Subject: Standards Related to Chinese Computing

From: Rupert Zhu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1991 23:37:23 -0400

Standards Related to Chinese Computing
                  ======================================

International Standards:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ISO-646  --- ISO 7-bit character coding set for information interchange
             (Date: 1983-07-01)
ISO-2022 --- ISO 7-bit and 8-bit character coding sets
             (Coding extension techniques)
             (Date: 1986-05-01)
ISO-4873 --- ISO 8-bit character coding set for information interchange
             (Rules and structure of codings)
ISO-6429 --- ISO 7-bit and 8-bit character coding sets
             (Modification mechanism for fonts equipments)

National Standards of China (Guo Biao):
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
GB-1988-80 --- Corresponds to ISO-646
GB-2311-80 --- Corresponds to ISO-2022
GB-2312-80 --- Chinese character coding set for information interchange
               (The basic set)
GB-5007-85 --- Set of Chinese (Song) fonts of 24 * 24
GB-5199-85 --- Set of Chinese (Song) fonts of 15 * 16
GB-6345-86 --- Set of Chinese (Song) fonts of 32 * 32
GB-7589-?? --- Chinese character coding set for information interchange
               (The second auxiliary set)
GB-7590-?? --- Chinese character coding set for information interchange
               (The fourth auxiliary set)

Compiled by: Rupert Zhu
Date:        July 11, 1991
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Note:  The information in this list is extracted from the book
       <<Zhong1 Wen2 Xin4 Xi1 Chu4 Li3 Ji4 Shu4>>, published in
       1990 in Beijing.
            These standards were mentioned in the book here or there,
       but the actual standards were not provided in the text.
            This list is incomplete.  Since the first and the third
       auxiliary set of GuoBiao coding were not mentioned in the book,
       I don't know the exact GuoBiao series number for them.  Also,
       some recent ISO standard seems not included in the list.
            More information about standards related to Chinese
       computing is welcome.  I will update this list from time to
       time.

Rupert Zhu
Dept of Combinatorics and Optimization
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, N2L 3E5
====================================================================