Subject: Linux-Development Digest #307
From: Digestifier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 94 13:13:15 EDT

Linux-Development Digest #307, Volume #2         Fri, 14 Oct 94 13:13:15 EDT

Contents:
  Re: ext2fs vs. Berkeley FFS ("Theodore Ts'o")
  Re: Shared Libs: working toward a permanent solution? ("Theodore Ts'o")
  accept() not functioning 100%? (Robert Simons)
  Re: Improving SLIP latency under Linux (Frank Lofaro)
  Re: Status of Linux and Distributions security (Bernd Eckenfels)
  [Q] touch-thru-glass keypad driver suggestions (Joe Desbonnet)
  Re: Suggestion: comp.os.linux.channelecho.* (Matthias Urlichs)
  A/D-board with Linux-driver?? (Sebastian Egner)
  Re: libg++-2.6: builtinbuf undefined (David Fox)
  Re: Shared Libs: working toward a permanent solution? (Bryan Ford)
  Re: A badly missed feature in gcc (Dan Pop)
  Re: Status of Mac Linux & PPC Linux? (Thomas G. McWilliams)
  ypbind didn't work (Ari Widodo)
  1.1.52 Kernel Panics (Christopher Wiles)
  .52 & .52 Hangs in heavy FTP'ing.. (Thomas Lundquist)
  Re: LINUX Logical volumes (Werner Almesberger)
  Re: 3c505 driver ? (John Huang)
  Term blocks modem, switching to VT and back restores? (Rafal Kustra)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: "Theodore Ts'o" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: ext2fs vs. Berkeley FFS
Date: 14 Oct 1994 09:17:48 -0400
Reply-To: [email-masked]

   From: [email-masked] (Mike Haertel)
   Date: 03 Oct 1994 20:46:49 GMT

   I'd rather have garbage in a file than have a file whose blocks
   are also in the free list and will soon be allocated to another
   file as well.  Of course, fsck is supposed to fix these situations.
   But if you're using a filesystem wherein the actual disk updates
   are trailing way behind file system activity, and are not constrained
   to be written in the order they were made, then a crash at a disk-intensive
   time could leave fsck extremely confused.

   This is why BSD ffs does its updates in what somebody called the "wrong"
   order, but which strikes me as exactly the _right_ order.

ext2 doesn't use a free list, but rather uses a bitmap of used/free
blocks.  Making sure this bitmap is correct is perhaps the easiest job
e2fsck has to do.  That's *not* what's going to get it confused.

The one place where a lagged write of the meta data might get the e2fsck
confused is if indirect block of a deleted file gets overwritten by
something else, probably another data block, before the inode table gets
flushed to disk.  In this case, e2fsck *will* notice the inconsistency;
however, it will probably call for human intervention in order to fix
the problem.  

Of course, I've tried to make e2fsck such that the human intervention is
as painless as possible.  For example, e2fsck can automatically take
care of cloning cross-linked files so that each file has its own copy of
blocks claimed by two different inodes.  Of course, at least one of
those files will have garbaged blocks (consisting of data from the other
file) after this operation, but at least the filesystem is stable.  The
human being simply has to examine both of the files and see which one
should be discarded.

In any case, it's a good idea to optimize for the common case, not the
exception case.  Thus, I believe ext2fs made a pretty good tradeoff.
Not doing syncronous meta-data writes gives the ext2fs a blinding speed
advantage over the FFS.  From my experience with both FFS and ext2fs,
ext2fs is just as reliable --- if not more --- than FFS in surviving
unclean shutdowns.

                                                - Ted

------------------------------

From: "Theodore Ts'o" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Shared Libs: working toward a permanent solution?
Date: 14 Oct 1994 09:22:09 -0400
Reply-To: [email-masked]

The real problem with this sort of solution is that you have to educate
GCC about segment registers, and you have to include the segment number
into a pointer.  Otherwise, how is GCC supposed to know whether a
pointer was pointing at memory from the library's data segment, or at
memory passed in from the caller?  

I've discussed this problem with GCC hackers who were also Multics
weanies, and this is a very difficult problem.  If it could be solved,
then we could indeed put shared libraries (and even shared memory!) into
separate segments, ala Multics.  This would be very clean from an OS
architectural issue --- unfortunately, it requires a lot of compiler
support that just doesn't exist right now.  

