Subject: CND-US, November 12, 1992

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1992 23:07:58 EST

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

			       (US Regional)
			Thursday, November 12, 1992

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| CND-US, normally 1 or 2 issues a week, is a supplement to CND-Global and |
| has  basically no overlap with the daily news.  CND-US provides in-depth |
| information concerning Chinese students/scholars in the United States.   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Table of Contents                                                 # of Lines
============================================================================
1. News Brief (3 Items) ................................................. 34
2. IFCSS Reports Problem with State Department's
   Interpretation of Chinese Student Protection Act ..................... 40
3. ACP Opens New Local Chapter; Calls for Papers on Hi-Tech R&D ......... 55
4. Conference News (2 Items) ............................................ 63
5. INS Sued over Green Card Exchange .................................... 28
6. Fortune Cookies to Be Marketed in China .............................. 54
============================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. News Brief (3 Items) ................................................. 34
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A group of young scholars are calling for establishing the Institute of
China Development Strategies (ICDS). The purpose of the proposed Institute
is to use the collective experience, wisdom and influence of its members and
CSS at large to provide intellectual inputs on the development strategies
for China, long term as well as short term, macroscopic as well as
microscopic.  Using their collective expertise as well as their contacts it
is believed that CSS can contribute in every imaginable area, such as
communications, transportation, energy, microelectronics, finance,
management, etc.  Interested parties can contact Wei Ren, chairman of the
ICDS Founding Committee, Dept. of EECS at U.C. Berkeley, at the address
<[email-masked]>. (From: Wei Ren <[email-masked]>)
			       ___  ___  ___

Professsor Zhu Hungyuan deceased on November 4. By his death the Chinese
physics community lost a veteran theoretical particle physicist and an
eminent teacher, whose students are now leading the researach and
educational work at various institues and universities spread over this
country. Professor Zhang Wenyu, the former director of the Institue of High
Energy Physics and a prominent cosmic ray physicist, deceased on November 5
in Beijing. (From: <[email-masked]>)
			       ___  ___  ___

Over the past year, the vast majority of the Labor Certificates I have filed
have been for PRCs for non-teaching positions, which require extensive
advertising and documentation. I would appreciate hearing from colleagues
across the country: are you continuing to start new LC applications for
PRCs, or are you taking a wait-and-see position until the INS regulations
come out and clear up questions? I must admit, though, that the recent IFCSS
communication stating that "Pearl Chen", presumably the Pearl Chang we all
know and love, is in charge of the program struck fear to my heart. Will the
forthcoming regulations be as kind, gentle and clear as the past F-1
regulations were? If so, we'd better start cranking out Labor Certificates
immediately! (From: NAFSA Network, forwarded by Bo Xiong)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. IFCSS Reports Problem with State Department's
   Interpretation of Chinese Student Protection Act ..................... 40
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Source: IFCSS HQ NR-4066, 11/10/92

The State Department has already begun to interpret the provisions contained
in the Chinese Student Protection Act (CSPA).  According to Mr. Seaton
Stapleton, Chief of the Immigrant Visa Control Division, the immigrant visa
numbers allotted to PRC nationals under the CSPA would be limited to those
available under the employment-based third preference category.

In a statement released by Ms. Laura Reiff, one of IFCSS legal advisers in
Arent/Fox, it is pointed out that in order to make immigrant visas available
to these PRC nationals, Congress, in Section a(4), waived the numerical
level of section 202(a)(2) of the Immigration and Naturalization Act as it
pertains to China.  Congress intended to allow PRC nationals to use excess
visas under the TOTAL world-wide numerical limit, not just one category
under the world-wide total.

The statement also pointed out:

"Limiting the visa numbers to the employment-based category is illogical and
impractical for the following reasons:

1. PRC nationals who apply for an immigrant visa under the CSPA would be
   required to wait for approximately five to ten years to obtain their
   visa.

2. PRC nationals waiting for their visa would have no status. The INS would
   either need to give them special work authorization or ask them to leave
   the country until their visa is available.

3. Other foreign nationals would also be required to wait many years for
   their immigrant visas under this employment category."

The HQ officers are working closely with the legal advisers to correct State
Department's interpretation. It is mostly likely that many other problems
will emerge when INS starts to set the implementation procedures. The IFCSS
HQ will closely monitor the development.

