Subject: We are together

From: Tan E Ming - guojin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1993 02:32:36 -0500

In fact what the man hunt fever should begin when there is a need for the public
to know that in Malaysia and Singapore also, there are chinese computing
research going on at these nations and some of them can change cause dramatic
changes to the current Chinese Information Processing. One of the activists in
field is Dr Chuah Chong-Cheng. He's a Chinese electronic dictionary designer
, input method designer/commentator and the lecturer himself. In March,1988 ,
Dr Foo Meng How of Kelantan, West Malaysia, has invited
Prof.Wang Yong Ming to the state to evaluate the WuBiZiXing "super-fast learning
" method devised by Dr Foo himself. And the inventor of the WBZX himself,
Prof.Wang has acknowledged that the method is far more effective than the
one he had suggested in his manual. Thus if anybody from Malaysia or Singapore
want to learn WBZX input method at a faster pace and effectively, this is the
opportunity. In fact, the WuBiZiXing group ( called "WBZX Yan2 Jiu1 Xiao3 Zu3 ),
led by Mr Gun It Gon and Dr Foo Meng How as the group adviser, has published
several booklet and learning manual of the input method and they all are
quite affordable. I think the most crucial point that they or the group has
done is, they have made all the materials/books on the input method a non-
technical "treasure".

It is a sarcasm if an input method devised and nobody is interested in knowing
it. At least in this context, Dr Foo has done his part in making the stroke-
based input method not so as hard to learn as what some might have claimed it
to be.

The fact that the stroke-based method so unpopular among the non-professional
user is partly due to the fact that there are not many of us who care about
making it easy to learn or use. Though the Pinyin based input method has a more
bright future, but if we haven't done anything to improve the status quo of
the stroke-based input methods, we also shouldn't say that they are of no
importance at all.

I wish to thank liangsheng ([email-masked]) for his moral support
for me to cantact local intelectuals to discuss and promote the Chinese
computing in the region.

At least, we Malaysian and Singaporean Chinese are not "sleeping" here and
just waiting for the perish or survival of the Hanzi and Chinese culture.

E.M.Tan