Subject: A utility to label a graphic in Chinese Char.

From: Jialong He <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1993 14:43:50 +0100

Hello,

  We wrote a utility (ChGLE) which can lable the graphics created with GLE in Ch
inese Characters. Any statements which accept ASCII now can take Chinese charact
ers. ChGLE is free to use and distribute. Both GLE and ChGLE can be downloaded f
rom  WSMR-SIMTEL
20.ARMY.MIL (IP address 192.88.110.20) in directory PD1:<msdos.graphics>. Here,
the README.DOC is included.

==================  README.DOC  =================================

1. Introduction
===============

   GLE is an excellent plotting package for producing publication
quality graphs, diagrams, posters and slides. It was originally
written by Chris Pugmire and uploaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
(IP address 192.88.110.20) in directory PD1:<msdos.graphics>. We were
impressed by its powerful capacity and high quality output, so I
wrote a utility called ChGLE which make it possible to label
graphs (or add legend) created with GLE in Chinese characters.
This is especially useful for someone who is planing to submit
their papers to a journal in Chinese. ChGLE can be regarded as an
expansion of GLE, any statements which accept ASCII strings (such
as Write, Text, Title etc.) can now take Chinese characters. The
ChGLE can be freely used or distributed, the only request is,
please let us know if you like it!

2. Installation
===============

   This installation procedure supposes you have already installed
GLE packages. All ChGLE files are archived into a ZIP file, you
can store these files in the GLE directory or make another
directory. When installing, it is important to replace an existing
font metric file with "CHINESE.FMT" which was distributed within
the package. We recommend that you replace "PSC.FMT" with
CHINESE.FMT. Supposing you want to install both GLE and ChGLE in
C:\GLE directory, the steps are as follows:

  pkunzip.exe  ChGLE.ZIP  c:\gle\*.*
  ren  c:\gle\font\psc.fmt  c:\gle\font\psc.old
  copy  c:\gle\Chinese.fmt  c:\gle\font\psc.fmt

   In this case, you should select PSC as the current font when
you input Chinese characters; if not, the distances between the
Chinese characters may not be correct.

   You can print out sample files distributed with this package in
order to get a first impression about their appearance using this
utility. It is easy if you have a Postscript Printer; just type
the following commands from you computer:

    copy c:\gle\Sample1.psc  PRN
    copy c:\gle\Sample2.psc  PRN
    copy c:\gle\Sample3.psc  PRN

   Moreover, if you can understand Chinese (I think most people
who are interested in this utility can), you can also print out
help files which are in Chinese.

    copy c:\gle\Help.psc  PRN
    copy c:\gle\Block.psc  PRN

  Otherwise, you have to use GhostScript (which is a Postscript
emulator) to print out the files if you do not have a Postscript
printer. GhostScript can be downloaded from SIMTEL20 via FTP in
"msdos.postscript" directory.

3. How to use ChGLE
===================
   We assume you are familiar with GLE, if not, please refer to
the file "manual.txt" in the GLE package. First, it is better to
make use of the built-in editor of GLE to write your GLE source
code. If you need to label a graph in Chinese, temporally use
ASCII string as a place holder. The advantage of doing so is that
you can easily make use of preview function of GLE to debug your
source code and to adjust the position, orientation and size of
characters. After the source is saved, you invoke a Chinese editor
such as NJSTAR (which is also available from SIMTEL20 in
msdos.editor directory) to substitute ASCII strings with real
Chinese characters you need to label and save the file. Similar to
original GLE, you use PsGLE to transform this source code to a
file in Postscript format at first, you should then invoke ChGLE
to replace all Chinese characters with their font. The procedure
would look like the following:

  (1) Cgle  filename
            .
      (write and debug your source code, using ASCII as place
        holder, default file extension is GLE)
            .

  (2) Njstar  filename.gle
              .
      (replace ASCII strings with real Chinese characters)
              .
  (3) PsGLE   filename

      (transform source code to Postscript format,
       a new file "filename.ps"  will be created)

  (4) ChGLE   filename

      (replace Chinese characters with their font,
         filename.psc will be created)

  (5a) copy  filename.psc  PRN

     (if you have a Postscript printer Print out the filename.psc)

  (5b) gs -sDEVICE=epson   filename.psc
      (if you do not have a Postscript printer, print out
        filename.psc using Ghostscript emulator, you can select
        a different device for Ghostscript.

   Please explore the sample files to learn how to use ChGLE!

4. Comments
===========
   If you have any comments or suggestions, please contact us.

   E-mail address:
     [email-masked]
  or [email-masked]

  Home address:
     Hof Str. 22
     7906 Blaustein
     Germany