Subject: CND-US CSPA Information Exchange Package, June 6, 1993

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1993 03:00:22 -0500

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                               (US Regional)

   Information Exchange: About Preparing to Apply for U.S. PR Under CSPA

                            Sunday, June 6, 1993

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| CND-US, normally 1 or 2 issues a week, is a supplement to CND-Global and |
| has  basically no overlap with the daily news.  CND-US provides in-depth |
| information concerning Chinese students/scholars in the United States.   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

[Editor's Note: The following is collected and edited from the messages
                CND received or saw on the network, we believe it is of
                information nature.  We forward it to concerned readers
                as a timely reference service.  However, some of the
                information may need to be verified (it is beyond our
                capacity to do so).  Please consult your lawyer and use
                your own discretion before you use the information printed
                in this package to make decision(s) on related matter.

                Also, please refer to the IFCSS News Release No. 4134 on
                June 4th, 1993 (CND-US relayed it) for instructions.

                Some of the e-addresses/names/ID's are withheld per sender's
                request, except for those already posted to public network.

                We welcome readers sending their info/experience to us to let
                others to share with, request for anonymity will be honored.

                Due to our limited manpower resource of volunteers, we regret
                that we may not be able to answer questions from readers.

                CSPA = Chinese Student Protection Act of 1992, U.S.A. ]

Table of Contents                                                 # of Lines
============================================================================
   Information Exchange: About Preparing to Apply for U.S. PR Under CSPA

1. About Medical Examination, Immigration Photo and Finger Print ....... 130
2. About Application Forms ............................................. 110
3. Analysis and Miscellaneous ........................................... 80
4. CSPA Information Packages Available by Anonymous FTP in CND.ORG ...... 10
============================================================================
Source: Messages posted to various CSS related mailing lists/networks
Collected and Compiled by: Bo Xiong

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. About Medical Examination, Immigration Photo and Finger Print ....... 130
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

>From: ***@***.***.indiana.edu Fri Jun  4 19:52 1993

We just came back from our medical exam.  Let me share the experience with
you.

The exam was very easy to handle.  The doctor asked us a few routine
questions, looked at the eyes, nose, and ears, then touched the area of your
body that covers the liver and spleen, listened to the lungs and heart.
Then it was done, no longer than a few minutes.  And he charged me $45 for
it.  He made $135 out of my family.

Then he gave us a form to take with us to the hospital for blood test (HIV
etc.) and X-ray.  These tests were about $100 per person.

Mind you here: your children under 15 are spared of this.  She/he does not
need to take blood test and X-ray.

The result of the exam should be ready in a week.  Since my daughter did not
need to have blood test and X-ray, she got her result immediately.  The
result was sealed in an envelope and carried by yourself, but you are NOT
supposed to open it.  However, you have your own copy of the report.

                              --- --- ---

>From: ***@****.psu.edu Fri Jun 4 16:50 1993

After seeing IFCSS News Release No. 4134 today, I called the INS office at
Philadelphia for information, especially the list of doctors in my areas that
are eligible to perform the medical examination.

To my surprise, after listening extra long phone message and holding, I was
answered by a rude person.  He asked me why I needed this information, I
told him that I am a Chinese student, and I was preparing the adjustment of
status under the CSPA.  He, with a strong foreign accent, said "I am
immigration office and I know nothing about that."  I said, that's fine, but
I just wanted to know the names of doctors in my areas.  He said he could
only release this information to those who were in the process already.

I am wondering if this is my bad luck or something common.

                              --- --- ---

>From: ***@****.com  Fri Jun 4 17:16 EDT 1993

[Referring to above message] You have been already lucky, only very few of
the phone calls can actually get thru INS offices, not to mention that you
talked to a human instead of machine.

The info (about your local INS approved medical exam doctor's offices) you
requested is free and possibly available in many places:

Your library, the foreign student advisor office of your school, or your
human resources Dept (if they had ever sponsored anyone for employment-based
immigration, they should have).  Or, check with your local physician's
organization (by yellow page) for INS authorized medical offices for
immigration medical exam.

