Subject: CND-US CSPA Information Exchange Package (XII), June 23, 1993

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1993 01:11:21 -0500

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                               (US Regional)

Information Exchange (XII): About Preparing to Apply for U.S. PR Under CSPA

                         Wednesday, June 23, 1993

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| CND-US, normally 1 or 2 issues a week, is a supplement to CND-Global and |
| has  basically no overlap with the daily news.  CND-US provides in-depth |
| information concerning Chinese students/scholars in the United States.   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

[Editor's Note: The following is collected and edited from the information
                CND received or saw on the network and elsewhere, we believe
                it is of information nature.  We forward it to concerned
                readers as a timely reference service.  However, some of the
                information may need to be verified (it is beyond our
                capacity to do so).  Please consult your lawyer and use
                your own discretion before you use the information printed
                in this package to make decision(s) on related matter.

                Also, please refer to CND-US CSPA Information Exchange
                Packages (I) thru (XI) for more info. Many questions have
                been answered and/or discussed in the previous issues.

                Related info is available from CND CSPA InfoBase, by anon
                ftp to CND.ORG (IP: 132.249.229.100) dir pub/InfoBase/CSPA

                Some of the e-addresses/names/ID's are withheld per sender's
                request, except for those already posted to public network.

                We welcome readers sending their info/experience to us to let
                others to share, request for anonymity will be honored.

                Due to our limited manpower resource of volunteers, we regret
                that we are UNABLE to answer questions from readers.
                     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                CSPA = Chinese Student Protection Act of 1992, U.S.A. ]

Table of Contents                                                 # of Lines
============================================================================
 Information Exchange (XII): About Preparing to Apply for U.S. PR Under CSPA

1. IFCSS Reports Satisfactory Settlement in Several CSPA Key Issues ..... 75
2. Supplement to "An Example of Filling out Form I-485"
    -- What Does "Eligible Dependents File Separately" Mean? ........... 115
3. Some CSPA-Related Questions and Answers and Discussions from/by CSS . 365
   (I-134, Employment Letter, I-94, Marriage Cert. Criminal Record, I-485)
4. Immigration Lawyer Info / Readers' Complaints Against NCS Service ... 100
============================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. IFCSS Reports Satisfactory Settlement in Several CSPA Key Issues ..... 75
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]> Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1993 17:11:16
Subject:  GOOD NEWS ON CSPA IMPLEMENTATION   (IFCSS HQ NR-4147)

     This morning, Ms. Philis Coven, Assistant Attorney General in charge of
reviewing CSPA Implementation Regulations, informed Heping Shi, IFCSS
Director of Government Affairs, that several key issues have been finally
resolved.  These are the issues which IFCSS identified in the very beginning
of the regulation formulation and on which we have worked hardest. Frankly,
we are elated with a sense of accomplishment, but much more importantly, we
are relieved that many of our fellow students and dependents will not be
forced back to China against their will. Here is the news.

     1. Late-arriving dependents will be allowed continued legal status in
the U.S. and will be issued work permits. However, they are not allowed to
apply for PR with the principal applicants.

     2. No applicant will be excluded on financial grounds. You may be a
student without a TA, you may have only a part-time job, or you may even not
have a job, but you are still eligible for PR if you apply under CSPA.

     3. The passport will be a valid substitute for the birth certificate.

     The Regulations will be published pretty soon.

