Subject: Linux-Misc Digest #791
From: Digestifier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 94 17:13:30 EDT

Linux-Misc Digest #791, Volume #2                Tue, 20 Sep 94 17:13:30 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux, 40,000 Cover CD's (David Parkinson)
  Re: How to use a host as a router - READ THIS (Alan Cox)
  Re: What is a BogoMIP? (Greg J. Pryzby)
  Re: Is Linux faster than Os/2? Please help. (Rainer Dorsch)
  Re: AHA1542 Problems (joerg)
  Re: Linux, 40,000 Cover CD's (A.P. Crossan)
  Re: Linux is a GNU system and the DWARF support (Michael I Bushnell)
  Re: Linux is a GNU system and the DWARF support (Michael I Bushnell)
  Re: Linux, 40,000 Cover CD's (A.P. Crossan)
  Re: QUESTION: FAX software for Linux/X11? (Rainer Dorsch)
  Re: Dos, OS/2 and Linux? (Rainer Dorsch)
  who is the maintainer of the lpd package (Peter Brouwer)
  Re: Copyright and licensing - a plea to software authors (Alan L. Cassel)
  Re: Linux, 40,000 Cover CD's (A.P. Crossan)
  Re: PLIP config problem....Crynwr Drivers (J.J. Paijmans)
  Re: Time Screws up w/ Linux (Raul Deluth Miller)
  mosaic for term and termtelnet-need help... (Kenneth H. Gantz)
  Re: Contrib. $s for Linux Dev (J.J. Paijmans)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (David Parkinson)
Subject: Re: Linux, 40,000 Cover CD's
Date: 20 Sep 1994 12:32:07 GMT

A.P. Crossan ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Anders Hedborg ([email-masked]) wrote:

: > When is it supposed to be on the shelves? And what issue should I
: > ask for?

: I mailed lasermoon this question, but I'm still waiting a reply.

: The latest edition of PC-PLUS states that they are changing the publication
: date. The November copy will not appear until 1st of that month -- quite a
: wait :-(

: Adrian

It was on the shelves in W H Smiths in Ipswich at the end of last week.

David

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.admin
From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Subject: Re: How to use a host as a router - READ THIS
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 1994 11:48:51 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>NB, I'm not using the "normal" Linux networking code right now, so part of
>the above may not be entirely correct in practice. To the best of my
>knowledge, however, it is correct in principle, as demonstrated by the box
>I'm using right now (15 virtual ISDN interfaces, one Ethernet, and all use
>the same local address).

It is completely correct. In fact the Linux NET3 code from about 1.1.45 up
is fractionally more efficient this way as it tests for the packet being
to the ip address of the device before doing a search of the devices to
find out if its local.

Alan

-- 
  ..-----------,,----------------------------,,----------------------------,,
 // Alan Cox  //  [email-masked]   //  GW4PTS@GB7SWN.#45.GBR.EU  //
 ``----------'`----------------------------'`----------------------------''

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Greg J. Pryzby)
Subject: Re: What is a BogoMIP?
Date: 20 Sep 1994 12:45:54 GMT

Grant Edwards ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Jake Colman ([email-masked]) wrote:
: : H. Peter Anvin ([email-masked]) wrote:

: : : It's one MIPS - two MIPS.  Anyway.  The BogoMIPS number is a
: : : measurement of how fast your machine does absolutely nothing.

: [ROTFL!]

: : So what is its relevance?

: When the kernel wants to delay for a very small but accurate period of
: time it uses the BogoMIPS number to figure out exactly how much
: nothing to do.

: That "nothing" is a particular timing loop.  The BogoMIPS number is
: displayed during boot so that you can tell if cache and clock are
: configured properly.  Somebody somewhere compiled a list of the
: BogoMIPS numbers for various CPU/clock/cache combinations.  If your
: machine shows a BogoMIPS number fairly close to others with the same
: hardware, then you've probably got things configured correctly.

So the question is where is this file? ;^)

: --
: Grant Edwards                                 |Yow!  I think I'll KILL
: Rosemount Inc.                                |myself by leaping out of this
:                                               |14th STOREY WINDOW while
: [email-masked]                          |reading ERICA JONG'S
:                                               |poetry!!

--
gregory j pryzby                                          [email-masked]

herbivores ate well because their food did never run

Keep Disney out of Virginia and the history business!

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Rainer Dorsch)
Subject: Re: Is Linux faster than Os/2? Please help.
Date: 20 Sep 1994 13:02:35 GMT

Alan Cox ([email-masked]) wrote:

....

: 12Mb is more than enough for Linux anyway.

I'm wondering. If I'm running X (fvwm), Emacs with auctex, and  Latex, 
compiling a large document, top says that 8meg ram and 4 (of 12) meg swap is
used. It is not possible to use Xfig at the same time in a reasonable way. 

