Subject: fwd - Appeal to SVC (fwd)

From: Liqun Dong <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1993 19:53:40 -0800 (PST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1993 22:12:31 -0500 (EST)
From: Jinghong Li <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Jinghong Li <[email-masked]>
Subject: fwd - Appeal to SVC

-- 

Liqun,

Please forward this to council-l net if possible.  Please comment
if you are interested.  I should stress that I do believe you and 
your colleagues are trying to do good.  But, as we all do, from
time to time we are just carried away by our own imagination of
self-rightness.  I may be wrong on this issue, also.

Because I have not seen any improvement since several appeals
to the council, the last the thing left for us is the SVC :-)
thank God we have a balanced structure.

:-)

Jinghong

 .........................................................................
When in doubt, do the right thing.

=================

------------------------------------------------------------------------
  
Subject:   Appeal on Council Illegal Activities
To:        IFCSS SVC
From:      Jinghong Li, signed
Date:      Dec. 6, 1993

This appeal has been triggered by the attached message, council member
Ding Yungui's public announcement about a "task force on HQ financial 
inspection".
 
My 5 concerns and 5 requests are:

Concern 1.
    
    Any committee or working group within the IFCSS Council can and can 
    only be formed by Council resolution.  Mr. Ding's announcement did not 
    mention any such resolution, nor any other formal council activity
    during or after the 2nd council teleconference.  Thus, the forming 
    of the said "task force" is not only void and but deprived other 
    council members', and therefore the council as a whole, rights and duty.

Request 

    SVC should consider declarng this announcement only expressed personal 
    opinion or suggestions on a particular issue.  A formal post is needed 
    on the council-l net to clarify the situation.

Concern 2.

    The said message showed that a lot of work and preparation must
    have occurred prior to the message.  But, contrary to the basic 
    principle of a open IFCSS Council, there has been no posts or discussions
    in the council-l net, which is the council's working net, leads to 
    the said issue.  

Request 

    The SVC should consider to request Mr. Ding and Council Chairman 
    Mr. Dong Liqun give public an explanation about:  when and how 
    such activities were conducted?   Are other council members aware 
    of their actions prior to the post ?  Why the public has been left 
    in dark? 

Concern 3.  

    Since the beginning of this term Council, its email working network
    has been re-arranged.  It seems the Council now has a formal Private 
    Working Net "council-wn".  This issue was raised and discussed
    in the ifcssvc network and response from Mr. Ding Yungui was given 
    as council-wn being a non-working net.  

    IFCSS's openness is established by many hard woring people during
    last 4 years.  Council email working net has been open for public 
    auditing since the 3rd term.  However, given the past five months 
    experience, that seemed not the case any more.  This question is 
    raised again by the attached post.

Request  

    SVc should consider to investigate the real situation of the Council 
    email network and its openness.  The Council owes the public an 
    explanation on whether and how its worknet is open to public auditing.

Concern 4.

    During the Council's HQ financial inspection process, an outside 
    volunteer, a non-professoional and non-finance major Chinese student, 
    had been invited to participate - without the knowledge and consent 
    of the Council.  This issue was raised before and during the Council 
    2nd telecon, but there has been no result.

    Again, in the attached message dated Dec 5, 1994, another non-official
    is invited to the investigate the IFCSS financial situation.

    It is a common knowledge that any company/organization has its own 
    internal business and confidences.  Anyone involved with thees information
    have to go through basic procedures, and may be required to sign 
    non-disclosure agreements.  This is to be responsible to both 
    parties so they won't face legal problems in the future.

    Some may argue that Council members did not sign such an agreement, 
    either.  When Council members took the position, they agreed to obey 
    the Constitution of IFCSS which prohibits them to damage IFCSS.  

    For this particular "volunteer", whose knowledge about finance was 
    from one or two courses took in a college, there is no justification 
    for him to be involved in IFCSS's financial process.  We probably 
    don't want to see that someone's mother-in-law will become a 
    "volunteer" and be invited to "inspect" the HQ's files soon :-)

Request

    The SVC should re-address the dignity of the IFCSS Constitution, 
    By-laws and rules.  It should also re-address that, within IFCSS, 
    everyone has to obey the rules.  Good intention can not replace the 
    right procedures.  

    If professional opinion is indeed required, the Council should 
    invite qualified professionals through legal procedures. 

    To do both IFCSS and this "volunteer" a favor, he should not be 
    involved in IFCSS financial process again.  All previous activities done 
    by this inapproperiately invited person should be declared void;  
    and his views expressed in this regard should be disregarded when 
    conducting IFCSS business.  Should there be any damages brought upon 
    IFCSS due to the said activities, they should be charged against the 
    responsible parties.  All similar activities should be prevented. 

Concern 5.

    In the attached message, it is mentioned that the Council finance 
    committee Chairman is busy, therefore, Mr. Ding is now in charge of the 
    finance subcom's duty of investigating the HQ financial situations.

    Each Council subcommittee has its own work and authority limits, Mr. Ding 
    is not a member of the said subcom, hence has no right to pass over
    the other two finance committee members to assume this duty.  If such 
    need do occur, new assignments should be formally and openly done by 
    council resolution.

    It should also be pointed out that each IFCSS Council member has equal
    rights and duty except the Chairperson's extra duty defined by the 
    By-law for chairing meetings.    

Request
  
    The SVC should consider to remind council members that in order to 
    better serve their duties as representatives of CSS, they should 
    read through, at least once, the IFCSS documents.  Because most of
    the errors or mistakes occurred are due to the lack of the basic 
    knowledge of the IFCSS rules and regulations.

-- the end 

=============================================================
Attached - Mr. Ding's Original Message
=============================================================

Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
Originator: [email-masked]
Sender: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 93 15:53:43 CST
From: [email-masked]
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Subject: The Council Financial Taskforce

Dear colleagues,

The IFCSS financial management has turned out to be an very important
work that deserves close attention of the Council. Financial management
is in some sense crucial to the general operation of IFCSS. It is also
a key part of IFCSS' professionalization.

The Council's Financial Inspection Team (IT) has been working hard 
with the coordination of the Council's Finance Committee. Due to the
nature of our volunteering work and the complicatedness and significancy
of the financial work, the Finance Committee has extended the IT to be
a taskforce (TF) to continue the financial inspection, general internal 
auditing, and improvement of the financial regulations.

Council members Zhang Feng, Liqun, and me have been added to the taskforce.
The Finance Committee is also considering to include other CSS with needed
expertise into the TF. The following is the current list of the TF:

      Shen Tong     (Finance Committee member)
      Qi Bing       (FC)
      Zhou Hongguang(FC)

      Ding Yungui   (Council member)
      Dong Liqun    (C)
      Liu Chen      (C)
      Zhang Feng    (C)
      Bai Yan       (of Texas, invited volunteer)
      Luo Ning      (of New York, invited volunteer, former SV member)

Hongguang has been coordinating the IT effort. Approaching the end of the
school terms, like many others, he is having a busy time for his finals.
Upon the request of the Finance Committee, I will be serving as the 
coordinator of the TF until Hongguang is available again.

I hope all of my colleagues in the Council will share your idea with
us. Your concern and/or volunteer will be welcome. If you know other students
who are willing to share with us their concern about IFCSS and/or their
knowledge in finance/accounting or other related fields, please feel free
to let us know. A better IFCSS could only be possible with the keen
participation from all CSS.

Thanks,

Yungui