Subject: CND-US Posting, November 20, 1990

From: CND-EP <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 90 23:59:37 -0500

*  *  *   C H I N A    N E W S    D I G E S T   *  *  *

			      November 20, 1990

	+-+-+-+- ( China News Digest,  US Section Service ) -+-+-+-+

         - - - - - - T a b l e   o f   C o n t e n t s - - - - - -
No. Subjects                                                    # of Lines

1. CND Live Report on IFCSS Trip to USSR from NY JFK Airport............25

2. IFCSS Delegation Held Press Conference at NY JFK Airport.............80

3. Readers' Comments:  Former IFCSS President Would Like to Participate
    in the Proposed Exchange Plan to Free PRC Political Prisoners.......45

4. CND Q&A COLUMN ON VISA/JOB/LEGAL MATTERS (No. 23)....................80
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. CND Live Report on IFCSS Trip to USSR from NY JFK Airport	    (25 lines)
==============================================================================
>From: [email-masked] Tue Nov 20 16:42:59 1990
(Editor's note: this is a report sent out from a laptop computer from NY JFK
		Airport, another brief live report see today's CND-General)

(New York, 4:30pm, 11/20/90 --  by Ciping Huang)

      As invited by the Youth Committee of the Supreme Soviet, the IFCSS
delegation is on its way to Moscow.  It is now less than one hours before
their take off.  The delegation had a press conference at the John F.
Kennedy Airport.

      Among the 24 delegates, there are several CND staff members, including
this reporter.  In the past week or two, they and other CND members have
done a lot of work in studying the feasibility of CND live report from Moscow.
They have explored many possibilities, such as using fax, telex, telephone,
and of course, the electronic mail.  Right now, the most promising way seems
to be e-mail.  With the help of others, this reporter had been able to reach
e-mail users at several places in Moscow, including Moscow State University,
the Space Research Institute of the Space Center of the Soviet Union, and the
Computer Network Research and Development Center of the Soviet Union.  She got
many very positive responses and was invited to visit these places.  Hopefully
CND members can transmit CND reports from there with the help of these people.

      The plane is about to take off.  An exciting journey is waiting us.  It
is the hope of all the CND members that you will get the most updated news of
the IFCSS' USSR mission from Moscow.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. IFCSS Delegation Held Press Conference at NY JFK Airport	   (80 lines)
=============================================================================
>From: [email-masked] (Bo Xiong)		     Tue  Nov 20, 1990

Guan, Weihe, CND Correspondent and a member of IFCSS Delegation telephone
report from NY JFK International Airport this afternoon:

     At 3:00pm, before departure, IFCSS delegation to USSR held a press
conference.  Many TV and newspaper reporters attended the press conference.
In the press conference, IFCSS ranking officials made public aware of the
purpose of the visit, the formation of the delegation and other commonly
concerned issues.  IFCSS emphasized that the members of the delegation are
Chinese students who have achievemnets in their fields of studies and
activities which include natural sciences, humanities and orgnizational
operations, they are divided into several functional groups and each of them
will write comprehensive reports upon their return.  (The detail is published
in the IFCSS News Release No. 2037 dated November 19, 1990).

     The head of the delegation, IFCSS president Dr. CHEN, Xingyu, IFCSS vice
president Mr. Chen SHI-zhong and secretary of the delegation Mr. WANG, Yan-bin
ansered questions in the press conference.

     The following are brief notes taken by CND correspondent in the press
conference:

Q:    Why IFCSS is invited to visit Soviet Union?

CHEN: Since IFCSS was founded in July, 1989, it has been doing fruitful job
      in many aspects and drawing great attention of concerned public.	IFCSS
      has sent two delegations to Eastern Europe but haven't visited USSR.

Q:    Who is the host in USSR?

CHEN: The Youth Committee of Supereme Soviet of USSR, it's almost the
      counterpart of US Congress Youth Committee.

Q:    Is PRC government aware of your trip to USSR?

CHEN: Yes, we noticed PRC embassy in Washington DC, but we so far haven't
      received any response.

Q:    What attitudes are Soviet Union and US governments taking toward your
      trip?