It would also break a lot of programs, since a pointer would be 48 bits,
instead of 32 bits, and there are a lot of programs that assume that the
width of pointer is the same as the width of an integer, or a long.
(This isn't a portable assumption --- but there are still a lot of
programs left over from the "All the world's a Vax" days.)

                                        - Ted

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Robert Simons)
Subject: accept() not functioning 100%?
Date: 12 Oct 94 07:03:04 +0500 EST

According to every manual I have ever read, the accept() system call will load
the passwed sockaddr structure with information about the connecting client. 
According to my tests, this doesn't happen under Linux.  Consider:

#define ADDRESS 3012       /* Some unused user-defined port */

dumb_func()
 {
    char c;
    FILE *fp;
    int fromlen;
    register int i, s, ns, len;
    struct sockaddr_un saun, fsaun;
 
    for(;;)
    {
       /* Set up signal handler for kill 15 and Interrupt */
       signal(SIGTERM, cleanup);
       signal(SIGINT, cleanup);
 
       /* Get a socket to work with.  The socket will be in the UNIX
          domain, and will be a stream socket  
       */
 
       if ((s = socket(AF_UNIX, SOCK_STREAM, 0)) < 0) 
       {
          perror("server: socket");
          exit(1);
       }
 
       /* Create the address we will be binding to */
       saun.sun_family = AF_UNIX;
       strcpy(saun.sun_path, ADDRESS);
 
       /* Try to bind the address to the socket.  We
          unlink the name first, so that the bind won't fail.
          The third argument indicates the "length" of the 
          structure, not just the length of the socket name!
       */
 
       unlink(ADDRESS);
       len = sizeof(saun.sun_family) + strlen(saun.sun_path);
       /* fromlen = sizeof(fsaun.sun_family) + strlen(fsaun.sun_path); */
       fromlen = sizeof(fsaun);
 
       if (bind(s, &saun, len) < 0)
       {
          perror("server: bind");
          exit(1);
       }
 
       /* Listen on the socket */
       if (listen(s, 5) < 0)
       {
          perror("server: listen");
          exit(1);
       }
 
       printf("\nWaiting for connection: \n");
 
       /* Accept connections.  When we accept one, ns will be connected
          to the client.  fsaun will contain the address of the client.
       */
 
       if ((ns = accept(s, (struct sockaddr_un *)&fsaun, (int *)&fromlen)) < 0)
       {
          perror("server: accept");
          exit(1);
       }
 
       printf("Connection from: %s\n", fsaun.sun_path);
       printf("Connection flen: %d\n", fromlen);
    
       /* We'll use stdio for reading the socket */
       fp = fdopen(ns, "r");
 
       /* We can simply use close() to terminate the connection, since we
             are done with both sides 
       */
    
       close(s);
    }
 
    exit(0);
 }

In the above example, the fsaun instance of sockaddr_un is not getting loaded
properly.  Any ideas?  Everything seems to work fine, it just doesn't load the
client information into the sockaddr structure... 

---
[email-masked]

[Computer Online Services (COS) - Clique.com]
[3606 10th Ave North. Palm Springs, FL 33461]
[Voice.............407-641-7454]
[Modem.............407-641-7484]
[FAX...............407-641-7226]

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Frank Lofaro)
Subject: Re: Improving SLIP latency under Linux
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 94 02:51:57 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>Oops, I meant "-2- or -3-". (Rationale: There should be a link-level
>checksum. The modem error correction isn't end-to-end, but it's better than
>no error correction at all.)
>

Huh??? You need link-level checksums when you already have TCP and UDP 
checksums?

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Bernd Eckenfels)
Subject: Re: Status of Linux and Distributions security
Date: 14 Oct 1994 02:40:54 GMT

Cees de Groot ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]>,
: Daniel L. Marks <[email-masked]> wrote:
: >How do the recent linux kernels (1.1.45+) and the various distributions
: >(Slackware, SLS, Debian) compare to commercial UNIX offerings such as
: >SCO, UnixWare, and BSDI for the number of security holes each is known
: >to have?
There is a Problem with the memory management. If u request huge
amounts of memory without writing to it, u can request more memory
than virtually are available. If u now start to write into those
pages, the free memory will decrease, the system will swap more and
more, until it is really locked up. Something like SIGWARN (from AIX)
should be impemented, or at least some appropirate (on user basis)
rlimits.

