Subject: CND-US CSPA Information Exchange Package (XI), June 22, 1993

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1993 03:18:21 -0500

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                               (US Regional)

Information Exchange (XI): About Preparing to Apply for U.S. PR Under CSPA

                         Tuesday, June 22, 1993

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| CND-US, normally 1 or 2 issues a week, is a supplement to CND-Global and |
| has  basically no overlap with the daily news.  CND-US provides in-depth |
| information concerning Chinese students/scholars in the United States.   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

[Editor's Note: The following is collected and edited from the information
                CND received or saw on the network and elsewhere, we believe
                it is of information nature.  We forward it to concerned
                readers as a timely reference service.  However, some of the
                information may need to be verified (it is beyond our
                capacity to do so).  Please consult your lawyer and use
                your own discretion before you use the information printed
                in this package to make decision(s) on related matter.

                Also, please refer to CND-US CSPA Information Exchange
                Packages (I) thru (X) for more info. Many questions have
                been answered and/or discussed in the previous issues.

                Related info is available from CND CSPA InfoBase, by anon
                ftp to CND.ORG (IP: 132.249.229.100) dir pub/InfoBase/CSPA

                Some of the e-addresses/names/ID's are withheld per sender's
                request, except for those already posted to public network.

                We welcome readers sending their info/experience to us to let
                others to share, request for anonymity will be honored.

                Due to our limited manpower resource of volunteers, we regret
                that we are UNABLE to answer questions from readers.
                     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                CSPA = Chinese Student Protection Act of 1992, U.S.A. ]

Table of Contents                                                 # of Lines
============================================================================
 Information Exchange (XI): About Preparing to Apply for U.S. PR Under CSPA

1. An Example of Filling out Form I-485 ................................ 740
2. INS Approved Doctors List Available in IFCSS Headquarters ............ 45
3. A Summary of the Information on Immigration/CSPA Lawyers (6 Items) .. 115
4. Protection Against Unscrupulous Immigration Lawyers ................. 115
============================================================================

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. An Example of Filling out Form I-485 ............................... 740
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Example Form Filled out by: *****@****.edu  June 21, 1993
Blank Form Typed in by: Zuofeng Li, June 20, 1993

[Editor's Note: This example form is for your reference only, please consult
                your immigration lawyer for authoritative instructions in
                filling out your I-485.

                Since many concerned readers have not received their Form
                I-485, we attach a full text of the Form I-485 Instruction
                to the end of the example.]

Note by *****@****.edu:
----------------------
The following is based on the example distributed by University of Minnesota
CSSA, with significant modifications, also added some comments in between the
"{  }"s. Remark "IGNORE" indicates that you may ignore the entry.
 ^^^^
Individually eligible members of your family must file separately, i.e.,
one Form I-485 plus supporting materials per eligible person.

Form I-485 (09-09-92)N
----------------------
                         U.S. Department of Justice
                   Immigration and Naturalization Service

                             OMB No. 1115-0053

        Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status

   [Editor's Note: The space marked "FOR INS USE ONLY" has been omitted.]

PART 1. Information about you.

Family Name:   ZHAO            Given Name:    WAN         Middle Initial: /
                                                {Most Chinese don't have this}
ADDRESS - C/O:   {C/O = Care Of }

          Street Number and Name:  3051 28TH STREET       Apt. #: B

          City: MINNEAPOLIS

          State:  MN                        Zip Code: 55415

Date of Birth (Month/Day/Year): 02/14/1965  Country of Birth: P.R. CHINA

Social Security #: 470-25-1234              A # (if any): NONE

Date of Last Arrival (Month/Day/Year): 08/09/1992  I-94 #: 859 72348101
 {Your last entry to the U.S.}                   {You last I-94#}

Current INS Status:     J-1       Expires on (Month/Day/Year): 06/20/1994
   {Or  F-1/H-1/DED/B-1/etc.}     {If F-1, then use the estimated date
                                    of completion, if DED, use 01/01/94 }

PART 2. Application Type. (check one)

I am applying for adjustment to permanent resident status because:

   a. __  an immigrant petition giving me an immediately available immigrant
          visa number has been approved (attach a copy of the approval
          notice), or a relative, special immigrant juvenile, or special
          immigrant military visa petition filed with this application will
          give me an immediately available visa number if approved.

   b. __  My spouse or parent applied for adjustment of status or was
          granted lawful permanent residence in an immigrant visa category
          which allows derivative status for spouses and children.

   c. __  I entered as a K-1 fiance(e) of a U.S. citizen whom I married
          within 90 days of entry, or I am the K-2 child of such a
          fiance(e) (attach a copy of the fiance(e) petition approval notice
          and the marriage certificate)

   d. __  I was granted asylum or derivative asylum status as the spouse or
          child of a a person granted asylum and am eligible for adjustment.

   e. __  I am a native or citizen of Cuba admitted or paroled into the U.S.
          after January 1, 1959, and thereafter have been physically in the
          U.S. for at least 1 year.

   f. __  I am the husband, wife, or minor unmarried child of a Cuban
          described in (e) and am residing with that person, and was
          admitted or paroled into the U.S. after January 1, 1959, and
          thereafter have been physically in the U.S. for at least 1 year.

   g. __  I have continuously resided in the U.S. since before January 1,
          1972.

   h. _X_ Other - explain: ___CSPA-PRINCIPAL______________________________
 {All CSPA applicants      {If dependent, write CSPA-QUALIFIED FAMILY MEMBER}
  MUST use block h}

I am already a permanent resident and am applying to have the date I was
granted permanent residence adjusted to the date I originally arrived in the
U.S. as a nonimmigrant or parolee, or as of May 2, 1964, whichever is later,
and: (Check one)   {IGNORE}

   i. __  I am a native or citizen of Cuba and meet the description in (e),
          above.

   j. __  I am the husband,, wife or unmarried child of a Cuban, and meet
          the description in (f), above.

