Subject: tilde escape

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 91 21:55:52 MST

I would like to add one point to what I sent to Mark regarding the
tilde escape character which was reposted to the list.

  By default, ~ (tilde) is the escape character for the standard
bsd mailer (/usr/ucb/mail or /usr/bin/mailx on HP-UX) and is what
you will mostly likely be using on a Unix system.

  However, as Mark pointed out, the ASCII number for ~ is 126 and
is a valid character in the encoding method.  So if the file you
wish to send has one or more lines that starts with ~, there can be
some expected results.

  This restriction is only applicable when you send the file.  You
are "safe" if you just want to receive the file.

  The solutions to work around this are:

1. Use a different mailer.

2. Direct the message to a mail delivery daemon directly, such as
   sendmail.

3. Redefine your escape character.  For example, esc (ctrl-[)
   has the ASCII value of 27 (not a valud encoding character).  If
   you want to use esc in place of ~, put this in your .mailrc
   (note that ^[ is one single control character) :
           set escape=^[

Andy