Subject: CND-US, October 1, 1993

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1993 00:46:03 -0500

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                               (US Regional)

                          Friday, October 1, 1993

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| CND-US, normally 1 or 2 issues a week, is a supplement to CND-Global and |
| has basically no overlap with the daily news.   CND-US provides in-depth |
| information concerning Chinese students/scholars in the United States.   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Table of Contents                                                 # of Lines
============================================================================
1. News Briefs (4 Items) ................................................ 44
2. Lagging Demand from Japan, China Threatens U.S. Exports .............. 63
3. CSPA Information Exchange (3 Items) .................................. 85
4. Feng Kong Prize of Scientific Computing .............................. 48
5. UCHSSA to Organize Art and Humanity Programs ......................... 44
6. 6th Int'l Research Conference in Beijing on Housing Calls for Paper .. 24
7. Seminar on Computer Application in Chemical Engineering .............. 26
============================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. News Briefs (4 Items) ................................................ 44
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Wall Street Journal 9/24/93] China's joining the U.S., Europe and Japan in
the race to develop high definition television. A research center, to be set
up by early next year, will focus on developing HDTV receivers, VCRs and
transmission systems. Government officials predict that China will begin
HDTV broadcasts by 1999. (From: Anthony Brach <[email-masked]>)
                                ___ ___ ___

[DJ, 9/30/1993] BEIJING -- Microsoft Corp. of the U.S. has announced plans
to introduce a Chinese variation of its Windows 3.1 software program in
China, the official Xinhua News Agency reported. Microsoft officials said
Windows 3.1 Simplified Chinese edition, which has different menus, text,
graphics and dialogs from the English version, would hit the Chinese market
in mid-October. The new program allows for a variety of input methods in
Chinese characters and can store a 20,000-word vocabulary, the report said.
It didn't give a price for the software.  (Forwarded by: Charles Mok)
                                ___ ___ ___

[AP, 9/27/1993] BEIJING -- Compaq Computer Corp. opened its first
representative office in China on Monday, part of its effort to capture a
bigger part of the country's growing personal computer market. Houston-
based Compaq is among several U.S. computer makers, including AST Research
Inc., Apple Computer Inc. and International Business Machines Corp., to
expand operations in China in recent months. Compaq signed a letter of
intent in July to join with Stone Computer Group, China's leading computer
company, in manufacturing personal computers at an existing Stone factory
in Shenzhen, near Hong Kong. (Forwarded by: Zhao Hua)
                                ___ ___ ___

[MIT, 9/28/1993] MIT Chinese Students & Scholars Association is proudly
preseting A Grand Dancing and Karaoke Party featuring:
           * Professional DJ, fantastic lights and acoustics,
           * Big screen Karaoke and 'endless' selection of songs,
           * Lots of drinks and refreshments,
           * Old and new faces full of sprirts ...
Time:     Oct. 9 , Saturday, 8:30pm
Place:    Student center 2nd floor, Sala de Puerto Rico
          84 Mass Ave, Cambridge
Tickets:  MIT/Wellesley $4, others $5.  (From: [email-masked])

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Lagging Demand from Japan, China Threatens U.S. Exports .............. 63
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forwarded by: Zhao Hua
Source: AP, 9/27/1993
Written by: MARGARET SCHERF

A slow economic recovery in Japan and plentiful grain supplies in China are
major reasons for an expected decline in U.S. agricultural exports to Asia
and the Pacific rim.

U.S. exports to those regions are forecast to fall 1.8 percent to $16.1
billion in fiscal 1993, says a situation and outlook summary by USDA's
Economic Research Service.

"Increased sales to Hong Kong and the Philippines will be more than offset
by slight declines to Japan, South Korea and China," it said.

"A slow economic recovery in Japan, ample grain supplies in China, and
lower world grain and cotton prices are major reasons for the decline,"
the report added. Asia and the Pacific rim, ranging from Afghanistan, east
to China and Japan, and south to Australia and New Zealand, is the largest
regional destination for U.S. agricultural exports, taking 38 percent of
the total.