                         --- Continued on back ---

PART 3. Processing Information.

A. City/Town/Village of birth:  BEIJING          Current occupation: STUDENT
   {Must be the same as your birth certificate}  {If family member, write
                                                   DEPENDENT}

   Your mother's first name: MIAO          Your father's first name: Yi-Mi

   Give your name exactly how it appears on your Arrival/Departure Record
   (Form I-94):   ZHAO WANG  (Note: Because of an error, my name was written
                              as ZHAO WANG, my passport name is ZHAO WAN)
 {Add a note to explain if the I-94 name is different from that of passport}

   Place of last entry into the U.S. (City/State): LOS ANGELES
   {This has to match the last entry date in part 1}

   In what status did you last enter? (Visitor, Student, exchange alien,
   (crewman, temporary worker, without inspection, etc.)  J-1 EXCHANGE ALIEN
  {Or F-1 STUDENT, B-1/B-2 VISITOR, H-1 TEMP WORKER, DED etc., even if you
   are J-1 student, you should use INS term EXCHANGE ALIEN }

   Were you inspected by a U.S. Immigration Officer? _X_ Yes  __ No
 {If NO is checked, then the applicant is disqualified per CSPA}

   Nonimmigrant Visa Number:123456   Consulate where Visa was issued: BEIJING
 {Use the info on your last U.S. visa stamp}

   Date Visa was issued (Month/Day/Year): 08/20/1988  Sex: _X_ Male  __ Female
   {From above, this person's last entry is 08/09/1992, i.e., his last
    entry was on advance parole/from canada/Mexico/etc. since his last entry
    visa didn't match his last wentry date}

   Marital Status: _X_ Married  __ Single  __ Divorced  __ Widowed

   Have you ever before applied for permanent resident status in the U.S.?:

  _X_ No  __ Yes (give date and place of filing and final disposition):
  {If yes, e.g., you are filing for employment-based category, just give
   the filing date (I-485 date) and the result (denied or pending)}

B. List your present husband/wife, all of your sons and daughters (if you
   have none, write "none". If additional space is needed, use separate
   paper.)

   Family              Given             Middle             Date of Birth
   Name:               Name:             Initial:           (month/day/year):
   LIU                 HUA                 /                  01/26/1968

   Country of birth:   Relationship:     A #:               Applying with you
    P.R. China          WIFE             NONE               _X_ Yes  ___ No
                        {She is eligible for CSPA, and applies with him}

   Family              Given             Middle             Date of Birth
   Name:               Name:             Initial:           (month/day/year):
   ZHAO                WEI                 /                  10/01/1989

   Country of birth:   Relationship:     A #:               Applying with you
    P.R. China         SON                NONE              _X_ Yes  ___ No

   Family              Given             Middle             Date of Birth
   Name:               Name:             Initial:           (month/day/year):
   ZHAO                WEI                 /                  10/01/1989

   Country of birth:   Relationship:     A #:               Applying with you
    P.R. China         SON                NONE              _X_ Yes  ___ No

   Family              Given             Middle             Date of Birth
   Name:               Name:             Initial:           (month/day/year):
   ZHAO                LAN                 /                  05/02/1991

   Country of birth:   Relationship:     A #:               Applying with you
     U.S.              DAUGHTER           NONE              ___ Yes  _X_ No
   {The daughter was born in the U.S., no need to apply for CSPA;  if he
    has another child who came to U.S. after 04/11/1990, the child is not
    qualified, however, he has to be entered here as well.  Once the father
    is approved, that child can benefit from follow-to-join or other regular
    procedure for PR.  The same for the dependents currently in China who
    are not eligible for CSPA.  See next issue for detail.}

C. List your present and past membership in or affiliation with every
   political organization, association, fund, foundation, party, club,
   society, or similar group in the United States or in any other place
   since your 16th birthday. Include any foreign military service in this
   part. If none, write "none". Include the name of organization, location,
   dates of membership from and to, and the nature of the organization. If
   additional space is needed, use separate paper.

   1. AIA (U.S.), 1988 TO 1992
   2. PEOPLE'S LIBERATION ARMY (P.R.C.),   1982-1986 (I WAS DRAFTED AND
      ONLY SERVED THE MINIMUM REQUIRED TIME)
   3. THE COMMUNIST PARTY OF CHINA,  1983-1989 (I WAS ASKED TO JOIN THE
      PARTY TO KEEP MY JOB IN CHINA, QUIT THE PARTY ON JUNE 4TH 1989)

   {YOU SHOULD ANSWER TRUTHFULLY, see last issue item No.3}

  [Editor's Note: There is an error in CND-US CSPA Info Exchage Package
                  VIII, June 18, in which an answer to the question states
                  that no question about PLA is asked in the new I-485.]

