Subject: CND-US CSPA Information Exchange Package (II), June 8, 1993

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1993 03:47:55 -0500

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                               (US Regional)

 Information Exchange (II): About Preparing to Apply for U.S. PR Under CSPA

                            Monday, June 8, 1993

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| CND-US, normally 1 or 2 issues a week, is a supplement to CND-Global and |
| has  basically no overlap with the daily news.  CND-US provides in-depth |
| information concerning Chinese students/scholars in the United States.   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

[Editor's Note: The following is collected and edited from the information
                CND received or saw on the network, we believe it is of
                information nature.  We forward it to concerned readers
                as a timely reference service.  However, some of the
                information may need to be verified (it is beyond our
                capacity to do so).  Please consult your lawyer and use
                your own discretion before you use the information printed
                in this package to make decision(s) on related matter.

                Also, please refer to CND-US CSPA Information Exchange Package
                (I), June 6, 1993 for more information.

                Some of the e-addresses/names/ID's are withheld per sender's
                request, except for those already posted to public network.

                We welcome readers sending their info/experience to us to let
                others to share, request for anonymity will be honored.

                Due to our limited manpower resource of volunteers, we regret
                that we may not be able to answer questions from readers.

                CSPA = Chinese Student Protection Act of 1992, U.S.A. ]

Table of Contents                                                 # of Lines
============================================================================
 Information Exchange (II): About Preparing to Apply for U.S. PR Under CSPA

1. IFCSS Corrects Its News Release No. 4134 on June 4th ................. 20
2. A Summary of IFCSS CSPA Info Center Newsletter No.3 ................. 165
3. More About Medical Examinations and INS Forms ....................... 150
4. More Analyses, Marriage License and Tax Clearance ................... 180
5. CND.ORG CSPA InfoBase Update (As of June 8, 1993) .................... 20
6. Step by Step Advise from a Foreign Student Advisor:
   Chinese Student Protection Act: Applications for Permanent Residence  100
============================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. IFCSS Corrects Its News Release No. 4134 on June 4th ................. 20
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>, 06/07/93

     The HQ NR-4134 on June 4th was sent out in a hurry, therefore it has
a mistake. The correct telephone number of CSPA Information Center is

202-783-5077   Please call this number for CSPA related information.

     Due to the overwhelming number of phone calls, the HQ's telephone lines
are jammed and we cannot continue with our regular works, including keeping
contact with INS and other government agencies.

     Since the application forms won't be available for the next two weeks,
please do  not call the HQ for forms now. The INS perhaps won't start to
accept the applications until late June/early July. Therefore there is no
hurry to get the forms right now.

     We appreciate your patience and cooperation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. A Summary of IFCSS CSPA Info Center Newsletter No.3 ................. 164
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summarized and Translated by Bo Xiong, 06/07/93

The IFCSS CSPA Info Center up to now has mailed out three issues of CSPA
Newsletter, the materials of issues No.1 and No.2 had been seen on the
various networks including CND-US and Hua Xia Wen Zhai (issue No.1 is now
available in CND.ORG pub/InfoBase/CSPA by anonymous ftp).

The following is a summary of IFCSS CSPA Info Center Newsletter No.3, dated
May 31, 1993, for full text/content, please contact IFCSS CSPA Info Center
at 202-783-5077.

Meeting in the White House
--------------------------

On May 28, 1993, IFCSS ranking officials met with President Clinton's
special assistant in charge of Asia affairs.  The White House officer
listened to IFCSS President expressing IFCSS's stand on China's Most-
Favored-nation Trade Status issue and asked whether or not the IFCSS is
satisfied with the President's executive Order on China's MFN.  IFCSS
replied with supportive remarks on the MFN decision, i.e., whether or not
conditions will be attached to China's MFN will be decided one year from now
on.  IFCSS thanks the helps from the White House offers during the first
stage of making executive details for CSPA.

And, IFCSS reiterated that it is highly desirable that the family members
and dependents of qualified CSS can obtain U.S. permanent residence (PR) at
the same time, at least they should be granted lawful stay and employment
permission before they can finally obtain U.S. PR.

