Subject: Linux-Misc Digest #712
From: Digestifier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 94 20:13:12 EDT

Linux-Misc Digest #712, Volume #2                 Mon, 5 Sep 94 20:13:12 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Nachos anyone? (Terence S. Murphy)
  XFree fontformat (Wolfram Zeder)
  Re: dosemu problems with linux 1.1.45 (Ben Alkov)
  Re: Linux Inside T-Shirts, Now Printing! (Donald K. Wong)
  Re: LJ#4? (Derek Fawcus)
  Re: survey on S3 videocards with programmable clocks, especially (Derek Fawcus)
  Re: dosemu problems with linux 1.1.45 (Harry C Pulley)
  Re: 1542 (Michael Faurot)
  Re: BOCA 8 port NIGHTMARE !!! (Harald Milz)
  Re: Green Motherboards (Nick Danger)
  Re: [INFO WANTED] C/SLIP vs. PPP (Stormy Henderson)
  Re: Virus checker software for Linux. (Jason Haar)
  What is new nTeX package on sunsite? (Steve DuChene)
  Re: Nachos anyone? (Steve DuChene)
  Linux is a GNU system and the DWARF support (H.J. Lu)
  Proaudio Spectrum 16 help (Super Dave?)
  gcc 2.5.8 / g++ with -g does fail on XOpenDisplay( ) ?! (Michael Will)
  Best WWW server for linux (Michelle Murrain)
  Re: Monitoring TTY's .. (Ivan Parga)
  Re: What is /dev/mem? (Christopher Wiles)
  Re: 1542 (Dominic Fraser)
  Re: LILO + DOS boot record = disaster (Iolo Davidson)
  Re: 486dx4 vs Pentium 60 (Dan Pop)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Terence S. Murphy)
Subject: Re: Nachos anyone?
Date: 5 Sep 1994 12:18:29 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>,
Robert Wesley Bingler <[email-masked]> wrote:
>       Has anyone ported/compiled nachos operating system code to Linux?
>It is said to compile under FreeBSD etc.  I am working with version 3.2.

I compiled Nachos 3.2 when it first came out under linux.  The main thing
to do is remove all of the non-386 code from switch.s.  There are several
other changes, but didn't take me more than a couple of hours (much less
for someone who knows what he's doing)
-- 
Terry Murphy | Univ. of Illinois Freshman/CompSci major | "The whole world has
been made again" - Marillion  | There  ought to be  an alt.fan.linus-torvalds!

------------------------------

From: nummerzwei.in-berlin.de!wolfram (Wolfram Zeder)
Subject: XFree fontformat
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 1994 16:52:08 GMT

Hi out there!

Does anybody know What fontformats are supported by XFree?
Started xconq yesterday, but ther server didn t find the correct fonts on  
the client(linux/XFree).
Xconfig:
"...
FontPath        "/usr/X386/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
FontPath        "/usr/X386/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
FontPath        "/usr/X386/lib/X11/fonts/PEX/"
FontPath        "/usr/X386/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
FontPath        "/usr/X386/lib/X11/fonts/xconq/" 
...".
The upper directories contain fonts with the extention .pcf.
Added (...fonts/xconq/) are fonts with the extention .snf und .bdf.
Have I to convert them?
Any idea?

wolfram
-- 
Wolfram Zeder  Im Eichengrund 36   13629 Berlin
voice: +49 30 382 43 16  Fax.: +49 30 381 70 22

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Ben Alkov)
Subject: Re: dosemu problems with linux 1.1.45
Date: 5 Sep 1994 17:48:46 GMT

Kees Lemmens ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I was running dosemu 0.52 with linux 1.1.24 and this worked fine.
: Now I upgraded to linux.1.1.45 and suddenly dosemu crashes when it is run
: on the console.
*snip*
: Even recompiling (with new linux include files) didn't make any difference:
*snip*

Yeah, I got this present from 1.1.45 as well. It's still broken in 1.1.49.
My dosemu doesn't (seem to) even make it to vid init. It causes a
segmentation violation right off the starting line. Perhaps the lads @
dosemu.devel and kernel.devel should introduce themselves :-)

This is definitely a problem, though, and I for one would at least like some
advice on where to start poking.
--
ben alkov  [email-masked]
                  _O_
go in peace        |

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Donald K. Wong)
Subject: Re: Linux Inside T-Shirts, Now Printing!
Date: 5 Sep 1994 17:53:59 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Thomas Quinot <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Le Prostetnic Vogon [email-masked] écrit :
>> > Likewise!
>> Yep same here.
>Ditto :-)

Missed the beginning of this thread.  Where can I order these T-shirts 
from?  BTW, comp.sys.os.linux.help has a gif of the "linux inside" logo.

