Subject: Re: more about Solaris

From: [email-masked] (Kenji Okamoto)
Date: 24 Jan 92 02:01:39 GMT

These news around Solaris 2.0 also appeared in one of the general
(particularly for economists) newspapers at the end of last year. 
I think many peoples having interests in computers (in Japan) were 
much impacted by this news. 

I can add some information on jimmy's article:

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Jim Gottlieb) writes:

>    Nihon Sun Microsystems K.K. and Just System Co., Ltd. have
> agreed to jointly develop a version of "ATOK," a Japanese kana-to-
> kanji (phonetic-to-ideographic character) conversion software
> module originally developed by Just System.  The module will be
> used in the "Solaris" operating system developed by Sun.

The "ATOK" is the most popular FEP(front end processor for Japanese input) in
the personal computer market, which we can imagine by an analogy to UNIX's 
Wnn jserver + kinput.

>    NEC Corp. and Sun Microsystems Inc. of the US plan to
> make an agreement whereby NEC will be able to use the "Solaris"
> system software on its "PC-9800" series PCs.
>    Sun will develop a Japanese language version of Solaris by the
> middle of next year, and NEC will port the software to the PC-9800
> series PCs.

This PC-9800 series PC governs the Japanese PC market.   Something like
IBM/PC-AT in the world.

Kenji
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kenji Okamoto     |             [email-masked]
 ______  __ |__   |  Universiy of Osaka Prefecture, Dept. of Earth Science,
|__\/__|   /|\    |  Mozu Umemachi 4-804, Sakai, Osaka 591, Japan
||_|_| |  / + \   |  tel(voice) +81-722-52-1161 (ext)2736 (FAX)+81-722-55-2981
------------------------------------------------------------------------------