Subject: Re: Hanzi-table.hz and hanzi-table.gb

From: XiaoFei Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1992 20:20:20 EDT

A Chinese character can be coded using two ascii chars ( derived from
GB by droping its high bit ) and such scheme is called Hanzi.  Chinese
encoded in HZ can be transmitted via mail without going through the
uuencode/uudecode bussiness and can be read on line using proper
decoders. Please refer HZ.spec of Lee Fung Fung in the package HZ-2.0
available from ahkcus.org:./src/unix for exact info.

I have completed a table of the two ascii chars and the Chinese char
they represent from GB table ( a very trivial job ), and I call it
Hanzi table.  Same as GB table, it is divided as three parts:
1) Symbols
2) Easy words by alphabetic order
3) Difficult words by radicals.

The table can be used to enter Chinese Charaters by their HZ codes.  It
is useful for entering some symbols and very difficult characters which
may not be easy to do by other methods.

I have put the table in two formats:
HZ format: hanzi-table.hz
GB format: hanzi-table.gb
and put them to crl.nmsu.edu:./incoming

People who use yawei's zwdos may see an extra ~ in hanzi-table.hz
because yawei has not treated two ~'s as one ~ as described in HZ spec.
The problem will be fixed in the next release of zwdos.

It is a trivial job but since a number of people have shown interest, I
think it is better to make it complete. Sorry for wasting net resource.