Subject: U.S.250 in Western VA .... great driving road!!

From: [email-masked] (TMurphy737)
Date: 3 Oct 1995 18:29:05 -0400

I just returned from a weekend trip in Eastern Virginia.  I decided to
take the "long way" home and traveled U.S. 250 through Western Virginia
(and through the state of West Virginia). Through this region, U.S. 250 is
a low volume, two-lane rural highway (with minimal police traffic) which
traverses such adventurous terrain as high (that is, "high" by Western
Virginia standards) mountains  with scenic overlooks and great mountain
switchbacks and beautiful rolling pastures complete with postcard-esque
villages dotting the landscape.  U.S. 250 offers fantastic mountain
driving yet also provides flat (and, frequently, quite long) straightaways
for those moments where we can make up for some of that time "lost"
stopping at the scenic overlooks!  Between Elkins, West Virginia and
Staunton, Virginia, aside from the occasional "towns" (so small that there
usually isn't even a gas station) and ghosttown-like mining communities,
this highway is quite secluded.  Be sure to fill up before you get on U.S.
250 because there aren't very many places to stop.  Besides, with the
amount of farms (including a cute turkey farm by Churchville, Virginia)
and the National Forests (including George Washington National Forest in
Western Virginia), you won't want to stop ... except at those fantastic
overlooks.  But wait!  Just west of Waynesboro, Virginia, U.S. 250
provides us with a great place to pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway south
through North Carolina!  Just be sure to bring a camera or you'll regret
it .... I did.

TMurphy737