                     --- Continued On Next Page ---

Part 3. Processing Information. (Continued)

Please answer the following questions. (If your answer is "Yes" on any
one of the these questions, explain on a separate piece of paper.
Answering "Yes" does not necessarily mean that you are not entitled to
register for permanent residence or adjust status).

  1. Have you ever, in or outside the U.S.:

     a. knowingly committed any crime of moral turpitude or a
        drug-related offense for which you have not been arrested?

     b. been arrested, cited, charged, indicted, fined, or imprisoned for
        breaking or violating any law or ordinance, excluding traffic
        violations?

     c. been the beneficiary of a pardon, amnesty, rehabilitation decree,
        other act of clemency or similar action?

     d. exercised diplomatic immunity  to avoid prosecution for a
        criminal offense in the U.S.?

     ___ Yes  _X_ No

  2. Have you received public assistance in the U.S. from any source,
     including the U.S. government or any state, county, city, or
     municipality (other than emergency medical treatment), or are you
     likely to receive public assistance in the future?

     ___ Yes  _X_ No
     {If YES, see CND-US CSPA Info Package III, June 10 for related info
      on how to handle it, and make some explaination here}

  3. Have you ever:

     a. within the past 10 years been a prostitute or procured anyone for
        prostitution, or intend to engage in such activities in the
        future?

     b. engaged in any unlawful commercialized vice, including, but not
        limited to illegal gambling?

     c. knowingly encouraged, induced, assisted, abetted or aided any
        alien to try to enter the U.S. illegally?

     d. illicitly trafficked in any controlled substance, or knowingly
        assisted, abetted or colluded in the illicit trafficking or any
        controlled substance?

     ___ Yes  _X_ No

  4. Have you ever engaged in, conspired to engage in, or do you intend
     to engage in, or have you ever solicited membership or funds for, or
     have you through any means ever assisted or provided any type of
     material support to, any person or organization that has ever engaged
     or conspired to engage, in sabotage, kidnapping, political
     assassination, hijacking, or any other form of terrorist activity?

     ___ Yes  _X_ No

  5. Do you intent to in engage in the U.S. in:

     a. espionage?

     b. any activity a purpose of which is opposition to, or the
        control or overthrow of, the Government of the United States, by
        force, violence or other unlawful means?

     c. any activity to violate or evade any law prohibiting the export from
        the United States of goods, technology or sensitive information?

     ___ Yes  _X_ No

  6. Have you ever been a member of, or in any way affiliated with, the
     Communist Party or any other totalitarian party?

     _X_ Yes  ___ No   (Please see part 3 item C for my explaination)

  7. Did you, during the period March 23, 1933 to May 8, 1945, in
     association with the Nazi Government of Germany or any organization or
     government associated with the Nazi Government of Germany, ever order,
     incite, assist or otherwise participate in the persecution of any
     person because of race, religion, national origin or political opinion?

     ___ Yes  _X_ No

  8. Have you ever engaged in genocide, or otherwise ordered, incited,
     assisted or otherwise participated in the killing of any person because
     of race, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, or political opinion?

     ___ Yes  _X_ No

  9. Have you ever been deported from the U.S., or removed from the U.S. at
     government expense, excluded within the past year, or are you now in
     exclusion or deportation proceedings?

     ___ Yes  _X_ No

  10. Are you under a final order of civil penalty for violating section
     274C of the Immigration Act for use of fraudulent documents, or have
     you, by fraud or willful misrepresentation of a material fact, ever
     sought to procure, or procured, a visa, other documentation, entry into
     the U.S., or any other immigration benefit?

     ___ Yes  _X_ No

  11. Have you ever left the U.S. to avoid being drafted into the U.S. Armed
     Forces?

     ___ Yes  _X_ No

  12. Have you ever been a J nonimmigrant exchange visitor who was subject
     to the 2 year foreign residence requirement and not yet complied with
     that requirement or obtained a waiver?

     ___  Yes  _X_ No  (I am waived under the CSPA per se)
    {If you have received the letter of waiver, you need to attach a copy
     to I-485 and no need to add above note}

  13. Are you now withholding custody of a U.S. Citizen child outside the
     U.S. from a person granted custody of the child?

     ___ Yes  _X_ No

  14. Do you plan to practice polygamy in the U.S.?

     ___ Yes  _X_ No

                         --- Continued on back ---

PART 4. Signature. (Read the information on penalties in the instructions
before completing this section. You must file this application while in the
United States.)

I certify under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of
America that this application, and the evidence submitted with it, is all
true and correct. I authorize the release of any information from my records
which the Immigration and Naturalization Service needs to determine
eligibility for the benefit I am seeking.

Signature:         Print Your Name:        Date:        Daytime Phone Number:
{Sign your name here} ZHAO WAN           06/22/93/          123-456-7890

Please Note: If you do not completely fill out this form, or fail to submit
             required documents listed in the instructions, you may not be
             found eligible for the requested document and this application
             may be denied.