                          --- --- ---

         A Message From IFCSS Fourth Term Headquarters
         ---------------------------------------------

     In the past months, IFCSS has been working very hard on issues related
to the CSPA implementation, devoting 90% of its resources and manpower in an
attempt to obtain the best results for all those who will benefit from the
Act. The HQ staff have spent many a sleepless night. Today, we feel that we
are fully rewarded for our efforts. Still, because our limited capacity and
the overwhelming number of potential applicants (just imagine how many
questions and concerns heading our way), our work has not been satisfactory
to all. For those who are not angry with us, we appreciate your patience; for
those who have lost your temper, we understand your anxiety. We are ordinary
students like you, not trained to deal with issues of such complexity and
magnitude. But we have done our share and are ready to go back to school. As
a distinct interest group in the U.S., there is a lot to do in the future,
and next time it will be your turn. No matter how imperfect IFCSS is, without
an organization like this, we will achieve nothing. The current term of IFCSS
leadership will expire in about ten days and new leadership will be elected
at IFCSS 5th Congress, which will take place July 2 - 5 at The University of
Kentucky, Lexington. At this moment, the best way to show your support of
IFCSS is to send delegates to the Congress.

     We are thankful to INS HQ for its cooperation. Among those who deserve
our thanks are Edward Skerett, Rita Boie, Sophia Cox, E.B. Duarte, Beart Ort,
Grover Rees, and Kevin Jones. Many individuals and institutions have provided
generous support in our communication with INS. We are particularly grateful
to John Kelly and Steffen Nelson at Senator Gorton's office, Mike Meyers at
Senator Kennedy's office, Carolyn Bartholomew at Congresswoman Pelosi's
office, Philis Coven at the Attorny General office, Jefferson Hill at Office
of Commerce and Lands at OMB, Eric Schwartz at Office for Global affairs and
Kent Wiedemann at Office for Asian Affairs at National Security Council,
Diane Kelly at Office of Chinese and Mongolian Affairs at Department of State.
Our deepest appreciation, needless to say, goes to Senator Slade Gorton,
Senator Edward Kennedy, Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi, and Congressman Joe
Barton, without whose efforts the CSPA would have been impossible. You are
encouraged to send thank-you cards to these people. If you cannot find their
addresses, we will be pleased to forward them to you.

     Finally, we want to thank all of you, our fellow students who have
supported or criticized IFCSS. Encouragement and criticisms alike showed
your care for our organization.

     We will continue to offer our service to you till the last day we are
in office. Best wishes to you all.

            IFCSS Headquarters (Signed)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Supplement to "An Example of Filling out Form I-485"
    -- What Does "Eligible Dependents File Separately" Mean? ........... 115
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From: ****@****.edu  June 22, 1993

CND-US carried "An Example of Filling out Form I-485" in CSPA Info Exchange
Package (XI), a reader raised some concern on "dependents filing separately",
let's read the comment first and then have more discussion.

>Date:         Tue, 22 Jun 1993 09:47:00 CDT
>From: Chao Wang <[email-masked]>
>Subject:  What means "dependents filing separately"?
>To: Multiple recipients of list CHINA-NT <[email-masked]>
>
>After read the article "An Example of Filing out Form I-485" in CND-US
>CSPA Information Exchange (XI), I found the author may miss-understand
>"dependents filing separately".
>
>As my understanding, CSPA covers all those chinese under defined terms.
>It doesn't mean that covers students only, even it was titled as "Chinese
>Student Protection ...". So a dependent eligible for CSPA should be able
>to file her/his application individually, that means he/she and his/her
>spouse may file two different applications irrelevant to each other. As I
>know the normal procedure, a dependent MUST file the application WITH the
>principal, both of them MUST file different I-485, and they MUST send two
>application forms together to INS. This is the reason why INS emphases
>"dependent filing separately". Otherwise, it is nonsensical comments.
>
>In the example I mentioned above, he treats his wife as a NORMAL derivative
>dependent and "applying with" him. I don't think it is correct to do so.
>It may cause some problems. 1, an INS office may be confused from the
>dependent's eligibility. 2, They must submit a marriage certificate,
>but eventually they don't have it. ...
>
>On the other hand, you still have to pay $120/$95 for each I-485 though
>you put them into the same envelope.

Thank you for raising the question, I believe this is regarding Part 3
Section B of Form I-485, list of present family members, the question in the
form appears as (is the family member) "applying with you" and the Example
checked "YES" entry.

