Subject: Linux-Development Digest #203
From: Digestifier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 94 22:13:14 EDT

Linux-Development Digest #203, Volume #2         Wed, 21 Sep 94 22:13:14 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Will 1.1.51 break FTAPE 1.13b (Thomas Roehl)
  Re: Porting applications to TERM (Richard L. Goerwitz)
  Compiling X-apps using xmkmf (Paul R. Lyons)
  Re: Shared Libs: working toward a permanent solution? (Rene COUGNENC)
  Re: Looking for a Fax daemon (Robert J. LeBlanc)
  Re: Extending the IP Protocol? (Rob Janssen)
  Re: SIGFPE with atof() (Rob Janssen)
  ext2fs (Christopher Geyer)
  Re: Linux on CD (Rob Janssen)
  Re: AX25 & KISS Amateur Radio Protocols in Linux? (Kelly L. Fulks)
  Re: SIGFPE with atof() (David Barr)
  Re: Linux on multiple processors? (Andi Kleen)
  Re: Pascal for Linux?? (Andi Kleen)
  Plug and Play (tm) for Linux? (root)
  exabyte 8505 (David Alan Ford)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
From: [email-masked] (Thomas Roehl)
Subject: Re: Will 1.1.51 break FTAPE 1.13b
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 1994 19:40:37 GMT

Carlos_Dominguez ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I finally have Ftape up and running, under rev 1.1.49.

: But I like to be up to date with my kernel if possible, but I don't
: want to shoot myself in the foot again if upgrading the kernel
: will break Ftape 1.13b.

: I've been looking for a changes50 and changes51 file to no avail.

: Can someone tell me what changes have been made from .49-.51?
: -- 
:   __  __   __ | .__.  __. ::::  Carlos Dominguez - Cyberdude & Gophermaster  
:  |    __| |   | |  | |__  ::::  [email-masked]  
:  |__ |__| |   | |__| .__| ::::  [email-masked]
:  ____________________________   I'm Looking for employment in the NYC area.
Hello,

no problem, I have ftape 13b running with kernel 1.1.51. It compiles
with the changes since 1.1.45 (dma..) without probs.

solong, Thomas

-- 
Thomas Roehl      * [email-masked]            * DATA / FAX :
Hamburg, Germany  * bbs: login "gast" no passwd       * +49 40 792 99 61
                  * nuucp: login "nuucp" pass "nuucp" * v32.bis  

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Richard L. Goerwitz)
Subject: Re: Porting applications to TERM
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 1994 18:44:42 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Robert Stockmann) writes:
>
>: Ideally, programs compiled in this way run with and without term
>: and/or TCP/IP, they always take what's available. 
>
>I think its amazing! does that mean that also smail/sendmail can be compiled
>with term within? how can you than receive email if your term pc is
>not registered with a valid hostname?

Not only unregistered, but also lacking a full networking installation -
will it work then?  Typically software I've tried to run can't determine
my hostname, and aborts, even though I have a rudimentary identification
for my system in /etc/HOSTNAME.

-- 

   -Richard L. Goerwitz              [email-masked]
   [email-masked]          rutgers!oddjob!ellis!goer

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Paul R. Lyons)
Subject: Compiling X-apps using xmkmf
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 21:00:28 GMT

I can't seem to use xmkmf because the file Imake.tmpl is not found in /usr/lib/X11/config. Does anyone know what Slackware Dist. disks this file can be found on, as I really don't want to have to reinstall X. I installed the X,Xdev, and X apps
disks way back in the spring. All works great under kernel 0.99.pl15. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paul R. Lyons                        InterNet:[email-masked]
Unix Support Specialist              
Aule-Tek Inc.                        UUCPNet:!uunet!crd.ge.com!lyonspr
General Electric                     BellNet: (518) 387-5560
Corportate Research & Development    GENet: 8*833-5560
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Rene COUGNENC)
Subject: Re: Shared Libs: working toward a permanent solution?
Date: 20 Sep 1994 20:20:35 GMT
Reply-To: [email-masked] (Rene COUGNENC)

Ce brave Albert D. Cahalan ecrit:

> Every bit counts.  3% here, 2% there, 7% somewhere else - it adds up.
> Actually, it multiplies up, which is worse.

