umd.edu    |        Standard Disclaimers

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Johan Sultan)
Subject: Adeptec 1542 w. 2GB Micropolicer harddisk?
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1993 14:07:39 GMT

Hi!

Hi. A friend of mine has a PC with a Adaptec 1542 controllercard, and
he has a 2100 MB Micropolicer harddisk, and he is trying to install
one partition with Linux, and one with dos. Now, he has got it to
work if he disables support for drive larger than 1GB on the controll-
ercard, but if he does that he can only use half his harddisk.

So, if anyone knows if he is able to use ALL of his harddisk, please
let me know. 

       /[email-masked] (Johan Sultan)

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Gareth Bult)
Subject: >Re: Forward: QIC-80
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1993 14:59:52 GMT

With regards Mitsumi Drivers....
They've been around for ages... indeed they are standard in the pl13 kernel.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Gareth Bult)
Subject: Re: Dead DIP
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1993 15:06:36 GMT

On 28 Sep 1993 00:36:19 -0400;                                              
----Brett Michaels ([email-masked] ) said:                          
>I have been working with DIP and SLS 1.0.3.  I followed all of the latest  
>NET-2 instructions.                                                        
>When I use DIP I can not get it to talk to the modem.  I have a 14.4 modem 
>attached to /dev/cua1.                                                     
>I use:                                                                     
> dip -t                                                                    
> >port /dev/cua1                                                           
> >speed 9600                                                               
> >reset   (nothing happens to the modem)                                   
> >dial xxxxxxx (no string is sent)                                         
>                                                                           
>Then when I exit dip via a ^C, the modem line is frozen for use by other   
>comm. programs.  I have to reboot.  No processes seeem to be runningnas    
>shown by ps.                                                               
                                                                            
I had a similar problem at one point. Turns out 'dial' just would not work. 
I now put a;                                                                
send ATZ\r  before the reset command and;                                   
send <number>\r   instead of dial. This now works fine.

Gareth.                                                                     

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Gareth Bult)
Subject: Re: ps doesn't work
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1993 15:12:12 GMT

On 30 Sep 1993 12:57:46 GMT;                                                
----Studenten ([email-masked] ) said:                             
>    When I used ps it said, I need the directory /proc and                 
>    the line "/proc /proc proc defaults" in /etc/fstub (or something       
>    like that). After doing so and rebooting (after shutdown) everything   
>    was the same. I still get the above message.

When you build the kernel, there is an option for /proc support.
If you answer 'No', /proc support is not linked into the kernel.
This results in all applications (like your version of ps) failing to work.

Try rebuilding the kernel with /proc support or obtain the kmem version
of ps.

Gareth.

                                                                            

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Gareth Bult)
Subject: Re: A few problems with LINUX
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1993 15:16:43 GMT

With regards your disk...                                                   
Are you using Minix file system type? if so, this is limited to 64Mb.
(as far as I'm aware)                                                       
Try using the ext filesystem type;                                          
                                                                            
ie;                                                                         
                                                                            
mkefs -c /dev/hda0 `blocks /dev/hda0`                                       
;; the blocks command is fairly standard and returns the number of blocks   
;; on a device. (note the back quote)                                       
mount -text /dev/hda0 /<whatever>                                           
                                                                            
Gareth.                                                                     

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Brett Michaels)
Subject: telnet hangs...
Date: 2 Oct 1993 12:20:30 -0400

I am using SLIP with the pl12.  I can connect to my gateway and name 
server and the nameserver resolves hostnames correctly.

When I type telnet <remotehostname> it tells me I am connected but does 
not drop me to the login prompt.  No remote hosts can be accessed this 
way.  However I can telnet to myself.  The same goes for ftp.

rlogin hangs and does nothing.

Anyone know hwere I should look?

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Frederick J. Goodrum)
Subject: Yggdrasil cdrom problem booting
Date: 2 Oct 1993 16:53:16 GMT

I purchased Yggdrasil CDROM and am trying to install linux in the
cd_dependent mode (my hard drive is to small for the other versions)
I Cannot boot from the hard drive however as the kernel (sic?) cannot find
my CDROM.
  Booting from the floppy is ok. 
  According to the online doc I have to recompile linux setting the ISO-9660
flag. The is great if I can fit the sources on my pc. but according to the
doc that ain't gonna happen. This sounds like a chicken and egg problem.
  question: Is there a minimal group of source files I can copy to my hard
drive to perform the recompile?
    Should I request an updated CDROM (I thought the floppies and the CD
would be in sync)?
    Thanks in advance

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Matt Welsh)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.announce.help,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux,news.answers,comp.answers
Subject: Welcome to the comp.os.linux.* hierarchy!
Date: 2 Oct 1993 17:02:44 GMT

Archive-name: linux/announce/intro
Last-modified: 8 August 93

                 Welcome to the comp.os.linux.* hierarchy!