There is indeed a note on top of "An Example of Filling out Form I-485",
stating individually eligible members of your family must file separately,
i.e., one Form I-485 plus supporting materials per eligible person.

Although the expression "filling separately" or the such is not found in the
INS draft of Additional Instructions of Form I-485, per the INS draft rule
itself, EVERYONE of eligible PRCers should file as "CSPA-Principal",
regardless he/she is on F-1 or F-2, J-1 or J-2 etc.

The filing procedure in the INS draft of Additional Instructions of Form
I-485 does imply that "eligible dependents file separately" since INS only
accept INDIVIDUAL application under CSPA, INS Q&A (see previous CND-US CSPA
Info Packages) explicitly said so.  The reason is obvious: INS can easily
exclude ineligible applicant(s) without affecting the eligible(s) in that
family.

Then, on what should be checked, "Yes" or "No" in "applying with you"?  It
could be still "Yes":

As the note on top of the Example indicates, the Example was based on the
sample Form I-485, distributed by University of Minnesota CSSA, originally
from Borene Law Firm, 4530 IDS Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55402 (Tel.
612-332-1877).

Some significant changes were made from the original sample, such as changed
scenario from F-1 to J-1, varied I-94/Visa/Entry Date and added the PLA/CCP
membership etc.

But the choice of "Yes" was originally by the law firm, apparently they
think this is the only place for the applicant to tell the INS that who else
are eligible in his family (or who are ineligible in that family), this
information may be useful in the future when those eligible family members
file as NORMAL derivatives.

For the same reason, the other eligible members should put down "Yes" in
that entry also.

Since being included in other family member's I-485 alone is NOT a formal
application for PR under CSPA (without other necessary paperwork), the
included has to file an I-485 anyway.  To not confuse INS examiner/reviewer,
it is suggested that add a note "Filing separately under CSPA" as shown
below (excerpt from I-485):

B. List your present husband/wife, all of your sons and daughters (if you
   have none, write "none". If additional space is needed, use separate
   paper.)

   Family              Given             Middle             Date of Birth
   Name:               Name:             Initial:           (month/day/year):
   LIU                 HUA                 /                  01/26/1968

   Country of birth:   Relationship:     A #:               Applying with you
    P.R. China          WIFE             NONE               _X_ Yes  ___ No
                                                          (Filing separately
                                                           under CSPA)

By the way, the INS draft rule does NOT require family members to submit
marriage certificate or evidence of family member etc., except for those
applicants who are NON-PRC eligibles.

As always, the above analysis is for your reference only, not of any
authoritative nature.
                          --- --- ---

Finally, a small erratum for "An Example of Filling out Form I-485: in Part
2, block h, "If dependent, write CSPA-QUALIFIED FAMILY MEMBER" should be "If
NON-PRC dependent, write CSPA-QUALIFIED FAMILY MEMBER" (excerpt from I-485):

   h. _X_ Other - explain: ___CSPA-PRINCIPAL______________________________
 {All CSPA applicants                {If NON-PRC dependent,write
  MUST use block h}                   CSPA-QUALIFIED FAMILY MEMBER}

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Some CSPA-Related Questions and Answers and Discussions from/by CSS . 365
   (I-134, Employment Letter, I-94, Marriage Cert. Criminal Record, I-485)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Messages posted to various CSS related mailing lists/networks
Collected and Compiled by: Bo Xiong, 6/22/93

[Editor's Note: The questions were answered by CSS networkers and are thus
                not necessarily authoritative.  Please consult your lawyer
                and use your own discretion when you make your decision(s).
                Also, please refer to CND-US CSPA Information Exchange Packages
                (I) thru (XI) for more info. Many questions have been answered
                and/or discussed in those issues.]

