Subject: Linux-Development Digest #280
From: Digestifier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 94 15:13:07 EDT

Linux-Development Digest #280, Volume #2          Sat, 8 Oct 94 15:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  /etc/passwd and /etc/group standards (Gareth McAleese)
  Re: A badly missed feature in gcc (Steven M. Doyle)
  High color (64K) video driver available? (Ching-Tai Chiu)
  Re: ext2fs vs. Berkeley FFS (Donald Becker)
  Re: Orchid Soundwave32 (Paul Gyugyi)
  Re: A badly missed feature in gcc (Rob Janssen)
  Re: Orchid Soundwave32 (Mihail S. Iotov)
  Re: Single host firewalling (Brandon S. Allbery)
  Diamond Viper (Matthew Glenn Foster)
  Re: New Motif lib's for use with XFree 3.1 ? (Adam J. Richter)
  XFree86-3.1 Mach32 server with 512K memory (Matt Domsch)
  Re: Linux Mud (Jeff Kesselman)
  Re: PROBLEM: Adaptec 1542 with SMC-Ultra (Vassili Leonov)
  Re: Could TCP/IP be implemented over SCSI? (Drew Eckhardt)
  Re: What GUI to write for? (Paul Shirley)
  Re: Beautifying Linux/Xfree (Tom Wilson)
  ISDN and Linux (Sam Oscar Lantinga)
  Re: [fdformat] kernel 1.1.52 (Neal Becker)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Gareth McAleese)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: /etc/passwd and /etc/group standards
Date: 8 Oct 1994 14:36:51 GMT
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Hi,

I have been looking around the FTP sites for information about any standards
for daemon accounts in /etc/passwd such as bin,sync,news,news,... and also for
naming of groups such as wheel,root,adm,sys,system,...

Has there been anything discussed with this.  I am quite an experienced linux
hacker and I am for installing linux from peices rather than from a 
distribution such as slackware, actually I have installed the basic slackware
set to get me a bootable machine and from here I have started to hack at 
things as we speak X11R6 is recompiling on it.

Any pointers or suggestions welcome, what entries do commercial versions have
like SunOS, Solaris, SCO,..., I have access to some other Unix systems.

Thanks in advance

Gareth

--
Gareth McAleese                                                         
Research Student                     Phone:  +44 (0)265 44141 ext 4702
University of Ulster at Coleraine      Fax:  +44 (0)265 40916
Faculty of Informatics               Email:  [email-masked]
Cromore Road, Coleraine            
N. Ireland  BT52 1SA                 http://www.infc.ulst.ac.uk/~gareth/

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Steven M. Doyle)
Subject: Re: A badly missed feature in gcc
Date: 7 Oct 1994 15:12:34 -0700

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Thomas Koenig) writes:

>David Taylor ([email-masked]) wrote in comp.os.linux.development,
>       article <[email-masked]>:
>>I wish gcc for Linux could handle // comments.
>I don't ;-)
>This would break perfectly correct C code, like
>    a = b//* Comment here */ c

IMHO, that 3would be poor style at best... :)  I also miss the // comments and would
like to see them included in future versions of gcc.  They make -- amongt other things --
removing lines for debugging purposes a lot easier.

-- 
| Steven Doyle, AKA World Creator   | #include <std_disclaimer>              |
| Sysop, NETDimension (818)592-6279 | For information on Artificial Worlds   |
| [email-masked]               | send email to [email-masked] for  |
| [email-masked]        | an information package.                |

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Ching-Tai Chiu)
Subject: High color (64K) video driver available?
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 1994 05:03:58 GMT

Are there any high color or true color video drivers available ?
Or under development? If yes, how can I obtain them?

Please reply by email, thanks.

Ching-Tai Chiu

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Donald Becker)
Subject: Re: ext2fs vs. Berkeley FFS
Date: 7 Oct 1994 19:06:25 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>,
Mike Haertel <[email-masked]> wrote:
>The Linux community may sneer at synchronous inode updates, but under
>BSD ffs I have never lost a file, which is more than I can say for
>ext2fs, which has cost me a whole partition at least once, simply
>due to its overoptimistic buffering.

