Subject: Linux-Misc Digest #717
From: Digestifier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 94 18:13:26 EDT

Linux-Misc Digest #717, Volume #2                 Tue, 6 Sep 94 18:13:26 EDT

Contents:
  How to know if term is "active"? (pure evil is when flowers sing...)
  Re: Does Linux save boot msgs to a file (Gregory Wettstein)
  Re: Does Linux save boot msgs to a file (Andreas Helke)
  Re: gcc 2.6.x upgrade (Joe Buck)
  [Q] Colors in VGA16? (Johan Wideberg)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (pure evil is when flowers sing...)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: How to know if term is "active"?
Date: 6 Sep 1994 10:41:16 -0600

I'm wondering if there exists a utility which would let me determine if
an existing term connection is actually alive, and not crashed or hung,
as is often the case resulting from a less than perfect phone-line.  I
was thinking something along the lines of a program which would output
"socket is busy" or whatever.

I've already written a somewhat kludgy script to allow me to do this,
but it's very inefficient, and I *know* there has to be a better way.
The problem is this:  I can test the connection with a simple 'trsh cat
testfile'.  ('trsh echo ok' results in a broken pipe...)  This is not a
problem if the connection is alive.  The problem is when the connection
has dropped, since term is still running on the local machine, and when
a trsh or anything term-related is sent through the socket, the command
hangs.  So, the kludgy part is a background process started when the
'trsh cat testfile' is executed, which checks 30 seconds later to see if
the command has produced any output.  Yuck!  Suppose the connection *is*
alive, but the remote machine just happened to be lagged during the 30
seconds...  So you can see it's pretty icky.  :( The whole thing is
necessary since I want to be able to initialize a term connection if one
doesn't already exist whenever a user tries to run a term-specific
program.  Hmm...I suppose the remote machine could send a character
every few minutes, or an empty file, which a program could check the
last mod time...

So anyway, if anybody knows of a program which can quickly and
accurately determine if the connection is valid, it would be greatly
appreciated.

Side note:  Has anybody had problems with tredir in term 119?  Mine
            won't redirect *anything*.  I had no problem with term
            203's tredir...  But 203 just wasn't stable enough at
            the time... ;)

Side note ii:  Tin+term has given me a major headache, trying to compile
               the darn thing.  Mosaic, ftp, telnet, irc have all gone
               fine with only a few minor changes.  So here it is:  does
               anyone have a binary of a working tin using the term
               port/socket calls?  THAT would be greatly appreciated, as
               I have to read news on the remote machine in text mode....:(

Thanks for reading/skimming/scanning...

Erin
[email-masked]

"Gott hat sich erschossen ein, dachgeschoss wird ausgebaut..."
                                             -Einstuerzende Neubauten

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
From: [email-masked] (Gregory Wettstein)
Subject: Re: Does Linux save boot msgs to a file
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 1994 16:53:49 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Andy Wilks <[email-masked]> wrote:
>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says:
>
>\>Does Linux save the msgs it spews out at boot time, to a file ? These msgs
>\>whiz by so fast, it's practically impossible to note everything that's
>\>happening. Any info would be appreciated.
>
>Yes, you can view it with the dmesg program:
>
>dmesg
>
>or 
>
>dmesg | more

Or you can alternately use the klogd daemon in one-shot mode.  The end
of our rc.bcheck file looks something like this:

# Dump bootup messages for posterity.
/etc/klogd -o -f /usr/adm/boot.msg;

Note that on an FSSTND compliant system the klogd utility may be found
in /usr/sbin and the proper place for the message file may be in
/var/adm/boot.msg.

>-Andy

As always,
Dr. G.W. Wettstein
Oncology Research Division Computing Facility
Roger Maris Cancer Center
Fargo, ND  58122
e-mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Andreas Helke)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Does Linux save boot msgs to a file
Date: 6 Sep 1994 21:17:37 GMT

Gregory Wettstein ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]>,
: Andy Wilks <[email-masked]> wrote:
: >In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] says:
: >
: >\>Does Linux save the msgs it spews out at boot time, to a file ? These msgs
: >\>whiz by so fast, it's practically impossible to note everything that's
: >\>happening. Any info would be appreciated.
: >
: >Yes, you can view it with the dmesg program:
: >
: >dmesg
: >
: >or 
: >
: >dmesg | more

: Or you can alternately use the klogd daemon in one-shot mode.  The end
: of our rc.bcheck file looks something like this:

: # Dump bootup messages for posterity.
: /etc/klogd -o -f /usr/adm/boot.msg;

: Note that on an FSSTND compliant system the klogd utility may be found
: in /usr/sbin and the proper place for the message file may be in
: /var/adm/boot.msg.

Most linux distributions are already configured to write the boot messages
to /var/adm/syslog.

Andreas
--

Andreas Helke

Institut fuer molekulare Genetik, Universitaet Heidelberg
Im Neuenheimer Feld 230 
69122 Heidelberg, Germany

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Joe Buck)
Subject: Re: gcc 2.6.x upgrade
Date: 6 Sep 1994 21:26:41 GMT

[email-masked] (Nicholas J. Leon) writes:
>I was wondering if anyone could mention when (if its not already
>available) a version of GCC will be available that provides Pentium
>optimizations. Since I just loaded Linux on my new p5-90, I would love to
>see the speed increase when a pent. specific compiler.

While Intel did a port of gcc-2.4.0 to add Pentium optimizations, they did
a really poor job of it, violating the front-end/back-end boundary,
putting things in the wrong places, writing the code in a sloppy way: the
effect is that all of their changes need to be rewritten.

This is being worked on, but the FSF has a consistent answer when asked
questions about when something will be ready: when it's ready.

The Intel port of 2.4.0 is available in the meantime, though no one is
supporting it (at Intel or FSF).

-- 
-- Joe Buck     <[email-masked]>
Posting from but not speaking for Synopsys, Inc.
***** Stamp out junk e-mail spamming!  If someone sends you a junk e-mail
***** ad just because you posted in comp.foo, boycott their company.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Johan Wideberg)
Subject: [Q] Colors in VGA16?
Date: 5 Sep 1994 10:48:48 +0200

I would like to know how to find the names of the colors that are defined
by the XVGA16 generic driver. Is there any way of substituting colors 
defined by a application so it matches with my generic driver.

Many thanks in advance 

Johan
[email-masked]

------------------------------

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

The service address, to which questions about the list itself and requests
to be added to or deleted from it should be directed, is:

    Internet: [email-masked]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.misc) via:

    Internet: [email-masked]

Linux may be obtained via one of these FTP sites:
    nic.funet.fi				pub/OS/Linux
    tsx-11.mit.edu				pub/linux
    sunsite.unc.edu				pub/Linux

End of Linux-Misc Digest
******************************