--- --- ---

Q: From:  ***@***.harvard.edu Mon Jun 21 21:26 CDT 1993
   After I filled Form I-134, where to be sworn? or just send it in without
   sworn?  With a letter from employer, do I still need I-134?

A: From: ****@****.edu        June 21
   Many places: such as in front of your foreign student advisor, in your
   bank etc., i.e., any public notary services.
   The INS draft rule didn't make this quite clear, just to play safe, you
   may want to sunmit both, it doesn't hurt anyway.

--- --- ---

>From: Lin Shi <[email-masked]> June 18

Q: my question was how would INS determine if a guy has sufficient support?
   in terms of bank deposit or whatever for this CSPA application?
   it seems to me that I-134 can only be filed by US citizens or PR-alreadys
   for the support of an PR or other applicant?

A: I-134 can be filed by anyone including yourself. How to determine
   sufficient support?  Wait for INS rules.

--- --- ---

Q: From: ***@*****  June 19
   A friend of mine came to the US before June 4, 1989.  He has always had
   a legal status. In April of 1991, he traveled to Canada for two days.
   My friend was not checked by anyone at the border (no questions or records
   at all, but there is a signature on page 4 of his I-20A-B by his school
   official) at the point of his departure to Canada and reentry to the US
   two days later. My question is : Did he reenter the US WITHOUT inspection
   (EWI)? If so, is he still eligible for CSPA?

A: From:  ****@****.edu  June 21
   Yes, he was inspected, provided that he passed the border police station
   normally instead of sneaking through. A short trip to Canada and Mexico
   might not leave any record on I-94.

--- --- ---

Q: From ****@***.ohio-state.edu Fri Jun 18 11:19 CDT 1993
   My route to USA in 1988 was:
   Beijing--->Vancouver (Canada)---->Los Angeles
   I passed the US custom and inspected by INS officer at Vancouver
   International Airport before leaving for USA. Then I took a flight to
   Los Angeles and no inspection there.  How do I answer these two question
   in form I-485
   (1) Place of last entry
   (2) Were you inspected by US immigration Officer?

A: From: ****@****.edu        June 22

   (1) Los Angeles, because Vancouver is NOT a part of the U.S.A.
   (2) Yes, you were, by INS station in Vancouver sent there from L.A. per
       the treaty between U.S. and Canada.

--- --- ---

Q: From [email-masked] Thu Jun 17 12:15 CDT 1993
   I got my B-1 visa in 1989 in Beijing and I lost my original document.
   I can't see clearly what the visa number is from the copy with me right
   now.  Can someone tell me the fastest way to find it?

A: From: ****@****.edu        June 18
   Check your own Tax Return 1040NR for your 1st year here, you might have
   entered the visa # in the form as IRS required.  Or check with your
   foreign student advisor office, they might keep a copy of your original
   record or your change of status record, which must contain the visa number.

--- --- ---

Q: From: *****@*****.***.uga.edu Thu Jun 17 14:50 CDT 1993
   What is the definition of "income" in item 3, form 9003? does it
   include assistantships?

A: From: ***@****.edu  June 18
   Yes, anything appears on your W-2, is considered as income by IRS.

--- --- ---

Q: From: ****@*****   June 18
   It is said that the Form 9003 may be required to apply PR under CSPA. I
   have a question as following:
   My wife came to U.S. before 4/11/90 and she is F-2 status. We filed Joint
   Tax Return  for 1991 and 1992 except for 1990 (she had no income for 1990,
   91 and 92). How does she answer the question "Did you file a United States
   Individual Income Tax Return (Form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ or 1040NR) in any of
   the last three years"?

A: From: ****@****.edu        June 20
   "Joint Return" means she filed exactly the same form as you did, since her
   social security number was entered in the joint return form.

--- --- ---

>From: Lin Shi <[email-masked]> June 18

Q: My I-94 was taken by INS officers when I got my working permit
   (Form I-688B) last year. How do I re-apply for an original?
   I do have a copy of my original.

