Subject: Reply from Postmaster at UBC

From: Rupert Zhu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 19:34:34 EST

After I posted my "Test Report" on transmitting printable ASCII
characters, I repeated the same test with different users at University
of British Columbia, Vancouver.  They all give out the same result,
i.e., three characters are always changed at the MTS machine in UBC.
A friend of mine in UBC reported the problem to the Postmaster there.

In a reply, the Postmaster said that there is nothing he can do.
(Not surprised at all.)

There are a number of UNIX machines as well at UBC.  I also tested
two of them.  The mail is alright when going through a UNIX machine
at UBC.

-- Rupert

--------------------------------------------------------
>From [email-masked] Mon Feb 11 22:43 GMT 1991
From: Jon Nightingale <[email-masked]>
Subject:  Character translation problems
To: [email-masked]
Cc: rzhu@water

Unfortunately there is no one standard for character translations and
since MTS uses EBCDIC characters there can be problems in converting from
ASCII to EBCDIC.