Subject: Re: Protest Letter to CBS

From: Bing Qi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 May 94 19:08:25 -0500

Dear council colleagues:

I think we need a resolution to push HQ to do something on this.

Regards,

Qi Bing

======================================================================
Attached:
=========

Hi, Li XIao-lin:

It's a very impressive and well-written letter. I made a little 
adjustment.(underlined).  Hope  it will be helpful. 

Also, I co-sign on the letter.

Thank you for your hard work.

																																																	Bing Qi.
===========================================================================

From: [email-masked] (xiao-lin li)
Subject: Second Draft to CBS.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear CBS President,

We are very disappointed with the CBS Evening News on Thursday, May 19.
In this news program, Connie Chung made a report about the Chinese
spies in the United States. Besides a brief report about a restaurant
onwer who stole millitary secret for China, Ms. Chung claimed that
every day there are people entering the United States from
China legally and many of them could be spies. She used the words such as
"fish at the bottom sea" and "it could be your next door neighbor" 
to imply that any ordinary person with Chinese national origin
could be a spy for China. Such language will create serious distrust,
even hostility between the majority of American people and people
with Chinese national origin.

Most importantly, the report hinted that any Chinese who is hired by
an American Company might steal national secret for China.
We are concerned that such an irresponsible statement may produce an
even stronger discrimination against people with Chinese national origin 
who have already suffered some disadvantage in their career, job 
and livelihood.

It is our belief that most people with Chinese national origin
are law abiding citizens. Many of them have their love to both
the United States and China. They love the United States as a country
which privides them with freedom and hospitality. They love China
because the country is their motherland, a place where they have
their childhood memory. It is understandable that most of
them have good wishes to the Chinese nation. It is for this purpose
that they care about the economic development, the political
progress and human rights condition in China.

However, none of these should prompt the imagination that
they are spies trained to steal the American national secrets. Many people 
                                                               ============
worked for US companies and institutes, devoting their energy and intelligence
==============================================================================
for the prosperity of the country. Also, many of them
=====================================================

 have worked hard to enhance the understanding between
the people of China and America. They are working to bring China to the
international family. They are working on trade and academic communication
between the two countries. Many of them who enjoyed the hospitality
in the United States, returned the same good will to their
American friends when they went back to their home country.

As a generation of Chinese who witnessed the radical Chinese
Cultural Revolution in 1960-1970's during which many innocent
people were suspected as "KMT agent" and "American spies",
we are particularly sensitive to the allusion made in
the CBS report. We are concerned that such allusion
may contribute to a very damaging steorotype image of the people
with Chinese national origin. Although, we agree and even
admire the First Amendment of the American Constitution and
we believe Connie Chung and CBS should have the right for free speech,
we are seriously worried about the implication and impact of the CBS
report on the daily life of many innocent people.

We believe the American principle that a person is innocent
unless he/she is proven guilty. We love America for its democracy and
freedom. It is our belief that the potential
discrimination against people with Chinese national origin
as a result of the CBS report by Connie Chung is against the spirit of 
human rights.

We demand an apology from CBS and aired on CBS for Connie Chung's irresponsible 
                     =========================
statement and allusion. Otherwise we will stop watching the CBS Evening
News Program in order to protest its biased report and may also take legal 
                                                       ====================
action.
=======

---

From: ECHO WANG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 May 1994 17:59:17 -0400 (EDT)

Qi Bing wrote:

>>	I think we need a resolution to push the HQ...

	I strongly support.  (Unfortunately I didn't get to watch the news.) 
Could Qi Bing or Hongguang or whoever possible work one out?  The next 
tele-con is coming up.  Just in time.

Wang Jing