Subject: Re: CCCII, EACC, and 9term questions

From: Hideyuki Morimoto 319-335-5886 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 93 21:34 CDT

In reference to the posting related to CCCII/EACC, while I have
no information regarding the second question, some data may be
provided pertaining to the first point.

> 1.  Are CCCII and EACC (two multibyte codesets, the former used by
> libraries in Taiwan and Hong Kong and the latter by the Library of
> Congress, RLIN, and OCLC) identical?  If not, what are the major and
> minor differences?  Is translation between the two non-trivial?

CCCII (Chinese Characater Code for Information Interchange) was
developed in Taiwan prior to REACC.  The RLG then developed REACC, the
administration of which was then transferred to the Library of Congress
to become, with the appellation EACC, the American National Standard
for East Asian Character Codes for Bibliographic Use
(ANSI Z39.64-1989).  EACC is an amalgam of CNS, CCCII, Guojia Biaojun,
JIS, Korean Standard Code, and other codes; however, as was suspected,
it is apparent that the REACC development heavily relied on the already-
existing CCCII system.  EACC, thus, presents a trace of similarity
to CCCII.  For example, all characters for I-hs"uan Lin-chi lu have
the identical numeric codes in both EACC and CCCII.

     character for                 EACC #             CCCII #
      I                             215244             215244
      hs"uan                        214B30             214B30
      Lin                           215425             215425
      chi                           3F4926             3F4926
      lu                            215D74             215D74

Nevertheless, some characters represented in EACC are missing in
CCCII.  In other words, EACC and CCCII are not completely identical.
For instance, some characters forged in Japan after Chinese character
elements (usually referred to as "kokuji's," which are *NOT* kana's)
are not included in CCCII.

     character for                 EACC #        JIS #      CCCII #
      kogarashi (cold blast)        69515E        515E       missing
      maro (an obsolete pronoun for
             first person singular) 694B7B        4B7B       missing

Translation between EACC and CCCII for those codes appearing in both
systems should not be complicated.  The CJK Thesaurus, for example, is
available on RLIN.  In each record representing a unique character, the
numeric code of EACC as well as CCCII, if there is one, is entered,
which would enable use of this Thesaurus as a rendition table between
the two systems.

Hideyuki Morimoto
University Libraries, University of Iowa
[email-masked]