A-1: By Lin Shi: You have to get it back, but I don't know how. However, if
     what you did was a DED, wait for INS implementation rules.
A-2: By  ****@****.edu: You don't need it until final interview, you can take
     your copy and I-688B there and INS must have computer record of your
     I-94.

Q: Do I need to notarize for the copy of my I-94, passport,
   IAP-66, I-20 forms?

A-1: By Lin Shi: No
A-2: By ****@****.edu: INS will request the originals if they need.

Q: Suppose I didn't qualify for this application, but I want to try.
   Will INS fine me if they find I don't qualify later.

A: DO NOT DO ANYTHING ILLEGAL. Be a proud Chinese.

Q. If people has gone to Canada for more than one year,
   do they still qualify for this application?

A: By ****@****.edu:  Most probably NOT, check INS draft rule.

Q: The evidence of date(s) entering the US is easy to get: INS stamps on
   I-94, I-20, and passport.  But what about the evidence of the date(s)
   leaving US/entering China ?        Is the stamp by the Chinese "Border
   Inspection" (Bian4 Fang2 Jian3 Cha2) on the passport sufficient ?

A-1: By Lin Shi: I don't know, but yours is a nice thought. They might take
     it. I hope the INS rules will spell this out.

A-2: By *****@****.edu: All of your I-94's are in INS computer, when you left
     for China, you SHOULD turn in the I-94 to the airliner so INS got it.
     When you returned from China, you got a NEW I-94, so INS can compare
     computer records if they choose to do so (usually they don't).

Q: If one was charged Criminal Trespassing 3 years ago and the court granted
   one 'Motion set side' 2 1/2 years ago.  Does that person require to report
   it on I-485 since the person was told by the court that the court won't
   release the record to investigation since the case dismissed. How can that
   person answer the question on I-485 such as" Have you ever, in or outside
   the U.S. a. knowingly committed any crime of moral turpitude or a drug-
   related offense for which you have not been arrested?

A: If you don't report it, they probably can't find out. But if I were
   you, my personal choice would be to write it and say case dismissed.

Q: I have been continuously present in US since (before) 6.4/'89.
   And of course I have the old and ONLY I-94. Do I need to provide any
   evidence of such continuous presence? Since as I know, otherwise I
   would have a new I-94 for the new entry.

A: No, you definitely do not need to prove your stay since you have the
   continuous stay. Even for people with a new I-94 that's dated after the
   Exec. Order, the INS should have no trouble tracing his/her total stay
   from the new I-94 and their computerized record.

--- --- ---

Q: From: *****@****.rutgers.edu Fri Jun 18 09:32 CDT 1993
1. The results of medical exam includes an X-ray film, do I need to send
   it to the INS also?
2. The first release of the CSPA implementation rules is supposed to appear
   on FEDERAL REGISTER PUBLICATION, it this a source that can be accessed by
   general public? if yes, how? if not, what other source should carry this
   information?

A: From: ****@*****.edu  June 21

1. No, the result is written on the form by the doctor.
2. Yes, it's available to the public, check your library to see if they have
   on-line connection to get it.  If you do get it, please send it the the
   network so others can share with you.  If you don't, CND might have.

--- --- ---

Q: From ***@***.njit.edu Fri Jun 18 10:48 CDT 1993
   I went to a doctor's office in Newark and asked some questions about
   immigration medical examination. The secretary there told me that the
   effective dates for this exam is only 30 days. What does this mean? Does
   this mean if we can't have an interview in 30 days from now, then we have
   to take another exam? Some doctor said the effective days should be 3
   months.

A: From:  *****@***.edu  June 20
   INS Form I-485 instruction doesn't say 30 days, it should be no problem
   within 6 months.