-- 
Donald K. Wong
[email-masked]

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Derek Fawcus)
Subject: Re: LJ#4?
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 1994 20:06:00 +0000

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Joseph W. Vigneau) writes:
>Has the Linux Journal #4 been distributed yet?  I just received LJ#3 
>yesterday...

Lucky fellow,   I still haven't received LJ#3

DF
-- 
Derek Fawcus (G7FVS)                                [email-masked]

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x.i386unix
From: [email-masked] (Derek Fawcus)
Subject: Re: survey on S3 videocards with programmable clocks, especially
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 1994 20:19:00 +0000

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Mihail S. Iotov) writes:
>I would like to here from S3 owners and users of XFree86. I will summarize.

#9 GXE L11,  E-step '928,  Don't know about the version,  and purchased
about 2 month's before the GXE64's were announced.  Clocks is icd2061a.

The switching takes about 20-30 seconds and I can watch the screen redraw
when I switch back.  This only started happening with Xfree-2.1,  in
XFree-2.0 the switching was under a second.  I'm currently using version
2.1.1.

DF
-- 
Derek Fawcus (G7FVS)                                [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Harry C Pulley)
Subject: Re: dosemu problems with linux 1.1.45
Date: 5 Sep 1994 17:52:09 GMT

Kees Lemmens ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I was running dosemu 0.52 with linux 1.1.24 and this worked fine.
: Now I upgraded to linux.1.1.45 and suddenly dosemu crashes when it is run
: on the console.
: The xterm version (curses based) still works fine.
: Even recompiling (with new linux include files) didn't make any difference:
: It still crashes when it tries to access the videocard.

: Anyone who can help ?

Get version 0.53 (pre53_17 was the one I picked up) from the private/devel
directory.  I am running it under 1.1.45 and it works just fine.

Harry
--
<:-{}   [email-masked]       |This message released|It takes all kinds,
 \      Harry C. Pulley, IV       |to the PUBLIC DOMAIN.|and to each his own.
==================================+=====================|This thought in mind,
Stay away from the DOS side, Luke!|Un*x don't play that.|I walk alone.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Michael Faurot)
Subject: Re: 1542
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 1994 17:23:24 GMT

Rob Janssen ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Dominic Fraser) writes:

: >Looking for info on the compatibility of Adaptec 1542c scsi interface cards.
: >I understand that the 1542b, which is obsolete, was more forgiving than 
: >the newer 1542c. Is this a problem with the linux drivers? 

: This is not related to software, but to hardware.  With the 1542C you
: just have to be more careful selecting good cables and having the proper
: termination at the ends of the cables.

It is my understanding that the 1542CF fixed/cured some of the
problems with the 1542C being fussy.  I currently have a 1542CF that
has been quite reliable and has not exhibited any of the fussyness
problems I've heard about regarding the first 1542C controllers.

However, as Rob Janseen pointed out, you do need to be sure you have
the proper cabling and termination.  This is basically true with
most SCSI host adapters anyways.
-- 
+--------------------+----------------------------+--------------------------+
|   Michael Faurot   | [email-masked]    |      I don't like        |
|   ------- ------   | ...!netcomsv!phzzzt!mfaurot|      lima beans!!        |
+--------------------+--------------------+-------+--------------------------+

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Harald Milz)
Subject: Re: BOCA 8 port NIGHTMARE !!!
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 1994 17:49:18 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc, Rob Janssen ([email-masked]) wrote:
> In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Tim Bass (Network Systems Engineer)) writes:

> >BOCA 8 port (with RJ11) trying just to talk to a BOCA
> >V.FAST modem (RJ11 to DB25 adapter) is ruining my
> >day(s)!  Why is it so hard just to get kermit to
> >talk to the modem??  There must be a better way to
> >do serial comm.

> This card is not suitable for use with modems.  Get a 6-port ioAT66 instead.

Or in other words: the Boca BB1004/1008 does not offer the necessary
signal lines for modems. They lack DTR, DCD and friends.

