Subject: Very small Chinese program

From: "L.S.Ng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 1994 23:43:48 GMT

A very small Chinese program would require about 100K minimum of memory.

Calculations show that for input method we need about 60K of memory.
Statistics show that during a lifetime of a file reader, there are about
1000 Chinese character being used, which requires 72K bytes of bitmap
memory (using the decent 24x24 bitmap). Then there is a 9K Font Buffer
table to be maintaned.

All those number adds up to 140K (about).

If you use 16x16 bitmap, for font it would be 32K (each 16x16 bitmap
takes up 32 bytes). The total being 100K.

Suppose at one time, you would need two input methods active instead of
one, you then require another 60K.

All this figures add up nicely to about 200K.

And the conclusion is, for a decent, acceptable very small Chinese
application program, the memory required is about 200K.

(For the extreme case of ZWDOS, it put its font on disk, uses a somehow
limited input method, it takes only less than 20K!!)

And that is excluding the real part of the program.

Well, for DOS programmers, this means you have about another 400K to fiddle
around.

Sincerely,
Liangsheng WU