Subject: File: "ORGINTRO 3"

From: BITNET list server at KENTVM (1.7f) <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1993 12:12:31 -0500

CHINESE YOUNG ECONOMIST SOCIETY (CYES)
              (USA)
           (receied November 24, 1989)

1. Introduction to CYES
2. Proposal For "China Economic Review", by D. Bruce Sun
3. Publications by CYES

1. Introduction to CYES
  Chinese Young Economist Society (CYES) is the largest and
independent association of Chinese students and scholars of
Economics, Business or other disciplines in the United States.
Most of them either are completing or have completed Ph.D.
degrees. The goals of CYES are to advance and disseminate
economics and management sciences in China, and to promote the
reforms in the Mainland China.

 CYES was established in 1985 in New York City and incorporated
as a non-profit organization in New Jersey. Its current
membership is 350. It has sponsored a number of symposia at
Harvard University, University of Michigan, etc., including the
one held at University of California-Berkeley, where CYES
initiated the dialogue between the economists from both sides of
the Taiwan Strait. CYES also sponsors a few publications: from
the Newsletter, Forum of Chinese Young Economists to China
Economic Review in both English and Chinese editions. These
publications are devoted to establishing an open forum for
scholars and practitioners on issues related to the reforms in
China.

 CYES activities are financed by the membership due and non-
political donations. CYES has received grants from The Ford
Foundation, National Academy of Sciences of USA, Fund for Reform
and Opening in China of New York, Foundation of Chinese Culture
of United Daily News in Taiwan, Ford Motor Co. Fund, University
of Michigan, etc. As a non-profit organization, CYES is in need
of funds to further expanding its endeavour of pro-democracy and
pro-reform. The efforts it has made are proved significant,
constructive, and fruitful.

 Chinese students or scholars of economics, business and
population in the United States are eligible to be CYES members.
Others who show interest in CYES could acquire the membership by
writing to the President of CYES: Prof. D.  bruce Sun, South
Stevens Hall, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469, U.S.A.

 The CYES members elect the Board of Directors and the President.
The officers serve a one-year term and are responsible for the
general management of the Society. The CYES Advisory Board
consists of well-known economists, including K.Arrow, G.Chow,
D.Perkins, W.Rostow, H. Simon, S.C.Tsiang, and T.S.Yu.

2. Proposal For "China Economic Review"
       by D.Bruce Sun, July 1989

   The drastic change in China, particularly the massacre in
Beijing, has shattered the environment of China's reforms of ten
years. It has at the same time smashed the dream that an open
society can grow from the grasp of a closed communist party. It
marks a turning point to both contemporary China and the Chinese
Young Economist Society(CYES).
   CYES is the largest independent association of Chinese
students and scholars of economics, business, law, and other
disciplines. Since 1985 when it was founded, CYES has made all
efforts to promote the reforms in China and academic exchanges
with world. It has sponsored numerous conferences and symposia,
published a number of publications, enhanced communication among
intellectuals of the mainland, America, and Taiwan, and helped
carry out the economic reform in China. While we lament of the
current chaos in China, we do not have slightest regret at what
we have done in support of the reforms in Mainland China.
Contrarily, we will struggle for democracy and social justice as
well.
   CYES has decided to continue its quarterly journal"China
Economic Review" which is being published in the Mainland China.
We must keep this voice to spread truth and knowledge of
economics and humanities, and to promote reforms from within in
any feasible way.
   We have confirmed the policy for publishing "China Economic
Review". It should directly address to the crisis China is now
facing; they should be workable to CYES members; and they should
be applicable to the real situations of China in 3-5 years.

3. Publications by CYES
<China Economic Review>

As a professional journal, CER is drawing extensive attention in
America and China.

English version
Editor:
  Weijian Shan, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Consulting Editor:
  Mao Yushi, Academy of Social Sciences, Beijing, P.R.China
Editorial Assistant:
  Philip Lee
Editorial Board:
  William H.Davidson, University of South California
  Robert Dernberger, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
  Ping Chen, University of Texas-Austin
  William Fischer, University of South Caroline
  Richard Holton, University of California-Berkeley
  Lawrence R.Klien, University of Pennsylvania
  Nicholas Lardy, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
  Gregory C.Chow, Princeton University
  Dwight H.Perkins, Harvard University
  Peter Schran, University of Illinois-Champaign
  Rosalie Tung, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
  Denis Fred Simon, Tufts University
  Ezra F. Vogel, Harvard University
  Changpo Yang, World Bank
  XiaoKai Yang, Monash University-Australia
  Meng-Hua Ye, The George Washington University

Chinese version
Editor in Chief: Shan Jianwei
Vice-Editor in Chief: Mao Yushi, Zuo Xiaolei
Editorial Board:
Ding Ningning, Ma Hong, Ma Bin, Sun Shangqing, Zhang Shaojie,
Zhang Weiying, Lin Yizhi, Lin Yifu, Zhou Xiaochuan, Zhou Qiren

<Forum of Chinese Young Economists>

The Forum of CYES is subscribed and collected quite a few major
libraries including Congress Library, Harvard University, and
Stanford Library, ect.

