Subject: Follow-up: Chinese Telegram Code

From: Rupert Zhu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1991 18:41:00 -0400

Hi, Friends:

      Thanks to all of you.  After posting the message "Codebook for Chinese
Telegram", I have received about ten replies.  The suggestions are summarized
as follows, (I simply list them here).

(1) The Qu1-Wei4-Ma3 of GuoBiao is identical with telegraph code;

(2) Some version of CCDOS provides "input with telegram code".  So one
    can simply enter the numbers in that mode and see what will be shown
    on the screen;

(3) A software maintained by Ed Lai also has a "input with telegram code" mode
    and may supposedly do the same thing.

(4) Several warm hearted netters in Ottawa, Los Angeles, etc.. offerred
    help to translate the telegram or clue to related information.

      After receiving these messages, I called Liu Jintao and got the
un-decoded telegram.  The contents is:  3018   2399.   I then checked
the Qu1-Wei4-Ma3 of GuoBiao.  The first number corresponds to  Jing4
(quiet), while the second number is not a valid one in GuoBiao table.
This translation does not make sense.

      Meanwhile, Liu Jintao made an overseas telephone call to China
and asked an operator in China to help.  Finally, the operator found
out the two words:   Mu3  Gu4    (Mom passed away).   I am very sorry
to hear this.

      Now the question is still open.  Does anyone has a table (as an
electronic file) to map between GuoBiao code and telegram code ?

      Thank you all !

-- Ruopeng Zhu