Subject: Linux-Misc Digest #835
From: Digestifier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 94 00:13:10 EDT

Linux-Misc Digest #835, Volume #2                Wed, 28 Sep 94 00:13:10 EDT

Contents:
  Maple V for Linux (Steve Weibel)
  Re: Linux & Netware. (David W Bellizzi)
  Application oriented languages, Was: Why you should not use Tcl (Paul Budnik)
  Re: Summary: SCSI and IDE working together (MS-DOS/Win & Linux) (Jeff Kesselman)
  SCO WordPerfect: does it run on Linux? (Jeff Arnholt)
  Linux & IBM Thinkpad 500? (Phillip Burgess)
  Re: Beers for Linus (was: Contrib. $s for Linux Dev) (Drew Eckhardt)
  Commercial software for Linux (Miguel A. Rozsas)
  Re: Maple V for Linux (Ross Niebergall)
  Re: Maple V for linux! (Ralph T. Muehleisen)
  Re: Beers for Linus (was: Contrib. $s for Linux Dev) (Mats 'MaDsen' Wikholm)
  Re: LILO (Rutger van de GeVEL)
  Re: Emacs & latex for thesis (Jeffrey  Nipp)
  pkzip for dos? ([email-masked])
  16 Port Board: Which model and where?? (Bart Kindt)
  Re: Is Linux faster than Os/2? Please help. (Robert Ashcroft)
  Re: Time Screws up w/ Linux (Kamal Shaker)
  Re: Beers for Linus (was: Contrib. $s for Linux Dev) (Craig S. Maloney)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Steve Weibel)
Subject: Maple V for Linux
Date: 27 Sep 1994 17:04:16 GMT

For those of you interested, this is what I found out about Maple V for
Linux.  Egads - $595(US)...

=======================================================================

Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Sep 1994 08:18:44 -0500
From: "Stefanie Dietrich" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: FWD>Maple for Linux
To: "Steve Weibel" <[email-masked]>
X-Mailer: Mail*Link SMTP/QM 3.0.0
Status: R

 Waterloo Maple Software         RE>FWD>Maple for Linux

Dear Steve,

****************************************************************
                     Maple V Release 3 and Linux
****************************************************************
Thank you for your message indicating your interest in Maple for Linux.
Waterloo Maple Software has recently completed a port to the Linux operating
system and the product is now available for shipping.

Maple was compiled under Linux kernel 1.0. Disk space use is standard 
for a UNIX port: 30 MB.  If the user is running X and xmaple, then 8 MB 
of RAM are essential. 

The academic price for a single copy of Linux is $595.00 (US)

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us.

    |\^/|      Waterloo Maple Software
._|\|   |/|_.        450 Phillip Street
 \  MAPLE  /     Waterloo, Ontario
 <____ ____>   CANADA  N2L 5J2
      |        Tel:       (519) 747-2373             
               Fax:       (519) 747-5284             
               E-mail: [email-masked]
*******************************************************************

======================================
Date: 9/26/94 09:16 AM
To: Stefanie Dietrich
From: Info general

======================================

=======================================================================

I don't know...  When I can pick up a student version of Mathematica for
Windows at the bookstore for $160, I'm tempted to keep my DOS partition.

Steve Weibel

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (David W Bellizzi)
Subject: Re: Linux & Netware.
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 94 09:59:42 -0800

I was reading in the NET2 HOWTO that someone has a 
package out for connecting DOS workstations to Linux
/Unix workstation/servers.  It was call something 
like Sams Own Server System (SOSS).  I however use
Novells LanWorkplace for DOS/Windows which works
great.  This package lets you telnet/ftp in DOS or 
Windows and also comes with a host of other utils
like rsh.  One of the coolest apps it gives you 
is a Windows drag and drop ftp.  To get to Netware
from my Linux system I run a small Windows background
FTP server which lets me FTP from my Linux system and
see all the attached drives of my Windows system.  Lan
Workplace is buck though..around $300 per node. Hopes this
helps out

-DB-

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Paul Budnik)
Crossposted-To: comp.dsp,comp.lang.c++,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Application oriented languages, Was: Why you should not use Tcl
Date: 27 Sep 1994 12:32:57 -0700

