Subject: Linux-Misc Digest #890
From: Digestifier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 94 17:13:27 EDT

Linux-Misc Digest #890, Volume #2                 Thu, 6 Oct 94 17:13:27 EDT

Contents:
  3rd RFD: rec.games.computer.doom.{announce,help,misc,editing,playing} (John Van Essen)
  Re: Curious: Why is Linux DOOM so much slower than DOS doom (Mr MR Biggs)
  Printcap for LJIIIP? (David K. Merriman)
  Re: Curious: Why is Linux DOOM so much slower than DOS doom (Ken Sorensen)
  Re: Hmmm (Thomas Gschwind)
  Re: Linux on a 386 (Ian McCloghrie)
  Re: X News-reader for LinuX (James Logajan)
  Re: free unix software (Alan Cox)
  Re: Word (Text) processors for Linux? (David Barr)
  *** PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING *** (misc-2.07) (Ian Jackson)
  Anybody knows if Diamond stealth 64 supports interlaced mode? (Shan Zhu)
  Re: Newest Linux Journal? (Lewis Tanzos)
  Re: Disk Quotas - limiting space (Wieringen van)
  Re: Gnuplot and XWindows ? (Jason Sheu)
  Re: Next InfoMagic Linux CD's? (Phil Hughes)
  adding a dumb terminal (Ka-pui Ko)
  Softlanding (E. St. John-Olcayto)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (John Van Essen)
Crossposted-To: news.announce.newgroups,news.groups,alt.games.doom,alt.games.doom.announce,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.sgi.misc,comp.sys.next.misc,comp.os.os2.games
Subject: 3rd RFD: rec.games.computer.doom.{announce,help,misc,editing,playing}
Date: 6 Oct 1994 13:59:46 -0400

                   3rd REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
                      rec.games.computer.doom.*

[Removed controversial .ports and .multiplayers groups, leaving 5 groups.]
[Removed unchanged PURPOSE/DISCUSSION/RATIONALE sections for brevity.]
[See the EPILOGUE TO 3RD RFD at the end for further comments.]

Group Names:    rec.games.computer.doom.{announce,help,misc,editing,playing}
Status:         1 Moderated (announce), 4 Unmoderated
Distribution:   World
Summary:        Discussion of the game DOOM and its sequels and add-ons.
                Replaces alt.games.{doom,doom.announce,doom.newplayers}
Proposed By:    John Van Essen <[email-masked]>
With Help From: Contributors in alt.games.doom too numerous to mention.
Posting Date:   Mon Sep 19 1994 (1st RFD)
Posted To:      news.announce.newgroups     comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action 
                news.groups                 comp.sys.sgi.misc 
                alt.games.doom.announce     comp.sys.next.misc 
                alt.games.doom              comp.os.linux.misc
                                            comp.os.os2.games

Newsgroup lines:
rec.games.computer.doom.announce        Info/FAQs/reviews about DOOM. (Moderated)
rec.games.computer.doom.help            DOOM Help Service (new players welcome).
rec.games.computer.doom.misc            Talking about DOOM and id Software.
rec.games.computer.doom.editing         Editing and hacking DOOM-related files.
rec.games.computer.doom.playing         Playing DOOM and user-created levels.

NOTE: The new rec.games.computer and rec.games.computer.doom nodes whose
creation is implied here are not newsgroups - no posting intended there.

CHARTERS
========

rec.games.computer.doom.announce    Info/FAQs/reviews about DOOM. (Moderated)

  The sort of postings likely to be to be approved by the moderator are 
  general announcements that are interesting to the broad spectrum of DOOM 
  players.  Examples of these types of articles are:

   - Anything from id Software
   - New PWAD and LMP announcements
   - Announcements of new versions of utilities like DEU and DEHACKED
   - Tourney announcements
   - FTP site news (downtime, user limits, etc)
   - FAQs and similarly informative documents
   - Reviews of user-written PWADs

  The current moderator of alt.games.doom.announce, Tony Lezard, says that
  he'd be happy to moderate this newsgroup using the current addresses:

    Submit:  [email-masked]
    Contact: [email-masked] (Tony Lezard)

  This newsgroup replaces alt.games.doom.announce.

rec.games.computer.doom.help        DOOM Help Service (new players welcome).

  This unmoderated newsgroup is the headquarters of the DOOM Help Service.
  Readers new to USENET or to DOOM who post questions here will receive a
  flame-free friendly response from experienced USENETters and DOOM players.
  Game setup, hardware problems, modem/network setup, secrets, cheats, how
  to get DOOM and related utilities are a few examples of suitable topics.

