Subject: Linux-Misc Digest #707
From: Digestifier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 94 10:13:11 EDT

Linux-Misc Digest #707, Volume #2                 Sun, 4 Sep 94 10:13:11 EDT

Contents:
  tkppp 1.2 released ("Eric Jeschke")
  Re: Linus: Leaving for Australia (Phil Hughes)
  Re: LJ#4? (Phil Hughes)
  g3topbm problem ? (Wolf Paul)
  Re: PGP Signature (Was: Suggest:SCSI Tape File System) (Jeffrey Oxenreider)
  Re: Green Motherboards (Chris)
  Re: Anyone running on 386sx? How much mem do you have? (David Holland)
  Re: Linux BBS Software (Inge Cubitt)
  Re: Whats the best _CHEAP_ ISA video card for Linux/Xfree? (Mark A. Horton KA4YBR)
  terminal servers (michael)
  Re: Mosaic !!! (Greg Cisko)
  What is the best Motif lib? (Tim Bass (Network Systems Engineer))
  Re: LILO + DOS boot record = disaster (Harry C Pulley)
  Re: LILO + DOS boot record = disaster (Mikko Hypponen)
  Re: Multi User Minimums (Alan Cox)
  Re: Application to format/read/write Macintosh Disks (Alan Cox)
  Re: Kernel bug? (Alan Cox)
  Re: If Linux passes X/Open's Spec 1170, will it become a true Unix? (Alan Cox)
  Re: (FLAME) Curse on HOWTO's (Alan Cox)
  Re: Does Linux honor the setuid bit on shell scripts? (Alan Cox)
  Re: SOCK_PACKET: Why not reading outgoing packets ? (Alan Cox)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: "Eric Jeschke" <[email-masked]>
Subject: tkppp 1.2 released
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 1994 18:01:47 -0500

Hi.  I have upgraded tkppp to 1.2; the file on sunsite.unc.edu is

        /pub/Linux/Incoming/tkppp-1.2.tgz

and should be moved elsewhere (/pub/Linux/X11/xapps/comm ??) soon.

Thanks to [email-masked] for some excellent improvements
including a cool color icon!

Please send any bugfixes and enhancements to [email-masked]

Eric Jeschke                      |          Indiana University
[email-masked]            |     Computer Science Department

Here is the ChangeLog and README:
================================================================
$Log: ChangeLog,v $
Revision 1.2  1994/09/03  21:40:17  jeschke
9/2/94 [email-masked]
--added feature to display local ip address (for those who have dynamic
servers.)
--add optional TIX support so it could look more motifish. (big whoop.)
--integrated shell scripts into program.
--added homebrewed xpm file for icon.
--let you just type 'o' to bring up connection or 'f' to end it, in addition
to the already used key bindings...

9/3/94 [email-masked]
--merged jmmadiso's changes (above) with minor mods
--window updates are now timely
--added busy cursor while link is going up or down

Revision 1.1  1994/09/03  21:36:59  jeschke
Initial revision

-[README]-----------------------------------------------------------

What is tkppp?
==============
tkppp is a short wish (tcl/tk) script I wrote to control a PPP
connection on my Linux box.  It presents a small window with
buttons for starting and quitting PPP, a small status message area 
and a quick-glance icon for determining the status of the PPP
link.

What is required?
=================
  -  the PPP package, including working ppp-on and ppp-off scripts.
  -  tcl/tk
     [ I'm not sure what versions of tcl and tk I used to make this,
       but there is nothing fancy here, so just try it out. ]

Installation
============
  -  unzip and untar the package.
  -  edit tkppp and change the paths at the top of the file
     to suit your system.
  -  try it out.  You may need to run tkppp as root IFF your
     own ppp-on and ppp-off scripts require that.
  -  If you like it, you may want to move the files someplace
     more permanent.  I suggest /usr/include/X11/bitmaps for
     the bitmaps and /usr/local/bin or some such for the tkppp script.
     Be sure to edit tkppp if you move the bitmaps around.

What it does
============
tkppp calls the ppp-on and ppp-off scripts that should be provided
with your PPP distribution.  You will need to get these working or
write your own scripts to initiate and take down the PPP connection.

Once tkppp is running, it wakes up every so often to check whether
the pppd daemon is still running and updates the status display
accordingly.

Distribution
============
I place this package in the public domain.