Greetings
Bernd

PS: i patched a quick and drity RLIMIT_NPROC without hte use of an
structure for user-informations. I think it is time to invent an
structure wich is allocated once for each user (a process is running
for), wich can be used to restrict the maximu numbers of processes
for an user, or the maximum amount of virtual memory. This is not
possible on an process-basis.
--
  (OO)        --  [email-masked]  --
 ( .. )    +4972573817   [email-masked]   [email-masked]
  o--o            *QUAK* Jetzt auch mit Plueschtier in der .Sig!  
(O____O)   <A href=http://rzstud1.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/~ukd1/>Eckes@IRC</A>

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Joe Desbonnet)
Subject: [Q] touch-thru-glass keypad driver suggestions
Date: 12 Oct 1994 08:50:29 GMT

I'm writing a driver for a touch-thru-glass keypad.
The unit sends codes via a serial line and I have
successfully written code to decode this. However
I need suggestions as to how I can effectivly press
a key on the keyboard so that this will work with
applications without modifying them. I guess it
should be possible to program this in user mode(?).

Thanks,

Joe Desbonnet.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Matthias Urlichs)
Subject: Re: Suggestion: comp.os.linux.channelecho.*
Date: 12 Oct 1994 08:37:46 +0100

In comp.os.linux.development, article <[email-masked]>,
  [email-masked] (H. Peter Anvin) writes:
> 
> Forge a message using 
> /usr/lib/sendmail -f from-address [email-masked]
> 
> Note: requires root access, and you to type in all relevant headers.
> 
I know that. Tried it, didn't work. (Not even a peep out of the list
processor.)

The next step was to telnet to their SMTP port. Still no luck.

And, yes, I know RFC822; the message _was_ correct.

-- 
The only winner of the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky.
                                       -- Solomon Short
-- 
Matthias Urlichs        \ XLink-POP Nürnberg  | EMail: [email-masked]
Schleiermacherstraße 12  \  Unix+Linux+Mac    | Phone: ...please use email.
90491 Nürnberg (Germany)  \   Consulting+Networking+Programming+etc'ing     42
          PGP: 1B 89 E2 1C 43 EA 80 44  15 D2 29 CF C6 C7 E0 DE 
      Click <A HREF="http://smurf.noris.de/~urlichs/finger">here</A>.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Sebastian Egner)
Subject: A/D-board with Linux-driver??
Date: 14 Oct 1994 14:05:49 GMT

Does anybody know of multiple channel
analog/digital interface boards for
AT-bus IBM-compatibles for which there
is regular (/dev/*) Linux device driver
software?

  Sebastian Egner,
  Zentrum f"ur Kunst und Medientechnologie,
  Karlsruhe (Germany)

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (David Fox)
Subject: Re: libg++-2.6: builtinbuf undefined
Date: 14 Oct 1994 02:52:37 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Kai-Uwe Sattler) writes:

] > Error message:
] > ../../libg++.a(stdstrbufs.o): Undefined symbol builtinbuf referenced from data segment
] 
] I have the same problem, but only with Linux. On SunOS 4.1.3 and
] Solaris 2.3 I can build libg++ without errors. Any hints ?

I got the error on SunOS 4.1.3 too.  I just removed stdstrbufs.o
from the list of files to be made, I haven't missed it yet.
--
David Fox                                               xoF divaD
NYU Media Research Lab                     baL hcraeseR aideM UYN

------------------------------

From: Bryan Ford <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Shared Libs: working toward a permanent solution?
Date: 14 Oct 1994 11:12:22 -0400
Reply-To: [email-masked]

|The real problem with this sort of solution is that you have to educate
|GCC about segment registers, and you have to include the segment number
|into a pointer.  Otherwise, how is GCC supposed to know whether a
|pointer was pointing at memory from the library's data segment, or at
|memory passed in from the caller?  

It doesn't need to.  Any pointer that actually gets passed around in
a program in variables and such is still a 32-bit, absolute, "small model"
pointer as usual.  The only thing that needs to be changed is the method
of accessing or taking the address of a static variable.  To take the
address of a static variable, just convert the segment-register-relative
offset to a global, absolute offset by adding the base address of the
library, and use the resulting absolute pointer thereafter.  This will
work as long as a particular shared library doesn't move around in
a particular process's address space _while_it_is_running_, which would
be rather insane anyway. :-)

|I've discussed this problem with GCC hackers who were also Multics
|weanies, and this is a very difficult problem.  If it could be solved,
|then we could indeed put shared libraries (and even shared memory!) into
|separate segments, ala Multics.  This would be very clean from an OS
|architectural issue --- unfortunately, it requires a lot of compiler
|support that just doesn't exist right now.  