PART 5. Signature of person preparing form if other than above. (Sign Below)

I declare that I prepared this application at the request of the above
person and it is based on all information of which I have knowledge.

Signature:         Print Your Name:        Date:        Daytime Phone Number:

Firm Name and Address:

{Unless you hire a lawyer to fill out the form for you, leave thise section
 empty}

Attachment: INS Form I-485 Instructions
---------------------------------------
Scaned in by: Zuofeng Li, 06/21/93

Form I-485 (09-09-92)N
                         U.S. Department of Justice
                   Immigration and Naturalization Service

                             OMB No. 1115-0053

        Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status

PURPOSE OF THIS FORM.

  This form is for a person who is in the United States to apply to adjust
  to permanent resident status or register for permanent residence while in
  the U.S. It may also be used by certain Cuban nationals to request a
  change in the date their permanent residence began.

WHO MAY FILE.

Based on an immigrant petition.

  You may apply to adjust your status if:

  o  an immigrant visa number is immediately available to you based
     on an approved immigrant petition; or

  o  you are filing this application with a complete relative, special
     immigrant juvenile, or special immigrant military petition which if
     approved, would make an immigrant visa number immediately
     available to you.

Based on being the spouse or child of another adjustment applicant or of a
person granted permanent residence.

  You may apply to adjust status if you are the spouse or child of another
  adjustment applicant, w of a lawful permanent resident, if the
  relationship existed when that person was admitted as a permanent resident
  in an immigrant category which allows derivative status for spouses and
  children.

Based on admission as the fiance(e) of a U.S. citizen and subsequent
marriage to that citizen.

  You may apply to adjust status if you were admitted to the U.S. as the K-1
  fiance(e) of a U.S. citizen and married that citizen within 90 days of
  your entry. If you were admitted as the K-2 child of such a fiance(e), you
  may apply based on your parent s adjustment application.

Based on asylum status.

  You may apply to adjust status if you have been granted asylum in the U.S.
  and are eligible for asylum adjustment.  [Note: In most cases you become
  eligible after being physically present in the U.S. for one year after the
  grant of asylum if you still qualify as a refugee or as the spouse or
  child of refugee.

Based on Cuban citizenship or nationality. You may apply to adjust status
if:

  o  you are a native or citizen of Cuba, were admitted or paroled into
     the U.S. after January 1, 1959, and thereafter have been
     physically present in the U.S. for at least one year; or

  o  you are the spouse or unmarried child of a Cuban described above, and
     you were admitted or paroled after January 1, 1959, and thereafter have
     been physically present in the U.S. for at least one year.

Based on continuous residence since before January 1,1972.

  You may apply for permanent residence if you have continuously resided in
  the U.S. since before January 1,1972.

Other basis of eligibility.

  If you are not included in the above categories, but believe you may be
  eligible for adjustment or creation of record of permanent residence,
  contact your local INS office.

Applying to change the date your permanent residence began.

  If you were granted permanent residence in the U.S. prior to November 6,
  1966, and are a native or citizen of Cuba, his or her spouse or unmarried
  minor child, you may ask to change the date your lawful permanent
  residence began to your date of arrival in the U.S. or May 2, 1964,
  whichever is later.

PERSONS WHO ARE INELIGIBLE.

  Unless you are applying for creation of record based on continuous
  residence since before 1/1/72, or adjustment of status under a category in
  which special rules apply (such as asylum adjustment, Cuban adjustment,
  special immigrant juvenile adjustment, or special immigrant military
  personnel adjustment), you are not eligible tor adjustment of status if
  any of the following apply to you:

  o  you entered the U.S. in transit without a visa

  o  you entered the U.S. as a nonimmigrant crewman;

  o  you were not admitted or paroled following inspection by an
     immigration officer

  o  your authorized stay expired before you filed this application, you
     were employed in the U.S., prior to filing this application, without
     INS authorization, or you otherwise failed to maintain your
     nonimmigrant status, other than through no fault of your own or for
     technical reasons; unless you are applying because you are an immediate
     relative of a U.S. citizen (parent, spouse, widow, widower, or
     unmarried child under 21 years old), a K-1 fiance(e) or K-2 fiance(e)
     dependent who married the U.S. petitioner within 90 days of admission,
     or an H or I special immigrant (foreign medical graduates,
     international organization employees or their derivative family
     members);

  o  you are or were a J-1 or J-2 exchange visitor, are subject to the
     two-year foreign residence requirement, and have not complied with or
     been granted a waiver of the requirement;

  o  you have A, E or G nonimmigrant status, or have an occupation which
     would allow you to have this status, unless you complete Form I-508
     (I-508F for French nationals) to waive diplomatic rights, privileges
     and immunities, and if you are an A or G nonimmigrant, unless you
     submit a completed Form I-566;

  o  you were admitted to Guam as a visitor under the Guam visa waiver
     program;

  o  you were admitted to the U.S. as a visitor under the Visa Waiver
     Pilot Program, unless you are applying because you are an immediate
     relative of a U.S. citizen (parent, spouse, widow, widower, or
     unmarried child under 21 years old);

  o  you are already a conditional permanent resident;

  o  you were admitted as a K-1 fiance(e) but did not marry the U.S. citizen
     who filed the petition for you, or were admitted as the K-2 child of a
     fiance(e) and your parent did not marry the U.S. citizen who filed the
     petition.

