Subject: Linux-Misc Digest #861
From: Digestifier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 94 18:13:20 EDT

Linux-Misc Digest #861, Volume #2                 Sat, 1 Oct 94 18:13:20 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Maple V for linux! (Michael Zill)
  Re: Three quick questions (Jay Schlieske)
  Re: TERM auto-login script. (Jay Schlieske)
  Re: WD AC2540 or QUANTUM LPS540 - which one should I buy ? (Sam Brown)
  Token Ring drivers? (Paul Gillingwater)
  Re: PPP chat script (Ahmad S. Alrasheedan)
  Re: New Linux Distribution (Jeff Kesselman)
  UUCP Problem (Thomas Rose)
  Re: Is Linux faster than Os/2? Please help. (Michael Rogero Brown (Sys Admin))
  Bug in PPP code? (Ian Chard)
  Where did you buy Motif? (Michael P. Jarreau)
  Shared Memory IPC (Jeff Porter)
  Re: Linux goes commercial (Rob Ransbottom)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Michael Zill)
Subject: Re: Maple V for linux!
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 1994 20:22:29 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Scott Weinstein) writes:
|> I havn't seen anything on the newsgroups about this... Maple V is
|> available for Linux. It looks and runs just like the Solaris version. 
|> The binaries are not staticly linked and the entire installation takes
|> up 24 MB. I'm impressed.
|> 
|> The SCO version also works with Linux under the iBCS emulator.
|> 
|> With WordPerfect, mapleV, and DOOM, there's no excuse for not
|> installing Linux.
|> 
|> 
|> --
|> Scott Weinstein
|> University at Albany

On what linux hardware have you seen it ? Performance ?

Thanks
Michael
-- 
*******************************************************************
* Michael Zill             * Phone : +49 6171 72175               *
* Feldbergstr.90           * Email : [email-masked]        *
* 61449 Steinbach/ Germany *                                      *
******************************************************************* 

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Jay Schlieske)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Three quick questions
Date: 1 Oct 1994 15:29:28 GMT

Ben Moroze ([email-masked]) wrote:
: I just set up the SLS Linux system on my machine with very few problems.
: However, I have three hopefully easy questions:

: can cat or cp files to /dev/lp1 and they will print.  Any ideas on determining
: if the spooler is working and what I'm doing wrong as far as lpr?

Is there a command invoking your lp daemon in /etc/rc.d/rc.M ?
/usr/bin/lpd ?

: 2) Every time I boot up, I get a message like "Filesystem not clean, checking
: it".  I am shutting down using shutdown -r as opposed to cold or CTRL-ALT-DELETE
: rebooting.  Is this normal?  Usually, there are no other messages
: after the "Filesystem not clean..." concerning filesystem problems.

Is there a (/bin)(/sbin)/umount -a command in your /etc/rc.d/(rc.0)(rc.K) ?
That writes a clean bit (if you use ext2). 

: 3) I have a Diamond Viper PCI card.  Is it worth installing the XWindows
: system (i.e., is there a color driver available for the Viper PCI, and if
: so, where might I find it)?

I don't use a diamond, but have seen a diamond section on sunsite.

: Thanks for any help you can provide!

:                               Ben Moroze ([email-masked])

--
                                        [email-masked] 
  - Jay                     o
         Jay Schlieske    <#<         " Above all.... have fun. " 
  +*+ Credits: smartmail__>^>__by * Linux+Pine3.90+Smail+Term-2.1.4+PoP +*+
==========   #include  <std/disclaimer.h>   ===============================

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Jay Schlieske)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: TERM auto-login script.
Date: 1 Oct 1994 15:44:19 GMT

StarWare ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Hello all,

: Does anybody have the auto-login script for starting TERM?
: I have the one from Michael O'Reilly, but it does not work
: for me.  I always get time out with it, but if I use Kermit
: to connect then start term, everything is OK.

I use a script to start kermit (use .kermrc to log me in,
& start term on the remote, then quit kermit). The script then
continues and starts term on my end, do some simple trshs to check
mail, do a few local tredirs for the nntp port, telnet port, pop port,
tudpredir the talk port, start the pop-perl daemon, check & run
the local mail queue, all the while echoing progress of the
script. And finally drops me at my local prompt.

If you're interested, I'll send you a copies of the .kermrc and
the script. These are for kermit189 & term 2.1.4. 