-- 
"Now this is a totally brain damaged algorithm.  Gag me with a
smurfette."
                -- P. Buhr, Computer Science 354
-- 
Harald Milz ([email-masked])      WWW: http://www.ix.de/editors/hm.html
iX Multiuser Multitasking Magazine      phone +49 (511) 53 52-377
Helstorfer Str. 7, D-30625 Hannover     fax   +49 (511) 53 52-378
Opinions stated herein are my own, not necessarily my employer's.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Nick Danger)
Subject: Re: Green Motherboards
Date: 5 Sep 1994 19:09:51 GMT

 I am using a gree motherboard on mine and have had zero problems that
 were from Linux. The only problem resulted from the use of very old
 (and slow) 80 meg drives. LILO would boot and if I selected my dos
 partition on hdb, it would not spin up fast enough and sometimes would
 screw up. If I just let hda spin up, it would run Linux no problem.
 Even with spindowns. I have since replaced A with a new segate and now
 the DOS partition will not boot at all, it doesnt seem to spin up fast
 enough for the system. Drives me crazy. Its an excuse for new drives I
 guess. :)

 -Nick

-- 
Nicholas Brenckle                    |  Its all part of my master plan to
Armstrong State College              |             Rule the World.
Computer Information Services        |       How can you look so cool
[email-masked]               |       And make me feel so hot?

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Stormy Henderson)
Subject: Re: [INFO WANTED] C/SLIP vs. PPP
Date: 5 Sep 1994 19:34:26 GMT
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Steve VanDevender wrote:

   What I found after a little playing with both CSLIP and PPP on my
   system is that PPP gets almost the maximum theoretical
   performance possible on my 14.4Kbps modem -- I'd see 1.6-1.7 K/s
   for large compressed binary FTP transfers, for example.  CSLIP
   under the same circumstances was doing only about 0.95 K/s.  So
   now I use PPP all the time, since I have a connection to a system
   with dialup PPP access.

I've found the opposite, PPP maxed at around 1.2kps for me (14.4k modem),
CSLIP gives me around 1.5kps.

I'd kill to get 1.7kps...  )c:

Be happy...

- Stormy the happinator     "The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ
                             Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
  Reply to:                  Shall lure it back to cancel half a line, 
  [email-masked]        Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it."

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Jason Haar)
Subject: Re: Virus checker software for Linux.
Date: 5 Sep 1994 13:03:31 GMT

David Holland ([email-masked]) wrote:

: Besides, a Linux virus could spread in binary form, as we all have the
: same binary format and machine architecture.

: However, there aren't (yet) any...

This is an interesting point.

From what I've seen Linux develop into - one area in which it differs 
radically from other Uni*es is in the way binary distributions of 
packages have proliferated.

Unlike most systems, we seem quite happy to taken binaries from other 
peoples systems and use them on ours - I'm a case in point. As the 
producer of the binary distribution of sendmail-8.6.9, there are now X 
systems out there running AS ROOT a binary that someone else compiled - 
how do they know I can be trusted ;-)

Frankly, this is why DOS viruses have spread so fast. Under DOS, hardly 
anyone had a compiler and/or experience on their systems to compile their 
own source-code of their favourite game/etc, so they took binaries 
instead. Here we are - all with access to a great compiler - but we would 
rather drop the hassle of compilation and use someone elses work.

With other Uni*es, they have usually been owned by companies/universities 
who have MONEY - and therefore had heaps of disk/resources to spare - so 
it's quite practical to compile all your own stuff. Try compiling 
XFree-2.2.1 on a 120Mb HDD :-) It just isn't practical to compile 
everything yourself on such "boutique" systems as most of us own.

Me, I'm happy to accept the risk, as we have seen with the likes of wuftp 
- you can't even trust source code these days...

--

Cheers,

Jason Haar

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Steve DuChene)
Subject: What is new nTeX package on sunsite?
Date: 5 Sep 1994 20:55:08 GMT

        I seen a fairly large (multiple files) package in the sunsite
        Incoming directory called ntex. Is this the new TeX distribution 
        for Linux? What are the advatages of upgrading if it is? Just curious!
-- 
| Steven A. DuChene   [email-masked]  or  [email-masked]      
| Youngstown State University  | Computer Science / Math / Mech. Eng.
|-------------------------------------------------------------------
|       Friends don't let friends do DOS

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Steve DuChene)
Subject: Re: Nachos anyone?
Date: 5 Sep 1994 21:10:11 GMT

        OK, I'l bite, what is Nachos?
-- 
| Steven A. DuChene   [email-masked]  or  [email-masked]      
| Youngstown State University  | Computer Science / Math / Mech. Eng.
|-------------------------------------------------------------------
|       Friends don't let friends do DOS

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (H.J. Lu)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Linux is a GNU system and the DWARF support
Date: 5 Sep 1994 22:04:13 GMT

I don't know if that is necessary. Since I started with Linux several
years ago, I always had a feeling that the FSF didn't really like Linux
very much. They wanted hurd instead. It looks like there was some
misunderstanding, at least on my part.