--- --- ---

Forwarded by: Lin Shi <[email-masked]>  Fri, 18 Jun 1993 09:51:34
Q: I am eligible for PR under the CSPA.  But my husband came to U.S.A. after
   April 11,1990 with a B-2 visa. His B-2 visa will expire in this July. He
   has extended his B-2 visa twice for total one year. As I heard INS will
   usually not give the third extension to B-2 holder .
   So the questions are:
   1. Can he apply for PR with me as spouse at this time?  If not,
   2. How can he keep a legal status? What kind of temporal visa?

A: From: ****@****.edu        June 22
1. Apparently he is not.
2. Change to a dependent visa of YOURS, such as F-2/J-2/H-4 etc., according
   to today's IFCSS News Release, he can stay here and work.

--- --- ---

Q: From ****@***.CSC.WSU.EDU Fri Jun 18 13:37 CDT 1993
   I accidentally got out of status (F-1) for some two months, and I kept
   working without the employment authorization card.  Do you think I am
   still eligible for the CSPA benefits?  If so, how should I report my
   status (right now I am officially in deferred departure).

A: From:  ****@*****.edu  June 19
   Yes, you are, if there is no record about that in INS, you don't have to
   explain to them.

--- --- ---

>From: Lin Shi <[email-masked]> Fri, 18 Jun 1993 15:16:29

Q: My son, 7 years old, is covered by CSPA. He shares the passport with
   my wife. Does he need to file separately? Certain forms, e.g. 9003, are
   totally irrelevant to him.

A: I think he files separately no matter he has a separate passport or not.

--- --- ---

Q: ****@****.BYU.EDU Fri Jun 18 15:54 CDT 1993
   I have a friend who got his birth certificate with his parents names on it.
   instead of his step parents names. While on all other documents, he used his
   step parents names since he was adopted when he was a kid. How can he
   clarify this when he file application under CSPA?

A: From: ***@****.edu  June 21
   I didn't see the INS requirement for birth certificate need biological
   parents.

--- --- ---

Q: From:  ***@.AERO.UFL.EDU Sat Jun 19 22:26:20 1993
   I am covered by the CSPA.  I am still a J-1 holder in order to keep my
   wife's J-2 work permit.  Do I have to apply for a waiver (2-year home
   residence) first before I apply P.R.? If I fail to get P.R. this year,
   can I still apply for it as a J-1 holder next year? If not what should
   I do just now?

A: From: ***@****.edu  June 19
   According to INS CSPA draft rule, no need to apply waiver.
   Once you filed CSPA, your J-1 status ends when INS takes your I-94
   and you wait in the queue.

--- --- ---

Q: From ****@****.MsState.Edu Sun Jun 20 16:55 CDT 1993
   I am married, but my wife left me and went back to China.  And my marriage
   license is in her hand.  I have requested her to send it to me.  But I
   don't think she will mail it to me since we are not in good relationship.
   Even though she sends it to me, I don't think it will catch up my
   application.  And one fact is that she will not be filed in my application.
   My question is, will it matter if I send in my application without my
   marriage license, since my spouse will not be filled in my application?
   If it matters, what I should do to clear off the matter?

A: From: ****@****.edu June 22
   INS CSPA draft I-485 rule does NOT require marriage unless an applicant
   is a non-PRC family member, because every eligible files separately.
   If you really want it, try to get a PRC local authority issue a letter.

--- --- ---

Q: From *****@****.cs.vt.edu Mon Jun 21 11:31 CDT 1993
   Don't know if this question has been asked before but should past
   membership of Chinese Communist Youth League be mentioned in filling
   out I-485 part 3 item C ?  Is CCYL affiliated with CCP (part 3
   question 6) ?

A: From:  ****@****.edu  June 22
   Yes, it should be reported, it's upto you, there is an example about
   CCP membership in last issue of CND-US CSPA package.

--- --- ---

Q: From: [email-masked]> Date: Mon, 21 Jun 93 20:48:20
   I came here in 1987 with J-1, and returned to China in 1988
   and stayed there for a year.  I came back to U.S. with F-1 visa in 1989.
   Does anyone know whether I should write in I-485 1987 as my arrival date
   or 1989?

