Subject: Summary of responses on how using FAX modem to send Chinese

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1991 15:55:16 DNT

Since I send my request to the net, I got about ten replies. Here is summary of
 the replies. I hope netters can benefit from it.
1. Most FAX modem types accept graphics file format, like PCX, IMG,TIF(F).
2. There are currenly two (or three) utility prgram available to convert GB to
PCX. One is NJSTAR version 1.2, other GB2PCX. Both can be down-loaded from ftp
site ahkcus.org (192.55.187.25) under subdirectory src/pc (src/pc/NJSTAR).
3. Both of the utility prgrams use only 16x16 Chinese font when converting gb
to PCX. One netter wrote that BYX. 2.1 can also convert gb to PCX, I myself use
s BYX 2.0 (XLBR),  so I am not in the position to verify it.
4. Both programs I tried give less resolution than I get from 9p printer using
same 16x16 font.
5. Several netter mentioned that FAX modem used to coming with software that ca
n intercept or re-direct printer output. The printer type is limited to Epson M
X-80. Program that comes with my fax modem accepts both Epson MX-80 and IBM gra
phics printer, both of them 9p.

My conclusion: To send Chinese text by fax modem, you either live with low reso
lution or write a utility that can use high resolution font like 24x24. Printer
capture should include more currenly popular printer like HP II series.
My fax modem is HEDAKA 2400/9600. internal, included software is BITCOM (for
data communication) and BITFAX SR for sending and receiving FAX transmission.

If you have more updated information, please let me share with you. send your
reply directly my account since I am not on the list.
cheer. Guagfan Xu