Subject: CND-US CSPA Information Exchange Package (III), June 10, 1993

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1993 01:21:53 -0500

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                               (US Regional)

 Information Exchange (III): About Preparing to Apply for U.S. PR Under CSPA

                          Thursday, June 10, 1993

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| CND-US, normally 1 or 2 issues a week, is a supplement to CND-Global and |
| has  basically no overlap with the daily news.  CND-US provides in-depth |
| information concerning Chinese students/scholars in the United States.   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

[Editor's Note: The following is collected and edited from the information
                CND received or saw on the network, we believe it is of
                information nature.  We forward it to concerned readers
                as a timely reference service.  However, some of the
                information may need to be verified (it is beyond our
                capacity to do so).  Please consult your lawyer and use
                your own discretion before you use the information printed
                in this package to make decision(s) on related matter.

                Also, please refer to CND-US CSPA Information Exchange Packages
                (I), June 6, and (II), June 8, 1993 for more information.

                Related info is available from CND CSPA InfoBase, by anon
                ftp to CND.ORG (IP: 132.249.229.100) dir pub/InfoBase/CSPA

                Some of the e-addresses/names/ID's are withheld per sender's
                request, except for those already posted to public network.

                We welcome readers sending their info/experience to us to let
                others to share, request for anonymity will be honored.

                Due to our limited manpower resource of volunteers, we regret
                that we may not be able to answer questions from readers.

                CSPA = Chinese Student Protection Act of 1992, U.S.A. ]

Table of Contents                                                 # of Lines
============================================================================
 Information Exchange (III): About Preparing to Apply for U.S. PR Under CSPA

1. IFCSS News Release No.4135:
   CSPA Information Center Does Not Accept New Application After 6/10 ... 10
2. Readers' Criticism of IFCSS HQ Handling CSPA Application Matter ...... 30
3. The Availability of CSPA Application Forms ........................... 85
4. An Analysis of Issues Involved in Implementation of CSPA ............. 44
5. Some CSPA-Related Questions and Answers and Discussions from/by CSS . 400
6. What's in IFCSS CSPA Info Center Newsletters No.1-3?
   A Supplement to Item No.1 of CND-US CSPA Info Exchange Package (II) .. 50
============================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. IFCSS News Release No.4135:
   CSPA Information Center Does Not Accept New Application After 6/10 ... 10
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>  Wed, 9 Jun 1993

   In order to better serve those who have registered in the CSPA Information
Center and because of the limited resources, the CSPA [Information Center]
will stop accepting NEW APPLICATIONS. Please do not send new applications to
the Center. Letters of request received with postmark 12:00 pm, June 10, 1993
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
will be returned to the sender. We will continue to help those who are not
registered in other ways.

   For legal matters regarding the CSPA, please consult immigration lawyers.

                  IFCSS Headquarters (Signed)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Readers' Criticism of IFCSS HQ Handling CSPA Application Matter ...... 30
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forwarded by: [email-masked]  Wed, 9 Jun 1993 14:24:22 PDT
Abridged by CND

>Did you see the IFCSS news today?  They said they would stop accepting
>application to CSPA info center because of limited manpower!??? How can they
>know if they can handle the possible surge of applications before June 10
>because of their 'announcement', if they do have problem of limited manpower?
>I feel this is just a dirty trick to attract more people to pay them!  Why
>they need to use this kind of trick to their members?  This doesn't look
>like our own organization, but some kind of business desperate to grab
>money from others!
>
>Besides, if like what they claimed that they have got the INS's approval to
>pass INS information to CSS, how can they treat people differently in terms of
>sending INS message???  Is that the ultimate goal for IFCSS should be to serve
>the CSS community?
                               ___ ___ ___

>From [email-masked]  Tue Jun  8 11:20:48 1993

It is very helpful for the IFCSS headquarters to release all the information
about CSPA.  However, there are a point that I would like to comment.

It is still not confirmed who has the priority in the queue.  By the
information from IFCSS, a lot of people have the impression that who file
first will get the first service.  This has caused so many confusion and
panic among all the Chinese students as everybody trying to squeeze in their
files as soon as possible.  A lot of unnecessary competition occurred between
our own people, sometimes even very ugly tricks involved.  All these are not
helpful to accelerate the process in all.  IFCSS should help to ensure that
the whole process move smoothly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. The Availability of CSPA Application Forms ........................... 85
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>, June 8, 1993

                      Update on CSPA Application Forms
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

With large numbers of Chinese students rushing to INS for forms, many INS
district offices have run out of forms and decided that no forms will be
issued until they are fully prepared. IFCSS has contacted the INS which
promised to provide IFCSS with forms in about two weeks.