Are you certain you didn't have a hardware problem with the disk?
While I can't say for certain that I've never lost a file, the ext2 has had
an amazingly good record on my machine.

For seven months I ran ext2 on my home machine.  "No big deal" I can hear
you say, "I've run machines for months without losing a file as well."
While developing the ethercard drivers -- that's the kind of use where the
machine crashes a lot, and it usually crashes at a really bad time (like in
the middle of a file transfer).  "Urrrmmm" you say "I'm slightly impressed,
but 'fsck' should fix that baby right up".  Ahhh, but the point is I didn't
run 'fsck' on that disk for the whole seven months!  (It slowed the reboot
too much.)  Now that the 'clean' bit is implemented I do now run 'fsck' on
every reboot, although I rarely crash my machine any more.

In contrast I had to install SunOS on a new Sparc.  Recent Suns come with a
FFS already on the disk, with a setup program that tries to load the whole
OS from a CD-ROM or the network.  Well, someone had turned on the Sun,
probably to make certain that it wasn't broken during shipping, and then
switched it off.  That was enough to completely destroy the filesystem with
the fancy setup program, forcing me to do horrible low-level things that
were only described in the not-yet-readable CD-ROM AnswerBook.

-- 
Donald Becker                                     [email-masked]
USRA-CESDIS, Center of Excellence in Space Data and Information Sciences.
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882         http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/people/becker/whoiam.html

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Paul Gyugyi)
Subject: Re: Orchid Soundwave32
Date: 07 Oct 1994 22:56:03 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Christian Linhart) writes:

   Has anyone succeeded in getting an Orchid Soundwave32 run under
   Linux ? I tried to but failed.

I sort of have it running.
BTW, Analog Devices sells a development kit for programming the SW32
to do dsp processing (~$500).  You could use the card to, for example,
do robotic-type control, using the card's shared memory to send
commands from a linux process to the control program running
on the sw32.  Personnally, I'd love to set it up as a ray-trace
accelerator, but have my doubts about it being suitable for
anything but trivial matrix multiplications.  Note that the 
development toolkit runs under DOS, and you'd have to either write
your own DSP code loader under linux or do the DOS-boot-shuffle as
described below above to initialize your custom code.

   The docs claim the card to be compatible with, among others, 
   Soundblaster but they say that the compatibility is invoked by the 
   dos or windoze driver loading some code to the DSP of the soundcard
   which means bad luck for Linux I think :-(.

The trick is to first boot DOS, run SW32.EXE to load the dsp code into
the card's shared ram; Optionally run windows to run the mixer
program to adjust volume levels, exit windows; then do a WARM
(Ctrl-Alt-Del) reboot of the system and boot linux.  The card should
now be recognized and work like a Sound Blaster (not SB16).

Doing a cold reboot or power cycle will clear the sw32 dsp chip's
ram, preventing it from emulating a sound blaster.

Others on the net have reported using LOADLIN to make the DOS->Linux
transition.  I, for reasons too stupid to explain, have to do a floppy
shuffle from my dos boot disk to my Linux boot disk.  But I rarely
reboot, so can't complain too much.

I tried to get the SW32 recognized as a 16 bit MS Sound System compatible
card by the new voxware drivers (to play doom).  No luck. I can cat
to /dev/audio, but doom's sndserver says I don't have the voxware
drivers installed.

--
=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=
| Paul Gyugyi                      scrabble...click...snap...  |
| [email-masked]     [email-masked]    |
=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Rob Janssen)
Subject: Re: A badly missed feature in gcc
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 1994 09:05:26 GMT

In <wcreator.781567812@kaiwan009> [email-masked] (Steven M. Doyle) writes:

>In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Thomas Koenig) writes:

>>David Taylor ([email-masked]) wrote in comp.os.linux.development,
>>      article <[email-masked]>:
>>>I wish gcc for Linux could handle // comments.
>>I don't ;-)
>>This would break perfectly correct C code, like
>>    a = b//* Comment here */ c

>IMHO, that 3would be poor style at best... :)  I also miss the // comments and would
>like to see them included in future versions of gcc.  They make -- amongt other things --
>removing lines for debugging purposes a lot easier.

