Subject: CND-US, March 29, 1993

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1993 17:31:24 EST

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                                (US Regional)

                         Monday, March 29, 1993

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| CND-US, normally 1 or 2 issues a week, is a supplement to CND-Global and |
| has  basically no overlap with the daily news.  CND-US provides in-depth |
| information concerning Chinese students/scholars in the United States.   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Table of Contents                                                 # of Lines
============================================================================
1. News Briefs (5 Items) ................................................ 39
2. Economic News Briefs (3 items) ....................................... 19
3. IFCSS Opens CSPA Information Center .................................. 30
4. Position in Neural Modelling ......................................... 22
5. Summer Conference for Young Researchers
       in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology .............................. 32
6. Summary of J Regulations (Part I) ................................... 123
============================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. News Briefs (5 Items) ................................................ 39
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[IFCSS-HQ, 3/26/1993] Pung, 7, the only son of Li Li, a biomath graduate
student at the University of Maryland, College Park, was diagnosed with
leukemia, a severe form of blood cancer, in the fall of 1992. After five
months of treatment, Pung's health is improving, but to completely recover,
he needs to be hospitalized in China for six more months with the treatment
of "IdaRubicin", a newly developed medicine from Italy, which costs approxi-
mately 10,000 yen($1,600) per month. Since the family has already exausted
all the savings to cover the bills in the past, the Chinese Graduate Student
Association at University of Maryland, College Park, has set up the PUNG
Foundation to appeal for donations. Every dollar would help. Send your
donations to  P.O. Box 12, Stamp Union, University of Maryland, College
Park, MD 20742. (From: [email-masked])
                               ___  ___  ___

The Chinese National Acrobatic Circus (CNAC) will be performing in Civic
Opera House, Chicago from April 7 to April 11, 1993. To introduce Chinese
culture to American people, CNAC will bring 24 splendid, prize-winning
programs on this first tour in the U.S.. Consisting of over fifty members,
this acrobatic troupe will visit 16 cities on the East Coast for three
months. The next two cities will be Detroit (Masonic Temple Theatre, April
13 to April 18) and Cleveland (Palace Theatre, April 20 to April 22).
(From: Lorna Chen <[email-masked]> )
                               ___  ___  ___

3C company in Chicago is now broadcasting one-hour CCTV news daily through
satellite. It covers mainly political and economic news of mainland China.
There is also a ten-minute Chinese class. The CCTV is followed immediately
by NATV (North American Satellite TV). NATV is also in Chinese, offering
USA and world news, combined mainland China and Hong Kong news, and Taiwan
news. There is a half-hour children program teaching out-of-classroom
things. NATV also carries two hours of TV film everyday. It also broadcasts
lectures on tax filing, stock investment in Asia as well as running business
in America. (From: [email-masked])
                               ___  ___  ___

Former University of Massachusetts Chancellor Joseph Duffy has been named
by President Clinton as the Director of the United States Information
Agency, according to the newspaper The Chronicle. Duffy served as the Umass
/Amherst Chancellor until two years ago when he moved to Washington assuming
the Presidency of American University. He and Clinton became friends when
Clinton was campaigning for Duffy's unsuccessful bid for a U.S. Senate seat
from Connecticut in early 1970s. (From: A CND Reader)
                               ___  ___  ___

[IFCSS-HQ, 3/25/1993] IFCSS President Geng Xiao left D.C. for Los Angeles
yesterday where he will finalize an agreement that will provide long dis-
tance telephone services to Chinese students and scholars. He will then
visit the CSS communities in Southern California and Arizona, including USC,
UCLA, UC Irvine, Claremont Graduate School, UC San Diego, and schools in
Phoenix and Tucson. (From: [email-masked])

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Economic News Briefs (3 items) ....................................... 19
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[AP-DJ, 3/24/1993] WASHINGTON -- The Clinton administration hasn't as yet
signalled any change in U.S. policy toward World Bank lending to China,
according to World Bank officials. The U.S., which has been abstaining from
votes on loans to China earmarked for "non-basic human services," is conti-
nuing that policy under the new administration, officials say. Bank offi-
cials note that a 400-million-dlr loan for railway improvements by China is
scheduled to be submitted Thursday to the bank's executive board for appro-
val. The U.S. is expected to abstain from voting on the loan, according to
bank officials. (Forwarded by: Jian)
                               ___  ___  ___