Meanwhile, please make sure forms are available before you go to your local
INS office.

To ensure normal operation of IFCSS, please stop calling (202)347-0017. we
need to keep contact with INS and other government agencies.

Please also note that INS has told us that they won't accept applications
until the regulation is out.
                         ___  ___  ___

>From [email-masked] Tue Jun  8 10:45 CDT 1993

For those who live in New England area and still have trouble getting CSPA
forms, here's a good news, I just got my forms from INS office at Hartford,
CT. It went very smoothly, you go down there, just identify yourself as a
Chinese, and request a employment-based PR form package, and here you go.
Just be sure that all the persons who want forms must be present personally
as INS only gives on package per person who is there. The address of INS
office at Hartford, CT is 450 Main St., Hartford, CT (take I-84 to Hartford,
and get out at Main Street exit, or you can call the office at (203) 240-3171
to get the form over the phone.

                             --- --- ---

>From: *****@****.edu  Wed Jun  9 08:30 CDT 1993

As of yesterday afternoon (June 8), INS Chicago office ran out of forms (they
had been giving forms to CSS).  And now they give an INS envelop to CSS and
ask CSS to put their address on it then return to the clerk, so INS Chicago
office will mail forms to them when forms are available.

                             --- --- ---

>From: *****@****.edu Wed Jun  9 23:55 CDT 1993

So far, we have been able to get forms from San Diego INS office, they
are just not sure about the finger printing sheet, my guess is that
FD-485 would suffice.
                             --- --- ---

>From: <[email-masked]>  June 8, 1993

Dear CSS in University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign:

The Office of International Students Affairs asked me to estimate how many
students need PR application forms (CSPA related) so that they can order them
from The U.S. government printing office. There are $500 plus ordering cost
so OISA may charge each set of forms a few dollars. It may take two weeks to
get ready. If anyone is interested in this offer, please send a message to my
e-mail account. I will count all message and give the number to OISA.

Alternatively, some local Chinese students have gone to Chicago INS's office
and got a package of forms. The office open Monday through Friday , 7:30 to
2:00 pm.

According to my conversation with OISA staff, they do not provide legal
assistance in this issue. They don't like too many students calling their
office or make appointment about this issue. They will print a hand-out after
the final rules of INS being announced and distribute it to local Chinese
students. No further assistance we can depend on them in this issue so do not
make call to OISA.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. An Analysis of Issues Involved in Implementation of CSPA ............. 44
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From: <[email-masked]>, June 8, 1993

Note: The following forwarded message contain some information related to the
CSPA, it is intended only as a reference for IFCSS, NCCA, and concerned CSS.
Thank you for your attention.  J.Kung at California

                        **************************

Recently, I paid a visit to an INS officer who is my uncle's friend here at
Los Angeles. When I asked him about the bill S1216(CSPA), he told me, the INS
higher authority has not yet formally notified them of the implementation
procedures. The draft has been finished by INS, however, it is waiting for
approval. Many local INS officers may even not know such an Act.

According to his many years of experiences in US legal systems and in INS, he
feels that the implementation procedures are unlikely announced before July
1st. He especially want me to inform other CSS not be too stupid to ask about
the CSPA issues with local INS officers before the Act implementation
procedures are formally announced, because they are now working hard try to
fight more and more illegal Chinese immigrants flooding in recently. He told
me that, a few weeks ago, Senator Simpson successfully sponsored a bill in US
Senate to authorize the local INS officers to deport any entering illegal
alien without court hearing or trials. In the House, several bills related to
this issue have been proposed. Particularly, the National Security Council
held a joint meeting with the legislative, judiciary, and administrative
departments last week, and decided to fight the recent new tide of illegal
immigrants.

Of course, he said, anyone can get any forms from Government printing
offices, INS forms offices, or any lawyers offices. But if you ask about
CSPA, some of the people there may be confused or become unpleasant.

