Subject: Re: Chinese keyboard layout

From: george chang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1993 11:25:00 PST

I read a book on the history of typewriter a few months ago.  I remember
the layout of keyboard is determined by not only the letter frequency, but
also letter combinations, such 'er', 'or', etc.  Logically, Chinese keyboard
layout needs to take letter combinations into account.

The book also says the current layout of English keyboard is far from the
optimum.  A new layout, which is designed by a professor of University of
Washington, might be introduced and enforced at an authoritative conference
as early as 2005.

============================================================================

From:   IN%"[email-masked]"  "Yuan Jiang" 18-MAY-1993 10:31:18.80

I wonder what input method you based your statistic on.
Key-strike frequency depends on the input method.
For PinYin input methods, "z" is used frequently but
"v" is never used.

There are many DOS and MS-Win utilites that let you to
remap your keyboard.  But you need to know the frequency
statistics or your input method to design your remapping.