From: Urs Widmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1993 16:18:57 +0100

Hi, everybody

I just uploaded an updated version of the file "CJK-PROG.TXT" to the
archive of crl.nmsu.edu [128.123.1.18], directory: "/pub/chinese".

In this file I collect information on different programs for handling
cjk-data. By now this file contains by now some 180 entries. If possible
I indicate the main usage of a program, the system requirements, sources
for getting it etc. I try to collect information on public domain *and*
commercial products; but I know that the list is by no means complete.

I think the list could be useful for people looking for some kind of
program handling CJK-characters; but it could also help those who have to
answer questens in this field.

The list comes in a format that makes it easy to incorporate the data
in a DBS system if need arises. Actually by now I use CDS/ISIS to keep
these CJK-records. ISIS is a very effecient DBS-system mainly for text
data. CDS/ISIS (for DOS; also mainframe versions available) was developed
by UNESCO and is distributed without any costs to non-profit educational
institutions as universities, libraries etc. With a small utility for use
with ISIS (Fangorn) it is very comfortable to downlode the tagged data
(as in this CJK-list) into ISIS. It is also possible to produce again
a tagged ASCII-file to be used on the net. If you have ISIS, I could
also send you my ISIS-file structure and the ISIS-datafile, in which I
have already tagged the keywords for building an ISIS-inverted file. This
file allows very comfortable searching in the DBS.

BTW: It's ISIS, which also allows inclusion of Chinese text when used
together with ETEN, which --- in it's most popular versions --- only
handles BIG-5 characters. CJK-prog.txt does not contain Chinese characters
but I have some other database files which have. Should anybody be
interested in handling Chinese with ISIS, I would like to explain in
more detail.

Enjoi
Urs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Urs Widmer       Tel.:  (0049)421-218-3188         CHINESISCH UND COMPUTER
PC-Labor, MZH         FAX:  (0049)421-218-2720          Journal for Computing
Universitaet Bremen                                     in Oriental Languages
2800 Bremen 33      email: <[email-masked]>        (in German)
Germany                    <[email-masked]>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------