*** I am maintaining tkppp, so please pass along your comments,
bug fixes, patches, enhancements, etc. to [email-masked]
so that I can merge them into future releases of tkppp. ***

Enjoy!

Eric Jeschke
[email-masked]

-- 
Eric Jeschke                      |          Indiana University
[email-masked]            |     Computer Science Department

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Phil Hughes)
Subject: Re: Linus: Leaving for Australia
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 1994 21:55:11 GMT

Mark A. Horton KA4YBR ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Linus Torvalds ([email-masked]) wrote:

:       [ chop ]

: : I'll be back (*),

: :             Linus

: : (*) October 4, actually.

:       Been watching a few too many Arnold Schwarznegger movies,
:       have we, Linus??

:       :)  (have fun!)

Guess we mailed those T-shirts to him too late for his trip.  (Belinda
noticed that he didn't have a shirt on in his picture in the September
Wired so she sent him a "My Other Computer is a LINUX System" shirt and a
"Virtual Brewery" shirt.)
: - m
: --
: ------------------------------------------------------------
: Mark A. Horton       ka4ybr             [email-masked]
: P.O. Box 747 Decatur GA US 30031-0747         [email-masked]
: +1.404.371.0291                     33 45 31 N / 084 16 59 W

--
Phil Hughes, Publisher, Linux Journal (206) 527-3385
usually [email-masked], sometimes [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Phil Hughes)
Subject: Re: LJ#4?
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 1994 22:04:26 GMT

yuan tzeng ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Liam Greenwood ([email-masked]) wrote:
: : Joseph W. Vigneau ([email-masked]) wrote:
: : > Has the Linux Journal #4 been distributed yet?  I just received LJ#3 
: : > yesterday...

: :     I received the Linux Journal #5 today.
: :                     Liam

:    I got my copy too here in Taiwan. Taking a quick look, I  find
: page 6, "RISC BASED MULTIPORT CARD" is interesting to me.

We have been moving the production date back a couple of days each month.
By the end of the year everyone should receive their issue before the
start of the month matching the cover date plus it will be on the
newsstands before the cover month.

For example, the October issue is currently at the printer (issue #6) and
will be back on the 9th of September.  That means it should be in the mail
by the 14th.

For our US subscribers, we hope to have the subscription base up high
enough so that we can start sending via Second Class early next year.
That should decrease the delivery time.

For you people in Canada, tell your friends about us.  Because of the low
number of subscribers in Canada we have to pay very high postage rates.

If you wonder where the subscribers are, hang in there.  There are some
charts in issue #6 that show what our subscription base looks like.

[If you have any questions or comments about Linux Journal, call or
send e-mail to [email-masked].  Also let us know if it is ok to publish
your letter.]
--
Phil Hughes, Publisher, Linux Journal (206) 527-3385
usually [email-masked], sometimes [email-masked]

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
From: [email-masked] (Wolf Paul)
Subject: g3topbm problem ?
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 1994 05:26:16 GMT

I have just installed Rob Hooft's 1mar1994 binary NETPBM package, and
trying to print a received fax with efax's "fax print" command
resulted in the following error message:

        "g3topbm: error allocating memory for a row"

and no usable output.

Has anyone encountered this before, is there a fix, or has anyone a
suggestion, before I spend a lot of time tracking this down?

Does anyone know of another way of converting g3 format files to
something printable on a DeskJet/LaserJet or PostScript printer?

Thanks!
-- 
         V           Wolf N. Paul, UNIX Support/KSF     [email-masked]
+-----------------+  Alcatel Austria AG, Site "F"     +43-1-291-21-122 (w)
|  A L C A T E L  |  Ruthnergasse 1-7                 +43-1-292-1452 (fax)
+-----------------+  A-1210 Vienna-Austria/Europe       +43-1-220-6481 (h)

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Jeffrey Oxenreider)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development
Subject: Re: PGP Signature (Was: Suggest:SCSI Tape File System)
Date: 2 Sep 1994 11:55:30 GMT

Darin Johnson ([email-masked]) wrote:
: That also begs the question of whether or not your message was
: important enough to even care if you really wrote it or not.

