Subject: CND-US, May 15, 1993

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 May 1993 23:36:11 -0500

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                               (US Regional)

                          Saturday, May 15, 1993

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| CND-US, normally 1 or 2 issues a week, is a supplement to CND-Global and |
| has  basically no overlap with the daily news.  CND-US provides in-depth |
| information concerning Chinese students/scholars in the United States.   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Table of Contents                                                 # of Lines
============================================================================
1. News Brief (4 Items) ................................................. 54
2. Pelosi Hopes for New Tenor to China Debate ........................... 53
3. The Beating of Wei Sun: "Purchased House in the Wrong Place" ......... 18
4. Implementation of Chinese Student Protection Act Halted at Request of
   National Council on Chinese Affairs and Members of Congress .......... 76
5. Readers' Comments on
   Implementation of Chinese Student Protection Act (2 Items) ........... 64
============================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. News Brief (4 Items) ................................................. 54
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Chicago Hua Bao (Asian American News), #118, 4/29/93] New York -- The MLZ
(Min2 Lian2 Zhen4) chairman XU Bangtai and MLZ, filed a lawsuit against
those in charge of China Spring magazine - HU Ping, YU Dahai and Xue Wei,
for the ownership of the CS and their wrong doings in money matter. And they
are also accused of "separationists" and helped CCP to subvert overseas
Democracy-organizat- ion in the merge meeting this January. Also accused are
Wan Run-nan, Wang Ruo-wang et al.. (Forwarded by: Bo Xiong, 5/13/93)
                               ___  ___  ___

[News Release #1 of National Council of Chinese Affairs, 5/12/93] The for-
mation of the NCCA was announced on 5/7 by its President Dr. Haiching Zhao,
joined by Prof. Fang Lizhi, at the National Press Club in Washington DC.
According to Zhao, its three basic goals include: to protect the rights of
he Chinese community; to promote human rights improvements, political re-
form and free market economy in China. It will try in its best effort to
affect the USA's China Policy. On the day it was formed, Zhao and Fang met
with the Senate Majority Leader G. Mitchell, National Security Advisor A.
Lake, Deputy Advisor S. Burger, and President's special assistants Nancy
Soderberg and Kent Wiedman. They discussed extensively on issues regarding
the USA's China policy, China's economic and political situation, as well as
the CSPA. During the hour-long White House meeting, Zhao particularly raised
the issue of the CSPA.

The NCCA will be comprised of executive officers, a board of directors and
an advisory committee. It will also establish a nationwide membership sys-
tem. Its tel: (202) 638-4120. (From: Zhao Haiching, <[email-masked]>)
                               ___  ___  ___

[Los Angeles Times, 5/13/93] A rusty and leaking fishing trawler crammed
with 200 illegal immigrants from China was forced Wednesday into San Diego
Harbor by a U.S. Coast Guard cutter, the second such boat to hit the West
Coast in recent weeks. Officials said the immigrants had paid between
$8,000 and $20,000 to make the perilous voyage from the Chinese coast. The
illegal immigrants were immediately taken by bus to the U.S. Immigration &
Naturalization Service holding facility in El Centro to be processed for
deportation. Seven suspected smugglers, as well as nine crewmen from Taiwan,
were taken to the Metropolitan Correctional Center in downtown San Diego to
await arraignment on federal smuggling charges.
(Forwarded by:Stephen Kam Ng <[email-masked]>)
                               ___  ___  ___

[PR NEWSWIRE, 5/14/93] -- Shanghai Airlines has selected Pratt & Whitney's
PW4056 engines to power its five new Boeing 767-300 wide-body aircraft. The
order for 14 installed and spare engines is valued at nearly $100 million to
Pratt & Whitney, a unit of United Technologies Corporation based in Hart-
ford, Conn.. Deliveries will begin in July 1994 and continue through 1998.

Shanghai Airlines has been a P&W customer since 1989, when the first P&W-
powered Boeing 757 entered service with the airline. Shanghai now has three
PW2000-powered 757s in service and will take delivery of two additional air-
craft later this year. The PW4000 is P&W's largest and most powerful engine
family. (Forwarded by: Liu Jian)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Pelosi Hopes For New Tenor To China Debate ........................... 53
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forwarded by: Zhao Hua, 5/14/93
Source: AP, 13/93, By: JIM ABRAMS

WASHINGTON -- Rep. Nancy Pelosi hopes the bill she has spent years promot-
ing, setting conditions on China's trade status, never reaches a vote in
Congress this year.

For three years, Pelosi has helped pass legislation linking U.S.-China trade
to human rights and weapons proliferation issues. Each time, President Bush
vetoed the legislation and renewed unconditional trading status. Again this
year, the San Francisco Democrat has introduced a bill, with wide support in
the House, that would renew MFN status for one year but condition future
renewals to Chinese reforms in human rights, arms dealings and unfair trade
practices. But now there's a Democrat in the White House, and an administra-
tion that says advancing human rights is a pillar of its foreign policy.