: -- 

: Regards                               
: [email-masked]

--
                                        [email-masked] 
  - Jay                     o
         Jay Schlieske    <#<         " Above all.... have fun. " 
  +*+ Credits: smartmail__>^>__by * Linux+Pine3.90+Smail+Term-2.1.4+PoP +*+
==========   #include  <std/disclaimer.h>   ===============================

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Sam Brown)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc
Subject: Re: WD AC2540 or QUANTUM LPS540 - which one should I buy ?
Date: 29 Sep 1994 11:46:27 -0700

get the seagate 5660, its the fastest and smallest 540 meg yet. ultra 
small, ultra quiet, supports mode 2 and 4 (13mb/sec) xfer rates for eide, 
which is a plus, and works with the st1239A. i have one,

speaking of which can u tell me what jumper to shunt to make the st1239A 
a master? its currently a slave and i want to put it in a separate system 
ALL BY ITSELF, so help?

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Paul Gillingwater)
Subject: Token Ring drivers?
Date: 29 Sep 1994 21:08:08 GMT

Are there any Token Ring drivers for Linux?

--
[email-masked] (Paul Gillingwater) :: Home Office in Vienna, Austria
If you read news with rn or trn, try EEP! the friendly .newsrc editor.
Waffle users, try <A HREF="ftp://eunet.co.at/pub/news/eep/">WinBoxer</A>
<A HREF="http://actrix.gen.nz/users/paul/plg.html">Visit my URL!</A>

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Ahmad S. Alrasheedan)
Subject: Re: PPP chat script
Date: 29 Sep 1994 20:38:56 GMT

Ahmad S. Alrasheedan ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Please, please, please....I need a chat script for PPP login.
: I am open for any contribution :-))

: Thanx

I realised that the problem was not a chat script, both machines were
chating all right. I reach the stage of 'word:', then hell breaks loose.
I get alarm, fail. !!. I use the same 2 machines with PPP but on SCO; same
modems same everything, except I just swap the HD at home to run Linux.

I even use the same dialer string on SCO and linux. If any body know of such
a problem I would like to learn from their exp.

Thanx

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Jeff Kesselman)
Subject: Re: New Linux Distribution
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 1994 06:27:53 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Mike Suzio <[email-masked]> wrote:
>[email-masked] (Juana Moreno) writes:
>
>>My distribution, tentatively called "WIn-dos Transition" (WIT), would have
>>the following features:
>>      - Defaults to SINGLE USER mode. No need to show the complications
>>              of multiuser accounts to newbies who will likely use it
>>              personally.
>
>Bad idea.  Even a newbie user could quickly understand that he logs
>in under a user name, and gets a setup designed for him.  So many people
>use networks at work today that the concept of logging in to a system is
>not intimidating.  If they then are introduced to the concept that you
>must login as a "superuser" to configure the system, they should be able to
>understand it.
>It's essential that an intro to Unix include this concept; it's one of the
>major features of it, that it's a multi-user system.  One setup for Dad,
>one for Junior, one for Mom, etc.
Besides which, as I recall, single user mode gives one much more control 
of the system, yes?  This is not necessarily a good thing for a beginner...

>
>>      - Only one shell: bash, with lots of aliases that match as closely
>>              as possible the COMMAND.COM commands and the utilities in
>>              the DOS directory. Maybe it won't be very difficult to 
>>              include a .BAT->.sh translator.
>
>Sounds OK.  This is very similar to the approach I take with getting Unix
>accounts for people I know are DOS literate but Unix dummies.  Alias all
>the commands to DOS-like equivalents.
>Be sure to note things like the cp "feature" of overwriting files if a bad
>wildcard is given to it.  If you don't know what I mean, reconsider this
>whole idea...

Ah, I have a problem with this.  I don't thin kyou are doing people any 
favors here.  All you are doing is delayign the inevitable day that sit 
down at another unix system thinking  they 'know' it, and none of their 
commands work!

Now, if you wanted to build batch files that printed out "try <unix 
command>" whenever they typed a dos command, THAT i see as a useful 
learnign tool...

 >
>>      - Only enough utilities to match the functionality of the DOS
>>              standard utilities plus the major unix winners like 
>>              grep, awk and sed. (But not vi or emacs!!!).