As for immigration quota issue, IFCSS showed their concern: according to the
plan made by U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service, it takes at least
three to four years for the INS to finish processing the applications filed
by all the qualified PRCers.  However, there are many other changing factors
during above period, IFCSS wishes that the processing time period to be
further shortened.  The White House officer promised to seriously consider
IFCSS's request and forward the request to the parties in charge.

How to Prepare Application Material
-----------------------------------

As indicated in IFCSS News Release 4134 on June 4th, 1993, the INS has
submitted the executive details of the CSPA to the Attorney General for
final approval, if everything goes smoothly, it should become in effect in
middle June.

Based on above development, IFCSS believes that it's necessary to assist
CSS in preparing for the application.  IFCSS's law agent Arent Fox Kintner
Plotkin & Kahn Law Office drafted a questionnaire to help CSS in preparing
applications (see last section of this article).

IFCSS's lawyer especially mentioned the medical examination, she had some
exchange with the director of INS Immigration Dept., the director thinks
that applicants may take their medical exam in advance.  The disadvantage of
the advance medical exam is that if an applicant is not able to get into the
current annual immigration queue, he/she will have to take another exam in
next year, i.e., the money spent on the first exam will be wasted.

So far it is difficult to determine what an applicant needs to do, but some
INS offices (in Los Angeles) has started distributing INS forms.  IFCSS
suggests qualified CSS to do the following:

1. Call your local INS office for forms for Employment-based Preference
immigration, including I-485, G-325A, I-134, Form 9003 etc.

2. Request fingerprint forms from your local INS office, the form should
bear the stamp of the local INS office, usually different local INS office
has different forms, they are not interchangeable in different area.

3. Contact local INS for INS authorized doctor's office for immigration
medical exam.  Usually the exam is done after an applicant passes the INS
preliminary review, however, to save time, the exam may be done in advance.
The disadvantage is as aforementioned.

4. Filling in the aforementioned questionnaire, some of the questions might
not be applicable to you, but by filling in this questionnaire, you could
get yourself better prepared.
[Editor's note: You may contact IFCSS CSPA Info center for the questionnaire
                and IFCSS lawyer's address if you want to hire the lawyer for
                the CSPA application.  The questionnaire is NOT an INS
                required form]

5. Taking immigration photo, make the photographer aware that your photos are
for immigration purpose.

Two Notes
---------

a). IFCSS has the agreement with INS Headquarters that IFCSS will help INS
to disseminate the news and information, though nothing has been finalized.
IFCSS suggest applicants to request forms from local INS offices, but since
INS HQ hasn't issued the directives, local INS offices may respond to the
request for forms differently.  In such a situation, you should request the
forms in the name of employment-based preference immigration.  Don't panic
if you fail to obtain the forms, it is very unlikely that INS will accept
applications before July 1, 1993.  Even if the INS would accept applications
before July 1, all the forms received by INS before that date will have the
same priority date, i.e., July 1, 1993.

b). About Birth Certificate: IFCSS contacted INS again and INS agreed that
requirement for birth certificate may be waived.  IFCSS suggests to use
passport as a substitute, INS agrees to consider the suggestion.  INS also
accepts the notarized written statement by your parents to replace birth
certificate.  However, at this stage, it is not clear what form of birth
certificate is finally acceptable to the INS.
[Editor's note: for how to prepare above-described replacement for birth
                certificate, see the end of next section as well as CND.ORG
                CSPA InfoBase for details].

