Subject: Encoding Schemes

From: Rupert Zhu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 91 12:09:50 EST

Hello, Friends:

      I am trying to survey those well established encoding/decoding
schemes in major operating systems.  I know the existence of tens
of self-written schemes, but now I am mostly interested on those official
ones which are supported by major operating systems.

      For example, UUENCODE is the official scheme for UNIX system.
Another scheme called BTOA/ATOB is also available on local machines
as "user-supported" software.  That's all.  But many people have
pointed out that these two schemes are only available on UNIX and
are not widely supported in other operating systems.

      There should be at least one similar schemes in every major
operating system, including VMS, MVS, MTS, etc.  BINARY <--> ASCII
conversion is a common needs for transmitting binary files via
E-mail.

      It is very much appreciated if you can find out what scheme your
system uses and let me know.  I need this information badly.

      Thank you in advance.

-- Ruopeng