Have I configured something wrong? 

--
Rainer Dorsch

===============================================================================
| University of Ulm                                                           |
| E-mail:     [email-masked]                                |
| Snail-mail: Sebastian-Kneipp-Weg 8/D115, 89075 Ulm                          |
===============================================================================

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (joerg)
Subject: Re: AHA1542 Problems
Date: 19 Sep 94 22:45:56 GMT

Stephan Duhl ([email-masked]) wrote:
>-- 
>Hi all,

>i have a adaptec 1542 CF at adress 0x330. Now i have get a soundcard
>(spea media fx), which want that adress too. Any attempt to change the
>adress of aha 1542 to 0x2XX or 0x1XX doesn't work. DOS runs as normal, but
>linux doesn't boot any more!

Read your kernel before switching any jumpers! In linux/drivers/scsi/aha1542.c
there is a note that only 0x330 and 0x334 are tested (kernel 1.1.33). So try
0x334. If this is not possible due to another card sitting there, you have
to change aha1242.c and make a new kernel.

good luck
        Joerg
===============================================================================
Joerg Ahrens                                              _/           
Koenigsberger Strasse 32                                _/_/
31226 Peine                                           _/  _/
Tel.: 05171/57308                             _/    _/_/_/_/
e-mail: [email-masked]                _/_/_/_/      _/
===============================================================================

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (A.P. Crossan)
Subject: Re: Linux, 40,000 Cover CD's
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 11:35:49 GMT

Anders Hedborg ([email-masked]) wrote:

> When is it supposed to be on the shelves? And what issue should I
> ask for?

I mailed lasermoon this question, but I'm still waiting a reply.

The latest edition of PC-PLUS states that they are changing the publication
date. The November copy will not appear until 1st of that month -- quite a
wait :-(

Adrian

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Michael I Bushnell)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Linux is a GNU system and the DWARF support
Date: 20 Sep 1994 16:25:39 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Tim Smith) writes:

   Michael I Bushnell <[email-masked]> wrote:
   >In the United States, the anwser is that there is apparently no
   >problem, because the BSD credit requirement is not thought to be
   >legally enforceable by most attorneys.  However, this is possibly not

   Why would it not be enforceable?

I don't know the specific reasons; perhaps someone else could explain.
It also might only apply in the US, so it's either a question of
public policy or perhaps a first amendment restriction.

--
+1 617 623 3248 (H)         |           En arche en ho logos, 
+1 617 253 8568 (W)        -+-            kai ho logos en pros ton theon,
1105 Broadway               |             kai theos en ho logos.
Somerville, MA 02144        |           Kai ho logos sarx egeneto,
[email-masked]          |             kai eskenosen en hemin.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Michael I Bushnell)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Linux is a GNU system and the DWARF support
Date: 20 Sep 1994 16:30:46 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Nate Williams) writes:

   In many articles people have said that "many lawyers consider portions
   of the GPL/LGPL unenforceable', and you counter with "Obviously, the FSF
   lawyers and others have not seen fit to test it's legality out, so it
   must be enforceable, yet in this article you present the claim the same
   accusations on the BSD copyright, which was developed by lawyers of
   Berkeley and the X Consortium.  By stating that you don't believe it to
   be enforceable, you are (IMHO) invalidating your defense of the GPL.

   If that offense/defense of the GPL/BSD copyright is invalid in one case,
   then it must be invalid in all cases if the situation is similar, which
   I believe it is.  Both groups hired lawyers to setup the clause, and the
   BSD copyright was 'sort-of' tested in the counter-suit filed by UCB against
   USL in the recent BSDI-USL copyright suit.  UCB's suit was that USL did not
   give BSD due credit where the licensing scheme required it.

   All I ask for is consistancy in your defense and accusations.

I'm sorry.  It's not the general idea of attaching conditions like
this to the copyright.  It's very specifically the "give credit in all
advertisement" clause.  This one clause is probably unenforceable,
according to the FSF's (and AT&T's, as it happens) lawyers.  

If a license said "this software may not be distributed to blacks",
that would be an unenforceable clause (on the grounds that it is
contrary to public policy) but not because attaching conditions is
bad--just because the of the specific condition.  

I don't know if public policy is the reason the credit requirement is
believed to be unenforceable; I just bring this up to explain that the
offense is not the manner in which the thing is done, but the nature
of the thing that is done.

As for UCB's suit, notice that they didn't win: under the consent
decree AT&T voluntarily agreed to give credit, but there was no hint
of a finding that they had to.