The Questionaire Prepared by IFCSS's Lawyer
---------------------------------------------

This is a five page long document, due to the limit to our manpower resource
of volunteers, CND is unable to print the full text here.  It will be made
available at a later time pending our manpower.  However, after examining
the questionnaire, it is found that most of the questions are similar to
those asked in INS I-485 and G-325A forms, here are some of the exceptions:

In order to determine whether you are eligible for permanent residence,
please answer the following questions (for true/false answers):

1) I am a national of the PRC
2) I am a dependent of a national of the PRC
3) I was physically present in the U.S. on or after June 5, 1989, upto and
   including April 11, 1990
4) I have resided continuously in the U.S. since April 11, 1990 (other than
   brief, casual, and innocent absence)
5) I was not physically present in the PRC for more than 90 days since April
   11, 1990
6) I was not physically present in the PRC after October 9, 1992
   [Editor's note: this is the date on which the CSPA was passed by the
    U.S. Congress]

If your spouse or children are individually eligible for permanent residence
under CSPA, they are required to apply separately.  Each eligible individual
must filed separate application.

Requirements for documentation (besides INS forms):

a) Birth certificate:

Birth certificate (or other record of your birth) listing names of both
parents.  If you cannot provide a birth certificate or other birth record,
please obtain 2 notarized affidavits from persons who were living at the
time of your birth and have personal knowledge of this event.  The
affidavits should contain the affiant's full name, address, date and place
of birth, relationship to you and full information regarding knowledge of
your birth and how the affiant acquired this knowledge.  Alternatively, you
may provide church, school and/or medical records relating to you that list
your parents' names;

b) Marriage license, if applicable;

c) 2 immigration photos;

d) Evidence of your current status, for example a copy of Form I-94
   (Nonimmigrant Arrival/Departure Record).

Please be aware that once your application is filed, you may be notified to
appear at an INS District office for an interview.  You will be required to
provide the information requested in this questionnaire under the oath or
affirmation.  Take your I-94 form or other proof of legal entry into the
United States and your passport with you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. More About Medical Examinations and INS Forms ....................... 150
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Messages posted to various CSS related mailing lists/networks
Collected and Compiled by: Bo Xiong

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
>From: "Ya-Gui Wei" <[email-masked]>  Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1993
Subject: Re: Physical Examination

[email-masked] (Tianshan Hu) writes:
>I am confused about the possible outcomes as well as the
>their interpretations of skin test (Pi2shi4) for TB (Fei4jie1he2).
>Somebody said if the reaction is positive (experiencing redness,
>swelling, or other reaction  after skin test) then one may possibly
>has TB; and thus further check up, such as x-ray, should follow.
>However, someone told me exactly the opposite; namely if the reaction
>is negative (experiencing almost no reaction at all) then one may
>possibly has TB.

If the antibody test has been positive, it means that you have been
exposed to the TB bacteria in the past (and may still have the them),
and therefore further check-up is needed to determine whether you
actually have TB.

If the antibody test is negative, it means your body has never been
exposed to the TB bacteria, and therefore you won't be having TB either.

According to a Chinese medical manual, about 70% of urban Chinese
may have been exposed to TB at one time or another, and may show
positive or partially positive result with the antibody test. In
such cases, even if X-Ray shows that you don't have TB, you may be
still required to take antibiotics just to be sure that any possible
TB pathogens in your body are killed off.

--- --- ---

>From: JIANG <[email-masked]>  7 Jun 1993 22:09:00 EST
To: Multiple recipients of list CHINA-NT <[email-masked]>

        We are a group of volunteers in the University of Florida.  We
would like to share some experiences with those who are preparing for
CSPA implementation.

        For medical examinations, we contacted an authorized doctor and
made a good deal with him.  We requested a group discount for us and the
request is granted.  The price is reduced from $100 to $80.  So we
will organize people in 25 - 40 in a group to have exams in a day.

        For immigration photos, we had a better deal.  The price is
reduced from $12.95+tax to $5.50+tax for 4 immigration photos.

--- --- ---

>From: [email-masked] Sun Jun  6 09:02 CDT 1993

[Referring to CND-US CSPA Information Exchange Package (I)]  As I know now,
in my area (Albany, NY), there are only 1 doctor appointed by INS to do
medical exam for PR.  There are another 2 in a city for 2 hours driving.
However, there are more 500 people need to do the exam.  Obviously, it is
impossible to accomplish the exam by July 1.  What I can do?

