Subject: How to print GB/HZ/Big5 on device XYZ? ( Re: Hanzi Print )

From: "(XiaoFei Wang)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1992 14:40:36 -0500

Zhao Pengcheng wrote:
* Dear netters,
*
* I used hz24 to print the Chinese Magazin HXWZ, and it works well for ein
* HP Laserjet III. But I have only a HP deskjet at Home. I tried to use it,
* but it doesn't work. Does anyone know how to print GB files on a HP deskjet?
* Is there any Hanzi printing programm that support a HP deskjet?
* Thank you in advance.

Instead of :

GB --> Postscript
   |__ epson
   |__ HP laserjet
   |__ HP deskjet
   |__ etc etc

As you proposed, we can do this:

GB --> Postscript
                 |__ epson
                 |__ HP laserjet
                 |__ HP deskjet
                 |__ etc etc

First convert GB/Hz/Big5 to the de facto standard language
for graphic communications, i.e. Postscript and then convert Postscript
to the native languages of HP laserjet, HP deskjet and epson etc.

The advantage of this approach is the formatting can be set in the first
step from GB --> Postscript, e.g. to center a poem nicely, to include a
picture, to bold a sentence, to rotate a character to certain degree,
and many other special effects.  Postscript --> whatever is just like
photocopy, the format is not changed.

GB --> Postscript is related to chinese computing while
Postscript --> whatever is not. Postscript --> whatever is
achieved by Ghostscript and I will include an announcement where
you can find FTP addresses.

I used to do HXWZ Postscript to PCL ( native language  of HP laserjet )
conversion on msdos and printing PCL on the laserjet.  To reduce time,
now I do HXWZ Postscript to PCL conversion on unix and then printing
PCL on HP laserjet. The printing time for a whole issue of HXWZ is
about 5 minutes. Of course the conversion time depends on the
condition of your unix machine.

Enclosure: where to get Ghostscript.
--
From: [email-masked] (L. Peter Deutsch)
Newsgroups: gnu.ghostscript.bug,comp.lang.postscript,gnu.announce
Subject: Ghostscript 2.5.2 is released

Ghostscript 2.5.2 is now released.  The main purpose of this release is to
fix the DeskJet and LaserJet drivers, which were still broken in 2.5.1.
As usual, see readme.doc in the fileset for a somewhat more detailed list;
see the NEWS file for a very detailed list.  Note that only a subset of
the available drivers and features are included in the PC executables
distributed as GNU software: read the individual makefiles to find out
which drivers and features are included in which executables.

Ghostscript 2.5.2 may be obtained from the usual GNU distribution points.
One good place to get it is ftp.cs.wisc.edu:/pub/X/ghostscript-*2.5.2*.
This is a 24-hour-access site that allows anonymous FTP and is not heavily
loaded.

Context diffs from Ghostscript 2.5.1 to 2.5.2 have been provided.
Ghostscript 2.5.1 has been left on-line, as well as 2.4.1.  2.5 has been
deleted, although diffs from 2.4.1 -> 2.5 -> 2.5.1 have been left on-line
to help users upgrade.  Both 2.4.1 and 2.5.1 will be deleted in the near
future, but the diffs will be left on-line indefinitely.

Suggestions for what should go in Ghostscript 2.6 are more than welcome.
The only new feature definitely scheduled for inclusion is the ability to
use the platform's fonts (e.g., the X bitmap fonts) when possible.
Leading candidates for other features are Type 0 (Chinese/Japanese) font
capability, the Level 2 'pattern' facility, and a major overhaul of the
general rasterizing algorithm for increased performance.  Please send
suggestions directly to [email-masked].

I would like to thank the users who helped test this release on very short
notice, and especially George Cameron for help with the printer drivers.

                                        L. Peter Deutsch

      [ Soon to be at these ftp sites as well.  Please try them
        before prep.ai.mit.edu!  thanx [email-masked]

        Japan: ftp.cs.titech.ac.jp, utsun.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp:ftpsync/prep
        Australia: archie.au:gnu
        Europe: src.doc.ic.ac.uk:gnu, ftp.informatik.tu-muenchen.de,
          ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de:pub/gnu,
          nic.funet.fi:pub/gnu, ugle.unit.no, isy.liu.se,
          ftp.stacken.kth.se, sunic.sunet.se, ftp.win.tue.nl,
          ftp.diku.dk, ftp.eunet.ch, archive.eu.net
        United States: wuarchive.wustl.edu ftp.cs.widener.edu,
          uxc.cso.uiuc.edu, col.hp.com, gatekeeper.dec.com:pub/GNU,
          ftp.uu.net:packages/gnu

        For information on how to order GNU software on tape, check
        the file etc/DISTRIB in the GNU Emacs distribution, or e-mail
        a request to:   [email-masked]
      ]