Subject: Chinese Computing

From: [email-masked] (Chuyu Xiong)
Date: 6 Jul 1992 15:16:59 -0400

Several days ago, I posted some questions about Chinese computing.
There are not many responses for that post. However, I received some
emails. Here is one I would like to share with you:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi:
	In 1987, I saw a system with optical pen as input in Zhongguanchun,
Beijing.  It was on display there.  I played with it for about an hour. 
The main problem is speed as a PC/AT was used.  I think now this problem
has been solved.  
	I also heard that a scaner system for inputting PRINTED Chinese
have been developed 2 or 3 years ago.
	As to the computer industry, I personally think (or my impression is)
mainland is more advanced on the system aspect and Taiwan on manufacturing.
	Please post this on SCC net if possible.  I don't know how to post
on the net.  Thanks
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

C. Xiong
Math. Dept. Ohio State University.