<XIAN(4)DAI(4) JING(1)JI(4)XUE(2) QIAN(2)YAN(2) ZHUAN(1)TI(2)>
(in Chinese)
 The vol.1 is published by SHANG(1)WU(4) YIN(4)SHU(1)GUAN(3).
The vol.2 is under printing in China.
Editor: Tang Min, Mao Yushi

----------------------------------------------------------------
The Fifth Annual Conference of CYES will hold at the University
of Pittsburgh on December 23th and 24th, 1989.
The chairman of organization committee is Dianqing Xu, Department
of Economics, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15269
(412)648-1799, (412)421-3090
-----------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
  CHINA BUSINESS ASSOCIATION
   (received October 30, 1989)

Gentlemen,

  We at China Business Association (CBA) - a unique non-profit
organization striving to fulfill an important mission - are
writing to you to ask for your financial contributions. We firmly
believe that in addition to contributing to a worthy cause you
will reap significant tangible benefits by lending assistance to
our organization.

WHO WE ARE
  Members of CBA come primarily from a group of approximately
30,000 mainland Chinese business executives, lawyers, bankers,
students, engineers and visiting scholars who have either worked
or studied in the United States. What brings us together is a
shared interest in promoting U.S.-China business cooperation
through our joint efforts.

WHAT WE DO
  CBA strives to create a forum through which its members can
keep in close touch with one another, and with both the Chinese
and American business communities. CBA also hopes to serve as a
vehicle through which its members can work together for the
promotion of U.S.-China friendship and business cooperation.
 With these objectives in mind, we are planning a broad range of
activities:
* Publishing journals and monthly newsletters and compiling a
frequently-updated resume book to be distributed among CBA
members and participating corporations.
* Sponsoring seminars and conferences on important issues
concerning U.S.-China businesses to bring together CBA members
prominent Chinese government officials and leading American
business executives.
* Organizing group meetings for CBA members with similar
interests to discuss business opportunities, exchange ideas and
develop career plans.
* Giving professional advice and assistance to those CBA members
who are interested in working with a corporation or running their
own business either in China or the United States.
* Providing consulting services to American corporations doing
business with China and to Chinese organizations with business
interests in the United States.

WHY SPONSOR CBA?
  By making a financial contribution to CBA, you will generate
significant goodwill among the Chinese people and government
leaders. In addition, you will receive a broad range of immediate
benefits such as:
* Access to information regarding a pool of bright and highly
motivated Chinese students and professionals, many of whom may be
interested in pursuing a career with your company.
* Receiving consulting services from highly qualified CBA members
on issues related to doing business with China.
* Free subscription to CBA newsletters, publication and resume
book.
* Participation in CBA sponsored seminars and conferences on how
to do business with China.
* Introduction to key Chinese business executives with whom you
wish to develop long-term relationships.

STATEMENT OF OBJECTIVES
  The purpose of CBA is
* To promote understanding and exchange and to create an
atmosphere of mutual trust between the Chinese and American
business communities.
* To foster mutually beneficial relationships between Chinese and
American enterprises engaging in business exchange.
* To assist members in fulfilling their academic and career
development goals, and to created a forum for the exchange of
information and expertise among members and Chinese and American
business institutions.

DISTINCTIVE CHARACTERISTICS
* CBA is a not-for-profit organization.
* CBA is designed to be a centre in facilitating business
exchange and interaction by means of pooling human resources, to
encourage entrepreneurship and creativity of members in pursuing
their professional and academic goals, and at the same time, to
bring into full play their expertise in different disciplines.

ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE
* Board of Directors
  The Board of Directors is the highest decision making apparatus
of CBA. It bears the sole responsibility for making decision on
such matters as laying out general programs and guiding
principles of CBA's operation and development, and for appointing
management.   The Chairman of the Board of Directors is elected
by a majority vote of the Board members to serve for a term of
one year.
  The first Board of Directors was selected one basis of
consensus and consultation. CBA's by-laws set forth detailed
provisions with respect to the election of CBA directors
consistent with the Not-for-Profit Corporation Law of New York.

* Management
  The management apparatus, which consists of personnel and
committees appointed by the Board of Directors, is responsible
for CBA's day-to-day operations.

* Board of Honorary Advisors
  The Board of honorary advisors consists of prominent Chinese
and American economists, business executives, legal scholars and
attorneys, lawyers, entrepreneurs and financial experts who
provide assistance and guidance to CBA.

