Subject: CND-US, May 18, 1993

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 May 1993 23:31:23 -0500

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                               (US Regional)

                          Tuesday, May 18, 1993

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| CND-US, normally 1 or 2 issues a week, is a supplement to CND-Global and |
| has  basically no overlap with the daily news.  CND-US provides in-depth |
| information concerning Chinese students/scholars in the United States.   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Table of Contents                                                 # of Lines
============================================================================
1. News Brief (5 Items) ................................................. 42
2. IFCSS Clarifies the Situation of CSPA Implementation ................. 73
3. Reader Comment on Implementation of CSPA (cont'd) .................... 17
4. Over 5,000 Foreigners Earn US Science PhD's in 1991 .................. 43
5. Follow up on the Beating of Wei Sun (2 Items) ........................ 19
============================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. News Brief (5 Items) ................................................. 42
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Alliance for a Democratic China has embarked on a campaign for petition
for the Nobel Peace Prize in 1994 for Mr. Wei Jingsheng. The petition letter
is available on network, the signature can be sent to Jian-Li Yang, 25 Tyler
St, Somerville, Ma. 02143. (Forwarded by: Wing Ng <[email-masked]>, 5/17)
                               ___  ___  ___

Mr. Zhuang Zedong, 3 time World Championship of table tennis, is going to
visit the USA 20+ years after his historic first visit. This time he will
only do exhibition and coaching, no more pollitics.

The exhibition will be at 44 Northern blvd, Flushing, 3:pm, Saturday June
5th. On Saturday, June 12, at 11:00 am, he will do another exhibition and
coaching at 133 Canal St. Chinatown. The entrance fee for each event is $7.
(From: Tak Y Wong <[email-masked]>, 5/13/93)
                               ___  ___  ___

Summer Camp In Beijing. Xi Lin Children's Foundation for Overseas Chinese
Education (USA) is organizing a summer camp in Beijing for Chinese children
in USA who need to learn Chinese language and cultures. The camp is sched-
uled from 7/15/93 to 8/5/93. The major activities include Chinese language
training, music, dancing, tour in Beijing, and plays and parties with local
children. Children will fly from Chicago directly to Beijing and stay in
Central Institute for High Education and Administration, a place for train-
ing university presidents. The institute has double rooms with shower, a
swimming pool, and medical doctors. For safety reasons, only children of
12 and up are encouraged to apply. Contact with: Ms.Balin Yang (708) 307-
1708(H)/(312) 463-0074 ext.3486 (O) for details. (From: Yongming Li,
5/16/93)
                               ___  ___  ___
Jun Yang, 17, a sophomore at Delta College, in Stockton, California recently
won the National Mathematic Award given by the Amer. Math. Assoc. for commu-
nity college students, second year in a row. With a 100% perfect score in
all the three tests, he has broken all previous national records again. The
Delta College has been ranked third in the national ranking system for com-
munity colleges since last year's award. Jun Yang has come to the US from
Chengdu, Sichuan since 1991. He will transfer to UC Berkeley or Stanford
this fall. (Forwarded by: Youlu Zheng, <[email-masked]>, 5/11/93)
                               ___  ___  ___
An expert on Traditional Chinese Medicine is wanted to speak at my Univer-
sity as part of a lecture series to be held during Spring Semester 1994
(January to May 1994). Because of our limited budget we are restricted to
bringing someone from the East Coast (or Midwest) of the United States. We
can also only provide a very limited honorarium above travel costs. Interes-
ted person please contact B. Kirchoff <[email-masked]> (of Univ.
of NC at Greensboro, 5/13/93)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. IFCSS Clarifies the Situation of CSPA Implementation ................. 73
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>, 5/17/93
Source: IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4126, 5/16/93

As it has passed April, the month INS had projected to publish the Regula-
tion for the implementation of CSPA, many people have become worried. Two
recent news reports in World Journal have also caused a wide spread and
unnecessary confusion and apprehension. IFCSS HQ feels the need to clarify
some facts in the implementation of CSPA.

