Subject: GB symbols arranged in reversed order ?

From: [email-masked] (Jing-Shin Chang)
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 1994 08:23:24 +0800

Hi, ccnetters,

I found that the special symbol GB:a7b6 (upper case X) and a7b7 (upper case PHI)
and their lower-case version: GB: a7e6 (phi) and a7e7 (x) are in different
order. (Intuitively, it should be PHI, X, ..., phi, x..., isn't it?) I got
such a GB code table from a PostScript hardcopy, which is generate by a
program I got from ifcss (or cnd?) one or two years ago.

When I checked such situation with cxterm with both 'cclib16s' and
'cclib16f', such reversed order is still the same. Therefore, I am wondering
if the official GB code really assigned the codes in this way
(... X, PHI, ..., phi, x ...) or someone who compiled those font files
(or someone who provided a code list) had made some mistake such that the
characters are arranged so strangely.)

In ETen's Big5 mapping, both the upper case and lower case symbols are in the
same order, i.e, ... PHI (C849), X (C84A), ... phi (a7e6), x (a7e7) ... ;
in fact, I would guess that ETen's extension in this part is copied from GB's
special symbols, since the char sequences are the same for all such
special symbols, except for the above two swapped characters.

If the official GB codes are in fact has the same order for the PHI/X and
phi/x characters, then I guess many font files in ifcss.org need to be
re-examined. Any comments or information? My mapping table is wrong?
Thanks for your information.

Jing-Shin -^^-