Subject: Repeal of National Speed Limit

From: [email-masked] (Brad Cuppy)
Date: 10 Oct 1995 13:21:26 GMT

Today, our "public servants" are back in DC. One of the items up for 
consideration is the repeal of the National 55 mph speed limit and there 
is opposition to it.

These are the people that are opposed to the repeal and we need to let 
them know that the public wants the national speed limit off the books.

The numbers are in area code  202

Senate:                        Voice               Fax
  John Warner (R-VA)          224-2023          224-6295
  Earnest Hollings (?-SC)     224-6121          224-4293
  Daniel Pat Moynihan (D-NY)  224-4451
  John Chafee (R-RI)          224-2921          224-6295
House:
  Nick Rahall (D-WV)          225-3452          225-9061
  James Oberstar (D-MN)       225-6211          225-0699

Check out the NMA Web Page:

http://www.msn.fullfeed.com:80/nma/

Phone Numbers of Congressman on Web Page:

http://ast1.spa.umn.edu/juan/congress/listing.html
   This web page is also linked thru the NMA on the Daily Update Page

---

From: NMA <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Oct 1995 18:23:34 GMT

The repeal of the speed limit is still in limbo....

The House-Senate conferees can't agree on letting Amtrak raid the highway 
trust fund or letting billboards be put up on scenic roads.  Those are 
the major problems, the speed limit is but a small player.

We keep an update on the progress on our website, but there won't be any 
change until the conferees meet again Tuesday.  And even then, there may 
not be any change.

On a separate note, the Gov. of California, Pete Wilson, signed into law 
a bill raising the max speed limit to 70 if the feds junk the NMSL.  It 
sailed through both houses there without a single negative vote!  (Hah!  
And the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety thinks they'll get a more 
fair hearing on the speed limit issue at the state level.)  This action 
may make it politically harder for Clinton to say no to the NHS bill, 
something he's not likely to do anyhow.

-- 
National Motorists Association      	Join the NMA!
[email-masked]                  	$29 a year.
http://www.msn.fullfeed.com/nma/    	Sign up online.

---

From: NMA <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Oct 1995 20:37:35 GMT

I haven't taken those particular roads, but I have driven on I-15 from 
Yellowstone to the Canadian border in Montana, or I-90 in certain parts 
of Montana.  Plus other, non-interstates as well.  

55 is a joke out there and in most other places of the USA.  Go over the 
horizon and you'll find another one not too far away but at 55 it will 
take forever to get there.  Montana may be the last great state for 
driving in, their $5 daytime speeding tickets are truly nice (no points, 
no insurance hits, no record of it, pay the cop on the roadside-no, it's 
not a kickback...)

Ever notice that 0, ZERO, NONE, not one state had a speed limit of less 
than 60 mph on their interstates before 1973 and since then we've been 
told that going over 56 on some of those very same roads is dangerous and 
we'll all be killed?  Do they really think people believe that?  

Anyhow, the speed limt repeal is still alive.  The conference committee 
members now call the shots, the staffers can't do a thing (by order of 
the members).  Other than people calling and faxing to get the bill 
passed, it's pretty much out of our hands.  About all we can do is watch.

The committee was supposed to meet yesterday but didn't.  I don't know 
what their schedule is, and sometimes I think they don't even know.

---

From: NMA <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Oct 1995 20:37:35 GMT