Do I have to finish medical exam by July 1? Any advice from you? Thank you
for your help?

>From: ****@****.com Sun Jun  6 21:57 CDT 1993

[Referring to above message] No, nobody has said the application has BEGUN,
IFCSS only said "prepare to ...", the application period is July 1, 1993
thru June 30, 1994.

A medical exam takes only ten minutes, I have never seen anyone in this
country give up a chance of making big $$$ out of 500 desperate people.

>From: [email-masked] Mon Jun  7 18:05 CDT 1993

[Referring to above message] You are right! Actually, this morning, I got
an appointment with a doctor in Utica. I have finished all of exams for my
family.

--- --- ---

>From: ****@****.TMC.EDU Mon, 7 Jun 1993 13:12:29 CDT
Subject: A question about Med Exam. (CSPA)

Since the answer to the issue on late arriving dependents is unknown
now, I wonder if my wife and daughter, who came to the US after the deadline,
should also take a medical examination now. How long will their  medical
examination record be valid, in case they are not eligible to apply PR this
time?
[Editor's note: you might be able to find an answer in item No.2
                of this issue]

--- --- ---

>From: ****@****.***.COLUMBIA.EDU Mon Jun  7 14:22 CDT 1993

Dear Editor, we just came back from New York City INS with nothing. The
employee there refuse to gave us any package regarding CSPA. I just want
you know the situation here.

--- --- ---

>From: 'James Ye' <[email-masked]>  06/07/93

I have gotten the employee based application forms for CSPA this morning at
Louisville, KY INS office. The office got the call this morning and knew what
kind form we need. I did not have any difficulty to get the forms. I don't
think International Student Center should be the place to get this forms.

--- --- ---

>From: Zhengzhi Wang <[email-masked]>, 06/07/93
Subject:      The Form List Issued by LA INS Office

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS, CERTAIN NATIONALS OF THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA
SECTION 245.9,  PUBLIC LAW 102-404

FORMS NEEDED FOR ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS :

I-485
BIRTH CERTIFICATE
MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE
2-ADIT PHOTOS
2-FD-258 FINGER PRINT CARDS
MEDICAL EXAM REPORT
G-325A
COPY OF I-94
I-134 OR EMPLOYMENT LETTER
I-20
IAP-66
APPROVAL NOTICE FOR H-1B, L-1
EXECUTIVE ORDER 12711 APPROVAL NOTICE
COPY OF I-688 EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION CARD
FORM 9003
I-468
LIST ALL DEPARTURES FROM U.S.A.
I-765

FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL MARTY HARNAGE AT (213) 894-2786 BETWEEN 3PM-4PM
                                           (213) 894-6249

>From another networker referring to above message:
Obviously this is for regular employment based PR application.

--- --- ---

>From: Lufan Chen <[email-masked]> 06/07/93
Subject:      Form 9003

Dear netters: I contacted the Government Printing Office for form 9003 and
they had not heard of such a form.  The INS also said they did not have it.
Confusing.

--- --- ---

>From: ***@***.com  06/07/93

I got my greencard last year thru employment-based preference, the Form 9003
(Tax Clearance form) was not required.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. More Analyses, Marriage License and Tax Clearance ................... 180
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Messages posted to various CSS related mailing lists/networks
Collected and Compiled by: Bo Xiong

>From: ***@***.***.edu     7 Jun 93 11:19:04 CST
Subject:  Re: Per my understanding of CSPA and INS Reg's ...

   This mail is for Info/reference ONLY.

   Just got back from D.C. IFCSS conference and find the CSPA things
on the network.  Here's some info/impression I got from the D.C. IFCSS
HQ folks:

   No immigration interview is necessary.