Paul Alexander ([email-masked]) writes:
[...]
: I am a fairly late convert to the
: strengths of multi-language programming in a single application, but
: now converted I would never go back to my old ways.  It is essential to
: remember that most people using computers are not programmers at all; this
: is now true even in a physics lab and has been brought about by the excellence
: of special purpose languages (mostly now Maple and Mathematica!!).  I write
: applications for this audience and they demand applications which have
: an easy to learn extension language.  Tcl is ideal for this, its simplicity
: of syntax (it IS for non-programmers who have never seen C!) makes it very
: popular among USERS.

C++ provides an interesting way to address this. The language is internally
extensible. Thus one can define a matrix class and define the standard
operators: +, -, * etc to be the standard operations on matrices. That
is the approach I adopted in ObjectProDSP. Rather than create a new
language for defining Digital Signal Processing (DSP) networks I used the
internal extension capabilities of C++.

This approach does not force one to use a compiler. I wrote an interpreter
for a fragment of C++ that allows one to use this language interactively.
Then I provided facilities for creating and editing networks using menus
and the mouse. These actions generate statements in this DSP language
and those statements are interpreted interactively to create DSP nodes
and edit them into a network. A user can start with only knowing about
menus and which mouse buttons to click to edit a network. This is all
she needs to fully use my tool. If she wants she can quickly
come to understand the DSP language statements that are generated (and
can be displayed) when she edits a DSP network graphically. In many cases
it can be quicker to write this code directly rather then play with
the mouse and menus. This code no matter how it is created and no
matter how little the user knows about C++ is syntactically correct
C++ code.

With this approach I have defined an application oriented language that is
easy and natural for people working in DSP to understand and use. Because
it is done in the framework of C++ it can be extended to support anything
that can be supported in C++. If you start with a lesser framework you are
almost certainly going to adopt syntax conventions that sooner or later will
come to haunt you and limit the extensibility of your language.

Of course C++ is not an ideal language and Richard Stallman is critical
of its syntax just as he is critical of Tcl. Bjare Stoustup made a deliberate
decision in designing C++ to maintain nearly complete upward compatibility
with C. The result is a syntax that is not ideal but has been of enormous
practical value.

C++ may not be the perfect foundation for application oriented languages
but it is the best practical foundation we have today. It is a foundation
that allows the language to grow indefinitely and still maintain a reasonably
clean structure. This is an essential element if a language is to grow over
time to include more applications and more sophisticated operations in
the applications it addresses.

The architecture of ObjectProDSP and ObjectPro++ were designed to support
such indefinite extensibility. The challenge is not to provide a language
that addresses a single application area but to provide a framework for
integrating many application areas so they work together. We need to do
this in a way that each application has a language that is natural and
intuitive for those working in that area. That is the problem I was
addressing and why I choose C++ as a foundation for my application language.

Paul Budnik

ObjectProDSP and ObjectPro++ are available at:
tsx-11.mit.edu directory /pub/linux/packages/dsp
SunSITE.unc.edu directory /pub/Linux/devel/opd
ftp.funet.fi directory /pub/OS/Linux/util/electronics/opd
Please use the mirror site nearest you.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.periphs.scsi
From: [email-masked] (Jeff Kesselman)
Subject: Re: Summary: SCSI and IDE working together (MS-DOS/Win & Linux)
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 1994 07:46:20 GMT

I think I'm 130B user mentioned.  I just wanted to note that this was an 
issue with the ncr5380 driver, NOT with combining the SCSI with the IDE.  
That combination in general should add no more complexities beyond your 
making sure that you don't conflict addresses or IRQs (I'm runnign the 
130B IRQ-less, so its a non-issue for me...)

Jeff Kesselman

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Jeff Arnholt)
Subject: SCO WordPerfect: does it run on Linux?
Date: 24 Sep 1994 20:27:53 GMT
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I use WP at work on a SparcStation.  I use WP under Windows
at home.  WP is the only utility I'm missing from my
Linux arsenal.  Questions: does it run under Linux?  What problems
have people encountered?  Would anybody recommend it?