When I asked him about quota issues, he said he doesn't know too much about
that, however, he told me, if such a quota exist, then those who came to US
earlier and never returned to China might have higher priority (Note: this
comment is very similar to IFCSS president Dr. Geng Xiao's answers when he
visited USC in Los Angeles two month ago).  He said, INS also issue a type of
card called Temporary Resident Card which is valid for two years during which
card holders can work in US and travel abroad. He didn't know if IFCSS talked
this issue with INS heads or not.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. Some CSPA-Related Questions and Answers and Discussions from/by CSS . 400
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Messages posted to various CSS related mailing lists/networks
Collected and Compiled by: Bo Xiong and Zuofeng Li

[Editor's Note: The questions were answered by CSS networkers and are thus
                not necessarily authoritative.  Please consult your lawyer
                and use your own discretion when you make your decision(s)]

Q: From: *****@****.bu.edu  June 9

In the IFCSS HQ News Release No.4134 on June 4th, 1993, IFCSS tells us to get
INS forms I-485, I-693, G-325A, form 9003 et. for CSPA application (the NR
was relayed by CND-US the sameday).  But In IFCSS CSPA Info Center
Newsletter No.3 (carried in CND-US CSPA Info Exchange II), the required forms
are I-485, G-325A, I-134, Form 9003 etc., there is a discrepancy in the two
IFCSS statements, can IFCSS clarify this?

A-1: From: [email-masked]

    I-134 in employment-based immigration is for your dependents, not for
yourself, you are considered to be employed under CSPA. The form is to make
sure that your dependents won't become public charges.  Here in Dallas they
do not even ask for I-134 if your sallary showed on the letter seems enough
to support the family.

   For CSPA, INS said on NAFSA meeting that some sort of financial support
evidence need to be submitted: it could be a letter from employer, or the
I-20 which shows your TA/RA, or your own bank statement, or an I-134 from
your rich sponsor. So I-134 is an option, not a requirment.

A-2: From: *****@*****.wustl.edu  June 10

I-134 is the  financial affidavit form. I-693 is the medical exam form
(I think). Both are needed for employment-based immigration.

A-3: From: [email-masked] Thu Jun 10 01:06 CDT 1993
Subject: FORM 9003

I am a tax professional. Form 9003 is an Internal Revenue Service form
for tax clearance. This form is normally available at local CPA firms.
If you can not get this form from INS, you should try a local CPA firm.

A-4: From: *****@****.indiana.edu  June 4

I-485, which is "for a person who is in the United States to apply to adjust
to permanent resident status or register for permanent residence while in
the U.S."  This is the major form.  It also includes instructions on how
to prepare it, what other supporting materials are required etc.  white
paper black characters, on both sides.

I-693, this is the medical examination for, colored, and has carbon copies.

G-325A, this is "Biographic Information" colored and carbon copies.
                              ___  ___  ___

Q: From: James Tu <[email-masked]> Thu, 10 Jun 1993 00:38:34 EDT

I have following problems with filling out the required I-485 form.
Date of Last Arrival:   means last visa to enter U.S.? What about some
short trips to Canada, and other country that do not require visa to
reenter U.S. ?  If I returned to China for 30 days, I shoud enter the first
time or the second time ?

A: From: ****@****.edu  June 10

Take a face value of the word, LAST ARRIVAL, i.e., last entry, no matter
where you went, simply filling out the DATE of LAST entry and the VISA
STATUS on that entry (that is, check your LATEST form I-94).

Q: From: <[email-masked]>  June 8

Regarding to Green Card application, one lawyer told me that the PR obtained
through CSPA may not be good as that through regular way because if you
obtain PR through CSPA, you can not go back to China later. Is this true or
only some guess?

A: From: *****@****.edu  June 9

Probably this is not true.  Unlike the greencard obtained through political
asylum, CSPA greencard is via employment-based preference, which does not
have the restriction like the former has.  That is, if one gets greencard
thru political asylum, his/her greencard is subject to being revoked if
he/she visits home country in a few years, provided that the situation in
the home country remains unchanged.  But this is NOT the case for CSPA
condition.

However, the greencard under CSPA might have a special code, embedded in the
tens of long greencard codes in your card, to indicate thru which law you get
the card, but it doesn't matter much since very few can recognize the code
(usually the code specification is available in U.S. government
publications).

An irrelevant issue, but may be interesting to many: so far all greencard
applicants have to be interviewed, and they sign their greencard at the end
of interview if they pass it.  Now, it is widely said that no interview for
applicants under CSPA, then where and when the applicants sign their cards?
Note that the signature is witnessed by the INS interviewer and sealed inside
the greencard.
                              ___  ___  ___

Q: From: <[email-masked]>  June 8

In the questionnaire for eligible for CSPA prepared by IFCSS lawyer published
in CND-US CSPA Info Exchange (II), the last question is "Not physically
present in China after October 9 1992". This was not mentioned in the content
of the CSPA.  Is this restriction recently added? I have been back to China
after October 1992 for one month, Am I still eligible for the benefit under
CSPA?