   Among other things, Birth Certificates is preferred but not required.
Someone said, INS earlier agreed to accept passport as birth certificate,
but because SO MANY CSS have got the birth certificate from China, they
now seem tend to ask for some sort of birth certificate, rather than
passport.  On the recent NAFSA meeting, INS said the passport was listed
as the 2nd preferred evidence.  (To give you an idea about how loose the
INS' birth certificate, they will accept a Chinese copy of statement from
your parents indicates where and when you was born, plus a notorized
translation here in the U.S.  Other examples of birth certificates are a
statement from your relatives, or an original birth certificate from the
hospital, and etc.)
[Editor's note: NAFSA = National Association of Foreign Student Advisors]

   My impression is that INS will queue applicants the time they receive
the application.

   According to my own experience and understanding (MINE ONLY!), I can
think of 3 options for the timing of filing:

   1). send in your applications ASAP, i.e. before July 1.  The advantage
is that you may have a bigger chance to be queued in line earlier.  The
disadvantage is that you may have missed some forms which are specially
issued for the CSPA filing, which may cause delay of processing your
application.  Also, some people said that the earlier sent-in forms (before
July 1) do not guarantee a front seat in queue.  And in normal PR
applications, the lawyers do not recommend you to send in forms before the
priority date.

   2). Get everything prepared and send in the form by July 1st or whatever
date INS specified.  This is what IFCSS is recommending.

   3). File twice as 1) and 2).  I don't know how INS will treat two
applications.  But I know people file applications for both categories (say,
both employment-based 1st and 2nd category) before.  The disadvantage is that
you need to prepare two copies for everything.

    CSPA is quite special and INS is trying hard(!) to prevent the crucial
information from leaking out before their final announcement.  So you have to
take chances/risks if you are eagering to get the card earlier. So follow your
understanding/common sense to make decision.

    INS fees is $120 for each adult, fingerprints is free at your campus
police, about $10 for 2 photos (only 2 are needed for normal applications),
physical varies a lot, I only spent $38 for mine 4 months ago.  Now the
same hospital goes up to $70.

    Also, for those who have spouse/children who came after 4/11/90, get the
"relationship evidence" ready, like Marriage License and etc. They may not be
able to get P.R. this time, but the INS will at least grant them some status
to stay here before they get P.R.

    Make certified xerox copy for every original documents you need INS to
return to you.  By "certified xerox", I meant you put the following words on
each xerox page:

   "It is to certify that the copies of documents submitted are exact
photocopies of unaltered original documents.   Your signature"

    A normal I-485 filing (P.R. filing) does not require I-94 submitted,
they will get your info through your I-94 number which you filled in the
I-485.  But they will take away your I-94 during interview if you are
granted with PR.  Because that no interview is necessary for CSPA, it is
best (or maybe required) to submit the I-94 original with the application.

    For other documents, the general practice of INS nowadays is that they
do not require ANY original documents if you offer the certified copies,
because they will ask for the originals during interview if they have any
doubts.  Again because that CSPA does not require interview, try to send
in as many originals as possible to avoid delay.

   If you have been in the normal employment-based process but haven't got
the final interview date, I will strongly consider filing the second
application under CSPA.  The normal time span between filing the I-485 and
interview is 2-3 months in South.  It might be worse in East Coast.  It is
likely that you will get PR faster through CSPA, let alone add the legitimate
worry about the possible interview delay caused by the mass CSPA
applications.

--- --- ---

>From: ****@****.***.rit.edu Mon Jun  7 14:54 CDT 1993

Regarding the CSPA preparation, I think the most difficult thing for most
people is to obtain the necessary package of INS forms. I think it is
understandable that most people encountered unfriendly treatment from INS,
remember CSPA has not officially implemented, and from the information I got,
the final implement procedure is still in discussion, I'm sure INS is
telling the truth that I have not received the instruction on how to handle
the case.

Keep in mind that there are still two key issues have not been solved: 1st,
the quota limitation, and if there's a quota limitation, 2nd, how to draw the
line for this year's quota. In the 1st issue, is there's no quota limitation,
which is extremely unlikely the case, then we would all in good shape, other
wise, here goes the 2nd issue. Based on the rumours that I heard, one
possible way is to divide people by the date they submit the application,
which I seriously doubt will be the case as there say at least 40,000 guys
wait there, just like runer waiting at beginning line once started, there
could be tons of applications flood into the INS within one day, and it's
gonna drive INS crazy, practically, it is impossible to split applicants by
their applications' arrival date. another possible way is to go by the date
people enter the US, (this can be identified by the entry date on your
passport or I-94), it may sounds not fair, but at least it's practical.

