Subject: CND-US CSPA Information Exchange Package (XV), June 28, 1993

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1993 02:45:37 PDT

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+   C h i n a   N e w s   D i g e s t  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                               (US Regional)

Information Exchange (XV): About Preparing to Apply for U.S. PR Under CSPA

                          Monday, June 28, 1993

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| CND-US, normally 1 or 2 issues a week, is a supplement to CND-Global and |
| has  basically no overlap with the daily news.  CND-US provides in-depth |
| information concerning Chinese students/scholars in the United States.   |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Table of Contents                                                 # of Lines
============================================================================
 Information Exchange (XV): About Preparing to Apply for U.S. PR Under CSPA

1. Answers to Some Frequently Asked Questions (4 Items) ................ 115
2. An Example of Filling out Form I-134 ................................ 260
3. What to Do If You Move/Travel During CSPA Application? ............... 55
4. CSPA Implementation News from the IFCSS Headquarters ................. 60
============================================================================

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Answers to Some Frequently Asked Questions (4 Items) ................ 115
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: CND-US Editors, June 28, 1993

Q-1: I sent CND my requests/comments/questions for IFCSS/CSPA Info Center
     attention several times, but haven't received any feedback, can you
     help me?

A-1: We are sorry that we can't help you much in this regard, because China
     News Digest (CND) is in NO WAY related to the Independent Federation of
     Chinese Students and Scholars in the U.S. (IFCSS), nor related to the
     IFCSS CSPA Info Center; and nor vice versa. However, CND has selectively
     carried News Releases by the IFCSS and has been reporting IFCSS
     activities, as part of our effort to provide news and information in a
     timely manner to readers.

     Despite that we repeatedly remind readers of the fact that CND and IFCSS
     have NO affiliation relation with each other, we have been receiving
     numerous messages from readers which are addressed to the IFCSS.

     Due to our limited manpower resource of VOLUNTEERs, we have been unable
     to forward all of such messages to the IFCSS.  If you happened to have
     sent such messages to CND but haven't heard responses, you may want to
     re-send it directly to the IFCSS HQ at the address <[email-masked]>
     for proper handling and processing.

     And, CND has been actively and aggressively reaching out to search and
     collect CSPA related information (as well as reporting IFCSS's and
     others' lobbying effort for the CSPA) since years ago.  However, due to
     the nature that CND is COMPLETELY VOLUNTEERS based (all of our members
     were/are CSS just like you), there is a limit to our ability in obtaining
     news and info.

     CND aims at providing news and other information services to readers who
     are concerned primarily about China-related affairs.  CND will remain
     independent and strive to be impartial at the issues and news it reports.

Q-2: There are two different versions of INS Service Center addresses
     published on the network, which one should I use to file my CSPA
     application?  I want to file my application by Federal Express,
     but my INS Service Center address is a P.O.Box, which is not acceptable
     to Federal Express, what can I do?

A-2: You probably should use the addresses listed in the draft of INS
     Additional Instruction of Form I-485, see CND-US CSPA Info Packages
     IX and X, also please see item No.4 of this issue for more info.

     As for filing by express mail, you can use U.S. Post Office Express
     Mail, which can reach U.S. Mail P.O.Box, usually if a package is
     put in by 3:00PM, it will be delivered by 8:30AM next morning. Check
     your local post office for details.  You may also want to request
     return receipt service from post office.

Q-3: I tried to find answers to my questions on CSPA in CND-US CSPA Info
     packages, but I failed to find anything from those items titled as
     "Q&A" or "Questions and Answers" etc., will you give me answers?

A-3: Most of the answers to your questions are embedded in articles,
     discussions and examples in CND-US CSPA Packages, VERY FEW of them
     are actually in the Q&A items.

     CND-US CSPA Info Packages serves the purpose of Information Exchange,
     rather than Personalized Consultation Service.  Due to the limit to our
     manpower resource of VOLUNTEERs, we are unable to give you personalized
     answer(s), nor provide personalized service.  As a matter of fact,
     usually there are only two volunteer editors, sometimes only one, who
     are on duty of processing the CSPA-related messages and editing the
     packages.