A: From: ****@****.edu Wed Jun      9 00:30 CDT 1993

That questionnaire is NOT an INS form nor required by INS, it's for the
lawyer's info-requesting sheet and for applicant's practice only.

A possibility is that the IFCSS lawyer's office got some inside news/info
about INS implementation details (INS has been trying hard to NOT leak it, as
someone said in CND-US CSPA Info Exchange II No.2).

Should this become true, it will most probably be ruled out in the court if
people like yourself launch an organized challenge (better if organized by
IFCSS), since the CSPA text per se makes NO reference to the Oct. 9 date.
                           ___  ___  ___

Q: From: Ray Zhang <[email-masked]>  June 8
Subject:      Filing together vs individually

Re: CND-US CSPA Information Exchange Package (II), June 8, 1993

> If your spouse or children are individually eligible for permanent residence
> under CSPA, they are required to apply separately.  Each eligible individual
> must filed separate application.
>

Wondering what's the reason for that.  Does it has anything to do with
quotas, i.e. use less, or more quotas, or whatever.  What's the pros and cons
of filing together vs individually?  It seems we don't have much choice, do
we?  Anybody has anything to say about that.

A: From:  ****@.****.edu  June 9

The best guess is that, if any of the family members/dependents of an
eligible PRCer is NOT eligible as an individual applicant, INS can reject
his/her application INDIVIDUALLY without affecting the eligible members in
that family.  According to IFCSS HQ News Releases in the past six months, INS
repetitively indicates such an intention.

Q: From: <[email-masked]>

It seems possible for the spouse who came after April 11, 1990 to apply for
Green Card. How about the students who got married here, one came before and
one came after the above date ?  If one is eligible, is it possible for the
newly wedded spouse to be eligible also ?

A: From: ****@***.edu  June 9

Your can find the answer from previous message.
                            ___  ___  ___

Q: From: [email-masked] (Danjin Wu)

I already submitted all material to local INS for employment-based
immigration. Someone suggested to apply again through CSPA this time. I
wonder if I need to have medical exam, finger print and photo ... again. Or I
just have to fill out application form and tell the local INS my alien number
so that they can pull out my file. I would like to know if it must be
separated (secretly) or let INS know my exact situation.

A: from: ****@****.edu      June 8

To play safe, you should submit a complete set of application package, as if
there were NO previous application filed.  Now that the implementation
details haven't come out yet, you may want to wait for that.

It shouldn't be a problem for you to file twice, the second application will
not cancel your first application in another category, unless you withdraw
it.  Between the two applications, whichever goes thru first will let you get
greencard.
                              ___  ___  ___

Q: From: <****@*****.***.com> Date: Wed, 9 Jun 93 09:41:25 PDT
   Subject: WR-688  2211

I called INS form line in San Francisco and left message that want to know
the status of CSPA.  Two days later, I received a package of forms,
including WR-688 2211 dated 4/15/93, named 'Processing Sheet'. It looks like
a PR interview sheet used by INS officer. Is there any body else meet such a
form?  How to handle it?

A: From: *@***.edu June 9

Handle it per CSPA application procedure (to be released by INS).

                                 --- --- ---

Q: From: [email-masked]  June 8

What is the format and requirement for marriage certificate?  Do I have to
have a notarized copy from Chinese government? Will a copy of the Chinese
version of original certificate plus a notarized (here in the US) English
translation do?

A1: From: ****@***.com      June 8

I found an example of the translation in CND-US CSPA Info Exchange Package
(II) on June 8.

[Editor's note: See later section of this issue for the discussion on the
                notarization of documents]

A2: From: ****@.****.edu  June 9

Go to your local city hall and register your marriage here, it's very easy
and costs only $50.00 or so.  You'll then get a U.S. marriage certificate
which doesn't need notary, but your wife might have to be individually
eligible for CSPA benefit to apply for greencard under CSPA.
                         ___  ___  ___

Q: From: [email-masked] Tue Jun  8 19:17 CDT 1993

This is related to the CND-US' CSPA Info Exchange (II) item 6 (The message
from Ind. U. Foreign Student Advisor).

In the mail, it's said that there are 46,000 quota this year and 40,000 next
year thus makes it enough for everybody, so no hurry.

What I heard from my recent DC trip was the opposite.

Could somebody check into this quota issue?