And don't forget that there are many slow 386 boxes running Linux...

--
 linux linux linux linux -[ [email-masked] ]- linux linux linux 

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Robert J. LeBlanc)
Subject: Re: Looking for a Fax daemon
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 23:20:08 GMT

[email-masked] (Mike Dowling) writes:

>After reading this, I went off and got the flexfax package.  Unfortunately, I
>failed to compile the thing.  The first problem lay with port.h, which was
>automatically generated.  I know nothing of C++, and so could make nothing of
>the error messages.  It looked as though the compiler was moaning about a
>prototype, so I commented out two lines.  The package then almost compiled to
>completion, except that it failed to compile faxd (and failed to stop at the
>error, and went on to compile other things in parallel, thereby making it
>almost impossible to study the error messages.  ^S followed by a number of
>killalls  and ^Cs finally brought it to rest).

>For those who have succeeded, perhaps you can give those of us who don't know
>anything about C++ a tip?

FlexFAX doesn't compile "out of the box" on Linux systems due to a
little faulty assumption in the configure script that comes with the
package.  I've included a small patch at the end of this post which
should make things compile cleanly; after applying the patch, just run
"configure linux-gcc" and it should recreate port.h as it should be.
A couple of minor warnings are issued for casts in auth.c, but these
can be safely ignored.

For your reference, I use GCC 2.5.8 and libc-4.5.26; many people have
reported problems compiling FlexFAX under GCC 2.6.0, so I would advise
against it.

More importantly, getting FlexFAX to COMPILE isn't the whole story.
As someone else alluded to, getting this package to WORK seems to
involve having the "right" modem.  While FlexFAX supports a wide
variety of modems and has a lot of useful documentation to help you
get yours configured properly, some modems (notably USR Sportsters)
give it headaches.

As a side-note, you will also need to use a kernel version which has
working software flow control (XON/XOFF).  Versions 1.1.42 and later
are fixed, and I believe the 1.0.x kernels still work, but somewhere
in-between the handshaking was broken.  Bear this in mind no matter
which fax program you choose, since software flow control is
essential.

You may honestly find the efax-Qfax combination considerably easier to
install and use for most Class 1 or 2 fax-modems, but then I'm a
little biased :)

*** configure   Mon Sep 19 15:09:10 1994
--- configure   Mon Sep 19 15:18:52 1994
***************
*** 831,840 ****
      }
      CheckFuncDecl flock 'extern int flock(int, int);' sys/file.h
!     CheckForFuncDecl sigsetjmp setjmp.h || {
!       echo '#include <setjmp.h>'
!       AddDefine sigjmp_buf 'sigjmp_buf jmp_buf        /* hopefully compatible */'
!       AddFuncDecl sigsetjmp 'extern int sigsetjmp(sigjmp_buf, int);'
!       AddFuncDecl siglongjmp 'extern void siglongjmp(sigjmp_buf, int);'
!     }
      CheckTermioFuncDecls termios.h
      EmitCPlusPlusEpilogue
--- 831,842 ----
      }
      CheckFuncDecl flock 'extern int flock(int, int);' sys/file.h
!     if [ $TARGET != linux ]; then
!       CheckForFuncDecl sigsetjmp setjmp.h || {
!         echo '#include <setjmp.h>'
!         AddDefine sigjmp_buf 'sigjmp_buf jmp_buf /* hopefully compatible */'
!         AddFuncDecl sigsetjmp 'extern int sigsetjmp(sigjmp_buf, int);'
!         AddFuncDecl siglongjmp 'extern void siglongjmp(sigjmp_buf, int);'
!       }
!     fi
      CheckTermioFuncDecls termios.h
      EmitCPlusPlusEpilogue
-- 
======================================================================
Robert J. LeBlanc    |  [email-masked]   |  1925 Fell Avenue
Manager              |  tel: (604) 985-2013  |  North Vancouver, B.C.
Information Systems  |  fax: (604) 980-1077  |  V7P 3G6
Renaissoft           |    * PGP-capable *    |  Canada

