Subject: Software Announcement (zW-HZ reader)

From: "Ya-Gui Wei ~{QG9p~}" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1992 10:48:10 -0500

A package of programs for MS-DOS systems that reads zW/HZ coded Chinese
text is now available.  It is currently available in the following
anonymous ftp sites (login ftp, password anything, binary mode):

  cs.purdue.edu:pub/ygz/zW-hz/zwdos.zip  (curtesy of Zhang Yongguang)

You will need the MS-DOS program "pkunzip.exe" for unpacking the
package. (pkunzip should be available in ahkcus.org:src/pc/pkz110eu.exe.)

Program features:

  *  Read Chinese e-mail and news effortlessly. After loading the
software, you can use any of your ms-dos programs for Chinese. Your
programs should run just exactly as it would under ms-dos, except
that Chinese texts are automatically displayed as Chinese
characters without your intervention.

  *  High degree of compatibility with ASCII-based programs.

  *  Reads both zW and HZ codes, simultaneously.

  *  Runs on CGA, EGA, VGA, and Hercules monochrome graphic systems.
(Doesn't look very good on CGA though.)

  *  Small memory consumption - it takes only 27KB of memory (50KB
on CGA). If you use DOS5 or QEMM, you can load it into high
memory area so that it doesn't take up any DOS memory.

  *  Inteligent Chinese (pinyin) input. Most of the times you just
type in the pinyin and the program chooses the right character
among the homophones for you.

  *  Personal non-profit use is free of charge.

  Ya-Gui Wei  魏亚桂