--
+1 617 623 3248 (H)         |           En arche en ho logos, 
+1 617 253 8568 (W)        -+-            kai ho logos en pros ton theon,
1105 Broadway               |             kai theos en ho logos.
Somerville, MA 02144        |           Kai ho logos sarx egeneto,
[email-masked]          |             kai eskenosen en hemin.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (A.P. Crossan)
Subject: Re: Linux, 40,000 Cover CD's
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 1994 13:09:16 GMT

David Parkinson ([email-masked]) wrote:

> It was on the shelves in W H Smiths in Ipswich at the end of last week.

I apologise for my misinformation -- I know have a copy! I was confused by
the fact that the original lasermoon announcement mentioned editorial
coverage, which I could not find when browsing in Smiths. In fact I still
can't find it now!

Adrian.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Rainer Dorsch)
Crossposted-To: comp.dcom.fax
Subject: Re: QUESTION: FAX software for Linux/X11?
Date: 20 Sep 1994 12:50:08 GMT

Evan A. Reidell ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I have both Class 1 and Class 2 FAXmodems...
: and I can use GhostScript to generate large TIFFs,
: (question: is 'fine' FAX resolution exactly 196x204 dpi?)
: and Linux/X11 on a PC can talk to the modem port (I'm using Seyon right now)

: so: is there any FAXmodem software out there for Linux?  And how do I find it?

: UNIX REVIEW Nov92 pp63-76 has reviews of ArnetFAX, DigiFax, Faximum,
: FaxLink, FaxTrax and VSI-Fax, but I bet they're all very expensive...

: If anyone can recommend the best way to send FAXes from a LinuxPC,
: please send me email!  

I'm using efax, its fine for sending postscript faxes, and receiving
faxes. But you need a package to convert the received g3-Format to 
pbm, tiff or whatever you want (e.g. pbmplus).

Mgetty+Sendfax is used by many people.

--
Rainer Dorsch

===============================================================================
| University of Ulm                                                           |
| E-mail:     [email-masked]                                |
| Snail-mail: Sebastian-Kneipp-Weg 8/D115, 89075 Ulm                          |
===============================================================================

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Rainer Dorsch)
Subject: Re: Dos, OS/2 and Linux?
Date: 20 Sep 1994 12:51:40 GMT

Raymond Ho ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I have Dos 6.22 installed on my first harddisk, OS/2 for Windows installed
: on the first partition of my second harddisk, I have a second partition
: that is open on my second harddisk.  Is it possible to load Linux there? 
: Can I use the OS/2 Boot Manager to control the booting?
Yes.

--

--
Rainer Dorsch

===============================================================================
| University of Ulm                                                           |
| E-mail:     [email-masked]                                |
| Snail-mail: Sebastian-Kneipp-Weg 8/D115, 89075 Ulm                          |
===============================================================================

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Peter Brouwer)
Subject: who is the maintainer of the lpd package
Date: 20 Sep 94 13:12:47 GMT
Reply-To: [email-masked] (Peter Brouwer)

Who can point me to the maintainer of the lpd package.
I am having problems in adding the ctsrts flag in the printcap file.
As the bit of that option is on the MSB of a int ( and long in 32 bits system )
I suspect that the printcap value is stored in a signed int causing it to fail
when passing it to the termio structure.

--
Regards, Peter Brouwer                 \\\//
[email-masked]                         (0 0)
===================================oOO==(_)==OOo============================
# Digital Equipment B.V.               / WorkGroup Systems, 
# DIGITAL : HLDEO1::BROUWER_P,829-4218 \ Dep LinkWorks Engineering, P.O.Box 245,
# PHONE:[+31][0]55 43 ext 4218,fax 9133  7300AE Apeldoorn, The Netherlands.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Alan L. Cassel)
Subject: Re: Copyright and licensing - a plea to software authors
Date: 18 Sep 1994 21:07:06 -0700

Jeff Kesselman ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I'm a little confused here, help me out. As an honest-to-goodness, real, 
: live ex-programmer turned intellectual property attorney you aught ot be 
: aware that the above is somewhat non-sensical.

: One does not 'write' a copyright. A copyright is the right to copy 
: automaticly granted at the time a work is created.  One MAY write a 
: liscense, or some other contract, that grants some rigths to others, but 
: thsi is a contract, not a copyright.

You are correct to distinguish "copyright" and "license."  But rather 
than use your definitions, I would prefer to say that a 
copyright is a form of protection applicable to certain types of subject 
matter that provides the owner of the copyright of a protected work with 
certain exclusive rights with respect to that work, subject to certain 
limitions.  And a license (in the sense applicable here) is a grant of 
authority from the copyright owner concerning the protected work 
and authorizing someone else to do something with the protected work that 
would otherwise be exclusively the right of the copyright owner to do.

However, as the smiley in my article indicated, my comment was directed 
to the remark that programmers should not be trying to draft their own 
agreements without help.

: There is already too much confusion about this fundamentally basic and 
: simple concept.  Lets try not to add to it by endorsing incorrect statements.