The State Department interpretation can be found in State Department's Visa
Bulletin for November 1992. "This legislation [S1216] accords beneficiaries
Employment THIRD Preference status in the classification for skilled
workers. As such, they are subject to the regular worldwide annual numerical
limit on immigrants in that preference."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. ACP Opens New Local Chapter; Calls for Papers on Hi-Tech R&D ......... 55
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[11/09/92] Association of Chinese Professionals (ACP) Philadelphia/Delaware
Valley local chapter was established on Nov. 7, 1992.  The first meeting
featured two speakers: Dr.  Kuai Wen-Ming, ACP President and the initiator
of ACP; and Professor Shan Wei-Jian of Wharton Business School, University
of Pennsylvania.  More than 50 people attended the meeting, most of whom are
individuals who have obtained advanced degrees in the US, and now working in
educational/research institutes, industry, or beginning their own business.
Dr. Kuai briefed the history of ACP and its undergoing project, especially
the interactions with China.  Prof. Shan gave a very vivid presentation
about the current economic situation in China, based upon his close
interaction with China in recent years, including a training program in
business management for Chinese government officials.  He predicts an
encouraging economic perspective of China, which is crucial to the future of
ACP in both business opportunities and research cooperation with peers in
China.  There are several interesting statistics he presented:

* In 1984, there were one million "village enterprises" (which was already a
large number in the world); in this year, this number grows to 20 million,
almost equal to the population of Taiwan.  These village enterprises employ
more than one hundred million of population, close to the population of
Japan.

* In the past 14 years of reform, the average GNP growth rate of China is
highest in the world, and such speed is unprecedent in any country of the
similar economic size at any time in history.

* International trade takes up 37% of China's total GNP this year.  This is
astounding even compared with the largest trading countries in the world: in
the US, trade takes up 17% of GNP, while in Japan, 21%.

For further information on the ACP Philadelphia/Delaware Valley local
chapter, please contact Prof. Shao Lingxiong ([email-masked])
(Reported by: Huangxin Wang)
			       ___  ___  ___

ACP is sending a delegation to Shenzhen, China to participate in the Forum
on High-Tech R&D for Advancement of Economy. The topics of the forum are:

1) Means of applying science and technology in the economy;
2) High-Tech development and the reform of traditional enterprise;
3) The functions of research institutes and universities in High-Tech
   industry;
4) The role of international cooperations of science in the advancement of
   technical transfer.

Short articles on the above topics are currently being solicited. These
articles will be printed and published as ACP's publications. The Chinese
version will also be published and authors will be notified on which
articles will need to be translated into Chinese. A certain amount of
compesation may be available upon publication.

For more information or comments, please contact Huamin Ma, Ph. D, ACP US
West Coordinator, ACP-California Chairperson, 702 Bolton Walk 104, Goleta,
CA 93117, or at the e_mail address <[email-masked]>. The deadline is
December 1, 1992. (From: Huamin Ma <[email-masked])

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Conference News (2 Items) ............................................ 63
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 3rd International Conference for Young Computer Scientists will be held
in Beijing, China, July 15-17, 1993.  The conference is devoted mainly to
the computer professionals under 40 worldwide to provide an opportunity for
them to communicate research achievements. The conference is held every two
years. The 2nd conference was held at the Fragrant Hill Hotel in Beijing in
July 18 - 20, 1991. It was attended by 200 delegates form 12 countries. The
proceedings of the conference, published by International Academic
Publishers, is about 800 pages.  The focus of the ICYCS'93 is "Towards
Future of Computer Science and Applications". Topics of interests include
the following areas:

Architectures
Artificial Intelligence
Artificial Neural Networks
CAD & CAE & CAI & CAM & computer Graphics
Computer vision & Robotics
Database
Foundation of Computer Science
Networks & Distributed Processing
Pattern Recognition & Image Processing
Software Engineering & Tools, Applications

For more information, please contact Prof Charles X. Ling, Department of
Computer Science at University of Western Ontario, at the address
<[email-masked]>. The deadline of submission is Nov. 15, 1992.
(From: Charles X. Ling <[email-masked]>)
			       ___  ___  ___

The International Astronomical Union Colloquium No. 145 on Supernovae and
Supernova Remnants will be held in Xian, China, May 24 - 29, 1993. Topics of
the meeting will include

Observations and classification of supernovae
Supernova rates in galaxies
Supernovae and the cosmic distance scale
Evolution of supernova progenitors
Supernova nucleosynthesis
Core collapse, neutrino emission, and formation of compact
     objects.
Explosion dynamics
X-rays and gamma rays from supernovae
Observations and interpretation of SN1987A
Spectrum formation in supernovae
Interaction of supernovae with circumstellar matter
Radio and X-ray emission from supernovae
Radio, infrared, optical, UV, and X-ray observations from
     supernova remnants and their interpretation
Supernova remnants and compact objects
Historical supernovae

The Colloquium will last six days, in order to allow time for topical
workshops and excursions.  Each day there will be approximately five invited
summary talks of typically 45 minutes each, with 15 minutes for discussion.
There will be no parallel sessions.  Contributed (posters only) papers are
welcome, and people will have ample opportunities to discuss their work in
informal working groups.

