Subject: CND-US, March 5, 1993

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1993 23:32:45 EST

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                                (US Regional)

                           Friday, March 5, 1993

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| CND-US, normally 1 or 2 issues a week, is a supplement to CND-Global and |
| has  basically no overlap with the daily news.  CND-US provides in-depth |
| information concerning Chinese students/scholars in the United States.   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Table of Contents                                                 # of Lines
============================================================================
1. News Briefs (7 Items) ................................................ 54
2. IFCSS President Writes Clinton on China's Human Rights Situation ..... 40
3. IFCSS Officers Meet with INS on Implementation of S. 1216 ........... 119
4. IT-China News: Lecturers Wanted for Summer School in China;
                  Job Opportunity in Singapore .......................... 32
5. Letter from a Reader: Need Info on 1989 Student Activist Wang Bin .... 32
6. International Symposium of Young Investigators on Information\
   Computer\Control ..................................................... 67
============================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. News Briefs (7 Items) ................................................ 54
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Chinese Graduate Student Association at University of Maryland will host
a lecture series of "Past and Future of China" in the next two months.  Mr.
Zheng Yi and his wife Bei Ming will give a talk on cannibalism practiced on
political enemies during the Cultural Revolution in Guangxi Province at
2:00pm, Saturday, March 6, 1993 in Physics Building 1410, Univ. of Maryland,
College Park. Zhang Lang-lang will give a talk on March 20 for the series.
(From: Dong Chen <[email-masked]>)
                               ___  ___  ___

The Yale China Forum will host a special lecture on today's China at 10:30
am, Sunday, March 7. The invited speaker is Liu, BinYan. The lecture is
titled "Deng XiaoPing Created a Miracle? -- can China achieve moderation
without political reform?" It will be held at Room 220, Dunham Labs, 10,
Hillhouse Ave.  (From: [email-masked])
                               ___  ___  ___

The Chinese Student Association of the State University of New York at
Buffalo invites participation in the First Annual UB Volleyball Tournament
'93.  This event will take place on Sunday, April 18, 1993.  All games will
be played in Alumni Arena at The University of Buffalo's Amherst Campus.
Entry fee for this event will be $70.00 per team and $130.00 for two teams
(one Men and one Co-ed). The deadline of registion is Sunday, April 4, 1993.
For more information please contact Vincent Ip at (716) 645-5459, or write:
Chinese Student Association, 350 Student Union, SUNY at Buffalo, Amherst, NY
14260. (From: [email-masked])
                               ___  ___  ___

Overseas Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics Alumni
Association (Bei3 Hang2 Xiao4 You3 Hui4) was setup on Jan. 22, 1993.  It has
80 or more members now.  The Association publishes a monthly newletter and
calls for registration, local coordinators, board members from among BUAA
alumni. For registration with the association, send mail to
<[email-masked]>.
                               ___  ___  ___

Zhongshan University will celebrate Prof. Wang Qi's sixty-year teaching
career this month. Wang Qi is a well-known professor at the Department of
Chinese Language and Literature. A congratulation letter is being drafted
for the occasion. Graduates of Zhangshan University may send name,
graduation year, and department to Yajun Yang at <[email-masked]> for
inclusion in the letter.  (From: Yajun Yang <[email-masked]>)
                               ___  ___  ___

BeiDaFu alumni may receive a copy of Beijing University's High School
Directory (Bush's Directory) by sending a self-designed entry, or simply
name(last,first), address(home, office), phone #(home, office), email
address, years at BeiDaFu, and any other info to share with schoolmates to
<[email-masked]>. (From: Liu Yong <[email-masked]>)
                               ___  ___  ___

A law firm in Philadelphia wants to hire a Chinese student of Law.
Specialty must be in immigration/international business (Far East) For more
information, please contact Zhang Qingsong in the IFCSS HQ at
<[email-masked]>. (From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. IFCSS President Writes Clinton on China's Human Rights Situation ..... 40
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Source: IFCSS HQ News Release No. 4106, March 1, 1993. Excerpted by CND.

IFCSS President Geng Xiao has written a cover letter to U.S. President
Clinton in presenting to him the IFCSS Human Rights Report.  The letter asks
for continued concern from Clinton over the human rights situation in China.

The letter says that "With the generous support of the American people,
IFCSS has succeeded in bringing international pressure to bear upon the
repressive Chinese government.

