Subject: Big-5 in cxterm

From: Stephen G Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1991 10:51:11 -0500

Val Luck writes:
 > I use big5 more than I use GB, and I have been told that there is a way
 > to use cxterm with BIG5 codes?  (et's BIG5 codes)  Is there a simple
 > way to do this?  Can the yitian's "box" files be converted into a
 > .tit file?  Someone told me it was possible, but I forget how, and seemed
 > to mess things up!

Cxterm works fine with BIG-5 codes.  Of course you have to use a BIG-5
font, for instance the HKU BIG-5 font, hku-ch16, which comes with
cxterm.  There are also ET BIG-5 fonts taipei15 and taipei24 (Yi Tian
compatible) which are available elsewhere.  Big-5 input methods for
cxterm are provided by ETZY.tit and PY-b5.tit, which come with cxterm.
The first of these is compatible with ET's Zhu Yin input, while the
second is based on Pin Yin with tones.

I don't think it is possible in general to convert Yi Tian .box files
to .tit files, because .tit files are only appropriate for entering
single characters, not phrases (Ci Hui).  I think .box files are often
used to enter phrases.  But maybe an expert on .box and .tit files should
answer this.

Stephen G. Simpson               [email-masked]
Department of Mathematics        +1 814 863-0775
Pennsylvania State University    home: +1 814 238-2274
University Park, PA 16802