[PR NEWSWIRE, 3/24/1993] IRVINE, California -- Urethane Technologies Inc.
today announced it has entered into an agreement to license its airless
polyurethane bicycle tire technology to Fore Better International Develop-
ment Co. (FBID), a Taiwan-based corporation with interests in real estate
development in Taiwan and apparel manufacturing operations in the People's
Republic of China. (Forwarded by: Jian)
                               ___  ___  ___

[Knight-Ridger, 3/26/1993] Hong Kong -- Merrill Lynch International Inc. to-
day opened a representative office in Shanghai, the first US securities firm
to do so, the company said in a statement. The Shanghai office will offer
market research and consulting services for international investors wishing
to tap the China market, the statement said. The company is currently
managing overseas and China "B" share domestic listings for several Chinese
firms. It is also involved in managing debt issues for various Chinese banks
and companies. (Forwarded by: Wenfeng)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. IFCSS Opens CSPA Information Center .................................. 30
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Source: IFCSS News Release, 3/25/1993

IFCSS-HQ -- In order to help CSS better understand the 1992 Chinese Student
Protection Act(CSPA), be aware of their rights under the Act, keep informed
of the newest development, and be prepared for the implementation, IFCSS has
decided to establish a CSPA Information Center.

The Center will provide services in the following areas:

1. In the six month period between April and September, 1993, the Center
will publish 4-5 issues of CSPA UPDATE (in Chinese) which will include the
text of the Act, explanations, the draft and the final version of the
implementation regulations, questions and answers on the regulations,
analysis of cases, etc.

2. Before INS starts to accept applications, the Center will notify the
people on the Center's mailing list and will help distribute the applica-
tion forms. (During the meeting with INS officials on Feb. 19, IFCSS dele-
gates asked if INS has plans to distribute the information to the general
Chinese community. INS indicated that that was an unsolved problem. IFCSS
delegates stated that IFCSS can help distribute the information. INS offi-
cials are pleased.)

3. Hire some experienced experts and install special telephone lines to
help the CSS solve any questions that might arise during the implementation
period. (So that IFCSS HQ's normal operations would not be disrupted)

4. The Center will help the IFCSS HQ collect responses, cases and problems.

IFCSS's current manpower and resources cannot afford such an important but
demanding project. Therefore, IFCSS urgently needs all kinds of, specially
financial, support. Without a strong support, the Center will not be able to
provide satisfactory services. If you endorse this plan and wish to obtain
services from the Center, please call or write to the Center at:

     Address:        IFCSS-CSPA Information Center
                     733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440
                     Washington, D.C. 20005
     Tel:            (202)783-5077

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Position in Neural Modelling ......................................... 22
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forwarded by: [email-masked]

A new post-doctoral position in computational neuroscience will be available
at the University of Maryland, College Park, MD starting between June 1 and
Sept. 1, 1993.  This research position will center on modelling neocortical
self-organization and plasticity. Requirements are a PhD in computer
science, neuroscience, applied math, or a related area by the time the
position starts, experience with neural modelling, and familiarity with the
language C.   The position will last one or (preferably) two years. The
University of Maryland campus is located just outside of Washington, DC.

If you would like to be considered for this position, please send via
regular mail services a cover letter expressing your interest and desired
starting date, a copy of your cv, the names of two possible references (with
their address, phone number, fax number, and email address), and any other
information you feel would be relevant to

         James Reggia
         Dept. of Computer Science
         A. V. Williams Bldg.
         University of Maryland
         College Park, MD 20742

or send this information via FAX at (301)405-6707.  (Applications will NOT
be accepted via email.)  Closing date for receipt of applications is March
26, 1993. If you have questions about the position please send email to
[email-masked] .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. Summer Conference for Young Researchers
       in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology .............................. 32
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forwarded by: [email-masked]

Location:  Shanghai, China.
Date:  Aug. 8- Aug. 17.
Subjects:     1.  Protein and polypeptide (including enzymology).
              2.  DNA &RNA and molecular genetics
              3.  Biological technology
Attendants: Must be younger than 45.

