Subject: Re: TOP SPEED? (was: cruising at 100 mph)

From: [email-masked]
Date: 27 Sep 1995 18:17:43 -0500

Bob Brown ([email-masked]) wrote:
> I consider myself as somebody who knows about cars but there's something 
> I will never understand: Why do we all worry about top speed and all that 
> stuff if the speed limit in the states is 65 mph? Is it just because we 
> like to know this kind of stuff? I mean, what if the top speed is 120 mph 
> or 240 or 360 mph, the fastest we can get away on a public road is (if 
> you don't get caught) 75 maybe? 85 pushing your luck...
> Please, comments are welcome.

There are certain areas in certain parts of the country where, at certain
times of the day, you can safely travel at 100mph+ for a brief interval 
(depending on your car).  In fact I accidentally dialed up 145mph the
other day in my Q45 (accidentally?).  However, you are absolutely right.  
For the most part, discussions of top speed are purely theoretical.

---

From: Paul Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Sep 1995 04:06:37 GMT

>> Please, comments are welcome.

First, if you drive 130mph for two hours,
you should find yourself arrive at a place
that normally takes you four hours.

Second, it's like stereo. People buy 200W
stereo don't necessary want to listen at
200W all the time. But listen to stereo
at arround 30W output. You will find a
big difference between 60W and 200W
stereo.

When you drive a car that is capable
to go 140mph, it sure is much more
powerful than one that can go only 70mph.

---

From: Oliver Arnd Markwirth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 02:04:34 -0500

> that normally takes you four hours.

it DOES make a big difference in West Texas! It is SO impossible to stay 
alert at 65mph when the highway is literally straighter than a ruler! You 
feel tempted to push the throttle pedal down to hurry up with mind-
numbing serenity of same scenery for 500 miles! I couldn't stand driving 
at 65 mph when I travelled through American West two years ago that I 
followed the speeders for miles and miles. Don't be surprised to see 
so many cars speeding over 80mph on the highways between Dallas and 
Houston rather than sporadic speed demons.

Top speed does mean something if some idiots want to play the demolition 
derby with you and you need to get away from that idiot as fast as you 
can! You'll be thankful that the car can do 130mph rather than 80mph!

Mr. Cc

---

From: Oliver Arnd Markwirth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 02:26:02 -0500

> For the most part, discussions of top speed are purely theoretical.

Montana is one state I drove through where I pressed my car over 100mph 
for a few hours without seeing the coppers cruising and eating doughnuts. 
Wyoming is other state, especially the two-lane roads.

You can follow a caravan of several cars at 80 to 90 mph between Dallas 
and Houston as well as in West Texas. It means that Texans think of 65mph 
speed limit as real as three-dollar bill.

Mr. Cc

---

From: [email-masked] (Gumby)
Date: 28 Sep 1995 09:29:08 GMT

>speed limit as real as three-dollar bill.

Just don't go too fast in Leon county.  It is the only place I have seen
DPS, and they are there consistantly.  On 45, I am the one to lead the
caravan, usually at about 80.

Marc

---

From: [email-masked] (Frank Z. Chang)
Date: 27 Sep 1995 23:48:29 GMT

>Please, comments are welcome.

You've got to be kidding me. I can easily cruise at 100 MPH on the
interstates around here for extended periods of time without being
caught. The only thing that makes it dangerous is if you don't have
experience driving at that speed and all the other cars on the road who
are going below 70MPH. Now, I don't do this on a regular basis, but it
can be done. You just better know where the speed traps are and/or have
a good RADAR detector.
-- 
  	  ______________________________________________________
       		          [email-masked]
       		  BMW M3 _THE_ ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE
	  ______________________________________________________

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert T. Weverka)
Date: 28 Sep 95 10:35:19 GMT

>Please, comments are welcome.

  A while back we had a "personal top speed" thread.  Every once
in a while someone will get the urge to see what they can do, and
open it up.  In that thread a number of people posted what they
had taken their car to for fun.  Something that happens rarely,
but it is exciting nevertheless.
  I introduced a derivative thread "personal top speed with wife
in the car".  Another fun, and telling number.
  It's all in fun.  In some cars, on some roads, at some times, it
is safe to give it a go, and the enthusiast on that rare occasion
sometimes has at it.  Most the time you are right.

---

From: [email-masked] (Eric Bin)
Date: 28 Sep 1995 16:31:11 GMT

>Please, comments are welcome.

i don't know about you but the speed limit means nothing to me.  I go
as fast as I can based on conditions.  85-95 on clear sunny days, 75
in light rain and 55-65 in heavy rain.  In my limited travel in the
states I've only seen two state troopers the whole time, both of them
had someone on the side of the road with them.

Eric Bin
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Alexander Lygin)
Date: 28 Sep 1995 19:59:58 GMT

>Please, comments are welcome.

Once you pushed your luck, it's all the same you pushed it to 85 or 156.
And besides, there are tracks.

Sincerely,
	Alexander.

---

From: [email-masked] (FRED )
Date: 28 Sep 1995 23:43:25 GMT

>had someone on the side of the road with them.
                                                                       
  Eric, are you as stupid as you sound??? Don't you know that the road
is most dangerous when it is lightly wet. And in heavy rain if you hit
a large pool of water going that speed your going to go spinning. I
just hope that you don't hurt anyone else when you kill yourself.

---

From: [email-masked] (Henri R Helanto)
Date: 11 Oct 95 00:49:52 GMT

[email-masked] (Jeff Kuhn) writes:

>I wouldn't recommend to anyone trying to escape from the cops to avoid a 
>ticket.  A kid here at college from what I heard decided to try and 
>outrun a cop because he was just speeding.  Wound up hitting another car, 
>and totataling his BMW.  I'm not sure how he was doing.  I think he's 
>still in critical after 2 weeks.  

>The point is, you'll wind up hurting yourself and others.  Just take the 
>fucking ticket.

	The other thing to worry about is them revoking your license.
	If I know they will and the traffic (or lack of it) permits
	I, at least, shall give them a run for their money. You don't
	need to tell me, it's very irresponsible and so on but if I
	know that my license will be history if I stop I hell won't;
	besides, doing 160mph+ on a deserted highway may be even more
	of an adrenalin rush when the cops are after you... ;-)

	If it's just another 'ordinary' ticket I don't bother, of course.
	They don't affect insurance premiums around here.

-Henri
-- 
######  Henri Helanto         ###  [email-masked] / [email-masked]  
#####  Architecture Major    ####  Nissan Skyline GT-R 'Janspeed Special'
####  Net Admin             #####  '71 LS-6 454 Corvette Coupe
###  Sports Car Enthusiast ######  Fiat Uno Turbo - 'AARGH! Front wheel drive!'

---

From: [email-masked] (Henri R Helanto)
Date: 11 Oct 95 00:49:52 GMT

-Henri