  Questions about modifying/editing levels belong in the .editing group.

  This newsgroup replaces alt.games.doom.newplayers.

rec.games.computer.doom.misc        Talking about DOOM and id Software.

  Here is where discussion occurs about non-play-related issues that
  aren't suitable (or only marginally so) for the other subgroups.
  Examples are FTP issues, ports of DOOM to other systems, piracy,
  "DOOM - the Movie", DOOM II vs. DOOM, what's the best soundcard, 
  DOOM-related ads, comparisons with other games, magazine articles, 
  people at id and their cars, future id plans (Quake).  In general, 
  if it isn't about actually playing or editing DOOM, post it here.    

rec.games.computer.doom.editing     Editing and hacking DOOM-related files.

  Discussion here covers modifying the DOOM environment, especially the
  EXE and WAD files.  There are many user-written utilities available that  
  do these types of things.  Some authors and experienced users can answer
  questions about design techniques and using the utilities.  Examples of
  topics are effects of design error (HOM, Medusa), design problems in 
  user-written PWADs, modifying default DOOM behavior, utility enhancements.

  Comments or questions about playing user-written PWADs (opinions, keys, 
  secrets, etc.) should not be posted here - post in .playing instead.

rec.games.computer.doom.playing     Playing DOOM and user-created levels.

  Discussion about playing DOOM takes place here (not only about playing
  id's original levels, but also about playing user-written PWADs).
  Topics include how to find secrets, keyboard/mouse movement techniques, 
  side-effects of playing DOOM, where to find good PWADS (and which ones 
  are favorites), deathmatch experiences, and so forth.

  Tournament discussions and multi-player topics can go here, too.

  PWAD upload notices can be posted here when not posted in .announce.

  Non-play-related topics belong in the .misc group (this includes Quake).

EPILOGUE TO 3RD RFD
===================

  My reluctant decision to remove .ports and .multiplayers and go with 
  just the 5 main groups was widely supported:

    Looks fine to me.  Enjoy.                 -  Francis Uy
    I'd not be against any of these groups.   -  William Harris
    I'm all for it.                           -  Raphael Quinet
    I have no problem with this.              -  Doug Barton
    This works for me. Let's start voting.    -  Clint in Alaska

  I've modified some of the charters to merge in multiplayer/Quake info.

  I'm submitting the Call for Votes request to Ron Dippold and asking
  for voting to commence as early as 'legally' possible, which is on
  Thursday, Oct 13.  There may be a few days' delay, but expect the CFV
  sometime that week.  Voting will last for 22 days.  Following the vote, 
  there is a 5 day discussion period after which the newsgroups that passed 
  will be created by the moderator of news.announce.newgroups.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Mr MR Biggs)
Subject: Re: Curious: Why is Linux DOOM so much slower than DOS doom
Date: 5 Oct 1994 16:11:28 GMT

Casey Barton ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]>,
: >In article <[email-masked]>,
: >>Sujat Jamil ([email-masked]) wrote:
: >>: I'd really like to know why does Linux DOOM run significantly slower
Dunno if it's shit or not but I heard that linux doom has all the graphics
scaling stuff is done on C and not assembler like the dos version so that
slows it down heaps....
--

/~~~\|~|/~~~\/~~~\|~| |~~~|/~~\ "Order must underlie everything
|  '/| | /~~~ /~~~| | | |_ \ \~  however disorderly it may appear"
|  ,\| | \/~| \/~|| |_| |_ _\ \                 Isaac Asimov
|___/|_|\_/||\_/|||____|__|\__/  [email-masked]
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (David K. Merriman)
Subject: Printcap for LJIIIP?
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 1994 16:55:49 GMT

Has anyone got a printcap filter for an HP LaserJet IIIP they'd be willing to 
send me?  Or a pointer to where one already exists?  No sense re-inventing the 
wheel.....

Dave Merriman

------------------------------

From: ksore@atr-14 (Ken Sorensen)
Subject: Re: Curious: Why is Linux DOOM so much slower than DOS doom
Date: 5 Oct 1994 16:15:28 GMT

Thomas Gschwind ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Sujat Jamil ([email-masked]) wrote:
: : I'd really like to know why does Linux DOOM run significantly slower
: : on Linux than it does on DOS for the same machine.  Is it because it
: : has to go through multiple layers of X and Linux?  I've also played it
: : on a SGI workstation, where it is reasonably fast.  Of course, the
: : machine also had a 150 MHz MIPS processor.  Is there any way to
: : make doom run faster on Linux besides getting a faster machine?