Abstracts of research: Detailed abstract including pictures in either
Chinese or English.  Paper should be typed in A4 format and not to exceed
4 pages, laser print.   Please mail to the correspondence before May 10.

Application: 1.   Fill in the application form or write to correspndence
                  before May 30, and send abstract before May 10.
             2.   After consideration by the conference committee,
                  invitation letters will be sent by the Chinese Academy of
                  Science before June 10.   Chinese students studying abroad
                  could then go through related procedures in the Chinese
                  Embassy closest to you, including applying for extension
                  of your passport.  You can also obtain your reentry visa
                  to the country you are studying.

Fees:  There is a $60 application fee.  Limited financial aid will be granted
       to some researchers for one way air travel expenses. Please notify
       whether you need financial aid on your application form.

Language: Chinese will be used during the conference,  there are talks and
          poster sessions  (25 min.)   You can apply for either type and the
          committee will notify you about the nature of your report in the
          invitation letter.

Correspondence:        Mrs.  Zhang Qin
                       Shanghai Institute of Biochemistry
                       Academia Sinica
                       320 Yue Yang Road, 200031
                       Shanghai, China
                       Tel:     86-21-4374430
                       Fax:    86-21-4338357

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
6. Summary of J Regulations (Part I) ................................... 123
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From: Amy Yenkin, NAFSA Central Office. Forwarded by Bo Xiong
Source: NAFSA Update No. 199. 3/23/1993

As was reported earlier, USIA published final regulations for the Exchange
Visitor Program on March 19.  The regulations were published in the Federal
Register (pp. 15179) and, with the exception of insurance and the annual
report, became effective on that date.  Insurance and the portion of the
annual report requiring a numerical count of participant categories become
effective on September 1, 1994.  This means that the annual report filed at
the end of the 94-95 academic year must include a numerical count of cate-
gories of participation.

A summary of the regulations follows.  Many issues will need clarification
in the coming weeks (months?).  Regular updates will be printed in the
Govern- ment Affairs Bulletin.  In addition, NAFSA's Government Regulations
Advisory Committee will be producing a J GRAC Pack.  Finally, the J chapter
of the Adviser's Manual is currently being written.  Because of the extent
of regulatory changes, however, these last two items will not be available
for distribution for at least two to three months.  NAFSA members are
reminded that their GRAC regional reps can also be called for assistance.

Fortunately, some questions regarding immediate implementation issues have
already been addressed.  These cover extensions and transfers, arrival at a
port of entry, and evidence of J status. These issues are discussed
following the summary, at the end of the update.

General Provisions

* Full course of study
USIA states that full course of study means enrollment in an academic
program of classroom participation and study at an accredited educational
institution.  Rather than define the number of credits required to carry a
full course of study, USIA leaves this to the institution to determine.
College and university students are required to register for and complete
a full course of study unless exempted in accordance with reasons outlined
in the college and university section of the rule.

*Designation and redesignation
USIA continues to require all existing sponsors to be redesignated by the
Agency.  Thereafter, sponsors are required to redesignate every five years.
However, sponsors will be able to redesignate by checking a box on the annual
report.  Furthermore, a sponsor will be able to operate it's program unless
otherwise notified by USIA.  Finally, USIA included language which states
that a sponsor must certify that the responsible officer(s) will be provided
sufficient staff and resources.

*Size of Program
USIA has included a provision whereby the size of program requirement can
be lifted in the Agency's discretion.

*Reciprocity
Sponsors are only required to make a good faith effort to achieve the
fullest possible reciprocity in the exchange of persons.  USIA defines
reciprocity loosely and unless otherwise specified does not require a
one-for-one exchange or that exchange visitors be engaged in the same
activity.

*Appointment of Responsible Officer
USIA has retained the right to recommend or direct the replacement of the
responsible officer (RO) or any alternate responsible officer (ARO).
However, this authority is found in the sanctions provisions and due process
is added.

