Subject: Yan bu chang - Yi bu qing

From: John Delacour <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1993 23:46:00 GMT0BST-1

*******  Hubo writes, zi4bu2zheng4, yan2bu4shun1
___________

I quite agree, but I think such a concise explanation as you give, Hubo,
with so many confusing cross-references, is not adequate, though I accept
the principle of what you say.

What is needed is a file giving a complete definition of the terms used,
for example:-

__________________________BoPoMoFo__________________________________

A phonetic transcription for Chinese syllables by means of which all
Mandarin syllables may be presented by means of one, two or three special
characters consisting of from one to four brush strokes and resembling
simple Chinese characters (eg. | , X , T , << )

The name bopomofo is analagous to ABC, ie. bo, po, mo, fo are the
pronunciation of the first four characters in the "alphabet"

This phonetic transcription was devised in the years following the
National Revolution (ca 1920).

The "bopomofo" consists of 21 (formerly 24) characters.

Also called     National Phonetic Alphabet
                Zhuyin fuhao

Other comments:- ..............

____________________________

I'm sure it would not be too difficult for a few people to compile a
useful "dictionary" of Chinese (computing) terms, which could reside in
ifcss.org and be added to and revised as necessary for general reference.

                    John