Subject: BoPoMoFo and PinYin

From: "J.B. WANG" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 90 10:01:00 EDT

Folks,

Thanks to Mr. Joseph Kuo at Steven's CS department, a BoPoMoFo and PinYin
(mainland version) mapping table is made available in
~/ch-series of anonymous, 192.12.216.114 (chiris.stevens-tech.edu) for
ftp. For those who have PostScript access, bopomofo.ps is sufficient.
bopomofo.pin is the ChText source, and bopomofo.txt is in GB format. In other
words, the ones who have ch-series installed only need bopomofo.pin, and
$chtext bopomofo.pin bopomofo.txt
will give you GB output, and
$chtex -w bopomofo.txt
will give you bopomofo.ps PostScript output.
Those who have only GB compatible software (such as Byx, or CCDOS) other than
ch-series, bopomofo.txt will be good. But I don't think you can view or
print it with Byx 1.1 and most versions of CCDOS software, because that
perticular section of BoPoMoFo symbols does not exist in these software.

Of course, this is mostly for people with Chinese educated in Taiwan, HongKong
or old China.

Sincerely yours,

J.B. Wang