Yes, a true multisegmented environment has its attractions, but after
programming in one for a while (i.e. 16-bit DOS), I'd say its disadvantages
are much bigger than its advantages. :-)  But I wasn't proposing a true
multisegmented environment; just a small architecture-specific kludge
to allow the compiler to use a segment register instead of a scarce general
register to remember the library base address in a PIC library.

                                Bryan

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Dan Pop)
Subject: Re: A badly missed feature in gcc
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 1994 11:10:10 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Kevin Lentin) writes:

>So are comments. The only non-C things the compiler sees are the # nn file
>Directives so it knows where source comes from. So there is still no
>meaning to the carriage return added to the comment syntax as far as the
>compiler is concerned.
>
>That aside, I believe C++ comments are better. They're great for single
>line comments, make temporary removal of a line easy (I still use C
>comments for temporary removal of small blocks of code and #if for bigger
>ones). BUT I think C should remain C. You're just going to break something
>somewhere eventually. 

Besides breaking valid C code, changing cpp to accept // comments as 
default behaviour will also break other utilities which rely on cpp.
For example, if you have in your .Xdefaults:

Mosaic*homeDocument:    http://info.cern.ch

the result will be completely different than what you expect, unless
you use the -nocpp xrdb option, which means removing functionality from
xrdb.

Another example is the Unix Fortran compiler, f77. If it compiles a file
with the .F extension, it will pass the source file through cpp before
compiling it. But // is a Fortran operator! :-)

Dan
--
Dan Pop 
CERN, CN Division
Email: [email-masked]
Mail:  CERN - PPE, Bat. 31 R-004, CH-1211 Geneve 23, Switzerland

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
From: [email-masked] (Thomas G. McWilliams)
Subject: Re: Status of Mac Linux & PPC Linux?
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1994 08:16:33 GMT

The following was posted by [email-masked] (Gary J LaPointe)
to comp.sys.powerpc:

=======================================================================

LINUX ON POWER MAC DELAYED AS I/O PROBLEMS & COLLEGE WORK INTERVENE
(October 7th 1994) The amateur development work to port the Linux
version of Unix to the Power Macintosh has stalled. Back in May
(Issue 5 story 1054), two students, Charlton Wilbur and Jem Lewis,
laid out their ambitious plans to get the Freeware Unix clone up and
running on Apple's machines by September.

Lewis admits that finding spare time is a problem. However he said
this week: "Our biggest problem besides time right now is that the
Power Mac I/O stuff is a proprietary technology, and Apple's not
telling." He adds that they are trying to "cajole" the necessary
information from Apple and are also looking at how to reverse
engineer the chip.

Lewis says that the pair are still plodding on with the project;
"When we think we have a handle on what's going to happen with the
Mac I/O stuff, we'll send a note with a revised schedule", he said.

--

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Ari Widodo)
Subject: ypbind didn't work
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1994 10:26:49 GMT

 First, I would like to say thanks for all whom gave me
 information about NIS. And I got the yp-client packages
 and install that. But I canN't run ypbind. 
---
/usr/sbin/ypbind 
Undefined C library functions:
        1. light C shared image (Use the real one instead.)
---
 
  Should I recompile my C library ? Can somebody give me 
some explanation for this error ?

  Thank you very much,

  Regards,

  Ari Widodo
--
=====  A R I   W I D O D O    E=mail: [email-masked]=u.ac.jp ===== 
Saitama University  Dept. of Electrical and Electonic Engineering       
        Member of ACCESS, Information Processing Center.        
-- 
=====  A R I   W I D O D O    E=mail: [email-masked]=u.ac.jp ===== 
Saitama University  Dept. of Electrical and Electonic Engineering       
        Member of ACCESS, Information Processing Center.        

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Christopher Wiles)
Subject: 1.1.52 Kernel Panics
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 1994 19:03:57 GMT

This has happened twice in the past two days:

The machine has been running for a few hours.  I'm using EMACS on a short 
(<5Kb) file.  Suddenly, I get a kernel panic along the lines of "EXT2FS: 
can't access inode" (I apologize for not having the exact error message, 
I can't find the scrap of paper I wrote it on).  Three-finger-salute does 
not work, machine locks up nicely, and I have to press the reset button.

