Subject: Re: computing in China

From: "Z. Zhang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1993 02:07:25 CST

>
> >
> >              Chinese Computing in Mainland China
> >
> >               Yueheng Xu      Jan. 29, 1993

Thanks for the author of the posting for giving us very interesting insight
of the topic.

I have been watching this net for a while and have the impression that it
links only with software side issues. Could anybody kindly confirm me if
this is the case.

I'm of more interested in system/hardware issues of the mainland computer
industry. If we divide it roughly, the market will consist: 1) Embedded
system for real time control. 2) PC/Desktop for word processing and small
scale computing. 3) Workstation and mini-supercomputer(like Vax). 4) Super-
computer R&D.

The lower layer being VLSI, chip fabrication etc.

Any info is welcome! Thanks!

- Z.Zhang at UIUC