Subject: BURN THAT COP? (was Re: Cops: Can't Live With Them, Can't Live , Without Them)

From: "..RT ka pyara Boy.." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 1995 19:33:58 -0400

If i'm cruising down the road at 100+ miles an hour and i pass a cop 
hidden who has just clocked me, I will try anything to avoid a ticket.  
Tickets at over 100mph are PRETTY EXPENSIVE.  I've done it a few times.  
I've 
been nailed by cops (who were hiding in ditches).  However, when you're 
already going that fast , it takes time for an officer to get out the 
ditch in which he was hiding, and then catch up to 
you.  So, I have taken the next exit, rolled into a parking lot and and 
just pretend like notjhing happened.  Note:  I only go this fast when 
there are few cars on the road.  Otherwise i try not to exxeed 100mph.  
This has kept my driving record CLEAN!

SO, I was just wondering, what is the penalty if you get caught doing 
this?  Can't you just say that you didn' t  know the cop was behind you?  
The times i have taken an exit, the cop car was still quite far from me.

Please comment!

ALI

---

From: [email-masked] (John F Carr)
Date: 23 Apr 1995 01:06:36 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
..RT ka pyara Boy.. <[email-masked]> wrote:

[story about evading cops]

>this?  Can't you just say that you didn't know the cop was behind you?  

You can say that, but the court has no obligation to believe you.
If I were deciding such a case, I would find it suspicious that
you happened to take the next exit after chase started.

	Prosecution: what was the destination of your trip?

	Victim: West Southbury

	Prosecution: Your home address is East Northville, and you
	go to school in South Westford.

	Victim: I mean, I was stopping for gas in West Southbury.

	Prosecution: The officer who impounded your car said the
	gas tank was over half full.

	etc...

In other words, have a good excuse or it's going to look really bad.
Even if your story is good, if the police officer doesn't like it or
doesn't believe it he can still harass you.

-- 
    John Carr ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (Matthew David Kase)
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 1995 04:13:23 GMT

Well as far as the penalty goes, in VA it's actually
less than reckless driving--no automatic loss of liscence. It's
called attempting to elude police and I believe it's a six
point offense.

Matt Kase
88 T-Bird TurboCoupe
UVa

---

From: [email-masked] (David B. Feig)
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 1995 22:37:03 GMT

John F Carr ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]>,
: ..RT ka pyara Boy.. <[email-masked]> wrote:

: [story about evading cops]

: >SO, I was just wondering, what is the penalty if you get caught doing 
: >this?  Can't you just say that you didn't know the cop was behind you?  
: >The times i have taken an exit, the cop car was still quite far from me.

: You can say that, but the court has no obligation to believe you.
: If I were deciding such a case, I would find it suspicious that
: you happened to take the next exit after chase started.

Well, the cop still has to prove it was your car he saw, and you driving it.
This being said, I do know of someone who was in this situation and
the court did believe that he didn't see the cop behind him (The cop is 
way way behind, remember, and you're really concentrating on what's
in front of you at that speed).

: 	Prosecution: what was the destination of your trip?

: 	Victim: West Southbury

: 	Prosecution: Your home address is East Northville, and you
: 	go to school in South Westford.

: 	Victim: I mean, I was stopping for gas in West Southbury.

: 	Prosecution: The officer who impounded your car said the
: 	gas tank was over half full.

: 	etc...

: In other words, have a good excuse or it's going to look really bad.
: Even if your story is good, if the police officer doesn't like it or
: doesn't believe it he can still harass you.

This scenario strikes me as unlikely, but I suppose you never know .. 

: -- 
:     John Carr ([email-masked])

---

From: [email-masked] (YAKMEISTER)
Date: 26 Apr 1995 15:03:39 GMT

>The times i have taken an exit, the cop car was still quite far from me.

Over 100mph?  In Taxachusetts, the ticket would equal this formula:

First 10 mph over = $50 fine.
EACH mile over after that = $1/per mile.

