Subject: New Software Announcement: HC 3.0

From: FARZ000 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1993 09:37:31 EST

I've made an announcement on the network.  Since I don't subscribe to
CC-NET, would you please post it to CC-NET for me, thanks.  -Ricky

Software Release Announcement: Hanzi Converter 3.0
==================================================

Hanzi Converter (HC) 3.0 is now available for ftp on ifcss.org.  This
version supports the showing of multiple mappings; and the conversion
table has been revised and many corrections have been made.

unix version
    ifcss.org:software/unix/hc-30.tar.Z

mac version (this is a lazy version, doesn't have the usual Mac GUI):
    ifcss.org:software/mac/convert/hc-3.0L.hqx

dos version
    ifcss.org:software/mac/convert/hc-30.zip

hc(1)                    USER COMMANDS                      hc(1)

Name
     Hanzi Converter, hc - convert a GB file to a BIG-5 file,  or
     a BIG-5 file to a GB file

Syntax
     hc -m _ m_ o_ d_ e -map _ m_ a_ p_ p_ i_ n_ g [ -t _ t_ 1 _ t_ 2 ... ] < fi
le

Description
     The program converts a GB file to a BIG-5 file, or  a  BIG-5
     file  to  a  GB  file.   GB (GuoBiao) refers to the standard
     implementation of "GB2312-80" of Mainland  China,  in  which
     the  two bytes representing a GB code have their most signi-
     ficant bit set to 1.  BIG-5 refers to the Big Five  standard
     published  in  1984  by  Taiwan's  Institute for Information
     Industry. Currently, most popular Chinese systems  and  pro-
     grams use either GB or BIG-5.

     The possible options are

     -m   Conversion mode, either g2b or b2g, for GB to BIG-5, or
          BIG-5 to GB, respectively.

     -map Mapping mode, either one, all, or allbutsymbols.  Since
          the  mapping  between GB and BIG-5 is not unique, users
          may request the translation to return  the  first  map-
          ping,  all  the mappings, or all the mappings for hanzi
          but only one mapping for symbols (e.g.  there  are  two
          "comma" glyphs defined in BIG-5).

     -t _ f_ i_ l_ e_ s
          Specify the hanzi conversion table files, usually  just
          "hc.tab" as described below.

Conversion Table File Format
     The table file contains newline-terminated mapping  entries.
     Each  entry is a two-byte GB code followed by a list of two-
     byte BIG5 codes.  Each entry line cannot exceed 256  charac-
     ters.   Users may build their own separate table files.  The
     bundled conversion table file is called "hc.tab".

Copyright
     Copyright (C) 1988,1989,1990,1993  Fung  F.  Lee  and  Ricky
     Yeung

     All Rights Reserved.

     This program and the  table  file  are  NOT  in  the  public
     domain.

     You may copy and distribute verbatim  copies  of  hc  source

                Last change: March 12 1993                   1

hc(1)                    USER COMMANDS                      hc(1)

     code  files,  table  file(s), and documentation files as you
     receive it for non-commercial purposes.

     If you wish to incorporate parts of hc into other  programs,
     write  to  the authors.  We have not yet worked out a simple
     rule that can be stated here, but we will often permit this.

     This software is provided "as is" without  warranty  of  any
     kind,  either  expressed or implied, including, but not lim-
     ited to, the implied warranty of fitness  for  a  particular
     purpose.

Authors
     Ricky Yeung and Fung F. Lee

Bugs
     Bug   reports   and   comments    should    be    sent    to
     [email-masked] or [email-masked]

Disclaimer
     This software is provided "as is" and the  authors  disclaim
     all  warranties with regard to this program and the correct-
     ness of the mapping table file.

     This software has no connection with our employers.