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.tcp-ip
From: [email-masked] (Rob Janssen)
Subject: Re: Extending the IP Protocol?
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 19:19:34 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Sam Oscar Lantinga) writes:

>Rob Janssen ([email-masked]) wrote:
>: >    I would like to implement a new option in the IP protocol:

>: >IPOPT_RELAY

>: Please explain how this option is going to accomplish anything...

>       Sure.  A modified version of tcpdump snarfs packets 
>destined for the non-existent host.  It appends the destination
>address to the packet using the IPOPT_RELAY option, and rewrites
>the destination address as the SLIP-connected host.  The packet
>is then sent back out on the network with a new destination, leaving
>the source address unchanged (using raw sockets and a simple kernel
>hack)  When the packet is received by the destination host, the 
>IPOPT_RELAY option is detected, the destination address is re-written
>to be the original destination
>_and_sent_out_a_second_loopback_interface ifconfig'd to have the
>proper destination address to "exist" on the network at work.

>       Complex, I admit, but I'm not sure of any other way
>to acomplish having my machine on the SLIP connection also appearing
>on the network at work.

This is much too complex.  Proxy ARP will do what you want in a
much simpler and more efficient way.

>: IP-in-IP encapsulation is already being used to tunnel IP packets
>: between nonstandard networks over another network.  In fact, *two*
>: protocol numbers have already been allocated to this purpose, probably
>: by oversight...  (numbers 4 and 94)

>       Where can I find out more about this?

This kind of numbers are listed in the most current "Assigned numbers"
RFC, which also usually points to a reference.
There is also an RFC about encapsulation (RFC 1241)

>: Can't it be done by plainly adding some static routes on the routers?
>: Or by using proxy ARP?

>       How is this done?  I have tried adding host routes to the
>Linux machine at work (not a router), but I can't detect any packets
>getting to my machine on the SLIP connection (and yes, IP forwarding
>IS enabled).  The SLIP router will not (as far as I can tell) forward
>any packets to the SLIP connected host that are not destined for it.
>I have tried adding the "ghost" IP address to my system's arp cache
>using 'arp -s IP_address HW_address', but when an arp request goes
>out for the arped address, the Linux box does not reply.
>Is this proper proxy-arp method?  I've seen alot of discussion of
>what it does, but none on how to set it up. 

"Proxy ARP" means that a system which knows the route to a certain
destination (e.g. it has a SLIP link to it) replies to ARP requests
for that destination on another network.  It replies with its own
hardware address.

E.g.: one system is on an ethernet and has address 192.0.0.1
A second system is linked to it using SLIP and has address 192.0.0.2
Now, when some system on the ethernet asks for the hardware address of
192.0.0.2, the first system replies with its hardware address.  All
packets for 192.0.0.2 will then be sent to the hardware address of
system 192.0.0.1, and it will route them to the proper SLIP link without
further modifications.  So, there is no need to check every packet on
the ethernet, only the ARP requests (which are all received anyway).

I don't know if Linux supports this in some way.  If not, it can be
added.

Rob
-- 
=========================================================================
| Rob Janssen                | AMPRnet:   [email-masked]           |
| e-mail: [email-masked]     | AX.25 BBS: PE1CHL@PI8UTR.#UTR.NLD.EU     |
=========================================================================

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Rob Janssen)
Subject: Re: SIGFPE with atof()
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 21:35:43 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (David Barr) writes:

>I'm running Slackware 2.0, and i'm trying to compile a program
>called xweather.  (You can get the program from ftp.pop.psu.edu,
>files /pub/src/xweather.tar.Z and /pub/src/xweather.patch1)

>The code runs fine on a SPARC, under both 4.1.3 and under Solaris.
>Friends of mine have it working on other platforms as well.
>If I compile it under Linux (running either 1.0.9 or 1.1.51), I
>get a SIGFPE at an atof().  The string atof() is reading is a
>valid number.  I'm using gcc 2.5.8, on a 386 with a 387.