GENERAL FILING INSTRUCTIONS.

  Please answer all questions by typing or clearly printing in black ink.
  Indicate that an item is not applicable with N/A . If the answer is
  "none", write "none". If you need extra space to answer any item, attach a
  sheet of paper with your name and your alien registration number (A), if
  any, and indicate the number of the item to which the answer refers. You
  must file your application with the required Initial Evidence. Your
  application must be properly signed and filed with the correct fee. If you
  are under 14 years of age, your parent or guardian may sign your
  application.

Translations.

  Any foreign language document must be accompanied by a full English
  translation which the translator has certified as complete and correct,
  and by the translator s certification that he or she is competent to
  translate from the foreign language into English.

Copies.

  If these instructions state that a copy of a document may be filed with
  this application, and you choose to send us the original, we may keep the
  original for our records.

INITIAL EVIDENCE.

  You must file your application with following evidence:

  o  Birth certificate. Submit a copy of your birth certificate or other
     record of your birth.

  o  Photos. Submit two (2) identical natural color photographs of yourself,
     taken within 30 days of this application [Photos must have a white
     background, be unmounted, printed on thin paper, and be glossy and
     unretouched. They must show a three-quarter frontal profile showing the
     right side of your face, with your right ear visible and with your head
     bare. You may wear a headdress if required by a religious order of
     which you are a member. The photos must be no larger than 2 X 2 inches,
     with the distance from the top of the head to just below the chin about
     1 and 1/4 inches. Lightly print your A # (or your name if you have no
     A #) on the back of each photo, using a pencil.].

  o  Fingerprints. Submit a complete set of fingerprints on Form FD-258 If
     you are between the ages of 14 and 75 [Do not bend, fold, or crease the
     fingerprint chart. You should complete the information on the top of
     the chart and write your A # (if any) in the space marked "Your no.
     OCA" or "Miscellaneous no. MNU". You should not sign the chart until
     you have been fingerprinted, or are told to sign by the person who
     takes your fingerprints. The person who takes your fingerprints must
     also sign the chart and write his/her title and the date you are
     fingerprinted in the space provided on the chart. You may be
     fingerprinted by police, sheriff, or INS officials or other reputable
     person or organization. You should call the police, sheriff,
     organization or INS office before you go there. since some offices do
     not take fingerprints or may take fingerprints only at certain times.].

  o  Medical Examination. Submit a medical examination report on the form
     you have obtained from INS [Not required if you are applying for
     creation of record based on continuous residence since before 1/1/72,
     or if you are a K-1 fiance(e) or K-2 dependent of a fiance(e) who had a
     medical examination within the past year as required for the
     nonimmigrant fiance(e) visa.].

  o  Form G-325A, Biographic Information Sheet. You must submit a completed
     G-325A if you are between 14 and 79 years of age.

  o  Evidence of status. Submit a copy of your Form I-94, Nonimmigrant
     Arrival/Departure Record, showing your admission to the U.S. and
     current status, or other evidence o your status.

  o  Employment letter/Affidavit of Support. Submit a letter showing you are
     employed in a job that is not temporary, an affidavit of support from a
     responsible person in the U.S., or other evidence that shows that you
     are not likely to become a public charge [Not required if you are
     applying for creation of record based on continuous residence since
     before 1/1/72, asylum adjustment, or a Cuban or a spouse or unmarried
     child of a Cuban who was admitted after 1/1/59].

  o  Evidence of eligibility.

     o  Based on an immigrant petition. Attach a copy of the approval notice
        for an immigrant petition which makes a visa number immediately
        available to you, or submit a complete relative, special immigrant
        juvenile, or special immigrant military petition which, if approved.
        will make a visa number immediately available to you.

     o  Based on admission as the K-1 fiance(e) of a U.S. citizen and
        subsequent marriage to that citizen. Attach a copy of the fiance(e)
        petition approval notice and a copy of your marriage certificate.

     o  Based on asylum status. Attach a copy of the letter or Form I-94
        which shows the date you were granted asylum.

     o  Based on continuous residence in the U.S. since before 1/1/72.
        Attach copies of evidence that shows continuous residence since
        before 1/1/72.

     o  Based on Cuban citizenship or nationality. Attach evidence of your
        citizenship or nationality, such as a copy of your passport, birth
        certificate or travel document.

     o  Based on you being the spouse or child of another adjustment
        applicant or person granted permanent residence based on issuance of
        an immigrant visa. File your application with the application of
        that other applicant, or with evidence it is pending with the
        Service or has been approved, or evidence your spouse or parent has
        been granted permanent residence based on an immigrant visa and:

        o  If you are applying as the spouse of that person, also attach a
           copy of your marriage certificate and copies of documents showing
           the legal termination of all other marriages by you and your
           spouse; or

        o  If you are applying as the child of that person, also attach a
           copy of your birth certificate, and, if the other person is not
           your natural mother, copies of evidence, (such as a marriage
           certificate and documents showing the legal termination of all
           other marriages, and an adoption decree), to demonstrate that you
           qualify as his or her child.

     o  other basis for eligibility. Attach copies of documents proving that
        you are eligible for the classification.

