Subject: Pure GB, encoding methods, and Six Digit method

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 91 09:04:22 MST

The popularly used 8-bit GB is Pure GB with the most significant bit
set on each byte.  One of the reason for setting the high bit on GB
text is to distinguish it from the other seven bit text in a document.

After "leaping without looking" and proposing a seven-bit encoding
scheme for transmission of Chinese, I have come to feel that Pure GB
is the way to go.  uuencode/uudecode is widely used, but they
occassionally have problems with certain characters (i.e. space).
btoa/atob seems to work quite well, but has the undesirable
side-effect, like uuencode, of making a larger file than the original.

Now all that needs to be done is find some sort of common agreement on
how to distinguish Pure GB from other 7-bit text when transmitting :-)

As for the Six Digit encoding method, I dabbled with it a bit.  It has
the advantage of a one to one mapping, but used by itself, it is a
little unwieldy and means another input method to be learned.

Has anyone contacted the authors to find out if they have done more
work on the input end of things?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]                      "I laughed.
Mark Leisher                                I cried.
Computing Research Lab                          I fell down.
New Mexico State University                        It changed my life."
Las Cruces, NM                     - Rich [Cowboy Feng's Space Bar and Grille]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 91 09:04:22 MST