Subject: Pinyin, Bopomofo and MPS II

From: GUO Jin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1993 11:23:10 +0800

Just an info.  the Education Dept. of Taiwan also published in 80' a
"pinyin" named _Mandarin Phonetic Symbols II_ (MPS II).  They treat
Bopomofo as I (the first).  It's much similar to Pinyin adopted in
mainland China.  And, for an English educated poeple, MPS II is MUCH
BETTER than Pinyin.  For example:

        Pinyin          MPS II
        ======          ======
        j               ji
        x               shi
        q               chi

Pls also note that:  the ONLY difference among Bopomofo, Pinyin and
MPS II is thet way of using what symbol to represent a given
pronounciation.  The Mandarin phonological structure is independent
of any representation schemes.

And, among them, only Pinyin has been accepted in late 70' as an ISO
standard as the only mean to transcribe Chinese prop names (person,
place, organization, etc.).  Or you can say: Pinyin is the only
INTERNATIONAL STANDARD for ...

GuoJin