"I'm confident about Bill Clinton," Pelosi said in an interview. She
believes Clinton will issue an executive order that incorporates some of her
ideas and eliminates the need for another fractious political battle.

"I'm proud of the legislation, but the president, being the president, can
improve on it," she said. "I consider legislation a last resort."

Rep. Lee Hamilton, D-Ind., chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee,
agreed. Congress has tried to legislate conditions on China "not only as a
means of influencing Chinese behavior, but also because it was the only
available tool for influencing Bush administration policy," he said.

That's no longer necessary, Hamilton said, because "Congress and the
president can now work together in setting U.S. policy."

Pelosi said one possibility is that the administration will link the future
trade status to a better human rights record, but will deal separately with
the issues of arms dealings and the trade imbalance. China recently was
accused of shipping M-11 surface-to-surface missiles to Pakistan in viola-
tion of a 2-year-old pledge to stop such sales.

The congresswoman says she might accept that arrangement. But she insisted
on the importance of her bill, which also urges the Chinese to cease reli-
gious persecution in China and Tibet, end jamming of Voice of America broad-
casts and allow human rights monitors access to trials and prisons.

The votes for passage are there, she said, "and its a good way to get the
attention of the Chinese."

Pelosi said China has done little to improve its human rights record during
three years of unconditioned trade. "It's amazing what American business is
willing to squander to have access to cheap labor," she said. "The Chinese
recognize greed when they see it."

What is important now, the congresswoman said, is to show the Chinese that
Americans are unified in their opposition to repression. "I hope the
president gives us this single voice," she said, crossing her fingers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. The Beating of Wei Sun: "Purchased House in the Wrong Place" ......... 18
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forwarded by: Larry Engelmann <[email-masked]>
Source: San Jose Mercury News, 5/14/93

[Editor: Special thanks to Mr. Larry Engelmann for following up the CND-US
         5/14 report on the beating of Ms. Wei Sun.]

It started this way: Vandals were painting "tags" on a fence near N. 16th
and Julian streets in San Jose. A homeowner saw them and called police.
Angered at the call to the cops, the painters or their pals jumped the
homeowner a couple of nights later and beat him up.  And when the
homeowner's pregnant wife tried to intervene, they beat her, too. Sadly,
nothing to raise many eyebrows in these violent times. But then the
international Chinese press heard of the incident (the wife, a San Jose
State Univ. student, was a star gymnast in Beijing) and printed photos of
her stitched-up face, headlining that she had "Purchased House in Wrong
Place." Local television cameras turned up, taping neighborhood youths
defending the beating as only proper punishment for a snith, and calling the
homeowner a raton. And the homeowner, who asks that he not be identified by
name, said he was selling his home and moving, fearful of future attacks on
his wife. Two 20 year old men have been charged with felony assault in the
beating of the couple.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Implementation of Chinese Student Protection Act Halted at Request of
   National Council on Chinese Affairs and Members of Congress .......... 76
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: World Journal, May 11, 1993
Translated by: Zuofeng Li

At the request of the National Council on Chinese Affairs (NCCA) and members
of the Congress, The White House has ordered the INS to halt operations on
the implementation of the Chinese Student Protection Act (CSPA).

According the Dr. Zhao Haiqing, President of NCCA, INS has completed the
implementation procedures of the CSPA. NCCA requested the halt based on the
understanding that the procedures were unfavorable to applicants. The White
House granted the request on the afternoon of May 10.

Congressman Joe Barton and Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi, who sponsored CSPA,
have also made the same request on behalf of Chinese nationals in the U.S.
to the U.S.  Secretary of State, Mr. Warren Christopher.

Barton and Pelosi, as well as the NCCA, hope that all qualified Chinese
nationals will be able to obtain permanent resident status within one year
from coming July, that their dependents will be able to remain in the U.S.,
and that immigration quotas for national of other countries are not used.

The CSPA was passed by the U.S. Congress in last year, and signed into
law by President Bush on Oct. 9, 1992. The Act indicated that, if the
President does not certitify to the Congress before July of 1993 that
Chinese nationals in the U.S. can return to China safely, all Chinese
nationals under the protection of the April 11, 1990 Presidential Executive
Order will be able to apply for permanent residence in the U.S.

The CSPA states that those covered by the Executive Order will be considered
to be approved for permanent residence application, without regard to
whether immigration quota will be available for them.

At the time, it was understood that the approximately 80,000 Chinese
nationals covered by the Executive Order will be able to obtain permanent
residence starting from the coming July. The immigration quota required will
be deducted in the next 80 years at the rate of 1,000 per year. Of the 1,000
quotas to be deducted, 100 each will be coming from quotas for the 1st, 2nd,
and 3rd employment-based immigration categories for those born in Chinese
Mainland, and 300 will be deducted from the 5th category (investment
immigrant).

However, after the Act was passed by the Congress, the House Judicial
Committee made the interpretation in its report that the number of immigrant
visas issued under CSPA is to be limited by the global yearly number of
immigration quota available to immigrants from all countries. Therefore when
the total immigration quota for a given year is used up, the remaining
applicants covered by CSPA will have to wait till the next fiscal year to
obtain permanent residence in the U.S., instead of immediately.