100mph in a 55 mph zone = $400 ticket.

I think that after 20 mph over it becomes "reckless driving" and you can
be arrested.  Of course, if you have a 100+ mph speeding ticket, the insurance
people JUST LOVE YOU!  You will keep their expense accounts flowing....heheh.

Kev

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Kevin Sheehan                        [email-masked]       |
| Iisacollegedropin                    Fitchburg State College            |
| Email - W word                       [email-masked]         |
| Here I am Moe!                                                          |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert King)
Date: 25 Apr 1995 21:42:44 GMT

In article [email-masked], [email-masked] (YAKMEISTER)

>100mph in a 55 mph zone = $400 ticket.

   I don't think so!  It should be:

      $50 + 45*$1 = $95 or $50 + 35*$1 = $85.

   Depending on how you interpret the second statement.

---
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Robert A. King                |                                       |
| Systems Software Engineer     |                                       |
| Kodak Health Imaging Systems  |    "I drank WHAT?!?" -- Socrates      |
|                               |                                       |
| [email-masked]            |                                       |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
| The opinions expressed here arn't even mine, much less my employer's! |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: copland timothy j <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 1995 15:01:02 -0500

> The times i have taken an exit, the cop car was still quite far from me.
I've done that too, but ...

1. Pleading ignorance will not get you off.

2. Better to pull into a rest stop...if the cop follows say 
"ok..whatever, write me a ticket but I've got diarea and you can write it 
when I get out. "  But remember to go and act like you really did have 
diarea...

3.  If it's at night...I keep a blanket in the back seat.  If I see a cop 
come out of the ditch I shut off my lights and pull over, put the blanket 
over me and act like I'm taking a nap.  If they come up to the window, be 
startled.  Tell them you've only been there about 15 min (your hood will 
be warm)  and that you had to pull over..you were too tired.

100+ tickets can be more than expensive, you can loose your licence.

Drive Safely

Tim

---

From: [email-masked] (John Tsung-Zone Lee)
Date: 27 Apr 1995 04:46:50 GMT

YAKMEISTER ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In article <[email-masked]>, "..RT ka pyara Boy.." <[email-masked]> writes:
: >
: >If i'm cruising down the road at 100+ miles an hour and i pass a cop 
: >hidden who has just clocked me, I will try anything to avoid a ticket.  
: >Tickets at over 100mph are PRETTY EXPENSIVE.  I've done it a few times.  
: >I've 
: >been nailed by cops (who were hiding in ditches).  However, when you're 
: >already going that fast , it takes time for an officer to get out the 
: >ditch in which he was hiding, and then catch up to 
: >you.  So, I have taken the next exit, rolled into a parking lot and and 
: >just pretend like notjhing happened.  Note:  I only go this fast when 
: >there are few cars on the road.  Otherwise i try not to exxeed 100mph.  
: >This has kept my driving record CLEAN!
: >
: >SO, I was just wondering, what is the penalty if you get caught doing 
: >this?  Can't you just say that you didn' t  know the cop was behind you?  
: >The times i have taken an exit, the cop car was still quite far from me.
: >
: >Please comment!
: >
: >ALI

: Over 100mph?  In Taxachusetts, the ticket would equal this formula:

: First 10 mph over = $50 fine.
: EACH mile over after that = $1/per mile.

: 100mph in a 55 mph zone = $400 ticket.

??? 50+35 = 400?

: I think that after 20 mph over it becomes "reckless driving" and you can
: be arrested.  Of course, if you have a 100+ mph speeding ticket, the insurance
: people JUST LOVE YOU!  You will keep their expense accounts flowing....heheh.

: Kev

: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
: | Kevin Sheehan                        [email-masked]       |
: | Iisacollegedropin                    Fitchburg State College            |
: | Email - W word                       [email-masked]         |
: | Here I am Moe!                                                          |
: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Bryan Chow)
Date: 27 Apr 1995 17:35:48 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
>: 100mph in a 55 mph zone = $400 ticket.

