Subject: GB, GB2PS and GB tables

From: Wind In His Hair <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1992 16:55:00 GMT

Dear all,

  thankyou for all help given regarding decompressing and untarring
files;  I now have a working version of GB2PS which seems to be very
useful.

  I am hoping to get an electronic copy of the GB spec.  I have a copy of a
file which I'm printing out.  The file is introduced as follows :

 `The following is a pinyin index to the GB code, encoded in the `zW' format.
 The data is taken from a HyperCard Chinese dictionary stack that I have been
 working on and has released two previous versions.
  The data is formated in the following way.  We first have a line with the
 pronunciations, they are the PinYin, the Wade-Gile, and the Yale.  The we have
 the lines starting with the tone expressed as a digit, followed by the
 characters in GB code.'

  It claims to be PINYIN.DATA from Ed Lai (at the top of page 1).  I am
unsure as to how this file tells me anything about the GB code; can anyone
enlighten me ?

  Also can anyone tell me if there is a version of the GB spec available via
anonymous ftp anywhere ?

Thank you,

Danny
+++++

Danny Cox, CADDETC, University Of Leeds, 171 Woodhouse Lane, Leeds, LS2 3AR, UK
Phone (010-532) 334457 Internet : [email-masked];
BITNET : [email-masked]

---

From: Huangxin Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1992 12:38:00 EST

pinyin.data give you an index between pinyin and GB.  It simply lists
all the chinese character in GB for a pinyin.  One of the application I
wrote using this table is a little fun program call "Randpy" (or ADrandpy
on Macintosh) which randomly display chinese characters on the screen, with
its pinyin.

If you mean GB table is the table to give you a bitmap of Chinese character
for each GB, many Chinese editor/viewer have it.  E.g., GB2PS has such
a big table with the bitmap in PostScript format.  Usually GB table has
not information about this pinyin of each character, that's why Ed Lai's
table is quite useful.

		Huangxin Wang 王璜鑫, University of Pennsylvania