Subject: Re: Question about differences among input methods

From: Huang Chih-Hsien <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1992 19:08:52 WST

Hi:

> 1. What is the difference between 2 and 4?

Zhuyin, "bopomofo" is widely used in Taiwan and similiar to PinYin
in mainland China.  In fact, Zhuyin is a popular Chinese input method
for "common" users, instead of expert users.  That's because to people
here, we are fimiliar with "bopomofo", although too many characters
with the same pronunciation leads to bad performance.

> 2. What is Simple?

Simple, Jian3 Yi1, is another input method available in Taiwan.  However,
in most cases, people seldom use it.  Jian-Yi = the_1st_TsangChi_input_code
+ the_last_TsangChi_input_code.  It is often applied when people can not
guess out the correct codes.

> 3. What is GB?

GB is not used in Taiwan.  I guess people from mainland China will
know much about it.

> 4. What is Big-5?

Big-5 is NOT a input method but a Chinese coding method.  It is widely
used in Taiwan and maybe also in Hong Kong.  Most Chinese systems
developed here do support Big-5.  However, it is a 8-bit coding method
which is not convenient for spreading out over the 7-bit computer
network.

Best Regards,

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
|  H u a n g ,    C h i h -    H s i e n   | E.E.83, Sophomore         |
|------------------------------------------|---------------------------|
|    ::   :: .       :;      ,,,,,;.,,,,:. | Dept. of                  |
|  ''::'''::''' ,,,,,;;,,,,;,::.:., ', ,:  | Electronics Engineering   |
|    ;:...:;         ::      ::.,.:  ,':,  | National Chiao Tung Univ. |
|,,,,,,,,,,,,,;,     ::   .  ::.:...'   ':'| 1001 Ta Hsueh Rd.         |
|  :........;;,  '''''''''''  :.......::,  | Hsinchu, Taiwan, R.O.C.   |
|  ::   :   ::    :. :.       ::......::   |---------------------------|
|  ::''':'''::   :::  ;, ';.  ::......::   | E-mail:                   |
|  ;:...:...:;  :'::   ' : :; ::......::   |  [email-masked]  |
| ..;''   '';, '' ':::::::'  ..;''   '';,  |  [email-masked]  |
------------------------------------------------------------------------