Background
=========================================================================
        This posting is an introduction to the comp.os.linux.* hierarchy 
        of USENET newsgroups. 

        Linux is a free implementation of UNIX for 80386/80486 machines 
        covered by the GNU GPL. Most of the development of the Linux 
        kernel has been done by Linus Torvalds, an internationally 
        reknowned UNIX wizard from Helsinki, Finland.

        For the past two years or so, the newsgroup comp.os.linux has 
        grown be one of the most popular groups on USENET. Late in 1992, 
        a CFV for splitting comp.os.linux was posted; the only group which 
        passed was comp.os.linux.announce, a moderated newsgroup for Linux 
        announcements and patches.

        Six months later, during the summer of 1993, another CFV for 
        splitting comp.os.linux was posted. The voting period for the 
        comp.os.linux reorganization results ended at 23:59:59 UTC on 
        4 August 1993 (4:59PM US Pacific Time, 7:59PM US Eastern Time.) 
        The results are as follows:

        comp.os.linux reorganization results - 1842 votes

         Yes   No  : 2/3? >100? : Pass? : Group
         ---- ---- : ---- ----- : ----- : -------------------------------
         1692  135 :  Yes   Yes :   Yes : comp.os.linux.admin
         1741   90 :  Yes   Yes :   Yes : comp.os.linux.development
         1647  177 :  Yes   Yes :   Yes : comp.os.linux.help
         1660  155 :  Yes   Yes :   Yes : comp.os.linux.misc

        Because of this split, the newsgroup comp.os.linux will be 
        deleted on 11 November 1993. The new newsgroups will be created 
        on 11 August 1993. This posting describes these newsgroups, 
        including comp.os.linux.announce, which will remain entact.

General Policy
=========================================================================
        The general policy for the Linux newsgroups is simple. Who sets
        the policy? We all do. All of us on USENET are interested in
        communicating openly about a number of topics. That's why we
        have USENET. If you want the Linux newsgroups to work for you,
        a few suggestions:

        * Read the Linux FAQ and follow the newsgroups for some time 
          before posting questions. This is very important. comp.os.linux 
          suffered from HUGE amounts of noise and traffic because much 
          of the growing readership never bothered to READ the newsgroup;
          they only posted questions.
          
          The same thing will happen with the new newsgroups unless you 
          read the FAQ (found on sunsite.unc.edu in the file 
          pub/Linux/docs/FAQ) and read the newsgroup for some time before 
          posting questions. Chances are, your question has already been
          recently answered, and a simple browsing of the newsgroup
          will answer it. We suggest using a threaded newsreader such as
          "trn" which will allow you to browse and mark articles by 
          subject, so you don't have to read each and every article in
          each newsgroup.

        * Crossposting between the Linux newsgroups is STRONGLY 
          discouraged. If you do crosspost questions between Linux 
          newsgroups, expect to be flamed to oblivion. The reason we
          have a newsgroup split is to categorize discussions into 
          separate newsgroups. Crossposting negates this effect. 
          If your posting cannot fit into ONE of the newsgroups
          c.o.l.admin, c.o.l.help, or c.o.l.development, then you 
          should post it to c.o.l.misc. 

          The one exception is for announcements. Occasionally, an
          important announcement (such as this one) will be crossposted
          between c.o.l.announce and one or more of the other c.o.l.*
          groups. These announcements must be approved by the .announce
          moderator; see below.

        * Reply to questions via e-mail if at all possible. While 
          discussion in the newsgroups is encouraged, if someone is
          asking a simple question to which the answer is well-known,
          there is no reason to post the reply. Don't assume that 
          the person posting the question actually reads the newsgroup
          or will even note your followup if they do. Reply via e-mail
          unless the reply is of general interest. 

        * Don't flame newbies. Over the course of the past few months,
          the Linux community has developed an oversensitive ego and
          a reputation for being unfriendly towards newcomers, mostly
          because of unwarranted flaming by a handful of righteous 
          individuals. If someone posts, saying, "Hi! I'm new to
          this group! What is Linux?" (which will inevitably happen
          as the new newsgroups are propagated), DO NOT FLAME THEM.
          When someone sees a new newsgroup pop up within "rn", they
          are justifiably curious about the new group and probably
          don't know that well over 80,000 people who know EVERYTHING
          about Linux read the group. Right? 

          Instead of being rude, you can send a polite note to the
          poster, saying, "Hello, Linux is a free implementation of
          UNIX for the 386 and 486. You can get the FAQ from 
          sunsite.unc.edu in /pub/Linux/docs. Let me know if I can
          be of help!". That's all. Not difficult, eh? You can even
          save your stock reply in a file and simply send form-letters
          to newbies if you wish. But there is very little point in
          flaming or ever being rude. It goes against everything that
          Linux can and should be. 