That's a matter of personal opinion.  Take for example the recient fiasco 
with Steve Winters and the post about 'War on Satans BBS's', which was a 
long tirade about how pagan bbs's need to be terrorized and shut down.  
It was signed Steve Winters (and Steve is a well known 'hardcore' 
christian) and it was quite the rant and very believeable that Steve 
could have written it.  It was also a PGP signed message.  This ADDED to 
the believability of it.  However it was later discovered that Steve 
never had a PGP key, and never wrote the message.  If (before this 
incident) Steve had made a public key, some people could have checked the 
validity of this *highly* volitile message.  Mr. Winters now is (or is in 
the process of) making a public PGP key so this kind of thing can't 
happen again with his name.
--
*----===========================================================------*
*           [email-masked]   |   [email-masked]        *
* [email-masked] | [email-masked]    *
*                      BBS # (614) 235-5942                           *
* Fnord                   All hail Eris!                      Fnord   *
* finger [email-masked] or FREQ PGPKEY from 1:226/560 for PGP key *
*---=============================================================-----*

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Chris)
Subject: Re: Green Motherboards
Date: 4 Sep 1994 06:13:38 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Daniel Rock <[email-masked]> wrote:
>I doubt these options will work under Linux.

Ok - I DO have a green motherboard (model: Vi12G) ... Under kernel 
1.1.49, my harddrive WILL power down, but my monitor/CPU will only 
occasionally power down (I have no idea why... just that they do) :) ... 
There is nothing special about my HD, or IDE controller, but my monitor 
IS a green monitor.

>The power management facilities are controlled by the BIOS, which is disabled
>under Linux (except some PCI-BIOS Routines).

Hmm - I wonder how this explains the above :)

>I don't know it exact, but here is how I would do that:

[snip]
>I have a green board on my own and are using under DOS some power saving
>facilities, but I hadn't seen them work under Linux.

Like I said above, my HD is powers down 100% of the time; my CPU/Monitor, 
about 1 in 20 times thus far (I have only had the motherboard 2 weeks 
now, so I am still plaing with it) :)

>Daniel Rock

Chris Ling

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Anyone running on 386sx? How much mem do you have?
From: [email-masked] (David Holland)
Date: 1 Sep 94 16:48:55

[email-masked]'s message of 24 Aug 1994 18:45:37 GMT said:

 > Well, I've been running linux on my 386sx 33 for quite awhile, and it works
 > reasonably well for me.  I have 8 meg real memory, and 10 meg swap space
 > and have never run into memory problems.  However...  Different things I've
 > found with it is recomnpiling the kernel takes 3-4+ hours to do, compared to
 > 15 min on a 486dx2 <what i'm upgrading to VERY soon>  And I think even
 > considering running X on a 386sx would be a nightmare...  

Do all of you (meaning the posters in this thread) have really slow
machines or something?

386sx-20, 4M RAM, 6M swap. Kernels take a bit over 2 hours, pushing
2.5 for the latest ones. The .99.14 kernel took more like 1.5. X
putters, but it's fast enough for non-demanding stuff like xbombs.
(I also have a really slow video card.)

--
   - David A. Holland          | -- "Do you have a moment?"   -- "Yes.
     [email-masked] | Unfortunately, it's a moment of inertia."

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Inge Cubitt)
Subject: Re: Linux BBS Software
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 1994 16:15:25 +0000

peter hill ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:

: > OK - drealm bbs is ready for beta testing, but we are in desparate need of
: > people who are already fairly linux-literate, and preferably in the UK so as
: > to keep transmission and contact costs down.
: > 

: I am looking for network _and_ modem access, with particular emphasis
: on security. If there is _any_ suspicion that a user could get onto
: the corporate network through the BBS then it won't even get a lookin.
: My company suffered a number of network breakins (via Internet) over
: the last year or so, and those who run network security are somewhat
: paranoid about who can do what on the network. They are even more
: paranoid about systems on the network which have modems attached.

I believe that installed according to the documentation, drealm is secure. 
However, the menus are configurable, and it would be possible for the sysop of
the BBS to use a menu function called 'system' or one called 'shell' to
perform external commands or even allow a user to shell out.

Since the BBS runs *as* the user running it (all drealm users have bona fide
unix accounts), any system command will be executed with the user's
permissions, plus the extra group (effective gid) bestowed while the bbs is
running - again a special bbs group, used for nothing else on the system.