Do you include <stdlib.h> ?

This is required for Linux, but not on many other systems...

Rob
-- 
=========================================================================
| Rob Janssen                | AMPRnet:   [email-masked]           |
| e-mail: [email-masked]     | AX.25 BBS: PE1CHL@PI8UTR.#UTR.NLD.EU     |
=========================================================================

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Christopher Geyer)
Subject: ext2fs
Date: 21 Sep 1994 15:57:17 -0400

I have a hard drive that when I do e2fsck I get "Block 1229741547
for group 112 not in group"  e2fsck will not fix this problem.  Are
there any utilities that I can use to fix this problem?  Or am I
going to have to fix this manually and how would I go about fixing 
it manually? 

Christopher Geyer
[email-masked]

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Rob Janssen)
Subject: Re: Linux on CD
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 21:39:41 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:

>I was having a chat with someone over the net and we came to this..
>What if Linux came fully implemented (X & all the disk sets) on a CD and
>all you would have to do is boot off the CD rom and have the
>settings/option files (ie ~/.seyon inittab & the rc scrips) in your HD.

>I mean, this would save a lot of diskspace ;)

There are several CD-ROMs available that allow you to do this...

(well, not actually *booting* from CD-ROM, that was something that only
 lived in the 386BSD PR-guy's mind...  but having all the files on CD-ROM
 is a realistic possibility, with a small bootable partition on HD)

Rob
-- 
=========================================================================
| Rob Janssen                | AMPRnet:   [email-masked]           |
| e-mail: [email-masked]     | AX.25 BBS: PE1CHL@PI8UTR.#UTR.NLD.EU     |
=========================================================================

------------------------------

Subject: Re: AX25 & KISS Amateur Radio Protocols in Linux?
From: [email-masked] (Kelly L. Fulks)
Date: 19 Sep 94 10:17:36 -0600
Reply-To: [email-masked]

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Vassili Leonov) writes:
|> MacGyver ([email-masked]) wrote:
|> : I've been following this thread, and I'd like to know something...
|> : What *IS* Talk Radio or Amateur Radio used for?  Is it useful or just
|> : fanciful? Is Talk Radio and Amateur Radio the same thing?
|> Well - from the broad political prospective... In the modern world
|> there are certain entities that usurped certain human rights... On of
|> these rights is the right for free exchange of information. Much have
|> been done by Bill.G and likes.... Much by the .gov... Though there is
|> one thing that managed to stay relatively free - that is Amateur Radio.
|> There are certain portions of the spectrum where you can send and
|> receive information. Of course the abovementioned entities put a few
|> ridiculous limitaions on the HAM radio - the most important are:
|> - don't use it for exchange of information originating out of the 
|>   HAM domain
NO.  I can connect to any Internet site from amateur radio if I wish.
But I should only access data relating to amateur radio.  I should
not ftp to sunsite.unc.edu and get the latest version of DOOM, as it
is not related to amateur radio.  I can get Linux (it would take forever
at 1200 bps or even 9600bps though) as it does have AX.25 in the kernel
and can be used for amateur packet radio.  I can even gateway amateur
related news groups and mailing lists to packet, but then I (yes me) am
responsible for what each and every article contains.
|> - don't use any encripting
not for the purpose of hiding what you are saying.  LZW is used for
compression as are others.  But they are not used to hide content.
|> - you have your freedom of speech significanly limited - or you lose licence.
Not necessarily a bad thing.  My two year old loves to listen to HF chatter
as well as VHF/UHF repeater chatter.  It is cleaner entertainment for him
than TV (in most cases).  And maybe someday he will get his license and
who knows he might be the person that makes some really great contribution
to radio or computers (he loves those too).
|> To get the license though is not that a big deal, esp. in the US.
|> Then, there is one limitation, that is positive - don't use it for
|> selling communication services. So - it's free. Well - that's about the
|> only another free thing in the World after GNU... :-) 
Well you do actually have to buy or build radios and accessories.  I have
several thousand dollars in radio and computer gear so I have a hard
time conviencing my XYL (wife for non-hams) that either is free.
|> Why this might be interested to the readers of the Linux group - well
|> mostly because the free and open spirit of the HAM radio matches very
|> well with the spirit of the Linux. Lot's of space for hacking in both.
Yes and that is why I love both.
|> Wouldn't it be great to have Usenet being carried by the free backbones
|> of the HAM radio? Unfortunately, censorship required by the HAM radio rules
|> does not go well with the open nature of Usenet. There are x-rated
|> newsgroups for example, just nasty users elsewhere... But every true
|> hacker might find a lot of use in the HAM radio though I believe....
|> Vassili.