From what I see, Linux uses all the GNU packages, except for the kernel
but which is also covered by GNU GPL. Although there are almost no
GNU packages for the system administration stuff, the Linux system still
looks/feels pretty much like a GNU system. But somehow I felt the FSF
didn't want to have anything to do with Linux.

Today after I talked with RMS on the phone, I learned that the GNU project
is preparing for a Linux/GNU distribution based on the Debian distribution,
which is due in a few weeks. I think noone should call GNU is a vaporware
now since the Linux/GNU system is running on x86. I was told if Linux had
came along be fore hurd was started Linux would have been used as the GNU
kernel. Now since hurd is well on the way, it should not be aborted. It looks
like porting Linux to other platforms may pick up some steams as well as the
work on the Linux kernel. I am glad to see it finnally happen.

Also Linux/GNU is moving toward the ELF binary format. But the DWARF support
in gcc 2.x is still not there yet, especially C++. RMS likes to see anyone
can spend time on the DWARF support in gcc 2.x and do it right. If you
are interested, please send email to [email-masked]. For the time
being, we may use stabs-in-ELF.

H.J.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Super Dave?)
Subject: Proaudio Spectrum 16 help
Date: 5 Sep 1994 18:29:48 -0400
Reply-To: [email-masked] (Super Dave?)

I can't seem to get my PAS 16 to work with programs like Workman. How do I set
up this card so Linux apps can use it?

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Michael Will)
Subject: gcc 2.5.8 / g++ with -g does fail on XOpenDisplay( ) ?!
Date: 5 Sep 94 22:00:36 GMT

I have created a class XPlayer:Player which does try to open a window.
It uses XOpenDisplay( display_name ) for this, and segfaults. It seems
to try copying "esaster", which his part of my hostname "desaster" to a 
nullpointer. How can this happen? It only happens when I compiled it with
debug-flag: "-g". If I compile it with "-O2 -m486" optimizionflags instead,
it works?

Is this a bug in gcc 2.5.8 ?

Here is the code:

#include <X11/Xlib.h>
#include <X11/Xutil.h>

XPlayer::XPlayer(char *display_name, char *name, FigureClass *f) 
: Player(name, f) 
{
        // the following correctly outputs:
        // creating "player1" on display "unix:0.0"

        cout << "creating \"" << name << "\" on display \"" << display_name 
        <<"\"\n";
       // now I try to open the display.
        // At this point I get a sig11, Segmentation fault
        // trying to use function strncpy(s1=0x0, s2="esaster", n=8)
        // copying part of my hostname "desaster" into a Nullpointer...

  dpy = XOpenDisplay( display_name ); 
}

main() {
        FigureClass *f;
        char *display_name = "unix:0.0";

...
        
        XPlayer p(display_name, "player 1", f);
}

If you have any ideas to what I did wrong, please email me. I am desparate :)

Cheers, Michael Will

------------------------------

From: Michelle Murrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Best WWW server for linux
Date: 5 Sep 1994 23:17:20 GMT

I'm looking for the best WWW server that works well with Linux. NCSA
httpd has several versions, and I'm not sure which might be best. Any
suggestions and sources from those of you running a WWW server in a linux
box?

           Thanks.
               Michelle
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Michelle Murrain, Ph.D.           
School of Natural Science                    [email-masked]
Hampshire College,                            
[email-masked]
Amherst, MA 01002                    
(413) 582-5688  fax:(413) 582-5448                         
>>> URL: http://www.hampshire.edu/Hampshire/ns/Murrain.html <<<<
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.unix.misc,comp.os.linux.admin
From: [email-masked] (Ivan Parga)
Subject: Re: Monitoring TTY's ..
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 1994 23:01:54 GMT

Rob McKenzie (rpm@bcars601) wrote:
> [If this is the wrong group for this post please don't flame]

> I'm running a Linux box and would like to find out if there is software 
> that will allow me to monitor someone's tty.  We have had some problems 
> with people trying to break system security.. it would be nice to be able 
> to monitor and record the actions of these people live, while it happens.