There are a handful of setuid executables, which will be needed if you wish
dial-in users to create their own accounts, in the style of a Dos bbs, and for
a sysop to destroy an account.   On a linux machhine you also need a setuid
copy of chgrp and chown, as the BBS is supposed to ensure the right ownership
on files created during its execution.   The documentation advises how to
create a special BBS directory structure to ensure that these can only be
reached within the context of BBS execution.

We have asked various experienced unix users to try and hack the system from a
shell and so far they have been unable to do so.  

I would advise however, that the SysOp is a person who is trusted on the
system as a whole, as a combination of configurable menus and setuid
executables would leave an opening for an untrustworthy bbs operator to cause
some disruption.

Inge

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin
From: [email-masked] (Mark A. Horton KA4YBR)
Subject: Re: Whats the best _CHEAP_ ISA video card for Linux/Xfree?
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 1994 07:16:00 GMT

Dirk Eddelbuettel ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Very well that the ATI Mach32/Ultra/Ultra Pro are advocated for, but could
: someone give me hints for the best    performance/price    ratios ?

: My system is a 486DX-33, 16MB, ISA bus, 1024x768 interlaced 14'' SVGA 
: monitor so I am looking for an accelerated card that gives me 800x600 and 
: 1024x768 (but not more, no 2 MB cards needed) and that will be faster than 
: the 512 kB Oak Oti67 it will replace (this one sucks: TOTAL  3012.000000 
: xStones  reported by xbench).

It's not an accelerated card, but the little beastie is FAST! - the Trident
8900CL with 1MB... you can get them for about $60.00 and I've seen them
run rings around some so-called accelerated cards!  I dunno how they do it,
but they do!

- Mark

----
"Linux!     Guerrilla UNIX Development     Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus."
============================================================
Mark A. Horton       ka4ybr             [email-masked]
P.O. Box 747 Decatur GA US 30031-0747         [email-masked]
+1.404.371.0291                     33 45 31 N / 084 16 59 W

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (michael)
Subject: terminal servers
Date: 3 Sep 1994 20:09:11 -0700

I would be interested in hearing any positive or negative experiences
with Livingston terminal servers.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Greg Cisko)
Subject: Re: Mosaic !!!
Date: 4 Sep 1994 03:11:51 GMT
Reply-To: [email-masked]

In article [email-masked], [email-masked] (Benjamin Alman) writes:
> I am trying to get Mosaic on my linux box here, but it requires Motif - 
> and i only have an emulator for it, not the libraries!! Does anyone know 
> of a COMPILED binary version of the latest version (2.4 or so) with all 
> the other required files ???

I am using the compiled binaries that I got from sunsite. (I think that
is where I got them) Mosaic runs fine with SLackware 2.0.
> 
> i got version 1.2 off of tsx-11.mit.edu, but it says it can't find the 
> 'Connect' program...
> 
> I really would like the latest version, though !!!!
> 
> Please email any replies, thank you!! 
> 
> --
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> From: Ben Alman, Internet: [email-masked], My PC: [email-masked]
> Linux 1.1.47 + XFree386-2.1.1, Slackware 2.0 on an i486 DX/2-66 with 20mb RAM 
> It's just the age, It's just a stage, We disengage, We turn the page... -Rush

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Tim Bass (Network Systems Engineer))
Subject: What is the best Motif lib?
Date: 4 Sep 1994 03:08:26 GMT

Last week I noticed that the Slackware Pro has Mosaic for term
but not the old version of Mosaic with the static linked Xm stuff.

Guess it's time to buy Motif for both dynamic linking and development. 

Any ideas on the best Motif to purchase? Sink or Swim ?? :-)

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Harry C Pulley)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.msdos.programmer
Subject: Re: LILO + DOS boot record = disaster
Date: 4 Sep 1994 13:32:40 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:
: LILO overwrote my DOS boot record (not the Master Boot record).  Of course
: that only means one thing:  my entire DOS partition is toast.  $#@*&^!!!
: (I have no idea how LILO could have written itself to the DOS 
: boot record--it's not supposed to do that.)

Did you use /dev/hda or /dev/hda? for the boot= line.  It should be the whole
disk, not a partition.  It sounds like you told it to write to a partition
instead.

: The DOS partition is 434M and resides on Maxtor 546 drive.

: At first I got an Invalid Media Type error when trying to access C:, but
: I corrected that problem by copying the boot record from my 130 drive
: onto the 546's corrupted DOS boot record.

