Subject: Cruising at 100MPH

From: Frank Chang <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Sep 1995 04:15:59 GMT

Is it okay for a car's engine if you cruise at a constant 100MPH for say 
3 hours? I'm sure they do this on the autobahn, so my guess is that it 
is okay. But the engine would be at something like 4800-5000 RPMs the 
whole time. Any comments?

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 20 Sep 1995 02:53:47 -0500

> whole time. Any comments?

You didn't bother to specify the car.  In a '95 Camaro Z28 (which is only
turning 2500rpm in sixth gear at 100mph) you could go all day at speeds
well in excess of 100mph.  In an '83 Mazda 626 (which had a top speed of
only about 105mph) I would highly discourage maintaining 100mph for more
than a brief interval.  Besides, where in New Jersey can you maintain
100mph for 3 hours?

---

From: [email-masked] (Glenn Painter )
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 14:18:49 CST

In article <[email-masked]> Frank Chang <[email-masked]> writes:
>From: Frank Chang <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: Cruising at 100MPH
>Date: 20 Sep 1995 17:26:59 GMT

>[email-masked] wrote:

>>You didn't bother to specify the car.
><snip>
>>Besides, where in New Jersey can you maintain 100mph for 3 hours?

>A BMW M3. And who said I was confined to driving within New Jersey? :)

>Frank Chang
>Princeton University
>[email-masked]
In article <[email-masked]> Frank Chang <[email-masked]> writes:

...snip...
>A BMW M3. And who said I was confined to driving within New Jersey? :)
>Frank Chang
>Princeton University
>[email-masked]
___
Frank, I would think an M3 would have everything necessary for sustained 
hi-speed driving.

----------------------------------
Glenn Painter (SESI)
[email-masked]
----------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Glenn Painter )
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 07:09:32 CST

In article <[email-masked]> Frank Chang <[email-masked]> writes:
>Subject: Cruising at 100MPH
>Date: 20 Sep 1995 04:15:59 GMT

>whole time. Any comments?
___
Having spend some time in Germany, I brought the same question up to a German 
friend.  He told me the most important component to have is a good oil cooler. 
 The use of a synthetic  motor oil probably wouldn't hurt either.  It also 
goes to reason that the more gears you have (i.e 5 or 6 speed) would be 
better.  I talked to a Corvette owner to regularly cruised the autobahn at 
around 100mph.  He told that in 6th gear the engine wasn't even working that 
hard.

---

From: [email-masked] (John Baker)
Date: 21 Sep 1995 17:56:29 GMT

Frank Chang ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Is it okay for a car's engine if you cruise at a constant 100MPH for say 
: 3 hours? I'm sure they do this on the autobahn, so my guess is that it 
: is okay. But the engine would be at something like 4800-5000 RPMs the 
: whole time. Any comments?

Depends on the car to some degree.  Some cars are only turning
about 2500 at 100 mph.

My GS-R turns about 5200 rpm at 100, but i cruise over 100
when the opportunity presents itself.  I also drive winding
mountain roads with the engine above 5000 (in various gears)
for hours.  No problem.  After an hour between 6000 and 8000
I know why race drivers wear ear-plugs though !!

JB