I should sadly note that the Windows version is much faster
than the SparcStation (the Sun having >3x mips), but of course not as
reliable.  I'd guess that SCO WP is like molasses.

I'd appreciate any comments, preferably mail ([email-masked])

Many thanks.

---
   
Jeff Arnholt: mail [email-masked]   
Mayo Medical and Graduate Schools        
200 1st St. SW, Rochester, MN 55905

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Phillip Burgess)
Subject: Linux & IBM Thinkpad 500?
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 1994 07:59:50 GMT

Many thanks to all who sent me mail regarding my earlier query regarding
Linux and subnotebook machines in general.  I've pretty much narrowed my
choices to two machines (based mostly on budget):  The Toshiba T3400 and
the IBM Thinkpad 500.

The Toshiba does look good.  I've seen it for about $1050 (or $900 for a
refurbished unit), it seems peppy & has a good warranty, and most importatly
I've heard from someone who is running Linux on it already, so I know that
part works.

I've seen the Thinkpad 500 for around $1000 ($800 used) in a 4MB/170MB
configuration.  The cheaper price and extra 50 megs of HD are nice (as is
the angular black case), but I have not been able to find one of these
machines in person, and I haven't heard from anyone running Linux on this
specific Thinkpad model (though the Installation HOWTO does mention
Thinkpads in general).  I'm mainly concerned with the screen controls, which
are buttons rather than sliders, and might be under the influence of software.

If you've seen or used Linux on this machine, or just have some more general
data you'd be willing to share, e-mail would be infinitely appreciated.

-- 
    Phillip Burgess ([email-masked])                            >belch<

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Drew Eckhardt)
Subject: Re: Beers for Linus (was: Contrib. $s for Linux Dev)
Date: 27 Sep 1994 17:12:03 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, J.J. Paijmans <[email-masked]> wrote:
>In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Drew Eckhardt) writes:
>>
>>For light beers, I'd have to go with Sierra Nevada Pale,
>>the Walnut Brewery's Buffalo Gold Ale, or Breckenridge Brewery's
>>India Pale Ale.
>
>Are those the pilsener type beers? (Lager, I think in Anglo Saxon
>speech).

Nope, they're all ales (albeit pale ones).

-- 
Since our leaders won't respect The Constitution, the highest law of our 
country, you can't expect them to obey lesser laws of any country. 
Boycott the United States until this changes.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Miguel A. Rozsas)
Subject: Commercial software for Linux
Date: 27 Sep 1994 11:06:42 -0500

Hi !

        I would like to know about commercial software for Linux.

        I am looking for a SQL Database Manager and a COBOL compiler. Exists in PDS and proprietary solution ? Anyone can point me a anonymous ftp address that have Linux software ?

        Thanks a lot,

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Ross Niebergall)
Subject: Re: Maple V for Linux
Date: 27 Sep 1994 13:21:34 -0700

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Steve Weibel) writes:
>
>
>I don't know...  When I can pick up a student version of Mathematica for
>Windows at the bookstore for $160, I'm tempted to keep my DOS partition.
>

The student version of Maple for Windows is generally available
for CDN$100.

You should note that the price that was quoted for Maple for Linux
was not the student version.

Ross

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Ralph T. Muehleisen)
Subject: Re: Maple V for linux!
Date: 27 Sep 1994 20:36:13 GMT

This is the message I got from maplesoft about Maple V pricing

RE>Price and availability of Maple for Linux

Maple V for the Linux System became available August 31, 1994.  The cost of
Maple V is $795.00 (US).  Academic discount is $595.00 (US).

Linux Requirements:

Maple was complied under Linix kernel 1.0. Disk space use is standard 
for a UNIX port: 30 MB.  If the user is running X and xmaple, then 8 MB 
of RAM are essential. 

Sincerely yours,

               Tim Brown, Account Manager
               Waterloo Maple Software
    |\^/|      450 Phillip Street
._|\|   |/|_.  Waterloo, Ontario
 \  MAPLE  /   CANADA  N2L 5J2
 <____ ____>   Tel:   (519) 747-2373
      |               1-800-267-6583 (North America)
               Fax:   (519) 747-5284         
               Email: [email-masked]

---

        Ralph Muehleisen
Graduate Student in the Graduate Program in Acoustics at Penn State

Just learnin' to quiet down ducts...