He meant $10/per mile for 10 above limit ($50+$350).

---

From: [email-masked] (Wei Hsiung Quek)
Date: 27 Apr 1995 01:22:14 -0600

these are all pretty good ideas if you drive a green civic or
black mustang. what if you were driving a yellow corrado with
a cosworth wing? any suggestions guys?

wei quek 
90 g60 (yellow)

---

From: copland timothy j <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 09:45:18 -0500

> a cosworth wing? any suggestions guys?
get a good job....one that allows you to pay high tickets and take time 
off for jail terms.

Tim

---

From: copland timothy j <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 10:12:59 -0500

On Thu, 27 Apr 1995, Trevor Battle -- WinTrumpet wrote:

> In article <[email-masked]> copland timothy j <[email-masked]> writes:
> >From: copland timothy j <[email-masked]>
> >Subject: Re: BURN THAT COP? (was Re: Cops: Can't Live With Them, Can't Live ,
> >Without Them)
> >Date: Wed, 26 Apr 1995 15:01:02 -0500
> 
> 
> 
> Be aware though.  The cop in the ditch could just be the radar man who radios 
> your cars make and license # to a whole bunch of cops up the road.
> 
> 
> Trev.
> 
> 
Trev...

That's true...another injustice in a world full of them...

but, state troopers and counties are usually far apart (trooper can be up 
to 40 miles apart, I think and are usually at least 5 miles apart...this 
gives you a couple of minutes).  You just have to keep your eys open.

Tim.

P.S.  I only do this late at night, and when I'm alone.  I don't promote 
unsafe driving.  Driving at over 100 should be done with great care and 
at a time of day where there is less traffic, less younger people and ...
:) less cops.

Don't jeopordize the life of someone you love.

Tim

---

From: [email-masked] (Jamie Yanak)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 21:14:05 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>,

> 1. Pleading ignorance will not get you off.

An astute observation.
 
> when I get out. "  But remember to go and act like you really did have 

Oh yeah, I'd really be fooled by that! (what kind of diahrea, diahrea of
the brain perhaps?)

By the way, FYI, the most common excuse encountered regarding why people
are speeding, is "I have to go to the bathroom." (My response to this
usually was "Don't worry, I write fast!"...It just doesn't cut it. If you
really want out of it, the more original the better.
 
> be warm)  and that you had to pull over..you were too tired.

Does this REALLY work in Canada????? ...*very skeptical look*

If so, your police can't be half as mean spirited and un-bending as some
of you Canadians have been painting them. IF YOUR TELLING THE TRUTH, they
also can't be half as smart as the average chimpanze:):):)*lots and lots
of giggles*

By the way, how does doing 100 mph save you time getting to your
destination, when to accomplish it you have to also resort to such things
as: 

1). Pulling off at exits, to avoid the police, then of course get back on
the highway again.

2). Pull over at the rest stop, have your discussion w/the cop, and of
course go in the shitter and pretend to have diahrea.

OBSERVATION: (IMHO)  I think it might just be faster to do 55-65 mph, and not 
have to waste time w/all this stuff. It might also work towards lowering 
your blood pressure, (not to mention your insurance rates!) At least it's
something to think about. 

J Y

*********************************************************************
 Jamie-Andrea Yanak    **   A pretty girl is an accident.
    CYBER-VIXEN        **   A beautifull woman is an accomplishment.
<[email-masked]>   **      **             **             **
*********************************************************************

---

From: copland timothy j <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 00:52:14 -0500

> Oh yeah, I'd really be fooled by that! (what kind of diahrea, diahrea of

well... put me in the back of your squad, smarty, and I'll show you what 
kind.

pee  U

> really want out of it, the more original the better.

gee...we are clever arn't we?  Do you show up in court too?  I'm so glad 
your out there protecting my female friends and family when they have 
break downs and I'm so glad you spend more time serving and protecting 
than you do wasting my tax$$$ on gas, tires and crapy Caprices to catch 
those "hoodloom speeders".

