Subject: Re: Testing ~{2bJT~}

From: [email-masked] (Wei Lin)
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1992 07:22:05 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Ya-Gui Wei 亚桂) writes:
>This is a test. This newsgroup will be used exclusively for 
>posting of Chinese text.
>
>这是一个试验。此新闻组为中文专用。
>
>  Wei Ya-Gui   魏亚桂
>
>

I think it's a great start that Yagui began to test building this newsgroup!
我认为魏亚桂试建此中文文件新闻组是一个良好的开端！

Lin Wei
林玮

[email-masked]

----------------------

From [email-masked] Tue, 30 Jun 92 03:12:34 GMT
Article: 21 of alt.chinese.text
Newsgroups: alt.chinese.text
Path: bronze!yawei
Subject: Re: reading HZ news with cxterm, rn, ...
From: [email-masked] (Ya-Gui Wei 亚桂)
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
Keywords: GB HZ parity cxterm rn
Organization: Indiana University
References: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 92 03:12:34 GMT

Those interesting in the hz encoding (���� ) should check out the
file HZ-1.1.tar.Z in ahkcus.org, anonymous ftp directory src/unix.
This file contains the original hz specification proposed by Fung 
Fung Lee 李枫峰.  This file also contains several utilities for
converting between the several encoding methods (those who use cxterm
may want to use the hz2gb utility in that package to read hz postings
for now.)

I just talked to the author of cxterm, Mr. Yongguang Zhang, 张永光.
He promises to eventually support hz and zW encoding. But as these
things typically go, it could take a while -- he's not making any
money from this, you know. :-)

On my part, I am about to release a utility for PC compatibles that
supports both zW and hz encoding. (I originally plan to release it
today but just discover some glitches so will have to postpone it
to tommorrow.)  Essentially, the utility will turn MS-DOS into
Chinese (zw and hz) aware, and it will run in the background without
needing any of your attention.  Once some hz text like 林玮
appears on screen, they will be automatically displayed as Chinese
chars without your intervension.  (A version that supports only zW
and runs only on Hercules video systems has been available in
ahkcus.org:zw/ for a while.  The new release will run on CGA, EGA,
VGA/SVGA, as well as Hercules.  It takes a minimal amount of 
memory and you can loadhi with DOS5 or Desqview.)

Hopefully most of the postings here will be all-Chinese soon. Imagine
conducting flame wars in Chinese!  :-)

  魏亚桂  Ya-Gui Wei

--------------------------------