A: From: ****@*****.edu  June 22
   Your last trip to the U.S. on J-1 could be considered as a completely
   separate trip, and you may get a waiver of the two-year-home-stay as
   CSPA benefit.  So use 1989 as entry date.

--- --- ---

>From: ccnl reader <[email-masked]>   Sat, 19 Jun 1993 21:15:54 CDT

Q: Another question.  My wife WAS in WIC program, but only during the
   pregnancy period and the labor time for my son.  She is a graduate student
   and has a RA assistantship.  My understanding is that the WIC was for my
   son, since he is a US citizen.  Thus, I am wondering whether she should
   answer YES to the question about "receive public assistance" in #2 of Part
   3 in I-485 or NO.

A: Your wife has to answer yes. The reason is when she was pregnant, SHE
   received WIC; After the child was born, SHE and your son both received
   WIC. This is the common practice. You can verify it through health
   department of your residence. If your son is not a US citizen and is
   under 5 year's old (?), your son can receive WIC too. Check with WIC
   program and they will tell you what the nature of the program is and
   the ownership of the aid.

--- --- ---

>From: Lin Shi <[email-masked]>  Sun, 20 Jun 1993 22:08:59

Q: I have some questions on employment letter, hope you have the answers.
   1. what does it like (i.e. sample wordings)?
   2. is it for PERMANENT employment only?
   3. I am a student having RA, do you think a self-sponsored I-134 is better
      or an employment letter?

A: 1. To Whom It May Concern:
      This is to certify that so-and-so is employed in our department in the
      position of Teaching/Research Assistant with a salary of $11,000 per
      year. Any questions may be directed to the undersigned.

      Signed by employer and printed on official Dept stationary.

   2. Not necessarily for CSPA. If it were for regular employment-based
      applicant it would have to be for permanent job.

   3. Either.

Q: On form G-325A, it asks to list all employments in the last five years.
   Since I have always been student(with TA/RA), I was wondering would TA/RA
   be considered employment?

A: Yes, they are employment.

Q: On the same note, would support received from TA/RA be considered enough
   as evidence of not being likely on public charge?  My guess is that if this
   is not enough, quite numbers of CSS would be ineligible if he/she could not
   find an US citizen/PR sponsor to complete form I-134.

A: I believe it will be enough. I-134 is only a formality.For CSPA applicants,
   do you really think INS will deny you for not having enough money now? I do
   not. That's why I have been advising students who do not have TA/RA to do
   an I-134 based on mere personal savings of a reasonable size. Only for
   those applicants who have are not students and do not have a job either
   (I'm not speaking of dependents), I-134 by a relative or friend may be
   necessary.
   As I have said before, I-134 does not have to be completed by a citizen/PR,
   it is OK to sponsor oneself for employment-based PR application.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Immigration Lawyer Info / Readers' Complaints Against NCS Service ... 100
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collected and Summarized by: Bo Xiong, 06/21/93

[Editor's Note: The following is a summary of immigration lawyers who
                provide immigration/CSPA law services.    The order of
                the listing is per the date we received the respective
                info.  This summary is for your reference only, please
                use your own judgement when you hire your immigration
                lawyer, regarding the scope of services provided, fees,
                and other legal matters.

                Please concerned readers direct your inquiries at the
                addresses listed in respective items below, CND assumes
                no responsibility for the service info provided here. ]

--- --- ---

Forwarded by: Jeff Wang <[email-masked]>  Mon, 21 Jun 1993 10:56:35

>From: David W. Lee, Attorney at law

If you feel like having an immigration lawyer handle your petition, you will
be more than welcome to call me or come to my office to discuss it further.
Since the procedural rules are not out yet, there is no base for setting up
a fee right now.  But I will charge a reasonable fee for everybody.