> Does this REALLY work in Canada????? ...*very skeptical look*

I dunno...I never speed in Canada.

> also can't be half as smart as the average chimpanze:):):)*lots and lots

I'm not from Canada...Never had a run in with a Mounty and never want to.

> something to think about. 
Jamie, Jamie, Jamie...so much to learn...

first off, I've NEVER gotten a ticket...for anything  (Three knocks on 
wood please...)

secondly, rarely do you ever need to resort to these little games because 
if your serious obout not getting caught, you run hot when know your 
chances are best (get a CB and a Radar detector...a good one) and you 
keep a sharp eye out for the fuzz.

Yes, it's saved me alot of time, and makes the trip a little more exciting.

Tim

---

From: copland timothy j <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 00:42:51 -0500

> <snip>
> > I've been nailed by cops (who were hiding in ditches).  However, when you're 
> > you.
> Yes, and every 500 feet of the pursuit; increases his *anger* level, and
> decreases his *mercy* level exponentially. 
> 

so keep some doughnuts in the glove box and bring his temper down with those

> > So, I have taken the next exit, rolled into a parking lot and and 
> > just pretend like notjhing happened.
> 
> Well isn't that just the most well thought out plan I've ever heard.
> You must have either very lazy, or very stupid cops where you live!
> I don't think I'd be fooled, just pissed off.
> 

Where do you patrol, I'd like to try you some time.  :)  do ya feel...lucky?

> >Note:  I only go this fast when there are few cars on the road. 
> Otherwise i >try not to exxeed 100mph.
> 
> How considerate of you. I'm sure the other people on the road whose lives
> your endangering really appreciate this concession to their safety on 
> your part. 
> 

OH COME ON... don't tell me that officers don't speed needlessly, because 
they do and there is no justification for this because they are no more 
qualified to drive their land yatch Chevys and Fords at high speeds than 
I am at driving my sports coupe at high speeds.  And don't give me the 
line about "cops do it more often, so this experience helps them" because 
that's bull crap.  I've been on several ride alongs with cops who are 
friends of mine and they don't give a rats ass about safety of other 
drivers when they wind it up to 110 in a 35mph zone...or a 55 zone...or a 
45 zone...

Maybe my friends were just showing off, but all they cared about was not 
getting caught doing it by their sarge...public safety was...less of a 
factor in their actions.  

<snip>

Tim

---

From: [email-masked] (Jamie Yanak)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 22:44:12 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>,

> well... put me in the back of your squad, smarty, and I'll show you what 

We had a guy who did that in his cell once, on purpose, when we brought
him back for DUI. He thought it was really cute...
Until a cop grabbed him by the ankles, and two more grabbed him by the arms,
and well you know, the longer their hair is the better of a mop they make.
I'll tell you,  that poor guy gave a whole new meaning to the phrase "Brown
Nosing."

> I'm not from Canada...Never had a run in with a Mounty and never want to.

*ooops* Gee, I'm...sorry, I must have confused you w/someone else. (See,
I don't even need a radar-gun to do that!) 

> Yes, it's saved me alot of time, and makes the trip a little more exciting.

Hmmmm, More exciting for you, or for all the cute little furry animals
trying to cross the highway at night:) 

J Y

---

From: [email-masked] (Jamie Yanak)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 20:37:25 -0400

> Tickets at over 100mph are PRETTY EXPENSIVE.  I've done it a few times.

Well, all I can say is that's not very clever. All your doing 
(if you do get caught, at least in the states) is going from a "speeding"
ticket; which will cost some money, and 2-points on your license. Or,
a "reckless (I spelled it right that time!) operation" ticket; 6-points 
on your license, TO: "Fleeing and Eluding a police officer," which is a biggy,
and can get you put in jail, as well as suspension of your license.