However, because of the relatively weak stance taken by the previous U.S.
administration towards the Chinese government, we fell far short of what
could have been accomplished. The fact that for three consecutive years a
bill to attach human rights conditions to China's most-favored-nation trade
status (MFN) failed to be enacted has led the Chinese government to believe
that no sanction would ever materialize."

The letter continued to say that "This is why that back in last September,
Chinese students home and abroad were greatly encouraged by your campaign
statements related to China's MFN status and the proposed Radio Free Asia
project.  This is also why the Chinese government has released Wan Dan, who
topped the 21 students on the most-wanted list after the June 4th Massacre,
a few months before he was to complete his four-year term. For the first
time since the 1989 crackdown, the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) is not sure
that it can avoid economic sanctions without making a few gestures."

The letter pointed out that many students remain in Chinese prisons for
charges related to 6.4. and that the Chinese Government could free all
prisonders of conscience in China if it were sincere in improving human
rights situation, and concluded that "It is high time to press for
fundamental and genuine improvements!"

The letter ended with charges that "Only recently, lobbyists sent by special
interest groups have descended on Washington D.C. to whitewash China's human
rights record. Armed with money and power, they are determined to prevent
any economic sanctions against the Chinese government," and pleaed to the
conscience of the Clinton Administration and the U.S. Congress, saying that
"There's got to be some justice in this world! If even the United States
could not stand firm for human rights, what a painful disillusion there
would be for the souls of those who, inspired by the American dream of
democracy and freedom, have courageously laid down their young lives under
the tanks!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. IFCSS Officers Meet with INS on Implementation of S. 1216 ........... 119
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Source: IFCSS HQ News Release No. 4108, March 4, 1993. Excerpted by CND.

On Friday, February 19, 1993, IFCSS officers and IFCSS legal advisers had a
meeting with two top INS officers to discuss the implementation of the 1992
Chinese Student Protection Act. The IFCSS officers' impression of the
meeting is that INS officials have a good understanding of the purposes of
the Protection Bill and they have taken steps to prepare for the
implementation of this Act. Many common grounds were found in the
discussion, but there are also some differences.  Participants in the
meeting include Geng Xiao, IFCSS President, Zhang Qingsong, IFCSS Executive
Director and Chairman of IFCSS-CCSA (Committee on Student Affairs), as well
as IFCSS legal advisers Lynda Zengerle of Arent Fox, Eleanor Pelta of Arent
Fox, and Laura Reiff of Baker & McKenzie. INS Chief of Immigration Branch Ed
Skerritt and Rita Boie, the examiner who is drafting the regulations for
implementation of the Act, represent the INS in the meeting.

Q1: What kind of chance does this act have to go into implementation? Will
President Clinton kill this act by certifying to Congress that it is safe
for the students to return?

A: Of course, you cannot totally exclude such a possibility. But, INS
officers said that it is very unlikely that President Clinton will make such
a certification to Congress.

Q2: What is the attitude of INS toward the act? Has INS started preparation
for the implementation?

A: INS has started preparation for the implementation. Ms. Rita Boie is the
officer in charge of drafting the regulations. INS said: "We hope to have
the regulations out as soon as possible."

Q3:  When can we see the official regulations?

A: Because the new commissioner (of INS) has not been appointed, the
regulations won't come out until perhaps April. In April, INS will publish
an interim regulation and then a final regulation (thus omitting a public
comment period because the time is so short). Urged by IFCSS
officers/advisers, INS officers agreed to explore the possibility to issue
the regulations at an earlier date.

Q4.  Were there any quotas? What are they?

A: The Act provided that the total number of Chinese adjusted in a fiscal
year should not exceed worldwide total cap. According to our estimation,
between July 1 and October 1 of this year, there are nearly 40,000 quotas
available. The rest have to wait for the quotas from the coming years.

Q5.  If INS start to accept applications on July 1, can it approve 40,000
applications in three months (July 1-Sept. 30)?

A: INS: We want to approve as many applications as possible in order to
fully use the 40,000 quotas coming from the past year and this year. For
that purpose, we will start to accept applications prior to July 1. IFCSS
officers/advisers had planned to sell this "preprocessing" idea to the INS
officers and were glad that the INS was on the same "wave length" on this
issue.

Q6.  Could you explain the 90 day limit?

A: 90 days limit applies for the period between April 11, 1990 and October
9, 1992. Visits to China during that period should not exceed 90 days
cumulatively. Otherwise, he/she is ineligible for the benefits of this act.

IFCSS officers/advisers raised the issue of people being held involuntarily
in China for more than 90 days (sick, detained by the government, etc.). INS
officers agreed to consult INS General Counsel on this issue.