Many of the doctor's offices can do medical exam, immigration photo and
finger print all together.

Try to pick up the cheapest one, if you pay it yourself.  I experienced the
following long time ago in an INS approved doctor's office in a major city:

1) Medical exam, including HIV (AIDS) test, and other exams, however, no
   X-ray since that doctor doesn't have it and I didn't want to go to another
   one (and it's not a must to INS).

   Make sure to see him/her use a NEW needle when taking AIDS test.

2) Four copies of color immigration photos, which meets INS specification,
   for my greencard.

3) Finger prints (notarized).

The services cost me about $120.

Usually the doctor's office provides all of the forms for above.  Some
doctors charge you as high as $400 for the services.  Since it's only for
INS paperwork, there is no need to go the best doctor.

                              --- --- ---

>From: ****@***.bu.edu Fri Jun 4 21:17 1993

Normally, two major tests are done:

1. The blood test.  It is mainly for HIV because of the law made in 1987.
2. For Tuberculosis, your X-ray is for this purpose but normally an X-ray can
   be avoided if the simple antibody test (injecting an antibody into your
   arm) shows negative.

Those typically cost between $100-$150

                              --- --- ---

>From: several networkers  Fri Jun 4

Typical cost for medical exam, photo and finger prints:

In Chicago, between $108 - $200 for all items.

In St. Louis, it's $10 for 4 color pictures, $90 for medical exam, and the
two finger prints are $3 each.

In NYC, the cost of picture taking and finger print are $25, pretty standard
cost.  Medical exam costs between $120 - $200.

                              --- --- ---

>From: Maggie Brooke, The University of Iowa,  Sat, 5 Jun
To: INTER-L (National Foreign Student Advisor Association Network)
Subject:      PRC physical exams

      The one physician in Iowa City who is authorized by INS to perform the
      medical exams for adjustment is going on vacation for the next three
      weeks!  Our 500 PRC candidates are in a tizzy & we have asked our
      congressional offices for help -- no solution yet.

      Are the rest of you having the same problem?  Any creative solutions?
      Let me know if you have any, and commiserate if you don't.

                              --- --- ---

>From: ***@***.*******.edu Sat Jun  5 17:08 CDT 1993

[Referring to above message]  No creative solution is needed, just go to a
doctor in another city.  There usually should be another doctor authorized
by INS within one or two hours of drive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. About Application Forms ............................................. 110
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

>From: *****@****.***.edu Fri Jun  4 22:31 CDT 1993

Yes, I got the official forms for health exam from the doctor's office.
According to IFCSS's message, we also need the following INS forms:

I-485, which is "for a person who is in the United States to apply to adjust
to permanent resident status or register for permanent residence while in
the U.S."  This is the major form.  It also includes instructions on how
to prepare it, what other supporting materials are required etc.  white
paper black characters, on both sides.

I-693, this is the medical examination for, colored, and has carbon copies.

G-325A, this is "Biographic Information" colored and carbon copies.

Form 9003, which I don't have, and which, according to a friend of mine, is
the form for applicant's tax information.

In the package I got from the INS at Indianapolis, there is also the Form
I-134, which is the Affidavit of Support.  It is not mentioned in IFCSS's
instruction.  There is also instruction on how photos should be taken, and
two finger print sheets (you can have your finger print made in a police
department for free.  After all, where else can you get the best finger
prints?).

                              --- --- ---

>From ****@*****.ASU.EDU Fri Jun  4 16:30 1993

Quite a few students here went to Phoenix INS office yesterday and got
nothing. Actually some people just came back from INS office and they were
very rudely treated by the people working there. They refuse to give them
any application forms.

