Subject: Any info on speech recognition in China?

From: zhang qing <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 90 08:08:45 PDT

I got a letter from my mother who quoted 4.30. People's Daily
an article titled "Use voice to replace keyboard -- Voice controled Chinese
typewritter Succeed". The article reports that Guangdong Foshan Electronic
Music and Sound General Co. (guang3dong1 fo2shan1 dian4zi3 yin1xiang3 zong3
gong1si1) and Beijing Xinghe Electronics Co. developed a Chinese infomation
processing system which is capable of listening, recording, writing and
speaking. When the reporter read character byx character, the machine can
with "reasonably high (jiao4gao1)" accuracy, but also can automatically
select correct character from homophones(tong2yin1zi4). At present, the
machine can reach 30-70 characters per minute. After some training, it can
identify speech with accents. The more you use, the better it gets.
        Now, anybody have further infomation on this machine? On what kind
computer is this machine implemented? What's the CPU speed, amount of memory
? What is the sound identification accuracy, and what is the tong2yin1zi4
distinction accuracy? What research institution is behind it? Any place in
the US we can see it?
                        Yan Yong-Xin