     However, we have been carefully sorting and screening all kinds of
     questions we received, and found MOST of them have been answered in
     CND-US CSPA Info Packages in various forms, articles, discussions
     and Q&A's, or the answers can be obviously DERIVED from those items.
     i.e., if you closely follow the CND-US CSPA Packages, you will find
     most of the aspects have been covered.

     As for those very few questions that answers can't be easily derived
     from published CND-US CSPA Info packages, the answers are being actively
     sought and will be published once available.

     Also, errors found in previous packages are usually corrected in the
     discussions in the later issues.

     The information in CND-US CSPA Info Packages is collected and edited
     from the information CND received or saw on the network and elsewhere,
     we believe it is of information nature.  We forward it to concerned
     readers as a timely reference service.  However, some of the information
     may need to be verified (it is beyond our capacity to do so).  Please
     consult your lawyer and use your own discretion before you use the
     information printed in this package to make decision(s) on related
     matter.

     Some of the e-addresses/names/ID's are withheld per sender's request,
     except for those already posted to public network.

     We welcome readers sending their info/experience to us to let others to
     share, request for anonymity will be honored.

     Due to our limited manpower resource of volunteers, we regret that we
     are UNABLE to answer questions from readers.

Q-4: How can my friend subscribe to CND-US?  How can I get back issues of
     CND-US CSPA Info Packages?

A-4: For the information on how to subscribe to CND-US, send a message to
     [email-masked].

     Back issues of CND-US CSPA Packages and related info are available from
     CND CSPA InfoBase, by anonymous ftp to CND.ORG  (IP: 132.249.229.100)
     directory pub/InfoBase/CSPA.  If you need help in ftp, send a message
     to [email-masked].

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. An Example of Filling out Form I-134 ................................ 260
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Example Form Filled out by: *****@****.edu  June 26, 1993
Blank Form Typed in by: Zuofeng Li, June 25, 1993

[Editor's Note: This example form is for your reference only, please consult
                your immigration lawyer for authoritative instructions in
                filling out your I-134.]

Note by *****@****.edu:
----------------------
June 26's CND-US CSPA Info Exchange Package,  there is a Detail Q&A on
INS Draft of Additional Instruction of Form I-485, the Q/A No.12 indicates
who should submit a Form I-134, who may fill out/sign it:

   12.  Can I sign form I-134, Affidavit of Support, for myself, or must my
   I-134 be signed by someone else?

   Form I-134 should be signed by the person who promises the United States
   government to support you after you become a permanent resident.  If you
   will be supporting yourself, you should submit an employer letter, not
   form I-134.  If you have dependents, you may sign form I-134 for each,
   or you may simply write a letter explaining how you will support each one
   and promising to do so.

Although it's said the the INS will not deny application solely based on
financial ground (according to IFCSS News Release HQ No.4147 of June 23),
you/your eligible family members may still need to submit I-134 as routine
paperwork in the immigration process.  If you are unemployed, you may use
your bank statement (with enough balance) to substitute for a letter of
employment, or ask someone else to sign an I-134 for you, see the example
for detail.

To keep the examples consistent, we use the same example family used in
examples of filling out I-485 and G-325A (see previous issues).

There are additional comments inserted in between the "{  }"s in the
example form.

Generally, the information you provide in I-134 should be consistent with
that in your/your dependents' Form I-485's as well as in G-325A's.

Individually eligible members of your family must file separately, i.e.,
full set of application materials including the I-134.

Form I-134 (Rev. 12-1-84) Y
---------------------------

                         U.S. Department of Justice
                   Immigration and Naturalization Service

                             OMB No. 1115-0062

                            Affidavit of Support

(ANSWER ALL ITEMS: FILL IN WITH TYPEWRITER OR PRINT IN BLOCK LETTERS IN INK.)

