Subject: Forward Re: MFN letter

From: Songlin Ren <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 1994 16:57:06 GMT

>From [email-masked]  Mon May 16 15:12:27 1994
Date: Mon, 16 May 1994 10:09:25 -0500
From: [email-masked] (Yuhe Liu)
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Re:  letter drive for MFN renewal (fwd)
Status: R

Dear Liu Cheng and Others:

Although I favor the unconditional MFN to China, I can't agree the
petition letter to the US President and Congree for the unconditional
renewal of the China's MFN. The point of view that the letter
expressed on the human rights was basically the same as the Chinese
goernment which emphasised that the human rights should have different
standards because of the different cultural and historical background
and different devolepment. Also the letter used the so-called "anti-
western" movement as a threaten to the US-Sino policy, which I don't
think is true. I haven't seen any news reports and other evidences
that showed there have been such movement in China since 1980's, except
the 6.4 event which was the biggest "anti-western" movement since the
beginning of the century, the government sent 300,000 troops to Beijing
to kill Chinese people who demanded their rights as human beings.

Please Liu Cheng forward my comments to the letter initiator and the
Council net. Thank you.

Yuhe Liu