The fact that my article was in reply to a confused remark about 
copyright law simply adds to the sense of irony.   :-)

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (A.P. Crossan)
Subject: Re: Linux, 40,000 Cover CD's
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 1994 08:33:07 GMT

A.P. Crossan ([email-masked]) wrote:
> Anders Hedborg ([email-masked]) wrote:

> > When is it supposed to be on the shelves? And what issue should I
> > ask for?

> I mailed lasermoon this question, but I'm still waiting a reply.

I've just had a reply -- the answer is October. 

Adrian

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (J.J. Paijmans)
Subject: Re: PLIP config problem....Crynwr Drivers
Date: 20 Sep 1994 08:22:59 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Christopher L Francis) writes:
>I apologize in advance for posting something off-topic, but....
>I am attempting to set up a PLIP connection between my Linux box
>and a 286.  I got a good cable (2 actually) which conforms to the 
>specs, have got my Linux box configured and rebuild the kernel.  
>However, on the DOS (ugh!) box, I am attempting to use the Crynwr
>plip driver on irq 5, soft io addr 0x7e, hardware io addr 0x278,
>ethernet id 31:32:37:2e:31:2e.  Each type I try to ping my linux box,
>i get "cannot resolve host's hardware address".  Any suggestions or
>places to refer me to?
>
>And before someone shouts "RTFM, buddy!", I have spent all day RTFMing
>and looking for TFMs to R.
>

Chris, be sure to post your findings. I have exactly the same problem
using two old Tricomp cards. The Crynwr-driver (3C503.com) has been
installed on about all thinkable interrupts, but when I ping
the other machine (using Waterloo stuff) it gives excactly the same
message.
Both machines work fine when DOS<->DOS or Unix<->Unix.

And yes, I too did R the FM's. I even tried to F the RM's.

Paai.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Raul Deluth Miller)
Subject: Re: Time Screws up w/ Linux
Date: 20 Sep 1994 15:36:23 -0400

Peter Moulder:
. b) set your CMOS clock to the correct UTC (~= GMT).

Does anybody have the complete scoop on how to do this under Linux?
I've tried to follow what I thought were directions to do this, but
have failed several times.  Also, it's a pain to do (I have to kill
cron so the system is usable after I fix the time).

Thanks,

Raul D. Miller           n =: p*q             NB. 9<##:##:n [.large prime p, q
<[email-masked]>  y =: n&|&(*&x)^:e 1  NB. -.1 e.e e.&factors<:p,q [.e<n
                         NB.  public e, n, y
                         x -: n&|&(*&y)^:d 1  NB. 1=(d*e)+.p*&<:q

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Kenneth H. Gantz)
Subject: mosaic for term and termtelnet-need help...
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 04:21:26 GMT

O.K. I've got Mosaic for term cooking right along. I also have termtelnet
(the reason I got termtelnet is because whenever I would click on
a telnet icon in mosaic, it would bring up a window that said couldn't 
find termtelnet.) and I can telnet perfectly well from an xterm on my
local computer, through the term link to the remote computer and out.
My question is, how do I get Mosaic to call termtelnet when I click
on a telnet icon? When I do this, I get the outline of an xterm window
(I guess... It goes away before it materializes all the way) but the
window never materializes all the way. I put the following in my .Xdefaults
file:  xtermCommand /usr/local/bin/termtelnet because the Mosaic help for
XMosaic suggested it. What am I doing wrong here?
-- 
Ken Gantz
[email-masked]
Work - 502.329.3724         IT IS NOT A PROBLEM OF WHETHER MACHINES THINK,
FAX - 502.329.6199          BUT WHETHER MEN DO. - B.F. Skinner

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (J.J. Paijmans)
Subject: Re: Contrib. $s for Linux Dev
Date: 20 Sep 1994 08:36:46 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Ralph Hockens) writes:
...
>
>Question is, where ought one contribute money to best support the ongoing 
>development of Linux and Linux-related software, documentation, and the like?
>
>       -Ralph

A friend of mine and I wrote a book on Linux (to appear soon). We felt
about the same as you.  Therefore we donate a dollar of every copy
sold to the free software foundation as Linus Thorwaldsen (however
important in the scheme of (linux)things) is only one of the many
people who do so much effort in writing good software and give it
away.

As for the Great Linus himself: we have to decide yet what to do and how,
but I think dutch or belgian beer will be involved somewhere.

Paai.

------------------------------

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

The service address, to which questions about the list itself and requests
to be added to or deleted from it should be directed, is:

    Internet: [email-masked]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.misc) via:

    Internet: [email-masked]

Linux may be obtained via one of these FTP sites:
    nic.funet.fi				pub/OS/Linux
    tsx-11.mit.edu				pub/linux
    sunsite.unc.edu				pub/Linux

End of Linux-Misc Digest
******************************