CHEN: Both governments give IFCSS great help in our application for USSR entry
      visa and US advance parole.  US State Dept. assures USSR that we'll be
      able to return to US, and Soviet Union embassy issued us visa promptly
      after USSR foreign minister Mr. Shevardnaze called them directly though
      many of us bear the passports that do not quite meet with the strict
      requirements for visa application and exit/entry.

Q:    Pleae comment on the fcat that Soviet Union and Taiwan started restoring
      their relationship.

CHEN: If we take consideration of people's interests of both countries, and
      see far, it's a correct approach.

WANG: If Taiwan handles the relationship properly, it will benefit the people
      of both countries.

SHI:  Since we are from mainland China and now in the US, we believe we can
      contribute to the improvemnet on the relationship among USSR, maniland
      China and Taiwan.

Q:    Whom of Soviet leaders do you expect to meet in your trip to USSR?

CHEN: Of course we hope to meet Mr. Gobachev, we prepared a present for him,
      an age-old-look metallic map.

Q:    How many members are there in IFCSS delegation?

WANG: Twenty-four.  Mr. Ke, Gang decided not to go this time.  His passport
      was confiscated after he mailed it to PRC embassy for renewal.  Although
      US INS issued him advance parole which he may use to return to the US,
      he still feels unsecure to go, so we have only 24 now.

(Original received on phone in Chinese, translated by CND editor Bo Xiong)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Readers' Comments:  Former IFCSS President Would Like to Participate
    in the Proposed Exchange Plan to Free PRC Political Prisoners   (45 lines)
==============================================================================

I.   Dear Sir: I was greatly impressed by your proposal.  I agree with you
     that "if no one goes back, the circumstances in China will never change
     to allow us to go back".  As students who love their motherland and
     democracy, we need to do more back in our home, besides in the United
     States.  To do so, I will suggest you to call a few people to form a
     working committee, to draft a careful proposal, to collect a list of all
     these people who are willing to participate.  Then think about actions!
     As I am the former president of IFCSS, the Chinese government may not want
     me. But I will like to participate in your program, and prefer to go back
     anytime when is possible to me.
     To help the program, I will ecounrage all the Chinese students federations
     in the world to support, by using the Global Chinese Students Union
     Network. So I would like to have a copy of your proposal to publish in
     the Global Chinese Students Union Newsletter, to let more organizations
     to participate in.
     Whenever there is anything I might be able to help, please let me know.
     Thanks!!	(From: Liu, Yong-chuang, Dept. of Sociology, Stanford Univ.)

II.  I think the idea for the plan represents a good willing of lots of us
     fellow PRCers to do something for our country.  I would like to exchange
     my "luxury" life for a better China.  We would like to make a deal if our
     opponent is sincere and noble. But our opponent never have kept a promise
     to interlectuals longer than ten years.  If we went back, the Government
     may release a political prisoner for a month or a year.  Then by some "Mo
     Xu You"(not existing) reasons, he might be caught in jail again.  And we,
     as the supporter of the prisoner, will take some responsibility again.
     Comparing to the Government, we are too weak to make a deal. The Exchange
     Plan is a good idea but irrealistic.

III. It is really exciting while I read the short article from Mr.Li about his
     proposal for "An excgange plan to free PRC political prisoners" and his
     latter comment to show his willingness to go back China to serve our
     country and people.
     Honestly, I am long time dismayed by the fact that China News Digest has
     being overwhelmed by inumerable tricks to take advantage of Bush's
     charity. And lots of people seemed to intentionally exaggerate the danger
     they will met if they go back China.  That is the evidence of lack of
     confidence to be a human being, not to mention to be a Chinese.
     Please pass my respect to [email-masked] at your convenience.  And I
     want to subscribe to China News Digest now since there is really some
     interesting information (previously, it was transferred to me by my
     friend). Thank you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. CND Q&A COLUMN ON VISA/JOB/LEGAL MATTERS (No. 23)		    (80 lines)
==============================================================================
From: CND Q&A Editor Bo Xiong <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 90

NOTE: All discussions on this column are for readers' information only, one
      should consult his/her lawyer or proper professionals before handling
      his/her own visa/job/legal matters.