> This has kept my driving record CLEAN!

What can I say, except, "There really isn't any justice."
 
> The times i have taken an exit, the cop car was still quite far from me.

...*very loud laugh*.. Well if it was me,...lets just say...your in for a 
long night, enjoying all the ammenities, and hospitalities of your local
sheriffs dept. And, uh.. hope you got someone to drive you around for the 
next 6-months to a year.

By the way, I've got an idea: You and Alex D. Rodriguez can split the cost
of that new program "Mario Teaches Typing." It's geared for 8-14 year
olds, so it
should be just your guy's *speed*

J Y

---

From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Welsh)
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 95 18:41:40 EDT

> I'm not from Canada...Never had a run in with a Mounty and never want to.

I just *have* to speak up and dispel this myth about Canada and the Mounties.

Do all Americans (at least the ones who haven't met on-duty cops in Canada) 
think that the RCMP is the only police force in the country?  Do they really 
really expect that we wouldn't have Canadian equivalents to state troopers and 
city cops?

I probably see a Mountie as often as a typical American sees an FBI agent.  
Well, OK, less often if you count TV shows.  <grin>

On the other hand, I see cruisers from the Ontario Provinical Police on the 
highways and there isn't a grain of dirt for miles around here (Toronto) that 
isn't within the jurisdiction of some city or regional police force. 

> Yes, it's saved me alot of time, and makes the trip a little more exciting.

Indeed, excessive speeding can really save time on long trips.  However, 
experience is leading me to the conclusion that traffic, weather, or just 
plain luck prevent you from realizing those time gains when you really need 
them.  Making a two-hour trip in one hour in the middle of the night just 
because I can just isn't worth it.  Yes, I have done that... and better. 

These days I choose my speed in order to make for smoothest driving and, when 
there is no one else on the road I drive the speed that I think the cops will 
ignore (just in case one does decide to be strict, no more than 15 km/hr over 
the limit, at which point the demerit points and accompanying insurance hikes 
cost far more than the speeding ticket). 

Geoffrey Welsh [email-masked], [xenitec.on.ca|m2xenix.psg.com]!zswamp!geoff
       We can only hope that people will outgrow the need for government
      before the government finishes outgrowing the need for the people.

---

From: copland timothy j <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 01:48:11 -0500

> really expect that we wouldn't have Canadian equivalents to state troopers and 

no...just me.  I don't care what they are called, I call all Canadian 
police "Mounties".  I don't know what a RCMP is and I don't care..I don't 
drive in Canada except maybe twice a year.  By the way, I call all 
Canadians ....Canadians..should I be calling them Quebeckians or 
Torontonians...(we call people New Yorkers and such here?)  

Seriously though, I just don't care because I don't drive there and that 
was the only point that I was trying to get accross.

> because I can just isn't worth it.  Yes, I have done that... and better. 

I speed proportionatly to the length of the trip.  The longer the trip, 
the more I speed.  It's average speed that counts and so, like you said, 
traffic and all the crap really bogs you down so it really only works 
well when you have a long distance to cover.  On long trips you have lots 
of time to balance the speeding with the traffic.  I use a CB and follow 
truckers through cities when their is heavy construction or rush hour 
traffic .... I recomend this to anyone who is serious about maintianing 
a  high average speed.  These guys do help you out and they know every 
nook and crany .. ;)

> cost far more than the speeding ticket). 

Yeah, I agree..I take it easy unless I'm going more than 250 miles.  
Then, I try to maintain 75mph..ave... more than 400 mi and I can usually 
get about 80 mph ave.  I've never had the balls to do better  (I don't 
count the midnight runs to chicago at 110mph... My uncle likes to race me 
and we've done it twice...180 miles... in about 1hr, 40min...fun fun fun!) 

