Subject: Re: Cops Tailgating (and Speeding)!

From: [email-masked] (Alexander M. Bilan)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 95 18:15:11

On Thu 13-Apr-1995  2:12p, Alex D Rodriguez wrote:

AR> Interesting.  Unless the cops have a second antenna facing toward the rear
AR> of the car, this is BS spread by some cop.  Then it still shouldn't worry

Well, then, its lots of clever footage put together by tv crews. =)
There is a reading for cruiser speed, forward radar, and rear radar, with the
radar unit itself mounted in the light bar, and the readout unit on the
dashboard.  

AR> It does nothing more than zap and get a speed.  Unless the officer is 
AR> watching the rear view mirror for extended periods of time, which would be

If he's driving as trained, he is aware of all vehicles around him. I remember
having that drummed into me way back in drivers ed, be aware of whats in front
of you, beside you and behind you.  

AR> reckless driving, he can't tell who or what is causing the speed reading
AR> he is getting.  Remember police radar cannot identify the vehicle causing
AR> a speed reading, it is up to the officer to take an educated guess.

True.  But if he is keeping a running glance of who is behind him for the last
few miles, pops the radar on, its only a small deduction to figure out its the
guy following. 
 
Mr.V-8
  //  The opinions expressed above are strickly the opinions of my fingers and
\X/   may not reflect the opinions of the other apendages.

---

From: [email-masked] (Alex D Rodriguez)
Date: 16 Apr 1995 12:57:46 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,

>of you, beside you and behind you.  

Being aware that a car is behind you and watching the car, and surrounding 
traffic, to see who is causing the speedreading are two different things.
When an officer is using radar he is _supposed_ to watch his unit to get a
reading that is above the limit that is set.  Then he is supposed to look 
down the road to see which vehicle is most likely to be causing the reading.
He is supposed to see if there is other traffic further down the road that 
might be causing the high speed reading.  He is also supposed to have been
aware of any weird readings he might have gotten, such as a blip in the
speed when the wind blows, during his time there.  That is why glancing in
a rear view mirror is not acceptable.

>few miles, pops the radar on, its only a small deduction to figure out its the

It is not a small deduction as I explained above. 

-----------------                                                             
Alex     __O    '86 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo                                    
       _-\<,_   '87 Alfa Romeo Milano                                       
      (_)/ (_)  '88 Vitus/Dura-Ace