> Any ideas?

I know that there is a software named "Peek & Spy" from Networking
Dynamics Corp... that software was developed for VAX/VMS at first,
but then was adapted for Unix, Software makes a spy over any tty,
of course you must be su to do that!...
The other way possible is TT-RECON from Software Partners/32, I think 
that software runs on Unix Systems...
I hope that be useful for you...

Ivan Parga
Unix System Administrator
Universidad de Santiago de Chile

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Christopher Wiles)
Subject: Re: What is /dev/mem?
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 1994 22:43:27 GMT

[email-masked] (andy harbick) writes:

: Is it the memory of my computer?  How does it work?  I ask because I had a
: program, sasteroids, that tried to call it and it said cannot open /dev/mem. 
: I don't have any other problems, but it sounded bad. Is it?

Nope.  It's a bug in either the way kernels >1.1.45 allocate memory, or 
the way sasteroids tries to allocate memory.  Pick one.

There was a patch posted on this group a couple of days ago that took 
care of the kernel side of the equation.  I don't think I saved it, 
though ...

.. and Harm (the author of svgalib) is aware of the problem on _his_ 
side.  New version out someday.

In a nutshell, don't sweat it.

-- Chris

[email-masked]   [email-masked]   [email-masked]
       "... but I want to use all eight comm ports SIMULTANEOUSLY!"
   PGP 2.6 public key available by finger for the clinically paranoid.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Dominic Fraser)
Subject: Re: 1542
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 1994 22:46:16 GMT

Due to some oddity, I am no longer receiving this newsgroup, so I can't 
know how many replies were sent here to my request.

To those of you who replied by email, thanks muchly. I am far better 
informed and will happily go out and purchase the 1542cf now.

Thanks again
-- 
[email-masked]        o                    | bibo, ergo sum       
Dominic Fraser @ 1:134/25      _ <\_   1(403)286-0216 |      -+-     
The Hideaway BBS, and pepper  (+)>(+)  Calgary CANADA |  carpe viam
                             ~~~~~~~~~

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.msdos.programmer
From: [email-masked] (Iolo Davidson)
Subject: Re: LILO + DOS boot record = disaster
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 1994 18:19:46 +0000

In article <[email-masked]>
           [email-masked] "Paul Quinn" writes:

> Try using a DOS boot disk and typing
>
> fdisk /mbr on hte dos partition
>
> Then use fdisk to remake the partition active.

The original poster made a point of saying it was *not* the MBR 
which was the problem, but the DOS boot sector. 

--

RIOT AT                          100 CUSTOMERS
       DRUG STORE                             99 JARS
                 CALLING ALL CARS                    Burma Shave

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Dan Pop)
Subject: Re: 486dx4 vs Pentium 60
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 1994 23:08:18 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Peter Hahn) writes:

>[email-masked] (Zach) writes:
>
>>Hi i'm looking to get a system to run Linux but was wondering if
>>someone could advise me on weather I should get a 486dx4/100 or a
>>Pentium 60. The 2 systems I am looking at cost almost exactly the same
>>but the 486 has a 520 mb SCSI hd while the pentium has a 420 ide.
>
>>Any thoughts?
>
>Two arguments apperare in mind: First, a Pentium-60 benchmarks at 61 SpecInt,
>a dx4-100 at 52 -- can't remember floating point exactly, but the difference
>is tendencially even bigger. Second the memory interface of the Pentium is
>much better than the 486 one. It is 64 Bit wide and knows of write back
>cache.
>
>  There are even more reasons, but this two would be sufficient for me.

You seem to ignore the fact that the performance of a Linux box does not
depend exclusively on the cpu speed. The hard disk performance is also
essential, and here the 486 box is at a clear advantage. The extra disk
space is a bonus, too. 

So, it's not going to be an easy choice :-)

Dan
--
Dan Pop 
CERN, CN Division
Email: [email-masked]
Mail:  CERN - PPE, Bat. 31 R-004, CH-1211 Geneve 23, Switzerland

------------------------------

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

The service address, to which questions about the list itself and requests
to be added to or deleted from it should be directed, is:

    Internet: [email-masked]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.misc) via:

    Internet: [email-masked]

Linux may be obtained via one of these FTP sites:
    nic.funet.fi				pub/OS/Linux
    tsx-11.mit.edu				pub/linux
    sunsite.unc.edu				pub/Linux

End of Linux-Misc Digest
******************************