It has always amazed me how many people try to remove pieces of coding for
debugging purposes using "comment" constructs...
This may be required in other languages, but is not in C.  C compilers
traditionally have had the luxury of the pre-processor, so you can just
use:

#if 0
#endif

or:

#ifdef DEBUG
#endif

to exclude lines and blocks of code.  These nest well, and can even be made
easily controllable from the compile command line and/or from makefiles,
includefiles etc.

Just don't use comments for a purpose they weren't intended for.

Rob
-- 
=========================================================================
| Rob Janssen                | AMPRnet:   [email-masked]           |
| e-mail: [email-masked]     | AX.25 BBS: PE1CHL@PI8UTR.#UTR.NLD.EU     |
=========================================================================

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Mihail S. Iotov)
Subject: Re: Orchid Soundwave32
Date: 7 Oct 1994 23:34:40 GMT

[email-masked] (Christian Linhart) writes:

>Has anyone succeeded in getting an Orchid Soundwave32 run under
>Linux ? I tried to but failed.
>The docs claim the card to be compatible with, among others, 
>Soundblaster but they say that the compatibility is invoked by the 
>dos or windoze driver loading some code to the DSP of the soundcard
>which means bad luck for Linux I think :-(.

Yes, that is the answer. Yet some people have gotten it to work, buy first
running DOS, loading the driver and then warm booting linux. Still in their
words the sound quality had been nothing to write home about.

>I configured and compiled the kernel with Soundblaster support and
>the same DMA/IRQ-Settings as used under DOS/Windoze but it doesn't
>work :-(. cat /dev/sndstat showes a Soundblaster driver to be installed
>but cat anything >/dev/audio just shows "no such device or address".

>Oh, and the kernel I used is version 1.0.9.

>Thanks in advance for any input on this subject,

>Chris

>--
>Christian Linhart ([email-masked]), 
>Student of Computer Science & Math at Salzburg University (Austria, Europe)
>"Linux is a movement, a philosophy, where programmers and technical people
>take control of their own destiny." Tim Bass in comp.os.linux.misc

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Brandon S. Allbery)
Subject: Re: Single host firewalling
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 1994 01:54:08 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, Bill Wohler <[email-masked]> says:
+---------------
|   [This note sent to [email-masked] and cc'd to
|   comp.os.linux.development]
| 
|   possible to firewall my (Linux) host at home which is directly
|   connected to the Internet via SLIP (or PPP).
|   While all the discussion here has been about expensive chokes,
|   filters and bastion hosts, what work, if any, has been done to
|   address the single host, no network, connection?
+------------->8

One could filter SLIP or PPP links by attaching them via JNOS or WAMPES and
using IP ACCESS/TCP ACCESS.  A SLIP link between the kernel and *NOS would
then attach the "firewall-box" (akin to a DOS-box) to the native networking.

At least some of the commercial routers that have firewall capability are
basically dedicated KA9Q boxes, so the only difference would be that the
"router firewall" would not require separate hardware.

This is, of course, only one potential solution.

++Brandon
-- 
Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH         [44.70.4.88]           [email-masked]
Linux development:  iBCS2, JNOS, MH                                      ~\U
Daily dreading Nehemiah Scudder^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HRush Limbaugh

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Matthew Glenn Foster)
Subject: Diamond Viper
Date: 8 Oct 1994 14:18:27 GMT

 I could use some help getting Xfree and Diamond Viper working in harmony.
 If anyone can help out there PLEASE LEAVE ME SOME MAIL AT :  
 [email-masked]

 Thank you.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Adam J. Richter)
Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x.i386unix
Subject: Re: New Motif lib's for use with XFree 3.1 ?
Date: 8 Oct 1994 00:08:57 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Frank Hofmann <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I knowe you'r not the correct one (are you ?), but my mailer tells me
>'metrolink.com: Host unknown', so I think you might tell me (or forward
>this to someone who can).
>I've got Metrolink Motif 1.2.3 for Linux. It relies on the old shared libs,
>so I cannot use X11R6 features in my Motif programs. I have to link them
>with the old ones. So do you know if Metrolink is planning an upgrade ?
>
>thanks, and best regards.
>
>Frank

