Subject: (forward) Re: printing byx files

From: "mr. yawei" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1991 22:05:13 -0500

I am trying to help forwarding the following message to CCNET. Several
people have attempted to post the message numerous times without
success.  If you see this, consider yourself lucky.

Ya-Gui Wei

----------------------------------------------------------------------
From: [email-masked] (Fung Fung Lee)
To: rzhu@watmath
Subject: Request to forward

I have tried to submit the following message to CCNET-L several times
without getting any response from CCNET-L.  No rejection, acknowledgement,
or distribution of my message from CCNET has been observed, although
I can receive postings from others, and I have previously posted messages
on CCNET.

Could you please forward this message to CCNET?

Fung F. Lee

----------------------------------------------------------------------
>Date: Fri, 5 Jul 91 20:29:18 -0700
>From: lee (Fung Fung Lee)
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: printing byx files

[email-masked]  wrote

> ahkcus.org [192.55.187.25] has a b2g which converts GB to BIG5 and BIG5 to
> GB. I compiled it on unix and I believe it works on msdos machine also.

Also available on ahkcus.org is the original GB<->BIG5 conversion program,
Hanzi Converter (HC) or hc.  Actually, there was a recent announcement
about it on CCNET-L on June 21, 1991.

I was surprised to find out that most of the source code of b2g, and the
conversion table files were actually the same as those of hc.
Under these circumstances, I usually expect the newer program (b2g) should
in some way enhance the original program (hc).
Unfortunately, b2g removes some of the useful functionalities of hc!

> It seems to me that both hz2ps and news2ps do the same thing, converting big5
> to ps.
> Is there any difference?

There was also a recent annoucement about "hz2ps 2.0" on CCNET-L on
June 11, 1991.  Since the original message already answered this and some
other related questions pretty well, let me repeat it in the following.
To further clarify the message, parts of the man (manual) page of hz2ps
are also included.

(By the way, someone reported "hz2ps 2.0" printed a useless warning about
the lack of some font file.  This has been fixed. You may want to re-ftp
hz2ps from ahkcus.org if you ftp'ed it before June 13, 1991.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Date:         Tue, 11 Jun 1991 13:45:35 -0700
>Reply-To: Fung Fung Lee <[email-masked]>
>Sender: Chinese Computing Network <[email-masked]>
>From: Fung Fung Lee <[email-masked]>
>Subject:      hz2ps version 2.0 available for ftp
>Comments: To: [email-masked]
>To: Multiple recipients of list CCNET-L <CCNET-L@UGA>

This is a software release announcement.

hz2ps (version 2.0) - convert a hanzi (GB/BIG) file to PostScript
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hz2ps 2.0 is an significantly improved version of hz2ps 1.0, which was
released back in 1989. The bugs which limit the number of pages that can be
printed have been fixed. It now accepts both GB (HGB) and BIG5 files.

Style files used in v1.0 are no longer supported; instead the various
options can now be more conveniently specified in the command line.
The program supports both horizontal and vertical printing mode with or
without page numbers.  Other printing options and fonts can also be
selected. Please see the man page "hz2ps.1" for details.
(e.g. try "nroff -man hz2ps.1")

The program "hz2ps 2.0" is now available on the ftp site "ahkcus.org".
The pertinent file are
ahkcus.org: src/unix/hz2ps-2.0.tar.Z
ahkcus.org: src/unix/hzfont.tar.Z

Enjoy!

Fung F. Lee

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
% nroff -man hz2ps.1  | <extract parts of the file>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

     6 June 1991                                                   hz2ps(1)

     NAME
          hz2ps (version 2.0) - convert a hanzi (GB/BIG) file to PostScript

     SYNTAX
          hz2ps [ options ] [ file ]

     DESCRIPTION
          The hz2ps program converts a GB (HGB) or BIG5 hanzi file to
          PostScript. It supports both horizontal and vertical printing
          mode with or without page numbers.  Other printing options and
          fonts can also be selected.

          The possible options are

          -gb  use GB encoding. This is the default.

          -big use BIG5 encoding.

          -h   horizontal printing mode. This is the default.

          -v   vertical printing mode.

          -margin left  right  bottom  top
               margins measured in inches from lower left corner of a page.
               Default is -margin 1 7.5 1 10.

          -ls line-spacing
               line height (width) in horizontal (vertical) printing mode,
               measured in points (1 in = 72 points).  Default is -ls 15.

          -htab n
               number of hanzi between two adjacent tabs.  Default is 4.

          -hf hanzi-font  point-size  inter-hanzi-spacing
               measure in points. Default is -hf Beijing 10 1.  Note that
               point-size is not the same as bitmap size, see -hbm below.

          -hbm m
               use an m x m hanzi bitmap matrix. Default is -hbm 24.

          -af ascii-font  point-size  width  descender
               Default is -af Courier 10 6 2.

          -pnp left  bottom
               positions to print page number, measured in inches from the
               lower left corner of a page.  Default is -pnp 4.15 0.5.

          -pns page-number
               starting page number.  Default is 1.

          -nopn
               no page number printed.

          The font files and the PostScript prolog file should all be under
          the directory HZDIR (setenv HZDIR the-hanzi-directory).

     FILES
          Each bitmap file contains the bitmaps of consecutive valid code
          in ascending order.  The bitmap of each hanzi is scanned from
          left to right, and top to bottom.  For the NxN/8 bytes belonging
          to an N dot hanzi, the MSB of the first byte is the upper left
          bit; the LSB of the last byte is the lower right bit.  A black
          (white) pixel is represented by a 1 (0).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fung F. Lee