Japan is the largest single-country market, buying $8.2 billion in 1993, or
19 percent of worldwide U.S. farm exports.

At the same time U.S. exports to the area are declining, agricultural
imports from the region may increase by 5.5 percent to $5.9 billion in
fiscal 1993, the report said.

About one-third of the total, mostly livestock products, will come from
Australia and New Zealand. Most of the remainder will be tropical products
from Southeast Asia.

"Despite slow growth in Japan, which accounts for more than 60 percent of
the Asia and Pacific Rim Gross National Product, the region's aggregate
income is expected to grow more rapidly than income elsewhere, except the
Middle East," it said. "China's economy, the world's fastest growing, is
expected to expand at least 10 percent in 1993." China's production of
major grains and oilseeds is expected to decline some in 1993, it said,
while meat production may rise.

"Recent information from China's State Statistical Bureau indicates that
grain stocks are a lot higher than previously believed, and that cultivated
area has been under reported, perhaps by as much as 30 percent," it said.

China exported about 10 million tons of corn in 1992, mainly to South Korea,
Japan and Malaysia.

"China's corn exports to South Korea pushed the share of U.S. corn down to
25 percent in 1992 from 32 percent in 1991," it said. "The outlook for 1993
is for continued large Chinese corn exports to regional markets."

The report said that Southeast Asia, a relatively minor market for U.S.
agricultural exports, is an important source of noncompetitive imports such
as rubber and tropical fruits and "is becoming increasingly important as a
competitor in commodity markets important to the United States." It
mentioned that in 1993, Vietnam is forecast to export 2 million tons of
rice, which would make it the world's third largest exporter of rice behind
Thailand and the United States.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. CSPA Information Exchange (3 Items) .................................. 85
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_From: Zhengzhi Wang <[email-masked]>
Source: CCNL, 9/27/1993

I filed my petition on September 20, and got it approved  on September 23.
The relevant contents of the letter are following :

Dear student:

Your petition for a waiver of the non-resident tuition fee under
the CHINESE STUDENT PROTECTION ACT has been approved.  A Fee
Payment Authorization waiving the nonresident tuition is enclosed.
...
If you have paid your Fall 93 registration fees, the white copy has
been sent to the Student Accounting Office along with a request for
a refund.

You may continue to receive this waiver as long as you continue to
act consistently with your claim of California residency, and as
long as you hold a valid status that entitles you to resident
classification.

Please note that this is the only time this waiver will be sent to
you. Each quarter you will be responsible for picking it up from
the Residence Deputy once you continued eligibility has been confirmed.

UCLA Residence Deputy

**I havn't received the approval notice for I-485 application from INS.
Under the item "name of fund source" on the FPA is "CSPA-Pending Adjustment"
                                ___ ___ ___

_From: Fred F.M. Wu <[email-masked]>
Date: 9/29/1993

I got my approval on Sept 27 and went to local INS office the second day for
final interview.

The local INS official at Memphis was very nice and it seems to me that he
didn't pay any attention on the 14-day waiting period (the approval notice
asked me to wait for 14 days before go to local INS office for final
interview.  Owing to an emergency, I didn't wait that long).

The official helped me to do my fingerprints on both sides of a form and my
name was also signed on the two sides of the same form.  I didn't fill
anything on the form.  When I asked whether I should hand in more photos, he
answered: "not until required".  A temporary Green Card (INS official didn't
call it "temporary green card") was stamped on my passport.  The TGC is the
official document which will permit me in and out of America for six month
(I didn't ask for the TGC, the official did it as a portion of the
procedure). The whole process lasted about 3 minutes.  INS approval notice
and my passport are the only documents which I used during the interview.

Before leaving, the official reminded me: "From now on, you are no more a
non-immigrant.  You are a permanent resident."
                                ___ ___ ___

_From: Jianliang Li <[email-masked]> Member, LAD-Net Committee
Source: CCNL, 9/29/1993

The following is for your information only.  Your own judgement is highly
advised.