I, __WAN ZHAO__ (name), residing at 3051 28TH ST. APT B (street and number),

{Here "I" is the person who promises the U.S. government to support your
 dependent, if you are unemployed, you may need to submit it as well. "The
 person" may be yourself, your relatives or your closed friends (better in
 the U.S.) if you are unemployed}

__MINNEAPOLIS__ (city) ____MN____ (state) ___55415___ (zip code if in U.S.)

____U.S.A._____ (country)

BEING DULY SWORN DEPOSE AND SAY:

1. I was born on _FEBRUARY 14, 1965__ (Date) at _______BEIJIN_______ (city)

__P.R. CHINA__ (country)

   If you are NOT a native born United States Citizen, answer the following
   as appropriate:

{If you meet NONE of the following a thru d, leave them blank.  You don't
 have to be one of the following to fill out I-134 for your own eligible
 dependents in INS paperwork.}

   a. If a United States citizen through naturalization, give certificate of
      naturalization number _______________________
   b. If a United States citizen through parent(s) or marriage, give
      citizenship certificate number _____________________
   c. If United States citizenship was derived by some other method, attach
      a statement of explanation.
   d. If a lawfully admitted permanent resident of the United States, give
      "A" number _______________________

2. That I am ___28____ years of age and have resided in the United States
since (date) ______August 30, 1988_____

{Use your initial entry date, those "brief, casual and innocent" leaves
 don't affect the continuity.}

3. That this affidavit is executed in behalf of the following person:

Name:       WEI ZHAO                       Sex:  MALE     Age:  25

Citizen of (country):       Marital Status:      Relationship to Deponent:
P.R. CHINA                    SINGLE                     SON
               {Or married, divoiced, widowed}  {Or, wife, friend, self etc.}

Presently resides at (street and number):    (City)    (State)   (Country)
  3051 28TH STREET, APT B                 MINNEAPOLIS    MN       U.S.A.

{Current address of supportee, may be different from the supporter}

Name of spouse and children accompanying of following to join person:

Spouse:            Sex:    Age:       Child:             Sex:    Age:
NONE                                  NONE

{If the supportee is your wife or yourself, you need to enter all the
 children here, and enter WIFE to above "Relationship to Deponent", enter
 SELF if you want to sign the I-134 for yourself.}

4. That this affidavit is made by me for the purpose of assuring the United
States Government that the person(s) named in item 3 will not become a
public charge in the United States.

5. That I am willing and able to receive, maintain and support the person(s)
named in item 3. That I am ready and willing to deposit a bond, if
necessary, to guarantee that such person(s) will not become a public charge
during his or her stay in the United States, or to guarantee that the above
named will maintain his or her nonimmigrant status if admitted temporarily
and will depart prior to the expiration of his or her authorized stay in the
United States.

6. That I understand this affidavit will be binding upon me for a period of
three (3) years after entry of the person(s) named in item 3 and that the
information and documentation provided by me may be made available to the
Secretary of Health and Human Services and the Secretary of Agriculture, who
may make it available to a publici assistance agency.

7. That I am employed as, or engaged in the business of RESEARCH ASSISTANT
(type of business) with ____DEPT. OF ART, UNIV. OF MN___ (name of concern)
at ____XXXXX XXXXXX XXX____ (street and number) _____XXXXXXXX______ (city)
___MINNESOTA____ (state) _XXXXX_ (zip code)

{You need to provide supporting evidence for this section, see the Form
 I-134 instruction.  If you also file under CSPA while supporting your
 family members, you may use photocopies of evidences here and ADD A NOTE:
 originals are in separate file with applicant YOUR NAME/A# (if any)/SS#}

I derive an annual income of (if self-employed, I
have attached a copy of my last income tax return
of report of commercial rating concern which I
certify to be true and correct to the best of my
knowledge and belief. See instruction for nature
of evidence of net worth to be submitted.)      $9,000 plus tution waiver

I have on deposit in savings banks in the United
States                                               $ ____7,000_________

I have other personal property, the reasonable
values of which is                                   $ ____5,000_________

{This may include your car, home electronics etc.}

I have stocks and bonds with the following market
value, as indicated on the attached list which I
certify to be true and correct to the best of my
knowledge and belief.                                $ ____3,000_________

I have life insurance in the sum of                  $ _____0____________

With a cash surrender value of                       $ _____0____________

I own real estate valued at                          $ _____0____________
  With mortgages or other encumbrances thereon
  amounting to            $ _______0__________
  Which is located at _____________ (street and number) ____________ (city)
  ______________ (state) ______ (zip code)

8. That the following persons are dependent upon me for support: (Place an
"X" in the appropriate columb to indicate whether the person named is wholly
or partially dependent upon you for support.)

