Subject: MFN.motion

From: Songlin Ren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 1994 18:36:48 GMT

Because of the deadline of US renew MFN is coming, many argument of
MFN is appeared in the IFCSS V club. SVC member Lu Ping complain the
5th council did not do anything for the issue. Acturally, I posted 
my motion of MFN to the council in March and seconded by Zhang Feng.
But, the council ignored my motion. 

I think that all of us have same point -- like to see
China will continue has MFN next year and also agree that 
human right record is not good in 
China. I agree with you, MFN is very helpful for China ecnomic growth, and
human right also is very important issue for China future. All of us would
like to see both economic growth anf human right improvement in our country.

The facts we face is as following: 

(1)  the US government has attached Human Rights conditions a year ago. 
Chinese government has been requested to meet them in order to renew MFN. 

(2) human right in China is not meet the condition.

(3) we all want to see china has progress in both economic and human right.

(4) what and how can we do in the MFN issue, in order to pushing china to 
right direction. 

We should base on above facts to do something. The linkage of human right
to MFN is US government's decission. We can write letter to US government
to say that MFN is good for both China and US. We also can do something for
Chinese government, to tell them that if MFN is gone you will have real
hard time for the economic, and so on. Why cannot we do some real thing except
cry each other?	I suggest we do something to test China human righ is better
or worse. For example, we ask chinese government that we want to visit
some political prisoner to see the real things in the china jial. 

I have 4 weeks vacation. I can go to china to do this, if council
and HQ want to send a person to there. If Chinese government let
IFCSS to visit chinese jail, we just go ahead to push US. We can
say the human right is getting better, and so on.

I raise the following motion to council, we should come to contact with
Chinese authority to express our concern and our idea.   

Songlin Ren
IFCSS Council member

**************************************************************************

To:     IFCSS Council 
From:   Songlin Ren / 
Date:   May 15, 1994

CC:     IFCSS SVC, HQ, IFCSS V Club

Sub:    Emergency Motion to IFCSS Council:

     IFCSS to Work on MFN Issue so it can be extanded for year 94-95 
Whereas China's MFN status with US will be reviewed and subject for 
extantion in June;

Whereas the US government has attached Human Rights conditions a year
ago.  Chinese government has been requested to meet them in order to 
win the next renew of MFN for year 94-95;

Whereas the US government has indicated through many chennles that 
fundamental conditions have not been met by the Chinese government;

Whereas Chinese government has so far failed to take more serious steps 
to win MFN status for the next year;

Whereas risk for China to lose its MFN status is higher than ever before,

Be it resolved, that,

IFCSS, particularly, its executive branch - the President, should make  
every effort to contact and urgy the Chinese government to express
our concern about the MFN, and send a representative to China to 
visit polital prisoner in the jail. Upon sufficent evidents that 
significant improvments can be acheived in time, 
IFCSS may help to push for renewing China's
MFN status. 

**************************************************************************

The following is the motion which I made and second by Zhang Feng in
March.

To:     IFCSS Council 
From:   Songlin Ren / 
Date:   March 1, 1994

CC:     IFCSS SVC, HQ, IFCSSVC

Sub:    Emergency Motion to IFCSS Council:

     IFCSS to Work on MFN Issue so it can be extanded for year 94-95 
Whereas China's MFN status with US will be reviewed and subject for 
extantion in June;

Whereas the US government has attached Human Rights conditions a year
ago.  Chinese government has been requested to meet them in order to 
win the next renew of MFN for year 94-95;

Whereas the US government has indicated through many chennles that 
fundamental conditions have not been met by the Chinese government;

Whereas Chinese government has so far failed to take more serious steps 
to win MFN status for the next year;

Whereas risk for China to loss its MFN status is higher than ever before,

Be it resolved, that,

IFCSS, particularly, its executive branch - the President, shall make 
every effort to contact and urgy the Chinese government to improve its 
human rights record.  Upon sufficent evidents that significant improvments
can be acheived in time, IFCSS may help to push for renewing China's
MFN status for the next year. 

******************************** END ***********************************