My office's number and address are:

        10033 9th St. N., 3rd floor
        St. Petersburg, FL 33716
        Tel: (813) 579-0333 (work), (813) 577-2140 (home)
        Fax: (813) 579-4872

--- --- ---

Date:         Fri, 18 Jun 1993 22:22:34 EDT
.From: Shicheng Jiang <[email-masked]>
>
>Date: Fri, 18 Jun 93 14:17 EDT
>From: [email-masked] (hz1)
>Subject: Re: finger print & McKenzie
>To: [email-masked] (kz5)
>
>I read the e-mail message sent by YANG GUANG from NCS and I would like to
>clarify some facts and have a line of comment.
>
>I went to the meeting on Monday at UMd and paid $400 to NCS and got the
>package of forms which included the fingerprint form.  My girl friend and I
>went to the College Park police station (across Rt.1 from campus) early next
>morning to have fingerprints taken.  Even though the official fingerprint
>hours were 1:30pm - 4:00pm on Tuesdays, the police officer volunteered to do
>it for us right away.  When the officer found that the fingerprint form had
>no USINS stamp and the previous stamp in the block was covered by white-out,
>he said that form was not valid and showed us a proper one.  He was sorry
>that they didn't have forms so we left.  Then I called NCS to tell them the
>problem and was told that the police station didn't know what they were
>doing, and we should go to INS to have it done.
>
>I went to Baltimore INS building to have my fingerprint done at PHOTO EXPRESS
>PLUS on the 2nd floor, and the form was again rejected. Fortunately they had
>forms with "UNINS Baltimore" stamps so I had my fingerprint done there.
>
>The check paid to NCS was immediately cancelled on Tuesday for I smelled
>something fishy.
>
>I called the Acting District Director of INS Baltimore, Louis D. Crocetti to
>inquire whether the fingerprint form without the INS stamp was acceptable. I
>told her secretary that I got the fingerprint form from Baker & McKenzie and
>it was rejected twice. The secretary went to consult the director and came
>back in half a minute.  She asked me how the fingerprint form was identified
>-- what stamp was on it. I told her that it was whited-out.  She said that
>the fingerprint form must be identified by an INS stamp and otherwise it would
>be invalid.
>
>I have nothing against NCS and I am here only to clarify the facts.  However
>I couldn't help to have the hunch that if I continued to let NCS process my
>stuff, my application would be eventually rejected by INS and I would be told
>that INS didn't know what they were doing.
>
>Huai Zhang 6/18/93

--- --- ---

>From ****@*****.byu.edu Tue Jun 22 11:52 CDT 1993

Dear Editor,

I'd like to share my friend's experience with you. He signed an agreement with
Dr. Haiching Zhao's National Chinese Services Corporation (NCS) before he gave
it much thought in Boston. Actually his case is very clear, nothing seems in
his way of getting PR according to CSPA.  So he decided to cancel the service
and called NCS. My friend told them that he did not need their service so
please give the money back(or partially). The person on the telephone was
very rude and did everything to talk him out of the idea of cancellation. The
guy said something like "well, if you don't need our service, let's just think
you did a donation to us." This is outrageous!!! My friend was very upset and
frustrated. I was wondering if any other CND readers have similar experience
and what should my friend do next. He already paid the first $400. Anyone knows
the procedure of the policy of cancelling the NCS service?

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|    Editor of This Issue: Bo Xiong,   Coordinating Editor: Zuofeng Li     |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  China News Digest (CND) offers the following services:                  |
|     (1) Global News (daily)        (2) US Regional News                  |
|     (3) Canada Regional News       (4) Europe & Pacific Regional News    |
|     (5) Hua Xia Wen Zhai (a weekly Chinese magazine)                     |
|     (6) several information packages.                                    |
|  For subscription information, mail to: [email-masked]                 |
|  To get help, mail to:                  [email-masked]                 |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+