LOCATION
  The headquarters of CBA is located in New York. Branch offices
may be established in cities around the world as the Board of
Directors in its discretion deems appropriate.

FUNDING
  CBA fund will be generated principally from membership fees
individual and institutional contributions. Contributions will be
used for CBA's activities, including conferences, research and
training facilities and general operational expenses.

MAJOR ACTIVITIES
  The CBA's scope of activity encompasses the following
activities:
* To hold conferences and seminars on economic development,
trade, financial markets and law and management as vehicles for
individuals and institutions doing business between China and the
United States to share their experience. Prominent figures in
Chinese and American business communities may be invited to
participate in such events as guest speakers.
* To undertake special research projects and provide services to
Chinese and American business and individuals to promote and
expedite trade, managerial and financial exchanges.
* To establish service and information network by means of
fostering participation and exchange related to U.S.-China
business activities.
* To publish a periodical newsletter and other journals which
will contain a description of activities for its members,
articles on the dynamics of business interaction between China
and the United States and other information germane to CBA's
purpose.
* To hold periodic informal gatherings for members in order to
create a forum for sharing academic expertise and developing
friendships between individuals with similar interests.

MEMBER OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS

Chairman:  Tong Mao
Vice Chairman:  Erhfei Liu

Sherry X. Gong,
Ph.D. Candidate, Development Economics & Int'l Trade Economics
Department, Graduate School of CUNY

Ning He,
MBA, Graduate School of Business, Univ. of Texas at Dallas
Vice President, MicroStep, Inc.

Jiansheng Jin,
Ph.D. Candidate, Graduate School of Business, Harvard University
President, China Peace(U.S.) Ltd.

Xiaoming Li,
J.D. Candidate, School of Law, Duke Univ., International Economic
& Trade Arbritation China Council for the Promotion of Int'l
Trade

Grace King,
MBA, Finance & Int's Business, Graduate School of Business
Columbia University,
Associate, Corporate Finance Merrill Lynch Capital Markets

Erhfei Liu,
MBA, General Management, Graduate School of Business, Harvard
University,
Associate, Corporate Finance, Goldman Sachs & Co.

Tong Mao,
J.D., School of Law, Columbia University,
Associate, Baker & McKenzie

J.M.Tong,
MBA, Ngt. Info Systems, Graduate School of Business, University
of Wisconsin-Madison
President, MicroStep, Inc.

Weiming Tu
MBA, Husson College,
Business Consultant

Wei Wang,
Ph.D. Candidate, International Economics, Fordham University,
Economist & Assistant Manager, Bank of China

Emma Ou Xiao,
MBA, University of California at Los Angeles,
Associate, Securities Sales Division, Goldman Sachs & Co.

Wen Xiew,
Ph.D. Candidate, Marketing Research, Department of Sociology,
Columbia University

Zhuang Yang,
Ph.D. Candidate, Comparative Management, Graduate School of
Business, Columbia University,
MPA, Woodrow Wilson School, Princeton University

Betty Hua Yao,
MIM, The American Graduate School of International Mgt.
China Representative, Trade-interface Co.

Rui Zhang,
Ph.D. Candidate, Mgt. Science, Graduate School of Business,
Stanford University

BOARD OF HONORARY ADVISORS

Louis Begley
Partner, Debevoise & Plimpton
Ding, Chen
Member of the Board of Directors
U.S.Representative, China International Trust and Investment
Corp.

R. Randle Edwards
Professor of Law and Director, Center for Chinese Legal Studies
School of Law, Columbia University

Robert A. Hefner, III
Chief Executive Officer, The CHK Company

Richard C. Holbrooke
Managing Director, Shearsen Lehman Hutton Inc.

Robert D. Hormats
Director, Goldman Sachs International Corp.

Roger W. Sullivan
President, The US-China Business Council

Wang, Xuebing
General Manager, Bank of China, U.S.A.

Yue, Jixian
President, China United Trading Corporation Ltd.

Zhu, Dazhi
Chairman & President, Sinochem ( U.S.A.) Inc.

---------------------------------------------------------
China Business Association
P.O.Box 1713
New York, N.Y.10025
Tel: (212)321-2678
Fax: (212)321-3719
----------------------------------------------------------

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ please send your comment about this porgram to:                          +
+                                                                          +
+ Dong Ping Deng (Social Culture China)    e-mail: [email-masked]    +
+ Weihe Guan (China-Net)                   e-mail: inr@uga                 +
+ Hong Lin   (China Study Forum)           e-mail: linhong@mcmaster        +
+ Gang Xu    (China News Digest)           e-mail: gxu@kentvm              +
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++