Subject: My opinion: on Lin's hunger strike.

From: Bing Qi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 94 16:18:17 -0500

Dear colleagues:

As an ordinary Chinese student, I hope to see MFN of China be renewed for the 
further prosperity of China, and in a long runrun, I think it will benefit China 
with improvement, both economically and politically. On the other hand, I also 
have great sympathy for those people who devote their freedom for the democracy 
of China for the future. Also, for us who took part in the 89 pro-democracy 
movement, it is more correct in moral sense to press Chinese Government to 
improve more in its human right record. 

It's really delemma to me, and also to many of you too, I think. I read the 
interview in XHWZ with Wang Juntao the other day. He said he and Chen Ziming 
both supported the renewal of MFN in the jail. But after coming out, he changed 
his idea a little. He is afraid that people would think that he is sacrificing 
his friends' freedom if he further support the renewal of MFN. It may give us 
some clue.

In my opinion, MFN will not be suspended at least this year. Both sides will 
find their own excuses. And we are not among those who can make the difference, 
which even makes me a little relieved because it's really tough to take any 
side. However I don't have objection for anybody to express his or her own 
opinion on this issue. Anyway it's a free country.

But, as a council member, I have difficulty in understanding Lin Changsheng's 
not informing council before whatever improtant actions, take some examples, 
China trip, Austrilian trip, the House hearing, hunger-strike before the White 
House... I wonder if IFCSS is some private organization or as it claims is the 
representitive of CSS in the US? Although it's hard for HQ to find out every 
CSS' opinion about MFN, it should not be too hard for them to discuss it with 
the Council or at least inform the Council, who come from local CSS grassroots, 
before each of such action. In my impression, even a private organzation has to 
talk to its council about big issue.

As for my exprience in IFCSS in this term, I have the feeling that IFCSS is used 
by some people for his own purpose. Or, maybe, as it was once claimed by some 
perticular person, it's their own business and property. Maybe he was just 
telling the truth, unfortunately.

Regards,

		                                                     Qi Bing