Subject: Re: Press/New Reduced Prices For Alpha AXP Microprocessors (fwd)

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 94 13:16:43 EDT

It would be helpful to have the spec numbers for each chip to go alongside
the price. Do you have that info, or can you tell me where to get it?

Vince 
p.s. My opinion on the matter is to go with DEC, at least for now because of
the following;

1. Dec has an  80x86 simulator for alpha's. I know it runs under OSF/1, but
I don't know about anything else. Anyway, this nifty little trick piece of
software will outrun pentia runinng pentium optimized coe by 40%(Supposedly)

Since it's a simulator, it can run any intel code; dos, windows, os/2 ...

That way you don't lose any apps.

2. If there are Windows apps you HAVE to run, there's Windows NT.

3. I've spent a lot of time dealing with DEC over the last two years, and they
managed to change my opinion about smaller customers getting lousy service from
big computer companies. They are actually pretty good to all their customers.

---

From: Yanni Jew <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 1994 00:52:52 -0400

> the price. Do you have that info, or can you tell me where to get it?

SPEC numbers only really apply to a complete system,
not a cpu chip. However, there was a chart posted
to comp.arch a few months ago with rough SPEC numbers
for "chips". The chart is a bit long, so I can forward
a copy to anyone interested.

Also, since the DEC press releases were posted to
biz.digital.announce, which some people may not
receive, here's how to get the press releases:

	ftp.digital.com in the /pub/Digital/info/pr-news directory.

-yanni