Why on earth do you want to cripple UNIX?  There are plenty of commands 
on my system i have never used, but they are there so that when I DO need 
them, I ahve them available.  They don't 'get in my way' so why remove 
them? Also, unless you expurgate the man pages as well, you are just 
setting up a formula for frustration when they learnt o use amn and then 
find whats in it doesnt exist on their system

>
>Agreed, no need for vi or emacs.  Go with joe or pico.

I'll disagre here too.  The one thing about vi is that it is ALWAYS 
available.  I have found that I am in demand at work to answer vi 
questiosn all the time for people who were 'never going to use it' and 
then find them,selves in a vanilla unics enviuronment where their 
favorite editor hasn't been installed.

I wont say vi is great, or even good when it comes to interface, but it 
IS powerful and ALWAYS there.

>
>>      - NO NETWORKING, except for maybe a terminal program (minicom) and
>>              a mostly configured SLIP (client side only). In that case,
>>              maybe Mosaic should be also included.

Again, why eliminate this just to eliminate it??? Uts beter to keep the 
optiosn open so your users can grow.  Also, what do you mean when you say 
'no networking'.  Certain basic network services, such as sockets, are 
so built into UNIX that you will break code that lives locally if you 
remove them. One of the ncie thiungs about UNXI networkign is this 
transparency...

>re: No scsi
Oh. So you want  to DECREASE the number of users who can use your 
system??? PArdon me, but thsi is just bizzare.

 > >
>>      -XFree 3.1 configured to use the VGA16 server (mono or color) with
>>              a generic (low resolution) Xconfig.

But what about mice? They are STILLgoing to have to through some 
configuration anyway.  Its enough just to give reasonable defaults (now, 
if you want to make std_vga16 the default, thats fine, though thats what 
I have and its a VERY small X screen... just about unusable...)

If you want to make this thing accessible, though, stay FAR AWAY from 
making it necessreay to use X to use or configure the system.  Many user 
(such as myself) don't have 8+meg of memory and arent about to spend the 
money.  Ther SCO admin-shell approach is alot friendlier to the wallet.

> 
> >>    - Utilities to match the standard Windows applets:
>>              Winfile -> Xfm-1.3
>>              Progman -> Xfm-1.3
>>              Notepad -> Axe (?)
>Just use the standard editor here
>
>>              Write   -> Ez
>Well, ez fails to impress me, and it's kinda big.  Might reconsider this
>one.
>
>>              Terminal -> Minicom (Seyon?)
To me this stinks of windows-pandering. Rather then saying 'if windows 
has it, we gotta' why don't you work from the poitn of view of what peopl 
really Do with their computers. We have a much BETTER range of free 
software to choose from.  I would suggest:
        1) A WSYWIG word processor
        2) A good spreadsheet
        3) A friendly database
        4) WWW or soem other friendly internet support

>>      - Only one window manager: FVWM
>>      - No developing tools.
>        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>If you need to conserve space, I guess I understand this one.  It's just so
>non-Unix, though...
>
I have similar feelings.  But since  CD-ROMs costs $1.50 to press in bulk 
(including the crystal box) why do you have to save space?

>>Well, that's my idea. I'd like to hear comments before I start packaging 
>>everything, because if you think this is useless I'd like to know before
>>I waste my time. All suggestions will be appreciated.

Yeah i think you are wasting your time.  Among other thinsg you have 
comepletely ignored what I consider to be the BIGGEST problem with asking 
DOS/Windows user to use UNIX-- administration.  A DOS or Windows system 
can be set up and more or less left alone and it will continue to run 
properly.  A UNIX system needs a certain level of 
administration/maintainence.  I don't thin kyou can change thgis. UNIX's 
biggest strength is its multi-user cpapabilities, these also lead to its 
admin needs.  If you eliminate that, you might as well use OS/2 (or even 
DOS).

FInally, if you DO get peopel to use this thing, for all of the rasons I 
listed above, they will be lost when they try to use any OTHER UNIX 
station, so i don't see that you've taught them anything.

Sorry to be so negative, but thats how I see it.

Jeff Kesselman

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Rose)
Subject: UUCP Problem
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 1994 15:50:50 GMT

Hi !

I like to connect another Machine via UUCP because we like to exchange
mail und news.

We use hdb uucp.

