Subject: Re: Poor Man's TeX fonts

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 May 91 03:22:01 MDT

Thanks for the reminder Mr. Bin Zhang :-)

OK folks.  It's Teusday, so my estimation was off a little, but I got
some things done.  Thanks go to Mr. Fung (and friend) of the FEL for
testing the original Big5 macro files (I've made a few spelling
changes).

One note about the Big5 macros:  Big5 Chinese can only be used in one
size because of the fact that there are 190 character in a Big5 row as
opposed to 94 in a GB row.  There wasn't enough room in each font to
make the larger size characters as well as the normal size characters.

I've added some more documentation that should help with generating
and installing the fonts and special instructions on how to set PMT up
in your own account.  All of Thomas Ridgeway's original documentation
has been kept.  The files "INSTALL" and "USE" give more detailed
information on installing and using Poor Man's TeX.  This
documentation is still a little sloppy, but it's a little more to the
point than what came before.  It'll get cleaned up more in the future.

In addition to the new documentation files, I've added sample files
showing the use of PMT with LaTeX files, and some samples that show
how to mix different fonts (e.g. Simplified and Traditional).  I've
also added conversion utilities for converting Chinese, Japanese, and
Korean text into a form PMT can use.  Currently, the PMT system works
with 8-bit GB and Big5 Chinese, EUC Japanese, and 8-bit KS Hangul.

Finally, the PMT system has been subdivided into directories to try
and make it more clear which files do what.

The new PMT system is available by anonymous ftp as:
crl.nmsu.edu:pub/misc/pmtex-1.1.tar.Z  [128.123.1.14]

The pre-built GB Simplified and Traditional Chinese fonts are
available as:
crl.nmsu.edu:pub/chinese/fonts/pmt-tfm/*  [128.123.1.14]
             pub/chinese/fonts/pmt-300pk/*

The pre-built Japanese fonts are available as:
crl.nmsu.edu:pub/japanese/fonts/pmt-tfm/*  [128.123.1.14]
             pub/japanese/fonts/pmt-300pk/*

The pre-built Korean fonts are available as:
crl.nmsu.edu:pub/korean/pmtex-korean-fonts.tar.Z  [128.123.1.14]

** NOTE:  All of the pre-built fonts are for 300dpi printers.

As always, if you have trouble with building, installing, or using the
system, please send me email.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]                      "I laughed.
Mark Leisher                                I cried.
Computing Research Lab                          I fell down.
New Mexico State University                        It changed my life."
Las Cruces, NM                     - Rich [Cowboy Feng's Space Bar and Grille]