The State Department interpreted in last year that the immigration quota for
the 3rd category employment-based immigration will be reduced to satisfy the
need of CSPA-covered immigrants, and is limited by the global yearly quota
for 2nd category employment-based immigration. This will use up the global
quota for the 2nd category employment-based immigration.

Zhao Haiqing said that the yearly remaining quota for employment-based
immigration was to be used for 3rd category immigration. According to the
interpretation of the State Department, these will be used for Chinese
nationals under CSPA. This may result in 20,000 applicants not being able to
obtain permanent residence immediately.

The State Department estimates that there will be 46,000 unused employment-
based quota available for this fiscal year, possibly 20,000 for next year.
There is no saying as to what would be available for the 1995 fiscal year.
Some believe that, if the economy turns better, more employment-based
immigrants will be needed, and the unused quota will be fewer. Therefore
after the 66,000 Chinese nationals obtain their permanent residence, the
remaining 20,000 will have to wait for future unused quota.

This interpretation not only dissatisfies Chinese natinals, but also
discomforts nationals of other countries. The unused employment-based
immigration quota is usually given for family-based immigration. Using this
quota for CSPA-based immigration will lengthen the waiting period for
family-based immigration. Zhao Haiqing indicated that the INS implementation
procedures also prevent dependents of CSPA-based immigrants from obtaining
permanent residence at the same time. He said that this would result in the
dependents being deported. According to Zhao, Chinese nationals wish that
INS will allow the dependents to remain in the U.S. until they obtain
permanent residence through normal channels.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. Readers' Comments on
   Implementation of Chinese Student Protection Act (2 Items) ........... 64
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

>From: <[email-masked]>
Date: April 30, 1993
[Name and address withheld per reader's request. - Editor]

Dear Editor: The following letter is also cc'ed to IFCSS HQ at
<ifcss.wam.umd.edu>.

Not long ago, IFCSS warned Chinese students to stay away from lawyers who
claimed that they were well connected and would begin handling immigration
applications right away for Chinese students under the protection.

Then I saw this ad in China Spring, put out by IFCSS-CSPA Information
Center. It suggests that there can only be 40,000 CS's accepted for
immigration this year. The rest have to wait until next year. The center
promises to send critical information and the application form to you
quickly - supposedly, before anybody else can get them. But you must you pay
$50 to "register" with the Center.

Sounds great: for a mere $50, which is much less than what I have
contributed to IFCSS and CND since 1989, you are going to get preferential
treatment in that race. Yes, if you have read into previous IFCSS bulletins,
you would have realized that there will be a race.

However, there are two questions that remain to be answered. First, it seems
to me that email is the fastest and cheapest way to get information around.
Will we still get the latest development in email? If not, why? If yes, then
how would people who pay $50 to get informed feel?

The second question: How can we know that INS will trust the distribution of
forms exclusively to IFCSS? Is the Center going to be the exclusive
distributor or just one of the many distribution channels?  Imagine people
who didn't pay the $50 fee get the form before those who paid. What would
happen? Let's steer clear of any possible major scandal.

My sense is that it would be more appropriate for IFCSS to work with INS and
State to ensure a smooth, orderly implementation of the protection act. It
doesn't seem to me that race condition is unavoidable. If there is cost to
be shared, call on people to contribute. If there are mandatory charges to
be made, explain clearly the reason. $50, $100, or more, I guess people are
willing to pay. But, again, let's not create any scandals.
                               ___  ___  ___

>From: <[email-masked]>. Originally in USENET newsgroup
      Soc.Culture.China.
Date: May 1, 1993

About a month ago, I read an article on CND regarding the so-called
Protection Act and its implementation. It mentioned that IFCSS was in the
process of negotiating with INS and would have some kind of plan ready in
April.

Some time later, CND published an other article saying anyone interested in
knowing more about the Act and Implementation should donate certain amount
of money to IFCSS in order to be on some sort of IFCSS mailing list.

Now, April is over and I have not heard any information regarding this
matter.

Does it imply that people have to donate to IFCSS in order to get certain
information? Where were our resourceful CND volunteers in April?  Is this
some kind of grand scheme to benifit a "privileged" group and make some good
profit out of it?

[Editor's Reply: CND is an independent news distribution service operated by
a group of volunteers. CND has been forwarding IFCSS news releases on CSPA
with the goal of keeping Chinese students and scholars in the U.S. informed.
While recently there has been a lack of information on the implementation of
the CSPA, CND volunteers will keep doing their best for this goal. ]

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|              Editors of This Issue: Xiaowen Li, Zuofeng Li               |
|                Coordinating Editor: Bo Xiong                             |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  China News Digest (CND) offers the following services:                  |
|     (1) Global News (daily)        (2) US Regional News                  |
|     (3) Canada Regional News       (4) Europe & Pacific Regional News    |
|     (5) Hua Xia Wen Zhai (a weekly Chinese magazine)                     |
|     (6) several information packages.                                    |
|  To subscribe or get help, mail to:   [email-masked]                   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+