*Orientation
USIA requires that sponsors offer orientation to all exchange visitors.
In addition, sponsors are encouraged to provide orientation for the exchange
visitor's immediate family, although this will not be required.

*Control of Form IAP-66
To obtain copies of the IAP-66, sponsors must submit a written request to
the Agency for a one year supply and allow four to six weeks for the dis-
tribution of these forms.  USIA has the discretion to determine the number
of forms sent to the sponsors, although USIA will take into consideration
the current size of the program and the projected expansion of the program
in the coming twelve months.  Additional forms may be requested during the
year if needed by the sponsor.  Sponsors are required to notify USIA in the
event that a form is presumed lost or stolen and maintain a record of all
IAP-66 forms received and issued.  Sponsors must also request that exchange
visitors and prospective exchange visitors return any unused IAP-66 forms.
Finally, with a written authorization from USIA, sponsors are permitted to
transfer blank IAP-66 forms to another sponsor.

*Insurance
While no changes have been made to the levels of coverage that will be re-
quired, USIA has made an important distinction regarding a sponsor's respon-
sibility to terminate an exchange visitor for failure to carry the proper
coverage.  USIA states that a sponsor is required to terminate an exchange
visitor if the exchange visitor or his or dependent's willfully fail to
maintain proper coverage. The emphasis will be on willful violations.

The main burden for insurance coverage continues to fall on the exchange
visitor and his or her dependents, who must maintain proper coverage as a
condition for participating in and remaining in the exchange visitor pro-
gram. Dependents must also be covered and sponsors are required to advise
exchange visitors of this requirement in writing, in advance of the exchange
visitor's arrival in the United States.

Sponsors shall require each exchange visitor to have insurance in effect
that covers the exchange visitor and his or her dependents for sickness or
accident during the period of participation in the sponsor's program. Mini-
mum levels of coverage must provide medical benefits of at least $50,000 per
accident or illness, repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500, ex-
penses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his
or her home country in the amount of $10,000, and a deductible not to exceed
$500 per accident or illness.  Insurance policies are permitted that include
provisions for co-insurance under the terms of which an exchange visitor is
required to pay up to 25% of the covered benefits per accident or illness.

USIA will accept ratings from Insurance Solvency International, Standard &
Poors, Weiss Research Inc., or other rating services that the Agency may
from time to time specify.  Insurance coverage backed by the full faith and
credit of the government of the exchange visitor's home country also meets
the insurance requirement.

Federal, state, and local government agencies, as well as public colleges
and universities, are able to provide coverage through self insurance, as
are non-government sponsors who can demonstrate to USIA sufficient resources
to self-insure.

*Notification requirements
Unlike earlier proposals which would have required sponsors to notify INS if
the exchange visitor completed or withdrew from a program early, ceased to
maintain exchange visitor status, or was terminated from the program, USIA
has dropped all notifications to INS.

*Annual reports
The annual report requirement has not changed from the proposed rule, how-
ever, USIA will not require the numerical count of categorical participants
until the academic year beginning September 1, 1994.

The requirements for submitting annual reports (on an academic or calendar
year basis) include three components:  1) a brief summary of the activities
in which the exchange visitors were engaged, a description of the nature and
extent of reciprocity, a summary of the cross-cultural activities provided
for exchange visitors, and certification of compliance with insurance re-
quirements; 2) information on IAP-66 usage including the total number of
blank forms received from USIA, the total number of forms voided or des-
troyed, the total number of forms issued to potential exchange visitors that
were returned to the sponsor or not used for entry into the United States,
and the total number and document identification number sequence of all
blank forms in the possession of the sponsor on December 31 of the reporting
year; and 3) the total number of participants in each category of designa-
tion for the reporting period.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|   Editor of This Issue: Sifeng Ma     Coordinating Editor: Zuofeng Li    |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  China News Digest (CND) offers the following services:                  |
|     (1) Global News (daily)        (2) US Regional News                  |
|     (3) Canada Regional News       (4) Europe & Pacific Regional News    |
|     (5) Hua Xia Wen Zhai (a weekly Chinese magazine)                     |
|     (6) several information packages.                                    |
|  To subscribe or get help, mail to:   [email-masked]           |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+