Subject: GB12345

From: Doug Schiffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 1994 17:09:00 -0500

On Monday, 1-31-94, "L.S.Ng" wrote:

 >From: "L.S.Ng" <ur-valhalla!soton.ac.uk!L.S.Ng1>
 >Hi,
 >
 >Where did you see the GB12345 specification? Is it with Chinese Star?
 >Where can I get a font file for that?

Alas, I don't have the actual standards document. (Does anyone out
there?) I've picked up some information about it from various
places. I got quite a bit of cross-reference information from the
Unicode cross reference tables.  It tells me that GB12345 character
[67,94] = Big5 AEF9, for example.

>From examining the table, I noticed that GB12345 has entries on rows
88 to 93.  GB2312 stops at row 87.  From examining a few of these
"extra" characters, I noticed that they are all cases where more
than one traditional form  maps to a GB2312 simplified form.

As for a font file, I wish I had one.  In principle, the Unicode
xref table could be used to construct one.  There's a problem, however.
The table has only one entry under the GB column, and sometimes I think
that some other GB standard (such as GB 7589-87) has the same character,
and it takes priority.  I reasoned this out because there are a lot
of gaps in the listing for the 12345 set.  If I sort it in order of
GB number, I find the following list (row 88 and above):

        GB12345 list
                      Page   1

GB     Unicode Big5 JIS    KSC
====== ======= ==== ====== ======
1-8801   896C  C4FC
1-8802   95C6  C1F3 1-7020
1-8803   9336  BFF6 1-6870
1-8804   5F46  B9FB        1-6580
1-8805   8514  BDB3 0-7289 0-6059
1-8806   7E94  C5D7 0-6988 1-7554
1-8810   9F63  C4D5 0-8381
1-8811   5679  BEB4
1-8814   9F15  C35D 0-8374
1-8816   5641  E4FA 1-2231 1-7207
 .... (205 more entries) ....

I'm missing 1-8807, 8808, 8809, 8812, 8813...

BTW:  In the Unicode list, 0-XXXX stands for GB2312, 1-XXXX is GB12345.
A similar arrangement applies to the JIS & KSC standards.

Below row 88, if the simplified character is the same as the traditional,
the Unicode xref table only lists the GB2312 form.  But above row 88, the
GB12345 set should be fully represented, yet isn't <sigh>.

 >FYI, the standard GB left region 8 to 15 undefined. Those in NJSTAR is
 >defined by the author himself.

I was wondering if that's what was going on.  Thanks.