                              --- --- ---

>From *******@*****.columbia.edu Fri Jun  4 16:36 CDT 1993

NYC INS provides free form via postal mail, call 212-206-6500, and leave your
name address and what you want (form numbers etc.) you will get it in three
days, very handy except it's a long distance call for NYC outsiders.

                              --- --- ---

_From: JIANG <[email-masked]>        Sat, 5 Jun
To: Multiple recipients of list CHINA-NT <[email-masked]>

><[email-masked]>  5-JUN-1993 14:26:44.06 wrote:
>  To:        [email-masked] & [email-masked]
>From:  Chinese Students and Scholars Association
>       at Case Western Reserve University
>
>Students who are eligible to apply for permanent residency
>by decree of the S1216 Bill have failed in their attempts
>to obtain the package of application material from the INS
>in Cleveland.  Mostly they were told that they (INS) have
>not received any instruction as to how to handle such case,
>that they knew nothing about the procedure or the material
>required; in short they claimed they knew virtually nothing
>and thus rejected our innocent, tentative request for the
>normal application material.  We received the same treatment
>even when we went there to inquire on behalf of the CSSA at
>Case Western Reserve University.  It seems that unless we
>could produce the pre-approved I-140 form that would make us
>eligible on employment base, there is no way for any of us
>here to procure the package.  Could they be deliberately
>withholding it from us ?  Most students recounted their
>encounter with the INS officers in Cleveland as unpleasant or
>disastrous.  Apparently they appeared to be rather hostile and
>even wary.  We tried to be courteous, but they seemed to feel
>that we were giving them unwelcome harassment.  One of us
>was told flatly: "The Bill was signed by former President Bush,
>but Clinton has not signed it yet.  Who knows, he may still
>kick you out."
>
>We are wondering if people in other states have had similar
>experience with their local INS.  Does IFCSS  have any
>suggestions as to how to resolve the predicament we are in ?
>Is it possible for the IFCSS headquarter to mail us the package ?
>
>We would also like to know if we can ask people from other states
>to send us the application package, should INS in Ohio continues
>to turn down our request.  In other words, would the package be
>valid in this state if it comes from a different state ?

      It was not surprising to learn that you have difficulty getting
application forms.  After we received instructions from IFCSS, I called
the International Student Center at University of Florida in an attempt
to get some application forms.  I was told by the person in charge of
immigration affairs that the university can not afford to buy all those
forms for you.  For individuals, you can write to immigration office to
get some forms or the package.  As a group especially large group, we
are adviced to buy application forms from GPO (Government Printing
Office).

       I think the best way to handle this case is to avoid confrontation
such as what you have encounted.  It is understandable that officers in INS
feel they have been harassed.  Try to call you local GPO and find out if
you can buy the whole package from them.

                              --- --- ---

>From: ****@****.***.edu Fri Jun  4 17:27 CDT 1993

According to my own experience, xerox copies of INS forms are acceptable,
if it's double-side copied in good looking.  My employor's lawyer used xerox
copy to file for my final immigration interview.

A master copy of the forms could be available from those schools/companies
that sponsor employment-based immigration, or from immigration lawyers, or
from those friends who had gone thru the process.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Analysis and Miscellaneous ........................................... 80
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

>From *****@****.*****.com  Fri Jun  4 16:44 CDT 1993

Per my understanding of CSPA and INS Regulations, one does not have to deal
with lawyer from now on, to get his/her greencard under CSPA:

1) CSPA specifies that a qualified CSS is granted approval under employment-
   based immigration category, so that means once you filed the application,
   you have satisfied requirements for a H-1 and Labor certificate etc. under
   CSPA umbrella, and have reached the stage of final interview.  That's why
   IFCSS HQ NR said you can go taking medical exam, photo and finger prints,
   usually only those who are ready for final interview need to/can do it.

2) Final interview:  it could be unnecessary, since INS is to test a waiver
   of interview program for employment-based applicants, those CSS under CSPA
   is in the category. As IFCSS HQ NR indicated before, probably no interview.