Well, first off, I've heard that the code for Linux DOOM is pure C, whereas
the DOS version has some optimized assembly in it for speed. So you should
expect less performance.

: Kill everything, you do not need and if this is still to slow,
: than try renicing it, see man nice.

I've killed everything, but not doing a renice. Anyway, I have 486DX/2-66,
and it ran slowwww. I have a local-bus ET-4000 (not accelerated) and I wasn't
impressed with it. However, it was kinda nice to run two DOOM sessions
side-by-side and watch the demo's play.

: --
:        \|/         Thomas GSCHWIND, Student at Technische Universität WIEN
:       (o o)        email: [email-masked]                      
: --oOo--(_)--oOo--  DOS is too DOSASTROUS for you? Try UN*X!    

--
Kenneth Sorensen                    |  [email-masked]
====================================+==================================
Hughes Aircraft Company             |  Phone: (714) 732-9816
P.O. Box 3310                       |  Fax:   (714) 732-1953
Fullerton, California, US           +----------------------------------
92634-3310, Mail Station: 618/B223  |  #include <std-disclaimer.h>

 "That's usually the case with free things - in fact, you can pretty much
  guarantee that if it's free, it's not expensive..." -- unknown

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Gschwind)
Crossposted-To: alt.fan.linus-torvalds
Subject: Re: Hmmm
Date: 5 Oct 1994 16:21:01 GMT

lilo ([email-masked]) wrote:
: On 29 Sep 1994 08:34:35 GMT, Mitchum DSouza ([email-masked]) wrote:
: > [...]

: > Hey I'm a fan. Have been so since 0.10. Im sure everyone else joined a 
: > bit more recently. 

: Much more recently....just after the version number change, in fact....I
: guess it must have been 0.95....

The first time I heard of it, was version 0.96. I was running around
asking everybody, how much memory I would need to install UN*X and
dreaming of installing it (I just heard UN*X is better than DOS)! They
all told me UN*X and PC, forget it!!!

Than I found out, that there's something called Linux; I just wanted
to install it, but I had no machine to install it on (to that point
I couldn't afford to buy one, where I could install a good UN*X),
so I began installing it at the university (in a DOS lab; DOS just
used 40megs of the HD, so there were 70 left for me)...

That was my first touch with UN*X/Linux; I loved it from the beginning,
because it isn't difficult, just type apropos :) and ... 
Sure it took me one to two week to figure out how to install X, another
two for compiling the kernel with networking... It took 1 Term till I had
everything I wanted, even things I never could have at home (Network,
Mail, ...)

SO THANKS TO LINUS AND EVERYBODY ELSE, who did a lot of work on Linux!!!
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Don't forget them!
                        Tom

--
       \|/         Thomas GSCHWIND, Student at Technische Universität WIEN
      (o o)        email: [email-masked]                      
--oOo--(_)--oOo--  DOS is too DOSASTROUS for you? Try UN*X!    

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Ian McCloghrie)
Subject: Re: Linux on a 386
Date: 5 Oct 1994 09:29:25 -0700

[email-masked] (Steven Pritchard) writes:

>[email-masked] (Alex Ramos) writes:
>>Jeff Kesselman ([email-masked]), quoted out of context, wrote:
>>> In article <[email-masked]>,
>>> Jim Sun <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> >The first sentence is correct; the remainder are misinformation at best.
>>> >IBM's SLC and DLC processors are indeed merely improved 386s;

>>What about Cyrix's DLC? Is it also just an improved 386?

>The DLC is 486 instruction set compatible.  It has only a 1K cache.  It 
>has the same pin-out as a 386DX, though.  Apparently, this means that it 
>can't do anything a 486 does with those extra pins.  (The only thing I 
>know of is burst mode, there could be more.)

When you get right down to it, an Intel 486 is really nothing more
than an improved 386 with a 387 thrown in for good measure.  The
architectural differences between a 386 and a 486 are far smaller
than those between the 286 and 386 or those between the 486 and
586/pentium.

--
Ian McCloghrie    work: [email-masked]     home: [email-masked]
  ____   GCS d-- H s+:+ !g p? au a- w+ v- C++$ UL++++ US++$ P+>++
  \bi/   L+++ 3 E+ N++ K--- W--- M-- V-- -po+ Y+ t+ 5+++ jx R G'''
   \/    tv- b+++ D- B-- e- u* h- f+ r n- y*

The above represents my personal opinions and not necessarily those
of my employer, Qualcomm Inc.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (James Logajan)
Subject: Re: X News-reader for LinuX
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 1994 05:10:50 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Don Rubin) writes:
> I use XRn and it leaves alot to be desired. Has anyone built
> xvNews for Linux? I would be interested in hearing about any
> other X newsreaders too. 