>       before the government finishes outgrowing the need for the people.
Drive safely,

Tim

---

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan M. Bartee)
Date: 1 May 1995 11:03:31 -0400

The gentleman is correct, nothing on the road is faster than radio,
and not much can go through a roadblock at that speed unscathed.

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Freedman)
Date: 1 May 1995 16:12:01 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>,
>Don't jeopordize the life of someone you love.

   Curiosity question - do states / countries which allow high speeds on
selected highways take special care to ensure safety ?

   Specifically,

1.  Driver examination. I certainly don't have the training or reflexes to
drive at 160kph. Some days, I barely manage to parallel park without
totalling my car :-)/2   (I "ground" myself if I'm feeling REALLY ill. It
just isn't worth the risk).

2.  Vehicle condition. Many vehicles aren't designed for high speeds even
when new and in perfect repair. I needn't bore you with the condition of
many vehicles still being driven  (brakes ? nawww .... I just stick my foot
through the hole in the floor and drag it until the car stops).

  I used up my lifetime allocation of luck when the camchain on my Honda 350
motorcycle snapped. I had just passed a truck and was preparing to change
back to the righthand lane. There was a station wagon tailgating me. (I
clutched, swung onto the dotted line separating the two lanes, and was
passed on the right and left by the truck and the station wagon,
respectively).  

3.  Road condition. Higway 401 (major artery across Southern Ontario) is
littered with debris - remnants of truck tires, mufflers, assorted rubbish.
That's in addition to small squished animals and large half-repaired road
faults. 

   My close calls / falls involved that Honda 350 (I was young and foolish -
I'm older now :-)). Sand/oil in corners, railway tracks ALMOST parallel to
the road (about 5 degrees off), that sort of thing.

   I'm also curious about safety in the following scenario.

   I'm travelling at 110kph. I approach a truck travelling at 100 kph. To
maintain forward visibility and reduce the sandblasting, I like to pass
trucks. I check the mirror, accelerate to 120kph (used to pass at 140kph
before photo-radar, now everyone passes at 110kph, extending the time in the
"danger zone" and getting sandblasted), check the mirror, pull into the
passing lane. Halfway past the truck, some yahoo appears on my rear bumper
braking from 160kph+ and rather annoyed. 

  I have checked for traffic approaching at reasonable (i.e. close to
average) speed and moved out when the road within my range of vision was
clear. I cannot effectively anticipate someone approaching well above the
speed limit (possibily out of view because of curves or hills), nor can I
effectively judge the speed  when it's well above average. IMO It is the
responsibility of "Sterling Moss" to be aware of these facts and anticipate
slower vehicles passing trucks.

   How are these problems addressed in Germany or Nevada (I believe Nevada
is the state with no speed limits ?).

-- 
   [email-masked]   Mark Freedman (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)

---

From: copland timothy j <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 16:50:13 -0500

> is the state with no speed limits ?).
Mark:

You sound like you have good judgment and know your limits.

I feel that I also have these qualities and I am very confident when I 
drive at high speeds.

As for the cars...I disagree with you.

As for the laws and precautions of other countries...I'm stumped.

Sorry I can't answer your query.

Tim

---

From: [email-masked] (Sheldon Gee - CENG/W94)
Date: 1 May 1995 21:01:49 GMT

:[email-masked]> 
<[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Distribution: 

copland timothy j ([email-masked]) wrote:

: On Thu, 27 Apr 1995, Jamie Yanak wrote:

: > In article <[email-masked]>,
: > copland timothy j <[email-masked]> wrote:
: > 
: > > I've done that too, but ...
: > > 
: > > 1. Pleading ignorance will not get you off.
: > 
: > An astute observation.
: >  
: > > 2. Better to pull into a rest stop...if the cop follows say 
: > > "ok..whatever, write me a ticket but I've got diarea and you can write it 
: > > when I get out. "  But remember to go and act like you really did have 
: > > diarea...
: > 
: > Oh yeah, I'd really be fooled by that! (what kind of diahrea, diahrea of
: > the brain perhaps?)