The HQ has been following closely the development of CSPA. We knew that in
late April INS had finished drafting the interim regulation and submitted it
to several offices for internal review. Because the delay in filling out
positions in the Department of Justice and some other offices by the Clinton
Administration, the Regulation is later than expected. The delay is there-
fore caused by technical matters rather than political influence. In the
past two weeks, a lot of people have called the HQ and CSPA Information
Center. They heard people saying that according to a report in World Journal
that INS has started to accept applications. We spent a lot of time to
disapprove the rumors.

Then, a news spread out in the CSS community that the White House has
ordered the INS to put the CSPA operation on hold. Many CSS became worried
that the CSPA might be killed by the Administration. To avoid more confu-
sion, we have to explain the situation.

1. We have no doubt that the CSPA will be implemented. There is no sign that
the Administration wants to kill this Act. Sources told us that President
Clinton is as much interested in protecting the Chinese students as anyone
else. In fact, we are hoping that the Administration might help us in taking
administrative measures to extend the benifits not included in the Act.

2. The World Journal article saying that the operation was put on hold is
not true, or at least it used a wrong headline. The operation was not on
hold or stopped. INS received some comments and suggestions from other agen-
cies and is revising the draft accordingly. It is a normal process. We are
expecting to see the interim regulations release in late May or early June.
There is still a great possibility that INS will accept application before
July 1 and start to put "approved" stamps on applications after July 1.

3. In the past two to three weeks, the HQ officers have maintained a close
contact with various Government offices in order to have a regulation favor-
able to the CSS and faithful to the Congressional intent. We have contacted
the INS Immigration Branch, INS General Counsel's office, National Security
Council, Attorney General's office, State Department, Senator Kennedy and
Senator Gorton's aides, and Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi (HQ officers met with
Congresswoman Pelosi at 5 pm on May 12). We wanted to have our positions in
several key issues widely known in the government and to obtain as much sup-
port as we can.

4. The HQ also worked with INS and Federal Trade Commission on a case of an
immigration company putting up false ads on Chinese newspapers. Last week,
the Federal Government filed law suit against the company.

5. About the content of the draft regulation, the Government is hold the
information very tight. INS will revise it time and again, so the best thing
to do is to wait for the officially released Regulation to come out.

6. About the dependents issue, IFCSS has already made our position known to
INS. The issue has not been satisfactorily solved. However, on this issue,
we will have several options to pursue and several places to address our
concern. We are confident that a satisfactory solution will be found.

7. About the quota issue, it is not as simple or easy to resolve as the
World Journal article hinted. It is a very delicate issue. We have to be
very careful about this. IFCSS's credibility and image in Congress is on the
line, although we hope for the best outcome. We have to consider many fac-
tors before we take a position. We are sorry to use this kind of vague
language. We do not want to talk too much about this issue because we want
to keep our options wide open.

You may complain that there is not much useful information, such as when and
how to file the application, etc., contained in this release. But our
approach is to give you only reliable and assured information not specula-
tions or hearsaying. The CSPA has passed mass mobilizing stage. To have the
best result, we should avoid sending immature and irresponsible messages to
the public which would only cause confusion and will be counter-productive.
It is to the best interest of the CSS to have a smooth and orderly implemen-
tation. We should be careful and we wish the general CSS to keep a cold
mind.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Reader Comment on Implementation of CSPA (cont'd) .................... 17
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From: Jianhua Zhao <[email-masked]>, 5/15/93

Dear Editor: I think that charging $50 for registering with the IFCSS CSPA
Information Center is a right way for IFCSS to collect money for the necces-
sary expentures on this matter. It might be better for IFCSS to just call
for contributing or donation. However, I doubt it will be effective.

I also think that collecting money under the name of "registration fee" does
not sound good, but this is because there is no better way to do it. Look
at the situation last year. The donations apperently were not meeting the
needs. All members of IFCSS are just like us. They have no other sources to
support themselves to do the thing for all of us. I trust them by my heart.