I pulled the sources for both xvnews and xrn. I could not get xvnews to
post, even though I liked its layout better than xrn. Both xvnews and xrn
allow sorting of subject lines, ignoring the "re:" stuff which gives a
certain amount of threading.

I read news from netcoms' nntp server over a cslip link and found that
tin -r was just plain unbearably slow. Otherwise I'd use tin, since it
some useful features that I wished the X readers had. Xvnews was better than
xrn, because xrn insists on displaying the first article in the groups
list. This makes entering a new group a crap shoot; *.answer groups
all have looong articles. On a slow link, this makes xrn a pain. Also,
if I save locally, xrn is too brain-dead to remember that I already have
the article up, and goes and pulls it from the nntp server again! Lastly,
xrn (and I think xvnews did this too), do not use a proper select() or
poll() call in their X message/nntp loop. The result is that redraw messages
are not honored while xrn awaits a response from the server. This offends
my sensibility about the proper behaviour that X apps should exhibits.
Still, I do use xrn and maybe someday I'll write something that is not
only X aware, but also more efficient with slow links and has the features
of tin.

Let me know if there is something already out there like that. Thanks.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Alan Cox)
Subject: Re: free unix software
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 1994 15:48:13 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Spencer PriceNash) writes:
>"appropos spreadsheet" shows me sc and xspread, two spreadsheets
>that run on my Linux system (Slackware 2.0 distribution).  xspread
>was distributed with X.

So you haven't got oleo or the Andrew spreadsheet facility installed ?

Alan

-- 
  ..-----------,,----------------------------,,----------------------------,,
 // Alan Cox  //  [email-masked]   //  GW4PTS@GB7SWN.#45.GBR.EU  //
 ``----------'`----------------------------'`----------------------------''

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (David Barr)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.questions
Subject: Re: Word (Text) processors for Linux?
Date: 5 Oct 1994 13:01:49 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>,
Richard L. Goerwitz <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Of course, this is all moot for Linux, since there *is* no multilingual word
>processor for Unix (though some stabs are being made in that direction).

Hm, FrameMaker has had multilingual support for a while now.
(currently Brazilian Portuguese, US and UK English, Canadian French,
Catalan, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian,
Nynorsk, Portuguese, Swiss German, Spanish, and Swedish)

--Dave

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Ian Jackson)
Subject: *** PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING *** (misc-2.07)
Date: 6 Oct 1994 04:04:43 -0600

Please do not post questions to comp.os.linux.misc - read on for details of
which groups you should read and post to.

Please do not crosspost anything between different groups of the comp.os.linux
hierarchy.  See Matt Welsh's introduction to the hierarchy, posted weekly.

If you have a question about Linux you should get and read the Linux Frequently
Asked Questions with Answers list from sunsite.unc.edu, in /pub/Linux/docs, or
from another Linux FTP site.  It is also posted periodically to c.o.l.announce.

In particular, read the question `You still haven't answered my question!'
The FAQ will refer you to the Linux HOWTOs (more detailed descriptions of
particular topics) found in the HOWTO directory in the same place.

Then you should consider posting to comp.os.linux.help - not
comp.os.linux.misc.

Note that X Windows related questions should go to comp.windows.x.i386unix, and
that non-Linux-specific Unix questions should go to comp.unix.questions.
Please read the FAQs for these groups before posting - look on rtfm.mit.edu in
/pub/usenet/news.answers/Intel-Unix-X-faq and .../unix-faq.

Only if you have a posting that is not more appropriate for one of the other
Linux groups - ie it is not a question, not about the future development of
Linux, not an announcement or bug report and not about system administration -
should you post to comp.os.linux.misc.

Comments on this posting are welcomed - please email me !
--
Ian Jackson  <[email-masked]>  (urgent email: [email-masked])
2 Lexington Close, Cambridge, CB4 3LS, England;  phone: +44 223 64238

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Shan Zhu)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Anybody knows if Diamond stealth 64 supports interlaced mode?
Date: 5 Oct 1994 17:03:01 GMT

Hi, there,

Does anybody know if Diamond stealth 64 supports interlaced mode, i.e.,
1024x768 with dot clock 45MHz. 

Thanks a lot.

-shan

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Lewis Tanzos)
Subject: Re: Newest Linux Journal?
Date: 06 Oct 1994 14:37:46 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Kevin K. Lewis) writes:
>Can anyone tell me if they've received the newest (November?) issue of
>Linux Journal, yet?