: well... put me in the back of your squad, smarty, and I'll show you what 
: kind.

: pee  U

: > 
: > By the way, FYI, the most common excuse encountered regarding why people
: > are speeding, is "I have to go to the bathroom." (My response to this
: > usually was "Don't worry, I write fast!"...It just doesn't cut it. If you
: > really want out of it, the more original the better.
: >  

: gee...we are clever arn't we?  Do you show up in court too?  I'm so glad 
: your out there protecting my female friends and family when they have 
: break downs and I'm so glad you spend more time serving and protecting 
: than you do wasting my tax$$$ on gas, tires and crapy Caprices to catch 
: those "hoodloom speeders".

: > > 3.  If it's at night...I keep a blanket in the back seat.  If I see a cop 
: > > come out of the ditch I shut off my lights and pull over, put the blanket 
: > > over me and act like I'm taking a nap.  If they come up to the window, be 
: > > startled.  Tell them you've only been there about 15 min (your hood will 
: > > be warm)  and that you had to pull over..you were too tired.
: > 
: > Does this REALLY work in Canada????? ...*very skeptical look*

: I dunno...I never speed in Canada.

: > 
: > If so, your police can't be half as mean spirited and un-bending as some
: > of you Canadians have been painting them. IF YOUR TELLING THE TRUTH, they
: > also can't be half as smart as the average chimpanze:):):)*lots and lots
: > of giggles*
: > 

: I'm not from Canada...Never had a run in with a Mounty and never want to.

: > By the way, how does doing 100 mph save you time getting to your
: > destination, when to accomplish it you have to also resort to such things
: > as: 
: > 
: > 1). Pulling off at exits, to avoid the police, then of course get back on
: > the highway again.
: > 
: > 2). Pull over at the rest stop, have your discussion w/the cop, and of
: > course go in the shitter and pretend to have diahrea.
: > 
: > OBSERVATION: (IMHO)  I think it might just be faster to do 55-65 mph, and not 
: > have to waste time w/all this stuff. It might also work towards lowering 
: > your blood pressure, (not to mention your insurance rates!) At least it's
: > something to think about. 
: > 
: > J Y
: > 
: > *********************************************************************
: >  Jamie-Andrea Yanak    **   A pretty girl is an accident.
: >     CYBER-VIXEN        **   A beautifull woman is an accomplishment.
: > <[email-masked]>   **      **             **             **
: > *********************************************************************
: > 
: > 
: Jamie, Jamie, Jamie...so much to learn...

: first off, I've NEVER gotten a ticket...for anything  (Three knocks on 
: wood please...)

: secondly, rarely do you ever need to resort to these little games because 
: if your serious obout not getting caught, you run hot when know your 
: chances are best (get a CB and a Radar detector...a good one) and you 

Radar detectors are illegal in Canada, even if you are just visiting.
Not a flame, just some info cause I like to make my trips a little more 
exciting too. 

P.S. Truck drivers ARE allowed to carry radar detectors up here and they 
usually start their emergency flashers while on the road when they detect 
some waves.

: keep a sharp eye out for the fuzz.

: Yes, it's saved me alot of time, and makes the trip a little more exciting.

: Tim

---

From: [email-masked] (Jamie Yanak)
Date: Mon, 01 May 1995 23:19:35 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>,
copland timothy j <[email-masked]> wrote:

 I've been on several ride alongs with cops who are 
> drivers when they wind it up to 110 in a 35mph zone...or a 55 zone...or a 

Oh, yes those Illinois Cops...

Sounds to me like they've seen the Blues Brothers one to many times...
Orange whip?...Orange Whip?...3-Orange Whips please...