I. Standard PRC Birth and No-Criminal-Offense Certificate
---------------------------------------------------------
Q: From  [email-masked]
   Can you show me the standard wording of PRC Birth Certificate?  Since
   I have difficulty in getting the document and want to try the alternatives
   mentioned in CND Q&A No.20, I need to know what it looks like exactly.

A: Sure, you should provide the same information as PRC standard certificate
   provides, here are the standard English wording for the two certificates
   a CND reader provided (both were issued in January, 1988):

   1) The text of PRC Birth Certificate
   This is to certify that *** **** (female) was born on April, 12, 1960 at
   Nanjing city, Jiangsu province.  Her father's name is *** **** and her
   mother's name is **** ****.

   2) The text of No-Criminal-Offence Certificate
   This is to certify that *** **** (female, born on April, 12, 1960,now
   residing in U.S.A.), has no record of committing offences against the
   criminal law during her residence in China.

   Note: The signature of the notary and the seal of the notary office were
   born in the Chinese original, the English version was bounded with Chinese
   version.

II. More about Using US Advance Parole to Apply for PRC Exit Permit
-------------------------------------------------------------------
After we published a CND reader's experience in using US advance parole to
apply for PRC exit permit (as a private affair passport bearer and a H-1er)
in Q&A No.19, another reader sent us his recent experience in more detail, we
would like to take the opportunity of thanking him for providing the valuable
info.  However, readers are still REMINDED of that PRC Consulate in New York
has announced that US advance parole cannot be recongnized as valid US entry
in PRC and a CND reader reported that a Chinese student has got trouble as we
discussed in Q&A No.11. and No.19.   By the way, the color photo is required
to apply for US advance parole.

>From: *****@***.****.edu Wed Nov 14 20:08:04 1990

Dear editor,

I used to hold J-1 visa on my public affair passport, and changed my visa to
F-1 upon April 11's president order. This past summer, as I missed my family
very much, I took the chance of not coming back to visit China. The decision
was made even shorter than one month when I left. The International Student
Office advised me to get an identification from Chinese officer in charge of
students here. I wrote a letter to PRC Chicago Consulate claiming my intention
to visit home and my current student status.  They issued a stamped id letter
to me within one week. Then I called them asking if it was safe for me to get
out of China, the answer was 'nobody can guarantee you.'  I got the advance
parole in my INS district office in twenty minutes!

Still I left here on August 14. It took me ten days to get the exit permission
in Beijing Language Institute. It is very interesting that my advance parole
clearly states my current status is F-1, but the officer just asked if my visa
was J-1 and checked the old visa stamp on the passport.  No copies of both the
passport and the advance parole were left.  I was just informed of that after
ten days to pick up the permission.

It is my experience that almost everybody who is interested in the passport or
visa knows the adjustment of the status and the advance parole, so the officer
in the Language Institute definitely knows the change of status. However, both
the officer and the border police let me go out.  I hope this is not the
special treatment for the Asian Games, which was opened right after I left.

P.S. I personally have been keeping communication with Prof. Lizhi Fang.  My
letter to the Chinese Government demanding to free Prof. Lizhi Fang and his
wife per Human Rights in China was printed in the CND, and my personal letter
to Prof. Fang in 1988 was lost.  So it is quite possible that the Government
kept the blind eye on our students already abroad.
--------------------------------------------------(The end of the letter)

***  Send your question to  [email-masked]
***  Contact [email-masked] for the back issues of CND-US
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
+------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Editor of this issue: Bo Xiong	 E-mail: [email-masked]	 |
|                             - - - - - - -                              |
| Last CND-US Package sent on Nov. 19, 1990.				 |
|                             - - - - - - -                              |
| To Subscribe China News Digest, send "SUB CHINA-NN Firstname Lastname" |
| to: [email-masked].  Send "UNSUB CHINA-NN" to same address to |
| cancel subscription. Send news contribution to [email-masked] |
|                             - - - - - - -                              |
| For technical matter, contact: Wei Wu, E-mail: [email-masked] |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------+