It's a bird!  It's a plane!  It's a (quack) ... duct! 

=============================================== 
Ralph Muehleisen ([email-masked])
phone (814-865-0422)
fax (814-865-3119)
===============================================

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Mats 'MaDsen' Wikholm)
Subject: Re: Beers for Linus (was: Contrib. $s for Linux Dev)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 1994 20:25:37 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (J.J. Paijmans) writes:
>Aside from all that: does anybody know what is involved in getting
>bottles with beer to Finland? I understand that the customs over there
>put so much tax on it that you'd better invite him over to Holland.
>Still I'd want to make a gesture.

 You might   try  sending it  with the   contents described  as 'dirty
underwear' or something like that, then they wont  open the package in
customs. Be  sure to wrap  the bottles  up  in something so that  they
don't make any sound (or break) when the package is rattled... :)

>(One of the obvious things to work on is electronic transmission
>of bottles & alcoholic contents by internet)

 If you manage this, let me know, cause I'd like to download pizza! (I
know there's already the  Pizza Hut WWW but  they dont deliver to Åbo,
Finland :-( )

-- 
 . . . .  [email-masked]   /   frantzgatan 3 E 25
  . . .  @358.(9)21.377.363    /   20380 åbo  finland
   . .  Linux, the way to get rid of boot viruses  
    .  <a href="http://at8.abo.fi/~mwikholm">my homepage</a> 

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Rutger van de GeVEL)
Subject: Re: LILO
Date: 27 Sep 1994 10:56:04 GMT
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Tom Barringer ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Chris Burnette)
: writes:
: |> 
: |> Anyone know of a way to make LILO boot up DOS on default instead of
: |> Linux?

: Edit your /etc/lilo.conf file.
: The file contains 3-line descriptions of each bootable partition.
: (Lines starting with a hash mark '#' are comments.)
: The partition listed first is the one which will boot by default.

I remember that some old version of lilo had a feature that the last
booted operating system would continue to boot until a different OS was
selected. The new version of lilo doesn't seem to have this feature any
more. I liked this feature, and I would like to use it again: any ideas
anyone?

--
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| "Hey Worf, have you eaten any good books lately?" - Q in "Deja Q" ST:TNG |
| MIME Messages are welcome -- PGP Public Key available via PGP Servers -- |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Jeffrey  Nipp)
Subject: Re: Emacs & latex for thesis
Date: 27 Sep 1994 17:32:33 GMT

Ok, so what have we learned here?  The software package you are used to 
is the best package for doing productive work, as long as it can handle 
the task at hand.  Simple enough. 

TTFN

JKN

------------------------------

From: [email-masked]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: pkzip for dos?
Date: 27 Sep 1994 15:57:05 -0500

Hi All, 

Does Linux have a utility to pkunzip DOS .zip files?  If yes, would
you tell what site it is on?  

Thank you.

[email-masked]

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.admin
From: [email-masked] (Bart Kindt)
Subject: 16 Port Board: Which model and where??
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 1994 16:29:01 GMT

Hi! I have to set up a 16 port Dial-In terminal server. For this, I need a 
Linux compatible 16 (serial) Port PC board.  I have read about boards with the 
name BOCA, but is this the only one I can use?

And more important, where can I buy one, as cheap as possible? I am in New 
Zealand, and they are *not* available here.

Any info and suggestions would be very much appreciated!
Please reply be E-Mail !

Thanks very much,

Bart.
====================================================================================
Bart Kindt (ZL4FOX) System Operator, Efficient Software NZ LTD, Dunedin, New Zealand
====================================================================================

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Robert Ashcroft)
Subject: Re: Is Linux faster than Os/2? Please help.
Date: 27 Sep 1994 17:38:11 GMT

Not that I know of.  You want to visit a bookstore and get one of the books
on Latex and Tex.  Which one, I'm not sure, since the book by Leslie Lamport
on Latex is a bit useless.