I talked to Salt Lake City INS Supervisory Exminer Allan Speirs.  He said
EC6 is specially created for CSPA principals.  LAD gets E39.

I also asked about J-2 2-year waiver.  I asked if it is required. He
answered that you'd better have it to make things straight and clear.

LAD interview in SLC-INS is quite formal.  It takes about 25 minutes.  He
checks birth date, I-94 (he also has a copy, he compares yours with the one
he got), marriage certificate, and all other documents. He also made notes
on Form I-485 about the 2-year waiver (like "granted on DD/MM/YY) because I
obtained the 2-year waiver after my LAD filed I-485.  You also need to bring
the original documents.  Where you get the certificate seems to be not
important.  My LAD's birth certificate was from a local hostspital with a
red stamp (seal) on a regular Chinese letter paper.   This INS examiner is
very kind and responsible. He makes you feel that you are going through an
important process.

When I called for signatures to support Beijing 2000 Olympics, many were
afraid to sign.  They were afraid to jarpodize their PR applications.  If
Beijing bids for 2004 games, I hope there is nothing to be afraid at that
time to show your support!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Feng Kong Prize of Scientific Computing .............................. 48
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From: Yuefan Deng <[email-masked]>
Source: CCNL, 9/28/1993

Professor Kang Feng passed away on 17th August 1993. Professor Feng was the
founder and leader of computational mathematics in China, he made great
contributions to the developement of scientific computing in China. His
death is an immeasurable loss to the scientific computing community. We
deeply sorrow over the loss of such a honorable teacher and friend.

To memorize the great achievments of Professor Feng, we suggest to establish
a prize called "FENG KANG PRIZE OF SCIENTIFIC COMPUTING". This Prize will be
open to all Chinese scientists working on scientific computing (in China or
abroad). It will be awarded once every other year, each time to at most two
persons. We have raised some funds from friends, students, and other people.
Your contributions to the prize foundation will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your support.

To donate, send personal cheque(s) payable to "Feng Kang Prize of Scientific
Computing" to
           Prof. Daoliu Wang
           Computing Center,
           Chinese Academy of Sciences
           P.O. Box 2719 ,
           Beijing 100080,
           P.R. China
or transfer donation(s) directly to the following account:
       BANK NAME:      Bank of China, City Branch Beijing, Hai Dian Sub-Branch
       ACCOUNT NAME:   Feng Kang Prize of Scientific Computing
       ACCOUNT NUMBER: 4019805 -- 0114 -- 0025730

Contact persons:
      Beijing:  Prof Daoliu WANG, Computing Center, Academia Sinica, 100080
      US:       Prof Yuefan DENG, Dept of Applied Math and Statistics,
                State University of New York at Stony Brook, NY 11794-3600,
                Tel: 516-632-8614, Fax: 516-632-8490,
                E-mail: [email-masked]
      HongKong Prof. Hong-ci HUANG, Dept of Math, Hong Kong Baptist College,
                224 Waterloo Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong, Tel: 852-339-7400,
                Fax: 338-9987, E-mail: [email-masked]

"Feng Kang Prize of Scientific Computing":
Chair:   Zhongci SHI
Members: Junzhi CUI, Yuefan DENG, Weinan E, Benyu GOU, Hongci HUANG,
 Quan LIN, Weibai TANG, Daoliu WANG, Jinchao XU, Yaxiang YUAN, Tianxiao ZHOU

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. UCHSSA to Organize Art and Humanity Programs ......................... 44
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From: Qing Ping Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: 9/28/1993

The following programs have been decided by U.S.-China Humanities and Social
Sciences Association and related agencies in China. If you are interested in
participating these programs, please contact the persons below.  Members
have priority to be selected. To apply for membership, please send e-mail to
the account of UCHSSA's General Secretary: [email-masked]

1.  A book serial.  UCHSSA is contracting with a few major publishing houses
in China to publish a book serial that is written by overseas Chinese
students and scholars about their life and studies in the U.S.. Four titles
have been decided to begin the serial:  A). The Most Interesting Issue in
Your Professional Field--a collection of essays;  B). Love and Marriage of
Overseas Chinese Students--a collection of reports, interviews, statistics,
and autobiographies;  C). The Chinese Millionaires--a collection of stories,
interview, and autobiographies of successful businessmen in overseas Chinese
students;  D). Culture Shock--stories about culture shock in the U.S..  If
interested, please send e-mail to [email-masked].