A: From: ****@****.edu

I did notice the editor's note on top of that issue: "use your own discretion"
since those are for info only.  However, if you had closely followed the
related news/info since last six months, you would have seen that there have
been several versions of quota analysis.  In fact, even INS and State
Department themselves can never figure out how many quotas left for the rest
of the year, or for a specific country, or for certain category, that's why
the monthly quota reports by the State Department often jumps up and down
drastically.  The best they can do is to estimate, therefore there are several
versions/conclusions of quota analysis.

                             --- --- ---

Q: From: ****@****.*******.edu      June 8

A friend of mine is now abroad, due back on June 25.  But the only doctor
certified for health exam in Xxxxxxxx will be on vacation at that time.
He plans to take his exam in New York, since he is going to change plane in
New York.  The question: is it possible to get health exams from a certified
doctor out of the state?

A: From:  ***@****.edu  June 8

The application files usually will come back to your local INS office for
review so ..., read the IFCSS CSPA NL No.3, published in CNS-US CSPA Info
Change (II) referring to the fingerprints that are not interchangeable in
different states ...
                             --- --- ---

Q: From: ****@****.columbia.edu  June 8

Does one have to pay fee for application under CSPA?

A: From: ***@***.edu  Tue Jun  8 23:43 CDT 1993

CSPA text does not specify a waiver of fees, so you will have to pay. The
fees for employment-based preference is about $120. See your application
forms for details.

                             --- --- ---

Q: From: [email-masked]  June 9
   Subject:       PHYSICAL EXAM

I was told that my the doctor's office that they will send my examination
results directly to the INS.  Is that the required situation?

A: From: ****@***.edu  June 9

You should carry it yourself, or have the doctor's office send the result
to your lawyer or whoever file your application, since it's a part of your
complete application package.

                             --- --- ---

Q: From: [email-masked] (Charles Feng) Thu, 10 Jun 1993
Subject: tax clearance

Does the application of PR under the protection bill include asking for
copies of previous tax returns? If somehow I didn't keep those copies,
how should I deal with that?

A-1: From: ****@****.bu.edu  June 10

My lawyer told me to get 1991 as well as 1992 federal returns and
four paycheck stubs.  He told me that is the new requirement.

A-2: From: ****@***.edu  June 10

I got my greencard thru normal emplyment-based procedure not long ago, INS
did not ask for that (though my lawyer told me to preare for that).  The form
9003 is for that very purpose in most of the case.

                             --- --- ---

>From: CCNL Reader <[email-masked]> Tue, 8 Jun 1993 23:24:00 CDT
Subject:      I-765

FYI...
Someone on the net asked a question about I-765, to the best of my knowledge,
it is an application for employment authorization beyond Jan 1, 1994. Suppose
you sent in your package on July 1, 1993 or the date when the long-awaited
regulation is published (whichever comes first), but, unfortunately, you were
not one of those first 40,000 lucky folks and Bush's executive order expires
(1-1-94) before you were granted PR status, you need to apply for an
extension of employment authorization up until the day you get your green
card. Someone suggested that you send I-765 along with everything else. It's
up to you. I wouldn't, I will wait till the end of the year, hopefully I
don't have to use I-765. But if I do, I will worry about it until I have to.
I believe work permit could be issued on the spot. One thing is important -
do not assume you can work without authorization while your case is pending.

                             --- --- ---

>From: CCNL Reader <[email-masked]> Tue, 8 Jun 1993 23:31:00 CDT
Subject:      Public Assistance

FYI...
For those of you have received public assistance (or are still receiving)
such as WIC, Medicaid etc., you need to disclose this fact. You will not be
denied PR status solely on this ground. All you need to do is to attach some
documents showing that you are not likely to become public charge in the
future. For example, you may use bank statements, W-2, old tax forms, or
employer's letter etc. So, don't panic.

                             --- --- ---

>From: Jinghong Li <[email-masked]>  Wed, 9 Jun 1993
Subject:      Re: Notary is needed for all copies

The following might be right.  But may not satisfy some INS officers.

On Wed, 9 Jun 1993 08:29:20 EDT you said:
>Earlier some one mentioned to submitt copies of documents with a
>line of words.  Please note, every copy of an original document
>must be "notarized" by a certified person.  Ask your department
>or school for a person who can do "notary" - there are many and
>cost you nothing.
>
>Jinghong

I have a INS notice in front of me:

------INS quote start---------
You may now submit ordinary legible photocopies of the original documents
required.  Please submit copies of both sides of documents.  You may required
present the original documents during any subsequent contacts with the
Service.