          Just remember that nobody knows everything---not even Linus---
          and that you were a newbie once, too. :)

comp.os.linux.announce
=========================================================================
        Comp.os.linux.announce is a moderated newsgroup for Linux 
        announcements and source patches. The purpose of this group was
        to get all of the ``important'' Linux information out of the
        regular newsgroup and into a place where all Linux users could see
        the important announcements without having to wade through a 
        jungle of other postings. So far, this group has been very 
        successful. 

        The moderators for this group are myself (Matt Welsh, 
        [email-masked]) and Lars Wirzenius ([email-masked]). 
        We will be sharing the moderator duty, and backing each other up 
        to make sure that postings to this group will be approved as soon 
        as possible after they're submitted.

        Submissions to this group should be mailed to the address:
                [email-masked]

        If you have any problems or questions about c.o.l.announce, please 
        send mail to the moderators at
                [email-masked]
        Or simply mail us directly. This is not a request address for 
        mailing list subscription; see below.

        A separate posting details the guidelines for submitting to this 
        group.  I plan to approve just about anything that's posted to this 
        group, except for questions or discussions about Linux. So, please, 
        post away.  :)

        There are also archives of comp.os.linux.announce available at a 
        number of Linux FTP sites: check 
                sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/docs/linux-announce.archive

        There is a mailing list mirror of the comp.os.linux.announce 
        newsgroup; to join, send mail to
                [email-masked]
        With the line
                X-Mn-Admin: join ANNOUNCE
        at the top of the body (not in the subject). Approved postings to 
        c.o.l.announce will automatically be mailed to this mailing list 
        channel.

comp.os.linux.admin     
=========================================================================
        This newsgroup was created simply to thwart the unique newsgroup
        acronym "c.o.l.a", previously used by c.o.l.announce. However,
        this newsgroup is also used for discussions and questions about
        running Linux systems, either in a single-user or multi-user
        environment.

        Clearly, there is no large distinction between c.o.l.admin and
        c.o.l.help. However, .admin should be mostly used for discussions
        about RUNNING Linux, not USING or PROGRAMMING it. Unfortunately,
        especially with Linux, the line between system administrator and
        system user is very fuzzy. In short, we anticipate c.o.l.admin
        to be mostly about questions with installing, setting up, and
        configuring Linux systems, as well as other discussions relating
        to system administration. 

comp.os.linux.development
=========================================================================
        c.o.l.development, or "c.o.l.d" for short, is a newsgroup for 
        questions and discussions about Linux kernel and systems-level 
        development. Please note that this is a newsgroup about 
        development OF Linux, not development FOR Linux. In other words, 
        c.o.l.d isn't for questions about programming or porting software 
        to Linux. Instead, this is a newsgroup for discussions about 
        developing the Linux kernel itself, including writing device 
        drivers, adding new features, and so on. In addition, discussions
        about development of shared libraries, and other essential 
        systems-level projects, are welcome here. 

        Hopefully, this newsgroup will embody some of the content and
        scope of the linux-activists mailing list channels such as GCC, 
        KERNEL, SCSI, and NET.

comp.os.linux.help
=========================================================================
        Comp.os.linux.help is perhaps the most general of Linux 
        newsgroups. It is for any general user, programming, or 
        setup questions and discussion about Linux. If your question
        is about Linux development, post to c.o.l.development. If
        it is about system administration, post to c.o.l.admin. 
        However, if your question is of a more general nature, such
        as "How do I set up Linux for use with an NE2000 card?",
        c.o.l.help is your place. 

        Remember that you should not crosspost between .help and
        other Linux newsgroups. This means that if you are asking for
        help in .development, that's fine, but .help is for those
        questions which don't fit into .admin and .development.

comp.os.linux.misc
=========================================================================
        This group is the canonical ``catch-all'' for discussions and 
        questions which don't fit into the other Linux newsgroups.
        While c.o.l.help is generally for questions, c.o.l.misc is for
        discussions of a general nature about Linux, such as setting up
        a file hierarchy standard, questions about Linus' personal life
        and virtual beer, and the inevitable flame war. Again, it should 
        be noted that crossposting between c.o.l.misc and other Linux 
        newsgroups is strongly discouraged. If your posting or question 
        does not fit into ONLY ONE of the other Linux newsgroups, post 
        it to .misc.

Comments
=========================================================================
        If you have questions or comments about this document, please
        direct them to [email-masked]. Flames to /dev/null; cheques
        and money orders to Linus Torvalds. Thanks.

-- 
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: [email-masked]

------------------------------

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

The service address, to which questions about the list itself and requests
to be added to or deleted from it should be directed, is:

    Internet: [email-masked]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux) via:

    Internet: [email-masked]

Linux may be obtained via one of these FTP sites:
    nic.funet.fi				pub/OS/Linux
    tsx-11.mit.edu				pub/linux
    tupac-amaru.informatik.rwth-aachen.de	pub/msdos/replace

The current version of Linux is 0.99pl9 released on April 23, 1993

End of Linux-Activists Digest
******************************