Subject: Comments on HXLaser(a new program for printing GB/HZ files)

From: HONGCHENG ZHAO <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1993 16:32:00 PST

To those who are interested:

        I have tried the newly released HXLaser, a utility shareware for
printing GB/HZ files on most of HP laser printers.  Here are some comments,
which may save others time to try the same and give some feedback to the
author for further improvement.

        1. It is the fastest Chinese printing utility I have ever met.
I used a 486 PC and a HP LaserJet series II printer.  The memory of the
printer is unkown but the result of running HZTEST was 87.  When I setup
HZSOFT=20 in HXLASER.CFG, it took a little more than 5 minutes to print
out CM9309B.GB.  When I changed it to HZSOFT=40, the speed was almost the
same, meaning higher number after a certain point may not speed up the
printing.  I could not remember how many minutes it took to print the same
file when using HZSOFT=8.  But it was a little slower in that case.

        2. When I set HZSOFT=20 and 40, any English and numerical numbers
could not be printed out for pages 13-16.  Everything was normal before
page 13 and after page 16.  In this aspect, higher speed means loss of
quality.

        I didn't try any numbers for HZSOFT between 8 and 20.  I wish I could
see any test results for those numbers from others.

        Anyway, HXLaser is worth trying.  I believe it is good for printing
HXWZ.  Many thanks for the author who released this wonderful, though not
perfect yet, program.

        A user who has time to try today