Subject: Chinese Input Methods

From: Rob Gimello <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1993 09:12:50 -0700

About one of the imput methods mentioned in Ms. Lasovick's query, viz., "Dayi."

I have not noticed much mention of this method on CCNET-L and I gather that it
is not well known in the States.  However, I was introduced to it last year in
Taipei, have been using it ever since, and recommend it highly.  In fact, some
People in Taiwan have told me it promises to become one of the most popular
systems in use there.

In general, it is a method of the same general sort as Cangjie -- i.e., it
breaks all characters into 244 basic components.

        (NOTE WELL: as is the case with Cangjie, these 244 are NOT
        quite the same as the old set of 214, or the new set of 200,
        "radicals" - although there is some overlap).

These 244 basic components are distributed among 40 keyboard keys (i.e., the 36
alpha-numeric keys (with no distinction between upper and lower case) plus
theperiod, the comma, the semi-colon and the forward-slash).

The system is very intuitive (much more so, I think, than Cangjie) and does not
take long to learn.  After only a few days of use, one will find it relatively
easy to guess which combination of keys in which order will call up any given
character, and almost all characters are called-up with only 2 or 3 key-
strokes.  I believe it's much faster than Pinyin or any of the other phonetic
systems, and of course it can be used even when you are not sure of the
pronunciation and/or tone of the character your trying to type. I don't think
it is even necessary to use a manual to learn the system; all you need is the
one-page key-board chart (and a little bit of patience).

I use this system on a Mac, but I gather that it (or some version of it) may
also be used on DOS platforms and with Windows.  I note too that it is included
among the several input options provided in the new Chinese Language Kit from
Apple (although I haven't yet tried that product, as my copy of it will not
be delivered for another few days).

One caveat: I believe Dayi is designed for use only with the standard character
set encoded in Big 5;  I doubt that there is a version of it designed for
the simplified character set encoded in Guobiao.  I would hope, however, that
some version of it -- or something like it -- will be developed for use with
all forms of Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc. when the long-waited Unicode is
finally ready.

R. Gimello
The University of Arizona
[email-masked]

---

From: James Lin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1993 21:42:50 -0800

> People in Taiwan have told me it promises to become one of the most popular

As a matter of fact, there are at least four formal Chinese input
competitions held between mainland China and Taiwan.  Miss Ho from Taiwan
won them all with the fastest input from 129 cpm (the first competition
in Hong Kong 1989) to 171.4 cpm (Sep 18, 1993 in BeiKing).

> theperiod, the comma, the semi-colon and the forward-slash).

One very important principle of Dayi : it is based on writing stroke
sequence.  The maximum number of key stroke to input a Chinese character
is 4 (5 with Canghie).  The beauty of it compare to Cangjie is 1) Far
less multiple choice for characters of the same key stroke sequence. 2)
Far less characters have exceptions on composition rules.

The other good thing about it is not only Dayi implemented 13000
characters with these features mentioned above, but also it implemented
60000 frequently used Chinese phrases (from 2 characters to 7 characters)
using the same principle and it still provide very low chances to have
multiple choice.  I think they have a very good study in statistic.

> one-page key-board chart (and a little bit of patience).

There is a newly revised Dayi CAI program available and it basically
provide ruling instruction, exercising games, learning tools...and many
more, which is also a very good tool to learn Dayi without a manual.

> also be used on DOS platforms and with Windows.  I note too that it is included

It is originally available in DOS environment for ETen, KC... and it has
been included in Microsoft Chinese Windows 3.1 as a built in Chinese
input method.

> the simplified character set encoded in Guobiao.

I kind of remember that one very famous Chinese DTP (HwaKuang) in
mainland China also provided Dayi as an option.  I am not sure about if
there is a commercially available package for simplified Chinese system.
Let me check with Mr. Wang in Taipei (the inventor of Dayi).

> The University of Arizona

James Lin