My System-file is :

royal    Any,SaSu ACU,igf 38400 64513       "" \r ogin:--ogin:--ogin: vulcan word: 67
modem    Any             Direct Direct
pink     Any      TCP -  pink ogin: uvulcan\n\c ssword: news\n\c
space    Any      TCP -  pink ogin: uvulcan\n\c ssword: news\n\c
#royal           Systemname
#Wk1825-600,SaSu Rufe dort nur Wochentags zwischen 18.25 und 6.00 Uhr an,
#                am Wochende ohne Beschraenkung
#ACU,igf         1. Feld in Devices und die zu benutzenden Protokolle, (i ist
#                ganz ok)
#38400           Leitungsgeschwindigkeit
#169154          Telefonnummer
# danach kommt jetzt wieder ein expect/send String
# ""             Erwarte nichts
# \r             Sende einmal CR
# ogin:--ogin:--ogin: Erwarte den String "ogin" (fuer Login, login), kommt er
#                     nach einer gewissen Zeit nicht wir ein BREAK Character
#                     gesendet und wieder gewartet.
# nuucp          Sende deine Loginkennung fuer UUCP
# word:          Erwarte "word:" (fuer Password)
# ;-)            Sende dein Passwort
M
# modem          Auch ein Systemname
# Any            Zugriff jederzeit (kann man fuer royal natuerlich auch eintragen)
# Direct         1. Feld in Devices
# Direct         kein expect/send, man ist sofort angeschlossen

My Error in /usr/spool/uucp/.Admin/audit.local looks like :

uucp space (9/29-16:44:58,320,0) Calling system space (port TCP)
uucp space (9/29-16:44:58,320,0) DEBUG: icexpect: Looking for 5 "ogin:"
uucp space (9/29-16:44:58,320,0) DEBUG: icexpect: Got "login:" (found it)
uucp space (9/29-16:44:58,320,0) DEBUG: fcsend: Writing "uvulcan\n"
uucp space (9/29-16:44:58,320,0) DEBUG: icexpect: Looking for 7 "ssword:"
uucp space (9/29-16:44:58,320,0) DEBUG: icexpect: Got " Password:" (found it)
uucp space (9/29-16:44:58,320,0) DEBUG: fcsend: Writing "news\n"
uucp space (9/29-16:44:58,320,0) DEBUG: zget_uucp_cmd: Got "uucp space (9/29-16:44:58,320,0) ERROR: Line disconnected
" (error)
uucp space (9/29-16:44:58,320,0) DEBUG: fconn_close: Closing connection
uucp space (9/29-16:44:58,320,0) DEBUG: Call failed: 4 (STARTUP FAILED)
uucp - (9/29-16:44:58,321,0) DEBUG: Forked; old PID 320, new pid 321
uucp - (9/29-16:44:58,321,0) DEBUG: Forking /usr/lib/uucp/uuxqt -sspace

Why does the system produce this error ?

                          Tom

P.S.: Please reply via elm
-- 
=====
Thomas Rose  Jakbo-Kneip-Strasse 92  40595 Duesseldorf   Germany
Telefon:     +49 5251 370231 | +49 211 707484
E-Mail :     [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Michael Rogero Brown (Sys Admin))
Subject: Re: Is Linux faster than Os/2? Please help.
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 1994 22:50:24 GMT

Robert Ashcroft ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Not that I know of.  You want to visit a bookstore and get one of the books
: on Latex and Tex.  Which one, I'm not sure, since the book by Leslie Lamport
: on Latex is a bit useless.

Sorry, but I don't agree on your assement of Lamport's book.  All the LaTeX
users I know, myself included, swear by it.

: In article <[email-masked]>,
: Robert Gasch <[email-masked]> wrote:
: >All this discussion of Tex is making me curious: Is there an online 
: >tuorial or guide detailing it's features available?
: >
: >Thanks for any pointers
: >--> robert
: >PS: I know what it is but have no clue how to use it.
: >
: >
: >Robert Ashcroft ([email-masked]) wrote:
: >: In article <[email-masked]>,
: >: Jeffrey  Nipp <[email-masked]> wrote:
: >: >The real question is: Why would you want to write a THESIS on emax and 
: >: >latex?  There are many comercial products which are much better suited to 
: >: >that particular task which will run native under OS/2 or in a dos or 
: >: >windows box under OS/2 and give much better performance than the unix 
: >: >programs you mention.
: >
: >: Uh, I've known numerous people who have written theses, and almost all
: >: of them used Latex or Tex or something, and most of those used Emacs
: >: while doing so.  The only exception being a marketing weenie I know who
: >: wrote his thesis in MS Word on a ****ing Macintosh...
: >
: >: And I'm using Latex and Emacs (with Auctex!  Very nice package that
: >: more or less integrates the two) for my thesis.
: >
: >: I've yet to see nicer looking math output than Tex and Latex.  There is
: >: a ton of stuff available for it too, just check out the Tex newsgroup
: >: faqs sometime.
: >
: >: RNA

--
==========All Opinions Expressed are MINE, not IBM's==============
Michael Rogero Brown       (*IX System Administrator)  
IBM (uK Development)         TEL/TIE   (407) 443-6400   
Boca Raton, FL               Internet:  [email-masked]

If you think I speak for IBM, then I've got some swamp land^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H
real estate to sell you.

