Subject: Retaining Word and Nisus formatting in HC 1.5 TAI-CHI conversion

From: Xincun Huang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1991 15:56:00 PST

> * HanziConverter 1.5 converts all TEXT files between JianTi and
>FanTi. I use Word to save the file into TEXT ONLY format, convert it,
>and then open and redo the layout. It's "bearable", not bad.

This is exactly the problem for which I was trying to find an
alternative.

If you have a research paper, with hundreds of footnotes, with fonts,
rulers, style sheets, contents, indexing, cross-indexing, etc., then it
is probably easier to retype the Chinese than to reformat the entire
paper.  Or one could save the file as text only, convert, and cut and
paste each selection of Chinese text.

What I was suggesting is that one can use HC 1.5 to change between
TAI and CHI and *retain all the original formatting* by writing a
short Pascal program that removes the text from a MS Word
document file.  The Nisus GREP/macro/push/pop combination offers
a nicer solution with the result that approaches "conversion" of the
file.

However, none of the above solutions approach the ideal that a
formatted high-level word processing document (Nisus or Word) be
convertible as transparently as TEXT ONLY files are.

Thanks to all those who suggested how to combine Mac systems:  it
seems to work very well.

Does anyone know anything about font prices, and whether there are
outline fonts?

Roger Hart
UCLA