Q7.  Could you explain the "brief casual and innocent" clause?

A: This is a very vague clause. It should be handled on a case by case
basis. However, INS officers indicated that they would take a liberal
interpretation of the clause, allowing for lengthy absences from the U.S.
for scholarly purposes. We take their statements to mean that this phrase
would be administered generously in the regulations.

Q8: What kind of documents do applicants need to prepare? Is birth
certificate necessary?

a: IFCSS officers/advisers pointed out that it is impossible for the
students to have official certificates. Under the circumstance, INS is
willing to accept secondary evidences such as passport, diploma, etc.

Q9:  Will interviews be required?

A: If the applications are prepared properly and evidences of eligibility
are sufficient, the interviews may be waived.

Q10: Will dependents who arrive after April 11, 1990 be allowed to adjust
their status in the same time?

A: This is the area in which the major differences appeared.  IFCSS
officers/advisers stated that dependents come after April 11 1990
(hereinafter "nonqualifying dependents) should be allowed the same benefits
as the principles have (immediate adjustment, work authorization, etc.)

INS officers, however, insisted that nonqualifying dependents are not
covered by the Act. They would be considered derivative beneficiaries in the
Third Preference Category and would have to await visa availability in that
category.  Written comments will be provided to INS on this issue.

Q11: Are those who entered the U.S. without inspection eligible for the act?

A: INS held that individuals who entered the country without inspection
(EWI) would not be eligible for adjustment of status under the Act, as entry
without inspection is an exclusion ground not specifically waived under the
Act. We pointed out that the Act applies to all PRC nationals who were
eligible under the Executive Order, and this included those who enter
without inspection.

Q12: Where will the applications be mailed to?

A: INS officers stated that they believed that the applications would
probably be processed through the four regional processing centers of the
INS.

Q13: Will students who have accepted state or federal aid be excluded on
ground of public charge?

A: INS officers said that this does not lead to exclusion on the ground of
public charge.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. IT-China News: Lecturers Wanted for Summer School in China;
                  Job Opportunity in Singapore .......................... 32
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From: Bo Cai <[email-masked]>
Date: Wednesday, Mar 3 1993

The IT-China summer school is therefore aimed at introducing European
information technology industry, market and its impact on modern society.
Main IT products currently available in the market and their basic
functionalities will also be analysed. The course will be coupled with
demonstrations, video shows and substantial case studies. The Chinese
Academy of Science has given unreserved backing for the planed IT-CHINA
"IT-China products & Market 93" summer school and exhibition . The Academy
will host the event and provide all the financial support. The summer school
will be held during the last two weeks of September, 1993.  Five lecturers
for the summer school are required urgently. Candidates for the lecture
positions should possess be a Ph. D. holder or/and have extensive industrial
experience in computing or computing related areas, fluent Madarin speaker,
and has preferably working experience in teaching or industry.  Free return
tickets to Beijing and two weeks living allowance in Beijing will be
provided to successful candidates. For more information, please contact Dr.
Yike Guo, Preparatory Committee of IT-China Summer School, 80 Laangdale
Avenue, Mitcham, Surrey CR$ 4AF, United Kindom.  email: <[email-masked]>
                               ___  ___  ___

The L&M Group is a large Singapore based company , listed on the stock
exchange of Singapore, which is invoved in a range of civil & structure
engineering related activities. The company is fast expanding in the Asia
Pacific regian and is looking for qualiofied engineers for employment
opportunities in three of its groups: 1) L & M Geotechnic; 2) L & M
Structural Systems Divisions; 3) L&M R&D Group.  Candidates should have a
relevant university degree with at least 2 years of industrial experience. A
postgraduate (MSc or PhD) is perferred for those applying for the post R&D
Engneer.  Interested applicants are invited to submit a type-written CV or
fax giving full details of educational qualifications, work experence and
salary expectations with a non-returnable photograph to : International
Manpower Programme, Singapore EDB, 30 Charles II street, London SW1y 4AE,
United Kindom.  Deadline of application is March 14, 1993.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. Letter from a Reader: Need Info on 1989 Student Activist Wang Bin .... 32
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From: Dirk Pleiter, China-Coordinator, German Section, Amnesty International
      <[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, March 1 1993

Wang Bin was reported to have been detained in Nanjing (Jiangsu Province).
His arrest has been announced in a news and press review programm of the
Beijing Domestic Service on 16 June 1989 at 21.30 GMT. Wang Bin's arrest
probably took place between 4 and 16 june. At the time of his arrest, he was
reportedly carrying "dozens of reactionary leaflets" and trying to establish
"illicit ties" in Hehai Univesity in Nanjing. Wang Bin was presumably a
student in Beijing at the time of the protests in spring 1989 and probably
went to Nanjing after the 4 June crackdown.  There has been no news of him
since his arrest. It his unclear wether he was held in Nanjing after his
arrest or sent to Beijing for investigation of his activities there.

