Subject: Propose a Standard for End-Of-Line

From: Rupert Zhu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1992 14:16:41 -0500

A Uniform Approach for End-Of-Line
                 ==================================

      After E-mail communications with several MacIntosh user/experts, I
feel it is feasible to propose the following "standard":

(1) Different platforms (systems) may have their own design for end-of-line,
    but a "standard format" is necessary for network communication.

(2) The Standard:  All end-of-line mark should contain an LF (ASCII 10).
                   It may also contain another character in addition to
                   the LF.
                   (Under this standard a single LF or a pair CR/LF is
                   valid, but a single CR is invalid.)

(3) It is each netter's responsibility to make conversions at his/her own
    site, if necessary, to conform to the above proposed standard.
    (UNIX users and MS-DOS users do not need any conversion, while some
    Mac users may need.  Wang Huangxin's message provided an easy way
    for such conversion for Mac users.)

(4) All conversion programs will assume that the above proposed standard
    is followed.

Hopefully, this "standard" will eliminate the current confusion in the
"Chinese Poems Exchange Network".

Thank you for your attention!

-- Rupert Zhu
   January 4, 1992
========================================================================