3) Where to file:  send all the forms, including I-94, medical exam report,
   may be also your passport and other documents as per Form I-485, to one
   one of the four regional INS centers in the U.S. (check with your
   foreign student advisor for address, it might be in Form I-485).
   This is a regular procedure for employment based category.

If one goes thru everything smoothly, he/she only needs to spend less than
$300 to get the greencard, including medical exam, photo, fingerprints and
INS fees.

However, there are two things to be clarified:

I)  How INS will put CSS applicants into the immigration queue?  As of today,
    no body, including IFCSS, ever talks about this.

    Think about it: there are about 80,000 potential applicants, and only
    about 40,000 quota available for the fiscal year ending October 1993,
    then whom of the 80,000 will get the quota first?  According to the date
    they file application?  Not fair nor practical.  Per the date they
    arrived at U.S.?  Not fair either, so the question is unanswered.

II) How to fill in those immigration forms?  To ensure smooth processing of
    one's application, it's very critical to fill in the forms correctly.
    Some instructions are needed from INS, or lawyers, or IFCSS.

                              --- --- ---

>From: *****@****.com Jun  4 17:20 CDT 1993
Subject: Birth Certificate / Non-Criminal Offense Record - Re: CSPA

As indicated in IFCSS previous NR's (they don't mention this today), your
own passport is good enough as INS agreed that PRC gov't will unlikely provide
CSS with birth certificate (now you need to fill some forms, and provide 5
photos to get a birth certificate from PRC gov't via overseas consulate, it
takes several months of time).

However, there are other ways/alternatives/substitutes that INS accepts,
CND-US Q&A on Visa/Tax/Legal series carried the info in Nov. 1990.
[Editor's note: it's now in CND CSPA InfoBase, see item No.4 of this issue]

And, INS does NOT need "Certificate of Non-Criminal Offense Record" issued
by your home country (I got one from China a few years ago, but it turned
out not used, my immigration lawyer even didn't take it when I gave to him.

                              --- --- ---

>From: ****@******.edu Fri Jun  4 21:23 CDT 1993

I am just about to submit my application for Greencard through my lawyer via
normal employment-based procedure.  Should I also submit a separate
application under CSPA?  Will the current CSPA surge delay my interview?  As
I understood, it usually takes a month or two to schedule an interview.  I
am worrying that it might take longer.

                              --- --- ---

>From: ****@*****.com  Fri, 4 Jun 1993 22:42:4

[Referring to above message] I think you can file separately, whichever goes
first goes first.  What is your priority date?  3rd category is going
quickly these months, so if you can be interviewed before October 1, 1993,
you shouldn't be affected by the CSPA surge.

For short you can file a separate application under CSPA anyway, don't
withdraw/cancel the normal one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. CSPA Information Packages Available by Anonymous FTP in CND.ORG ...... 10
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

CND has established a CSPA InfoBase in CND.ORG (IP: 132.249.229.100)
The following information is available via anonymous ftp from cnd.org
(directory  pub/InfoBase/CSPA):

1) The text of the Chinese Student Protection Act of 1992
2) The text of President Bush's Executive Order on April 11, 1990
3) CSPA related information carried in CND-US in last six months
4) CSPA related information carried in Hua Xia Wen Zhai in last six months
5) Other related information published in CND
6) New CND-US packages/information on CSPA

If you need technical help in ftp or reading HXWZ packages, please send
your request to [email-masked]

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|     Editor of This Issue: Bo Xiong,   Coordinating Editor: Wei Lin       |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  China News Digest (CND) offers the following services:                  |
|     (1) Global News (daily)        (2) US Regional News                  |
|     (3) Canada Regional News       (4) Europe & Pacific Regional News    |
|     (5) Hua Xia Wen Zhai (a weekly Chinese magazine)                     |
|     (6) several information packages.                                    |
|  For subscription information, mail to: [email-masked]                 |
|  To get help, mail to:                  [email-masked]                 |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+