   Name      Wholly Dependent    Partially Dependent    Age    Relationship
of Person                                                         to Me

   HUA LIU       NONE                 NONE              25        WIFE
   WEI ZHAO       X (Listed in item 3) /                 4         SON
   LAN ZHAO       /                    X                 2      DAUGHTER

{In this example, the wife has her own job so she is not a dependent of
 the supporter, the SON is fully dependent of him and the DAUGHTER is
 partially dependent, he can claim his wife financially supports the
 daughter's living, the daughter is born in the U.S. so no need to apply
 for CSPA.}

9. That I have previously submitted affidavit(s) of support for the
following person(s). If none, state "None"

            Name                            Date submitted

        YI-MI ZHAO (MY FATHER)                  JUNE 6, 1992
        I SUPPORTED HIM TO VISIT U.S., NOW HE HAS LEFT U.S.

10. That I have submitted visa petition(s) to the Immigration and
Naturalization Service on behalf of the following person(s). If none, state
none.

   Name              Relationship           Date submitted

 NONE

{In CSPA applications, everyone files separately.  Later on if one files for
 his/her spouse and children accompanying of following to join person, he/she
 needs to enter their names here.}

11. (Complete this block only if the person name in item 3 will be in the
United States temporarily.)

{Leave this section BLANK, since the supporter supports the person to
 stay in the U.S. PERMANENTLY.}

That I ___ do intend  ___ do not intend, to make specific contributions to
the support of the person named in item 3. (If you check "do intend",
indicate the exact nature and duration of the contributions. For example, if
you intend to furnish room and board, state for how long and, if money,
state the amount in United States dollars and state whether it is to be
given in a lump sum, weekly, or monthly, or for how long.)

___________________________________________________________________________

                      OATH OR AFFIRMATION OF DEPONDENT

I acknowledge at that I have read Part III of the Instructions, Sponsor and
Alien Liability, and am aware of my responsibilities as an immigrant sponsor
under the Social Security Act, as amended, and the Food Stamp Act, as
amended.

I swear (affirm) that I know the contents of this affidavit signed by me and
the statements are true, and correct.

Signature of deponent ______(Sign supporter's name here)___________________

Subscribed and sworn to (affirmed) before me this ______ day of ___________,

19 ______ at ______________________. My commission expires on _____________

Signature of Officer Administering Oath _______________ Title _____________

{Many places/Notary Public can administer the Oath, such as Foreign
 Student Adviser's Office, Bank etc., see CND-US CSPA Info Exchange Package
 XIV item No.3 for details.}

If affidavit prepared by other than deponent, please complete the following:
I declare that this document was prepared by me at the request of the
deponent and is based on all information of which I have knowledge.

Signature __________________________ Address ______________________________

{The above entry is usually used by a lawyer}

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. What to Do If You Move/Travel During CSPA Application? ............... 55
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Lin Shi <[email-masked]> Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1993

Q: I will move at the end of the summer. So to avoid mail forwarding, I wish
   I could use my departmental address on Form I-485.  (That is, in Part 1.)
   Would that be acceptable by the INS?

Q: I have made a travel plan to go to Japan on July 5th, can I still make
   the trip after I file for CSPA?

Answer to the above and other peoples' similar questions:

I have obtained a copy of someone's application (employment-based I-485, not
CSPA) receipt which he received from INS, San Antonio. This receipt letter
indicates that there is procedure that allows an applicant to inform INS or
his/her address change after filing. The letter also indicates what to do
to travel outside of the States.