For more information, please contact Richard McCray, JILA, University of
Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309-0440, USA or at the e_mail address
<[email-masked]> (From: <[email-masked]>)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. INS Sued over Green Card Exchange .................................... 28
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forwarded by: A CND Reader
Source: UPI, 11/6/92

MIAMI -- Immigration advocates have filed a lawsuit challenging a federal
rule that will require tens of thousands of permanent foreign-born residents
to return their green cards and pay a $70 fee for new cards.

The class action lawsuit was filed in Miami federal court by the American
Immigration Law Foundation on behalf of three Cuban-born residents of Miami
and two Mexican-born residents of Brownsville, Texas.  The defendant is the
U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service.

At issue is a rule adopted by the INS in June. It requires permanent U.S.
residents who are citizens of other nations to return their residency cards,
commonly called green cards, and pay a $70 fee to obtain new ones.

The rule applies to all who obtained their cards before 1978. It was
intended to improve enforcement, to make the cards uniform, and to help the
INS provide services to card-holders more efficiently.

The lawsuit said the INS violated its own rules, as well as the Immigration
and Nationality Act, the Administrative Procedure Act, the Independent
Offices Appropriation Act of 1982, and the due process clause of the Fifth
Amendment.

The rule affects card-holders nationwide. The Miami lawsuit was filed only
on behalf of class members living in the INS' southeastern region, which
covers Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi.

Similar lawsuits were expected in other regions.  INS officials in Miami
could not immediately be reached for comment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
6. Fortune Cookies to Be Marketed in China .............................. 54
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forwarded by: Charles Mok
Source: The New York Times via San Jose Mercury News, 11/09/92

Thanks to the Brooklyn-based Wonton Food Co., China will soon have fortune
cookies.

Until now the cookies, which cap off just about every meal in most of
America's 30,000 Chinese restaurants, have been unknown and have gone
untasted in China.  Like hot dogs, pizza and, more particularly, chop suey,
they are essentially American concoctions.

But Wonton Foods, which produces a million fortune cookies a day in New
York, has decided to go east with the fortune cookie.  "We just signed a
joint-venture agreement with the Guangzhou Municipal Foodstuffs Machinery
Corp. to build and operate a fortune cookie plant," said Donald H. Lau, the
company's vice president.  He said he expected production to begin in about
eight months.

Lau said he did not believe the fortunes needed to be approved by government
or party censors.  "Those days are over," he said.  Still, he noted, in
terms of style, the Chinese fortunes are more elliptical than the American
variety, which essentially foretell in a straight forward manner good
health, growing wisdom, increasing riches, much love and ever greater
sexiness.

He offered a few of the Chinese fortunes picked at random: "True gold fear
no fire," "Heaven never seals all exits," "The only way to catch a tiger cub
is to go into the tiger's den," and "Constant grinding can turn an iron rod
into a needle."

Asked whether turning rods into needles was good or bad, he replied, "I
don't know."

In anticipation of starting up in Guangzhou, Wonton's partners in the
booming Chinese city have sent many hundreds of fortunes to Lau to be
translated into English.  The idea is to have each cookie contain a fortune
printed on one side in Chinese and the other in English, because the first
customers are expected to be hotels and restaurants in China and Hong Kong
that cater to foreigners and overseas Chinese.

While it is generally accepted that the first cookie was made in this
century by Chinese immigrants to the United States, some writers have
contended that the development here echoed an ancient event in Chinese
history.  It occurred in the 12th century, when, during a revolt against the
Mongols, rebel monks passed conspiratorial plans in moon cakes.  Moon cakes,
however, look more like cinnamon buns than fortune cookies.

A more specific account, altogether ignoring any notion of a culinary
subconscious, credits George Jung with inventing the fortune cookie at the
Hong Kong Noodle Co., which he founded in Los Angeles in 1916.  According to
"Madam Chu's Chinese Cooking School," a book by Grace Zia Chu, Jung came up
with the cookie either to cheer up customers depressed by World War I or to
keep them amused while they waited for their orders.

Three years ago, an entrepreneur in Hong Kong began importing fortune
cookies and selling them as luxury items in a chain of fancy delicatessens.
They were advertised as "Genuine American Fortune Cookies."

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|   Editor of This Issue: Zuofeng Li    Coordinating Editor: Bo Xiong      |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  China News Digest (CND) offers the following services:                  |
|     (1) Global News (daily)        (2) US Regional News                  |
|     (3) Canada Regional News       (4) Europe & Pacific Regional News    |
|     (5) Hua Xia Wen Zhai (a weekly Chinese magazine)                     |
|     (6) several information packages.                                    |
|  To subscribe or get help, mail to:   [email-masked]           |
|  To contribute news, please send to:  [email-masked]                |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+