Subject: Re: Driving a manual

From: [email-masked] (Dimarcrj)
Date: 22 Sep 1995 20:50:22 -0400

The clutch slips a little every time you start out in 1st gear.  It simply
means that it is not fully engaged.  You can also slip the clutch if, say,
you downshift from fourth to third and let the clutch out slowly. You
feel the car decelerate a bit as the clutch forces the engine revs back
up.
This type of slipping is what you want to avoid.  Add a little gas before
letting out the clutch in downshifts to bring the engine revs up to match
the gear you're going to.

Dumping the clutch means engaging the clutch, applying gas (usually a
lot),
then moving your foot of the clutch a letting it pop out immediately on
its own
resulting in a drag race type holeshot.  Doing this often will wear your
clutch,
wear your tires, and possibly getting you a ticket :(

Later,
Ray DiMarcello
[email-masked]