Since not everybody has an e-mail account to access the information he/she
needs eagerly, registration with the IFCSS CSPA Center could be a way for
IFCSS to build a connection with those without e-mail connection.

p.s. I am not one of the members of IFCSS.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Over 5,000 Foreigners Earn US Science PhD's in 1991 .................. 43
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forwarded by: A CND reader, 5/13/93
Source: Newsbytes, 5/13/93

WASHINGTON DC -- A recently published NSF study shows that 32% of the 18,500
doctoral science degrees awarded in 1991 went to non-US citizens up from 17%
just 10 years earlier. Many of them are working in computer-related fields.

Fewer than five percent of the foreign-born graduate students were permanent
residents. The remainder took their newly acquired skills abroad.

The overall study of foreign student participation in US university doctoral
programs - described as being either science- or engineering-oriented -
shows that foreign students are concentrating on practical technological-
oriented studies rather than on "soft" sciences such as psychology, which
only attracted six percent of the non-US citizen students.

Fifty-five percent of the doctorates awarded in mathematics in 1991 went to
foreign students, of whom only about five percent were permanent residents.
This number is up from 32 percent in 1981, when a larger percentage were
permanent residents. Computer science and information sciences degrees make
up the second largest category, with more than 50 percent of the US univer-
sity slots going to foreign students. More than half of the new computer-
related doctorates granted in this country are now awarded to foreigners,
most of whom will be returning to their home countries.

Where do these students come from? Despite the many complaints about human
rights violations in China and noises made by the past three administrations
about the need for mainland China, Taiwan, and South Korea to open up their
markets to US high-tech products, together they count for 72 percent, or
4,100, of the 5,650 non-US science and engineering doctoral candidates.

In total, the Pacific Rim countries account for students taking 51 percent
of US-granted doctoral degrees in technical subjects.

Some analysts argue that the ever-increasing number of foreign students tak-
ing the very limited number of available technical training positions, and
then returning home with their knowledge and skills, raises some serious
questions about just how long the US can remain competitive in world mark-
ets.

Other argue that the students and their governments are only taking advan-
tage of freely-available opportunities. There is no information in the
recent National Science Foundation study as to whether US students are being
turned away because of lack of space. The question as to the quality of
domestic applications as opposed to non-US applications is also left
unresolved.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. Follow up on the Beating of Wei Sun (2 Items) ........................ 19
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a student at Mount Holyoke College, and will write to San Jose newspa-
per to voice our outcry of their resentless silence. (From: Tian Ge Zhang
<[email-masked]>, 5/16/93)
                               ___  ___  ___
According to a reporter from SJMN, the newspaper was misinformed by the
local police of the incident when it occurred. They did not know that the
unfortunate assult was resulted from ethnic tension in the area and treated
as one of many gang violence cases in San Jose. That was why their editorial
staff decided not to carry the report on May 7th.

SJMN sent out two reporters to follow up on this story when they were
approached by Prof. Larry Engelmann. They reportedly have called a few
Chinese residents asking for their interest of the incident after they got
the full story, and received a somewhat lukewarm response (which could very
well be simple miscommunication, an excuse, or the truth). It led to a
whole-week delay of publishing the 5/14/93 article which was supposely a
lead-in for follow-up reports to be carried in the coming days. SJMN has
done a series of interviews with many from overseas Chinese and Chinese-
American community. The SJMN staff now are very sensitive to our response
and promise to take corrective actions.

We will have to wait and see what they are going to do next. We may have to
do something if the stuff reported above was just an escape for the absence
of a civil rights story.(From: Ignatius Ding <[email-masked]>,5/17)

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Editor of This Issue: Xiaowen Li,    Coordinating Editor:Zuofeng Li     |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  China News Digest (CND) offers the following services:                  |
|     (1) Global News (daily)        (2) US Regional News                  |
|     (3) Canada Regional News       (4) Europe & Pacific Regional News    |
|     (5) Hua Xia Wen Zhai (a weekly Chinese magazine)                     |
|     (6) several information packages.                                    |
|  To subscribe or get help, mail to:   [email-masked]                   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+