--- --- ---

>From: *****@*****.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu Mon Jun  7 04:44 CDT 1993

        This is the message about CSPA from Hawaii. My friend, a Chinese
student covered by CSPA, went to INS in Hawaii for picking up the package on
June 4. However, the officer told him that if he was not categoried as a DED
status and still holding a F-1 visa, he would not be considerated to adjust
his status at this time for he should transfer his status at the end of F-1
visa period.

        I don't think what my friend was told is the real in the implemental
regulation of CSPA. But it seems sounding logically if strictly having a
"law sense" to judge it. There is no reason for F-1 or J-1 holders to have
to adjust their status now rushly if there is a headache "quota" problem
existed. Maybe it is a really "good" excuse for getting rid of a quite big
part of Chinese?! By my viewing, it is only one that threaten our students
mostly in its logic force. Anyway, I hope it is just a guess. But we might
need to collect the wisdom from all of us to meet this problem which
now turn us to "headache" if this guess become true unfortunately.

--- --- ---

>From: ****@****.com  Sun Jun  6 17:39 CDT 1993
Subject: A translation of your marriage certificate

                           Marriage Lines
                            (Translation)

Whereas the applicants XX XXX XXX (male), age of XX, and XX XX XX (female),
age of XX, are found confirming to the Marriage Law of The People's Republic
of China, this marriage certificate is hereby issued to them.

                     (Photograph of the married)

              Issued by:

              The People's Government of XXX XXXX District,
              Beijing City, P.R. China
              Month Day, Year

I don't know how "official" this translation is, but it works for my friends
in INS greencard application/interview.

--- --- ---

>From: ****@****.uoregon.edu Mon Jun  7 21:31 CDT 1993

As you may know, that according to the tax agreement between China and U.S.,
all the Chinese student will be eligible to the $5000.00 tax deductible. But
on the question whether the rest of the money is taxable, there are many
different interpretations.  Some say most Ph.D students' assistantship can be
treated as either fellowship or scholarship which are excluded from the tax.

There are some other people who can find a tax agency, and got all their
money back through the help of the agent.

I am just wonder if there is somebody who is really knowledgeable to this
business can provide some explanation to the issue, since this could also be a
potential problem in the procedure of the implementation of status adjustment.

--- --- ---

>From: ****@****.com  Mon Jun  7 21:40 CDT 1993

[Referring to above message]  Why should this be a problem in getting PR
under CSPA or under any category/preference for that matter?  So long as one
files tax return and haven't had any problem with the Internal Revenue Service.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. CND.ORG CSPA InfoBase Update (As of June 8, 1993) .................... 20
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prepared by: Bo Xiong, 06/08/1993

CND has established a CSPA InfoBase in CND.ORG (IP: 132.249.229.100)
The following CSPA InfoBase files available via anonymous ftp from cnd.org
under directory  pub/InfoBase/CSPA (files marked with * are newly added
ones):

birth-certificate-1           cnd-us.93-03-31
birth-certificate-2           cnd-us.93-05-15
bush-order.90-04-11           cnd-us.93-05-18
bush-order.advance-parole*    cnd-us.93-06-04
bush-order.question-answer*   cspa-text.92-10-09
cnd-us.92-11-12               hxwz-cspa.93-01-31
cnd-us.93-01-14               hxwz-cspa.93-04-12
cnd-us.93-03-05               ifcss-cspa-info-center-pak-1*
cnd-us.93-03-10               info-exchange.93-06-06
cnd-us.93-03-29               info-exchange.93-06-08*