        I'm kind of curious why XFree86 decided to use an incompatible
major version number for shared libraries under Linux, requiring all
programs that were linked against X11R5 to be rebuilt.  We had an X11R6
beta release that used a downward compatible version version number for
its shared libraries and seemed to work fine with the R5 binaries that
we tried.  That release, including the jump files, was FTPable from
ftp.yggdrasil.com:pub/software_dist/X11R6-pl3.beta1/, and I know
that XFree86 was aware of the release.  Nevertheless, I'm glad
that XFree86 finally released 3.1.

-- 
Adam J. Richter                           Yggdrasil Computing, Incorporated
(408) 261-6630                            "Free Software For The Rest of Us."

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Matt Domsch)
Subject: XFree86-3.1 Mach32 server with 512K memory
Date: 8 Oct 94 00:27:01 GMT

Does anyone know why the Mach32 X server will not run with a virtual
resolution less than 1024?  As I only have 512K video memory I would
like to use a 640x480x8 video mode.  Examining the Mach32 X server
source code file mach32.c, I found:

if ((mach32VirtX) < 1024) {
    ErrorF("mach32 X server requires virtual screen width >= 1024\n");
    xf86DisableIOPorts(mach32InfoRec.scrnIndex);
    return(FALSE);
}

This explains why the X server exits with an error, but doesn't
explain WHY this 1024 limit is imposed.  Any ideas?

Immediately following this routine is the code to set the MEM_SIZE
value, and that code allows for a MEM_SIZE_512K value, so it should be
legal, right??

For further information, I've got ATI68800AX video on the motherboard.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

-- 
=============================================================================
Matt Domsch                                     Dell Computer Corporation
Associate Software Engineer                     Dell Product Group
Subsystems Engineering                          Advanced Systems
                                                2214 W. Braker Lane
[email-masked]                                   Austin, TX  78758
[email-masked]                    (512) 728-0305 work
[email-masked]                  (512) 728-8349 FAX
http://www.mit.edu:8001/people/luigi/home.html
=============================================================================

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Jeff Kesselman)
Subject: Re: Linux Mud
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 1994 05:47:01 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Stormy Henderson <[email-masked]> wrote:
>[email-masked] (Scott Francis) writes:
>
>   Is there a mud developed for Linux and if so is it possible for me to get
>   the source or compiler version of it?
>
>I've compiled and run Merc 2.2 and ROM 2.3 with very little porting.  Both
>version required only commenting out a few lines of code that Linux doesn't
>support, and ran beautifully.
>
>Be happy...
>
>
>- Stormy the happinator     "The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ
>                             Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
>  Reply to:                  Shall lure it back to cancel half a line, 
>  [email-masked]    Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it."
>

And both LambdaMOO and ColdMUD compile straight as destributed.
(I'm workign on Coldmud extensions right now on my Linux box.)

Jeff kesselman

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Vassili Leonov)
Subject: Re: PROBLEM: Adaptec 1542 with SMC-Ultra
Date: 7 Oct 1994 23:32:28 GMT

Michael Krause ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Vassili Leonov ([email-masked]) wrote:
: : real true Western Digital 8013 these days. If you have a choice don't
: : use SMC-Ultra... - use Elite16 from the same company.
: : Vassili.

: I used to have a SMC Elite 16 before I switched to the SMC Elite Ultra 16.
: Both are running with no problems at all with my AHA-1542 C.
This is true for Linux - though I had problems at 0.99 - where as 
for more sensitive commercial stuff like Interactive Unix Ultra16 
is not good... Thus - since there is no proven bnefits of uning Ultra... 
don't use it...
Vassili.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Drew Eckhardt)
Subject: Re: Could TCP/IP be implemented over SCSI?
Date: 7 Oct 1994 01:30:48 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
ted roberts <[email-masked]> wrote:
>In article <[email-masked]>,
>Alan Cox <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (myers_lincoln) writes:
>>>     I am asking because I would like to know how viable it would be to add
>
>First let me state that I am NOT an expert on SCSI.  That been said, I 
>was talking to a guy the other day that was telling me about something 
>called Near Perfect something-or-other.  It's a termination technique of 
>some kind that would replace resistors.  

