Subject: National speed limit repeal approved by subcommittee

From: [email-masked] (John Carr)
Date: 4 May 1995 13:07:09 GMT

The Senate Transportation Subcommittee has approved repeal of the
national 55/65 MPH speed limit as part of a transporation bill.
Approval by the full committee is required before consideration
by the Senate.

-- 
    John Carr ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (John Carr)
Date: 4 May 1995 22:28:40 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
 <[email-masked]> wrote:

>I think god has answered my prayers. Something tells me this enlightenment
>won't spread to Massachusetts, even though our Governor Willy Weld got
>nailed in New York for 74 in a 55. 

Just a couple years ago the state expanded the 65 mph zones, so they aren't
entirely opposed to raising speed limits.

I wouldn't be surprised to see consistent 65 (or possibly even 70) MPH
limits on Interstates (except near Boston and 91/291 in Springfield).

-- 
    John Carr ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (John Carr)
Date: 4 May 1995 22:15:12 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
..RT ka pyara Boy.. <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>What would it mean if it got approved?

The states would have the power to set speed limits higher than 55
(near cities) and 65 (elsewhere).

Until 20 years ago, interstate highway speed limits were typically 65
in the Northeast and 75 in many other states.  Some western states didn't
have speed limits.

The effects of repeal will vary by state.  Some states haven't increased
speed limits to 65 yet.  Others have tried to evade the federal limit and
will probably respond by increasing limits to 75 or higher.

-- 
    John Carr ([email-masked])

---

From: "..RT ka pyara Boy.." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 16:58:56 -0400

-ALI

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 May 95 16:34:41 EDT

Darren

---

From: [email-masked] (John Carr)
Date: 4 May 1995 22:15:12 GMT

-- 
    John Carr ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 4 May 95 20:52:56 EDT

> What would it mean if it got approved?
First, if approved by the full committee, it would go on to debate on the 
Senate floor. There, Senators would add all kinds of useless and unrelated 
amendments, possibly including things as diverse as farm subsidies, aid
to a foreign despot, or initiating a tax on air. They might even debate 
the merits of the bill. Then they would vote.

If passed, it would then go to the House 
Transportation subcommittee. There, more useless amendments would be added.
It would then go to a full committee for approval. If it passes the House 
committee, it goes through a rules committee, and eventually on to debate
and still more useless amendment addition. If approved by the House,
it will not even remotely resemble the Senate bill. A conference committee
of Senators and Representatives will meet to make the bills look the same 
again, removing many of the useless amendments. It will then go back to
the House and Senate for a re-vote. No changes can be made. If it is 
approved again by both the House and the Senate, it then goes to the 
President. The president has the option of signing the bill, and putting it
into law, or he can veto it. If vetoed the bill goes back to House and Senate 
for possible overturn of the veto.   

Obviously, not a sure thing, but at least the issue is being raised 
(only about fifteen years to late, IMHO). Still, there is hope that we 
will no longer be burdened by the federal restrictions. I'm writing to 
my state Senators and Representatives (even those outside my district)
and asking that they support this bill. 

Then it would just be a matter of getting the state legislatures to raise
the limits within your state. 

See, it's really simple :-) 

					Darren

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale 'Speedy' Maurice)
Date: 8 May 1995 10:35:49 -0400

> and asking that they support this bill. 

Well I've never written anybody about anything, but this I will.  What
is the name and number of the bill?  This will help enlighten our
congressmen.

dale

--
_____________________________________________________________________________
Dale Maurice            UNIX(tm) Systems Manager, Competitive Media Reporting
Virginia Beach, VA      [email-masked], [email-masked]

"Time is just one damn thing after another.."
_____________________________________________________________________________

---

From: Oliver Arnd Markwirth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 1995 23:09:40 -0500

> > and asking that they support this bill. 

The stupid national speed limit of 55-mph had a clause to self-destruct 
in 1974, but the politicans wined and dined by insurance lobbyists kept 
it from self-destruct on false assumption that speed kills. Idiots and 
lousy driving educations do kill!

Mr. Cc

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim Hogard)
Date: 12 May 1995 21:30:50 GMT

Mark Moore ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In <[email-masked]> Oliver
: Arnd Markwirth <[email-masked]> writes: 

: BTW, in most arguments about raising the speed limit some genius always
: remarks that speed kills. However, as a method of combating these
: mental giants I ask the following ; 

: "Well if that were the case then everyone racing in the Indy 500 would
: be dead after 10 laps, Right ?? "

I like the other comment, "No national speed limit will cost lives"

Any guess on what states will raise their limits?  I'm sure Missouri
won't.   I suspect that Texas will have a few 70Mph roads and
Oklahoma might follow a lead from Texas.  There are other states
that have wide open interstates but I don't expect to see any
"Speed limit 100" signs anytime soon.

-tim

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Moore)
Date: 10 May 1995 02:12:58 GMT

In <[email-masked]> Oliver
Arnd Markwirth <[email-masked]> writes: 

>The stupid national speed limit of 55-mph had a clause to
>self-destruct in 1974, but the politicans wined and dined by insurance
>lobbyists kept it from self-destruct on false assumption that speed
>kills. Idiots and lousy driving educations do kill!
>
>Mr. Cc

I AGREE!! 

BTW, in most arguments about raising the speed limit some genius always
remarks that speed kills. However, as a method of combating these
mental giants I ask the following ; 

"Well if that were the case then everyone racing in the Indy 500 would
be dead after 10 laps, Right ?? "

Their answer ; Uh????

Later....Mark.