Subject: [INFO] how to read a.c.t in BIG5 offline

From: [email-masked] (Shih-Kun Huang)
Date: 11 Sep 1993 16:36:59 GMT

Subject: how can I read alt.chinese.text in BIG5 offline

If your usenet sites haven't carried alt.chinese.text.big5
or  your server can't be 8-bits clean, you can try to read
them off-line.

Try anonymous ftp to
ftp.csie.nctu.edu.tw:/pub/Chinese/chinese-text/big5. All files
are in mail folder digest form. You can read them by many ways:
1. by mail reader
   for example, 
   uncompress Sep-1.Z   
   elm -f Sep-1  
or
   mail -f Sep-1
2. convert them to QWK format and read them by any QWK readers in
   your PC. To convert to QWK format, you can get uqwk and some 
   qwk readers in the same site with the directory:
   /pub/unix/uqwk.

If you can't ftp access to our ftp server, you can try BITFTP 
or ftp-mail. 

The following are simple introductions to FTPMAIL and BITFTP.

            FTPMAIL

            FTPMAIL is a mail server available to anyone  who  can  send
            and  receive  electronic  mail  to  and from Internet sites.
            This includes most workstations that have an e-mail  connec-
            tion to the outside world, and CompuServe users.  You do not
            need to be directly on the Internet. Here's how to do it.
            You send mail to  [email-masked].   In  the  message
            body,  give  the  name of the anonymous FTP host and the FTP
            commands you want to run.  The server will run anonymous FTP
            for  you  and mail the files back to you.  To get a complete
            help file, send a message with no  subject  and  the  single
            word  "help"  in the body.  The following is an example mail
            session that should get you a listing of the  files  in  the
            selected directory and the file Sep-1.Z.  The listing is
            useful in case there are other files you may  be  interested
            in.
                 % mail [email-masked]
                 Subject:
                 reply [email-masked]    (where you want files mailed)
                 connect ftp.csie.nctu.edu.tw
                 cd /pub/Chinese/chinese-text/big5
                 dir
                 binary
                 uuencode              (or btoa if you have it)
                 get Sep-1.Z
                 quit
                 %
            A signature at the end of the message is acceptable as  long
            as it appears after "quit."
            All retrieved files will  be  split  into  60KB  chunks  and
            mailed  to  you.   You then remove the mail headers and con-
            catenate them into one file, and then uudecode or  atob  it.
            Once  you've got the desired distribution, extract the files
            from it by following the directions under FTP.

            BITFTP

            BITFTP is a mail server for BITNET users.  You send it elec-
            tronic mail messages requesting files, and it sends you back
            the files by electronic mail.  BITFTP currently serves  only
            users  who send it mail from nodes that are directly on BIT-
            NET, EARN, or NetNorth.   BITFTP  is  a  public  service  of
            Princeton University.  Here's how it works.
            To use BITFTP, send mail containing  your  FTP  commands  to
            BITFTP@PUCC.   For  a  complete  help file, send HELP as the
            message body.
            The following is the message body you should send to BITFTP:
                 FTP  ftp.csie.nctu.edu.tw NETDATA
                 USER  anonymous
                 PASS your Internet e-mail address (not your bitnet address)
                 CD  /pub/Chinese/chinese-text/big5
                 DIR
                 BINARY
                 GET  Sep-1.Z
                 QUIT
            Once you've got the desired distribution, extract the  files
            from it by following the directions under FTP.
            Questions about BITFTP can be directed to MAINT@PUCC on BIT-
            NET.

--