WHERE TO FILE.

  File this application at the local INS office having jurisdiction over
  your place of residence.

Fee.

  The fee for this application is $120, except that it is $95 if you are
  less than 14 years old. The fee must be submined in the exact amount. It
  cannot be refunded. DO NOT MAIL CASH. All checks and money orders must be
  drawn on a bank or other institution located in the United States and must
  be payable in United States currency. The check or money order should be
  made payable to the Immigration and Naturalization Service, except that:

  o  If you live in Guam, and are filing this application in Guam, make
     your check or money order payable to the "Treasurer, Guam."

  o  If you live In the Virgin Islands, and are filing this application in
     the Virgin Islands, make your check or money order payable to the
     "Commissioner of Finance of the Virgin Islands."

  Checks are accepted subject to collection. An uncollected check will
  render the application and any document issued invalid. A charge of $5.00
  will be imposed if a check in payment of a fee Is not honored by the bank
  on which it is drawn.

PROCESSING INFORMATION.

Acceptance.

  Any application that is not signed, or is not accompanied by the correct
  fee, will be rejected with a notice that the application is deficient.
  You may correct the deficiency and resubmit the application. An
  application is not considered properly filed until accepted by the
  Service.

Initial processing.

  Once an application has been accepted, it will be checked for
  completeness.  including submission of the required initial evidence. If
  you do not completely fill out the form, or file it without required
  initial evidence, you will not establish a basis for eligibility, and we
  may deny your application.

Requests for more information.

  We may request more Information or evidence. We may also request that you
  submit the originals of any copy.  We will return these originals when
  they are no longer required.

Interview.

  After you file your application you will be notified to appear at an INS
  office to answer questions about the application. You will be required to
  answer these questions under oath or affirmation. You must bring your
  Arrival-Departure Record (Form I-94) and any passport to the interview.

Decision.

  You will be notified in writing of the decision on your application.

Travel Outside the U.S.

  If you plan to leave the U.S. to go to any other country, including Canada
  or Mexico, before a decision is made on your application, contact the INS
  office processing your application before you leave. In many cases,
  leaving the U.S. without advance written permission will result in
  automatic termination o your application. Also, you may experience
  difficulty upon returning to the U.S. if you do not have written
  permission to reenter.

PENALTIES.

  If you knowingly and willfully falsify or conceal a material fact or
  submit a false document with this request, we will deny the benefit you
  are filing for, and may deny any other immigration benefit. In addition,
  you will face severe penalties provided by law, and may be subject to
  criminal prosecution.

PRIVACY ACT NOTICE.

  We ask for the information on this form, and associated evidence. to
  determine if you have established eligibility for the immigration benefit
  you are filing for. Our legal right to ask for this information is in 8
  USC 1255 and 1259. We may provide this information to other government
  agencies.  Failure to provide this information, and any requested
  evidence, may delay a final decision or result in denial of your request.

PAPERWORK REDUCTION ACT NOTICE.

  We try to create forms and instructions that are accurate, can be easily
  understood, and which impose the least possible burden on you to provide
  us with information. Often this is difficult because some immigration laws
  are very complex. The estimated average time to complete and file this
  application is computed as follows: (1) 20 minutes to learn about the law
  and form; (2) 25 minutes to complete the form; and (3) 270 minutes to
  assemble and file the application, including the required interview and
  travel time; for a total estimated average of 5 hours and 15 minutes per
  application. If you have comments regarding the accuracy of this estimate,
  or suggestions tor making this form simpler, you can write to both the
  Immigration and Naturalization Service, 425 I Street, N.W., Room 5304,
  Washington, D.C. 20536; and the Office of Management and Budget, Paperwork
  Reduction Project, OMB No. 1115-0053, Washington, D.C.  20503.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. INS Approved Doctors List Available in IFCSS Headquarters ............ 45
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>  June 21, 1993

      IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4145     June 21, 1993

Dear fellow Chinese students and scholars:

     Many CSS have reported to the IFCSS HQ that district INS offices have
refused to provide doctors' list to Chinese students who are therefore unable
to take the medical examination.

     The IFCSS HQ has just obtained a nation-wide INS approved doctors' list
from the INS HQ (some doctors may have medical examination forms. Since it is
a long document (about two hundred pages,) we cannot distribute it through
email, nor can we give it to every individual because of our limited manpower
and resources. Our plan is to give it to local CSS organizations (including
professional clubs) and let them distribute the list.

     Under this plan, the duties are divided as follows:

     1.  IFCSS HQ divides the nation-wide list by states.

     2.  Local CSS (including professional clubs) leaders send request to
IFCSS HQ for the doctors' list in their state through fax or priority mail.
The request must be signed by the President of the organization.

     3.  The local organizations make xerox copies of the list and
re-distribute them among local CSS.

     4.  The HQ maintains a list of those who received the list and refer
future requests to relevant local organizations.

     To offset the cost incurred, a shipping and handling fee of $4.00 will
be required. It can be sent to the HQ after the local organization receives
the list.

