Subject: Re: pinyin input in ETEN

From: Kam Mok <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1991 15:16:55 EST

Re: pinyin input in ETEN
Hi Urs,
Yes I think your PHRASE.BOXes will be quite useful to many others,
I also want to see that you post them to some archive so that people can ftp.
Thanks again for sharing them with us.

Kam
[email-masked]

---

From: Stephen G Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1991 16:54:24 -0500

Regarding Urs Widmer's recent CCNET posting, concerning ETEN phrase
boxes.

I don't really understand ETEN phrase boxes, but it appears from Urs's
posting that the phrase boxes provide a capability similar to the tit
files in CXTERM.  In other words, the ETEN user can create a phrase
box file which defines a customized keyboard input method.

If this is correct, then it should be possible to use the

       PINYIN+TONE ==> ETEN BIG-5

input method, which already exists for CXTERM, and adapt it to ETEN.
This input method is already known to be completely compatible with
ETEN.  In fact, Yongguang Zhang and I developed this input method by a
phonetic conversion process starting with ETPHON.TAB in ETEN 2.03.
So, probably, all that needs to be done is to convert PY-b5.tit to the
ETEN phrase box file format.

I wish somebody who understands the phrase box format would attempt
this conversion and post the result here on CCNET, or make it
available for anonymous ftp.

If anyone would like to attempt this, the file that you need is
PY-b5.tit, available for anonymous ftp at cs.purdue.edu, directory
/pub/ygz/cxterm-dictionary.

I would also like to encourage Urs Widmer to make his own pinyin
phrase boxes available for anonymous ftp.  Urs, Bitt' sch\"on!

Stephen G. Simpson               [email-masked]
Department of Mathematics        +1 814 863-0775
Pennsylvania State University    home: +1 814 238-2274
University Park, PA 16802