Subject: Needed: TeX guru

From: Stephen G Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1991 21:38:06 -0400

TEX GURU NEEDED !!!

I wonder if any TeX guru out there would volunteer to help with a
special project.  We need a few lines of extremely clever TeX code to
make the Poor Man macros work with BIG-5 coded Chinese characters.
This has come to a head because, as a result of Mark Leisher's
efforts, there is now a way to generate Poor Man BIG-5 traditional
character fonts, similar in quality to the Poor Man GB simplified
character fonts.

A little background.  The Poor Man macros are the creation of Thomas
Ridgeway ([email-masked]).  Their purpose is to
allow inclusion of GB coded Chinese characters in TeX documents.  They
work very well.  Now we want to modify them to work with BIG-5 codes.
Problems arise because the second byte of a BIG-5 code can be in the
ASCII range.

The logical person to tackle this would be Thomas Ridgeway himself,
but he is very busy, and he has already contributed so much.  So, if
you are a TeXpert and would be willing to donate a few hours, please
let me know and I will send you the details.  But don't even try this
unless you have a thorough knowledge of TeX internals, at the level of
Dirty Tricks (Appendix 4 of The TeXbook).

Stephen G. Simpson               [email-masked]
Department of Mathematics        +1 814 863-0775
Pennsylvania State University    home: +1 814 238-2274
University Park, PA 16802