Subject: Memo: Refute the Unfounded Allegation by HQ

From: chair (IFCSS Council Chair)
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 93 15:05:28 CST

Date: 23 Dec 1993 7:56:59EDT
 
Subject: refute
 
Memo
 
Date:   December 19, 1993
 
From:   IFCSS Council Financial Committee
 
TO:             IFCSS Council
                IFCSS SVC
 
CC:             IFCSS HQ
 
RE:             Unfounded Allegation by HQ Against Council Inspection Team
 
The IFCSS HQ in its memo on December 9, 1993 accused the Council
Financial Inspection Team of violating the Financial Regualtions on the
allegation of no proper authorization of Mr. Bai Yan as a member of the
Inspection Team and the lying by Zhou Hongguang to HQ about such an
authorization and the confidentiality of IFCSS financial records. The
basis of the HQ's accusations has so far been proved groudless and the
similar accusations raised within the council has also been refuted in
accordince of IFCSS BY-Law and Regulations at earlier time (For details
please refer to the Appendex 1 and 2).
 
The Finance Committee reaffirms that MR. Bai Yan has been as a member of
the Inspection Team by Zhou Hongguang, the coordinator of the Inspection
Term within the Resolution CR5020 and the Article 11 of IFCSS Financial
Regulations. And he acted accordingly.
 
Without any inquiry with the Finance Committee, the HQ allegation of
possible leakage of sensitive information reminds us of the claim of
catching spies within IFCSS in the past years. The sensitive documents
claimed by the HQ are actually the cashed checks payable to the 6.4
victims and their families in the their or their friends' REAL NAMES.
Almost all the registered checks were cleared through the Bank of China
in China and the transaction records are kept in the Bank and will be
kept until foreseeable future. And the IFCSS HQ has called and is still
calling for general public donation for the 6.4 victims. The Finance
Committee cannot see why this kind of information is sensitive and to
whom it is sensitive. Furthermore, as a non-profit organization
registered in the United States, IFCSS is required by the Maryland
Cooperation Law to open its financial situation to the general public.
 
In spite of the fact that Mr. Bai Yan has agreed to be bound by the
Agreement of Confidentiality when he was authorized as a member of the
Inspection Team, the HQ unfounded suspicion and the uninvited,
illegitimate and rude interrogation of Mr. Bai Yan by Mr. Lou Lishi, a
member of the Supervisory Committee, during the 2nd Council
Teleconference have brought the question of the legitimacy of IFCSS
which claims represents all Chinese students and scholars in the USA.
When Mr. Bai Yan, an ordinary Chinese student and PHD candidate in
Administration in Non-profit Organization, came forward to volunteer his
time and to contribute his knowledge and experiences for helping
improving the IFCSS financial management. What we should express to him
should be welcome and being delighted rather than suspicion and
questioning. Only in this way can IFCSS establishes its credibility and
attract more participation of CSS.
 
To lie is to make up a story to cover something or to cheat somebody in
order to cover facts by purpose. The mission of the Inspection Team is
to UNCOVER facts in the IFCSS HQ financial records and not to cover
something there. We have no reason to cover something in the IFCSS
financial records by lying what's-so-ever to the HQ as alleged. We are
accused of wrongdoing and lying for only thing-- we are looking for and
cover facts in the IFCSS financial records.
 
We are quite clear about our motivation for alleged mistaken actions is
to cover the facts in the IFCSS financial records in order to improve
the management. However, we have so far failed to understand why the HQ
made such false allegation against us.

*************************************************************** appendix 1

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1993 22:55:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: Liqun Dong <[email-masked]>
To: IFCSS Council <[email-masked]>
Subject: Taiwan Trip, Auditing, and My Acount
 
To All Council colleagues:
 
1. Taiwan Trip.  IFCSS delegates group will visit taiwan from Feb 16 to
March 2 or 3. Taiwan will pay half of airplane fee and expense in Taiwan.
And all the participators need to pay anohter half travel fee. Please send
me a mail or a fax no later than Oct 28 if you are interested in this
trip.

2. IFCSS Accounts Auditing. I hope we can finish this tough event as soon
as possible. Yes, there might be some problems in the IFCSS financial
system and it definitely should be improved. But at first, we should find
out what and where the problem(s) is(are). The second teleconference will
be coming soon. Thanks for Qi Bing, Liu Chen, and Hongguang's hard work
and Bai Yan's help. Hopefully, we can complete the auditing soon.
-------------------
 
Best Regards,

Liqun Dong
 
********************************************** Appendix 2 

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1993 11:57:41 -0800 (PST)
From: Liqun Dong <[email-masked]>
To: IFCSS Council <[email-masked]>
Cc: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>, IFCSS SVC <[email-masked]>
Subject: On Several Currrent Issues

Dear Council colleagues:
 
    There are several critical points araised in the IFCSS nets. I think
all of us should put our attention on them. I'd like to hear from you
whatever through council-wn or council-i. The following are my oppinions:

----  On the IFCSS HQ Memo to SVC (Dec. 9, 1993; Subject:  The Violation of
Regulations by Some Council Members)
 
     It is written in the memo: "However, in second council
tele-conference, Council Chair Dong Liqun declared that he had known
nothing about such disclosure or Bai Yan's authorization beforehand."
 
     I think it is mis-stated somewhat. The fact is that I was informed
that Mr. Ban Yan would join the inspection team few days (2-3 days)
before the team left for D.C. What I said in the 2nd teleconference is
 
     "It is the Finanal Committee's authority to invite whoever
participates in the team. It is not my responsibility to approve such an
invitation, and moreover, I don't have such a right to do so. But it is
not appropriate that the team, the Committee, and I did not inform it to
all other council members and the HQ beforehand."

 
Liqun Dong