Forced perfect.  Basically, you run a voltage regulator on each end of 
every signal line.

>With this he indicated that he 
>had hooked up SCSI chains with seven devices 60-70 feet long.  Needless 
>to say, this could cast a new light on this discussion.  Does anyone know 
about this stuff, and if so, is this accurate?  

The distance is a crap-shoot if it's single ended, but differential is 
spec'd to that distance.

>Is there a way to route packets via two controllers in one machine?  

I don't see why not.

SCSI routers... sounds 
>weird.  What kind of bandwidth are we talking here?

10M/sec.  Of course, with 100baseT a reality, I'm not sure how useful
it would be.
-- 
Since our leaders won't respect The Constitution, the highest law of our 
country, you can't expect them to obey lesser laws of any country. 
Boycott the United States until this changes.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x.intrinsics,gnu.misc.discuss
From: [email-masked] (Paul Shirley)
Subject: Re: What GUI to write for?
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 1994 01:11:33 +0000

"Mario Klebsch DG1AM" writes:

>One main point agains Motif in my opinion is that I want a GUI
>(Grafical User Interface). The Motif specification is full of Keyboard
>User Interface (I do not think of shortcuts). Every Motif program has
>to be usable without a mouse. This leads to jumping default buttons
>and lots of other strange things. Why are there functions like move
>and resize in the menu in the upper left corner? To be used with
>keyboard UI? Or, because the graphical resize UI is to hard to use?
>The corners are to small to hit on first try?
>
>Does this still sound like a good GUI?
>

PLEASE don't abandon keyboard support in GUIs. Without it I would now be
suffering severe RSI from using a mouse all day

Pointing devices are essential for some things and great for getting
started on a new GUI. After that give me keyboard commands.

The important thing is to make them consistent and optional. Equally the
pointing interface should be consistent and optional.
We ought to be looking for the best of both world *not* trying to ignore
one interface in favour of another.

-- 
Paul Shirley: Defender of the Sacred Beans

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Tom Wilson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Beautifying Linux/Xfree
Date: 7 Oct 1994 21:54:34 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>,
Alexandra Griffin <[email-masked]> wrote:
:In article <1994Oct5.141142.773@muvms6>,
:Andy Bailey <[email-masked]> wrote [in c.o.l.misc]:
:>[...]
:>  
[...CHOMP...]
:
:1) A mouse-driven tool for setting common X resource preferences would
:be *very* helpful, even for experienced users (kind of a big project,
:I know).  Hewlett-Packard workstations include this as part of the
:HP-VUE desktop-- you can adjust window colors, background pixmaps,
:speaker pitch & volume, screensaver status, etc. from a "control
:panel"-like utility.  There are too many things under X that can be
:configured only from the command line, which is not good (ideally both
:a good GUI and command-line way of setting each option should exist).

Perhaps, but HP-VUE is Motif-based, and, just in case you haven't noticed,
*it's a resource hog*.  You're probably running with at least 32 megs
of memory on a nice PA-Risc workstation, which is quite a bit more 
powerful than an Intel box.  I'm not saying your ideas are bad, but I
couldn't *stand* using VUE 3.0 with less than 32 megs...I had to for
a while with 24 megs, and it simply *sucked*.  (twm & tvtwm were starting
to look awfully attractive ;-)

:       An extension of this idea might involve using GetWidetTree
:calls to a selected application to find out what resources can be set
:(like editres does), filtering out those that are obviously used only
:internally, and providing some kind of nice front-end for altering
:these (and saving them to .Xdefaults, which would be automatically
:"xrdb -load'ed" on exiting the preferences tool).  HP-VUE even allows
:some things to be changed on the fly in already-running clients, but I
:think support for this has to be specially compiled into each client.
:Maybe a drop-in replacement for some of the X shared libraries could
:allow existing binaries to support this, though?
:
:2) A better X file manager than what's currently out there (xfm &
:xfilemanager are nice but not as easy to configure, easy to use, or
:generally polished as one might like).  Maybe something that provided

more and more resources....

