Subject: New library available by anonymous ftp

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 91 07:01:50 MST

crl.nmsu.edu:pub/misc/wcslib.tar.Z

For you C hackers out there, I have finally gotten around to building
a set of tables, macros and functions to support ctype style character
type checking for the Big5, GB 2312, JIS X0208, and KS C5601 codesets,
using the wchar_t (16-bit character) type.  I have added an ISO 8859-1
Latin table at the beginning of each table as well.

Also included are some string functions that work on wchar_t *
strings.

I wrote this library for two main reasons:
1. systems that don't have "locale" support
2. systems that have "locale" support, but don't have enough
   documentation to figure out how to build ctype tables for two-byte
   character codesets (my situation) :-)

I have only tested the Big5 character type checking, so I'm not sure
if the checks work correctly in the other codesets.  Later, I'll be
supplying a testing program that will test all of the macros and
functions for each codeset.

The string functions have been used extensively, so I'm pretty sure
they work OK.

I hacked most of this library out over the weekend, so I haven't had a
chance to supply things like a manual page yet, and the documentation
in the README file is long and a little boring.

Please feel free to fix, change, or enhance the code in the library,
but please inform me about it so I don't fall behind on the code :-)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]                      "I laughed.
Mark Leisher                                I cried.
Computing Research Lab                          I fell down.
New Mexico State University                        It changed my life."
Las Cruces, NM                     - Rich [Cowboy Feng's Space Bar and Grille]