Subject: Chinese in WordPerfect

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1992 13:08:59 EDT

To put Chinese characters into WordPerfect documents, you can run
ETEN (I T'ien, or ET), which converts DOS to a Chinese system.
(It actually runs under DOS, I believe.)  Under this system you
can use WordPerfect, but only up to version 4.2, not 5.0 or 5.1,
unfortunately.  WordPerfect 4.2 works normally under ET, but
printing can be a problem.  The only printer I know that will
definitely print WP files containing ET characters is the
Panasonic KX-P1124 or KX-P1124i (a 24-pin dot matrix in the $300
range).  The trick is to tell ET that you are using an Epson LQ-
2500 (select printer P10 using the etctl command.)  There are
other ways to work around this limitation using other printers.
One is to convert files to ASCII, but then of course you lose the
WP codes for underlining, bold, footnotes, etc.

Concerning the recent message about the ET Pinyin add-on file
available via ftp from ahkcus.org:  If this doesn't work, a
commercial version is available for $20 from Eagon Systems, 10
Hearthstone Circle, Natick, Massachusetts 01760, USA.  They also
have an English manual for ET (simpler and shorter than the
Chinese manual) for $15.

Joseph Adler
Dept. of Religion
Kenyon College
Gambier, OH 43022
[email-masked]