:essentially the same functionality as Mouseless Commander (the
:text-based Norton Commander clone), but with a mouse-driven GUI? (&
:provisions for icons if desired, scrollbars on the dual file selection
:lists, real pulldown menus-- leave in the command line at the bottom,
:though!).
:
[CHOMP]
:
:3) Another idea from HP-VUE... this environment features a "console
:bar" area at the bottom of the screen, containing buttons to switch
:virtual desktops, invocation icons for commonly-used apps, small icons

I've been toying with somthing quite similar using fvwm and xfm...the
functionality is quite similar if you don't mind using fvwm's virtual
desktops.

:for system functions (logging out...), and space for a clock,
:calendar, Xload bargraph, & other stuff.  The appearance of the bar is
:very professional, with little beveled insets for each item.  I'm

more and more resources....

[CHOMP]
-- 
/-----------------------------------------------------------------------\
|  Tom Wilson                      |  "I can't complain, but sometimes  |
|  [email-masked]       |   I still do."                     |
|                                  |                -Joe Walsh          |

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Sam Oscar Lantinga)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.dcom.isdn
Subject: ISDN and Linux
Date: 7 Oct 1994 21:24:50 GMT
Reply-To: [email-masked]

My company is probably going to pay for a residential ISDN
installation at home, and I would be a fool to not look into this.  I
have a PC at home, running the usual DOS/Windows crap, and also
running Linux (yay!).  DigiBoard has announced a product called
DataFire (maybe DigiFire, I always get confoozed here) which runs
2B+D, has an ODI interface, PPP support.  Their slick says they
support Windows for Workgroups 3.1.1, but makes no mention of Windows
3.1.

I have also found that psi.com has an ISDN dialup Internet service,
running both with their software under Windows (great for the kids)
and under PPP (but not "certified" to work with Linux, only SUN,
HP-UX, a couple like that).  This service costs $29 a month for 29
hours connect time.  Hey! this caught my attention.

On a side note, as much as I personally hate Windows, it is a lot
easier for the kids, and I don't object at all to having a Windows
Internet interface for them.  Especially since there are many Windows
programs they use for school essays and such, I don't see any need to
force them to use Linux.  But I personally want Linux, if for no other
reason thn that I can work at home once in a while.

So here are my questions:

1.  What can people tell me in general about home ISDN, that I
probably haven't already found out from PacBell?

2.  WHat does this ODI interface mean to me and Linux?  Is this a
standard hardware interface, for which Linux drivers already exist?
Or are there easily modifiable drivers?

3.  What the heck is WIndows for Workgroups 3.1.1, and would those
drivers probably work with Windows 3.1?

4.  What the heck, let me ask again for any general information.  You
probably can not send me too much basic information; I can always toss
it.

My friend is psoting this for me; I haven't got news access, so please
REPLY rather than FOLLOWUP.  I will of course accumulate replies and
send him a summary to post.

===================

     ... _._. ._ ._. . _._. ._. ___ .__ ._. . .__. ._ .. ._.
        Felix Finch, scarecrow repairer / [email-masked]
     PGP = 23 2E BD 2D 7C 3B D9 1E   9C 51 23 C1 57 04 2E C3

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Neal Becker)
Subject: Re: [fdformat] kernel 1.1.52
Date: 08 Oct 1994 01:22:38 GMT

You're right!  I got IOCTRL error with fdformat also.

------------------------------

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

The service address, to which questions about the list itself and requests
to be added to or deleted from it should be directed, is:

    Internet: [email-masked]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.development) via:

    Internet: [email-masked]

Linux may be obtained via one of these FTP sites:
    nic.funet.fi				pub/OS/Linux
    tsx-11.mit.edu				pub/linux
    sunsite.unc.edu				pub/Linux

End of Linux-Development Digest
******************************