I just got the October issue 2 days ago (Tuesday, October 4), somewhat
battered and with several of the back pages slightly torn.
--
Lewis Tanzos - [email-masked] - [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Wieringen van)
Subject: Re: Disk Quotas - limiting space
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 1994 10:59:27 GMT

[email-masked] (G. Browning) wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>Here is a misc. question for ya, if quota going to become available soon?
>I remember quota (and I used it) back with kernels up to 1.1.37, but since
>then I haven't been able to use it.  Are there any new ports?  Anyone working 
>on one?
I am still working on it but not as much as before. I have just got a
bugfix for it which I have put in. I was trying to get QUOTA into the
standard kernel before 1.2. I have send it so Linus several times but
because of the changes in the last patchlevels in the filesystem layer
I always was behind in patching my patches up to te latest version.
If 1.2 comes out soon now and won't include QUOTA as a standard option
I will release a quota-1.34 soon. For now I am busy with some other
things but will try to maintain quota. An no I don't need anyone doing
it for me, it hasn't changed much lateley and it seems to be quite stable.
That is at least on the machines I work on and that are about (5 or 6 at
the moment). And it seems to work for more people because 41 people have
registered.

Maybe I make a pre-release for the people who have registered as systems
that use QUOTA.

Marco.

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Jason Sheu)
Subject: Re: Gnuplot and XWindows ?
Date: 6 Oct 1994 16:34:17 -0400
Reply-To: [email-masked] (Jason Sheu)

Hi,

| From: [email-masked] (Jon Nash)
| Subject: Gnuplot and XWindows ?
| Date: 5 Oct 1994 10:02:23 -0600
| 
| I must be very confused!  I have gnuplot...  I open an xterm window
| and try to run gnuplot.  It says that I don't have a graphics display
| terminal type (or something like that).
| 
| I _thought_ gnuplot ran under X ?!  Does it?  What do I need to do?
| 
| Thanks for any help you can give!
| 
| Jon Nash
| Colorado State University
| Physics Department
| [email-masked]

You need to "set term x11" first in gnuplot. "set term" will show you all
available terminal types.

Regards,

Jason Sheu

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Phil Hughes)
Subject: Re: Next InfoMagic Linux CD's?
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 1994 16:28:24 GMT

JL Gomez ([email-masked]) wrote:
: When will the next release of Linux InfoMagic CD set come out?

There were a few rumors posted.  Facts behind the rumor is that they will
be shipping more like on October 14.  They held up the pressing for
X11R6.1.  For any of you who already have it on order from SSC/Linux
Journal a apologize for the delay but we expect it will be worth the
wait.

The price remains at $20 for this distribution.  I mention this because
there were rumors of a price increase.  E-mail [email-masked] if you need
more information.
-- 
Phil Hughes, Publisher, Linux Journal (206) 527-3385
usually [email-masked], sometimes [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Ka-pui Ko)
Subject: adding a dumb terminal
Date: 5 Oct 1994 16:59:27 GMT

I am thinking of adding a dumb terminal to my machine that is
running Linux. I have an old 286 machine with serial port, with
monitor, with keyborad. 

Is that any additional hardware that I need to get? How do
I config the Linux to recognize that a dumb terminal exits?

Thanks for helping.

kevin

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (E. St. John-Olcayto)
Subject: Softlanding
Date: 6 Oct 1994 12:12:37 GMT
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Hi,
I've been using Linux 0.98 for the last two years via the Softlanding
Software distribution.  I've recently obtained an upgrade (Slackware)
but can anybody tell me whatever happend to Softlanding?

Thanks,
Ender

---
==============================================================================
| Ender St. John-Olcayto                              | "The concept of a    |
| Industrial Control Centre                           |  fuzzy state needs   |
| Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering |  to be clarified"    |
| University of Strathclyde                           |                      |
| Scotland                                            |  Fuzzy Sets and      |
| Tel.:+44 41 552 4400 x2666                          |  Systems             |
| Fax.:+44 41 553 1232                                |                      |
|                                                     |  Dubois and Prade    |
| Email : [email-masked] (preferred)       |                      |
| or    : [email-masked]                     |                      |
==============================================================================

------------------------------

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

The service address, to which questions about the list itself and requests
to be added to or deleted from it should be directed, is:

    Internet: [email-masked]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.misc) via:

    Internet: [email-masked]

Linux may be obtained via one of these FTP sites:
    nic.funet.fi				pub/OS/Linux
    tsx-11.mit.edu				pub/linux
    sunsite.unc.edu				pub/Linux

End of Linux-Misc Digest
******************************