Subject: RE: seeking info. on Chinese computer systems

From: Dorothy Day <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1991 22:17:00 EST

The following reply is to Carlos McEvilly's query about Chinese
software from the mainland and Hong Kong.
        --Dorothy Day, Indiana University
        DAY@IUBACS

-----------------------------------------

Date:         Mon, 29 Jul 1991 12:17:38 EDT
From:         [email-masked]
Subject:      Re: seeking info. on Chinese computer systems

Dr McEvilly:
   When I was in China in 1986 People's Daily ran a story about a
PC based program that was similar to IBM's "learning to read". Local
peasants could speak into the system and the software would return the
appropriate character. They claimed an 80% success rate in acheiving
rudimentary literacy with this software.
   Also, I believe that China's foreign language's press has a catalog
of Chinese language software available. I have this somewhere and it
contains about 40 titles, but I don't have it readily available.
   Finally, Morgan-Kaufman, the computer science/artificial intelligence
publisher has a Hong Kong office for their PRC/ Taiwan/ Hong Kong operations.
They are at Transglobal Publishers Service, Ltd.
27/F Unit E, Shield Industrial Centre
Tsuen Wan N.T.
Hong Kong
Tele: 413 5322
Fax: 413 7049.
     I'm sorry I couldn't identify specific software, but this material
should give you a good set of leads.
                               Lawrence C. Katzenstein
                               Political Science
                               The University of New Orleans