     The request should be made to the IFCSS CSPA Information Center.

Address:

      IFCSS CSPA Information Center
      733 15th Street, N.W.
      Suite 438
      Washington, D.C. 20005

      Fax: 202-347-0018

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. A Summary of the Information on Immigration/CSPA Lawyers (6 Items) .. 115
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collected and Summarized by: Bo Xiong, 06/21/93

[Editor's Note: The following is a summary of immigration lawyers who
                provide immigration/CSPA law services.    The order of
                the listing is per the date we received the respective
                info.  This summary is for your reference only, please
                use your own judgement when you hire your immigration
                lawyer, regarding the scope of services provided, fees,
                and other legal matters.

                Please concerned readers direct your inqueries at the
                addresses listed in respective items below, CND assumes
                no responsibility for the information provided here. ]

--- --- ---

>From: [email-masked] (Anthony D. Wang)         June 8, 1993

One of the bigest law firms in Indiana, Baker & Daniels, is offering free
services for Chinese students who qualify to use CSPA.

If interested, please contact Ji-Qing LIU at

Ji-Qing Liu, Attorney at Law, Baker & Daniels
300 North Meridian St., Indianapolis, IN 46204
Tel: 317-237-0300, FAX: 317-237-1000

--- --- ---

>From *****@****.GEO.VIMS.EDU Wed Jun  9 10:47 CDT 1993

To CSS in Washington, D.C. and Virginia,
        You may have received a letter from a Law firm (Wasserman, Mancini
& Chang) which asks you to pay him for processing the application of PR
per CSPA.  My experience of doing business with them reminded me and I
felt necessary to suggest you to think twice before you write your check.
Good luck.

--- --- ---

>From: [email-masked]   June 17, 1993
Subject: Dr. Haiching Zhao Announces CSPA Services

     To assist you in obtaining the permanent status you are entitled to,
we announce the formation of the National Chinese Services Corporation(NCS).
NCS will work in cooperation with the law firm of Baker and McKenzie to
ensure that you receive full benefits.

     Call our office at 202-835-1880 first for a telephone interview.  Our
office is currently equipped with 8 telephone lines to handle the large
volume.  The office hour is 9:00 a.m. to midnight eastern time.

     Upon confirming your eligibility, and your agreeing using our service,
we would ask you to send a first payment of $400.00 (totasl charge will be
$700 - $800).

     NCS provides services during this special period seven days a week 9:00
a.m. to midnight EST at (202) 835-1880. FAX: (202) 835-1883.  The address for
NCS Corp. is: 815 Connecticut Avenue, NW 12th Floor, Washington, DC 20006

--- --- ---

>From: Wenming Kuai <[email-masked]>  June 18, 1993

    ACP CPBISC  Chinese Protection Bill Implementation Service Center

                  EMAIL:   [email-masked]
                  TEL:     302-731-1104
                  FAX:     302-292-8477
                  ADDRESS: 5525-42 Limeric Cir.
                           Wilmington, DE 19808

   Itemized Fee :

         1. $100, Service Charge from the Law Offices +
         2. If you want us to send your forms to you through Federal Express,
            please add $13 per person (Each individual will be handled
            separately even among family members) (Option A) +
         3. If you want us to send your application to regional INS offices
            through Federal Express, please add another $13 (Option B).

   Note: 1 is mandatory, 2 and 3 are optional. If you don't choose Federal
         Express, we will send your material through First Class mail at
         no extra cost. But Federal Express is highly recommended.

--- --- ---

>From ****@*******.******.edu Fri Jun 18 10:32 CDT 1993

Just found out this morning that my lawyer, Mike Nolan of Goldberg, Katz
and Croft in Clayton, MO, (Mike Nolan is actually a "legal assistant"), is
sending out packages of forms supposedly for CSPA free of charge.

I talked with Mike a few minutes ago. He confirmed that he is sending out
a package of forms that he thought would be necessary for CSPA application
to anyone who calls, either in the state of Missouri or other states,
free of charge. However he cautioned that the list of doctors authorized
by INS for medical exam. will not be applicable to people in other states.

They also provide a list of services that the law firm will provide for a
charge of $500 to the first qualified applicant under CSPA of a CSS family,
and $250 for all other members of the family, so the total is no more than
$750.

The phone number is (314) 726-0777. Ask for Angie if you call.

--- --- ---

>From: Biansheng Sun <[email-masked]>         June 18, 1993

   If anyone of you have trouble with getting the birth certificate, the
following way you may have a try: I called a lawyer in Atlanta two days
ago for advice on obtaining a sort of substitute of the may-not-required
birth certificate and was told that the best thing you should get is the
xerox copy of the related pages from your old Household Registration Book
(Hu4 Kou3 Bu4). But if you could not get that, a statement of your birthday,
the location where you were born and your parents.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Protection Against Unscrupulous Immigration Lawyers ................. 115
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From: Sidney=[email-masked]  June 21, 1993

July 1 is coming and there are all sorts of rumors concerning the PR
applications proceedings for PRC nationals.

I hope what I append is useful for the Chinese students in one aspects:
HOW TO BEAT UNETHICAL IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS.