2.  An art performance tour in the U.S..  One of the best troupes in China
has accepted our invitation and will perform for Chinese students and a
general American public during the 1994 Spring Festival;  (We got news from
the Consulate General of PRC in San Francisco that the Chinese government has
no plan to entertain the students in the U.S. during this period.)  Student
association, organization, company or individual interested in co-sponsoring
and/or co-organizing the performance in your area, please contact
[email-masked].

3.  A UCHSSA art performance tour in China. Several large cities in China
have invited UCHSSA for a performance. The UCHSSA troupe will be composed of
overseas Chinese students, movie stars, actors/actresses, singers, dancers,
and musicians.  Any interested person who has talent in art performance
please contact [email-masked].

4.  Reporting tours to China.  The general topic is "Development and Wealth
for China" (fazhan zhongguo, fuzu renmin).  Speeches will be delivered
directly to the general public rather than professionals.  We will
especially visit some undeveloped outlying areas.  Interested groups and
individuals please contact [email-masked].

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
6. 6th Int'l Research Conference in Beijing on Housing Calls for Paper .. 24
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_From: Pierre-J. Hamel <[email-masked]>
Date: 9/27/1993

Global challenge - Local Challenges in the 21st Century
September 21-24 1994, Beijing

Worshops:
Housing and Public Policies
Housing and Quality of Life
The Housing Market
Construction of Urban Housing and the Urban Environment
Urbanization and Urban Development
Sociology of Housing

Deadline: October 30 1993

For more details, contact:
Ye Qimao or Liu Hanju
CIRH 94, Urban Studies Institute, B.P. 2822, 100044 Beijing, China
Tel.: 86-1-831-1882 Fax:  86-1-831-3158

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
7. Seminar on Computer Application in Chemical Engineering .............. 26
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_From: Frank Lin <[email-masked]>
Date: 9/29/1993

There will be a 1994 summer seminar in Beijing.  It will be held by the
Computer Application in Chemical Engining Committee(CACEC) of the China
Chemical Engining Institute(CCEI) and the Chemistry Science Department (CSD)
of the China National Science Foundation Committee(CNSFC).  CACEC & CSD
welcome the colleagues and students who are professionals or majoring in
computer application of chemical engineering.

.WHEN: It will take about 2 weeks in the summer of 1994.  (There will
       be further notice about the exact date)

.WHERE: Beijing, China
.APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1) Resume, 2) Thesis topics and abstracts(300
        -400 words), 3) Other suggestions.
.FEES: CACEC & CSD will provide hotel and activities fees during the seminar.
       International travel fees are not included.
.DEADLINE: 11/01/93
.CONTACT TO: Prof. Yang, YouQi, China National Chemical Information Center,
             53 Xiaoguanjei, Anwai, Beijing 100029, P.R.China
CACES & CSD will mail you the finial notice before 12/31/93.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|               Editor of This Issue: Sifeng Ma (Los Angeles)              |
|                Coordinating Editor: Bo Xiong  (Chicago)                  |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|    China News Digest (CND) offers the following services:                |
|     (1) Global News (Daily)        (2) US Regional News                  |
|     (3) Canada Regional News       (4) Europe & Pacific Regional News    |
|     (5) Hua Xia Wen Zhai (Weekly Chinese Magazine)                       |
|     (6) InfoBase: anon FTP to CND.ORG[132.249.229.100]:pub/InfoBase      |
|    To subscribe or get info, mail request to:      [email-masked]      |
|    To contribute news,  please send it to:        [email-masked]     |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+