 The following statement must be signed and dated by either the applicant,
the petitioner, or the attorney, and submitted with each application.

      'Copies of documents submitted are exact photocopies of unaltered or
   original documents and I understand that I may be required to submit
   original documents to an Immigration or Consular official at a later date
      Signature:         Typed or Printed Name:         Date:           '

------INS quote end-----------

No requirement for notary at all.  And my experience showed the same, i.e. no
notary for any xerox copy.   However, ANY translation needs notarized for the
translator's signature.
                               --JD

>From: LIN HUANG <[email-masked]>  Wed, 9 Jun 1993 17:13:09 EDT
Subject:      Notary

It seems to me that photo copy is OK, according to the INS information
center's recorded message. In New York area, please call 212-206-6500, using
a touch tone phone, choose 1, 2, 14, then 303 (as far as I can remember, you
can follow the instructions to select). To my understanding, merely photo
copies are OK but you must show INS officers the original when you are asked
to do so during interview. Have all of your copies certified is a better idea
then merely copy them, but in the case of CSPA, your I-94 number speaks. INS
can check this number against your other information.  Any ideas or
suggestion or corrections?

>From: Yulin Cao <[email-masked]>       Wed, 9 Jun 1993 14:07:33 EDT
Subject:      Re Notary is needed for all copies

There is a mistake (or misuse) of "notarized" for copies of original
document. --- Copies should be certificated by authorized persons, not notary
public person, if the copies are needed to be certificated.  One can find
notary public person any where --- every department and every bank have such
person. But authorized person for certificating copies of document are very
few. If you can't find one try call lawyers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
6. What's in IFCSS CSPA Info Center Newsletters No.1-3?
   A Supplement to Item No.1 of CND-US CSPA Info Exchange Package (II) .. 50
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summarized and Translated by Bo Xiong, June 9, 1993

I. Table of Contents for IFCSS CSPA Information Center Newsletter No.1
                           (April 18, 1993)

  1. An Introduction to the IFCSS CSPA Information Center
  2. A Brief Explanation of CSPA by IFCSS Headquarters
  3. Q&A on Chinese Student Protection Act of 1992 (by IFCSS Headquarters)
  4. CSPA Full Text in English
  5. English Text of President Bush's Executive Order on April 11, 1990
  [Editor's note: the above is available in CND CSPA InfoBase]

II. Table of Contents for IFCSS CSPA Information Center Newsletter No.2
                           (May 19, 1993)

  1. The Process of Making CSPA Implementation Details
  2. A Letter from IFCSS President, Vice-President to the Attorney General
  3. Q&A on Chinese Student Protection Act (II) (by IFCSS Headquarters)
  4. News and Analysis: INS Plans Implementation of CSPA
     (from <<Interpretater Release>>)

  [Editor's note: most of the above had been made available on the various
              CSS networks, including CND and Hua Xia Wen Zhai]

III. Supplement to the Brief Summary of IFCSS CSPA Info Center Newsletter
     No.3 (May 31) carried in CND-US CSPA Info Exchange Package (II)

  More excerpts from the questionnaire prepared by IFCSS's lawyer.

  Miscellaneous questions:

  1. Current INS status____, expires on: ____
  2. Are you planning to travel outside the U.S. before a decision is made
     on your application?
  3. If you, at any point, had a J visa, did you apply for and receive a
     waiver of the 2 year foreign residence requirement?
  4. Have you ever received public assistance in the U.S. from any source,
     including the federal and local government(s)?
     [Editor's note: see Item No.5 of this issue for a discussion on this]

An erratum:
----------
In the last issue, referring to the questionnaire prepared by IFCSS lawyer,
there was an editor's note:

"6) I was not physically present in the PRC after October 9, 1992
    [Editor's note: this is the date on which the CSPA was passed by the
     U.S. Congress]"

It should be "this is the date on which the CSPA was signed into law by
then President Bush".

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|Editors of This Issue: Bo Xiong, Zuofeng Li   Coordinating Editor: Wei Lin|
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  China News Digest (CND) offers the following services:                  |
|     (1) Global News (daily)        (2) US Regional News                  |
|     (3) Canada Regional News       (4) Europe & Pacific Regional News    |
|     (5) Hua Xia Wen Zhai (a weekly Chinese magazine)                     |
|     (6) several information packages.                                    |
|  For subscription information, mail to: [email-masked]                 |
|  To get help, mail to:                  [email-masked]                 |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+