The following was not checked for typo after typing.

Standard Disclaimers Apply.

Lin Shi

===================Excerpt of INS Acknowledgement====================
DATE:   June 22, 1993                                    Axx xxx xxx

Dear Applicant(s):

This refers to your application for adjustment of status filed with this
office. Your Application has been received by the Examination Branch and
is being processed.

If you change your address or marital status, please notify this office
by letter, referring to the above file number.

You will be scheduled for an interview within 4 months from the filing
date. You will be notified when further action has been taken in your case.

To avoid further delay in the processing of your application, please do
not call or write to inquire about the current status of your case, unless
an emergency situation has arisen.

Please be advised that an applicant for adjustment of status for permanent
residence may not leave the U.S. without first obtaining an advance parole
(permission) from this Service or the application will be considered
abandoned and must be denied.

Sincerely,

xxxxxx xxxxxx
District Director

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. CSPA Implementation News from the IFCSS Headquarters ................. 60
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]> Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1993 18:22:13

      IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4148         June 26, 1993
             CSPA IMPLEMENTATION NEWS, JUNE 26, 1993

On the morning of July 25, staff at IFCSS CSPA Information Center
were told that INS local office in the state of Wisconsin continued
to withhold CSPA application forms from potential applicants. Upon
hearing the news, Heping Shi at the IFCSS HQ contacted Mr.
R.M.Miller, Deputy Assistant Commissioner of INS in charge of the
CSPA implementation, pointing out that this practice would put
students in Wisconsin to a great disadvantage in regard to
preparation of the application, since most district offices had
since long been distributing forms. Mr. Miller promised to look
into the matter immediately. In the afternoon, Ms. Rita Boie, the
officer who drafted the CSPA Implementation Regulations, called
back to inform the HQ that she had made a call to the INS District
Office at Chicago (Wisconsin is under its jurisdiction) and asked
them to provide Chinese students with forms. We hope that this time
it will work. We are not sure if there are other states like
Wisconsin, but no matter where you are, you can go and ask for the
forms. If a district office tells you that it has not received the
directive, ask them to contact Adjudication people at the INS
Headquarters.

During his conversation with Ms.Boie, Heping Shi also pointed out
that the addresses of two Service Centers (one in California and
the other in Texas) published in the Federal Register are different
from the addresses distributed by some INS district offices.
Ms.Boie said probably the ones in the Federal Register are the
right addresses, but she would have to make sure.

Heping Shi invited Ms.Boie to IFCSS 5th Congress, to which the
latter responded that she would be happy to come, but would have to
check with her boss. When Heping Shi told Ms.Boie that some
delegates to the 5th Congress were worried that the attendance of
the Congress would delay their application, Ms.Boie laughed and
remarked that the delegates could just bring their application
forms to the Congress and file from there. She added that if the
regulations were published before the delegates were on their way
to Kentucky, they could send the packages out before their
departure.

The HQ also contacted Department of Justice yesterday and was
informed that the Regulations were being studied at the White
House, but the "Additional Instructions" were already approved.
There was virtually no change from the version published in the
June 17th Federal Register. INS and Department of Justice have been
urging OMB for early approval. However, some delay seems to have
been caused at the last moment. We have already voiced our concern
over the delay to OMB, which replied that they were aware of the
July 1st deadline.

The HQ staff will be meeting with INS officers next week regarding
specific questions arising from preparing applications. We will let
you know the answers as soon as we have them.

                 IFCSS Headquarters Office

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|                    Editor of This Issue: Bo Xiong                        |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
l
|  China News Digest (CND) offers the following services:                  |
|     (1) Global News (daily)        (2) US Regional News                  |
|     (3) Canada Regional News       (4) Europe & Pacific Regional News    |
|     (5) Hua Xia Wen Zhai (a weekly Chinese magazine)                     |
|     (6) several information packages.                                    |
|  For subscription information, mail to: [email-masked]                 |
|  To get help, mail to:                  [email-masked]                 |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+