Subject: distributing Ghostscript to print HXWZ PS files on HPLJ from PC

From: XiaoFei Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1992 18:23:51 EDT

I would like to distribute ( well partially ) a stripped down version of
Ghostscript to print HXWZ files on HP laserjet from PC with step by step
instruction for people who are not very familair with computers.

This is the current version 2.41. Version 2.5 is to be relesed soon. But
for the purpose of printing HXWZ PS files, this version does a fairly
good job. People can always install the latest version from original
distributing site if needed.

The following is a readme file for my distribution. Interested poeple
please reply.

--

Ghostscript is fully fledged Postscript interpreter which works on many
computers and has many device drivers.  I am distributing a striped
down version of it for the purpose of printing Hua Xia Wen Zhai on HP
laserjet from a PC.

OK, how to install:

1. I am going to mail you a uuencoded file. After you uudecode the file,
   You should get a file gs-dist.tar.Z and after uncompress and
   `untar' you should be able to get the following 12 files.

cour.pfa empty.ps gs_2asc.ps gs_dps1.ps gs_fonts.ps gs_init.ps gs_lev2.ps
gs_statd.ps quit.ps readme.xf sym__enc.ps fontmap

   Also please get the following three files by uncompress and `untar'
   ghostscript-2.4.1msdos.tar.Z FTPable from prep.ai.mit.edu in the
   directory pub/gnu.

dos4gw.exe gs.exe gs386.exe

   Put all these 15 files in a single directory. I will use c:\ghost as
   an example.

2. Please set the following in autoexec.bat. And type autoexec.bat to
   run it or switch the computer off and turn it on again.

set GS_RUN_EXE=c:\ghost\dos4gw
set GS_LIB=c:\ghost

   And set the c:\ghost in the searching path.

3. To print HXWZ, type

gs386 -sDEVICE=ljet3 -dNOPAUSE pspage01 pspage02 pspage03 ... quit.ps
or
replace gs386 to gs if your computer isn't 386 and ljet3 to laserjet if
your printer is not HP laserjet III.

Please note that msdos can only accept commands up to certain limit. So
you want to rename pspage01 to something shorter, eg p01 or print first
1-5 pages and then print 5-10 pages.

It took me 11 minutes to print Hua Xia Wen Zhai #58 and the quality is
quite good.

4. Please note that I am distributing a stripped down version of
Ghostscript for the limited purpose. Please see the main distribution
FTP'able from prep.ai.mit.edu in the directory of pub/gnu ( All of the
files begin with ghostscript ) for _full_ information. If you still
have questions after `reading the funny manuals', you can post to
newsgroup `gnu.ghostscript.bug'.

Let me know if you are successful.

--
[email-masked] | Subscribe Chinese Poem Exchange and Discussion List
mail [email-masked] with "SUB CHPOEM-L 1st LastName" in the MESSAGE BODY
InterNet Address: UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU | Posting in UUENCODED GB and BIG5