GCM/CS   d-- h-- s g+ p1 au a w+ v C++$ UA++++$ US+ UH+ P+>++ L>++ 3 N(+++) K 
    W--- M-- V>-- -p+ Y+ t 5++ j(++) r !G v+ b+++ !D b--- e+++ u+ h+ f !r n x?

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Ian Chard)
Subject: Bug in PPP code?
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 1994 10:02:34 GMT

Hi

I recently tried to put my PPP interface into promiscuous mode by accident
with 'tcpdump -p' and got this fault:

Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address c0000000
current->tss.cr3 = 00560000, [r3 = 00560000
*pde = 00102027
*pte = 00000027
Oops: 0000
EIP:    0010:00000000
EFLAGS: 00010246
eax: 00000000   ebx: 00000051   ecx: 00582f44   edx: 00190151
esi: bffffd48   edi: 00582f64   ebp: 0019bbdc   esp: 00582f20
ds: 0018   es: 0018   fs: 002b   gs: 002b   ss: 0018
Process tcpdump (pid: 222, process nr: 27, stackpage=00582000)
Stack: 0013218f 0019bbdc ffffffff 00000000 bffffd28
Code: 01 00 00 00 97 ea 00 f0 c3 e2 00 f0 97 ea 00 f0 97 ea 00 f0

I've been able to reproduce this, but it only happens the first time I try to
do it - subsequent attempts go unpunished.

Where am I supposed to be looking in the above message for a pointer into my
system map?

Cheers
Ian

-- 
[  Ian Chard, at home and awake  |  GCS/MU d? H- S:--- g+ p? au a- w+ v+(-)   ]
[ Email: [email-masked] |  C+ ULS+++$ P--- L++ 3- E--- N++ K++ W--   ]
[ NTS: G7OMZ @ GB7VRB.#38.GBR.EU |  M- V-- po Y t++ 5- !j R- G'' tv+@ b>+ D-  ]
[  PGP 2.6 available on request  |  B? e- u++* h!>- f+ r-() n---- !y>!y       ]

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Michael P. Jarreau)
Subject: Where did you buy Motif?
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 1994 16:58:34 GMT

I need to buy Motif and I need recommendations on distributors.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Michael
[email-masked]

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Jeff Porter)
Subject: Shared Memory IPC
Date: 28 Sep 1994 06:43:31 GMT

I'm working on a project that needs to use a shared memory
block for interprocess communication in Linux.  (I know there are
better ways for doing IPC, but this project specifically REQUIRES
shared memory.)  In particular, I'd like to be able to map memory
pages from process A into the memory space of process B.

I was thinking that the phys() mmap() functions might help, but
according to my man page, phys() is not implemented.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated (e-mail or post)!

Jeff Porter
[email-masked]

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Rob Ransbottom)
Subject: Re: Linux goes commercial
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 1994 16:13:17 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Michael K. Johnson <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>[email-masked] (Champ Clark) writes:

>He is completely wrong.  Well, not completely.  It is not public
>domain now, and never will be.  It is protected by the GNU copyleft,
>a copyright which *prohibits* people other than the copyright holder
>from limiting free distribution of the protected software.  Since

As I read my License (GPL), I find no clause that allows even 
the copyright holder[s] to revoke my rights under the license. 

What the copyright holder[s] may do is release another edition 
(possibly identical in content) under another license.

------------------------------

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

The service address, to which questions about the list itself and requests
to be added to or deleted from it should be directed, is:

    Internet: [email-masked]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.misc) via:

    Internet: [email-masked]

Linux may be obtained via one of these FTP sites:
    nic.funet.fi				pub/OS/Linux
    tsx-11.mit.edu				pub/linux
    sunsite.unc.edu				pub/Linux

End of Linux-Misc Digest
******************************