J Y

---

From: [email-masked] (MATT WAXMAN)
Date: 3 MAY 95 14:44:34 GMT

There's a difference between YOUR and YOU'RE Mr. 65. YOU'RE is a contraction 
(you and are put together), as in "YOU'RE driving too slow old man," where as 
YOUR is possesive, as in "YOUR car would be lucky to reach 100mph, stop 
complaining." By the way, there's also a program called GRAMMATIK which would 
made life easier to understand for the rest of us (maybe you too).

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Dunn)
Date: 3 May 95 20:09:45 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Mark Freedman) writes:
$1.  Driver examination. I certainly don't have the training or reflexes to
$drive at 160kph. Some days, I barely manage to parallel park without
$totalling my car :-)/2   (I "ground" myself if I'm feeling REALLY ill. It
$just isn't worth the risk).

   I don't believe my "road" test (not on real roads, mind you)
took me above 40 km/h, and there are very little if any other traffic
on the fake road to distract or threaten me.  From this, they
concluded that I was capable of driving at 100 km/h on a road with
a variety of other traffic around me, doing a variety of other speeds,
and many of the drivers doing stupid things.  In fact, they rated
my ability at 96% of perfection.

   Of course, now that I have several years and a heck of a lot of
kilometers of driving experience in a variety of weather and
traffic conditions, I'd probably score lower on the test.

   We _definitely_ need these silly testing procedures fixed.
Also, they tested me at age 16.  I don't believe I have to take
another test for another fifty or sixty years unless I give them
reason to require it.  I guess they consider that it's not possible
to pick up bad habits or have differing skills over one's lifetime.
-- 
[email-masked]                         ...!{xrtll,gts.org}!united!steved
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stephen M. Dunn, CNE, ACE, Sr. Systems Analyst, United System Solutions Inc.
104 Carnforth Road, Toronto, ON, Canada M4A 2K7          (416) 750-7946 x251

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Freedman)
Date: 7 May 1995 10:46:06 -0400

>my ability at 96% of perfection.
   If there was an inexpensive / convenient "advanced" driver training
course, I'd take it (I'm aware of skid schools and other courses which are
neither cheap nor convenient). Unfortunately, I suspect these courses may
encourage overconfidence in those so inclined. IMO controlling a skid on a
normal road (mix of dry/slush/bad pavement) is quite different from
controlling a skid on a skidpad (uniformly wet, smooth).

>to pick up bad habits or have differing skills over one's lifetime.

   I read about a small survey done in England which showed a LARGE
percentage of drivers failed to meet the requirements for vision. One
officer was nearly run over as he tried to flag down a motorist - the driver
didn't see him. (I suspect that the driver who ran over me a few years ago
was looking the other way for cars, but she may also have had reduced
vision).

   I was quite amused when I groped my way into the ophthalmologist's office
after eye surgery, and he asked if I'd driven down :-(   I'm PRETTY sure he
was serious.
-- 
   [email-masked]   Mark Freedman (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)

---

From: copland timothy j <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 00:42:51 -0500

<snip>

Tim

---

From: copland timothy j <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 00:52:14 -0500

pee  U

Tim

---

From: [email-masked] (MATT WAXMAN)
Date: 3 MAY 95 14:44:34 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Welsh)
Date: Tue, 09 May 95 19:29:52 EDT

> Torontonians...(we call people New Yorkers and such here?)  

RCMP = Royal Canadian Mounted Police, fromerly the Northwest Mounted Police 
(in the Klondike days).

Should I call all American cops "feds" or "narcs"?

> the more I speed.

That's the way that gets results.  Unfortunately, at least in southern 
Ontario, speeding regularly on long trips when there isn't much traffic is 
asking for a ticket (photo radar or otherwise).

> and we've done it twice...180 miles... in about 1hr, 40min...fun fun fun!) 

Hmm, I've held ~150 MPH on relatively short trips (~60 miles... but, at that 
speed, what isn't a short trip?) in the wee hours of the morning but, as I 
said, doing that a few times is a sure way to get a cop's attention!  No 
longer, and I don't miss it all that much.