RNA

In article <[email-masked]>,
Robert Gasch <[email-masked]> wrote:
>All this discussion of Tex is making me curious: Is there an online 
>tuorial or guide detailing it's features available?
>
>Thanks for any pointers
>--> robert
>PS: I know what it is but have no clue how to use it.
>
>
>Robert Ashcroft ([email-masked]) wrote:
>: In article <[email-masked]>,
>: Jeffrey  Nipp <[email-masked]> wrote:
>: >The real question is: Why would you want to write a THESIS on emax and 
>: >latex?  There are many comercial products which are much better suited to 
>: >that particular task which will run native under OS/2 or in a dos or 
>: >windows box under OS/2 and give much better performance than the unix 
>: >programs you mention.
>
>: Uh, I've known numerous people who have written theses, and almost all
>: of them used Latex or Tex or something, and most of those used Emacs
>: while doing so.  The only exception being a marketing weenie I know who
>: wrote his thesis in MS Word on a ****ing Macintosh...
>
>: And I'm using Latex and Emacs (with Auctex!  Very nice package that
>: more or less integrates the two) for my thesis.
>
>: I've yet to see nicer looking math output than Tex and Latex.  There is
>: a ton of stuff available for it too, just check out the Tex newsgroup
>: faqs sometime.
>
>: RNA

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Time Screws up w/ Linux
From: [email-masked] (Kamal Shaker)
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 1994 00:00:04 GMT

Spencer PriceNash ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]>,
: John Pearson <[email-masked]> wrote:
: >[email-masked] (Vaughn Adams) writes:
: >
: >>    I have had this problem for a while and never bothered to resolve it.
: >>Now that I need cron, I need to get it fixd.  Everytime I boot Linux, my i
: >>clock screws up.  THe time is always off, but the date is ok.  This doesn't 
: >>happen with any other OS that I have run on the computer.  I am runnin 
: >>Slackware 1.2 with a couple of dirrerent kernels. it seems to be kernel
: >>independant.

Ha! You think you have problems, everytime I boot to linux it
sets the date to April!! I have no idea about this, but OS/2
and Dos don't do anything like this....

Kamal.
-- 
==============================================================================
Kamal Shaker,        | [email-masked] or [email-masked]
Student Vax Cluster, | %SYSTEM-F-EXQUOTA, alcohol quota exceeded,
La Trobe Uni,        | stomach dumped.       (Using OS/2 2.1, and loving it!)

------------------------------

From: craig@enterprise (Craig S. Maloney)
Subject: Re: Beers for Linus (was: Contrib. $s for Linux Dev)
Date: 27 Sep 1994 18:13:29 GMT

On Tue, 27 Sep 1994 14:17:52 GMT David K. Merriman ([email-masked]) wrote the following...
:>In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (J.J. Paijmans) writes:
:>>Aside from all that: does anybody know what is involved in getting
:>>bottles with beer to Finland? I understand that the customs over there
:>>put so much tax on it that you'd better invite him over to Holland.
:>>Still I'd want to make a gesture.

:>>(One of the obvious things to work on is electronic transmission
:>>of bottles & alcoholic contents by internet)

:>You mean uuencoding or MIME don't work?  Bummer.

:>:-)

:>Dave Merriman

Best watch out for us Americans... Someone might just MIME over a case of
"Miller Lite". (American Term for Beer without the Beer taste)

--
Craig

=============================================================================
Craig Maloney                             | Engineering Computer Center
Supervisor                                | Wayne State University
PC/Mac Systems, College of Engineering    | 5050 Anthony Wayne Drive
  Internet: [email-masked]| Detroit, MI 48202
  Phone   : 313-577-5789                  | USA.
  Fax     : 313-577-5969                  | 
                                          |  "Eat Drum, Eat Drum, EAT DRUM!"
                                          |                      -Animal
=============================================================================

------------------------------

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

The service address, to which questions about the list itself and requests
to be added to or deleted from it should be directed, is:

    Internet: [email-masked]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.misc) via:

    Internet: [email-masked]

Linux may be obtained via one of these FTP sites:
    nic.funet.fi				pub/OS/Linux
    tsx-11.mit.edu				pub/linux
    sunsite.unc.edu				pub/Linux

End of Linux-Misc Digest
******************************