Wang Bin is reported to have been arrested for his involvement in the
pro-democracy movement and might be a prisoner of conscience detained for
the peaceful exercise of fundamental human rights. All attempts by amnesty
international to seek information from the Chinese authorities were
unsuccesfull untill now. According to a letter from the Chinese embassy in
Germany they are unable to indentify him. This kind of information from an
embassy is not generally reliable, nevertheless there is some possibility
for this to be tru. Therefor any information about Wang Bin (what did he
study, on which university, where does he come from, ...) and especially the
characters for his name would be extremely helpful. Although many activists
of the 1989 movement were released many continue to be arrested. As long as
there is no more information about Wang Bin one should assume the worse
case.

We would be very happy with any piece of information. Pleace respond to
          postal:  amnesty international
                   postbox 620125
                   W 1000 Berlin 62, FRG
          phone:   0049-30-8915905 (privat)
                       -30-8383742 (work)
          e-mail:  [email-masked]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
6. International Symposium of Young Investigators on Information\
   Computer\Control ..................................................... 67
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From: Yaotong Li <[email-masked]> via Xu Gang
Date: Thursday, March 4, 1993

                            CALL FOR PAPERS
             INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM OF YOUNG INVESTIGATORS
                    ON INFORMATION\COMPUTER\CONTROL
                          February 2-4, 1994
                            Beijing, CHINA

The symposium consists of three workshops and overlap of these workshops is
provided for exchange of common interests and encouragement of
cross-fertilizing. Suggested topics:

                           WORKSHOP I: INFORMATION
    . Image Processing
    . 3D Computer Vision
    . Speech Recognition
    . Character Recognition
    . Sound In Atmosphere, Sea, And Earth
    . Altrasonic And Sonar Systems

                            WORKSHOP II: COMPUTER
    . Foundation of Computer Systems
    . Parallel And Distributed Processing
    . Neural Computing And Its Applications
    . Knowledge Engineering And Expert Systems
    . CAD And Computer Graphics
    . Software Engineering

                            WORKSHOP III: CONTROL
    . Intelligent Processing Control
    . Robotics And Automation
    . Modelling Of Complex Systems
    . Adaptive And Self-Organising Systems
    . Neural Network And Fuzzy Control
    . Discrete Event Systems

Abstract          Four copies of an extended abstract of four pages in
                  English must be   submitted by  July 3, 1993  to the
                  program   chairman  for  review  and  approval.  The
                  extended abstract must headed as follows:

                  Title of the paper:
                  Author's name(s):
                  Affiliation(s):
                  Speaker's name:
                  Name and address for correspondence:

Keynote Speech    Keynote speeches  are  solicited in all areas of the
                  suggested topics.  Keynote  speakers are not subject
                  to nationality or age. Leading researches and experts
                  are encouraged to submit proposed topics to the program
                  chair. Nomination  for  keynote speakers and subject
                  matter are also appreciated.

Important Date    July 3, 1993: Deadline of abstracts
                  September 30, 1993: Notification of acceptance
                  February 2, 1993: Deadline for paper limited to 15 pages

Chairs            Prof. SongDe Ma--General Chair
                  Prof. Yaotong Li--Program Chair
                  Mrs. Wenli Lou--Organizing Chair

                  All three chairs can be reached by mail, phone, or e-mail:
                  Institute of Automation, Academy of Sciences
                  P.O.Box 2728, Beijing 100080, China
                  Tele: 86-1-255-5513, 86-1-256-6666 ext. 1952 or 1953
                  Fax: 86-1-255-1993
                  Email: [email-masked]

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|   Editor of This Issue: Zuofeng Li    Coordinating Editor: Bo Xiong      |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  China News Digest (CND) offers the following services:                  |
|     (1) Global News (daily)        (2) US Regional News                  |
|     (3) Canada Regional News       (4) Europe & Pacific Regional News    |
|     (5) Hua Xia Wen Zhai (a weekly Chinese magazine)                     |
|     (6) several information packages.                                    |
|  To subscribe or get help, mail to:   [email-masked]           |
|  Please send news contributions to:   [email-masked]                |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+