I am a Chinese doctoral candidate in city planning at UC Berkeley. A year
ago, my wife and I hired a SF Chinese immigration lawyer and ended up in
suing him for unethical conduct.  We won the case and got back what we
deserved. Throughout the process, I learn some key things we need to know
in hiring attorney.

The necessity to hire attorney in the PR applications for those who are
genuinely under the President EO Protection is questionable. These are
straight cases.  An attorney, perhaps, help save the trouble of lining up
for getting and submitting the forms.

Anyway, beware of unscrupulous lawyers.  U.S. IS RULED AND RUINED BY
LAWYERS.

             *****  ATTACHMENT: CHINA5.TXT *****

PROTECTION AGAINST UNSCRUPULOUS IMMIGRATION LAWYERS --
with special reference to the San Francisco Bay Area

Please circulate
(Source: [email-masked])

THE NEVERS
1.      NEVER hire a lawyer who is not licensed by the State where
        s/he practices --
        It is nearly impossible to press out-of-state agency to
        enforce disciplinary action.  (Loophole in law allows
        out-of-state lawyers to practice in Federal courts as
        far as they confine their service to federal law.)

2.      NEVER pay without a written agreement --
        Most state Professional & Business Code REQUIRES written
        agreement for legal services.  For instance, California Code
        6148 specifies that attorney has to spell out, in writing,
        the type of service and declare whether malpractice insurance
        is purchased in case of legal fee more than $1,000.

3.      NEVER hire a lawyer if you find his/her clerks are underpaid,
        inexperienced, arrogant, and difficult to talk to --
        These clerks, NOT THE LAWYER, are the very ones who do the
        paper-works for your application.

THINGS SHOULD BE DONE
1.      Check with the State BAR Association hotline about the lawyer's
        particulars --
        Most states disclose the lawyer's qualifications, license
        information and any record of being complained.
        In California, call 1800-843-9053 (Office of Investigation).
        In San Francisco, call (415) 346-6601 (Bar Membership Inquiry).

2.      Beware when the lawyer insists you to pay before starting any
        work.  Big firms normally send you the bill and written
        agreement several weeks after they start the paper work.

3.      It is your right to fire the lawyer with cause at any time
        provided that you compensate her/him the works having done up
        to the time of discharge.  California Code 6148 specifically
        makes provision for client to discharge lawyer WITHOUT cause
        if attorney fails to present written agreement.

4.      In case of problems with the lawyer, complain to the State
        disciplinary agency in the state where the lawyer is licensed.
        For California BAR member, call Mr. Steele at (213) 580-5376 of
             Office of Complaint of California Bar Association.
        For Pennsylvania BAR member, call Mr. Frese at (215) 560-6296 of
             Disciplinary Board of Supreme Court of Pennsylvania.

5.      In case of fee dispute, either go to the local small claim
        court or to the arbitration services of COUNTY BAR Association.
        (California Code 6200 requires the county BAR, which is
        independent of the State BAR, to set up arbitration services.)
        My experience is that the county BAR provides a fair trial and
        it does enforcement (whereas the small claim court does not).
        In San Francisco County, contact Ms Connie Moore of the
        Arbitration Service at (415) 267-0713.
        (You start either proceedings at the county where the lawyer
        practices regardless if s/he is out-of-state lawyer.)

6.      If you suspect that the lawyers does not comply with law such
        as not providing written agreement and practicing without
        license, contact local District Attorney Office.  In San
        Francisco, call Mr. Landini at (415) 553-1752.

7.      The arbitration in my dispute with a lawyer revealed that
        majority of immigration cases are charged on a flat fee basis.
        For instance, in early 1993 labor certificate charge ranged from
        $1500 to $2500 in San Francisco .  Hourly rate is rare but for
        billing purpose, it ranged from $95 to $190.

8.      My own BIAS is that we should be cautious of small law office
        operate by a single Chinese attorney and Chinese clerk and whose
        clients are predominantly non-English speaking Chinese.  Avoid law
        offices which advertise at TV and newspaper.  If they are good,
        they should have sufficient referral business.

9.      Other useful numbers are:
        General inquiry of California Barrister Association: (415) 241-2020
        General inquiry of Pennsylvania Barrister Association: (717) 238-6715
        General inquiry of San Francisco Bar Association: (415) 764-1600
        San Francisco Small Claims Court: (415) 554-4565
        Asian Law Caucus: (415) 391-1655
        Volunteer Legal Services Program: (415) 398-LAWS
        Immigration Legal Resource Center: (415) 442-7294
        Immigration Clinic (415) 543-9444
        Asian Pacific Legal Center: (213) 747-9943

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|     Editor of This Issue: Bo Xiong,   Coordinating Editor: Wei Lin       |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  China News Digest (CND) offers the following services:                  |
|     (1) Global News (daily)        (2) US Regional News                  |
|     (3) Canada Regional News       (4) Europe & Pacific Regional News    |
|     (5) Hua Xia Wen Zhai (a weekly Chinese magazine)                     |
|     (6) several information packages.                                    |
|  For subscription information, mail to: [email-masked]                 |
|  To get help, mail to:                  [email-masked]                 |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+