: But now when I do dir c: I get nothing but garbage.  I need to know
: the details of the standard DOS boot record (or whatever is responsible for 
: telling DOS where the FAT and root directory are) so I can correct this.

: I searched my entire HD to see if LILO kindly saved a copy of my
: original DOS boot record, but it didn't (pretty lame).  [I searched
: on some keyboards such as MSDOS5.0 and FAT16, which are standard "tags" in 
: the DOS boot record but the search was fruitless.]

lilo is supposed to save the bootsector but mine doesn't do it either.  I have
one bootsave file from Jul 10 and I have run lilo several times since then.

: I basically need some (major) help reconstructing the DOS boot record.

: You can reply privately or publicly, but if you choose the latter you
: may want to edit the newsgroup distribution line appropriately so as to
: not anger the natives. ;)

I would suggest that you use Norton DiskDoctor or some such file fixer program.
I don't use them myself but friends of mine can do wonders with those sort of
programs.

Harry
--
<:-{}   [email-masked]       |This message released|It takes all kinds,
 \      Harry C. Pulley, IV       |to the PUBLIC DOMAIN.|and to each his own.
==================================+=====================|This thought in mind,
Stay away from the DOS side, Luke!|Un*x don't play that.|I walk alone.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Mikko Hypponen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.msdos.programmer
Subject: Re: LILO + DOS boot record = disaster
Date: 4 Sep 1994 13:36:22 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:
> I basically need some (major) help reconstructing the DOS boot record.

Try overwriting your boot sector with zeroes (use some disk editor)
and booting up from a DOS diskette with SYS.COM on it and doing a SYS C:.

Make sure the diskette has exactly the same version of DOS as the
partition had you are trying to recover.

--
        Mikko Hypponen // [email-masked] // Finland
  Data Fellows Ltd's F-PROT Professional Support: [email-masked]
           Check out our WWW site at http://www.datafellows.fi/

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Subject: Re: Multi User Minimums
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 1994 10:04:00 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Peter Schoenmaker) writes:
>I am interested in the minimum requirements for a linux box with four or five
>users running just basic programs.  Please tell me about your multi user system
>your hardware and your software you are running.  

We had 5-8 users on a 4Mb 386DX40 quite happily all using tin (reading news
via nntp), elm , a small bbs written here, telnet/rlogin and some small mud
clients. In other words basically a user to internet front end. It worked
but was a lot happier with 8Mb. With the light disk usage (barring swapping)
it got the IDE drives were also adequate.

For a general purpose 5 user system I'd probably now be looking for a VLB
486SX and 8Mb of RAM for light usage. For heavy usage - lots of compiles,
mosaic, X stuff going on you'll want a lot more ram and possibly a real
disk controller.

Alan
-- 
  ..-----------,,----------------------------,,----------------------------,,
 // Alan Cox  //  [email-masked]   //  GW4PTS@GB7SWN.#45.GBR.EU  //
 ``----------'`----------------------------'`----------------------------''

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Subject: Re: Application to format/read/write Macintosh Disks
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 1994 10:05:45 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Viktor T. Toth) writes:
>I don't know of any Linux applications but there are some DOS 
>freeware/shareware ones that may or may not work under DOSEMU.

Xhfs will do 1.44Mb mac disks. It's on sunsite. I've not found many formats
I can't read under Linux - even obscure stuff like OS/9 seems to be
supported somehow (and even BBC micro disks if you have an old style floppy
controller!).

Alan

-- 
  ..-----------,,----------------------------,,----------------------------,,
 // Alan Cox  //  [email-masked]   //  GW4PTS@GB7SWN.#45.GBR.EU  //
 ``----------'`----------------------------'`----------------------------''

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Subject: Re: Kernel bug?
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 1994 10:08:03 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Steinar Midtskogen) writes:
>Nazgul ~> mkfifo foo
>Nazgul ~> ls > foo         # Or 'ls >> foo'
>bash: foo: Stale NFS file handle
Ok I'd expect -ENXIO but so far so bad...
>Nazgul ~> ls
>Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address e102a8ac

Oops .. yes thats a kernel bug. Can you email me a full report and look
up 0010e610 and 00120b93 in your zSystem.map

Alan

-- 
  ..-----------,,----------------------------,,----------------------------,,
 // Alan Cox  //  [email-masked]   //  GW4PTS@GB7SWN.#45.GBR.EU  //
 ``----------'`----------------------------'`----------------------------''

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Subject: Re: If Linux passes X/Open's Spec 1170, will it become a true Unix?
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 1994 10:09:38 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Maxim Spivak) writes:
>In UniForum's UniNews July 20,1994 issue there's and article on X/Open's 
>UNIX branding. This got me thinking--if Linux would pass this branding, 
>would it become a full-fledged _official_ Unix, on par with SunOS or 
>HP/UX or whatever? 