-- 
Kelly L. Fulks                    Reply to: @hap.arnold.af.mil:[email-masked] 
Scientific Programmer/Analyst             : [email-masked]
OAO Corporation                           : [email-masked]
Arnold Air Force Base, TN 37389           : [email-masked]

Amateur Radio: KC4RDJ@AB4ZB.#MIDTN.TN.USA.NA   
             : kc4rdj.ampr.org. [44.34.0.9]

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (David Barr)
Subject: Re: SIGFPE with atof()
Date: 19 Sep 1994 20:08:05 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>, Rob Janssen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Do you include <stdlib.h> ?

Yep.

--Dave

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Andi Kleen)
Subject: Re: Linux on multiple processors?
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 1994 23:17:05 GMT

michael alan dorman ([email-masked]) wrote:

: I know that MP (and specifically SMP) is sort of "trendy" these days
: (vis. NT and OS/2 SMP), but the particular application for which I am
: considering using Linux as a platform (dialin Internet host, web server,
: fairly high volume) seems to me to be one for which SMP might give
: good results--or at least make it easier to stave off the purchase of
: a second machine.

: So is this being considered, or at least batted around as a possibility?

: Or has it already been hashed out and discarded?  I refuse to think that
: it hasn't occured to anyone but me.

The HURD (the GNU OS) will (or is planing to) support multiprocessing
(through the Mach-kernel)       

-Andi

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Andi Kleen)
Subject: Re: Pascal for Linux??
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 1994 23:23:41 GMT

williams ([email-masked]) wrote:
:    I was wondering if anyone knows of a Pascal compiler that is available
: for Linux.. Please give me a pointer. Thanks!
:               --Zach

There's P2C, a Pascal->C converter and GNU Pascal (still alpha).

-Andi

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (root)
Subject: Plug and Play (tm) for Linux?
Date: 22 Sep 1994 01:55:58 GMT
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Is anyone currently developing extensions to make Linux a
Plug and Play (tm) compliant operating system? I may be interested in
working on such a project.

Jered
(Please reply to [email-masked])

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (David Alan Ford)
Subject: exabyte 8505
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 1994 02:43:13 GMT

Does linux support Exabyte 8505 tape drives, if not, is anybody working 
drivers for the 8505. Also, is there a Fortran compiler for linux yet or F2C 
available.

          David A. Ford
         [email-masked]

------------------------------

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

The service address, to which questions about the list itself and requests
to be added to or deleted from it should be directed, is:

    Internet: [email-masked]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.development) via:

    Internet: [email-masked]

Linux may be obtained via one of these FTP sites:
    nic.funet.fi				pub/OS/Linux
    tsx-11.mit.edu				pub/linux
    sunsite.unc.edu				pub/Linux

End of Linux-Development Digest
******************************