Subject: phrase input in emacs

From: Stephen G Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1991 22:44:12 -0500

Dear Yu Shen,

I was very happy to see your posting with zw.el, and I want to
encourage you to develop this.  My biggest hope for cxterm.el was that
people would learn to use the powerful capabilities of Emacs for
solving the difficult problem of efficient Chinese input.  You are
taking a very big step in this direction.

One small comment on a side issue.  You wrote:

 >  And the transition from ascii
 > input mode to Chinese input is not smooth, beacuse the ESC character
 > has meanings both to emacs and cxterm.

I suppose this is because of the line

   ~Meta <KeyPress> Escape:  insert() switch-HZ-mode(ASCII)

in the cxterm*VT100.Translations: #override\ part of CXterm.ad (or
wherever cxterm is configured).  This line is meant only as a
convenience for users of celvis.  Users of cemacs (i.e. cxterm.el)
should delete this line from the cxterm setup.

Best wishes,

Steve Simpson

Stephen G. Simpson               [email-masked]
Department of Mathematics        +1 814 863-0775
Pennsylvania State University    home: +1 814 238-2274
University Park, PA 16802