The machine in question is a 386DX40, 8 megs of RAM, two Maxtors (a 42 
meg and a 540 meg).  The kernel was compiled the day before yesterday 
with GCC 2.6.0, -O2, -m386.  I'm fairly sure that it isn't GCC, as I 
successfully used a 2.6.0-compiled 1.1.51 for almost a month, no incident.

As I've got a really nasty software engineering project due Thursday, I 
do not have the time to debug this one.  I've went back to 1.1.51 (umount 
bugs and all).

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

-- Chris

[email-masked]   [email-masked]   [email-masked]
       "... but I want to use all eight comm ports SIMULTANEOUSLY!"
   PGP 2.6 public key available by finger for the clinically paranoid.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Lundquist)
Subject: .52 & .52 Hangs in heavy FTP'ing..
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 1994 17:03:17 GMT

Hi.

I have problems running, 1.1.53 in my box. It will hang with no notice when 
people is ftp'ing to it. They use different DOS/WIN ftp's.

It seems like 1.1.51 works, but I have encountered (sp!) hangs there too..
but more casually.

I have used the .tar file from funet.fi with 1.1.52.

Setup: 

486dx66 16Mram
800M IDE HD (yes, I should by a scsi drive..:=)
2.1G, 325M ScsiHD
aha 1542B
generic S3 card
Ne2000 (original)
GUS w/1MB (tried both with sound in kernal and without.)

Guess this is a betareport.. WIsh I had more info, but nothing in /usr/adm/ 
gives me any hints.

Thanks.

--
Thomas Lundquist.                         eMail : [email-masked]
Oestfold regional college, Norway.        Baldrick @Final Realms mud
Departement of computer science.          @kark.hiof.no port 2001
                                          Kark = 158.36.33.5

                        ..PGP key available..
                              ..Peace..

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Werner Almesberger)
Subject: Re: LINUX Logical volumes
Date: 13 Oct 1994 10:57:03 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:
>In-reply-to: [email-masked]'s message of 12 Oct 1994 15:34:56 GMT
> Logical volumes should be easy to implement with userfs.

But then they'd be slow. I think there are three distinct areas that are
typically associated with the concept of logical volumes:

 1) flexible disk space assignment: a virtual storage pool
 2) higher data troughput: striping accross multiple disks
 3) more reliability: checksum drives and/or mirroring

2) and 3) are typically associated with RAID concepts.

1) would be fairly simple to implement, with only a marginal performance
hit. 2) could be easy too, but it may be hairy to administer (e.g. you'd
have to make good guesses about the optimal length of physical reads. Of
course, that may change from cylinder to cylinder.) Another problem with
2) is, that many people would want to be able to use it with sets of
non-identical drives, which would give only partial speed improvements
and/or increase the complexity of configuring such a system.

3) is the hardest part. For 3), you need some extended disk access
scheduling, e.g. write data, THEN write copy (or update checksum),
THEN allow any other writes to related sectors/blocks. Also, some cheap
mechanism to keep the system state after a failure (e.g. power drops
and system is interrupred in the middle of a write, so your block may
be partially corrupted but you can't flag is as "bad" anymore) would
be mandatory. Of course, write buffering in the drive could make all
this just impossible.

Also, 3) requires some good understanding of failure patterns. Since
nowadays, the electronic parts of a disk drive tend to be more likely
to fail that the mechanic parts, you also have to be concerned about
disk controller or (very common !) bus problems. Of course, an easy
but probably adequate solution to the latter would be to declare them
as something that's beyond the scope of such a concept. Let's also
not talk about drive firmware bugs (and yes, you see more of those in
large, less common setups).

Since 1) and 2) significantly increase the average amount of data lost
per time period (if any single drive of a large virtual drive fails,
you might lose an entire huge file system, so the loss increase can be
even quadratic), you either want to have a very good backup policy or,
some security of the 3) type.

Because people generally tend to neglect backups, the result of
implementing 1) and/or 2) without 3) might be that the general
impression of logical volumes would be that they don't work well and
that Linux itself might be unreliable. (Such generalizations happen
all the time - just witness the many claims of file system errors even
if it's very obvious that hardware problems are the real cause.)

Another problem is that building 1) and 2) without taking into account
(i.e. prototyping) 3) might result in a design that makes it hard to
add 3) at a later time.

