Subject: Re: your mail

From: Wei Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 23:18:18 -0400

Here is the info I just dug out of the web (check
http://www.starglobe.com.sg/):

xMASS version 2.4 is a set of efficient and user-friendly software
tools that provides a multilingual environment for both end users
and application developers. It provides a multilingual input
server, a Unicode based text editor, a universal X-terminal
emulator and a comprehensive set of C language libraries that
contain APIs suitable for the development of mutilingual
applications. It can help to ease the development of multilingual
applications and will speed up software localization effort. It
can also be integrated as part of application modules to enhance
input methods and input environment for multiple natural
languages.

=2E.....

The xMASS version 2.4 offering consists of three components,
namely, MINE (Multilingual Input for Novice and Expert users),
MLedit (Multilingual editor) and UXterm (Universal X-terminal).

           ***    ***    ***

So my guess is that it does not turn a Unix system magically into
a "Chinese environment". I'm not saying that it is not good. In
fact, I was pretty impressed by the MASS demo back in 1993 or
1994. (It is not that I am really knowledgeable about things --
just that a friend of mine was on the MASS team at the National
University of Singapore.)

Regards,
--
Wei Wang    http://home.merit.edu/~weiwang/
~{=CD=F5=CE=B0~}    [email-masked]       (313) 764-2874

On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Neil Walker wrote:

->I have heard of a product called MASS from Singapore. It has Unicode
->support in on XWindows. I am sure there must be more info on the Web.