Correct as I understand it unless there is some requirement for the code
to be derived from the AT&T code...

>So the question is--how close is Linux to conformance to Spec 1170? Would 
>it be a Good Thing(tm) for Linux to become a "true" Unix? Would it cost 
>major money to be branded, and if yes, is it worth raising that kind of 
>money somehow?

It would cost a lot and include royalties according to the X/open blurb I
saw.

Alan
-- 
  ..-----------,,----------------------------,,----------------------------,,
 // Alan Cox  //  [email-masked]   //  GW4PTS@GB7SWN.#45.GBR.EU  //
 ``----------'`----------------------------'`----------------------------''

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Subject: Re: (FLAME) Curse on HOWTO's
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 1994 10:11:39 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Timothy Murphy) writes:
>[email-masked] (Greg Hankins) writes:
>>I'm going to stand by my decision about using getty_ps as the recommended
>>getty in the Serial-HOWTO.  I have listed mgetty as an alternative getty,
>>and I have noted it's FAX handling capabilities.

>(1) I am only concerned with an appopriate getty for dialling in and out.

There is a simple solution to all of this. Write an Mgetty-HOWTO or a
DIALOUT-HOWTO or something. I'd actually agree with both of you. getty_ps is
the best getty unless you want dialout when mgetty is much better.

Alan
-- 
  ..-----------,,----------------------------,,----------------------------,,
 // Alan Cox  //  [email-masked]   //  GW4PTS@GB7SWN.#45.GBR.EU  //
 ``----------'`----------------------------'`----------------------------''

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Subject: Re: Does Linux honor the setuid bit on shell scripts?
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 1994 10:15:32 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Rick Kelly) writes:
>In my approximately 14 years of dealing with UNIX I have seen various
>instances where a shell script was setuid to some non-root user for
>purposes of software installation, netnews, etc.

And I suspect every single one was insecure. If it used a sys5.2 or sys5.3
bourne shell it was insecure (end of story). sys5.4 bourne shell I never
tested out in full. If the system has symbolic links its probably insecure
anyway.

>It seems to me that this makes Linux less of an "open" system than other
>UNIX systems.  Traditionally, UNIX has never had barriers that kept people
>from being stupid.

Valid point. I guess if someone feels like fixing the kernel so that it
doesn't have the implicit script re-open race and is thus safe at that level
it would be quite nice.

Alan

-- 
  ..-----------,,----------------------------,,----------------------------,,
 // Alan Cox  //  [email-masked]   //  GW4PTS@GB7SWN.#45.GBR.EU  //
 ``----------'`----------------------------'`----------------------------''

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.help
From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Subject: Re: SOCK_PACKET: Why not reading outgoing packets ?
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 1994 10:34:27 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Morten Jammer) writes:
>Why can the socket typ SOCK_PACKET only read outgoing packets
>when the interface is in promiscious mode ?

It can definitelyt read all incoming packets on all the cards I use
(barring etherexpress) otherwise tcpdump wouldnt work. Outgoing packet
viewing is very recent but now works.

Alan

-- 
  ..-----------,,----------------------------,,----------------------------,,
 // Alan Cox  //  [email-masked]   //  GW4PTS@GB7SWN.#45.GBR.EU  //
 ``----------'`----------------------------'`----------------------------''

------------------------------

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

The service address, to which questions about the list itself and requests
to be added to or deleted from it should be directed, is:

    Internet: [email-masked]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.misc) via:

    Internet: [email-masked]

Linux may be obtained via one of these FTP sites:
    nic.funet.fi				pub/OS/Linux
    tsx-11.mit.edu				pub/linux
    sunsite.unc.edu				pub/Linux

End of Linux-Misc Digest
******************************