So, as a poster has already commented, it's not the implementation,
it's the design.

> What about `ifs'?

IFS can be used to extend your file system capacity, but you pay a very
high price in terms of access latency and administrative overhead if you
use it this way, even if you take the old kernel-based one. (And then
you also get a bonus share of unreliability.)

- Werner
-- 
   _________________________________________________________________________
  / Werner Almesberger, sending this from    [email-masked] /
 /[email-masked]/

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (John Huang)
Subject: Re: 3c505 driver ?
Date: 14 Oct 1994 16:29:15 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Tall Sword <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Zheng Huang ([email-masked]) wrote:
>: Hi,
>
>: I tried to config my linux(slakware 2.0) to work with my 3c505 network card,
>: but I can't find the 3c505.c file in linux src directory under drivers.
>: For some reason, the 3c505 is been commented out from the config file. Could
>: someone tell me how I can make 3c505 work with linux.
>Try get the update kernel and compile again. For me, I am running 1.1.53 and
>the 3c503 works fine on my system.
>
>--
>* Origin: TallSword, Computer Science Year 2, HKUST
>      internet: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>                [email-masked], [email-masked]
>                [email-masked]
>      fidonet:  Raymond Ko, 6:700/[email-masked]
>        

Does 3c503 driver works with 3c505 card?

I tried to configure the kernel to include the 3c503 driver but it don't 
recognize my card. I know the linux has support for all the 3com card except
for 505. I tried my 3c501 card, and it works.

Any help for 3c505 driver?

Thanks for the reply.

-- 
John
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x.i386unix
From: [email-masked] (Rafal Kustra)
Subject: Term blocks modem, switching to VT and back restores?
Date: 11 Oct 94 02:18:17 GMT

I have ATI GUP, 2MVRAM. When I run term and do intensive
communications (xmosaic over term, or some other graphical stwre), I
would get my modem blocked. Term just keeps sending data from remote,
with higher and higher latencies. Nothing will happen on my machine.
In the past, I would have to kill term and seyon, and even than I
wouldn't be able to connect to modem. Sometimes modem would send
responses to requests made minute ago, as it if was backloged. But now
I found a "solution": I such a blockage occurs (for example, I start
xmosaic, having already opend emacs, all via term, and see that
nothing is happening, I move my pointer to emacs window, and see that
cursor would no highlight.) than I switch to VT and back to X, and some
progress will be made. I just went over 20 or so pages of htlm in
mosaic, having had to switch to VT and back few times. It (switching)
just seems to unblock the modem. I am running Xfree 3.1, but same kind
of blocking occurs in 2.1.1. I haven't tested whether this switching
seems to restore the modem in 2.1.1, but I remember now it seem to
did, concidentaly. It ("solution") just occured to me now.

Thing that bothers me are the IRQ jumpers on my ATI/GUP board, with
choice for IRQ3/2/5. However, manual says not to touch this and all
are open now. I tried, some time ago, set it to IRQ 5, but I don't
think it alleviated the problem - I remmember still having those
loockups, although I was looking for smthg else then. (My modem is
running on COM2/IRQ 3 with 14400B/56000 DTE speed. Also tried 38400
DTE). Also ATI is said to use I/O address normaly belonging to COM 4,
and my I/O card is set at COM1/COM4 (since COM 2 is used by internal
modem). I cannot disable COM2/COM4 alltogether.
I reiterate: I do not have problems with Video card, and modem/term,
as long as intensive (bi-directional, it seems) graphic related term
communication takes place. For example, I usually do not have problems
with uploading /downloading files, in term, even at the same time.
Same for running EMACS19 over term. Xmosaic, is an almost sure way to
block the term/modem couple.

Any ideas? (I am running Linux 1.1.52, same happened since at least
1.1.37. Before it was rather OK, although I did not do much with term.
Also I got my ATI/GUP at about the same time.).

                        Thanx,

                        Rafal

------------------------------

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

The service address, to which questions about the list itself and requests
to be added to or deleted from it should be directed, is:

    Internet: [email-masked]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.development) via:

    Internet: [email-masked]

Linux may be obtained via one of these FTP sites:
    nic.funet.fi				pub/OS/Linux
    tsx-11.mit.edu				pub/linux
    sunsite.unc.edu				pub/Linux

End of Linux-Development Digest
******************************