If you need technical help in ftp or reading HXWZ packages, please send
your request to [email-masked]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
6. Step by Step Advise from a Foreign Student Advisor:
   Chinese Student Protection Act: Applications for Permanent Residence  100
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From: Kenneth A. Rogers, Associate Dean and Director, Office of
       International Services <[email-masked]> 06/07/93
To: Chinese Students in Indiana University

After consulting with the Immigration Service, the Office of
International Services suggests the following procedure for
citizens of the PRC wishing to apply for a "green card":

     Applications should be requested from INS by phone using the
     voice mail "Ask Immigration" system.  Call 317/226-6009.  In
     order to get the "Forms Line" on a touch-tone phone, press
     1, 1, 3, and 1.  Then at the sound of the tone, request the
     necessary number of packets for employment-based residency
     for a PR China citizen under the Chinese Protection Act, and
     state your name and address clearly.

     Although the phone message says to allow 2 weeks for receipt
     of forms, we have been told they are likely to arrive within
     1 week.

     International Services will NOT distribute green card
     application packets.

Assistance with questions on the forms will be available at
International Services Tuesday and Friday mornings at 11:00.

As a rule, you should NOT send originals of documents (passports,
birth certificates, etc.).  Photocopies are acceptable, provided
you include a statement which reads:

     Copies of documents submitted are exact copies of unaltered
     original documents, and I understand that I may be required
     to submit original documents to an immigration or consular
     official at a later date.

     Signed ___________________________   Date_________

Documents in Chinese or any language other than English, should
be translated.  Although you should NOT translate your own
documents, any competent speaker of the two languages can do the
translation for you.  The translator should sign a statement
which reads:

     I, ___________________, hereby certify that I am competent
     to translate from the __________________ language into
     English, and that the attached is an accurate translation of
     the original document.

               Name of translator:
               Address:
               Telephone:

Complete all forms in draft on a photocopy of the form before
entering the information on the final form.  This ensures a
legible, clear final application, and also means you will have a
copy for your own records.  Be sure you do keep a photocopy of
the finished application for your files.

The Certified Civil Surgeon eligible to perform the medical
examination for immigrant applicants in Bloomington is Dr. Mark
Goren, 822 W. First Street, Bloomington, IN  47401, 812/332-5040.
A blood and TB test must be scheduled separately.  They may be
done at the IU Health Center or at Bloomington Hospital. If you
are eligible to use the Health Center, it may be less expensive.
The medical examination is intended only to screen out certain
diseases--persons who are HIV positive or have active TB, for
example.  Other types of health conditions should not cause any
problem.

Information on other Certified Civil Surgeons for Indiana may be
found in the packet from INS.

REMEMBER--the Protection Act allows applications during a one-
year period, through June 30, 1994.  It is not necessary to apply
by July 1, 1993. Though the waiting period may be somewhat
longer, those who apply later will have an equal opportunity to
receive the green card.

The American visa quota year runs from October 1 to September 30.
It appears that up to 46,000 visa numbers will be available
before October 1, 1993, to PRC nationals applying under the new
law, IF they can actually be processed and become permanent
residents by September 30.  Another 40,000 will be available in
the next visa quota year. (An article explaining this is
available at International Services front desk.)  There does not
appear to be any danger that not enough visas will be available
for all applicants.

A number of questions will remain unanswered until the INS
publishes their regulations, including:
     -- the procedure for applying for work authorization while
     immigrant applications are being processed and,
     -- what will happen concerning dependents who arrived after
     April 11, 1990.  (There seems now to be some hope for a
     solution to the problem of late-arriving dependents.)

Updated information will be posted as soon as we receive it.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Editor of This Issue: Bo Xiong, Coordinating Editors: Wei Lin, Zuofeng Li|
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  China News Digest (CND) offers the following services:                  |
|     (1) Global News (daily)        (2) US Regional News                  |
|     (3) Canada Regional News       (4) Europe & Pacific Regional News    |
|     (5) Hua Xia Wen Zhai (a weekly Chinese magazine)                     |
|     (6) several information packages.                                    |
|  For subscription information, mail to: [email-masked]                 |
|  To get help, mail to:                  [email-masked]                 |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+