Subject: Re: Two questions

From: XI HongYu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 10:57:14 SGP

Dear Lars Bo Christensen,

I'm not sure is there a standard (China Gov or ISO) for tone pinyin code
page.  If you dev a set of font, you can use for yourself.  But other one
may creat another font set.  You cannot share files with other person.

If you really need to build tone pinyin code.  You may need use COMBINE
system.  It means if one normally one char use one byte,  but if the char
with tone, it will take 2 byte.   For example, "ren(3)" (people) will use
4 bytes,  3 bytes for "ren" and 1 byte for tone.  But it will only display
3 char position on screen.

Thai and Vietnamese have same problem.  They are use COMBINE system to
mark tone.

  /------------------------+----------------------------\  XX   XX IIII
  | XI, HongYu  奚红宇 |  RS/6000, ASEAN/South Asia |   XX XX   II
  | eml: [email-masked] |  IBM World Trade Asia Corp |    XXX    II
  | Tel: (65) 320-1992     |  80 Anson Road, IBM Towers |    XXX    II
  | Fax: (65) 225-9444     |  Singapore 079907          |   XX XX   II
  \------------------------+----------------------------/  XX   XX IIII